The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by comhcinc »

Aneris wrote: Wrath of Kahn is allegedly the best, but have yet to see it.
KHAN!!!

[youtube]wRnSnfiUI54[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Meanwhile, only a day ago Kabul: At least 80 feared killed, more than 200 wounded in IS claimed bomb attack
Thousands of people from Afghanistan's Hazara minority had gathered to demand changes to the route of a planned multi-million dollar power transmission line.
A suicide bomber hit a large demonstration by members of Afghanistan’s Hazara minority in Kabul on Saturday that killed at least 80 and wounded around 231 people, according to Afghanistan Interior Ministry.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, says the group’s Amaq News Agency.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

My Star Trek two cents, for me it is in order of best to worst:

TNG
DS9
Enterprise
TOS
Voyager

TNG takes 1st probably because it's the Trek I grew up with and despite the frequently cringeful early seasons - that Yar drugs are bad m'kay speech - it really developed strongly and gave us the original implacable Borg. Plus Cpt Picard was awesome, the Offspring is still my favourite Trek episode out of em all.

DS9 really is dreary as it tried to copy TNG's adventure of the week format but while stuck on a virtually unmoving station. However, when the Dominion war kicks off so does DS9 but then Roddenberry was out of the way and all out war could feature more strongly in the Trek universe. Oh, and it has a great cast of supporting characters like Quark and Garak.

I actually really liked Enterprise bar the score as it tried to have a more focused story arc over prior Treks but it also did something no other Trek did, make the galaxy looked lived in. Every other Trek is filled with lifeless locales with a few scattered people quietly whispering as easy listening Jazz tinkles in the background but Enterprise just made the Trek universe look a bit more real. It also has a number of fine episodes and Hoshi is hot,

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 3e2d90.jpg

which helps, especially in that Mirror Universe episode. It's pilot is also better than any of the others, in my opinion at any rate.

TOS, well, it may have been the genesis of the rest but it looks basic and a bit campy these days, even the updated version.

I actually loathe much of Voyager: it made a complete pigs ear of the stranded 70,000Ly premise; it has Trek's Jar Jar in Neelix; it turned the Borg into little more than Janeway's punchbag; it had a raging hypocrite of a captain; Jesus Christ that fucking finale. While probably better overall than TOS, the fact that it has that pious Janeway is what relegates it to the bottom. That said it still has a number of good episodes like Equinox.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

AndrewV69 wrote:Meanwhile, only a day ago Kabul: At least 80 feared killed, more than 200 wounded in IS claimed bomb attack
Thousands of people from Afghanistan's Hazara minority had gathered to demand changes to the route of a planned multi-million dollar power transmission line.
A suicide bomber hit a large demonstration by members of Afghanistan’s Hazara minority in Kabul on Saturday that killed at least 80 and wounded around 231 people, according to Afghanistan Interior Ministry.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, says the group’s Amaq News Agency.
Another incongruity between Islamic terrorists & the SJWs that defend them: The terrorists consistently step up & take responsibility for their own decisions.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Neelix. I had completely blocked him. I hate Neelix. Fucking Neelix

If anyone needs me I will be in the angry dome.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OE00Q3GMe9mcE/giphy.gif

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

My sincere apologies sir but when you think of Voyager and why you detest it - sorry Commander - then that grinning gobshite is soon to manifest in your mind's eye if your mental blocks aren't as secure as yours.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Seeing as no one else has posted this before?

Hillary Clinto bot suffers a malfunction and quickly reboots:
[youtube]Ia12gBz8RkY[/youtube]

Nothing to see here move along. Robust error correction software saved the day.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

AndrewV69 wrote:Meanwhile, only a day ago Kabul: At least 80 feared killed, more than 200 wounded in IS claimed bomb attack
Your islamaphobia is throbbing away for everyone to see you murtad.
Your fasting and your wudhoo are negated and you are proven apostate.
Lucky for you IS isn't big in remote areas of Canada. :nin:
That's not a ninja, it's a hand/head chopper :P

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Darth Cynic wrote:My sincere apologies sir but when you think of Voyager and why you detest it - sorry Commander - then that grinning gobshite is soon to manifest in your mind's eye if your mental blocks aren't as secure as yours.

