The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by AndrewV69 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I only know of two kinds of racism: a dislike or fear of those who look different (based on nothing more than appearance) and the application of stereotypes or general beliefs about the correlates of race to specific individuals (simply because they are members of that race).

Is one of these so-called "modern racism"? Are there more than just these two?

Speaking of stereotypes, Truth in stereotypes
As I read more of the literature on stereotypes, I discovered that this pattern was pervasive. Every article or book that declared stereotypes to be inaccurate either similarly cited no source, or ended in an identical dead end via a slightly different route. Many researchers cite social psychologist Gordon Allport’s benchmark book, The Nature of Prejudice (1954) in support of the claim that stereotypes are inaccurate, or at least exaggerations of real differences. And Allport did declare that stereotypes exaggerated real differences. But, aside from an anecdote or two, which is hardly scientific evidence, he presented no evidence that they actually did so.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Clarence wrote:Or is it too much of being a 'conspiracy theorist' to point out that most reporters are left-wing/sjw leaning (I've seen multiple polls and interviews about how they vote), and that most sites /news organizations need clickbait, and this invariably results in lots of "yellow" journalism, sometimes intentional, sometimes not.

:think:
Bad consequences of biases aren't a conspiracy theory. I'm sure that Fox News or the Daily Mail have the same problem with their own right wing biases. However it's a bit disheartening to see that the CNN, which is widely believe to be an respectable, objective news network, can easily make mistakes or unethical moves that you'd expect from a tabloid.
I know. That's why I don't just stick to MSNBC, CNN, and FOX. And I'd certainly not consider that I'd gotten a fair take on a US political controversy just by viewing CNN, without viewing FOX and preferrably one respected blogger or out of the country news source about it as well.

People who rely on all US new sources and esp only one or two of those are living in their own reality, basically.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:Bearded cunt, Anjem Choudary convicted to inviting IS support in the UK:

GOT to be Islamophobia, right?
And it only took them ... what 20 years to do it?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Oh, the latest Twitter outrage involves Ellen DeGenerous, who tweeted herself on the back of Usain Bolt in that famous meme of him. Apparently it is RACIST. Funny to see so many darlings of the left get gobbled up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 94551.html
Yeah, I read that. Least she's not apologizing. At least so far. And she shouldn't. Thin skin nitwits need no voice.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I only know of two kinds of racism: a dislike or fear of those who look different (based on nothing more than appearance) and the application of stereotypes or general beliefs about the correlates of race to specific individuals (simply because they are members of that race).

As I read more of the literature on stereotypes, I discovered that this pattern was pervasive. Every article or book that declared stereotypes to be inaccurate either similarly cited no source, or ended in an identical dead end via a slightly different route. Many researchers cite social psychologist Gordon Allport’s benchmark book, The Nature of Prejudice (1954) in support of the claim that stereotypes are inaccurate, or at least exaggerations of real differences. And Allport did declare that stereotypes exaggerated real differences. But, aside from an anecdote or two, which is hardly scientific evidence, he presented no evidence that they actually did so.

About 15 years ago some researchers put it to the test. They found there were two kinds of stereotypes -- approximations and bigotry. Mosts approximation stereotypes view the group more positively than it is. For example if black teen pregnancy was 20% and the people were asked what they thought the rate was, they came in consistently under, usually about half. OTOH, those rooted in bigotry found the world view to be much, much worse than it was.

