The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by MarcusAu »

RonSwanson wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:I actually liked Penny Red's article on Milo. Yeah it had some pretentious "I'm a real writer!" spots and some identity politics crap peppered in. But I actually thought it was insightful. Someone with a brain should write an article like that about her.
Can someone resurrect Hitchens? He'd do.
I would really hope that Hitchens would have better things to write about.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Cnutella wrote:
Easy J wrote:
Cnutella wrote: I think that puts a unnecessary burden on our medical professionals. You'd soon run out of space on the forms and I don't envy anyone having to tell distraught family members that a loved one has contracted PZ Myers-Larry Moran Castrati Rage Syndrome from an infected bat.
Why is Saad ripping into PZ lately? Is there a recent incident that provoked him or is he just discovering the joy that is PZ?
They've been taking occasional potshots at each other for three or four years at least. My memory is a bit hazy but I think that the origin of the feud was back in 2012, when Rebecca Watson gave a poorly informed talk on Evolutionary Psychology, which was inevitably followed by some spirited white-knighting by PZ. Gad Saad jumped in and they occasionally butt heads to this day.

PZ has blogged about him a couple of times, iirc. Gad has brought up PZ and/or RW on a couple of youtube dicussions with nothing good to say about either.

This current spat was probably provoked by the blogpost written by Myles Powers, who resurrected the Rebecca Watson EvoPsych discussion video for reasons known only to himself. PZ rode to the rescue and Gad Saad was reminded once again how much he hates PZ. That's my perception anyway.

I don't think RW has bothered addressing the Myles Powers post or any of it's fallout. I don't think she really cares much about A/S issues any more now it's clear that the SJW banner won't revitalize atheism and bring new hordes to Skepchick. Instead she's stuck in an increasingly irrelevant market in which she alienated a large amount of her base.
I'd go with this explanation which was, in essence, what I was thinking to write but decided I'd wait and see if I'd be ninja'd before I put out the effort.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Get two 1060, 1070 or 1080. Much better for SLI.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote: Bravehero.

I like her, she's pretty funny.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Terry-Thomas was not actually a member of the upper classes.

He played a genuine cad and bounder - but was in reality a fake toff.

Next you will be finding clips of South African hairdressers to show what a cockney accent sounds like.
No need, I have the definitive example right here:

[youtube]qPVDdqh3-wQ[/youtube]
Hahaha

[youtube]iCIgUSNzSKU[/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

You want two tittens?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:I actually liked Penny Red's article on Milo. Yeah it had some pretentious "I'm a real writer!" spots and some identity politics crap peppered in. But I actually thought it was insightful. Someone with a brain should write an article like that about her.
And if he were still with us, I doubt they would have managed to pervade civil society as far as they have. He would have eaten them alive.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: They can call my city whatever they want, as long as they don't go crying about cultural appropriation and such similar bullshit in the same breath.
You could always move to Italy. I hear Venedig and Leghorn are nice.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Danzig, too...

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

And don't forget Cologne.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

#neverforget

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Brive1987 wrote:
Tapir wrote:http://i.imgur.com/UzNCvRz.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36842731
Instead of clapping, the students are free to punch the air, pull excited faces and wriggle about on the spot.
:violin: sanity.

I was hoping this would fly under the radar. I am very ashamed.
Oh FFS. One school in Sydney is doing this because one of their teachers has a hearing disorder. Yes, it's political correctness gone wild.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Sulman wrote:Hahaha

[youtube]iCIgUSNzSKU[/youtube]
I love Armando Iannucci, this is my favourite sketch!

[youtube]nHYC4ekzg60[/youtube]

That's a job I'd be happy to do, hell, I'd do it for free!

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:#neverforget
More like #Alaaf

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Tigzy wrote:Supremely cunty of Alex Jones to crash TYT's transmission like that, though. Obvious troll is obvious. All said and done, no-one came out of it with much credit.
Have you noticed how often Alex Jones touches the people that he "ambushes"? (There are other videos of his "impromptu" interviews and he seems to love patting people with whom he is arguing on the arm.) I look forward to the assault charges that will someday ensue.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote:
Tapir wrote:http://i.imgur.com/UzNCvRz.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36842731
Instead of clapping, the students are free to punch the air, pull excited faces and wriggle about on the spot.
:violin: sanity.

