The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
windy

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote: Where the fuck did all these Pygmy experts come from?

My 2c is that the little nuggets need to adapt to the first world and deliver quantifiable value.
Pygmy populations have short life cycles as an adaptation for life in the rainforest (it doesn't seem to be only due to poor nutrition or living conditions). It might be hard to adapt to the modern knowledge-based economy when you're likely to be dead and/or a grandparent by graduation time.

https://notexactlyrocketscience.wordpre ... ies-small/
Pygmies around the world are short in life expectancy as well as height, with the average adult dying at 16-24 years of age. Only 30-50% of children survive to the age of 15 and less than a third of women live to see menopause at 37. Taller African groups like the Ache or Turkana have lower adult mortality and twice the average lifespan, and compared to them, the pygmies’ pattern is closer to that of chimps.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

paddybrown wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Around here if you asked a room full of guitar players if anybody had a "plectum" all you would get would be blank stares.
Yes, but you chaps in the colonies also refer to a guitar's vibrato bridge as a "whammy bar", which indicates you're barbarians.
Says the guy from Norn Iron. :twatson:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The current plight of Benson is a good example of how those who subscribe up to the cult, who are involved in the witch hunts and purges, but then find themselves othered, often come out far worse than those who opposed the SJWs, or simply didn't engage them.

I'm desperate to know if she is amused about Dicky Carrier's current predicament. Then again, I don't know if she is capable of being amused.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:There are some kinds of community development that are growing and spreading, that enable communities to benefit from the science, technology and resources of the world's most privileged societies, and from their own natural, human and cultural resources, at the same time, in ways that actually serve their own best interests, and help them better cope with the plundering and pillaging. One way I see for anyone who wants to, to help with that, is by encouraging and supporting the efforts of people who are helping with those kinds of development.
The region is a clusterfuck of warring militias and displaced peoples with the pygmies being the favourite whipping boys. A very complicated situation not amenable to simplistic explanations like plundering by global monopolies. Not to say that resources are not being plundered, but you may find that the plundering is being done by more local players (looking at you Genocide Bob Mugabe).
Exactly. Most of the actual plundering is done by locals, and really, by everyone who is trying to get ahead in the games, selling their capacities to the highest bidders.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Brive1987 wrote: I have been fretting over this for some hours now.
Did you use a plectrum?

:cdc:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:I suspect this web diagnosis tool is not very scientific. The difference between 'somewhat' and 'very' is arbitrary and likely to vary between individuals. Many of the questions could have been put more simply as "are you an aspie".
I suspect the result may vary quite a bit depending on the mood you're in while replying.

Anyway I got 16/50.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I suspect this web diagnosis tool is not very scientific. The difference between 'somewhat' and 'very' is arbitrary and likely to vary between individuals. Many of the questions could have been put more simply as "are you an aspie".
I suspect the result may vary quite a bit depending on the mood you're in while replying.

Anyway I got 16/50.
True. I got distracted and didn't finish the test. I have ADD.

I like pie.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

windy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Where the fuck did all these Pygmy experts come from?

My 2c is that the little nuggets need to adapt to the first world and deliver quantifiable value.
Pygmy populations have short life cycles as an adaptation for life in the rainforest (it doesn't seem to be only due to poor nutrition or living conditions). It might be hard to adapt to the modern knowledge-based economy when you're likely to be dead and/or a grandparent by graduation time.

https://notexactlyrocketscience.wordpre ... ies-small/
Pygmies around the world are short in life expectancy as well as height, with the average adult dying at 16-24 years of age. Only 30-50% of children survive to the age of 15 and less than a third of women live to see menopause at 37. Taller African groups like the Ache or Turkana have lower adult mortality and twice the average lifespan, and compared to them, the pygmies’ pattern is closer to that of chimps.

the pygmies’ pattern is closer to that of chimps.
https://media3.giphy.com/media/WgFOEhAcSpCjS/200_s.gif

Way to set race relations back 500 years!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think I have the Pit high-score on the autism test but that's only because Steers is still arguing with it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:I think I have the Pit high-score on the autism test but that's only because Steers is still arguing with it.