Anyway, it was interesting.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"Check your privilage"

Does this mean "check it out - review, think about it"

Or

"Check, stop, you are defined by your privilage and you must cease, desist, shut up and stop thinking polluted thoughts"

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Oh btw guys. I went back to re-read the story I had this morning(early morning getting up with the kids and half asleep. Here it is with an embedded video. You can read what I read here, you know not from some Russina state site. http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kri ... 5p.twitter

Hey look there is an editor's note!
So was it unintentional or was it an evil plot by the jew lead liberal media to make sure Trump doesn't get elected?

https://watchingthedeniers.files.wordpr ... riend1.jpg
This actually ties in with what I wrote. It was a matter of bad journalism. Not a conspiracy, just an incompetent/unethical move. It's good that they have owned up to it, but it's questionable whether they'd have done it if nobody caught them.
It's unfortunate but it become the world we live in. John Oliver (that evil commie? I am having a hard time keeping up with the enemy list) had a nice segment a couple weeks back.
[youtube][/youtube]

That piece was talked about on Twit and one of the things that was brought up is the amount of stories that reporters/bloggers are expected to put out. There is not enough time or editors to really make sure things are correct or being done right.

Because I bought my son a amazon tablet I got a free year of the washington post and it's awesome. Long form newspapers and magazines are still the best source for good information.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Racism occurs when you value your own culture and heritage despite its underpinnings of privilage and oppression.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Someone is enjoying themselves at the Olympics.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3dcb ... 0c7890c8a2

Objectively attractive.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/40a1 ... 9cd0adb546

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Oh, the latest Twitter outrage involves Ellen DeGenerous, who tweeted herself on the back of Usain Bolt in that famous meme of him. Apparently it is RACIST. Funny to see so many darlings of the left get gobbled up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 94551.html

I was buying some groceries at Wal Mart today. I was waiting to check out, the clerk(she was an older black woman) was slow as hell, when a black mother and her maybe 4 year old son can up behind me in line. Like I said the clerk was slow and bagging my groceries and so the mother could only put so much food up on the line. Her son wanted to put more on and she was explaining to him that they had to wait because otherwise I would have pay for their food and that would be unfair.

She involved me and I said to the kid that if I bought his food I would have to take him home to me and put him to work to pay for it. Then me, the mom, and the clerk, thought up jobs that he could do for me including yard work, scrubbing floors, cleaning gutters, washing the car, etc,etc.

We all enjoyed messing with the kid as adults do. I got my stuff bagged and paid for the stuff. The mom made sure to have the kid tell me bye as I left. It was a very pleasant exchanged and made waiting on the clerk nice.

Anyway my point is that if I made my life about ideology then that pleasant human exchange turns into me, privileged white man punching down on a bunch of black people by reminded them of slavery.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

AndrewV69 wrote:

It's been well-known for a while in the best sections of social psych that stereotypes have more than just an element of truth to them, but it is always couched in terms that make it hard to see this idea. For example, it gets so buried under qualifiers about culture or poverty or whatever, that you can't see that, yes, on average Asians are better at math and blacks are less likely to be able to swim. This is part of what fueled the next wave in this area: the concept of "stereotype threat," which is when the person with the signal (e.g., a black or, more recently, a cis white male) does things to counter-act the stereotype that they are worried will be applied to them.

Note that if you don't allow strong correlations between a signal trait and an ability or behavioral tendency to "count" as evidence that the stereotype has some basis in fact, then you might not agree that they do, indeed, have some basis in fact. But in the social psych world, such correlations are usually all that they have.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have been playing Civ 5 in my spare time so don't know if this have been posted yet.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/15/ladies-on- ... he-trolls/

Ladies on the Internet should man up and ignore the trolls
What’s more embarrassing: Taking the time to randomly spew bizarre personal insults at total strangers online, or collapsing on the nearest fainting couch at same?

The Ladies of the Internet are in a collective tizzy over “online bullying,” i.e., bitchy comments from Internet wackjobs...

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Tribble wrote:About 15 years ago some researchers put it to the test. They found there were two kinds of stereotypes -- approximations and bigotry. Mosts approximation stereotypes view the group more positively than it is. For example if black teen pregnancy was 20% and the people were asked what they thought the rate was, they came in consistently under, usually about half. OTOH, those rooted in bigotry found the world view to be much, much worse than it was.

