The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by fuzzy »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Spike13 wrote: There is a new Facebook page "Trigger me timbers" it has send up's of triggering. Not quite up to Slymepit standards. But good non the less.
Seems like Failbook took it down.
My spider sense tells me that TriggerMeTimbers, Triggernometrics, and PatriArchieComics are the same artist.
http://67.media.tumblr.com/84915dcd0787 ... 1_1280.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fmtEuTV.jpg
http://67.media.tumblr.com/9fdb7b86826c ... 1_1280.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TfCykNz.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
I believe that Gaiman is involved in adapting it to TV - and has talked about expanding the plot, so there is much new to look forward to.

Yeah I remember him saying something about it a while ago. Like I said I will check it out but it's not something I am getting all excited about though it looks pretty good.

I honestly think Game of Thrones cracked the code on how to books to tv shows. Stick to plot of the book and understand that series is going to be limited and not some law and order show that goes on for a million years.

As an aside Stardust is my ex's favorite movie. I think that movie is underrated and will become a cult hit over the next 20 years.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

dog puke wrote:It's my birthday... send me dog food and biscuits.

Happy birthday?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/ ... 34x422.jpg

You are one sick fuck.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:I've told the kids I don't care if they curse as long as they do it properly, because proper english is important. I have also told them that they curse at their own peril and I won't back them up with anyone. I have gone so far to say I will deny knowing their curse and throw them under the bus if I need to.
That's an interesting approach to parenting.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

HunnyBunny wrote:Are there any #AdoptDon'tShop pet adopting advocates here? I have a problem with this philosophy, but maybe I'm wrong.

To me this new movement that says pet breeding is wrong and people should never buy an animal as a pet is just a form of SJWism. It comes across as extremist and ill-informed. And sometimes plain dumb. However, I do acknowledge I am biased, having grown up with pedigree pets, and currently owning a dog of a specific breed, who we purchased from a registered breeder.

I have FFFs (Fucking Facebook Friends) who seem otherwise intelligent, but constantly post about how 'adopting' is the only ethical route to pet-owning. My objections are, in no particular order:

1. adoption (at least in France & UK) isn't free. In our part of France it costs €250, so these people are buying a pet.

2. along with the #adopt mantra, comes a plea to always neuter your pets. If all breeding should be stopped, and every pet is neutered then there will be no animals left. I can only assume that therefore these people are animal haters with the ultimate goal of removing cats and dogs from the face of the earth.

3. Many breeds have been around for hundreds, or in some case thousands, of years. No breeding would mean they all disappeared and only feral animals would be breeding, creating just one type of dog / cat / goldfish. I have found specific breeds can differ greatly from other breeds, and I wouldn't want to lose this diversity. Dogs used for jobs like care dogs, or sniffer dogs are specific breeds for a reason. Is it ok to breed those dogs still? Is it ok to breed horses - should we only adopt those as well because some people are mean to them or don't ethically breed them?

4. Animals in shelters are there because people, both breeders and owners, are stupid or mean or both. Only adopting animals won't stop people from being stupid or mean, it will just be that the nice people continue being nice, but with less opportunity to have a pet because there will be so few pets to go around. In short, it is people that are the problem, so perhaps we should do something about the people instead.

As I said, I acknowledge my love of certain breeds makes me biased. But also I hate extremists of any kind, and I am sceptical of the logic and claims made. If we didn't live in Hong Kong with the issue of no space, I probably would adopt a pet, along with the specific breed animals I like, if I found one that suited our family. I know that the recent rise in 'puppy farms' and unethical breeding for fashion traits is awful, but that comes back to people being a problem, and therefore we need to sort the people who are a problem.

So, any folk here who use the #adoptdon'tshop mantra care to put the other side?
The problem isn't responsible breeders, but puppy mills, which does feed the pet shop industry. I found all mine at shelters, including my boy, a basenji - thought I'd have to pay hundreds for one - and have never had issues. My last two live around 17 years without issues until old age really set in. No real idea what the #adoptdon'tshop philosophy is, but the way I understand it you can get more animals with problems (esp genetics) from the mills, while the flip side is you can get the same with adoption. Maybe part is paying a shelter for a pet which can help save other animals, or pay a store with a profit margin and paying to support puppy (or kitty, bunny, etc) mills. Not sure how fish work, but I've never seen a fish up for adoption so I don't think it applies.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I've told the kids I don't care if they curse as long as they do it properly, because proper english is important. I have also told them that they curse at their own peril and I won't back them up with anyone. I have gone so far to say I will deny knowing their curse and throw them under the bus if I need to.