I swear to fuck I had completely forgotten about him. I watched the show when it aired and not since. As soon as you mentioned him it all came back and he was one of the main reasons I disliked the show.

I can also see now that maybe it's one of the reasons I subconsciously like Enterprise so much. You never see the fucking cook in that show. They have a cook, they mention the cook most episodes, but you never see him. Also Dr Plox is kinda like Neelix except he was fucking awesome.

VickyCaramel

Re: Fear of Terror

Post by VickyCaramel »

Aneris wrote:Just saw this, and it's RE: Steersman et al who claim public TV in Germany allegedly sweeps it all under the rug. Another counter-example: Fear of Terror on the Rise. Justified? (GERMAN)

She says, terror was worse but it used to be more regional (IRA in Ireland, ETA in Spain, RAF in Germany etc) and aimed at government or specific individuals. So what's different now? Quotation: "The Islamistic terror of today is targeted at the entire free western world and lifestyle, so are terror attacks always attacks against the whole west."
There is something I learned a long time ago about muslims, in regards to the Iranians and their support for Hezbollah and the Palestinians, which is that they act as if the future is predetermined. In the case of the Iranians, they "know" that at some point in the future, the Jews will be gone from Palestine and muslims will once again own the holy sites in the Levant... it is the will of Allah, so it is inevitable.
And so, they can hardly do any wrong. If they pick a strategy which is a complete disaster, they will delay the inevitable. They aren't stupid, they know if they provoke a nuclear strike against Tehran, this will be a major setback and could delay their victory by hundreds of years, so they won't do that. But as far as they are concerned they will still win eventually, they can't see it any other way. They just need to please their god by keeping up the struggle somehow, but being smart about it like Mohammed was (whom they believe was a great military leader) and not doing anything stupid.
(Next time you hear reports that Iran are threatening Israel, remember this. It is not a threat it is a prediction/prophecy. It should be taken as meaning, "We don't need to fight Israel, Allah has got this".)

I see no reason that Sunni Muslims that have been radicalized by ISIS propaganda would see things any differently. So yes, I do think that any attack is seen by them as an attack on the whole western infadel world.

Most of the research says they aren't actually doing it to get into heaven, they certainly aren't doing it for 72 virgins (as most don't actually believe that), so they must think they stand to gain something. I guess they are trying to provoke us into a war.... any kind of war. And I guess they believe they can't lose. Somehow, their god will turn the tide in their favour. They just have to please Allah by keeping up the struggle and he will come through for them.

This is a rather dangerous direction. If we go back 15 years to Al Qaeda, their strategy was based on the idea that the corrupt regimes of the middle east along with Israel could only survive with the backing of Western money and guns. They believed that if they could make our support for their enemies costly, that we would disengage. They also seemed to be labouring under the false assumption that as we are democratic countries, that each of us bare responsibility for the actions of our governments and that we had some influence over foreign policy. Even more wrongly they seemed to believe that if civilians were attacked we would demand our governments stop supporting dictators in the muslim world... in fact we did little of the sort and the majority called for revenge.

In the ten years that followed 9/11, we saw jihadists making videos stating why they were carrying out attacks, saying they hated our support for Israel, that they blamed us for the corrupt regimes, that they were acting in reprisal of civilian casualties, that they were teaching us a lesson, holding civilians responsible for the actions of our governments.
We aren't seeing these videos anymore. They have stopped sending us messages and seem to have stopped trying to communicate with us. They aren't making demands anymore, they are just killing us, and with greater frequency.

free thoughtpolice

fuzzy wrote:
comslave wrote:It appears only the bomber died. It's like they're not even trying anymore.
One wonders, in the hypothetical case that this was a muslim sinner with perhaps a premature explosion problem, whether he gets into heaven for his intentions even though no infidels were killed.
He still gets into heaven, only he gets 1 72 year old virgin. :bjarte:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
comslave wrote:It appears only the bomber died. It's like they're not even trying anymore.
One wonders, in the hypothetical case that this was a muslim sinner with perhaps a premature explosion problem, whether he gets into heaven for his intentions even though no infidels were killed.
He still gets into heaven, only he gets 1 72 year old virgin. :bjarte:

[youtube]D3l9IN287kY[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pitchguest wrote:
Obligatory.

