The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Malky

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Malky »

deLurch wrote:
rayshul wrote:I can't see videos anymore, it seems. Unsure why.
Same here. I thought people were joking around with black monolith images.

* Fresh clean install of Windows 10, 64-bit.
* 64-bit Chrome was recently crashing on me for some unkown reason, so I switched to 32-bit chrome.
* Avira antivirus

I can see all 3 videos here:
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html
So can I but I still have problems with embedded videos. It seems on googling the issue that this is a perennial problem. I have tried most of the suggested solution without success. This is beginning to annoy me as this was perfectly ok 3 days ago and I haven't changed anything.

John D

Post by John D »

This podcast by Sam Harris is fantastic! Please listen (sorry... it is two hours long)

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/ ... in-america

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. We can conclude at this point that Windows 10 is not the problem.

It is Chrome (for computers {Windows & Linux}, not android) & Microsoft Edge that are at the root of the problem.

I tested turning off hardware acceleration in chrome without success.

Could be an html5/flash/java/javascript issue. We will have to dig down.

Does anyone have embedded videos showing on their Windows/Linux distribution in Google Chrome? If so, what version of Google Chrome are you using?

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

deLurch wrote:OK. We can conclude at this point that Windows 10 is not the problem.

It is Chrome (for computers {Windows & Linux}, not android) & Microsoft Edge that are at the root of the problem.

Does anyone have embedded videos showing on their Windows/Linux distribution in Google Chrome? If so, what version of Google Chrome are you using?
Internet Explorer 8.0, on Windoze 7 Pro (original OEM, *no upgrades*) here, videos turned to monolith a few days ago.
Embedded Youtube videos still working fine at Why Evolution is True site.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

gurugeorge wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: http://cdn1.the-orbit.net/godlessness/w ... ernate.jpg
What the fuck is inside that hexagon? A sea otter under a sun lamp? A fetus and a placenta?
When I was a small child, I used to think the Superman symbol was a bunch of different types of fishes.
When I was a child, I drew like a child. When I became a man, I went to fucking art school.

[/1 Corinthians]

lil' Alex is a talentless hack who learned how to play with an app.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

deLurch wrote:OK. We can conclude at this point that Windows 10 is not the problem.

Nope. Not me. nope nope nope.

BTW: Linux Mint/Chrome : I have the same issue as everyone else Firefox (same platform) no issue. Can not be arsed to boot up Windoze 10 to check.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. Testing embedded youtube videos on other places on the web, it appears that this one works for me. And I will bet that it works for nearly everyone else who wasn't having issues before.
https://kiwifar.ms/threads/daddy-derek- ... st-1668392

I am going to run out and get some exercise & do a few errands. But when I get back, I think the next step forward is to review the code generated here on the slymepit & compare that to the code generated on that kiwi farms thread and assess the differences.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

As extra credit, can anyone find an example of a phpBB forum with an embedded youtube video to see if the issue is across the board with phpBB and link that here?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

That Becky Watson video was fucking terrible. It took a while to realize that it was an attempt at humor. :doh:

There was this message left at the top of the comments:
UAT Digital Video1 week ago
+Lorcan Nagle Anyone who starts talking trash about Ms. Watson will feel the wrath of my banhammer.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:OK. Testing embedded youtube videos on other places on the web, it appears that this one works for me. And I will bet that it works for nearly everyone else who wasn't having issues before.
https://kiwifar.ms/threads/daddy-derek- ... st-1668392

I am going to run out and get some exercise & do a few errands. But when I get back, I think the next step forward is to review the code generated here on the slymepit & compare that to the code generated on that kiwi farms thread and assess the differences.

I looked into this the other day and it's an issue with flash. For example the page you linked to the video is using HTML5. Here all videos are played via flash.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote:I looked into this the other day and it's an issue with flash. For example the page you linked to the video is using HTML5. Here all videos are played via flash.
Did you identify a solution beyond running firefox?

I just installed the flash player plugin and ensured it was enabled. Perhaps flash sees the embeded videos here as unsecure.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I looked into this the other day and it's an issue with flash. For example the page you linked to the video is using HTML5. Here all videos are played via flash.
Did you identify a solution beyond running firefox?

I just installed the flash player plugin and ensured it was enabled. Perhaps flash sees the embeded videos here as unsecure.

