The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Brive1987 »

It does feel like thinks are escalating like a TV series heading for a shark jump.

Come to Australia. Our most exciting news is whether the govt will get an absolute majority. Our Islamic atrocity saw the police and the crazy dude match each other one victim each.

Of course you can't afford a house here anymore.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Ask her for a root. Quick, while you have her attention.
Atlast I missed my chance. She has moved on and I will never been about to pitch my Rainbow movie idea while apologizing for coming so quickly.
Don't despair. Reel her in with a pus popping opportunity.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: The truck did far more damage than any handheld firepower he could muster. I very much fear it will inspire copycats.

We are living in strange days. I wish the news was more boring.

I didn't find it to be all that original.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rP1oIWreAQU/U ... Goblin.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:It does feel like thinks are escalating like a TV series heading for a shark jump.

Come to Australia. Our most exciting news is whether the govt will get an absolute majority. Our Islamic atrocity saw the police and the crazy dude match each other one victim each.

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh fuck no! I've seen what happens to you people when society final gives out.

https://ocdviewer.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ilsson.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Houses aren't too bad in Australia. I guess it just depends on how fussy you are. http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2015/08 ... lable-12k/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Houses aren't too bad in Australia. I guess it just depends on how fussy you are. http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2015/08 ... lable-12k/
If you are prepared to go inland you could score an original West Coast Pitjara Bungalow.

We have dealt with the original residents - so plenty to choose from.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... _qTkktHdS8

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Brive1987 wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Houses aren't too bad in Australia. I guess it just depends on how fussy you are. http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2015/08 ... lable-12k/
If you are prepared to go inland you could score an original West Coast Pitjara Bungalow.

Geez Brive, no offense, but I suspect that you are a shitlord. :roll:

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote:It does feel like thinks are escalating like a TV series heading for a shark jump.

I'm not so sure. Look at the raw results for first preference results in the Senate. One Nation is the 4th of 5th most popular party across Australia. I'm stockpiling popcorn in case they end up getting several senators after preferences.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

dog puke wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

[im.g]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... _qTkktHdS8[/img]
Why thank you. You can buy me a beer anytime.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

dog puke wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Here?

In our safe space.
Attachments
Kitten.jpeg
(114.02 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:

I'm not so sure. Look at the raw results for first preference results in the Senate. One Nation is the 4th of 5th most popular party across Australia. I'm stockpiling popcorn in case they end up getting several senators after preferences.
The big One Nation vote was a Trump fuck you reaction against the failed Big Party parties overlaid on a small racist base.

It will be interesting to see who is up for election in the Senate mid terms. ON may blaze short and bright.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

On another journey, the truckie gives a lift to a priest. Later, as he's barrelling down the road, he sees an Abo ahead, he plants the foot down, and speeds towards him. At the last moment he remembers he's got the priest on board, and swerves, just missing the Abo.
"I'm terribly sorry about that, Father".
"That's OK, my son, I got him with the door".

A garbage truck stops outside a ramshackle old house in Redfern.
The garbo yells out to the old Abo sitting on the front step: "Hey, where's your bin?"
Abo answers "I've bin in Queensland".
Garbo: "No, where's your wheelie bin".
Abo: "Well, I've weally bin in jail for the last two weeks, but don't tell anyone".

:rimshot:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The orbit has forgotten to blog about Nice.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:If you are prepared to go inland you could score an original West Coast Pitjara Bungalow.

West Coast Pitjara Bungalow?

Luxury!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iEIApUNVBKg/hqdefault.jpg

Keating

Post by Keating »

I preferenced the major parties and the Greens last in the Senate, and cast an informal ballot for the house, as I didn't have any choices other than those three parties in my seat.

One Nation wasn't an option in the ACT, and wouldn't have likely been high on my list if it were, but I'd have put them ahead of Reclaim Australia, which was about half way on my list.