[youtube]CBjKZaSvfGg[/youtube]
So what is he then? A martyr, or a fucking Jalfrezi?!

free thoughtpolice

Lsuoma wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Obligatory.

[youtube]CBjKZaSvfGg[/youtube]
So what is he then? A martyr, or a fucking Jalfrezi?!
One can only hope that the the dumbasses and mentally immature children that decide to go jihadi get to see that movie and documentation of how that movement is not only futile, but profoundly stupid.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

comhcinc wrote:
Darth Cynic wrote:My sincere apologies sir but when you think of Voyager and why you detest it - sorry Commander - then that grinning gobshite is soon to manifest in your mind's eye if your mental blocks aren't as secure as yours.

I swear to fuck I had completely forgotten about him. I watched the show when it aired and not since. As soon as you mentioned him it all came back and he was one of the main reasons I disliked the show.

I can also see now that maybe it's one of the reasons I subconsciously like Enterprise so much. You never see the fucking cook in that show. They have a cook, they mention the cook most episodes, but you never see him. Also Dr Plox is kinda like Neelix except he was fucking awesome.
Dr Phlox was like they saw how much they had fucked up with Neelix - after all they effectively wrote him out around season 4 or 5 - and now they had an opportunity for a do over and redemption, and in Phlox's case it worked.

As for the chirpy cook, well, I could probably have overlooked him as I did manage to erase Boxey from BSG (orig) and Crusher from TNG but it's the damn captain that does for Voyager. One moment it's the holy prime directive and next it's sure fuck it, I've got me a vendetta to pursue or a subordinate to school, she's diabolical.

Btw why are people talking about Islamic inspired terror, surely Star Trek is more important!?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

comhcinc wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
Gumby wrote:Everyone's talking about the new Ghostbusters, but don't worry there's plenty of movie suckage to go around. Just got back from Star Trek: Beyond. What a mess, and I say this as a person who can find something to like about anything Star Trek. Hyperactive action, CGI and noise are no substitutes for an actual plot. 6/10, if that.
I saw Star Trek Beyond in 3D, due to the timings. It was visually poor. I'm sure the 2D print would have been far superior. I've never taken to 3D, perhaps because I also wear glasses, and having TWO pairs of glasses to watch a darkened screen doesn't work for me.

BTW, the bit with the "bike" was daft.

3D actually makes me queasy. So I am with you about not caring about 3D. Honestly I am surprised it's still a thing.
I love the new 3D. I have two very different eyes, color, pupil size and structure so things like Magic 3D, old 3D and stuff never worked at all for me. But for some reason the new 3D technology is mesmerizing for me. Not enough to save the Hobbit movies for me, but I do love the visuals.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Darth Cynic wrote:Btw why are people talking about Islamic inspired terror, surely Star Trek is more important!?

I don't know. Muslims come to western countries, a small percent then try to kill a lot of people for Allah. When it happens most people pretend it's not an issue with Islam. Some people pretends is the west's fault. And Steersman demands we attack Iran with nukes.

How fucking shitty Neelix was is a much better conversation.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Clarence wrote: How you can doubt that policies that rely on "believing the victim", require no evidence, and lead to monetary payouts might lead to injustices and witchhunts is beyond me.
From what I have pieced together it goes something like this:
We all know that men are rapists and that many women are raped every day and that the men get away because of rape culture. So it is up to us women who get into power to put a stop to it because the Patriarchy will not.

The fact that crime statistics do not back us up about all the rape that all women everywhere, particularly in Western countries is because of rape culture and Patriarchy which prevents women from reporting rape.

Therefore, we must start prosecuting men for rape and dismantle all impediments that prevent us from charging men for rape and convicting them of rape and heavily punishing them for it.
So we get the "Dear College" letter that started the "ignore due process, do not get the police involved" kangaroo courts where the ability to defend yourself if you are male is dismantled because otherwise the man who is a rapist because he is a man would get away with it because Patriarchy.

Perhaps because of women in power and others too, people like Alison Saunders, the director of public prosecutions. 'Saunders is right to raise the alarm and to insist that the decline is addressed immediately.'

Because the fact that rape crimes are not being reported in enough numbers to satisfy an ideology means that more strenuous measures are needed to bring the statistics closer to what the ideology insists is the true reality..