Anyway, it was interesting.
Are you talking about Susan Fiske's stuff?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Rebecca Watson's painfully unfunny standup act at wootstock has garnered 14 upvotes and 13 downvotes and the uploader is unhappy:
So all of our w00tstock 8.0 videos have ZERO dislikes. Except for this one. But yeah, sexism isn't a thing.

Do us a favor, if you're going to click dislike on this, go ahead and unsubscribe to our channel. You don't deserve any more w00tstock or anything else we produce. You won't be missed.
All she said was "guys don't do that". :cry:

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Rebecca Watson's painfully unfunny standup act at wootstock has garnered 14 upvotes and 13 downvotes and the uploader is unhappy:
So all of our w00tstock 8.0 videos have ZERO dislikes. Except for this one. But yeah, sexism isn't a thing.

Do us a favor, if you're going to click dislike on this, go ahead and unsubscribe to our channel. You don't deserve any more w00tstock or anything else we produce. You won't be missed.
How does he know that people downvoted Becky because of racism? Is this proof of psychic ability?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

VickyCaramel wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
Steers - we weren't originally talking about the power of words to 'hurt' in the SJW sense that the ideas conveyed by these words can damage the delicate psyche.

We were talking about aggressively shouting at people going about their business who don't want to be shouted at. This is an issue of public order and the freedom of people not to have their day ruined and their blood-pressure elevated by somebody who either wants to start a fight with them or humiliate them by making them back down when they're angry.
I was taught another little phrase as a child which was, "Six of one, half a dozen of the other".

The guy getting called a nigger was a cyclist. Cyclists generally deserve to get shouted at, to obey the rules of the road (which it seems most of them don't think they need to obey), or to stop riding around like lunatics, or to get the hell out of the way and stop taking up the whole road (Shit, I hope Mykeru is reading this), so two things occur to me...

Would sounding your horn at them constitute aggression and an infringement of the cyclist's right to continue being a menace on the roads?

And what kind of exchange between the two parties happened before one side went nuclear with the word "niggger"?

I can see a situation with a cyclist standing in the road blocking traffic, shouting abuse at passing cars, would that all be forgiven just because somebody replied to his abuse with the 'N' word?
I'm sure that both of us, in the years since we were children, have noticed that in disputes and conflicts the two sides don't always have moral equivalence despite any easy phrases we learnt all those years ago, Vicky.

For your queries about the rules of the road. Where I live these are dealt with by the "Highway Code" and I guess you have an equivalent where you are. I haven't got it memorised but I'm sure that's where you'll find your answers.

As far as the public order or nuisance offences go, I do know this one. The laws apply equally to everybody, cyclist, pedestrian, driver, passenger all alike. There's no distinction. Of course, they are applied situationally, so in the case you envisage it may well be that the cyclists behaviour would not be adjudged threatening given the sound insulation of cars, in-car music and external engine noise would render it unlikely that any of the motorists would notice that they are being shouted at.

Therefore the cyclist would not be guilty of threatening behaviour, but, to use a technical term from British Common Law be actually guilty of "Behaving like an Ass."

free thoughtpolice

Really? wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Rebecca Watson's painfully unfunny standup act at wootstock has garnered 14 upvotes and 13 downvotes and the uploader is unhappy:

How does he know that people downvoted Becky because of racism? Is this proof of psychic ability?
I just went back to copy the rest of the comment section to put the whole thing in perspective and they are now "unavailable" only 15 minutes later.
There wasn't anything critical of Becky on them although a few days ago I left one that, if you figured I was a critic, might be considered sarcastic. The other comments were positive or were of the uploader warning that any anti-Becky comments they would be banned.
To the best of my memory, my comment was:
Wow! That was awesome! Who says feminists are just humorless, self centered harpies?

