The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's still having difficulty with the concept of humour.
I blame Intel's defective 8086 emotion chip.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

How long before the EU bans machetes?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

comhcinc wrote:
I am a pretty big Trek nerd myself though I will admit that I am kinda weird about the series. For the shows I rank them as such

Enterprise
Deep Space 9
The original series
The Next Generation
Voyager

I have so far liked the new movies for the most part. Really like the first one a lot. Didn't like the second one that much.

Btw did you see the video teaser for the new series? I posted it last night so it should only be a page or so back. It takes place before TOS and happens in the original universe.
For me it's

DS9
Next Generation
TOS
Voyager
Enterprise

I liked Into Darkness, despite the Khan retread. It was a lot of fun, and well-done.

Going back to check that trailer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote: I am a pretty big Trek nerd myself though I will admit that I am kinda weird about the series. For the shows I rank them as such

Enterprise
Deep Space 9
The original series
The Next Generation
Voyager
I ended up liking Voyager best after initially being cold to it. The interplay of characters in a crucible, as well as individual character development over time, was the best part for me.

Liked TNG first time through (back when it was on TV). Second time, the SJW factor and overall wussiness of the entire Federation made it intolerable. The TNG movies were for the most part good, Especially Picard kicking ass in the Borg Queen one.

Original still holds ups, despite the camp and period elements.

Nothing happened on DS9. It was just people walking around in a shopping mall in space.

Enterprise held promise, but was a disaster. The acting, especially Scott Blacula, was cringe-worthy.
I have so far liked the new movies for the most part. Really like the first one a lot. Didn't like the second one that much. .
First one was enjoyable. So much promise. Second one had an awesome intro scene, then jumped the shark around Scene 4. I would have preferred close remakes of the original series.

I'd reboot TNG with an SJW theme. Cast Steve Shives as Riker, the Missus as Troi.
"I sense great misogyny on this planet. :evil: "

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
Steersman wrote:Y'all might want to check out franc's latest post on the Epidemic of Ghostbusters related suicides
Those are joke photoshops franc posted. The suicides have nothing to do with Ghostbusters.

Here's one of the suicides as it actually was reported.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 25503.html
:oops: Time for another humour-module upgrade ... But another original:
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=70805

In any case, doesn't really obviate or refute the point that I was making, i.e., that many people go off the deep end for one reason or another. But very few if any of those other suicides take other people with them - in notable contradistinction to most if not all Muslim terrorists.

ffs

Post by ffs »

[youtube]3D1sW7tu6-s[/youtube]

Funny shit. Some funny Shives knocks in there too

Speaking of which I am not sure of Edwards latest and possibly last on Shives was linked

[youtube]Bdkib14hT18[/youtube]

Goes out well if so

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
comhcinc wrote: I am a pretty big Trek nerd myself though I will admit that I am kinda weird about the series. For the shows I rank them as such

Enterprise
Deep Space 9
The original series
The Next Generation
Voyager
I ended up liking Voyager best after initially being cold to it. The interplay of characters in a crucible, as well as individual character development over time, was the best part for me.

Liked TNG first time through (back when it was on TV). Second time, the SJW factor and overall wussiness of the entire Federation made it intolerable. The TNG movies were for the most part good, Especially Picard kicking ass in the Borg Queen one.

Original still holds ups, despite the camp and period elements.

Nothing happened on DS9. It was just people walking around in a shopping mall in space.

Enterprise held promise, but was a disaster. The acting, especially Scott Blacula, was cringe-worthy.
I have so far liked the new movies for the most part. Really like the first one a lot. Didn't like the second one that much. .
First one was enjoyable. So much promise. Second one had an awesome intro scene, then jumped the shark around Scene 4. I would have preferred close remakes of the original series.

I'd reboot TNG with an SJW theme. Cast Steve Shives as Riker, the Missus as Troi.
"I sense great misogyny on this planet. :evil: "

I could never get into Voyager. I mean a woman captain, really? Completely unbelievable :twatson: But really I don't know why I didn't like it I just know remember it was never my thing. It's on netflix and I really should give it another look.

Deep Space 9 started so but really picks up with the Dominion War. It has my favorite episode of any Trek.

I agree with you about TOS. Still stands up and I still watch episodes from time to time.

I also agree with TNG. It suffered from Roddenberry being the show runner and they are just never able to get away from what he established. They probably produce the best movie.