I mean I am being a little flippant here but both I and their mother constantly curse around them. I think it would be pretty disingenuous to tell them they can't say the words I used all the time. I have explained that there are times and places where that will be unacceptable, like school. If I was ever to be called in to school I think I would split it down the middle. I would agree with the school that it was the wrong place and time to curse but also I would question if it really was that big of a fucking deal?

Btw, the kids never curse. They are just not interested in it.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

comhcinc wrote: You are one sick fuck.
And your point?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

funny-hot-girl-happy-birthday-greetings-gif_zpsbu4yss2g (1).gif
Candles worth blowing. Thank you.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

dog puke wrote:
comhcinc wrote: You are one sick fuck.
And your point?

That I approve of your lifestyle.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
Eh, if the parents swear, it's hypocritical to try to :twatson: restrict swearing as an adult thing. And futile, as they'll learn it soon enough anyway and just use it behind your back. It lessens the forbidden fruit aspect. My eldest daughter curses like a sailor, but my other daughter wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful. My boys use it sparingly. I was allowed to curse growing up, and my parents had a policy against censorship. It served me well wheras my peers went overboard when they got a little freedom.

I do back up my kid's speech, tho there's only been one incident, and that with the MIL.

CaptainFluffyBunny

That twatson snuck in there somehow. Weirdness abounds today.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:I mean I am being a little flippant here but both I and their mother constantly curse around them. I think it would be pretty disingenuous to tell them they can't say the words I used all the time. I have explained that there are times and places where that will be unacceptable, like school. If I was ever to be called in to school I think I would split it down the middle. I would agree with the school that it was the wrong place and time to curse but also I would question if it really was that big of a fucking deal?

Btw, the kids never curse. They are just not interested in it.
Of course. You've explained them that it's not such a big deal and haven't turned the curses into a tempting taboo. Why would they still be interested in them?

I wasn't kidding. That's an interesting approach.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

HunnyBunny wrote:Are there any #AdoptDon'tShop pet adopting advocates here? I have a problem with this philosophy, but maybe I'm wrong.

To me this new movement that says pet breeding is wrong and people should never buy an animal as a pet is just a form of SJWism. It comes across as extremist and ill-informed. And sometimes plain dumb. However, I do acknowledge I am biased, having grown up with pedigree pets, and currently owning a dog of a specific breed, who we purchased from a registered breeder.

I have FFFs (Fucking Facebook Friends) who seem otherwise intelligent, but constantly post about how 'adopting' is the only ethical route to pet-owning. My objections are, in no particular order:

1. adoption (at least in France & UK) isn't free. In our part of France it costs €250, so these people are buying a pet.

2. along with the #adopt mantra, comes a plea to always neuter your pets. If all breeding should be stopped, and every pet is neutered then there will be no animals left. I can only assume that therefore these people are animal haters with the ultimate goal of removing cats and dogs from the face of the earth.

3. Many breeds have been around for hundreds, or in some case thousands, of years. No breeding would mean they all disappeared and only feral animals would be breeding, creating just one type of dog / cat / goldfish. I have found specific breeds can differ greatly from other breeds, and I wouldn't want to lose this diversity. Dogs used for jobs like care dogs, or sniffer dogs are specific breeds for a reason. Is it ok to breed those dogs still? Is it ok to breed horses - should we only adopt those as well because some people are mean to them or don't ethically breed them?

4. Animals in shelters are there because people, both breeders and owners, are stupid or mean or both. Only adopting animals won't stop people from being stupid or mean, it will just be that the nice people continue being nice, but with less opportunity to have a pet because there will be so few pets to go around. In short, it is people that are the problem, so perhaps we should do something about the people instead.

As I said, I acknowledge my love of certain breeds makes me biased. But also I hate extremists of any kind, and I am sceptical of the logic and claims made. If we didn't live in Hong Kong with the issue of no space, I probably would adopt a pet, along with the specific breed animals I like, if I found one that suited our family. I know that the recent rise in 'puppy farms' and unethical breeding for fashion traits is awful, but that comes back to people being a problem, and therefore we need to sort the people who are a problem.