It is this kind of thinking I believe that lead to Mark Pearson Tried for a sex crime... because I brushed past a film star in rush-hour: Artist, 51, accused of bizarre 'hit and run' assault on award-winning actress despite no evidence or witnesses - so why DID it come to trial?
If you ask me, all the Western countries are insane. Yes, I also include my adopted country of Canukistan and your's too Anaris. No need to mention the USA either. That is a given.

Nothing new to any of this. Just the scale. Feminism has it's own Inquisition going. You just have not noticed. Yet.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Shatterface wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Shatterface wrote: You know, they never actually put Hitler on trial?

There's a difference between skepticism and la la la can't hear you. Accusations against Savile were made as far back as the early Sixties. Why? Because people were hoping he'd get rich, some irrelevant shit would happen on US campuses, and fifty-plus years later his accusers would get a pension?
As far back as the early 60's?
Wow! You'd never have guessed that he had already been a DJ, sport person, and radio personality by then, would you?
And that just about anyone who comes into contact with large amounts of teens or kids over a long period of time gets rumors and accusations of this sort thrown about them.

No one ever substantiated any of those , now, did they?
It's interesting that you think accusation = guilt esp when accusation:
A. Is allowed for things that allegedly happened decades ago
B. No one has yet been punished for lying, even though some claimants won't get money because as Anna Racoon notes, their stories were found to be physically impossible
C. You get money if your accusation is not disproven. In short, its not up to you to prove anything, its up to his estate to disprove it.
D. Did I mention you get to make your accusations anonymously?

That you find any 'truth' in this kind of 'investigation' is on you.
I can't remember a single case of paedophilia that you haven't dismissed.
Then your memory is as bad as your purported 'skepticism'. I never discussed nor dismissed the charging or jailing of Jared the Subway Guy.
Nor did I get involved in the brouhaha over Dr. Carrier and any accusation that he tried to or would get with underage partners.

But you know what they say. When the law is on your side, pound the law. When the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When you have neither, pound the table. Which is what you are doing here.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Aneris wrote:
Keating wrote:I'll wait for Aneris to tell us that this is nothing, and IEDs go off all the time.
I have just learned about it, and German news report, citing the mayor Ms Seidel, that they assume an explosive caused it.
That's one.

We can assume that it was a device of some sort.

That's two.

All we need now is for it to be improvised.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote:

That mark on her face had me scratching at my screen. You sir are evil. :twisted:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Heina has emerged from the Carrier Zone to write a couple of posts trying to raise money for Afghan bombing orphans cats.

Meanwhile the dick remains sheathed but ready to pounce.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Must be pay-day calculation period because Lousy has also broken a month and a half of drought to put up another incomprehensible "mock the movie" missive. I have no idea what these weird streams of consciousness are.

Neither does his reader in residence. But it involves SZvan which is poly-warning enough.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Heina has emerged from the Carrier Zone to write a couple of posts trying to raise money for Afghan bombing orphans cats.

Meanwhile the dick remains sheathed but ready to pounce.

Hasn't that banana rapist TJ been raising money for womynz in the muslim world?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Misogynist money is misogynist.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I love it that his response is "umm er don't I look like one" spoken with a womanly deference.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:But it involves SZvan which is poly-warning enough.
No warning is enough.

http://imgur.com/rA0bfus.jpg

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Ape+lust wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:But it involves SZvan which is poly-warning enough.
No warning is enough.

http://imgur.com/rA0bfus.jpg
When did she steal MacGyvers' hair and what do you think she did with the rest of him?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ladies and gentleman, the extent of my photoshop skills.

http://i.imgur.com/DCThZfb.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:I'll wait for Aneris to tell us that this is nothing, and IEDs go off all the time.
When has Aneris defended acts of terrorism?

You people are getting nasty.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comslave wrote:
Islam needs quality control. You can't just take in everyone or you will just end up looking stupid.
And practice, practice, practice.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

feathers wrote:

Sometimes the abyss wins.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Both ways are funny: Wonder Woman coming from an island of rabid TERFs.

Or

Wonder Woman coming from No Men Here Nope island, (where half of them have dicks.)

Malky

Post by Malky »

Clarence wrote:
Shatterface wrote: You know, they never actually put Hitler on trial?