Poor misunderstood Enterprise. No really I get it. It has issues but I really like the show for a lot of reasons. I like the fact that the tech is crude and they don't get to deus ex machina everything in the show. It also explores aliens more than any other series. It is a shame it was cancelled when it was and the last episode still hurts to watch it's so bad.

I am also with you with the new movies. The first I really liked the second started good but goes awry.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Oh there is a clear game underway. And he has pretty much been influenced by her to drop his friends in favour of an exclusive relationship. Isolating the parents is the next phase in control and ownership. I have had the discussions, lectures and man to mans .....
Have you told her directly you think you know what game she's playing? Does she even realise it herself?
I think her isolate and control approach is how she deals with life on an instinctual basis - third party boundaries and push back become emotional engagement points.

It's always tricky wrestling with passive aggressives as by definition they build plausible deniability into the equation. More so when your son is ready to white knight. So currently we have been working on him as the least entrenched of the two.

"How's that working for you?" Yep new tactics may be required.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I really should have got shares in Butterkist, because it is popcorn driven fun from the Cult of Corbyn in the UK.

The latest incident involved a WATERGATE style break-in at an MP's office.

Well, OK, it is not quite Watergate, but I'm loving this shit.
[youtube]419MIT7xNhs[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Oh there is a clear game underway. And he has pretty much been influenced by her to drop his friends in favour of an exclusive relationship. Isolating the parents is the next phase in control and ownership. I have had the discussions, lectures and man to mans .....
Have you told her directly you think you know what game she's playing? Does she even realise it herself?
I think her isolate and control approach is how she deals with life on an instinctual basis - third party boundaries and push back become emotional engagement points.

It's always tricky wrestling with passive aggressives as by definition they build plausible deniability into the equation. More so when your son is ready to white knight. So currently we have been working on him as the least entrenched of the two.

"How's that working for you?" Yep new tactics may be required.
My advice. Do nothing. Pull a Switzerland and remain neutral. I mean how you gonna win against a prime piece of pussy?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ is salivating with anticipation for Wonder Woman 2017. So is Caine. A no shame, no guilt, feminist up skirt bonanza.

I've often wondered why sucker punch never became a SJ anthem.

**spoilers**

In the real world, Girl loses mother. She and younger sister are abused by male power in the form of stepfather. His rape attempt causes sister to accidentally kill sibling (the would be sex victim). Police side with stepdad. Girl is locked up in a ward run by men where her last vestige of agency is stripped away and a lobotomy is organised for her. At no point are men presented as anything other than patriarchs.

Girl rationalises her situation as being similar to being exploited in bordello. Only ally the sole woman worker. In this alt reality, sexual allure is turned against the dick crazed men. She fantasises about regaining power and iconising her fetisch gear as a uniform of control. But no the women lose the game as they must.

This two level fantasy process convinces her the only way to be spiritually free is to sacrifice this existence and stop struggling - she 'escapes' via the RL lobotomy. With a smile.

The whole thing is unrelentingly dystopian third wave feminist.

But no.

PZ has other interests.

http://i.imgur.com/IlZtiiP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XWzipnN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ABXuPFO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VknrBrW.jpg

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Aneris wrote:It's all big liberal conspirazeeh!
Wikipedia wrote:Former Sex Pistols and Public Image Ltd vocalist John Lydon alluded to sordid conduct by Savile, as well as suppression of widely held knowledge about such activity, in an October 1978 interview recorded for BBC Radio 1. Lydon stated: "I'd like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he's a hypocrite. I bet he's into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours." He added: "I bet none of this will be allowed out."[99] As predicted, the comment was edited out by the BBC prior to broadcasting, but the complete interview was included as a bonus track on a re-release of Public Image Ltd's 1978 debut album Public Image: First Issue in 2013, after Savile's death.[100] In October 2014, Lydon expanded on his original quote, saying: "By killed I meant locking him up and stopping him assaulting young children... I'm disgusted at the media pretending they weren't aware."
What's your fantastic explanation? That all these people from punk rock musicians to children somehow colluded to bring down a man widely praised for his philanthropic engagement in charity and the likes? Why would they want that, and how would they do this?
We finally agree, Aneris.

Well, while I don't know if you agree with me, I'm glad to see someone looks at this a bit more skeptically than to just accept the increasingly hysterical conclusions about what a monster he was.

Millions of people believe the stories about this man. Some of them are musicians and have written songs about him and what he has done. Most of all: people who have never met each other often tell the exact same stories, which cannot be a coincidence.

