The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Cnutella

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Cnutella »

Lsuoma wrote:Love the Moron Cam on A+L's latest.

Things are looking OK: thanks for all the best wishes!
Behold!

How are you doing there, FT? When are they going to let you out of hospital? Is one of your pupils massively dilated and the other shrunk to a tiny pinprick?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Huh, I thought I'd lost that first comment. Oh well.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

paddybrown wrote: There's nothing about Cho's Wonder Woman covers that an SJW could object to. He draws her muscular and tough, and not overtly sexual. But he has been goading SJWs with "tribute" covers on his website - lots of parodies of the infamous Mila Manara Spider-Woman cover, plus things like these:
You are acting like these people are reasonable. They are not. They show the three covers he has done so far. IF Cho is to be believed, and I see no reason not to, Ruckus has been fighting Cho the entire time. The last cover they cropped Cho's picture because showing WW wearing panties is some how bad.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

de Lurch wrote:
That has been bugging me for a while too. It seemed a little odd for one adult married couple to go cohabitate with with another, but at the time I was like, whatever. But now that nearly all of their inner circle has come out as poly, it really does seem like the most likely explanation.
I can't recall the exact post, but Zvan wrote about how sad she was and Lousy showed up in the comments saying "I love you Stephanie Zvan". Maybe not definitive evidence of poly hijinx but I would think it is safe to rename the gif of the small dog fucking the cow into "Lousy does the Cowntess" instead of calling the dog Laden.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote:...So, it is not an exaggeration to say that Koch and Guilliani probably saved more black lives than any people in America. They are life savers.
The murder rate is low in North Korea too, and the dictators there are life-savers. The cost is unacceptabie.. Armed insurrection would be valid.

But, American Niggas have a male honor code. Surrendering to the cops is just not nigga enough. Millions of police interactions with black men are all about pushing your testosterone honor bullshit in everyone's face. Many urban black men finds dignity through a personal honor code. Their personal space and toughness is their value. Just ask the niggas with "NWA" about this. Those Compton hoods were celebrated by only two groups in America... Black Men... and white leftists. A bizarre marriage where the political left actually thinks NWA is some kind of art.

Sure...it's art. Art that celebrates black male cultural barbarism.

So... fast forward to today...
You underestimate the legitimacy of black street honor code. there is real love for their families & communities. a desire for justice. Confucious said a fair government will yield a docile populace, but corrupt govt will spawn unmanageable people.

You seriously have a problem with this song? Do you hate the blues, too?

[youtube]EykpGoXyKVg[/youtube]
The comparison to North Korea is not even interesting or relevant.... so... yeah... thanks for that piece of wisdom.

I am not dismissing street honor code. I am claiming that this is fundamentally the problem. I guess I really shouldn't care if a bunch of idiot American's want to live under the street honor code. They should have a right to live the way they want.... but then... don't be surprised if the cops in my neighborhood pull you over for driving through my neighborhood. You live your way... and I will live mine. You wanna live the way I do? We will let you in.... the price of admission is to drive a sensible car and a nice button down shirt. Black folks in the Detroit suburbs who drive a Honda and wear a polo shirt may get stopped once in a while... but otherwise we will say good morning and chat with you about yard work. Come to the block party... really...it's all good.

I have no solution to the black crime rate and the black street honor code. Maybe one day blacks will get tired of it and stop.... crime is down, despite all the publicity to the contrary. Maybe slowly things will change. When I watched the whole Trayvon thing unfold I was reminded of Pinker's story of "honor code" contributing to violence. He is right in my view. But Zimmerman and Trayvon were products of the honor code. Sometimes these kind of people end up killing each other. This is not my problem nor is it my responsibility. They can have their stupid ideas... just stay away from my block.

I can't relate to black hip hop stuff. It doesn't cause me to feel anything one way or another.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Lsuoma wrote:Things are looking OK: thanks for all the best wishes!
Woo Hoo!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Sizzles on Ghostbusters - funny but nowhere near as epic as his Brexit vid.

[youtube]zL3erVJtmt4[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:.... It's certainly possible that an anti-male bias has influenced some policies (especially those inspired by SJWs and radfems, like college trials or other laws) but society as a whole doesn't have an overwhelmingly anti-male bias as much as it has an anti-disenfranchised and anti-poor bias, and some pro-lobbies and pro-rich biases.

