The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
katamari Damassi

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by katamari Damassi »

feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:Hollywood doesn't really give a shit about anything. In five years movies with killa niggas will be back, just like in the 70's. They'll probably be calling women "dames". Who knows.
I, for one, would welcome the initiative. Just as long as they don't try to reboot Shaft (again). Some things are sacred.
Leslie Jones as Shaft!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

To give Shives his due - the following video shows how his views have changed over time - and along with his penchant for blocking, goes some way to explaining his youtube decline:

[youtube]kH2Zz3M8E0U[/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ha - suck that as a top of the page post...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Service Dog wrote:But what about the Two-Spirit ones that SJWs wont shut up about?

"My name is We'wha. My pronouns are Wait?! and Whut!?"

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/queertra ... 1393264640
The worst part of being from a developed nation is you never get to experience the joy third-worlders do bullshitting anthropologists.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

katamari Damassi wrote: Leslie Jones as Shaft!
Shut yo' mouth!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

No thanks, love.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On a positive note (for once)...

Those interesting in comics - can download recordings taken of some of the panels of the latest ComicCon

There are some SJW style musings - but plenty of other stuff too - including Peter David, Howard Chaykin and the Comics Journal crew (which Service Dog at least much be familiar with)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/27/ ... e-eisners/

(I was going to mention The Rubin Report - but Dinesh D'Souza is probably too much for anyone).

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

feathers wrote: [youtube]euGigD_DXzA[/youtube]
It almost looks as if Townshend has crapped his pants in that video.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

When one religion is under attack, all religions are under attack, says Pope Francis:
Pope Francis has warned that a recent wave of jihadist attacks in Europe is proof that "the world is at war".

However, he stressed he did not mean a war of religions, but rather a conflict over "interests, money, resources".

He was speaking ahead of his visit to Poland to reporters seeking his comments on the murder of a Catholic priest by French jihadists on Tuesday.

Father Jacques Hamel was killed at a morning mass in his church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, northern France.

The killing was the latest of a spate of attacks carried out in France and Germany over the past few days and weeks, many of them attributed to Islamist militants.

"The word we hear a lot is insecurity, but the real word is war," the pontiff said.

"We must not be afraid to say the truth, the world is at war because it has lost peace.

"When I speak of war I speak of wars over interests, money, resources, not religion. All religions want peace, it's the others who want war," Pope Francis added.
"All religions want peace."
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cunt.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Lsuoma wrote:When one religion is under attack, all religions are under attack, says Pope Francis:
Pope Francis has warned that a recent wave of jihadist attacks in Europe is proof that "the world is at war".

However, he stressed he did not mean a war of religions, but rather a conflict over "interests, money, resources".

He was speaking ahead of his visit to Poland to reporters seeking his comments on the murder of a Catholic priest by French jihadists on Tuesday.

Father Jacques Hamel was killed at a morning mass in his church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, northern France.

The killing was the latest of a spate of attacks carried out in France and Germany over the past few days and weeks, many of them attributed to Islamist militants.

"The word we hear a lot is insecurity, but the real word is war," the pontiff said.

"We must not be afraid to say the truth, the world is at war because it has lost peace.

"When I speak of war I speak of wars over interests, money, resources, not religion. All religions want peace, it's the others who want war," Pope Francis added.

Cunt.
Let's be fair. Islam wants peace too, they just want the kind where the whole world is one big happy theocracy, a brutal caliphate dictatorship.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:When one religion is under attack, all religions are under attack, says Pope Francis:

Cunt.
So what resources did they kill the priest over? Communion wafers?

Malky

Post by Malky »

The Atlantic has a few interesting articles today:

Gender pay gap only 5.4c/$: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... on/492965/

Strikes me that it means there are some factors still to be adjusted for. Also why is just women's choices that matter here?