I was hoping this would fly under the radar. I am very ashamed.
You should! That punching the air sounds like toxic masculine aggression! :twisted:

Mothra's Dentist

Post by Mothra's Dentist »

Shooting spree in Munich
One resists the attempt to blame it on Moslems prematurely, but based on history...
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/europe/ge ... index.html

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

More on that:

'Several dead' and 10 injured in shooting rampage inside a Munich shopping centre as police hunt gunman

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailym ... ent=safari#

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

MarcusAu wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:
Well, he did write about getting a Brazilian wax.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

Oh FFS, Munich. This isn't going to stop is it?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Most of the reports say one dead. Hopefully that's just the shooter.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Shatterface wrote:More on that:

'Several dead' and 10 injured in shooting rampage inside a Munich shopping centre as police hunt gunman

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailym ... ent=safari#
I expect Gilliel will be shaking with grief right now - all those poor refugees who might have mean things said to them in a language they can't understand deserve our sympathy right now.

It will be some lonely bloke with relationship issues anyway.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shit, BBC now saying German authorities say 'several'.

Billie from Ockham

JackSkeptic wrote:My next door neighbours' wife left him and took their girl with her. His wife told him that he would never see his girl again. He was told he had no chance seeing her again, if his wife chose not to, as she will easily find legal reasons to keep them apart.

Yesterday I found out he went to the shed in his back garden, took some pills with a bottle of whisky and now he is dead.

His girl will never see her father again. He is dead, there is no way back.

So who does the law protect? Not the father and certainly not the child who had lost her father for ever. Someone that loved her so much he took his own life.

We need genuine equality. Children and adults are being hurt and mentally scarred for life.

Where is feminisim in all this?
{bold added}

That's an awful story and, yes, the MRAs have a point about custody, but the sentence that I bolded is still nonsense. Suicide can be a rational choice, but the idea that suicide can be motivated by love of a child when the suicide will do nothing good for the child is ... um ... a bit off.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

RonSwanson wrote:Oh FFS, Munich. This isn't going to stop is it?
No, it's not going to stop. Until Steerzo is president of the world.

Billie from Ockham

Cnutella wrote:I got totally
:nin:
Meetings are Tuesdays at 7pm in the church basement. Come early if you want donuts or a good seat. Remember: first names only and you don't have to speak if you don't feel up to it.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Lsuoma wrote:
this_is_the_voice_of_colossus.jpg
(173.21 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Fuck. Munich. I can't deal with that shit anymore.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:.... Someone that loved her so much he took his own life.....
Where is feminisim in all this?
{bold added}

That's an awful story and, yes, the MRAs have a point about custody, but the sentence that I bolded is still nonsense. Suicide can be a rational choice, but the idea that suicide can be motivated by love of a child when the suicide will do nothing good for the child is ... um ... a bit off.
Love must be 'rational' to be real, eh?

Billie from Ockham

Service Dog wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:That's an awful story and, yes, the MRAs have a point about custody, but the sentence that I bolded is still nonsense. Suicide can be a rational choice, but the idea that suicide can be motivated by love of a child when the suicide will do nothing good for the child is ... um ... a bit off.
Love must be 'rational' to be real, eh?
It's funny. I paused before including that because it's off-point. (I included it as a way to say that I don't see all suicides as bad, mostly because of what has happened this year.) But I stand by the main claim. In fact, even when suicide is a rational choice for a father who will never see his child again, it will not be good for the child, so it can't be motivated by love for the child; love for the child would prevent the suicide.

If this is too soon or heavy, I'll apologize and drop it. I already feel awkward.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tigzy wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Here's an interesting piece by Laurie Penny. No, really. Milo Yiannopoulous invites her to one of his speeches. She accepts, and writes this piece trying to figure him out. It actually skirts self-awareness at points.
I tried, but -
Milo Yiannopoulos is a charming devil and one of the worst people I know. I have seen the death of political discourse reflected in his designer sunglasses.
- the girl continues to write as if she's trying to get the top grade in a creative writing class. I do wish she'd just fuck off.
I liked it. I don't know who she is, but I enjoyed it.
It’s what happens when weaponised insincerity is applied to structured ignorance. Donald Trump is the Gordon Gekko of the attention economy, but even he is no longer in control.
I thought that was pretty spot-on myself, but what do I know, I'm no Steersman.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Hmmm. Genuinely can't be sure of anything yet, as Holborn pointed out on Twitter that today's the anniversary of the Breivik massacre.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Tuesday, as the ferry to Staten Island arrived at the slip, a crew member on the PA system summoned the NYPD to a specific deck, at the front of the boat, where the passengers crowded-together to exit.

I was at the back of the crowd, where it wasn't dense. I considered backing-away further. Scanned for noise or commotion. Were we being delayed, or was the ramp always this slow to extend? I couldn't see.

A couple minutes later, the crowd moved forward. The crowd flowed off the boat.

But an obstruction in the flow developed as a uniformed crewman walked against the crowd, exchanging angry words with a tough, short, grey-haired white man. I heard only snippets, but gathered that the old passenger had asked why the cops had been called, and grew agitated when the crewman brushed-him off without explanation. The old guy growled that you can't make an announcement like that without offering explanation, these days.