My seat is actually symptomatic of one of the big problems I see with politics today. The very safe sitting member is married to a senior political reporter on the ABC.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Brive1987 wrote:The orbit has forgotten to blog about Nice.
The Orbit seems to be in their own little galaxy right now. Everything to avoid joining the rest of us in the real world.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Stretchycheese wrote:Anyone thinking of going to the CSICON convention?

http://www.csiconference.org/
A-yup.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

But have they commented on Pokémon Go yet?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:If you are prepared to go inland you could score an original West Coast Pitjara Bungalow.

West Coast Pitjara Bungalow?

Luxury!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iEIApUNVBKg/hqdefault.jpg
Ma FUCKING KEYBOARD!!! OMFG!!!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Shatterface wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I think this is stupid but I still like her work. Not being religious I get to enjoy people's works without having to agree with them 100% of the time.
Anyone who thinks there hasn't been female heroes before hasn't seen a horror movie since about 1971.

I can think of two classic contemporary horror movies - John Carpenter's The Thing and Se7en - that don't feature strong female leads.

The rest - from Rosemary's Baby, Black Christmas and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, through Halloween, The Fog, Day of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Silence of the Lambs, the Scream franchise, the Resident Evil and Ultraviolet series, not to mention the fucking Twilight saga, The Others, The Orphanage, Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peake are all female-led.

It's the one genre which does't need a spoofy female 'reboot'.
I suspect this rather because women are seen as precious and vulnerable, not because the directors are more feminist. Men in films tend to fight whatever is threatening them.

For whatever reason — nature, nurture, both — women tend to prefer the social, and men tend to be more into stuff, gear, things. This translates into “smaller” films that are geared towards a female audience, since you need only a few people, love triangle and so on to get the drama going. The stuff men like, more acted out, and gear-heavy conflict — again for whatever reason — tends to lead to the big blockbuster films.

There are of course lots of genres and overlap, resulting probably more into a bimodal distribution, but the corny action flick and the romantic comedy are typically established to cater to different genders. This is even more pronounced when you take other forms of entertainment into account. Nobody keeps men from reading romantic novels and a myriad of other genres that heavily cater to female readers (the belletristic book market is overall very female centric) , and likewise women could populate the highly competetive and action oriented video games. But they don't. SJWs are highly selective, but probably just clueless rather than malicious in this case.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

The thing is she is being oddly picky about her terms. The ghostbusters are "superheroes" so this movie and the wonder woman movie coming out next year are the two superhero movies she is talking about. She compares this to the "hundreds" of superhero movies starring men.

I would really like to understand what her definition of a superhero movie is. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt but I just can't make that math work. So I have to do my own.

IF we are talking about sci fi action movies there are a shit ton of those with female leads.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:I preferenced the major parties and the Greens last in the Senate, and cast an informal ballot for the house, as I didn't have any choices other than those three parties in my seat.

One Nation wasn't an option in the ACT, and wouldn't have likely been high on my list if it were, but I'd have put them ahead of Reclaim Australia, which was about half way on my list.

My seat is actually symptomatic of one of the big problems I see with politics today. The very safe sitting member is married to a senior political reporter on the ABC.
I voted informal in the lower house for the first time in my life.

I, well let's just say I joke voted the senate.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I went to the Museum of the Moving Image tonight, with my friend who is an indy pro-wrestler, to see a documentary about Mexican wrestling, called Lucha Mexico. The film was pretty good. It conveyed everyday life in Mexico City. The in-ring scenes were more-about capturing fleeting human moments, than tracking the story of the match. The film-makers were a little short on Storytelling or Having A Point, but the wresler's lives were eventful enough to provide drama. One of the wrestlers-- Shocker, aka "1000% Guapo"-- was in attendance & was charming afterward.

I'd never been in that Museum before. It was appealing. There was an exhibition of Reaction Gif memes, projected in the lobby. I wanted a selfie, with the"That's Racist!" black kid super-imposed on my face. But I didnt want to upset the staffers at the front desk.