Maybe it would be better to abandon labels which inspired identity politics and to focus on individual rights, liberal values, on the limits of governments, on the negative effects of lobbies and on the negative effects of poverty.

Well, howabout the 'Anti-feminist' label ?

Feminists are in the business of denying anti-male bias exists, expanding anti-male bias in institutional policy/ and feminists expand pro-female bias + lobby for more of it. These things are anti-individual, anti-classicalliberal.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

\o/

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

jimhabegger wrote:Now that I've learn not to be too bothered by being killed in Minecraft, and I've collected stacks of cobblestone, gravel, granite, ores, gems, and plant and animal products; learned to explore without getting hopelessly lost; and made a bed, a bucket, a bowl, some slabs, some steps, and some dies; I don't know what to do next. I've looked at some Web sites and videos, but I haven't seen anything to do that looks interesting to me. It all looks a little pointless to me now.
That's minecraft (and most procedurally generated survival-type games). It's really great until you master it. Then you either have to start building huge projects or just continue to do the same thing over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over again.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:Things are looking OK: thanks for all the best wishes!
Whoops, that'll teach me to refresh before posting.

Glad you're ok FT - make sure you get the most from your tax money and pester the fuck out of the nurses!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 86824k.jpg

(ALL nurses are gagging for it, no need to ask for consent!)

John D

Post by John D »

Yeah!

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Lsuoma wrote: Things are looking OK: thanks for all the best wishes!
The power of prayer.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

comhcinc wrote:
paddybrown wrote: There's nothing about Cho's Wonder Woman covers that an SJW could object to. He draws her muscular and tough, and not overtly sexual. But he has been goading SJWs with "tribute" covers on his website - lots of parodies of the infamous Mila Manara Spider-Woman cover, plus things like these:
You are acting like these people are reasonable. They are not. They show the three covers he has done so far. IF Cho is to be believed, and I see no reason not to, Ruckus has been fighting Cho the entire time. The last cover they cropped Cho's picture because showing WW wearing panties is some how bad.
Well, that's just it. No matter how well-behaved he is on company time, his extra-curricular activies show not only that he's not One Of Them, but he think's They're a joke. That's not exactly going to endear him to them, is it?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:.... It's certainly possible that an anti-male bias has influenced some policies (especially those inspired by SJWs and radfems, like college trials or other laws) but society as a whole doesn't have an overwhelmingly anti-male bias as much as it has an anti-disenfranchised and anti-poor bias, and some pro-lobbies and pro-rich biases.

Maybe it would be better to abandon labels which inspired identity politics and to focus on individual rights, liberal values, on the limits of governments, on the negative effects of lobbies and on the negative effects of poverty.

Well, howabout the 'Anti-feminist' label ?

Feminists are in the business of denying anti-male bias exists, expanding anti-male bias in institutional policy/ and feminists expand pro-female bias + lobby for more of it. These things are anti-individual, anti-classicalliberal.
These days anti-feminist is fine.

I liked "humanist" and "human right activist" but the SJWs are saying that they're the real humanists and human right activists, so that label is ruined for now.

"Classical liberal" or "libertarian" would be good choices, too.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Shatterface wrote:I absolutely adore Nic Roeg's early films: Performance, Walkabout, Don't Look Now, The Man Who Fell to Earth...

This scene from Don't Look Now was scary as fuck:

http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-31-2015/pV7rda.gif
OK, with FT still alive, I can say that another fun thing about Don't Look Now is that ... supposedly ... Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie were having actual intercourse in the sex scene, even if they denied this later.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: ... don't be surprised if the cops in my neighborhood pull you over for driving through my neighborhood. You live your way... and I will live mine. You wanna live the way I do? We will let you in.... the price of admission is to drive a sensible car and a nice button down shirt. Black folks in the Detroit suburbs who drive a Honda and wear a polo shirt may get stopped once in a while...
You're dividing Americans by whether they wear the same shirt collar or brand of car as your gang?!

Your hired muscle don't deserve bullets in their heads: you do. You're their crime boss.