If you think that simple 50 question test is able to give an accurate score for autism then you are retarded.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/64804654.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Not really knocking anyone as much as I really wanted to use that pic.

Off to the beach!

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tribble wrote:People always think accountants aren't social. But if you're going to be an accountant, you have to be social since communication, not the tedium of bean counting, is the most important focus of your job. All the bean-counting in the world will do you no good if you can't communicate it quickly and effectively, which includes all the social niceties.
"So, sir, your balance. What? Yes, indeed, that's five-hundred thousand and thirty dollars. What? Yes, a nice result indeed- but, sir, do you see the red print just beside? Oh you're colourblind, do so excuse me, but you can still read the text I hope? Exactly, "debit" it says. If I want a coffee? Oh yes, please, but maybe we could ask your secretary to mix something stronger in it. It may make our continued conversation more... amenable."

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

My autism score is only 7 out of 50. I have no excuses for my obsessive love for details or for my overly long posts. I'm not as Aspie, just a nerd.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Is scienceblogs.com trying very hard to die? Their front page showing the latest updates has the latest three posts dated 11th, 9th and 8th July:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 12.06.37 PM.png
(219.3 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
All three posts are short, and none of them are on topics that might be described as science. But there are more recent posts available. The odious Gorski last drivelled on July 29th for example. Why would Pepsi Co be determined to kill traffic by devoting their front page to #BlackLivesMatter and then not updating it for three weeks? Perhaps Abbie should get out before the ship sinks.

BTW, 39/50 is no surprise to me. Father and grandfather were engineers and a full-blown high functioning autistic son.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:The current plight of Benson is a good example of how those who subscribe up to the cult, who are involved in the witch hunts and purges, but then find themselves othered, often come out far worse than those who opposed the SJWs, or simply didn't engage them.

I'm desperate to know if she is amused about Dicky Carrier's current predicament. Then again, I don't know if she is capable of being amused.
I wonder when pz myers day will come. As Richard Carrier noted, the cliques loathed him, but kept it to themselves. Richard's antics were beyond pale, and made the whole Atheism Plus/Feminist movement look bad. Plus he is a old <fucking> white male. pz myers is pretty much in the same boat. He makes them all look bad. I suspect that it is unlikely that pz myers will get into sexual trouble... well at least the kind that actually involves fucking another woman.

So when will it finally happen, and what will be the instigating cause?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

screwtape wrote:Why would Pepsi Co be determined to kill traffic...
Or National Geographic, come to that. I would have expected them to be starting new blogs about Jesus left, right and centre.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

deLurch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:The current plight of Benson is a good example of how those who subscribe up to the cult, who are involved in the witch hunts and purges, but then find themselves othered, often come out far worse than those who opposed the SJWs, or simply didn't engage them.

I wonder when pz myers day will come.
Robespierre. July 28, 1794. The guillotine.

;)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Service Dog wrote:Carrier views life in prison as the ultimate win. 3 hot meals a day, a cot, and-- if he wins the SuperMax Solitary jackpot-- no job!
I say to him, better a blowjob than no job.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:Not really knocking anyone as much as I really wanted to use that pic.

Off to the beach!
[youtube]rJhq46ZpVbM[/youtube]

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

I'm just happy we're going to stroke a Dick a little more. Last few weeks filled me with doom and gloom, but Ideologues Eating Ideologues Because Purity is my favorite drama.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

feathers wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Not really knocking anyone as much as I really wanted to use that pic.

Off to the beach!
[youtube]rJhq46ZpVbM[/youtube]
Damn feathers, now I'm going to listen to Cliff for the rest of the day.

[youtube]rkTy3TyVsvM[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote: My 2c is that the little nuggets need to adapt to the first world and deliver quantifiable value.