Mothra's Dentist

Post by Mothra's Dentist »

Rebecca Watson's painfully unfunny standup act at wootstock has garnered 14 upvotes and 13 downvotes and the uploader is unhappy:

All she said was "guys don't do that". :

I just went back to copy the rest of the comment section to put the whole thing in perspective and they are now "unavailable" only 15 minutes later.
There wasn't anything critical of Becky on them although a few days ago I left one that, if you figured I was a critic, might be considered sarcastic. The other comments were positive or were of the uploader warning that any anti-Becky comments they would be banned.
To the best of my memory, my comment was:
Wow! That was awesome! Who says feminists are just humorless, self centered harpies?[/quote]

Your comment is still there
Attachments
image.jpeg
(214.43 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Being a good parent, I bought my son a T-shirt with this emblazoned on it:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Mr_41ebb9_783705.jpg

I have to say that those blades, which can still be bought and used in antique GEM razors, would be better used in paint scrapers. I'll stick with my straight razors, which allow me not to worry about forearm anatomy when I wish to do the deed.

free thoughtpolice

Mothra's Dentist:
Earlier when I checked all comments were unavailable, now they're there again, so I guess it was just temporary glitch.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I used to like The Atlantic, but there's no explaining why they thought this was worth publishing:
http://archive.is/34bFD

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

This is well worth essential watching:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask

This documentary challenges Norwegian government polices which have been influenced by sociology. He interviews various sociologists and ministers about gender, sexuality, education, etc.. Then he asks real scientists what the science shows. Mainly he is asking, nature or nurture.

I found some of the science surprising (and something of a relief), but what is really entertaining is the reactions of the sociologists when confronted with the evidence. One woman in the third episode seems to go through the first four stages of grief then sits there with a quivering bottom lip.

Enjoy.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:I think that what's happened is that progressive values and culture have become thoroughly elitist. The Left these days is often out of touch with the working class, or in general with people who work for a living and aren't part of an "oppressed class". The message that working and middle class white men who don't work in academia get from leftist and progressive media is that they've evil, disgusting, stupid, uneducated, gross, a drain on society, etc. It's little wonder that they rally around the movements who still accept them.
Especially ironic when research finds that only men pay net tax over their lifetime:
https://nkilsdonkgervais.wordpress.com/ ... taxpayers/

:hankey:

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

piginthecity wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
Steers - we weren't originally talking about the power of words to 'hurt' in the SJW sense that the ideas conveyed by these words can damage the delicate psyche.

We were talking about aggressively shouting at people going about their business who don't want to be shouted at. This is an issue of public order and the freedom of people not to have their day ruined and their blood-pressure elevated by somebody who either wants to start a fight with them or humiliate them by making them back down when they're angry.
I was taught another little phrase as a child which was, "Six of one, half a dozen of the other".

The guy getting called a nigger was a cyclist. Cyclists generally deserve to get shouted at, to obey the rules of the road (which it seems most of them don't think they need to obey), or to stop riding around like lunatics, or to get the hell out of the way and stop taking up the whole road (Shit, I hope Mykeru is reading this), so two things occur to me...

Would sounding your horn at them constitute aggression and an infringement of the cyclist's right to continue being a menace on the roads?

And what kind of exchange between the two parties happened before one side went nuclear with the word "niggger"?

I can see a situation with a cyclist standing in the road blocking traffic, shouting abuse at passing cars, would that all be forgiven just because somebody replied to his abuse with the 'N' word?
I'm sure that both of us, in the years since we were children, have noticed that in disputes and conflicts the two sides don't always have moral equivalence despite any easy phrases we learnt all those years ago, Vicky.

For your queries about the rules of the road. Where I live these are dealt with by the "Highway Code" and I guess you have an equivalent where you are. I haven't got it memorised but I'm sure that's where you'll find your answers.

As far as the public order or nuisance offences go, I do know this one. The laws apply equally to everybody, cyclist, pedestrian, driver, passenger all alike. There's no distinction. Of course, they are applied situationally, so in the case you envisage it may well be that the cyclists behaviour would not be adjudged threatening given the sound insulation of cars, in-car music and external engine noise would render it unlikely that any of the motorists would notice that they are being shouted at.

