The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
RonSwanson

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by RonSwanson »

So Julian Sanchez, a libertarian writer for Reason and a freedom of information advocate, would like the state to lie about Islamic Terrorism.

If people like him don't want transparency from their government (I'm assuming to not radicalize and alienate Muslims) then we are truly fucked.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

HunnyBunny wrote:This may also take some stomach to read through:
A French government committee has heard testimony, suppressed by the French government at the time and not published online until this week, that the killers in the Bataclan tortured their victims on the second floor of the club.
The details are not for the faint-hearted.

https://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-france- ... -massacre/
Wow. My normal reaction to this shit is more sarcasm and bad jokes. Fuck.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

OK, folks.

It's now a federal crime to visit a website when the owner has told you not to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... -visit-it/

The 9th Circuit has turned in some bad decisions, but this takes the soggy biscuit.

OTOH, I can turn a lot of you into crims a lot more easily now.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The truck weighed 19 tons.
Really Phil? - You had to start with the weight-shaming?

Billie from Ockham

Lsuoma wrote:OK, folks.

The 9th Circuit has turned in some bad decisions, but this takes the soggy biscuit.

If this is the case involving using Facebook's event-announcement system to SPAM even after Facebook sent a C&D letter, then it's probably much narrower than you're suggesting. Plus, they deserved to lose.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Please don't. I'm too pretty for prison.

I wonder if this will embolden FiBs and other SJW blogs to tell their critics to stay away, or if they're too addicted to drama and clicks.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
A French government committee has heard testimony, suppressed by the French government at the time and not published online until this week, that the killers in the Bataclan tortured their victims on the second floor of the club.

I feel like the commission should have explored this more completely, hideous though it is. Right now, you have hearsay from a cop who didn't actually see this himself, and a bereaved parent who also wasn't able to see for himself (thankfully) but was told that this had happened by, presumably, a forensic examiner (I imagine that the psychologist who was with him would not have shared those particular details). They should have spoken directly to investigators on the second floor, and to the forensic examiners.

Choosing not to release the bodies to the families could conceivably be explained by the extent of injuries caused by explosives. I'm not saying that I don't think it's true - I can't think why someone would have told a parent this if it wasn't - but based on the evidence heard, this narrative could be dismissed as apocryphal. Which may have been the intent.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Not that we are a democracy - but users have already voted as to who should be jailed via the ignore function.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

BTW, it looks like Sony's revised estimate for GB was a lowball - last figures I say suggest 45-50m this weekend. Which would ordinarily be a pretty amazing opener for a comedy, but will still be disappointing for a movie that cost 150m + to make. It might not be low enough to put them off doing a sequel though. Ah well.

I'm more worried it won't discourage more studios from trying to leverage polarization as a marketing force.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Not really a "normal" reaction to this but what can we expect from a group that delight in sadism and know they are going to be martyred? I always feel a bit blank after learning something like this as I can't understand doing this.

Phil really glad your okay. must have been awful for your band mates. However you can now point to a plus from your desire to kill yourself on a bike! (Sad joke I'll leave quietly now)

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Coup in Ankara?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

- Apparently Turkish PM says group within military involved in attempted coup. This is an onging situation. Google it for updates. Also, internet access in Turkey is currently problematic.

- There are reports that Mick Jagger expecting eighth child and that she is sweet sixteen 29 while he is 72. Word is he has no intentions to wife her up.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsp ... _getty.jpg

Oh dear! What to do? Which story will our dear SJW latch onto? Inquiring minds want to know.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/turk ... index.html

Turkish military units attempt uprising, PM says
Some Turkish military units have attempted an uprising that will be not allowed to succeed, the country's prime minister said late Friday in a phone interview with Turkish broadcaster A Haber.

A report from the U.S. Embassy in Ankara said military-appearing jets had been flying low over the city and over Istanbul for about an hour.
Two bridges in Istanbul are closed in one direction by the military.
Developing story - more to come
Is military appearing jets the same as "AR-15 like"?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Someone was so ninjaed he is now a kung fu master.