And, yet, people like Clarence play the hyper-skeptical card and ask for more of what they call "evidence" ... the kind of evidence that might stand up in court ... ignoring all of the above. Even when presented with punk-rock songs about this man, they still refuse to believe in the divinity of Christ.

That is what we were talking about, yes? The divinity of Christ?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Wikileaks drops harmful DNC emails just before the convention. Is Assange trying to manipulate the election with the help of Russian hackers, possibly at the behest of Putin? So is wikileaks a wonderful new free speech tool or a tool of political subterfuge? Inquiring minds want to know! :think:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/23/wikileak ... ation.html
Of course it was timed and was politically motivated, and who knows, perhaps Putin wants to damage Hillary....

...but....don't shoot the messenger. There are some rather shady goings on oin these leaks. Of course, the GOP could get up to the same stuff, but it is particularly interesting how cosy they seem to be with MSM. Now, we have been saying for a while that certain regressives and SJWs have a toxic influence within certain sectors of the MSM, and we see it here. It almost seems like COLLUSION between journalists and media outlets, with certain political groups to push a narrative.

GamerGate all over. I am not in the camp of the truthers who think the MSM are all lizards, etc. but it is rather worrying at how they are nowhere near as impartial as they claim to be.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Of course it was timed and was politically motivated, and who knows, perhaps Putin wants to damage Hillary....

...but....don't shoot the messenger.
That's what I don't understand. Let's say this is all an evil scheme by Putin. So what? Does that mean we shouldn't pay any attention to the information?

I mean snitches get stitches I guess.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Gumby wrote:Everyone's talking about the new Ghostbusters, but don't worry there's plenty of movie suckage to go around. Just got back from Star Trek: Beyond. What a mess, and I say this as a person who can find something to like about anything Star Trek. Hyperactive action, CGI and noise are no substitutes for an actual plot. 6/10, if that.
I saw Star Trek Beyond in 3D, due to the timings. It was visually poor. I'm sure the 2D print would have been far superior. I've never taken to 3D, perhaps because I also wear glasses, and having TWO pairs of glasses to watch a darkened screen doesn't work for me.

BTW, the bit with the "bike" was daft.

Aneris

Fear of Terror

Post by Aneris »

Just saw this, and it's RE: Steersman et al who claim public TV in Germany allegedly sweeps it all under the rug. Another counter-example: Fear of Terror on the Rise. Justified? (GERMAN)

She says, terror was worse but it used to be more regional (IRA in Ireland, ETA in Spain, RAF in Germany etc) and aimed at government or specific individuals. So what's different now? Quotation: "The Islamistic terror of today is targeted at the entire free western world and lifestyle, so are terror attacks always attacks against the whole west."

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

sp0tlight wrote:
Gumby wrote:Everyone's talking about the new Ghostbusters, but don't worry there's plenty of movie suckage to go around. Just got back from Star Trek: Beyond. What a mess, and I say this as a person who can find something to like about anything Star Trek. Hyperactive action, CGI and noise are no substitutes for an actual plot. 6/10, if that.
Fuck, I have tickets for tomorrow, should I cancel?
No.

It is considerably better than Ghostbusters, and a LOT better than Independence Day: Resurgence, which was shite beyond belief.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
I saw Star Trek Beyond in 3D, due to the timings. It was visually poor. I'm sure the 2D print would have been far superior. I've never taken to 3D, perhaps because I also wear glasses, and having TWO pairs of glasses to watch a darkened screen doesn't work for me.

BTW, the bit with the "bike" was daft.

3D actually makes me queasy. So I am with you about not caring about 3D. Honestly I am surprised it's still a thing.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Oh, wow. How did that happen?

In any case, I was trying to say that its good to see at least two people on this thread a bit skeptical about the Saville stuff (Andrew, Billie) even if they don't agree with opinion which would nearly totally exonerate him.