Therefore the cyclist would not be guilty of threatening behaviour, but, to use a technical term from British Common Law be actually guilty of "Behaving like an Ass."
~You don't know what transpired before the word "nigger" was used, the cyclist could have been threatening to rape the dude's children with a broken bottle for all you know. You are in no position to judge moral equivalence of lack thereof.

Does the work "nigger" trump all other considerations? Are you using the progressive stack because the guy in the car could be an a transgendered asian with tourette syndrome.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Carrie Poppy missed her calling by more than 5 decades.

[youtube][/youtube]

She could've been one of the greats.

http://imgur.com/RetFuOF.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote:Carrie Poppy missed her calling by more than 5 decades.

[.youtube][/youtube]
Carrie Ploppy. So that's what she's like IRL. Every bit as cretinously irritating as I suspected.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:

[.youtube][/youtube]
Carrie Ploppy. So that's what she's like IRL. Every bit as cretinously irritating as I suspected.
Carrie Poppy was an evangelical Christian from 13 to 25, used homeopathy, energy healing, chakra charts, etc. A James Randi video convinced her homeopathy was useless, in a single day. In other words, she was always fucking stupid.

http://youngausskeptics.com/2012/07/the ... pisode-53/

Poppy, like 99% of the shit-stirrers in the "movement", was a noob atheist when she decided other atheists were doing it wrong.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Martin Hughes goes full Klein Bottle:

TEN WAYS TO TRIGGER ANTI-SJWs

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Martin Hughes goes full Klein Bottle:

At least it confirms that even SJWs don't take the term "trigger" seriously anymore. It's just something to be joked about as mildly upsetting another person.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'd rather they tried those things to trigger normal folks instead of deploying the usual SJW tactics of doxxing and contacting your employer in an attempt to get you fired.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Keating wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I think that what's happened is that progressive values and culture have become thoroughly elitist. The Left these days is often out of touch with the working class, or in general with people who work for a living and aren't part of an "oppressed class". The message that working and middle class white men who don't work in academia get from leftist and progressive media is that they've evil, disgusting, stupid, uneducated, gross, a drain on society, etc. It's little wonder that they rally around the movements who still accept them.
Especially ironic when research finds that only men pay net tax over their lifetime:
https://nkilsdonkgervais.wordpress.com/ ... taxpayers/

:hankey:
I was listening to 538's Podcast earlier today (it's hit or miss...but the misses are becoming more and more holy shit bad), and there's a fundamental lack of understanding of the Trump phenomenon. That's the part of it they don't get. They look at economic stats, and those are looking decent, so it must be racism!

Well..I mean, it is. But it's not in a vacuum. The message that's being sent is that they're privileged losers who only have what they have because of their race/sex, and in a perfect world, that would be ripped away from them and given to someone who is more deserving.

That's the trigger for the jingoism and xenophobia. And it's an understandable trigger.

Now, if you go and challenge SJW's on that, they'll deny it. Of COURSE they don't want that. Where did you ever get that idea? But they never change the language that gives people that impression. It's Grade A trolling I think.

And Trump is the consequence. Bon Appetite.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

(Unrelated: Man, the Airplane is still one of the best comedies/parodies)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Karmakin wrote:They look at economic stats, and those are looking decent, so it must be racism!

Well..I mean, it is. But it's not in a vacuum. The message that's being sent is that they're privileged losers who only have what they have because of their race/sex, and in a perfect world, that would be ripped away from them and given to someone who is more deserving.
I think it's more like this: If you're a trust fund yuppie, then "the economy" to you is almost synonymous with the stock market. Your personal fortune rides on how much Microsoft is trading for today.