So, any folk here who use the #adoptdon'tshop mantra care to put the other side?
Missed #2 - unless you plan on breeding your pet, always spay or neuter them. In many (most?) cases it can help with behavioral issues as well as help in lifespan and general health. Not sure why, perhaps stresses on the body? No clue, really, but many dogs live longer and have less of certain issues when spayed or neutered - I forget the specifics but it varies, and I'm not sure how extensive it really is. The behavioral issues, along with the problems with pets, especially cats, going into heat, and the costs of breeding an unwanted litter because you aren't responsible (letting them run around the neighborhood, etc) can be high. That part is also part of responsible ownership. If you keep your dog in the yard, for the most part, you won't have to worry about having a litter unexpectedly (depends on the breed, I've heard of large dogs jumping over shorter fences to consummate their one-night stands.

Also, the comment where you acknowledge the rise of puppy farms yet call that a problem with people - how do you deal with them if you support the industry that drives them? In some places animal care laws can stop such places if they are really bad and they get called in, yet many are skirting the line and nothing can be done. There are many ethical breeders (although with that you also have the problem with inbreeding which is a major problem with some breeds) but they don't normally sell to pet stores or advertise in the local paper, although dog or cat periodicals (esp the ones you normally don't find in bookstores) may have adverts. Dog shows are also good to find responsible breeders, although just being there doesn't make that true either.

I think maybe some of my views fit with what you were looking for, but I suspect they go further (at least with some people) but have no knowledge beyond what little I can surmise.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's probably a good time to ask some friends over, and see if they can't help get your head unstuck from the toilet.

Oh...and Happy Birthday.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Just saw Kubo and the Two Strings. It's pretty fucking great.

The only negative review I came across before seeing it was some Guardian tit bitching that it "indoctrinated" Shinto, which I wasn't aware was a thing that anyone anywhere was or could be legitimately concerned over. It's a fucking fairytale, and a gorgeous one. Also pretty sure it traumatized a few children in attendance which is always a plus. Kids need to watch more films that will give them nightmares.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:Just saw Kubo and the Two Strings. It's pretty fucking great.

The only negative review I came across before seeing it was some Guardian tit bitching that it "indoctrinated" Shinto, which I wasn't aware was a thing that anyone anywhere was or could be legitimately concerned over. It's a fucking fairytale, and a gorgeous one. Also pretty sure it traumatized a few children in attendance which is always a plus. Kids need to watch more films that will give them nightmares.
It looks really good. Same group did Coraline (keeping the Gaiman train going) and my whole family likes that.

Couple of days ago one of the people who worked on the movie posted a gif of themselves on Reddit.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:As an aside Stardust is my ex's favorite movie. I think that movie is underrated and will become a cult hit over the next 20 years.
It's definitely got that Princess Bride quality that marks it out for cultdom.

https://media.giphy.com/media/kzG46XI2CTfoc/giphy.gif

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Stardust is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

There was speculation that the "No Man's Sky" title might rustle some Janies.
Not sure if ninjaed, but it did.
http://jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-called-n ... 1785411230

CaptainFluffyBunny

rayshul wrote:Stardust is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen.
Apparently you haven't seen Zootopia. Stardust was a little cutesy for my taste, but the wife loves it.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Eh, if the parents swear, it's hypocritical to try to :twatson: restrict swearing as an adult thing. And futile, as they'll learn it soon enough anyway and just use it behind your back. It lessens the forbidden fruit aspect. My eldest daughter curses like a sailor, but my other daughter wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful. My boys use it sparingly. I was allowed to curse growing up, and my parents had a policy against censorship. It served me well wheras my peers went overboard when they got a little freedom.

I do back up my kid's speech, tho there's only been one incident, and that with the MIL.
When I grew up it was just a "known thing" that how you spoke among yourselves (liberal use of fuck and cunt etc,) was just not done at school or at home as there would be consequences. Sticking to this meant there were never any issues.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

You might have the perfect vag but I don't think I can't trust your taste in movies.

http://i.imgur.com/lAA6Dbb.jpg

The top critic rating is 19%.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Then it sounds like you really haven't seen that many movies:

[youtube][/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:BTW, Great Britain just clocked up gold medal number 25, with a couple more probably to come.

Australia, meanwhile, are still stuck on EIGHT!

Pity there is not a decent picture of a kangaroo crying.
Got even more golds than China at present, which I have to admit seems a bit too good to be true. Yep, I know the UK's reaping the rewards of a long term lottery cash investment, but even so. I hope to fuck there's no doping involved.
The reason is simple and does not need doping to explain it. The Lottery cash was allocated on merit and focused only on those athletes who could show they had a chance of success. In some ways it is a brutal system but highly effective and highly motivating. So the cash allocation was focused and not spread thinly. The UK has far less actual entries than China across fewer sports. There was also a lot spent on ground roots facilities which bred new generations of athletes.