Upstairs there was some concept art from 2001 A Space Odyssey, a Jim Henson exhibit, costcostumessuch as Mork from Ork & Chewbacca's head & Don Johnson's Miami Vice suit. Taxi Driver's mohawk!. Plus some really weird impressive movie & tv tie-in toys. And a well-stocked retro video arcade, available to play. Including 'Computer Space', the first coin op video game, from 1971, in a green candy-flake case housing...

http://www.retro-videogames.com/files/c ... pgreen.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: It looks like Sweden is accepting immigrants from Florida ... two items:

Exhibit A:
The tale of the tortoise, the pan and the pee

Exhibit B:
Swedish museum accused of selling woman as Viking slave

I just can't even.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Keating wrote:There are reports someone tried to attack mourners in Nice with a machete.
It was a guy walking his dog while... carrying a machete. Maybe for self defense?

Anyway, he didn't attack anyone but was stopped and signaled by mourners.

http://www.nicematin.com/faits-divers/u ... lais-65057

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
feathers wrote: And I'd never thought in my lifetime I'd sympathise with a military coup, but that's what Islam has brought me to.
Valkyrie?
That was a bit before my time. Also, if it were Tom Cruise who'd come and try to kill Hitler, i might have to side with the Führer.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:Anyone who thinks there hasn't been female heroes before hasn't seen a horror movie since about 1971.

I can think of two classic contemporary horror movies - John Carpenter's The Thing and Se7en - that don't feature strong female leads.

The rest - from Rosemary's Baby, Black Christmas and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, through Halloween, The Fog, Day of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Silence of the Lambs, the Scream franchise, the Resident Evil and Ultraviolet series, not to mention the fucking Twilight saga, The Others, The Orphanage, Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peake are all female-led.
Alien. To rule them all.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I expect they are arresting all the people who annoyed the attacker, as that seems to be the reason all the useful idiots are claiming as the motivation. #neverIslam

feathers

Post by feathers »

Indeed, they have. But there seems to be a lot of advertising for a certain Book.

Fortunately, Gretl's pre-latest posting doesn't have the title of her book in it:

5 Reasons to Stop Talking Sh*t About People From the South and Midwest

So I suppose that's not a plug for the Way of the Heathen, right?
Gretl wrote:I recently did a speaking tour of the Midwest, promoting my new book. This isn’t new for me: I’ve been doing public speaking for years, and I do it a lot in the Midwest and South.
And yes, I was right: it's a plug for another of her books.
This isn’t new for me: I’ve been doing public speaking for years, and I do it a lot in the Midwest and South.

And every time I come home from one of these trips, I bring back a huge suitcase full of respect for people in the Midwest and South
...just as long as they buy your book! Got it.

Skeptic_Duh

Post by Skeptic_Duh »

So - spent last night listening and watching some of the Turkish army try to do a coup....

never ends

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody else follow Stephen Law on Twitter?

He has a real hard-on for Jeremy Corbyn, and despite his skeptic and top philosophical credentials (which includes debating W.L. Craig), he seems to have gone a bit tin-foil hat.

He is convinced that there is a massive, shadowy conspiracy trying to undermine his beloved Corbyn?
There is a conspiracy against Corbyn, but it's hardly massive or shadowy. It consists of all the non-hard-left Labour MPs who don't want him as their leader, and they're conspiring quite openly.

For all you Johnny Foreigners who might not have followed this in detail: when Ed Milliband quit as Labour leader after losing the last election, the party had to elect a new leader. The way this is usually done is: the MPs nominate a number of candidates, and the party members, all the local constituency activists and trade union people, vote for the one they like.

It's not unusual for the MPs to nominate a token no-hoper to make it look more like a contest, and this time they nominated Jeremy Corbyn. Corbyn is a veteran nonentity from the party's hard left awkward squad, who has spent his 30-odd years in parliament voting against his own party more often than not, without, and this is important, anybody noticing.