There's a difference between skepticism and la la la can't hear you. Accusations against Savile were made as far back as the early Sixties. Why? Because people were hoping he'd get rich, some irrelevant shit would happen on US campuses, and fifty-plus years later his accusers would get a pension?
As far back as the early 60's?
Wow! You'd never have guessed that he had already been a DJ, sport person, and radio personality by then, would you?
And that just about anyone who comes into contact with large amounts of teens or kids over a long period of time gets rumors and accusations of this sort thrown about them.

No one ever substantiated any of those , now, did they?
It's interesting that you think accusation = guilt esp when accusation:
A. Is allowed for things that allegedly happened decades ago
B. No one has yet been punished for lying, even though some claimants won't get money because as Anna Racoon notes, their stories were found to be physically impossible
C. You get money if your accusation is not disproven. In short, its not up to you to prove anything, its up to his estate to disprove it.
D. Did I mention you get to make your accusations anonymously?

That you find any 'truth' in this kind of 'investigation' is on you.
I actually agree with Clarence 's point but there is another important factor at play. In the 60's and most of the 70's young starry eyed teeners having a 1 night standard with their "idol" would not be seen as an issue and complainants were quite often brushed off by the Police. There was some truth in the fear that they wouldn't be listened to. I do think the pendulum has swung too far the other way but it would've been very difficult to raise a complaint then and stick to it.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Aneris wrote:
I have just learned about it, and German news report, citing the mayor Ms Seidel, that they assume an explosive caused it.
You need IED construction classes so that IED's can be made safely and reliably. And to disagree is to be a racist. To disagree is to be literally killing Muslims in Germany.

Stop the hatred against Muslims. Give them Muslim oriented job skills or continue to kill them.

Racist bastards.

Now I rage quit and head-desk or something and go to bed.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Aneris wrote:
You need IED construction classes so that IED's can be made safely and reliably. And to disagree is to be a racist. To disagree is to be literally killing Muslims in Germany.

Stop the hatred against Muslims. Give them Muslim oriented job skills or continue to kill them.

Racist bastards.

Now I rage quit and head-desk or something and go to bed.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

A rather... interesting development regarding the Nice attack:

The policewoman responsible for video surveillance the evening of the attack has stated in an interview that she had been pressured by the ministry of interior to provide one non-editable report and one editable report.

Bernard Cazeneuve (minister of interior) has announced he will sue the policewoman for defamation. The city of Nice has announced they stand behind the policewoman.

Also, the ministry has requested the video footage of the attack be erased (to avoid leaks on the internet, they say). The city of Nice has refused the request.

Looks like we're not faring any better than Germany...

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:A rather... interesting development regarding the Nice attack:

The policewoman responsible for video surveillance the evening of the attack has stated in an interview that she had been pressured by the ministry of interior to provide one non-editable report and one editable report.

Bernard Cazeneuve (minister of interior) has announced he will sue the policewoman for defamation. The city of Nice has announced they stand behind the policewoman.

Also, the ministry has requested the video footage of the attack be erased (to avoid leaks on the internet, they say). The city of Nice has refused the request.

Looks like we're not faring any better than Germany...
It's weird how governments all seem to be in damage control mode, contra the tide of social media and people armed with portable hires cameras. For each such blunder the extreme right gains more ground.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Malky wrote:I actually agree with Clarence 's point but there is another important factor at play. In the 60's and most of the 70's young starry eyed teeners having a 1 night standard with their "idol" would not be seen as an issue and complainants were quite often brushed off by the Police. There was some truth in the fear that they wouldn't be listened to. I do think the pendulum has swung too far the other way but it would've been very difficult to raise a complaint then and stick to it.
If have less contempt for Clarence if he hadn't pulled the 'I get it - you hate Pakis' dismissal of the Rotherham abuse.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Shatterface wrote:
Malky wrote:I actually agree with Clarence 's point but there is another important factor at play. In the 60's and most of the 70's young starry eyed teeners having a 1 night standard with their "idol" would not be seen as an issue and complainants were quite often brushed off by the Police. There was some truth in the fear that they wouldn't be listened to. I do think the pendulum has swung too far the other way but it would've been very difficult to raise a complaint then and stick to it.
If have less contempt for Clarence if he hadn't pulled the 'I get it - you hate Pakis' dismissal of the Rotherham abuse.
Yes that was not a clever stance - this area was also a difficult one to raise a complaint as tbe girls were white trash andthe Police were terrified of being called racist

Keating

Post by Keating »

feathers wrote:

I didn't suggest that. I'm merely a little surprised by Aneris' continuing naiveté. There are circumstances where a government funded news organisation would have reason to lie or spin a story. Being government funded is not protection from politics and building a narrative.