Somebody. And I believe you know this person very well.

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/turk ... index.html

Some Turkish military units have attempted an uprising that will be not allowed to succeed, the country's prime minister said late Friday in a phone interview with Turkish broadcaster A Haber.

A report from the U.S. Embassy in Ankara said military-appearing jets had been flying low over the city and over Istanbul for about an hour.
Looks like the military has taken over several news outlets, including the state run TV.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So Nintendo creates a game that finally gets people the fuck out of the house, and this woman hates interacting with the world. I guess she could not play the game which bring her out into the world.

Or she could wear a shirt that explicitly communicates her desire to not be interacted with instead of expecting people to read her mind.

https://i.sli.mg/ILiHC8.jpg

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

This is potentially very bad news. Turkish military believe Erdogan is soft on Syria. This could be a very bad showdown between Nato and Putin.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:

Looks like the military has taken over several news outlets, including the state run TV.
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationmin ... nister.jpg

All is well. Nothing to see. Just hang out in your homes tonight and watch tv. I hear Hawaii 5-0 is real good tonight.

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote: http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationmin ... nister.jpg

All is well. Nothing to see. Just hang out in your homes tonight and watch tv. I hear Hawaii 5-0 is real good tonight.
Heh.

Looks like the Military is telling people to do just that. Meanwhile the Mayor of Ankara is telling people to take to the streets over twitter. (Not sure how he has Twitter, since it was reported that FB, Twatter and other SM had been shutdown, or who expects to read his twats.)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

A coup in Turkey? If the Islamists and social justice warriors are upset and angry, then it can only be good news.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Lusuma, thank you for the "Phil lives" header!

As soon as I heard about the attack in Nice, my first though was" oh Shit Phil!!"

Glad t see he is OK.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

If this is the case involving using Facebook's event-announcement system to SPAM even after Facebook sent a C&D letter, then it's probably much narrower than you're suggesting. Plus, they deserved to lose.
It might be intended to be narrow, but that doesn't mean it will be interpreted that way. Read the WaPo article - it's a good discussion.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
So Nintendo creates a game that finally gets people the fuck out of the house, and this woman hates interacting with the world. I guess she could not play the game which bring her out into the world.

Or she could wear a shirt that explicitly communicates her desire to not be interacted with instead of expecting people to read her mind.

[bimg]https://i.sli.mg/ILiHC8.jpg[/img]
Or a red tag?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

It's a bit different. They're probably trans-fighter jets, i.e. Airbuses attempting to pass as F15s rather than as the more usual attack jelicopter. Fucking transphobe journalists.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Snapfingers wrote: This is potentially very bad news. Turkish military believe Erdogan is soft on Syria. This could be a very bad showdown between Nato and Putin.

If the democratically (hem-hem) elected government is overthrown, wouldn't that put the status of that country as a treaty signatory directly into question?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Apparently not...
By and large, when a country undergoes a change in leadership, even one that that happens as a result of somewhat dubious action, international treaties stay intact in a legal sense. Unless a treaty allows a signatory to withdraw, the 1969 Convention on the Law of Treaties, the treaty that more or less sets the framework for how treaties work within the context of international law, makes it pretty hard for a country to leave said treaty. Essentially, a country is bound to a treaty unless:
https://www.quora.com/Are-treaties-cont ... ter-a-coup

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Cnutella wrote:

It's a bit different. They're probably trans-fighter jets, i.e. Airbuses attempting to pass as F15s rather than as the more usual attack jelicopter. Fucking transphobe journalists.
I have a friend in the state department. I am totally telling his gay ass that they need better sensitivity training.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Cnutella wrote:
Snapfingers wrote: This is potentially very bad news. Turkish military believe Erdogan is soft on Syria. This could be a very bad showdown between Nato and Putin.