Moaning about women's studies or lack thereof: http://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... es/493064/ No moaning about lack of "mens studies" Not awareof any such dept thus writing off 50% of th epopulation as not worth studying

Unsurprising look at trickle down economics and why it doesn't work:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... om/493070/

Dave

Post by Dave »

Shatterface wrote:

Cunt.
Believers.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Islam wants peace.

A peace'o dis, a peace o'dat.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Islam wants "peace" in the sense of "unconditional surrender".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

"When I speak of war I speak of wars over interests, money, resources, not religion. All religions want peace, it's the others who want war,"
Ah, yeah, right.

Fuck you, Francis.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Shatterface wrote:

Cunt.
So says the leader of the Church Militant on Earth

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Malky wrote:The Atlantic has a few interesting articles today:

Gender pay gap only 5.4c/$: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... on/492965/

Strikes me that it means there are some factors still to be adjusted for. Also why is just women's choices that matter here?
Because to judge these things on a linear pass/fail dynamic, you need to only use one point of comparison, in this case, wages. The problem is that there's other points of comparison that to some individuals might be just as valid/important. For example, putting one's family and personal life before their job, or job satisfaction/quality of life over money. Things like that If you try to take those things into account, then the pay gap becomes kinda silly, or at least it's silly to criticize. It becomes a relatively meaningless statistic, that while it might give us an interesting snapshot of our society, it's no longer a point of contention.

katamari Damassi

Sulman wrote:No thanks, love.
He would be super turned on if he could show off his "girl cock" in a crowded airport.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I don't think we have any ex-Mormans here,
but I found this pretty funny:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... h-mormon-/

Remember when we had nothing to do but make fun of believers? Before the asshats tried to take over atheism with their idiotic nonsense? Those were the good old days.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

RonSwanson wrote:Won't someone please think of the children! The children!!

Any of you into slitting people's throats at that age? Maybe we shouldn't be indoctrinating children into Islam then?
How old was Aisha?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The Christian Church's bent over reaction is not a surprise.

In the UK, the former Archbishop of Canterbury suggesting Sharia was perfectly compatible with British values, blah blah blah.

Kinda makes you lust for the days when churchmen were bigoted against other religions, rather than promoting the madness of other cults.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:Won't someone please think of the children! The children!!

Any of you into slitting people's throats at that age? Maybe we shouldn't be indoctrinating children into Islam then?
How old was Aisha?
It's some consolation that the priest lived over sixty years more than the piece of shit who killed him.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

The earlier statements of the pope and his minions were about it being so bad because it took place on holy ground, as if it would have been better if it were a nightclub, fireworks show or some other sinful event that people were enjoying themselves at:
A statement released by Fr Federico Lombardi, Director of the Holy See Press Office said: “we are particularly shocked because this horrible violence took place in a Church, in which God’s love is announced, with the barbarous killing of a priest and the involvement of the faithful”.
The righteous are more important than others much like SJWs and their safe space is so special that it is capitalized, even though they're talking about a generic church.
Similarly, according to spell check, muslim gets underlined if it isn't capitalized, but atheist is underlined if it is capitalized.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Peez's self-pitying moment still boggles me.

http://imgur.com/AGHpFjd.jpg

Reference, if you need it. The thread, for context.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote:Peez's self-pitying moment still boggles me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks he doth protest too much.

The blue-haired Raggedy Becky is genius. :clap:

free thoughtpolice

Speaking of Pope Francis, It's amazing the stuff the MSM doesn't tell you about. :drool:
http://whale.to/c/eyewitnesses_testify.html

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Shatterface wrote:Islam wants peace.

A peace'o dis, a peace o'dat.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks he doth protest too much.

The blue-haired Raggedy Becky is genius. :clap:
Thank you, BarnOwl :D

If he keeps on mewling, people might notice he looks like every baby on the planet. Just hang his hair and glasses on any baby, and you still get Peez :think:

free thoughtpolice

[youtube]qCj6YNIpqmA[/youtube]

Pitch: you mean this one?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote: Thank you, BarnOwl :D

If he keeps on mewling, people might notice he looks like every baby on the planet. Just hang his hair and glasses on any baby, and you still get Peez :think:
It's almost cute, in a weird sort of way ... pouty baby PZ and his dolly. :mrgreen:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Service Dog wrote:But what about the Two-Spirit ones that SJWs wont shut up about?