When the crewman's only reply was 'exit the ferry, sir', the passenger had planted himself firm & argued. The crewman turned his back on the guy & walked back onto the ferry. So the old guy was addressing empty air, with his last words, "Don't you ever question me! I ask the questions! I want an answer! Never question me!"

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Mothra's Dentist wrote:Shooting spree in Munich
One resists the attempt to blame it on Moslems prematurely, but based on history...
#NothingToDoWithIslam ...

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Cnutella wrote:I got totally
:nin:
Meetings are Tuesdays at 7pm in the church basement. Come early if you want donuts or a good seat. Remember: first names only and you don't have to speak if you don't feel up to it.
A true ninja would arrive hours before the meeting with his introduction already posted on archive.org.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Aaaand I just got caught up. Holy hell.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Just beating Giliell to the punch.

Munich has a lot of muslim migrants. I hope they haven't been disproportionately harmed in this attack like they were in Nice. :cry:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Steersman wrote:
Maybe you should call on the people of Munich to rally round.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Billie from Ockham wrote:... it will not be good for the child, so it can't be motivated by love for the child; love for the child would prevent the suicide. .
I think a father often loves his wife & kid & the life he committed his entire existence to building with them-- only to lose it all, with scant effort made by the mother to repair the situation rather than scrap it, and scrap him. So he's shunned, demonized, ruined, & sees no constructive avenue left. So he kills himself.

'Love for the child would prevent the suicide.' Beyond a certain tipping-point, maybe. But not if he's inclined to measure his self-worth by his wife's opinion of him. And the opinion of their peers who side with her against him. The example which springs to mind is Courtney Love telling Kurt Cobain he was a junkie piece of shit & the best thing he could do for his daughter was die. She was right about his imperfection. He may have lacked the tools to disagree about the rest.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Shatterface wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Maybe you should call on the people of Munich to rally round.
Maybe some are not particularly impressed with polls - particularly when they call into question their dogma and barbarisms concerning "God Himself!!" - but many others are capable of reading between the lines of what's written on the walls, subway or otherwise:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The ice cream exhibit job is falling apart. I got a call yesterday saying, literally, "all hands on deck", to start work immediately, rather than Sunday. Also, could I recruit more workers & source an obscure type of paint. I directed more workers to them. They didn't reply to my workers. I investigated the paint & learned they were seeking it because they had no idea what they're doing-- and should have explained why they thought they needed the paint/ so I could give them a better solution.

Meanwhile I asked the pay rate. Was told to submit my rate by email. I did. Less than I've ever charged this employer before. Went to bed without a reply. Woke very early, to a text saying the budget 'might not' be able to afford me working today. I waited for a reasonable hour to reply with a call. But when the time came, I couldn't think of a way to be diplomatic about the mess. I thought of all times I'd responded to unprofessional nonsense from this person-- by ignoring it & maintaining professionalism. And how it earned me no trust. Against my habit & instinct, I didn't call at all. I don't like the bridge-burning of silently walking-away from the job without giving notice not to expect me tomorrow, Sunday, or at all... not giving her the maximum chance to work-around my absence. But acting like an adult has gotten me nowhere.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Tigzy wrote:Supremely cunty of Alex Jones to crash TYT's transmission like that, though. Obvious troll is obvious. All said and done, no-one came out of it with much credit.
Have you noticed how often Alex Jones touches the people that he "ambushes"? (There are other videos of his "impromptu" interviews and he seems to love patting people with whom he is arguing on the arm.) I look forward to the assault charges that will someday ensue.
I wouldn't mind being ambushed by Alex Jones

http://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/pr ... _Jones.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cnutella wrote:http://guardianlv.com/wp-content/upload ... endent.jpg

Well, that was predictable. The picture above has the filename: Laurie-Penny-has-faced-gender-discrimination-when-writing-for-the-Independent.jpg.
Laurie Penny has made a career out of facing gender discrimination.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:The ice cream exhibit job is falling apart. I got a call yesterday saying, literally, "all hands on deck", to start work immediately, rather than Sunday. Also, could I recruit more workers & source an obscure type of paint. I directed more workers to them. They didn't reply to my workers. I investigated the paint & learned they were seeking it because they had no idea what they're doing-- and should have explained why they thought they needed the paint/ so I could give them a better solution.