If the democratically (hem-hem) elected government is overthrown, wouldn't that put the status of that country as a treaty signatory directly into question?
Yes, but it will be complicated for weeks. The turkish military were in power during the cold war, is very secular and western. Generally well regarded in terms of human rights (except if you are Kurdish). Erdogan has brought this on himself.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Have the usual suspects blamed Mossad/Israel yet, for the Turkey coup?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

If the citizens of Turkey had the right to own Shermans this wouldn't be an issue.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote:In other news about those fun loving and family-oriented Muslims ...:
[. tweet][/tweet]
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that meme/image has been debunked.
Dang! There goes another fond illusion. ;-) But thanks for the heads-up, and to Brive for the Snopes link.

However, a somewhat more credible story that supports the general argument from the Washington Post about Pakistani imams:
Bill banning child marriage fails in Pakistan after it’s deemed ‘un-Islamic’

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

How many more atrocities must innocent people suffer before we can talk about the very real dangers of islam to modern civilised society. Every time I hear a politician or leader say that these attacks have nothing to do with islam I roll my eyes, doesn't matter whether they are shouting "allah snackbar" or post their murderous intent online, too much care is taken to ensure that there is no criticism of I mean, obviously that doesn't need saying here)

Of course there is the culture of fear around criticising muslims, newspaper editors are too scared even to print cartoons of the paedohile prophet, for fucks sake. There are precious few people capable or willing to so this it seems, Hitch is needed now like never before.

I don't know, it seems that as long as islam is credible and taken seriously then violence will always be nearby, I'd love to see a campaign to actively discredit it, factual debunking of the various inconsistencies in the koran, that kind of thing. Only by changing the minds of the youngest members would there be any hope of progress. Rambling I know, but it's so frustrating seeing this barbaric fairy story causing so much misery.

Fuck islam.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

* no criticism of islam, I mean, Missed a few words out at the end of the first paragraph.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Keating wrote:The truck driver has been named as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, so probably a Christian white male.
The French PM also thinks the French are just going to have to get used to terrorist attacks happening every couple of weeks.
New rules.

Politicians who think that the public will just have to get used to it will:
* Have refugee encampments/buildings set up next door to the homes of their private gated communities. The public gets to choose which refugees get housed there.
* No longer get the protection of private schools for their children. The public gets to choose which refugee "children" go to school with the politicians children.
* No longer have the protection of private pools & clubs. The public gets to choose which refugees get free passes & memberships to their private pools, gyms & clubs.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oglebart wrote:How many more atrocities must innocent people suffer before we can talk about the very real dangers of islam to modern civilised society

27 more events with at least 31 dead.

Billie from Ockham

Lsuoma wrote:It's now a federal crime to visit a website when the owner has told you not to.

{snip}

It might be intended to be narrow, but that doesn't mean it will be interpreted that way. Read the WaPo article - it's a good discussion.
I got as far as this in that article:
WaPo wrote:At this point you may be thinking: Hey, wait, didn’t the en banc 9th Circuit rule in Nosal I that using a computer in violation of its terms of use is not a CFAA violation? If intentionally using a computer in violation of the terms of use is legal authorized access, as the en banc 9th Circuit held in Nosal I, why is intentionally using a computer after receiving a cease-and-desist letter criminal access “without authorization”? In one case, the user goes to the website and sees the terms; in the other, the website owner contacts the user and shows the terms to them. But it’s the same thing, right?
That reading of US v Nosal is so wrong that everything else this guy wrote can and probably should be ignored. Nosal won because the people who accessed the Korn & Ferry computers for him had full permission to do what they did; the policy that they violated concerned what they did with the information after they got it. If Nosal had lost on that point, then every minor violation of policy would turn into a CFAA case because just about everything takes place on a computer.