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/5/b/e/0/4 ... 2bccc3.gif
They're midgets. They have a wrestling coach. What part of money dont they understand?

Heck, they're trying to save the rainforest. What part of Disney Money dont they understand?

feathers

Post by feathers »

sp0tlight wrote:
feathers wrote:

Off to the beach!
[.youtube]rJhq46ZpVbM[/youtube]
Damn feathers, now I'm going to listen to Cliff for the rest of the day.

[.youtube]rkTy3TyVsvM[/youtube]
[youtube]gGOU0o9K89g[/youtube]

Malky

Post by Malky »

Easy J wrote:Goddamn, only the Commander bombed it worse than I did? What am I, fucking Nec over here? The Pit's WW2 tank knowledge alone makes me suspect that there are several mid-40 scores lurking about.
I came close with a 38 but my score has been vastly improved by my wife although I still get lectures on how I mustn't say things like that and how it wasn't a question that they wanted an aswer or a whole lecture on the details. Without my Mrs I would avoid social situations like the plague.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

5/50 on the autism test.... In this crowd I feel like I failed.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Spike13 wrote:5/50 on the autism test.... In this crowd I feel like I failed.
I got about 3 questions in and lost interest. I wonder what that means?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

For no very good reason.
Jack and Jill.jpg
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

31/50. Not unexpected, given lifelong neural hobbies of rearranging words and phrases into pleasingly symmetrical consonant/vowel patterns, and adding up phone numbers to see if the sum is divisible by 3.

Columbo: the best! I have the complete series on DVD, so I can watch it while cooking/crafting/canning. As well as the fun of watching best-laid plans unravel, it's the joy of seeing smug arrogant elitist bastards brought low by a hobbit in a grubby raincoat. It's the revenge of the 99%.

Carrier: it's entertaining watching an epiphany in progress. :popcorn:

feathers

Post by feathers »

BTW that On the Beach clip was from Wonderful Life (1964, with Susan Hampshire) which in the US went under the title (here it comes...) Swingers' Paradise.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

feathers wrote:
[youtube]gGOU0o9K89g[/youtube]
Ha ha, never seen that one before.

https://theundisciplined.files.wordpres ... -heads.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

RebeccaB wrote:
Carrier: it's entertaining watching an epiphany in progress.
This is what The Pit needed: a bit of high class tart who can turn a phrase like this. Well done, my good lady.

Now, run along and fix some sandwiches for the boys, misogyny is an exhausting business.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Watched TIM'S VERMEER last nite -- produced & directed by Penn & Teller, follows an inventor who reverse engineers a Vermeer painting to show how it could have literally been done with mirrors. Fascinating.
I heard that it quotes Martin Mull (!) as an expert:

[youtube]mleEpj8soMw[/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

sp0tlight wrote:
feathers wrote:
[.youtube]gGOU0o9K89g[/youtube]
Ha ha, never seen that one before.
In NL, it simply wouldn't disappear from the charts- in my remembrance at least. And I didn't even like The Young Ones.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Hey, Dicky mastered Quantum Mechanics without any formal training; he can become a better lawyer than any lawyer evah just by being his awesome Amazing Brain self!
I bet the mind of Dr. Richard Carrier Ph.D. will produce arguments as crazy as those used by sovereign citizens/ freemen on the land. Not that he will use the same ones, of course, but they will be just as "inventive."
He isn't going after Amy Grant, who accused him of sexual harassment, but is going after what pass for his employers, Skepticon and FtB, for 'firing' him based on her & other accusations. :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
deLurch wrote:

I wonder when pz myers day will come.
Robespierre. July 28, 1794 10 Thermidor, l'an II. The guillotine.