No because it's an issue with this website. It's the only place I have seen having the problem. I of course can't get into the code of the pit.

My solution to those who can would look of an updated way anyhow because Chrome is killing flash next month and I am sure others will soon follow suit.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Flash is not the problem:

[youtube]gNIVpMXHqlk[/youtube]

nb this video works for me in Mozilla on Ubuntu (linux)

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

John D wrote:This podcast by Sam Harris is fantastic! Please listen (sorry... it is two hours long)

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/ ... in-america
Two mins in and he has already pissed me off. Robert Pape and Scott Atran still have the data on their side. It takes something more than Islam to make a terrorist. Although the nature of Islamic terrorism is changing to be something more like Harris suggests, and mass immigration is bringing us other Islamic problems, I really fucking hate the way he just steamrollers over their findings and all the data in an attempt to simplify the problem as "ISLAM!!!".

If Harris really wants to be taken seriously, he has to do the research to back his opinions as people like Pape, Atran, Sageman and English have done.

Speaking of Professor English.... I have to wonder what is written on these paper towels?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/steven-universe- ... o9_twitter
yet another artist who gives SJW's what they want flees twitter. Like Joss Whedon before her.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Mac 10.11.6 with latest Safari, same problem.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

kerning.png
(18.01 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

jimthepleb wrote:http://io9.gizmodo.com/steven-universe- ... o9_twitter
yet another artist who gives SJW's what they want flees twitter. Like Joss Whedon before her.
I believe there is some time-honoured epithet about giving a measure of distance and having a much larger one taken.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Hey, you lovely people. I just woke up from my nap, grabbed my tabled and learned my friend's wife died. Just entered 30s, they had a kid year ago.

Last time when I saw her, it was their wedding day. Now, I'm going to visit her for a last time. I'm a cunt of a friend it seems.

Who's drinking? Fuck being adult. And fuck cancer.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

DrokkIt wrote:
I believe there is some time-honoured epithet about giving a measure of distance and having a much larger one taken.

The article is right. Steven Universe should be SJW Wonderland, but you can never please those people but they real thing is about being pissed about stuff.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

comhcinc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

The article is right. Steven Universe should be SJW Wonderland, but you can never please those people but they real thing is about being pissed about stuff.
Yup, it certainly seems that way.
Right now I'm seeing an AJ+ video about sexism in the olympics pop up in my wall repeatedly.
It's not a comment on whether or not they have a point, but it's a bit much being lectured on (very mild/borderline) instances of sexism by a company owned by Qatar.
Nobody seems to care about that kind of thing.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:Flash is not the problem:

Flash is part of the problem. Firefox (Mozilla is the company) uses the standard version of Flash. Chrome uses Pepper Flash. I don't know about Edge or Safari but I know that they update flash on their own so I assume they may be doing something kinda like Chrome.

If I was looking at fixing this I would be see what I can do to update the system anyway. Chrome is dropping Flash next month and I am sure the others will be quick to follow suit.

CaptainFluffyBunny

sp0tlight wrote:Hey, you lovely people. I just woke up from my nap, grabbed my tabled and learned my friend's wife died. Just entered 30s, they had a kid year ago.

Last time when I saw her, it was their wedding day. Now, I'm going to visit her for a last time. I'm a cunt of a friend it seems.

Ah, shit. Cancer that young. And a baby left behind. Condolences.
[youtube]q4egb2gpIg4[/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

The real question is whether or not any of them ever learn from these little lessons in call-out culture and microaggressions. I'm never surprised that they just wrap themselves in the victim mantle and cry, but go back to being cunts themselves at the first opportunity. I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

sp0tlight wrote:Hey, you lovely people. I just woke up from my nap, grabbed my tabled and learned my friend's wife died. Just entered 30s, they had a kid year ago.

How grim. I'm sorry for your loss. Will have a drink with you. Take care.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: The real question is whether or not any of them ever learn from these little lessons in call-out culture and microaggressions. I'm never surprised that they just wrap themselves in the victim mantle and cry, but go back to being cunts themselves at the first opportunity. I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.

Depends on who you are talking about. IF you are talking about SJWs they have nothing to learn because call-out culture and microaggressions are their things. If you are talking about people who pander to SJWs, I think yes some people have and some people have to learn about it the hard way. An example would be Patton Oswalt I think.