The party membership is further to the left than the MPs and is generally unhappy with the New Labour crowd because of Iraq, so Corbyn, who had voted against the Iraq war, started polling quite well. And then one Milliband's dafter ideas kicked in. He had brought in a new procedure for electing leaders, which gave anyone the vote if they paid £3 to become a "registered supporter" of the party. That guaranteed a massive hard left entryist vote for Corbyn, and he won the election handsomely, despite leading a gang of MPs most of whom think he's a joke.

Corbyn himself comes across as quite mild-mannered and reasonable, but he surrounds himself with people like John McDonnell, his shadow chancellor, who's a political thug, and Ken Livingstone, who defends colleagues against charges of anti-semitism by invoking Hitler. He has set up a party-within-a-party called Momentum, a revival of the Militant Tendency from the 80s, which seems to specialise in thuggery, replacing moderate local party officers with hard leftists, and threatening any MPs who aren't sufficiently loyal to Corbyn that they'll have them deselected and new candidates chosen for the next election. This on behalf of a leader who has never been loyal to party leaders.

So after playing along for a while, the MPs decided to stage a coup. They chose their moment: just after the Brexit vote, when the Conservatives were in disarray. It's been such a shambles that it's allowed the Tories to regroup and choose their new leadership team without any opposition, and if anything they've emerged stronger and more united.

Hilary Benn, son of Corbyn's old mentor Tony Benn, went to Corbyn and told him he couldn't work for him and then acted surprised that Corbyn sacked him from his shadow cabinet. Most of the rest of the shadow cabinet resigned one by one over the next couple of days. Even one of the MPs Corbyn drafted in as a replacement resigned the next day. Then they held a vote of no confidence, and won by a large margin, so they're having a new leadership election.

The alternative leader the MPs have chosen is Angela Eagle, who's most famous for throwing away a debate she was winning by pitching a fit over sexism when David Cameron told her to "calm down dear", and her campaign seems to be entirely based on cry-bullying. It's true, Corbyn's support consists largely of thugs, Eagle's constituency office got a brick through the window, no doubt there have been plenty of intimidating phone calls. But you'd look more like leadership material if you called attention to that without looking like fragile wilting flowers who can't cope with adversity without bursting into tears.

So we have two options to be leader of the opposition: a hard left populist, and an SJW. Is it any wonder Theresa May feels safe enough to make Boris Johnson her foreign secretary when this is the quality of opposition we've got?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:They mentioned fake weapons. What's the bet one of his kids left that Jack Sparrow gun in the back of the truck?
Not an unknown tactic to simulate or report that you have bombs or assets you don't have.
He at least would be following a script from terrorist attacks. The Orlando shooter claimed to have bombs he didn't have.
If it turns he didn't have grenades or real guns it would make it uncertain if he had organized connections.
Who knows? It may just have been toxic masculinity.
Guns should be in theory hard to come by in France. Perhaps he went to purchase a bunch from some illegal connections. They let him test out a few authentic ones, and he paid for the lot of fakes plus the real ones he bought.

As far as the arrests in France, I bet they are going after the people who sold him the guns.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Questions blacks have for SJWs

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My teenage daughter watched the Graduate with me tonight before siding with Mrs Robinson and then dismissing the whole film as being for old fogies.

Oh the irony.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Melissa McEwan comments on the Turkey coup:
If you would all excuse me now, I'll spend the rest of the weekend in an isolation tank.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Here's a good one:

[youtube]T_SG4Bz9NXg[/youtube]

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Brive1987 wrote:
Keating wrote:I preferenced the major parties and the Greens last in the Senate, and cast an informal ballot for the house, as I didn't have any choices other than those three parties in my seat.

I voted informal in the lower house for the first time in my life.

I, well let's just say I joke voted the senate.
Did you both do the traditional :cdc: or something more inventive?

As far as I can see, it was a choice between cat poo and dog poo - different, but both poo (and, I suppose, the Greens can be organic chicken shit, so they don't feel left out).

One Nation took out the coveted 120-somethingth and last place on my senate paper, just ahead of Reclaim Australia and Fred Nile's mob. I pretty much joke-voted the top (Katter and Glen Lazarus... ).