As for your question, Aneris:

A. When it's known that parts of Britain have decided to make 'unwelcome approaches' and catcalls 'hate crimes'
B. When you see the US Department of Education basically destroying Due Process for college students due to accepting a sexual victimization narrative from radical feminists
C. When you know who Erin Prizzey is, what has happened to her, and how radical feminists have almost completely controlled the "Shelter movement" in England and, (through the Duluth Model) most of the US's domestic violence shelters and education
D. When you see how 'victimhood' sales these days
E. When you see things such as prostitution defined (in official reports from the US government following leads from NGO's that operate from the UN) prostitution redefined as sexual trafficking, a sort of redefinition that assures "mission creep"
F. When you remember that feminists have a huge place in the US Government and the UK government, a large presence in Academia, and several legal societies both in the US and UK who even had a vote held this year (lucky it failed) to include "Yes Means Yes" criminal standards for rape in the US's Model Penal Code
G. That the US has been on a war against all expressions of sexuality since Ed Meese and Ronald Reagan in the 80's
H. The background of Theresa May and the Labor and Conservative governments in the UK when it comes to 'feminist issues' the past 20 years
I. How federal agencies in the US at least, tend to get more funding the bigger they can show a problem is, thus incentivizing definitional creep (of offenses)
J. The current irrational state of politics in both countries

How you can doubt that policies that rely on "believing the victim", require no evidence, and lead to monetary payouts might lead to injustices and witchhunts is beyond me.

Yes, despite what various papers and politicians and even police have said about JS, NONE of there assrtions are based on any real physical evidence, and none have been tested in a hostile court , nor by any proper investigatory techniques.

But the guy is dead... no harm, no foul, right? Except that 4 million pounds he willed to charity....

comhcinc

Re: Fear of Terror

Post by comhcinc »

Aneris wrote:Just saw this, and it's RE: Steersman et al who claim public TV in Germany allegedly sweeps it all under the rug. Another counter-example: Fear of Terror on the Rise. Justified? (GERMAN)

She says, terror was worse but it used to be more regional (IRA in Ireland, ETA in Spain, RAF in Germany etc) and aimed at government or specific individuals. So what's different now? Quotation: "The Islamistic terror of today is targeted at the entire free western world and lifestyle, so are terror attacks always attacks against the whole west."

I sure that is what you would want us to believe!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I saw the second one. It was so-so. WHen I saw the trailer for this one, I was completely turned-off. It just looked like it was going to be a mindless CGI fest.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

1. Voyager, obs
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. DS9
5. Enterprise

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

comhcinc wrote:
Aneris wrote:Just saw this, and it's RE: Steersman et al who claim public TV in Germany allegedly sweeps it all under the rug. Another counter-example: Fear of Terror on the Rise. Justified? (GERMAN)

I sure that is what you would want us to believe!
One crucial difference is that Islamists do not value any sort of life in this world, and they are complete and total nihilists.

If there was a chance to get all Islamists on a remote island, a nuclear bomb dropped on it would be fully justified.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:1. Voyager, obs
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. DS9
5. Enterprise
I assume that you are ranking them on a scale of 1 though 5 with 5 being best.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

comhcinc wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:1. Voyager, obs
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. DS9
5. Enterprise
I assume that you are ranking them on a scale of 1 though 5 with 5 being best.
Cheeky monkey.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tribble wrote:
I saw the second one. It was so-so. WHen I saw the trailer for this one, I was completely turned-off. It just looked like it was going to be a mindless CGI fest.
I have been unimpressed with the trailers as well, but it's Star Trek and thus I always want to check it out, & it's getting good reviews so I am looking forward.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Clarence wrote:Oh, wow. How did that happen?

In any case, I was trying to say that its good to see at least two people on this thread a bit skeptical about the Saville stuff (Andrew, Billie) even if they don't agree with opinion which would nearly totally exonerate him.

As for your question, Aneris:

A. When it's known that parts of Britain have decided to make 'unwelcome approaches' and catcalls 'hate crimes'
B. When you see the US Department of Education basically destroying Due Process for college students due to accepting a sexual victimization narrative from radical feminists
C. When you know who Erin Prizzey is, what has happened to her, and how radical feminists have almost completely controlled the "Shelter movement" in England and, (through the Duluth Model) most of the US's domestic violence shelters and education
D. When you see how 'victimhood' sales these days
E. When you see things such as prostitution defined (in official reports from the US government following leads from NGO's that operate from the UN) prostitution redefined as sexual trafficking, a sort of redefinition that assures "mission creep"
F. When you remember that feminists have a huge place in the US Government and the UK government, a large presence in Academia, and several legal societies both in the US and UK who even had a vote held this year (lucky it failed) to include "Yes Means Yes" criminal standards for rape in the US's Model Penal Code
G. That the US has been on a war against all expressions of sexuality since Ed Meese and Ronald Reagan in the 80's
H. The background of Theresa May and the Labor and Conservative governments in the UK when it comes to 'feminist issues' the past 20 years
I. How federal agencies in the US at least, tend to get more funding the bigger they can show a problem is, thus incentivizing definitional creep (of offenses)
J. The current irrational state of politics in both countries

How you can doubt that policies that rely on "believing the victim", require no evidence, and lead to monetary payouts might lead to injustices and witchhunts is beyond me.