The article also has headers like "The Thin (Nonexistent?) Line Between Terms of Use and Cease-and-Desist Letters" which is moronic. I'm going to wait until there is some serious discussion.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Me first? I need a little notoriety in my otherwise horribly dull life.

Though, of course, I would take dullness over the horrors being experienced by the French these days.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I don't think the Nile runs through Tunisia, but the family of the murderous lorry driver live on denial nonetheless:
A nephew, Ibrahim, said he had called three days ago saying he was preparing a trip back for a family party. Bouhlel's brother, Jabeur, said he doubted his sibling was the attacker.

"Why would my brother do something like this?" he told Reuters, adding: "We've been calling him since yesterday evening but he's not responding."

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

And my condolences to you and yours, Phil. I truly hope things get better over there. Maybe if Francois paid less attention to his haircut...

Billie from Ockham

By the way: anyone who uses a computer owned by their employer to do things like ... um, well ... read and post on the Slymepit should be very happy that US v Nosal came out as it did. Yeah, you can be fired, but you won't go to jail.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Oglebart wrote:How many more atrocities must innocent people suffer before we can talk about the very real dangers of islam to modern civilised society. Every time I hear a politician or leader say that these attacks have nothing to do with islam I roll my eyes, doesn't matter whether they are shouting "allah snackbar" or post their murderous intent online, too much care is taken to ensure that there is no criticism of I mean, obviously that doesn't need saying here)

Fuck islam.
I can feel the resistance building. People are getting seriously angry at people lying about Islam, defending it, covering up for it, etc. They are even trying to hide rape statistics in countries such as Sweden. More and more people are seeing the bullshit, and the threat of shaming from the SJWs is not shutting people up.

Oh, and there will be a war in Europe not before long. Not a country vs country war, no. It will be between groups of people, who will go round "knocking on doors". It will. I can sense the same will happen in the USA. It will be a race war.

The trends are there. The patterns are there. It is going to go BOOM! The SJWs and radfems will be crying salt when it all goes down. They will not be safe in their large houses, no matter how much security they have.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Oglebart wrote:How many more atrocities must innocent people suffer before we can talk about the very real dangers of islam to modern civilised society. ....
Fuck islam.
Exactly right: Mecca; nukes; from orbit just to be sure.

You might take a gander at this latest from Nawaz - bit of a whitewasher of Islam as I still think he hasn't gotten the picture that the literalism of the Quran is the root of the problem, but he's to be commended for his many criticisms of Muslims and Islam in general:
Please stop saying the Nice attacks have nothing to do with Islam

In the wake of the Nice attacks people are already saying: "But the terrorist wasn't pious. See! It has nothing to do with Islam."

Please stop.

Your good intentions towards us Muslims are only making the problem worse. This is as dangerous as saying it is everything to do with Islam. ....

So please stop denying the nature of jihadism. Please stop ignoring the narratives which drive these attacks. Instead of aiding extremists who insist Islam today is perfect, perhaps you should aid us beleaguered reformist Muslims who are attempting to address this crisis within Islam against all the odds. ....
My earlier tweet emphasizes the point that, as Anthony Flew put it, Islam is "flatly incompatible with ... a democratic, secular state":

As maybe the unfolding story in Turkey suggests, apropos of which:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

People keep promising me a race war.

I don't see it. We have Pokemon Go.

We might have a Pokemon Go war.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Remember the disclaimer on Emma Sulkowitz's rape-art video website?

It said she only consents to you watching the video, if she approves of your intentions.
(or something like that. it was word salad.)

But you all dun butt-raped Mattress Girl, now!

Billie from Ockham

One thing that you can say about Mattress Girl is that she knows how to double down.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

This is the kind of thing I was getting at. Dawkins in an interview with the complete cunt Medhi Hassan, he admits he believes that mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse. Of course Dawk is persona non grata is MSM these days, but he is absolutely on point here. We need to make this more common, ask a muzzie if they believe that the moon was split in two, it's all fabricated nonsense, but will they ever see it?