The majority of the middle and near entirety of the lower class are more worried about their jobs than their investment portfolios. To them "the economy" means squat if they get laid off or outsourced.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:I used to like The Atlantic, but there's no explaining why they thought this was worth publishing:
Any article that starts by quoting a poem is guaranteed to be shit.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Sunder wrote:

At least it confirms that even SJWs don't take the term "trigger" seriously anymore. It's just something to be joked about as mildly upsetting another person.
Oh they still take it seriously. They have simply defined away the possibility of such a thing happening or being of concern to a privileged person, much like the noble Negro cannot be racist.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I used to like The Atlantic, but there's no explaining why they thought this was worth publishing:
[[[.] Caroline Herschel, a 19th-century, German-born astronomer who discovered eight comets and three nebulae, and drew praise from the King of Prussia and London’s Royal Astronomical Society. Yet Caroline remained obscure compared with her brother, William, who discovered the planet Uranus.
because eight comets and three nebulae are more important than a local planet

free thoughtpolice

fuzzy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
[[[.] Caroline Herschel, a 19th-century, German-born astronomer who discovered eight comets and three nebulae, and drew praise from the King of Prussia and London’s Royal Astronomical Society. Yet Caroline remained obscure compared with her brother, William, who discovered the planet Uranus.
because eight comets and three nebulae are more important than a local planet
Her douchebro brother had to give the planet a smutty name just to take the glory away from his sister.
I hate white cis het males. :angry-tappingfoot:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Social media giants had the last word on Anjem Choudary’s online posts, even after he was arrested for inviting support for Islamic State.

British authorities made repeated efforts to get his Twitter posts and YouTube videos taken down after an oath of allegiance to the Caliphate surfaced online with the preacher’s name on it, jurors at the Old Bailey were told during his trial in July. (...)
Choudary currently has more than 32,000 followers on Twitter and his account can still be viewed online, despite requests for its removal in August last year and the following March.

The officer argued the account showed support for Islamic State contrary to section 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and breached Twitter rules on “threatening or promoting terrorism”, the court heard.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... cial-media

If only Choudary had ridiculed ('harassed') a few SJWs; his Twitter account would have been toast long ago. Good to see that Twitter's got their priorities right.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Clarence wrote:De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, I see.
I myself heard anti-white comments and incitement in the riots in Milwaukee. I wonder if you did?
I think CNN did the right thing in not publicizing her call for violence and destruction.

What they did wrong was mischaracterizing what she said, and editing it to be more acceptable. I do have to say, I am not 100% sure what the correct approach is.
* Ignore those statements completely
* Ignore her completely
* Announce the type of statements she made (but that would only lead to curiosity of the public in the internet age as to what she said exactly, which might lead to some people acting on her encouragement).

Broadcasting her enticement to violence and criminal damage could have poor consequences.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

It's been well-known for a while in the best sections of social psych that stereotypes have more than just an element of truth to them, but it is always couched in terms that make it hard to see this idea. For example, it gets so buried under qualifiers about culture or poverty or whatever, that you can't see that, yes, on average Asians are better at math and blacks are less likely to be able to swim. This is part of what fueled the next wave in this area: the concept of "stereotype threat," which is when the person with the signal (e.g., a black or, more recently, a cis white male) does things to counter-act the stereotype that they are worried will be applied to them.

Note that if you don't allow strong correlations between a signal trait and an ability or behavioral tendency to "count" as evidence that the stereotype has some basis in fact, then you might not agree that they do, indeed, have some basis in fact. But in the social psych world, such correlations are usually all that they have.
I see much of academia being dedicated to discrediting, for emotional reasons and through obfuscation and spurious theories, the "wisdom of crowds", thus gaining the reputation for being snobs that can't even do us the dignity of being right most of the time (as those in the STEM fields are). Accumulated anecdotal evidence is a decent way to acquire knowledge, and by socializing you conduct a very basic version of the scientific process, comparing and contrasting your own field findings. Problems arise because social bubbles isolate you and skew results (and also because we are poorly evolved apes, excitable and prone to riot), thus necessitating skepticism and a healthy respect for the empirical findings of large scale studies that contradict your own experiences.