Lower house, I had the "choice" of 8 - the majors, and a load of people I wouldn't want running a sausage sizzle, let alone a country

(assuming I remember correctly, and Anteater Guy is in Ipswich, then I'm North of Anteater Guy).

Pseudomonas

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Eskarina wrote:Melissa McEwan comments on the Turkey coup:
If you would all excuse me now, I'll spend the rest of the weekend in an isolation tank.
But don't you dare presume to post about lecture her on Turkey's history as if she Doesn't Know That Shit Already!

ffs

Post by ffs »

[youtube]NUAQ0dMhTrc[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lilandra Ra has neglected to call for a ban on assault rifles.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Sounding like the military coup failed. This seems like the worst possible outcome for the future. It means the majority of the secularists in the military have been identified and driven out. The military, which was just about the last secular stronghold in Turkey, is now going to be on the islamist bandwagon. I don't see much hope left for secular Turkey. That can only be bad for Europe and ongoing migration, as well as the rest of the middle east when it comes to keeping ISIS supplied.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Pseudomonas wrote:Did you both do the traditional :cdc: or something more inventive?
I wrote in "Donald J Trump" and "fuck no" against the Greens. Then drew :cdc: at the bottom.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Keating wrote:Sounding like the military coup failed. This seems like the worst possible outcome for the future. It means the majority of the secularists in the military have been identified and driven out. The military, which was just about the last secular stronghold in Turkey, is now going to be on the islamist bandwagon. I don't see much hope left for secular Turkey. That can only be bad for Europe and ongoing migration, as well as the rest of the middle east when it comes to keeping ISIS supplied.
Ah, maybe I'm wrong. I had assumed, based on what I know of Turkey, that it was the secular elements of the military that were engaged in the coup. I understand the military has been very unhappy with the more Islamic stance the government has taken since Erdogan became president. If Fethullah Gulen was behind the coup, my assumption may not be true.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I'm just pretty much talking to myself now. The Pit is all mine tonight.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

A bit busy right now...

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:Sounding like the military coup failed. This seems like the worst possible outcome for the future. It means the majority of the secularists in the military have been identified and driven out. The military, which was just about the last secular stronghold in Turkey, is now going to be on the islamist bandwagon. I don't see much hope left for secular Turkey. That can only be bad for Europe and ongoing migration, as well as the rest of the middle east when it comes to keeping ISIS supplied.
Yeps, which is why NATO, contra McEwan's silly analysis, would probably have preferred the coup to succeed. Now Erdogan has an excuse to purge the military of secular, non-islamist elements and can Turkey become the next ISIS cesspool.

But we can't kick them out of NATO because at the same time they're the last stronghold against Syria and Russia.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Keating wrote:
Ah, maybe I'm wrong. I had assumed, based on what I know of Turkey, that it was the secular elements of the military that were engaged in the coup. I understand the military has been very unhappy with the more Islamic stance the government has taken since Erdogan became president. If Fethullah Gulen was behind the coup, my assumption may not be true.
If CNN is right...

windy

Post by windy »

Aneris wrote:I've often seen Sam Harris an others claim that the “regressive” attitudes were common in Germany also, and I think this is not accurate. I see this again with the reporting on Nice. The experts routinely mention how disenfranchised Muslims feel excluded and then find a new identity and purpose in radical Islam, and how jihad enables also “lone wolves” terrorists to make themselves useful in the name of Allah.
Muslims aren't "disenfranchised". What you describe is another flavor of regressive.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