Tell me: Is the 'broken window' the t-shirt collar, or the person wearing it?

[youtube]7QgzYGFVPi4[/youtube]

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

And more woo-hoos for the fascist's tit's prognosis. I'm glad your brain only exploded slightly.

Might be worth looking at your financial arrangements. My stepmum had an intercranial bleed a couple of years back, and she recently discovered her mortgage included critical illness cover. So now her mortgage is paid off. she does find stripy patterns disorientating though.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

http://i.imgur.com/t52LOYS.jpg

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote: ... don't be surprised if the cops in my neighborhood pull you over for driving through my neighborhood. You live your way... and I will live mine. You wanna live the way I do? We will let you in.... the price of admission is to drive a sensible car and a nice button down shirt. Black folks in the Detroit suburbs who drive a Honda and wear a polo shirt may get stopped once in a while...
You're dividing Americans by whether they wear the same shirt collar or brand of car as your gang?!

Your hired muscle don't deserve bullets in their heads: you do. You're their crime boss.

It's not a gang.... it's a tribe. I call us the tribe of normal sensible people who do not celebrate violence, who value education, who honor our family, and who work hard our whole lives so we can eek out a sensible retirement..... and stay off my fucking lawn....

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

It's not a gang.... it's a tribe. I call us the tribe of normal sensible people who do not celebrate violence, who value education, who honor our family, and who work hard our whole lives so we can eek out a sensible retirement..... and stay off my fucking lawn....
You were more honest the first time, warlord.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote:.... But, American Niggas have a male honor code. Surrendering to the cops is just not nigga enough. .... Sure...it's art. Art that celebrates black male cultural barbarism.

So... fast forward to today...
You underestimate the legitimacy of black street honor code. there is real love for their families & communities. a desire for justice. Confucious said a fair government will yield a docile populace, but corrupt govt will spawn unmanageable people. ...
You seem to have an overly romantic or pink-glasses-tinged view of that "black street honor code":

http://i.imgur.com/5oriUAb.png

Note the 2400 cases of black-on-black crime (homicides) versus some 2600 for whites, despite the fact that blacks comprise something like 14% of the population. You could lay some of the blame for that at the doorstep of white-racism - overt or covert - but all of it? Looks like special pleading to so argue, like whitewashing - so to speak - the rather problematic tendency of the black community to condone & promote thug-life. As Sheriff Clarke argued in rather succinct terms.

You might take a look at Cathy Young's fairly balanced post on Ferguson: Beyond Black and White from which that link came, and which argues that there's plenty of blame to go around. Not helpful if everyone insists on "my tribe, right or wrong" - which seems to be all too common.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

This will cheer people up. Completely unrelated to pretty much anything here, but a playboy model snapped a naked picture of someone else in the gym locker room and posted it on snapchat stating "If I can't unsee this then you can't either."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-inve ... an-at-gym/

Consequences so far seem about right for what she did. Here is her apology/excuse.

[youtube]G8z2KC74n4o[/youtube]

As far as I am concerned she could have done all that other stuff up until the point where she took a stranger's naked photo in the gym locker room.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scented Nectar wrote:Here it is...

"PROCJAM 2014 - Procedural Doesn’t Mean Random: Generating Interesting Content - Hazel McKendrick"
[youtube]xJRXNesI9f4[/youtube]
I know what procedural generation is. I've been playing procedurally generated games since Elite and Diablo. Even many of the old BBS games like Trade Wars 2002 and Galactic Warzone were procedurally generated. I even tried to hire someone to develop a procedural world generator (solar system really) for a PnP Science Fiction game (similar to Traveller the Role Playing Game, but far, far better mechanics and far more in-depth) I was developing. Fortunately for me, the PnP market pretty much collapsed (thanks to computer games) before I spent the money and I cancelled the game after writing about 2/3rds of it.

“Exploration is seeing things that no-one else has ever seen before. Every creature, geological formation, plant and spaceship is unique,” is the claim. And it's true and not true.