But yeah, stereotypes exist for a reason.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
fuzzy wrote:'poligies to piginthecity, I been having a bad week and have been cranky.
I want an apology too! :twisted:
Hey Lady, why the beard?

[youtube][/youtube]

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Brive1987 wrote:"Check your privilage"

Does this mean "check it out - review, think about it"

Or

"Check, stop, you are defined by your privilage and you must cease, desist, shut up and stop thinking polluted thoughts"
http://7c6084b8d8abb1234a0e-5cd858dd44a ... 816BB3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a94C3J8.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

"Check your privilege"

"I just did. It's fine, thank you."

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Stating "Check your privilege" is pretty much the definition of the ad hominem fallacy

Really?

Post by Really? »

Americans are too stupid to read short stories. Americans are too stupid to read long, well-researched pieces about how Americans are stupid. Americans are too stupid to care about anything important. So they must write about...let me see what the piece says...

Oh, god. That the fucking constellations are sexist. Jesus fucking Christ. It's not even a well-researched piece. Just another vomitblog about shit. And it's borrowed from "Aeon Magazine." Fucking cheapskates. At least the Atlantic is getting buttfucked in the comments.
Tigzy wrote:

[.youtube][/youtube]
And as for Carrie Ploppy, she's the worst. She's the definition of why feminist (not female) comedians are 0% funny. She is an affirmative action case, relying upon the approval of brainwashed psychos to help her fill the gaping hole inside her soul. She's only going to get more insufferable as she looks more and more like a 50-year-old nurse and still thinks she's a 23-year-old hottie. She's never been told "no." She's never faced rejection. So any time she does a vanity search on the Pit and sees that unbrainwashed people think she's unfunny and a shitty human being, she just assumes it's MRA opposition. She's an insult to the innumerable comedians who happen to be female who must suffer because she takes up oxygen because she deserves it.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

VickyCaramel wrote:This is well worth essential watching:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask

This documentary challenges Norwegian government polices which have been influenced by sociology. He interviews various sociologists and ministers about gender, sexuality, education, etc.. Then he asks real scientists what the science shows. Mainly he is asking, nature or nurture.

I found some of the science surprising (and something of a relief), but what is really entertaining is the reactions of the sociologists when confronted with the evidence. One woman in the third episode seems to go through the first four stages of grief then sits there with a quivering bottom lip.

Enjoy.
Thanks. Seem promising and I'll enjoy sharing this on Facebook and watch if anyone's get triggered.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

And i forgot to add the link. Its a seven parts series.

[youtube][/youtube]

Full list (the YT tag does no work with a list variable in the url):

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Thank you preview button. If only the edit button could be like you.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

screwtape wrote:
Being a good parent, I bought my son a T-shirt with this emblazoned on it:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Mr_41ebb9_783705.jpg

I have to say that those blades, which can still be bought and used in antique GEM razors, would be better used in paint scrapers. I'll stick with my straight razors, which allow me not to worry about forearm anatomy when I wish to do the deed.

When you go to prison in Alabama they give you a pack of 50 double sided razor blades. They will give you more if you ask and they do not keep up with what is happening with them.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yceuw.vqwsp/v/ ... BLEG-2.jpg

I can't pretend that it didn't make me uncomfortable.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Mothra's Dentist:
Earlier when I checked all comments were unavailable, now they're there again, so I guess it was just temporary glitch.
I just looked. Rating and comments have been disabled on Youtube. Only on her video.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Many (US) states have laws that require bicycles to ride as close to the edge of the road as possible when they are traveling slower than the cars and/or speed limit. There are exceptions, such as left turns and passing, but you can be ticketed for being out in the middle of a lane for no specific reason. This has been a big deal in my area. The tickets given to the cyclists were appealed and the cyclists lost.
The formulation "as close to the edge as possible", if stated thus, is bound to bring cyclists in danger when taken literally. I hope the judge reads it as "...as possible without risking being run off the road when touched" (or drop into the ditch, or worse).