The whole approach is the total opposite of how an SJW would do it and I suspect the way many other countries do it too. They hate meritocracy and this 'medals for all' mentality is killing a lot of competitors chances through lack of funding.
True.

A lot of cash has gone to the sports where individuals can pick up lots of medals - swimming, cycling, rowing, etc. Team sports, such as basketball, have lost out. Obviously, it is much harder to justify spending millions to get just 2 medals maximum in basketball, and even then, you are never going to better than the USA in that sport. If you can build up strong swimming and cycling programmes, you can pick up lots of metal.

Of course, the fact that some Olympic sports are divided into niche categories, allowing some to pick up lots of individual medals (i.e Phelps), means it is difficult to measure greatness in terms of medals won. Is Phelps better than Bolt? Discuss.....

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

So does anyone believe that Usain Bolt is on the level? Is there a chance of a Lance Armstrong type expose in a few years time. I think the cult of personality around him is so large now that Athletics as a sport would take such a massive blow that it won't be allowed to happen. Maybe he is just super talented? Of the ten men that have run under 9.79 for the 100 metres, Bolt is the only one to never have been caught doping, coincidence?

It's hard to know what is really going on in top level sport now. Huge amounts of money dictate events now I feel.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

DrokkIt wrote: Also Jeri Ryan is 10/10 objective beauty standards.
I thought she was 7/9

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:In other news, Burnley striker Andre Gray, who today found his moment of glory in being instrumental in defeating Liverpool 2-0, has had some old tweets unearthed. Social media furore has ensued owing to their paucity of political correctness:
People have already pointed this out, but the number of individuals who find fame, but are then caught out by social media activity they types out years before, usually as a teenager, will only increase.

Good job John Terry and Robbie Fowler weren't on Twitter in the 1990s!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BTW Tuvok - some good popcorn fare is brewing up in UK politics: Labour's pet muslim Mayor of London has come out against Corbyn: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sadiq-khan

Are the Corbynistas willing to risk being labelled Islamophobes in order to go to war against Khan? Here's hoping! :popcorn:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

This is possibly the most incriminating and damaging tweet from Andre Grey...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqVNz5eWIAAv0yS.jpg

:D

Malky

Post by Malky »

For the game players among you Obduction is out in a few days - this is a game that will really challenge you

http://obduction.com/media/

Really looking forward to this one as are my sons

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:BTW Tuvok - some good popcorn fare is brewing up in UK politics: Labour's pet muslim Mayor of London has come out against Corbyn: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sadiq-khan

Are the Corbynistas willing to risk being labelled Islamophobes in order to go to war against Khan? Here's hoping! :popcorn:
I've noticed, and I am not surprised. There was always some distance between Corbyn and Khan. I imagine some Corbynistas are already labelling Khan "Tory scum" or "blue Labour".

free thoughtpolice

Worst movie ever? I haven't seen this but have seen the trailers and read the synopsis; surreal bittersweet tragic romance where woman falls ill with rare, fatal disease that has a flower growing in her lungs, the only treatment is her beau constantly surrounding her with flowers. Sickly sweet, stupid, corny and depressing all at once.
[youtube][/youtube]

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Oglebart wrote:So does anyone believe that Usain Bolt is on the level? Is there a chance of a Lance Armstrong type expose in a few years time. I think the cult of personality around him is so large now that Athletics as a sport would take such a massive blow that it won't be allowed to happen. Maybe he is just super talented? Of the ten men that have run under 9.79 for the 100 metres, Bolt is the only one to never have been caught doping, coincidence?

It's hard to know what is really going on in top level sport now. Huge amounts of money dictate events now I feel.
He's a giant, he looks like a whole other type of human beside the other competitors. When I've seen his events I'm totally not surprised he's killing it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote: I've noticed, and I am not surprised. There was always some distance between Corbyn and Khan. I imagine some Corbynistas are already labelling Khan "Tory scum" or "blue Labour".
Someone's already labelled Khan - of all people - a Zionist as a result. :lol:
(Prolly not a parody account, either - has far too much of a pro-Palestinian, anti-Zionist monomania thing going on there.)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Worst movie ever? I haven't seen this but have seen the trailers and read the synopsis; surreal bittersweet tragic romance where woman falls ill with rare, fatal disease that has a flower growing in her lungs, the only treatment is her beau constantly surrounding her with flowers. Sickly sweet, stupid, corny and depressing all at once.
Well it sounds like wank, but... it's Michael Gondry & has Omar Sy. I will watch the cunt out of it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

...and sure enough, not a moment after my last post: Lefty muslim Sadiq is, in fact, a closet tory Zionist:
That's about the quality of your support, Jezza. Are you not happy?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Tuvok and Tigzy, are you embedding tweets in your last few posts? Cause they aren't showing up if so. Maybe similar to the recent YouTube embed issue??