;)
FTFY.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Who needs a drum machine when you've got a few dog bowls, a symbol, some buckets and bongos:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Watched TIM'S VERMEER last nite -- produced & directed by Penn & Teller, follows an inventor who reverse engineers a Vermeer painting to show how it could have literally been done with mirrors. Fascinating.
I heard that it quotes Martin Mull (!) as an expert:

[youtube]mleEpj8soMw[/youtube]
Tongue-in-cheek. Mull is a friend of theirs and an hobbyist painter.

windy

Post by windy »

sp0tlight wrote: Windy, do you have a picture from your avatar in a better quality?
I see I've been ninjaed on the avatar already, but as a bonus, here's a Swedish off duty cop making an arrest.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpspro ... 559092.jpg

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Saw that one, hawth. :twisted:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jimmyfromchicago wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Hey, Dicky mastered Quantum Mechanics without any formal training; he can become a better lawyer than any lawyer evah just by being his awesome Amazing Brain self!
I bet the mind of Dr. Richard Carrier Ph.D. will produce arguments as crazy as those used by sovereign citizens/ freemen on the land. Not that he will use the same ones, of course, but they will be just as "inventive."
He isn't going after Amy Grant, who accused him of sexual harassment, but is going after what pass for his employers, Skepticon and FtB, for 'firing' him based on her & other accusations. :think:
Apparently Dick Carrier is going after Amy Frank, the former President of Arizona SSA.

:popcorn:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:Carrier views life in prison as the ultimate win. 3 hot meals a day, a cot, and-- if he wins the SuperMax Solitary jackpot-- no job!
No orgies, though, unless he widens his 0.5 score on the Kinsey Scale.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dicky's Milwaukee 'girlfriend' keeps promoting him on FB:
carrier_pobability.png
(334.23 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

And he has a lawyer. Can someone find out if Cambell Perry LLC is anything more than a cheap ambulance chaser?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The "anonymous" (read: sock) letters supporting Dicky read like a parody of old Penthouse Forum letters:

http://www.mythicistmilwaukee.com/mythi ... rd-carrier

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

sp0tlight wrote:
Saw that one, hawth. :twisted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/n20h0m.png

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lawyer's letter sent to Amy Frank here:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote: Apparently Dick Carrier is going after Amy Frank, the former President of Arizona SSA.

Holy shit:
“During the course of the night, Dr. Carrier brought up having sexual relations with my husband and I. He told me that he was disappointed that my husband wouldn't let me just have sex with him, but that'd he'd be willing to have my husband involved. My husband quickly fell asleep after arriving [at a friend’s] house. Dr. Carrier kept whispering to me how my husband wasn't awake and wouldn't be for a while (insinuating that he wouldn't know if we did something inappropriate)...He repeatedly pointed out the fact that'd he had a vasectomy and how it much it increased his sexual performance.

“Dr. Carrier made me feel very uncomfortable. He is very charming so he did not scare me at first, but he got increasingly creepy throughout the night. He is very obsessed with his sex life and has no problem sharing it with students, and trying to involve them in it. I would never feel okay going to another speaking event of his, or being in a private setting with him again. I think it would be unfair to his future female audiences to not say something about his actions. If something happened, I would feel partially at fault for not reporting his behavior.”

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

So, Ghostbusters (2016) brought ~130 mil on ~240 mil (production & marketing) budget. Turns out being a cunt to fanbase and pandering don't sell tickets.

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

HunnyBunny wrote:And he has a lawyer. Can someone find out if Cambell Perry LLC is anything more than a cheap ambulance chaser?
And how's he paying for a suit against her? It's not like a lawyer's likely to take this on a contingent-fee basis. She's a college student. What are you going to do, levy her MacBook and birth control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I think it would be unfair to his future female audiences to not say something about his actions. If something happened, I would feel partially at fault for not reporting his behavior.”
The SJWs aren't going to like that one bit. They prefer whisper campaigns and other forms of silent character assassination. All in the name of "protecting the victim", of course. You'd think they'd care about *all* women, not just their drinkin' buddies. Ha.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote:And he has a lawyer. Can someone find out if Cambell Perry LLC is anything more than a cheap ambulance chaser?
FYI: Messrs. Campbell & Perry graduated from:
http://law-schools.startclass.com/l/117 ... Law-School