The Danish Cycling Association DCF recommends asserting your place on the road- not completely pressed to the edge, because that has proven to seduce car drivers to think they can just pass you while they can't. After all you're just a bundle of metal wire, bone and skin.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

comhcinc wrote:
I just looked. Rating and comments have been disabled on Youtube. Only on her video.
So my wish to get banhammered has been denied. I feel oppressed a little.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Also, the edges of the road are often damaged.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
So my wish to get banhammered has been denied. I feel oppressed a little.

Well it that is something that you just have to do I have a suggestion for you my good sir.

Go to one of their other videos, I suggest the Adam Savage one, and complain about the comments being turned off on the Watson video. The person who is running this seems petty enough to take offensive at your comment and delivery the banhammering you so desire.

I don't think it's worth posting the video but here is the link to the Savage video which as of this post as exactly one comment.
[youtube][/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Well I am sure I only meant to post the URL but by habit I used the youtube tag. Oh well.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

feathers wrote:Also, the edges of the road are often damaged.

The trick to get around this is to drive a car. I suggest a great red shark.

http://www.imcdb.org/i001955.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I met a hardcore SJW today. OMFG. OMFG.

At conference, socialising. I bring up a past workplace.

SJW: Ewww that must have been bad
Me: Why?
SJW: Because of all the sexual harrassment.
Me: I don't know what you're talking about.

AT THIS POINT SHE SAYS SOMETHING WHERE I LITERALLY FEEL LIKE I AM ON THE TUMBLRS. LIKE WHAT.

SJW: Well when I say sexual harrassment I mean gender discrimination
Me: I don't think that happens.
SJW: I heard that a lot of women have trouble talking to management, and you know, they don't get listened to.
Me: I worked real close with the top tiers of the org... I had nothing but excellent experiences. *I ramble on about how great organisation was and how much was invested in me and I had never seen anyone being treated differently etc*
SJW: Well it may have just happened in pockets. You know that can happen.
Me: I was pretty much everywhere.

She completely breaks eyecontact with me mid-way through this and then kind of escapes like she's seen someone but then she has to come back and so I'm like hmm I'm getting food and I do.

We don't talk again but later on she asks the speaker a question and she honest to fuck starts talking about domestic violence rates and how men kill their wives and shit like that when the whole thing was... not about that. At all.

OMFG.

OMFG.

I'm still like WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT if someone told me this story I would not fucking believe it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

rayshul wrote:I met a hardcore SJW today. OMFG. OMFG.

At conference, socialising. I bring up a past workplace.

SJW: Ewww that must have been bad
Me: Why?
SJW: Because of all the sexual harrassment.
Me: I don't know what you're talking about.

AT THIS POINT SHE SAYS SOMETHING WHERE I LITERALLY FEEL LIKE I AM ON THE TUMBLRS. LIKE WHAT.

SJW: Well when I say sexual harrassment I mean gender discrimination
Me: I don't think that happens.
SJW: I heard that a lot of women have trouble talking to management, and you know, they don't get listened to.
Me: I worked real close with the top tiers of the org... I had nothing but excellent experiences. *I ramble on about how great organisation was and how much was invested in me and I had never seen anyone being treated differently etc*
SJW: Well it may have just happened in pockets. You know that can happen.
Me: I was pretty much everywhere.

She completely breaks eyecontact with me mid-way through this and then kind of escapes like she's seen someone but then she has to come back and so I'm like hmm I'm getting food and I do.

We don't talk again but later on she asks the speaker a question and she honest to fuck starts talking about domestic violence rates and how men kill their wives and shit like that when the whole thing was... not about that. At all.

OMFG.

OMFG.

I'm still like WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT if someone told me this story I would not fucking believe it.
Ooh ooh I know the answer to this one:

You have internalized so much misogyny, you victim. The important thing is to know you are a victim, whether your personal experience reflects this or not.