Yes, despite what various papers and politicians and even police have said about JS, NONE of there assrtions are based on any real physical evidence, and none have been tested in a hostile court , nor by any proper investigatory techniques.

But the guy is dead... no harm, no foul, right? Except that 4 million pounds he willed to charity....
You know, they never actually put Hitler on trial?

There's a difference between skepticism and la la la can't hear you. Accusations against Savile were made as far back as the early Sixties. Why? Because people were hoping he'd get rich, some irrelevant shit would happen on US campuses, and fifty-plus years later his accusers would get a pension?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

comhcinc wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

...but....don't shoot the messenger.
That's what I don't understand. Let's say this is all an evil scheme by Putin. So what? Does that mean we shouldn't pay any attention to the information?

I mean snitches get stitches I guess.
If Putin is trying to fix an American election you would think that's no big deal?
The dems trying to rig the nomination is not nothing for sure and it should be noted but I don't understand how you go so what to a really dangerous anti-american, anti-democratic dictator trying to fix your election.
As for Tuvok's comment on the media being left leaning, in the US that is not correct. Some of them are, but some of the biggest outlets like Fox news are basically the propaganda arm of republican party. It's architect and newly fired pres. Roger Ailes was one of Dicky Nixon's dirty operatives and the Fox news crew makes Nixon look like a liberal.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

I rather doubt I said anything like "sweeps it all under the rug". Seem to recollect saying, several times, that Merkel had her thumbs on the scales. But maybe that's a colloquialism you're not familiar with.

In any case, breaking news; not sure how accurate:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It's on the BBC too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:If Putin is trying to fix an American election you would think that's no big deal?
It matters a lot about how he is trying to fix the election. If his scheme is to release a bunch of emails that shows how shitty the DNC is acting then I am not really worried. I mean if the DNC wasn't acting shitty then this leak couldn't hurt them.

I have said it before that I understand spycraft to be a normal part of world politics. I expect lots of countries to not only be interested in our elections but also trying to influence them as well.

So yeah if this is Putin big plan I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I'll wait for Aneris to tell us that this is nothing, and IEDs go off all the time.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Sunder wrote:
Here's hoping Rolling Stone doesn't have two nickels to rub together very soon.
Don't want to make excuses for her but I'm inclined to read that as post-hoc CYA.

"Our story was true in everything but its facts."

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Keating wrote:I'll wait for Aneris to tell us that this is nothing, and IEDs go off all the time.

You have no evidence that it was an IED. It could have been state sponsored.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:It's on the BBC too.
Big Black Cocks?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Keating wrote:I'll wait for Aneris to tell us that this is nothing, and IEDs go off all the time.
I have just learned about it, and German news report, citing the mayor Ms Seidel, that they assume an explosive caused it.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Shatterface wrote: You know, they never actually put Hitler on trial?

There's a difference between skepticism and la la la can't hear you. Accusations against Savile were made as far back as the early Sixties. Why? Because people were hoping he'd get rich, some irrelevant shit would happen on US campuses, and fifty-plus years later his accusers would get a pension?
As far back as the early 60's?
Wow! You'd never have guessed that he had already been a DJ, sport person, and radio personality by then, would you?
And that just about anyone who comes into contact with large amounts of teens or kids over a long period of time gets rumors and accusations of this sort thrown about them.

No one ever substantiated any of those , now, did they?
It's interesting that you think accusation = guilt esp when accusation:
A. Is allowed for things that allegedly happened decades ago
B. No one has yet been punished for lying, even though some claimants won't get money because as Anna Racoon notes, their stories were found to be physically impossible
C. You get money if your accusation is not disproven. In short, its not up to you to prove anything, its up to his estate to disprove it.
D. Did I mention you get to make your accusations anonymously?

That you find any 'truth' in this kind of 'investigation' is on you.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

A blast in Ansbach and apparently a 21yr old Syrian refugee killed a pregnant woman with a machete, and wounded two others before being apprehended in Reutlingen.