“Unique” is the wrong term to describe what we will see as we move through the game. Yes, in a technical sense, each planet might be unique, but just because Spaceship A has a slightly shifted shade of blue on its hull than Spaceship B doesn’t mean it’s really any different from the hundreds of other variants of the same model, with only minor alterations made to be able to claim it’s unique. And it's not just spaceships. I've seen some of the assets lists. You've got brontosaurs. Some are blue. Some are red. Some have feathers on their neck ridge. Others do not. They're still brontos. Same goes for their antelopes.

In the end the universe of No Man’s Sky won’t seem so 'unique' once you clue into the procedural generation tricks. You'll see that creatures which inhabit one planet will look marginally different to the ones on the last one you visited, except the water’s pink here, not green while the antelopes are red with furry tails instead of being blue with rat tails. Or maybe the sky is orange instead of yellow or blue and these brontos have yellow feathers on their neck, not green.

So, in the end, it's great for landscape and filling out the basic shape of a world. And, so far, that's all I've really seen -- a lot of different landscapes built out of the same formulas populated with the same animals, rocks, structures, foliage, etc.

My concern is that it doesn't do plots. It doesn't do animals. it doesn't make stories. In short, it doesn't make any actual game play. Just back-ground. And that's the major problem I see with this game -- lack of sustainable game play. Heck, even Minecraft has more sustainable game play because you can build. In No Man's Sky, you can't do that.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scented Nectar wrote:Hey, was it a Pitter who first introduced me to No Man's Sky a couple years ago? If so, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Who was it? I want to know so that in case I'm not really in menopause, I'll go out and get preggers just so that I can name the baby after you. :D
I've been talking about it, on-and-off, for a very long time. I've been following for years. Which is why I think, at this point, it's going to end up being an over-hyped failure if they don't add any game play.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lsuoma wrote:Fuck. Lsuoma has just had a mild stroke. No major impairment, but waiting for more information over the next 48 hours.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/de/debb2b8b ... ec44f1.jpg

Hope things work out for the best.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

deLurch wrote:This will cheer people up. Completely unrelated to pretty much anything here, but a playboy model snapped a naked picture of someone else in the gym locker room and posted it on snapchat stating "If I can't unsee this then you can't either."

Consequences so far seem about right for what she did. Here is her apology...

As far as I am concerned she could have done all that other stuff up until the point where she took a stranger's naked photo in the gym locker room.
I wonder how she'd like it if someone snapped nude pictures of her and then made them available via some form of widely distributed media?

Yeah, not very much I'd reckon.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Speaking of which, I am amazed at the number of people online that take that shit seriously. It is like feminists seeing the patriarchy everywhere and being the cause of everything.

Oh No! The Jews own the media.

...and you can too. Just buy stock!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cnutella wrote:One of FTB's new bloggers, Gestaltz, has bailed and gone back to his Wordpress site. There's a hint that the new move did nothing for his readership and may have actually tanked it. Also looking through his posts, it seems that FTB wasn't a great ideological fit. Although, who knows? Maybe he was revolted by something gross in the backchannel.

Here's what he posted on his FTB blog:
Return to gestaltz.wordpress.com

I shall no longer be blogging on Freethoughtblogs.com. My few readers that followed me across please return to original site. Sorry for the inconvenience.
And here's what he posted on his Wordpress blog:
Return to Gestaltz
by George Hatjoullis

By popular assent i shall be returning to this site. All posts will be seen here from now on. The Freethoughtblog.com was an experiement which failed.
https://gestaltz.wordpress.com/2016/07/ ... -gestaltz/
And in his comments.

http://i.imgur.com/y5af4Ht.jpg

I'd say he was carrier'ed

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Service Dog wrote: You underestimate the legitimacy of black street honor code.
It is not legitimate and contains no more honour than the honour code which lead to the fashion for dueling in 1800. It's no more legitimate than the families that kill their daughters for blackening the family name.

As a general rule of thumb, anyone claiming honour usually doesn't have any, has very little dignity and is pathetically trying to cling on to some pride.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Podcast with Mykeru and Vito. I haven't listened yet, so I don't know how it comes off. Needless to say, I was not in a cheery mood and had abused the old bottle a bit.

[youtube]CredljBPSjg[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Rumor has it, you staged your own coup attempt.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ got in trouble with his readers for posting the "can't see it" with only the woman's boobs blacked out

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I absolutely adore Nic Roeg's early films: Performance, Walkabout, Don't Look Now, The Man Who Fell to Earth...