"My name is We'wha. My pronouns are Wait?! and Whut!?"

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/queertra ... 1393264640
Which begs the question, why do SJWs always default to English pronouns as the assumed preferred options. If someone speaks a different language, wouldn't their preferred pronouns be of their own language?

Germans, French, Iranians, Saudis, Sudanis, Japanese, Asian, Hispanic... why are the SJWs always trying to push their imperialistic culture on everyone else?...

I bet we could make that fly across the Feminist/SJW sphere. All we have to do is to start shaming people over the issue.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

"Why English? English is not everyone's preferred language."

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I like my movies to be entertaining, not some stupid as fuck propaganda. Thank you very much.

I don't mind a little propaganda as long as the movie is good.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Sergeant York

[youtube]p1vYUn2PRas[/youtube]

Great movie but there is no question the movie is trying to convince me to love Jesus, join the army, and kill Germans.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:Hollywood doesn't really give a shit about anything. In five years movies with killa niggas will be back, just like in the 70's. They'll probably be calling women "dames". Who knows.
I, for one, would welcome the initiative. Just as long as they don't try to reboot Shaft (again). Some things are sacred.
Leslie Jones as Shaft!
Leslie Jones is real life Madea.
http://content.internetvideoarchive.com ... 69118_.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:

Cunt.

Paederast pants.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sweet. The best part is the white board on the wall.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

Cunt.
Many do, now what might be required while on the path to peace... well, that's open to interpretation.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Just off the top of my head, pretty sure the Aztec religion was very pro war. Are we not suppose to talk about them because the Catholics wiped most of them out?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

If all religions want peace why are there so many gods of war?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:Just off the top of my head, pretty sure the Aztec religion was very pro war. Are we not suppose to talk about them because the Catholics wiped most of them out?

:nin:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Valhalla must be full of disappointed Vikings.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

For Christians, the end times, and thus the return of the kingdom of heaven, can't start until there is a nice big war.

Christians want at least that war.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc wrote:For Christians, the end times, and thus the return of the kingdom of heaven, can't start until there is a nice big war.

Christians want at least that war.

In fact, correct if I am wrong, but I believe it's the Catholics that believe that there is no one in heaven yet and that doesn't happen until the end times.

Bullshit Catholics don't want war.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

comhcinc wrote:In fact, correct if I am wrong, but I believe it's the Catholics that believe that there is no one in heaven yet and that doesn't happen until the end times.
I don't claim to be definitive on this as it has been a while and religious education really doesn't cover all that much, however, if I'm recalling right the saints are currently in heaven - a state of mind as well as place - as is Mary and perhaps also all those infants who died very young but had been baptised prior to their passing.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

The Vatican puts it thusly.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So saints, Mary, and dead babies are in heaven but no one else right?

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

comhcinc wrote:So saints, Mary, and dead babies are in heaven but no one else right?
Baptised dead babies, but yes, apart from that select group who reside / know heaven, everyone else who died waits in Purgatory until the day of judgement or until declared a saint.*

To the best of my knowledge.

* - I'm not quite sure as to whether the saint has to be found to be thus by us mortals before getting a pass out of Purgatory or whether god already knows this, has ushered them into heaven the moment they died and we're just playing catch-up on the approved list.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Hunt wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Okay. One of my periodic appeals for advice.

As I've mentioned before, I've had problems with disturbing my neighbours practising my guitar. (Their landlord actually approached me a while later - I think reading between the lines he was looking for an excuse to kick them out - and told me the council had been out and taken readings after their second complaint and found nothing to be concerned about.)