Malky

Post by Malky »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Not a happy night = also appropriate:

[youtube][/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:
Anyway Gabs takes many hundreds of words to explain how he hand fashioned this beauty.

http://cdn1.the-orbit.net/godlessness/w ... ernate.jpg
Catching up with the massively underrated The Americans and I thought that multi-coloured logo looked familiar because Philip attends seminars by these people:

http://66.media.tumblr.com/2a39649665ed ... o4_250.jpg

Malky

Post by Malky »

Malky wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Not a happy night = also appropriate:

[youtube]z1cwSyoeLzU[/youtube]

Malky

Post by Malky »

No doubt we can expect a massive outcry on this by SJWs:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... eer-youth/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tigzy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Mike Starmer appears to be the god king of WWII British army camo. You can buy his self published books on the topic. I don't know what he e(nipple)s them.

His conclusions from here: http://ilovewargameing.fr.yuku.com/topi ... 66G_nhkmrU

to/dr: no blue apart from possible, occasional, random shit.
Mike Starmer, who's written some excellent books on armour camouflage, was kind enough to write to the Wargames Society about this topic:

A controversial subject ....
[nipple]?

Seems they've got some sort of word filter on 'tit'. Guess they want to camouflage anythying remotely blue.

:rimshot:

Fascist [nipple], don't go getting any ideas now...
I'm glad someone noticed. The little boy in me thought it hilarious enough to carry thru into my preamble.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Caught up with Suicide Squad today. It is an average film, although better than Ghostbusters - but not by a great deal.

Margot Robbie caught the male gaze of The Commander, though. The Joker was wasted.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Caught up with Suicide Squad today. It is an average film, although better than Ghostbusters - but not by a great deal.

Margot Robbie caught the male gaze of The Commander, though. The Joker was wasted.
They lost me when they pussed out from R-Rating. PG-13 SS feels like, meh, whatever.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Immanuel K wrote: I was at a gig when Doom played back in the 90´s. I remember wakening up when they played Police Bastard, watched for a while, then passing out again.

My memory sucks, but i find it easier to remember the gigs i missed out due to drinking responsibly rather than the gigs i actually watched.

On the other hand i remember seeing Discharge just last year. I don´t know how many original members they still have, but who cares when screaming along to " Ain´t no feeble bastard"!
Hello there, Immanuel K.
Nice to see you here today.
It's been some time
Since you've posted a rhyme;
Will you grace us with some wordplay?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Flash is not the problem:

Flash is part of the problem. Firefox (Mozilla is the company) uses the standard version of Flash. Chrome uses Pepper Flash. I don't know about Edge or Safari but I know that they update flash on their own so I assume they may be doing something kinda like Chrome.

If I was looking at fixing this I would be see what I can do to update the system anyway. Chrome is dropping Flash next month and I am sure the others will be quick to follow suit.
Firefox and Safari both use the older NPAPI plug-ins for Flash, while Chrome/Chromium/Vivaldi/Opera all use PPAPI (Pepper) plug-ins.

Things have broken for me too. My YT prefs are set to HTML5 rather than flash. I do not have standard NPAPI Flash installed.
Firefox sees embedded HTML5 videos here just fine.
Safari tells me I need the Flash Plug-in, and at YT shows a black box where the video ought to be. Previously it showed me HTML5 videos in both places.
Vivaldi shows me the black bar here, but shows me HTML5 video at YT itself.

This is weird.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Caught up with Suicide Squad today. It is an average film, although better than Ghostbusters - but not by a great deal.

Will Smith's character annoyed me. Basically they were a covert military team (at least in theory) - a Dirty Dozen if you will. There is no way that such a group could function with a soldier questioning and talking back to the commanding officer to the extent Smith's character did.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: The real question is whether or not any of them ever learn from these little lessons in call-out culture and microaggressions. I'm never surprised that they just wrap themselves in the victim mantle and cry, but go back to being cunts themselves at the first opportunity. I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.
I think you are entirely correct- it won't change the demographic of people who have essentially always sought to behave like this.