This scene from Don't Look Now was scary as fuck:

http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-31-2015/pV7rda.gif
OK, with FT still alive, I can say that another fun thing about Don't Look Now is that ... supposedly ... Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie were having actual intercourse in the sex scene, even if they denied this later.
https://acityofindustry.files.wordpress ... ooknow.gif

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
It is not legitimate and contains no more honour than the honour code which lead to the fashion for dueling in 1800. It's no more legitimate than the families that kill their daughters for blackening the family name.

As a general rule of thumb, anyone claiming honour usually doesn't have any, has very little dignity and is pathetically trying to cling on to some pride.
Honor code? I have heard this around and I believe it to be true. 1 in 3 black males will go to prison in their lifetime.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 45144.html

The bulk of incarcerations are due to non-violent drug offences.

If we want to kill off this type of "honor code" which is really just a prison based honor code, we (the US) needs to stop sending off so many black men to prison for drugs.

We cannot legalize pot fast enough in the US. It is the best way to change the culture.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Podcast with Mykeru and Vito. I haven't listened yet, so I don't know how it comes off. Needless to say, I was not in a cheery mood and had abused the old bottle a bit.

[youtube.]CredljBPSjg[/youtube]
Listening to it now.

I recently heard Sargon doing a stream about Nice too. If you are still looking to get the message out there - maybe you could contact him for an interview.

Alternatively - you may be sick of the whole thing - and should take some (well deserved) time off...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Service Dog wrote:

Let's add just a wee bit of perspective, shall we? The honor code of black America, the hip-hop, the art scene-all of that depends on JohnD, myself, and people like us. Our taxes pay for the infrastructure that supports you. It is the common red neck farmer that allows you to eat. It is working people that build up homes and the middle-class that even allows any extraneous stuff to happen. I worked hard, despite my white privilege to allow my family to have a decent home. After my injury, my wife works hard to maintain it, and fortunately I have a small disability pension. I expect that our contribution in the form of taxes, of community service and being law-abiding affords us a degree of safety. It's not rocket science.

If all the major cities, all the art scene, all the ghettos disappeared tomorrow, people would still eat. Humanity could keep plugging away. But if all the people who do the hard work of keeping society going, of getting food to bellies and power to outlets and roads built, if those disappeared, all of the rest of you would be dead in weeks.

I'm not trying to go all Randian, but people deserve to be and feel safe, period. Because if that falls apart, your street culture dies, and not figuratively.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Honor code? I have heard this around and I believe it to be true. 1 in 3 black males will go to prison in their lifetime.

If we want to kill off this type of "honor code" which is really just a prison based honor code, we (the US) needs to stop sending off so many black men to prison for drugs.

We cannot legalize pot fast enough in the US. It is the best way to change the culture.
Legalize it all, let darwinian theory sort it out.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Quiet everyone the Jews are watching...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hi Git

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Free Palestine!
pali-flag.jpg
(690.93 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Another video of the Baton Rouge shooter. Apparently he thought himself a Tony Robbins type guru.
[youtube]lJwfM2EU5aQ[/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The Commander posted this a few days ago.....
CommanderTuvok wrote:Is anybody here actually "shocked" or "surprised" at this latest attack?

No, of course not.

We, especially in Europe, are now expecting these attacks to happen at an ever-increasing regular interval. Oh, and I predict Germany or Sweden are due.......
Breaking news is that a 17yo Afghaan refugee has gone berserk and attacked people on a train in, guess where........., Germany!

Wonder how Merkel will spin this.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:Quiet everyone the Jews are watching...
One thing we can all agree on is that Israel is an oasis of relative peace and order in a region characterised by violence and chaos. I guess it's true you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. :mrgreen:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

It's legal here in Washington state, hasn't changed the culture one bit. They would have to legalize heroin and meth too. Even then I doubt it would make much impact. People need to be invested in society, not exclusively in a particular culture. It's really more about money than drugs, IMHO.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This is how it got reported here.

You have to go 3 or 4 paras to discover 14 of the "injuries" were shock.