She looked a lot more like Barbara Streisand than I expected. Did she get a nose job at some point (later)?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

windy wrote:
Aneris wrote:I've often seen Sam Harris an others claim that the “regressive” attitudes were common in Germany also, and I think this is not accurate. I see this again with the reporting on Nice. The experts routinely mention how disenfranchised Muslims feel excluded and then find a new identity and purpose in radical Islam, and how jihad enables also “lone wolves” terrorists to make themselves useful in the name of Allah.
Muslims aren't "disenfranchised". What you describe is another flavor of regressive.
You correct with the first part, that's a translation fail on my part. That should be along the lines of marginalized, disillusioned and perspectiveless. The point stands: it is often claimed that western nations (Britain, Sweden, Germany ...) were looking the other way and make up excuses when facing problems with a basis in Islam or islamic culture. And that is not the case in Germany, despite that PEGIDA and the likes often pretend otherwise. The debate about the problems with integration and migrants came up a decade or so ago, and then people were really ignoring it. The left side was enchanted by multiculturalism, the right by ignorance and wanting cheap labour. But that was a good decade ago. Islamic extremism is a routine feature of the news and talk shows.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Eskarina wrote: If you would all excuse me now, I'll spend the rest of the weekend in an isolation tank.
A Sherman isolation tank?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Eskarina wrote: If you would all excuse me now, I'll spend the rest of the weekend in an isolation tank.
A Sherman isolation tank?
You would need 5 Sherman isolation tanks to do the job of one.....

Uhhh, forget it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
She looked a lot more like Barbara Streisand than I expected. Did she get a nose job at some point (later)?
Watch what you say about Ms. Mirinov, pal. You're just lucky it's not Monday.

[youtube]V76mtNixdCE[/youtube]

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

rayshul wrote:

That was really good. I like ThatGuYT...one of the smarter YouTubers.

And good questions too. I wonder if there is a phrase for African-Americans that is equivalent to chill girl, as this is certain to rustle some jimmies.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

paddybrown wrote:Here's a good one:

[youtubez]T_SG4Bz9NXg[/youtube]
Her channel is a bit right-wing conspiracy nut for me, but I did appreciate the humour. I like at the end where she asks people who are offended to donate to her so she can afford to apologize to them.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

blitzem wrote:
rayshul wrote:

That was really good. I like ThatGuYT...one of the smarter YouTubers.

And good questions too. I wonder if there is a phrase for African-Americans that is equivalent to chill girl, as this is certain to rustle some jimmies.
That term would be “Uncle Tom”. Maajid Nawaz also had “Perch Monkey” hurled at him by Regressives.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Re Turkey Coup, I can only see this cementing Erdogan as a Dictator. This will not only set back by decades any Turkish entry into the EU it will also put some doubt on their membership of Nato although I would expect that the US would find it difficult to lose bases and listening posts there. I can't see this being any good for anyone in the long run. Turkey will lso "encourage" refugees to leave the country by any means possible. Additionally the Turkish economy will come under strain as holidaymakers give the place a miss. This was already happening in resorts n the South Coast of the place and this will only spread the effect.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:In Turkey; apparently imams are using mosque loudspeakers to urge people to go to the streets to support Erdogan. Could be the beginning of civil war with islamists vs. secularists.
The imams are supporting Erdogan? Oh, in that case, I hope the army fucks them into the ground, PZ Myers style.
I am really glad I was not the only person thinking that.

I am getting to the point where I feel that this can only end in war between Islam and the Secular West, I wish we could get it over with.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

VickyCaramel wrote:I am getting to the point where I feel that this can only end in war between Islam and the Secular West, I wish we could get it over with.
Isn't that fucked up? I have the same feeling quite often ... can we just get the war started because it won't be over until after it starts.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:My teenage daughter watched the Graduate with me tonight before siding with Mrs Robinson and then dismissing the whole film as being for old fogies.

Oh the irony.
Maybe it will stay with her for a while.

I wonder what millenials would make of all those old 60s TV shows & movies that were evoking the concept of the 'Generation Gap' . eg Sitcoms like Bewitched or The Beverly Hillbillys were it was written by the older generation, who were trying to make mildly satyrical commentry. I think that the current generations are much closer to understanding each other than those in the past, despite all the present day turmoil.

Perhaps you can line up 'Wild in the Streets' as your next film.

If she is still speaking to you that is - otherwise its...

[youtube]ciERzSFRwzk[/youtube]