The BBC reported the incident with this title 'Syrian migrant dies in German blast', and the BBC is government funded. There have been instances where the Australian Broadcasting Commission has done the same; not out right lied, but certainly spun stories in the government's favour. It would require extraordinary evidence to convince me that similar efforts were not being done in the German media. I'm absolutely not saying that they're all dishonest, and everything reported is a lie, just that governments can and do lie to the public, and they will use any means at their disposal.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

feathers wrote:

Aneris is a terrorist? Well I never. :think:

And we hardly mentioned the war.

;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:
feathers wrote:

I didn't suggest that. I'm merely a little surprised by Aneris' continuing naiveté. There are circumstances where a government funded news organisation would have reason to lie or spin a story. Being government funded is not protection from politics and building a narrative.

The BBC reported the incident with this title 'Syrian migrant dies in German blast', and the BBC is government funded. There have been instances where the Australian Broadcasting Commission has done the same; not out right lied, but certainly spun stories in the government's favour. It would require extraordinary evidence to convince me that similar efforts were not being done in the German media. I'm absolutely not saying that they're all dishonest, and everything reported is a lie, just that governments can and do lie to the public, and they will use any means at their disposal.
I would love to see the Liberal Coalition get the ABC to lie for it. :lol: :lol:

The ABC is a pack of Chardonnay socialists. Sometimes the Govt aligns with this sad fact. Sometimes it doesn't.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Yes, but that seemed a complication above and beyond my point. :bjarte:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:I didn't suggest that. I'm merely a little surprised by Aneris' continuing naiveté. There are circumstances where a government funded news organisation would have reason to lie or spin a story. Being government funded is not protection from politics and building a narrative.
Aneris doesn't seem to be that naive, but there seems to be a strange new narrative in the making that the ZDF is a sort of Pravda, controlled by apparatsik Merkel. That is absurd; the European countries are rife with state-owned or -sponsored broadcasters which all have a (very) large degree of editorial freedom. They possibly have more elbow room than some of the tycoon-owned private media outlets. Aneris seems to be pointing out that there is no evidence that the ZDF is more manipulated than any other station.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Keating wrote: The BBC reported the incident with this title 'Syrian migrant dies in German blast', and the BBC is government funded. There have been instances where the Australian Broadcasting Commission has done the same; not out right lied, but certainly spun stories in the government's favour. It would require extraordinary evidence to convince me that similar efforts were not being done in the German media. I'm absolutely not saying that they're all dishonest, and everything reported is a lie, just that governments can and do lie to the public, and they will use any means at their disposal.
I believe that if you hold the view that newspapers have difficulty just reporting the facts, and that it steadily goes downhill from there, you can not go wrong.

Bottom line. If I read in the news that the sky is blue, I would be obligated to look up and check.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Cunt.

Twitter is so predictable these days.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

And can someone explain why, when it happens in Europe, thus chap is a 'bomb-carrying Syrian' who 'died'', but in the last massacre in Kabul that guy is a Suicide bomber who blew himself and hundreds of other up intentionally?
Sorry if this has already been discussed, my laptop hard drive just died and I am on my geriatric iPad so can't be arsed waiting for the five minutes it takes to load a page.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

insinct ? Is that the opposite of extinct?

Whatever racial divisions there are in NZ - you would be hard pressed to find any full-blooded Maori left.

Malky

Post by Malky »

HunnyBunny wrote: Cunt.

And why would the Moaris not also be introduced predators as well as whites?

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

MarcusAu wrote:insinct ? Is that the opposite of extinct?