Amy Adams still has to get herself a lawyer to respond to the C&D. In legalese, her lawyer will tell Carrier's lawyer that Carrier can go stuff himself, and that'll be the end of it -- unless Dicky is foolish enough to sue.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
He probably thinks the Kinsey Scale goes from 0 to 1.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Solved!
Amy Frank wrote:“During the course of the night, Dr. Carrier brought up having sexual relations with my husband and I. He told me that he was disappointed that my husband wouldn't let me just have sex with him, but that'd he'd be willing to have my husband involved. My husband quickly fell asleep after arriving [at a friend’s] house. Dr. Carrier kept whispering to me how my husband wasn't awake and wouldn't be for a while (insinuating that he wouldn't know if we did something inappropriate)...He repeatedly pointed out the fact that'd he had a vasectomy and how it much it increased his sexual performance.

“Dr. Carrier made me feel very uncomfortable. He is very charming so he did not scare me at first, but he got increasingly creepy throughout the night. He is very obsessed with his sex life and has no problem sharing it with students, and trying to involve them in it. I would never feel okay going to another speaking event of his, or being in a private setting with him again. I think it would be unfair to his future female audiences to not say something about his actions. If something happened, I would feel partially at fault for not reporting his behavior.”

Archive: https://archive.is/JeKte

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

deLurch wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I speak from experience when I tell you that being sued by an amateur, or rather an amateur who has found a low ranking member of the bar who is willing to pass through filings for them into the for a few c notes, can be more expensive to fight than a real lawyer, because the judge will often indulge the mistakes and let them try again.
Richard does not have to have a lawyer as a pass through conduit in the US. He can completely represent himself.

And as far as judges indulging him, he lives in Ohio now. The judge will warn him about self representing, and from there on he wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise. The judge will be more concerned about making a misstep in front of a real lawyer. I've seen tenants get eaten alive in a housing court because they couldn't say a word without getting challenged and supported by the judge.

If you are going to play the game, you had better know the rules. ALL of the rules.
Given the rather low potential for damages ( none of the players have a reputation or income worth shit) the whole thing should probably played out in small claims court.
If only this could go in front of Judge Judy. :pray:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dicky's lawyers - $200 for initial face to face consultation. http://www.campbellperrylaw.com/faq/

I suppose it's remotely possible that Dicky could have scraped together enough to get the lawyers to send out the C&Ds, in the hope that they might scare those involved into retracting. If they don't, and a suit is on the cards, then there's no way Dicky can afford it. The bloke does not have a pot to piss in.

Unless he has someone(s) backing him. It'll be curious to see if he does take it further, because you'll know for sure that someone else will be putting up the money. As to who that someone might be - well, if anyone who works at a certain US nonprofit happens to be lurking, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on the company accounts. Just in case. You never know.

some guy

Post by some guy »

Someone earlier asked if Carrier ever weighed in on the Radford/Stollznow case. He did:

https://archive.is/96lBB

His "epistemology" is right in line with the standard SJW approach to things. In particular, note his update, made post-final settlement, where he endorses the summary by someone, which also gave the standard SJW "epistemology" on things (which is that her allegations were never retracted)

(h/t to someone on that Reddit thread that Suet Cardigan linked to)

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jimmyfromchicago wrote:
Apparently Dick Carrier is going after Amy Frank, the former President of Arizona SSA.

http://orig15.deviantart.net/49c8/f/201 ... 69lo2o.gif

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD is a skin-crawlingly skeevy creep. I mean yeah, we've kinda known that for years, but fucking hell now that the facts are coming in, it really hammers home just how slimy and scuzzy he really is. Blecch. It's amazing - Richard Carrier is exactly the kind of slimy dudebro that the fembots/SJWs have been railing against for years... so what do they do? Ignore the actual problem because "well at least he's on our side" or some such shit, and instead make up shit about other men. It doesn't exactly speak volumes about their credibility when the poster child for all they rail against is right in their midst and they do nothing. Cunts.