Police are saying that there is no terrorist connection and the suspect has a history of violent behaviour. However, even if this attack has nothing to do with factors like Daesh and Islamism, I don't think many will be seeing beyond the 'Syrian refugee' part and the brutality that is death by machete.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Clarence wrote: And that just about anyone who comes into contact with large amounts of teens or kids over a long period of time gets rumors and accusations of this sort thrown about them.
I don't know enough about the dude ya are talking about to have an opinion one way or the other but I found this statement to be really incorrect. Just off the top of my head outside of Michael Jackson I can't think of very many people who spent time with children who had claims made against them. Mr Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, Bill Nye......

comslave

Post by comslave »

Start queuing the apologists.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Every terrorist act it Europe brings us closer to President Trump.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

comslave wrote:
Start queuing the apologists.
Only that I never did it, and argued on the contrary that the media in Germany is overall straightforward, which is an argument about the reporting (i.e. meta), not about the subject. Further, there have been many cases where people here have asserted demonstrably untrue things, to which I specifically responded with facts.

By the way, the authorities assume that the person who was killed was the one who placed the explosive, which is good news. At least no innocent person got killed this time. Hopefully those ten who were injured can recover.

comslave

Post by comslave »

It appears only the bomber died. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

comslave wrote:It appears only the bomber died. It's like they're not even trying anymore.
One wonders, in the hypothetical case that this was a muslim sinner with perhaps a premature explosion problem, whether he gets into heaven for his intentions even though no infidels were killed.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Gumby wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I am a pretty big Trek nerd myself though I will admit that I am kinda weird about the series. For the shows I rank them as such

Enterprise
Deep Space 9
The original series
The Next Generation
Voyager

I have so far liked the new movies for the most part. Really like the first one a lot. Didn't like the second one that much.

Btw did you see the video teaser for the new series? I posted it last night so it should only be a page or so back. It takes place before TOS and happens in the original universe.
For me it's

DS9
Next Generation
TOS
Voyager
Enterprise

I liked Into Darkness, despite the Khan retread. It was a lot of fun, and well-done.

Going back to check that trailer.

TNG
Voyager
DS9
TOS (never got into this at all, hated it).

comslave

Post by comslave »

fuzzy wrote:
comslave wrote:It appears only the bomber died. It's like they're not even trying anymore.
One wonders, in the hypothetical case that this was a muslim sinner with perhaps a premature explosion problem, whether he gets into heaven for his intentions even though no infidels were killed.
He was nervous. It was his first time.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: TOS (never got into this at all, hated it).

https://media.giphy.com/media/FmsOcKwVAFwUo/giphy.gif

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

There were women in the new Trek and you hated so you are a misogynist.

I thought it was just okay. I really hated the first two though so my expectations were low. I only went because the bf wanted to see it.

Used to love the original series and TNG, but saw a TNG episode last year and it didn't hold up well at all. I'm very interested in the new Discovery series because I think Bryan Fuller is brilliant, but I'm not subscribing to another streaming service to watch it.

My faves:
DS9
TOS
TNG
Enterprise

I prefer to pretend that Voyager never happened. Except for the Captain Proton episodes, I hated everything about this show, from Kate Mulgrew doing a Katherine Hepburn impersonation for 7 seasons, to the mystical amerindian, to Spock with tits, to the Gilligan's Island premise(Will they make it back home this week? Ans: no.)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Remember folks. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM.

Ever.

comslave

Post by comslave »

katamari Damassi wrote:
There were women in the new Trek and you hated so you are a misogynist.

I thought it was just okay. I really hated the first two though so my expectations were low. I only went because the bf wanted to see it.

Used to love the original series and TNG, but saw a TNG episode last year and it didn't hold up well at all. I'm very interested in the new Discovery series because I think Bryan Fuller is brilliant, but I'm not subscribing to another streaming service to watch it.