The issue I think is more one of the greater effect this is having on society in general- it's become quite pervasive and has made a currency of victimhood... which I why I joined the pit in the first place.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pit videos load on my iPhone, IOS 8.4.1.
No videos on Safari 9.1.1 & OS 10.10.5

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

FYI, René Salm has just begun an 'experiment' which should prove fascinating: a reconstruction of the original Gospel of Mark. No mathematical formulas will be employed.

http://www.mythicistpapers.com/2016/08/ ... ark-intro/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:

Will Smith's character annoyed me. Basically they were a covert military team (at least in theory) - a Dirty Dozen if you will. There is no way that such a group could function with a soldier questioning and talking back to the commanding officer to the extent Smith's character did.
But .. but ... he's talking back up !

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Ape+lust wrote:
You're too good at this, Ape. :clap:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ape+lust wrote:
I think my life is now complete.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Sexy Anomaly 1: Fitohlit.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:FYI, René Salm has just begun an 'experiment' which should prove fascinating: a reconstruction of the original Gospel of Mark. No mathematical formulas will be employed.

http://www.mythicistpapers.com/2016/08/ ... ark-intro/
There is a scary looking diagram though.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Science break.
Researchers orbit a muon around an atom, confirm physics is broken
The proton's charge radius shouldn't change, and yet it appears to.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/0 ... is-broken/
A large team of researchers has been testing this by replacing electrons orbiting around a proton, creating an exotic version of the hydrogen atom. In the fractions of a second before the muon decays, the properties of these atoms can be measured. The team has focused on tracking the energy involved in shifting the muon between different orbitals around the proton, using that to infer the charge radius of the proton.

Their first attempt showed something strange: the value for the radius they got was significantly smaller than the one obtained when you measure using an electron. Remember, the muon and the electron should be equivalent, so there should be no difference. Currently, we have no physics that could explain the difference.

The finding had a statistical significance of over five sigma, which is the standard for announcing discovery in physics. Still, it might have been possible to dismiss this as some sort of experimental oddity. Or at least it was until the team gathered even more data, pushing the significance up to over seven sigma.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

deLurch wrote:confirm physics is broken
Flat Earth confirmed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

sp0tlight wrote:
deLurch wrote:confirm physics is broken
Flat Earth confirmed.
Agreed. Another science writer with a shitty title to their article.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

http://imgur.com/4QtVuBJ.jpg

I'll bet they'd get on like lost sisters.

If you see Rebecca travelling toward Washington, throw yourself in front of the car. Or know that you could've stopped the Dept of Privilege and its extraordinary rendition of Richard Dawkins, but didn't.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

sp0tlight wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
You're too good at this, Ape. :clap:
A timely reminder that the lovely Michelle has arrived in Rio for the Hurdles on Tuesday.

-

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+lust wrote:

Nice one. She qualified for Rio.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Now Ape was Pit Master of the world he did not know what to do next.

But he would think of something.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Pit kill.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ape+lust wrote:http://imgur.com/4QtVuBJ.jpg

I'll bet they'd get on like lost sisters.

If you see Rebecca travelling toward Washington, throw yourself in front of the car. Or know that you could've stopped the Dept of Privilege and its extraordinary rendition of Richard Dawkins, but didn't.
What if Bill Clinton is Elevator Guy?

http://respect-mag.com/wp-content/uploa ... /04/19.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:
I didn't think it was possible to be turned off by a Jenneke gif. Well done, Ape.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Lsuoma wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: It's illegal to sell them in the US without a prescription, so you won't get one at Amazon.
Thanks. Will report this. CPAP machines are Class II medical devices and the FDA requires a prescription. That listing should be pulled.
So how do you get to sell one, but not Amazon?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Immanuel K wrote: I was at a gig when Doom played back in the 90´s. I remember wakening up when they played Police Bastard, watched for a while, then passing out again.

My memory sucks, but i find it easier to remember the gigs i missed out due to drinking responsibly rather than the gigs i actually watched.

On the other hand i remember seeing Discharge just last year. I don´t know how many original members they still have, but who cares when screaming along to " Ain´t no feeble bastard"!
Hello there, Immanuel K.
Nice to see you here today.
It's been some time
Since you've posted a rhyme;
Will you grace us with some wordplay?
Ah yes, well done, you remembered the time,
When Immanuel K would regale us with rhyme,
But if I could take a punt,
Something something something cunt,
I'd say that the pit's done just fine.

Sorry IK, nothing personal, just an excuse to bring out the limerick bombs.