7 of which occurred on FtB.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:Umm. http://i.imgur.com/xBMOpKj.jpg
The Afghani was probably just creating a "safe space" for himself. After all, all those toxic white racists forced him to do it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: It's legal here in Washington state, hasn't changed the culture one bit. They would have to legalize heroin and meth too. Even then I doubt it would make much impact. People need to be invested in society, not exclusively in a particular culture. It's really more about money than drugs, IMHO.
If there is one thing religion does provide - it is a strong narrative.

People need to believe that they can accomplish something, ie that they have a change to succeed.

Git

Post by Git »

MarcusAu wrote:Hi Git
Whilst I'm about 2 percent Jewish down my father's side (so not Jewish) my cock is proudly intact.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: It's legal here in Washington state, hasn't changed the culture one bit. They would have to legalize heroin and meth too. Even then I doubt it would make much impact. People need to be invested in society, not exclusively in a particular culture. It's really more about money than drugs, IMHO.
There are a whole load of factors. In America, ethnics were shuffled off down town or to the other side of the tracks. Where they live were practically created as ghettos from the beginning of the last century. There's no work, no investment, the crime pushes any respectable entrepreneur away. The basics of this situation go back over 100 years, there was prostitution and gambling before drugs were the main business. There is the issue of absent fathers... none of this is a great mystery, but it needs a major intervention to sort it all out. Nobody is willing to say what needs to be said and tackle it head on. Not even America's first black president.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tribble wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Here it is...

"PROCJAM 2014 - Procedural Doesn’t Mean Random: Generating Interesting Content - Hazel McKendrick"
[youtube]xJRXNesI9f4[/youtube]
I know what procedural generation is. I've been playing procedurally generated games since Elite and Diablo. Even many of the old BBS games like Trade Wars 2002 and Galactic Warzone were procedurally generated. I even tried to hire someone to develop a procedural world generator (solar system really) for a PnP Science Fiction game (similar to Traveller the Role Playing Game, but far, far better mechanics and far more in-depth) I was developing. Fortunately for me, the PnP market pretty much collapsed (thanks to computer games) before I spent the money and I cancelled the game after writing about 2/3rds of it.

“Exploration is seeing things that no-one else has ever seen before. Every creature, geological formation, plant and spaceship is unique,” is the claim. And it's true and not true.

“Unique” is the wrong term to describe what we will see as we move through the game. Yes, in a technical sense, each planet might be unique, but just because Spaceship A has a slightly shifted shade of blue on its hull than Spaceship B doesn’t mean it’s really any different from the hundreds of other variants of the same model, with only minor alterations made to be able to claim it’s unique. And it's not just spaceships. I've seen some of the assets lists. You've got brontosaurs. Some are blue. Some are red. Some have feathers on their neck ridge. Others do not. They're still brontos. Same goes for their antelopes.

In the end the universe of No Man’s Sky won’t seem so 'unique' once you clue into the procedural generation tricks. You'll see that creatures which inhabit one planet will look marginally different to the ones on the last one you visited, except the water’s pink here, not green while the antelopes are red with furry tails instead of being blue with rat tails. Or maybe the sky is orange instead of yellow or blue and these brontos have yellow feathers on their neck, not green.

So, in the end, it's great for landscape and filling out the basic shape of a world. And, so far, that's all I've really seen -- a lot of different landscapes built out of the same formulas populated with the same animals, rocks, structures, foliage, etc.

My concern is that it doesn't do plots. It doesn't do animals. it doesn't make stories. In short, it doesn't make any actual game play. Just back-ground. And that's the major problem I see with this game -- lack of sustainable game play. Heck, even Minecraft has more sustainable game play because you can build. In No Man's Sky, you can't do that.
The plot has an unfolding story with a "malevolent force" in it, plus as you work your way to the center of the universe, things will get weirder and weirder, including life forms. Anyways, the video isn't about how procedural generation works, but about their team avoids the problems that others have with randomness and boringness. But the game's not for everyone. I can't even start playing minecraft because it's so ugly. However, NMS is so stunning graphically and has enough uniqueness, that even if I do ever get tired of it someday, it'll take a long time for that to happen. And I know you don't like their assets much, but I think they have really cute assets! :)

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:This will cheer people up. Completely unrelated to pretty much anything here, but a playboy model snapped a naked picture of someone else in the gym locker room and posted it on snapchat stating "If I can't unsee this then you can't either."