My faves:
DS9
TOS
TNG
Enterprise

I prefer to pretend that Voyager never happened. Except for the Captain Proton episodes, I hated everything about this show, from Kate Mulgrew doing a Katherine Hepburn impersonation for 7 seasons, to the mystical amerindian, to Spock with tits, to the Gilligan's Island premise(Will they make it back home this week? Ans: no.)
I enjoyed ST:Beyond, but it's not quite Star Trek. It just didn't spend enough time with the characters. And yeah, Uhura turning into a kickboxer was cringy. The fight scenes were worthless because you couldn't actually see them. And the reason the villain had for his villainery was thin as hell. "I got marooned so kill everyone" was already done by Khan.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Just another reminder that I posted this a couple of days before Wurzburg, which was before Munich, which was before Reutlingen, which was before Ansbach.......
CommanderTuvok wrote:We, especially in Europe, are now expecting these attacks to happen at an ever-increasing regular interval. Oh, and I predict Germany or Sweden are due.......
:snooty:

comslave

Post by comslave »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Just another reminder that I posted this a couple of days before Wurzburg, which was before Munich, which was before Reutlingen, which was before Ansbach.......
CommanderTuvok wrote:We, especially in Europe, are now expecting these attacks to happen at an ever-increasing regular interval. Oh, and I predict Germany or Sweden are due.......
:snooty:
Can we talk the terrorists in to scheduling them a little better? Bearing is live today and I don't want to switch over to the news.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Clarence wrote:
Shatterface wrote: You know, they never actually put Hitler on trial?

As far back as the early 60's?
Wow! You'd never have guessed that he had already been a DJ, sport person, and radio personality by then, would you?
And that just about anyone who comes into contact with large amounts of teens or kids over a long period of time gets rumors and accusations of this sort thrown about them.

No one ever substantiated any of those , now, did they?
It's interesting that you think accusation = guilt esp when accusation:
A. Is allowed for things that allegedly happened decades ago
B. No one has yet been punished for lying, even though some claimants won't get money because as Anna Racoon notes, their stories were found to be physically impossible
C. You get money if your accusation is not disproven. In short, its not up to you to prove anything, its up to his estate to disprove it.
D. Did I mention you get to make your accusations anonymously?

That you find any 'truth' in this kind of 'investigation' is on you.
I can't remember a single case of paedophilia that you haven't dismissed.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote: I'm very interested in the new Discovery series because I think Bryan Fuller is brilliant, but I'm not subscribing to another streaming service to watch it.
The first episode will be broadcast. If you live outside of the U.S. the series is going straight to netflix.

What I will probably do is wait for the complete season to be done and sign up for the free month that you know they will have. If it's just fucking greatest thing evar I will either pirate it or see if I can get it via amazon.

The free month thing is what I just did with Seeso so I could watch the first season of Harmon Quest and the second season of Cyanide and Happiness.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Obligatory.

[youtube]CBjKZaSvfGg[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Star Wars > Star Trek: TOS > TNG > Enterprise > Rest

Never had the opportunity to get into DS9 or Voyager. When I happened onto an Episode, I found them “meh” which could just mean that they don't work well as standalones. TOS invented it all and had the most iconic characters. TNG is close second in that regard, but found several episodes rather bland. I liked Enterprise and watched properly from the start, then lost track at some point. But all in all, none of it made a lasting impression. It's of course silly to compare it with Star Wars (completely different genre), though still, like that better for too many reasons. Have seen a few Trek films, but found them wanting. Wrath of Kahn is allegedly the best, but have yet to see it.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Pitchguest wrote:
Obligatory.
Islam needs quality control. You can't just take in everyone or you will just end up looking stupid.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BREAKING: At least one dead and 12 injured in suicide bomb attack at German wine bar
AT LEAST one person has been killed following a suspected suicide bomb attack at a wine bar in Germany.
Police say up to 12 other people were injured in the blast in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, three of them critically.

Ansbach's mayor Carda Seidel said the inferno was caused by an explosive device.

The horrifying incident occurred at 10.30pm local time at Eugen's Weinstube in the city’s old town.

The man has been killed is the suicide bomber and the explosive device he was carrying went off accidentally, according to police.

Unconfirmed reports state nearby homes have been evacuated.
The nearby Ansbach Open Music Festival has been cancelled as a result of the blast, with around 2,500 people rushed to safety.

Unconfirmed reports claim a man with a rucksack was denied entry to the festival shortly before the explosion ripped through the popular night spot.

The attack took place just three miles away from a US military base, which is home to the 12th Combat Aviation Brigade.

comslave

Post by comslave »

AndrewV69 wrote:BREAKING: At least one dead and 12 injured in suicide bomb attack at German wine bar

Unconfirmed reports claim a man with a rucksack was denied entry to the festival shortly before the explosion ripped through the popular night spot.
Obvious Islamophobia.

Keating

Post by Keating »

DS9 -> TNG -> VOY -> TOS -> ENT