But those particular neighbours won't be a problem for much longer. I've had an offer accepted on another house. It's a bit bigger and in a nicer area, but it's still a terrace so I'll still need to be careful about keeping the noise down.

Anybody know anything about soundproofing? Everything I find online is either about keeping external noise out of a recording studio, or building the kind of facility an entire band could practice in, neither of which is what I'm after. just want a bit of noise dampening to spare the neighbours. Would a bookcase full of books along the party wall have any useful effect, or perhaps with a bit of acoustic foam behind it?
The only thing I know about soundproofing is to staple a bunch of old egg cartons to your wall.

Buck, buck, buggaaaaaa!
Yep, that's the cheapest and easiest solution. Acoustic foam is expensive.
Check out Ebay. Some reasonable options there.

free thoughtpolice

comhcinc wrote:Just off the top of my head, pretty sure the Aztec religion was very pro war. Are we not suppose to talk about them because the Catholics wiped most of them out?
They had prophecies that told them they conquered by an aggressive white god. they despaired and turned unimaginable cruelty with thousands of human sacrifices.
Even before white men came to the Americas, through prophecy of their evil eminent invasion, the peaceful inhabitants turned from an idyllic lifestyle of sustainable vegan cooperative lifestyle to what the fuck the imperialist/capitalist white people are coming so we may as well behave like savages.
PZ is right. White people are the root of all evil. :bow-yellow:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

As I've mentioned before, I've had problems with disturbing my neighbours practising my guitar. (Their landlord actually approached me a while later - I think reading between the lines he was looking for an excuse to kick them out - and told me the council had been out and taken readings after their second complaint and found nothing to be concerned about.)

But those particular neighbours won't be a problem for much longer. I've had an offer accepted on another house. It's a bit bigger and in a nicer area, but it's still a terrace so I'll still need to be careful about keeping the noise down.

Anybody know anything about soundproofing? Everything I find online is either about keeping external noise out of a recording studio, or building the kind of facility an entire band could practice in, neither of which is what I'm after. just want a bit of noise dampening to spare the neighbours. Would a bookcase full of books along the party wall have any useful effect, or perhaps with a bit of acoustic foam behind it?
What about an amp with a headphone jack that cuts out the speaker when you plug headphones into it? You could easily retro an amp with a headphone jack. I put one in a cheap electronic piano I had bought for a girlfriend's daughter so my then girlfriend didn't have to listen to it all day. Or just practise headphones with a battery powered amp built into it. They have wireless versions out now.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ape+lust wrote: If he keeps on mewling, people might notice he looks like every baby on the planet. Just hang his hair and glasses on any baby, and you still get Peez :think:
His face has the same quality as Orson Wells's, bulbous forehead and cute little nose, like babies (by the way, Wells supposedly disliked his nose). No matter how mature their faces become, they retain that neotenous quality.

katamari Damassi

I need something to read. Any book recommendations?

Guest_79e2e8e7

Post by Guest_79e2e8e7 »

surf's up

Malky

Post by Malky »

katamari Damassi wrote:I need something to read. Any book recommendations?

Any particular genre?

katamari Damassi

Malky wrote:

Any particular genre?
Nope. Fiction or nonfiction.

Malky

Post by Malky »

:burn:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Malky wrote:

Any particular genre?
I am eeading Sean Carroll's The Big Picture at the moment and find it a good read.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

How's work going Com?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Malky wrote:

Any particular genre?
America Aflame: How the Civil War Created a Nation. I am rereading it. We can compare what we think.
https://www.amazon.com/America-Aflame-C ... ame#navbar

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Not from what I found, but then I put semi-acoustic tiles (I think cork ceiling tiles, all I could afford) and built bookcases ties into the wall behind it. Didn't really work - it does channel sound. I've heard having room behind might work a bit. Plus there is some kind of fill that can be used as insulation and a sound barrier, but I have no idea what it is called anymore. But I'm also not a musician with experience, so take it all with a grain of salt.