Consequences so far seem about right for what she did. Here is her apology/excuse.

Fuck that. If I take a picture of a naked woman in a locker room, I am getting charged with a crazy-ass crime and will have to register as a sex offender forever. And her excuse that she was just taking the picture to show a friend in private is no excuse. Am I allowed to go into gym locker rooms and take pictures of women for my own personal enjoyment?

Shauna Smith, a beautiful transwoman, was just charged with taking a picture of someone on the crapper.

https://tribwpix.files.wordpress.com/20 ... &strip=all

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/t ... -1.2710611

Why shouldn't the dummy be charged with taking and distributing a nude photo of a stranger? This is Gawker shit.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Git wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Hi Git
Whilst I'm about 2 percent Jewish down my father's side (so not Jewish) my cock is proudly intact.
Well that sorts that out.

:cdc:

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I suspect either approach would be the equivalent of shutting down the equivalent of a mini-industry in every city, and might put tens of thousands of poor black and hispanic people out of work. I'm not being facetious, if you are jobless, dealing drugs pays slightly better and has more cachet than working at McDonalds.

I'd suggest decriminalization, but that might actually make the gangs stronger and better funded.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Scented Nectar wrote: The plot has an unfolding story with a "malevolent force" in it, plus as you work your way to the center of the universe, things will get weirder and weirder, including life forms. Anyways, the video isn't about how procedural generation works, but about their team avoids the problems that others have with randomness and boringness. But the game's not for everyone. I can't even start playing minecraft because it's so ugly. However, NMS is so stunning graphically and has enough uniqueness, that even if I do ever get tired of it someday, it'll take a long time for that to happen. And I know you don't like their assets much, but I think they have really cute assets! :)
I thought it wasn't released yet? Are you part of the beta-test?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tribble wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Hey, was it a Pitter who first introduced me to No Man's Sky a couple years ago? If so, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Who was it? I want to know so that in case I'm not really in menopause, I'll go out and get preggers just so that I can name the baby after you. :D
I've been talking about it, on-and-off, for a very long time. I've been following for years. Which is why I think, at this point, it's going to end up being an over-hyped failure if they don't add any game play.
There's a ton of game play. Fighting, finding and mining stuff, working your way to the center, figuring out puzzles and alien languages, trading, exploring, crafting, and I'm probably leaving stuff out. What type of game play do you think it's missing other than building and teaming up with other real life people (you can team up with NPC factions, just not real people)?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Cnutella wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I suspect either approach would be the equivalent of shutting down the equivalent of a mini-industry in every city, and might put tens of thousands of poor black and hispanic people out of work. I'm not being facetious, if you are jobless, dealing drugs pays slightly better and has more cachet than working at McDonalds.

I'd suggest decriminalization, but that might actually make the gangs stronger and better funded.
If you let pharmacies sell all these drugs at low prices, you should wipe out organized crime overnight if the price is right.... fuck it, the government should subsidize it!
Women won't need to prostitute themselves, you will cut the amount of muggings and house breaking. You need less policing, or at least the police won't be run ragged. You don't have to tie up the courts and the prison system.
Legalize prostitution and gambling too, we'll see how glamorous the thug life is when all the money is taken out of it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:

Fuck that. If I take a picture of a naked woman in a locker room, I am getting charged with a crazy-ass crime and will have to register as a sex offender forever. And her excuse that she was just taking the picture to show a friend in private is no excuse. Am I allowed to go into gym locker rooms and take pictures of women for my own personal enjoyment?

Shauna Smith, a beautiful transwoman, was just charged with taking a picture of someone on the crapper.

[.no just no. img]https://tribwpix.files.wordpress.com/20 ... &strip=all[/img]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/t ... -1.2710611

Why shouldn't the dummy be charged with taking and distributing a nude photo of a stranger? This is Gawker shit.
That was a pretty weak 'apology'. Private conversation, didn't understand snap chat, this isn't me, never done it before, never do it again.

It was like a brute force dictionary password attack seeking the right combination.