Whatever racial divisions there are in NZ - you would be hard pressed to find any full-blooded Maori left.

his other tweets in that thread are incomprehensible, something about white British people. I'd link to one but the twat has blocked me :roll:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

feathers wrote:
Keating wrote:I didn't suggest that. I'm merely a little surprised by Aneris' continuing naiveté. There are circumstances where a government funded news organisation would have reason to lie or spin a story. Being government funded is not protection from politics and building a narrative.
Aneris doesn't seem to be that naive, but there seems to be a strange new narrative in the making that the ZDF is a sort of Pravda, controlled by apparatsik Merkel. That is absurd; the European countries are rife with state-owned or -sponsored broadcasters which all have a (very) large degree of editorial freedom. They possibly have more elbow room than some of the tycoon-owned private media outlets. Aneris seems to be pointing out that there is no evidence that the ZDF is more manipulated than any other station.
I even wrote that the ZDF is not totally free — if indeed any news are — but specifically stated that they have to be careful how they approach items and that they are public, not private. This means that their editorial direction is generally in line with centrist and mainstream views. They won't fundamentally undermine capitalism, laud the democratic take of China or focus on refugees behaving badly as Breitbart and Pegida and such people want.

Further, I posted a tweet of them that showed they indeed mention Islamic background when it was believed to be case. Thus it was demonstrably untrue that they categorically avoid it. I also posted a longform documentary about the problems with immigration, and e.g. dubious views on women in such cultures. I also explained that the immigration debate is years' old and for a while dominated the talk show landscape, on public TV, and explained that political parties ignored this subject each for their reasons (and not as right wingers want us to believe, because of the left). I also posted yet another video to an ARD produced short (the other main public station), where they openly say that islamic terrorism is aimed at the west and our western lifestyle. In sum, I wrote that the impression was wrong that it was categorically neglected — even if mistakes were made in individual cases.

Further, not I am naïve, but my detractors are. There is no such thing as unbiased or free journalism. At any given day there is far more news than anyone can cover. The question is: what is of public interest, and what should be reported and what ignored? Right wingers of course have an interest in special observation on the misdeeds of refugees or any burp the EU makes, and then scream “Lügenpresse” when the reporting falls short of that.

But here's the thing: if you go objectively, you'd report the sexual harassment on Oktoberfest, “the Season” (carneval) or indeed a routine weekend at the Reeperbahn, too, or you'd distorting the image by making it seem only one group was behaving badly. There's also the Chinese Robber Fallacy afoot, where any sufficiently large gathering will produce a variety of robbers, thiefs, rapists and the like, but where it is fallacious to treat this in isolation as a feature of a particular group.

If you went by all that, the news routinely “ignores” a lot of crimes. Now the standard right wing idiot doesn't consider this. They hear of some outrageous crime on their FB channels, a woman was assaulted, or refugees stole something and — OUTRAGE! — why isn't this in the daily news! And then half of that is even propaganda, repurposed footage and the likes.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Malky wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote: Cunt.

And why would the Moaris not also be introduced predators as well as whites
I'm sure the Moa would agree. But we must judge the Maori by their standards at the time. It's only white people who must be judged by currents standards for historical actions.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I was watching a reaction video for Wonder Woman and the host correctly identified the reason PZ's shorts burst - a Litle Mermaid homage.

She also floored me by mocking Steve (?) "oh my god my girlfriend is an SJW"

http://i.imgur.com/x5U0fsw.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

"Weird loner" Munich attacker had a friend who knew of the plans, but did nothing:
Munich authorities say a 16-year-old Afghan friend of the Munich attacker who killed nine people in a rampage before killing himself may have known of the attack in advance.
Police said Monday the 16-year-old was arrested late Sunday and investigators were able to retrieve a deleted chat between him and the attacker on the messaging app WhatsApp.
Police say that from the chat it appears that the 16-year-old met with the attacker at the scene of the rampage — a mall in Munich — before the attack. He also knew the attacker had a pistol.
Investigators say the two teenagers met last year as in-patients at a psychiatric ward. Both were being treated for online game addiction, among other things.
It's from the Daily Fail, though, so who knows. :bjarte:

Meanwhile, in Ansbach:
Herrmann said the attacker's backpack contained screws and nails, in an apparent bid to inflict widespread damage.
When someone sets off a backpack bomb filled with nails and other bits of metal at a crowded outdoor venue, even liberal East Coast Americans call it a terrorist attack.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Packing my bags, I'm off for a spot of hard labour apparently.