[youtube]UD4vC3kNA-4[/youtube]

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Why is the guy from little britain acting foreign minister? Hilarious, but surely that isn't what Europe needs?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Stretchycheese wrote:It looks like FTB Alexa ratings have reached a new bottom. Hopefully their plateau doesn't last long and they fall down another slope.

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?o=lt&y=t ... tblogs.com
Richard Carrier drama temporarily halted the drop. Empty calories.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:Imagine Peezus, Becky and the entire white contingent from FTB in the fight against white patriarchy:

"Company....haaalt! Seventh Detachment of Accomplice Light Infantry (Expendable) assemble! Prepare...the letter openers! Ready...to fight!"

"Who are you telling to assemble, shitlord? You're erasing introverted neuroatypicals!"

"This uniform is fatphobic! I've just lost a button!"

"Oh non-God, I'm about to puke. Fights trigger me, you insensitive fuck!"

"I'm a trans-spoon, can I get a spoon? We don't trust knives, you know, they're the shitlord cutlery."

[The Seventh Detachment of Accomplice Light Infantry (Expendable) is steamrolled by a group of boy scouts with slingshots]
"Sir! I just can't even"
"What was that, private?"
"Sir! I just can't even sir!"

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote:So it seems Ghostbusters 2016 will not be shown in China. Not due to Maoist supernatural censorship. They are just not interested in the film. Ouch.
I wonder if they saw all the drama about how anyone who didn't like the movie was a misogynist, and they just decided they didn't want that fucked up drama in their country.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

In Turkey; apparently imams are using mosque loudspeakers to urge people to go to the streets to support Erdogan. Could be the beginning of civil war with islamists vs. secularists.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Stretchycheese wrote:It looks like FTB Alexa ratings have reached a new bottom. Hopefully their plateau doesn't last long and they fall down another slope.

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?o=lt&y=t ... tblogs.com
Have they seceded from the EU or something?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I found this amusing in the Shakesville thread on the coup in Turkey. A commenter posts something about Turkish history to put current events in context. This pisses off McEwen and another shaker named aphra(something), who respond with (paraphrase)"how dare you assume we don't know Turkish history!" Commenter replies and is then warned by the "mods" that arguing with them is a bannable offense.
That's your SJW safe space.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Just checking CNN....I lolled at the constant reminder that Erdogan, or Turkey, is a "key ally" of the United States. You know, like Saudi Arabia.

Time to wash hands of these grubby Sunni havens of terrorists.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

katamari Damassi wrote:I found this amusing in the Shakesville thread on the coup in Turkey. A commenter posts something about Turkish history to put current events in context. This pisses off McEwen and another shaker named aphra(something), who respond with (paraphrase)"how dare you assume we don't know Turkish history!" Commenter replies and is then warned by the "mods" that arguing with them is a bannable offense.
That's your SJW safe space.
Well, I was just banned from Caine's blog for reminding her that the palefaces weren't the only people that killed people and stole there land. I suppose the phrase bloodthirsty Lakota Sioux may not have helped either. :think:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

free thoughtpolice wrote:In Turkey; apparently imams are using mosque loudspeakers to urge people to go to the streets to support Erdogan. Could be the beginning of civil war with islamists vs. secularists.
The imams are supporting Erdogan? Oh, in that case, I hope the army fucks them into the ground, PZ Myers style.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Speculation (perhaps a joke) on Twitter that Erdogan is flying to Germany or London.

I think Western Europe has enough Islamists, thank you very much.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Spike13 wrote:Lusuma, thank you for the "Phil lives" header!
As soon as I heard about the attack in Nice, my first though was" oh Shit Phil!!"
Glad t see he is OK.
#phillivesmatter

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

#PhilLivesMatter

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

Shots are being fired in the Turkish coup, no idea if it's warning fire or not, nor who is doing the shooting but there is shooting... this sure is an interesting week.