Meanwhile I asked the pay rate. Was told to submit my rate by email. I did. Less than I've ever charged this employer before. Went to bed without a reply. Woke very early, to a text saying the budget 'might not' be able to afford me working today. I waited for a reasonable hour to reply with a call. But when the time came, I couldn't think of a way to be diplomatic about the mess. I thought of all times I'd responded to unprofessional nonsense from this person-- by ignoring it & maintaining professionalism. And how it earned me no trust. Against my habit & instinct, I didn't call at all. I don't like the bridge-burning of silently walking-away from the job without giving notice not to expect me tomorrow, Sunday, or at all... not giving her the maximum chance to work-around my absence. But acting like an adult has gotten me nowhere.
Wow... shit. Too bad you need this money. It would be great to just tell this woman to go fuck herself. Good luck.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

15 dead and counting.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Three armed perps reported. May still be inside.

All doctors ordered to report to the nearest hospital.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

2016 is a proper cunt, innit? :(

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Service Dog wrote:The ice cream exhibit job is falling apart. I got a call yesterday saying, literally, "all hands on deck", to start work immediately, rather than Sunday. Also, could I recruit more workers & source an obscure type of paint. I directed more workers to them. They didn't reply to my workers. I investigated the paint & learned they were seeking it because they had no idea what they're doing-- and should have explained why they thought they needed the paint/ so I could give them a better solution.

You can always stay matter-of-fact, in good spirit: “Thanks for your reply/[something]. Let me know until X when you want to book me/have plans for me/etc until X.” or you can frame it as an almost yes, then you can write “Thanks for considering me/etc. In order to plan, I'd like to call you at X, are you available then?” and so on.

Especially in a business setting you can (and should) adopt a cool headed, friendly but straight manner. You acknowledge what they write, but you don't need to play games of reading in between the lines, or guessing.

Also, always play back on their pitch. Never leave things open. Either you do something, and you then clearly write that, or you say what they need to do. If something is just FYI, also mark that. Obviously, keep your part. When something goes nowhere, it's never because of unclarity or your fault. If you want to keep control, you can yourself take the lead and say that you call etc. Hope that's useful.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Six killed, three gunman, unknown number of injured.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

I wonder if those were the Brevik fangirls. Today's 5 year "anniversary" of his deed.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Germans in the area are offering shelter for anyone trapped there.

Might actually be a good idea if the authorities gave at least vague descriptions of who they are looking for before people invite them into their homes.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Shatterface wrote:Germans in the area are offering shelter for anyone trapped there.
If you know any Poles in the area, this Hotel is providing a shelter (I bet they will take anyone).
Also, number of causalities increased to 7.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote:Somehow I missed the news that Mick Lynch died in December.

[youtube]yWa3ouFWwJs[/youtube]

That bites.
There's part of a documentary, on youtube, called something like "the search for mick lynch" which follows his ex band mates search for him through a succession of Irish pubs :)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Aneris wrote:
You can always stay matter-of-fact, in good spirit: “Thanks for your reply/[something]. Let me know until X when you want to book me/have plans for me/etc until X.” or you can frame it as an almost yes, then you can write “Thanks for considering me/etc. In order to plan, I'd like to call you at X, are you available then?” and so on.

Especially in a business setting you can (and should) adopt a cool headed, friendly but straight manner. You acknowledge what they write, but you don't need to play games of reading in between the lines, or guessing.

Also, always play back on their pitch. Never leave things open. Either you do something, and you then clearly write that, or you say what they need to do. If something is just FYI, also mark that. Obviously, keep your part. When something goes nowhere, it's never because of unclarity or your fault. If you want to keep control, you can yourself take the lead and say that you call etc. Hope that's useful.
The only thing I'd add to this advice is, if you too consistently =need= those protective measures, to keep the relationship functioning... then that's costly client... and looking for a lower-friction match is a good idea.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:15 dead and counting.
Who's counting 15? Munich Police reported as 6 so far.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

The RationalWiki claims ...
The 2016 Munich Attack was a terrorist attack conducted by 3 Germans opposed to Muslim immigration to Germany and Europe. The attack took place on July 22, 2016. It centered around a McDonalds restaurant in a shopping mall
They are the first to whine when a terroristic attack to linked to Islam, even when the attacker shout Allah's name. No, we have to wait for their Facebook profile and then know exactly how religious they are et cetera.

What's more. This case is remarkably unclear. ARD News (think BBC One) discuss islamist possibilities and believe this is likely (proposed just now), because of a series of attacks in Europe with a similar pattern. The “rumour” that it was Right Wing extremism came up, briefly, but the expert dismissed this as unlikely and untypical.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steers doesn't make music videos, but if he did...

[youtube]Ws5se6wLjUY[/youtube]

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Aneris wrote:The RationalWiki claims ...
Sweet Buddha, can we at least wait for the shooters to be dealt with. I don't know from where RWiki takes its certainty. I bet they flip their shit if someone assumes religious motivation.