Malky

Post by Malky »

Tweets showing for me along with youtube videos now

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oglebart wrote:Tuvok and Tigzy, are you embedding tweets in your last few posts? Cause they aren't showing up if so. Maybe similar to the recent YouTube embed issue??
Yep. I'm seeing them just fine (Firefox, Win 10 + plus shitty latest update). I think I might add some text quoting the content of the tweets in the forseeable future though. That last one was:
Moe
‏@moethemyth

Sadiq Khan - nothing but a closet Tory Zionist. Its the truth....

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Time travel has been proven - youtube video comfirms it:

[youtube][/youtube]

nb Hope this is not breaking up the flow of the current conversation(s) - if it is I will post it earlier.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Tigzy wrote:
Oglebart wrote:Tuvok and Tigzy, are you embedding tweets in your last few posts? Cause they aren't showing up if so. Maybe similar to the recent YouTube embed issue??
Yep. I'm seeing them just fine (Firefox, Win 10 + plus shitty latest update). I think I might add some text quoting the content of the tweets in the forseeable future though. That last one was:
Moe
‏@moethemyth

Hmmm, ok thanks for that. I'll investigate things at my end, odd.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

rayshul wrote:
Oglebart wrote:So does anyone believe that Usain Bolt is on the level? Is there a chance of a Lance Armstrong type expose in a few years time. I think the cult of personality around him is so large now that Athletics as a sport would take such a massive blow that it won't be allowed to happen. Maybe he is just super talented? Of the ten men that have run under 9.79 for the 100 metres, Bolt is the only one to never have been caught doping, coincidence?

He's a giant, he looks like a whole other type of human beside the other competitors. When I've seen his events I'm totally not surprised he's killing it.

I think you are exactly right on that. He so much taller that everyone else he doesn't have to try as hard. I don't think doping would be worth it for him.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oglebart wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Moe
‏@moethemyth

Hmmm, ok thanks for that. I'll investigate things at my end, odd.
Works for me. Using latest chrome build on Mint.

Check out your ad blocker. For example I know ublock origin will block the tweet embeds. One of the reason I have it turned off on the pit. Another reason is I would be fine with the tit throwing some ads up to play for this place.

free thoughtpolice

Apparently there is a bunch of racists out there that want to bring back segregation:
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25748/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:...and sure enough, not a moment after my last post: Lefty muslim Sadiq is, in fact, a closet tory Zionist:
That's about the quality of your support, Jezza. Are you not happy?
Gotta love those nutters. Khan has sucked up to Islamists in the past:
It is only after knowing how Khan shored up his 2010 power base in Tooting, in part by demonizing his rival as being “not Muslim enough,” that the scandal that hit Khan on the last day of his campaign begins to makes sense.

It was discovered that in 2009 Khan used the racially divisive and derogatory term “Uncle Tom”—on Iranian State TV no less—to describe reforming liberal Muslims, who counter extremism. The question Khan answered here came in specific reference to my own organization, Quilliam.
And his support for the idiotic radfem campaign of censoring "fat-shaming" ads reeks of backdoor Islamism (you can make conservative Muslims happy by censoring nudity if you support the radfem nutters who are triggered by beautiful women in ads).

But ambiguity and opportunism isn't enough for the Muslim supremacists and their dhimmi friends and ironically now Khan, who once described the reformers within Islam as "Uncle Toms" and Ahmadi as "not true Muslims" and therefore as inferior candidates to him, is accused of being a Zionist because he's not supporting Sharia law and he's not licking the boots of Corbyn, who is beloved by peaceful and rational groups like Hamas.

The UK Labour Party has become so messed up that vacuous wastes of space like Oliver Smith can suggest ideas like recognizing the Islamic State as a legitimate entity which should have access to the peace talks in Syria. Hopefully the Labour will implode sooner rather than later.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote: The UK Labour Party has become so messed up that vacuous wastes of space like Oliver Smith can suggest ideas like recognizing the Islamic State as a legitimate entity which should have access to the peace talks in Syria. Hopefully the Labour will implode sooner rather than later.
It's amusing to see the Corbynistas tweeting that if it wasn't for Jezza, Khan would never have been elected Mayor of London. Somehow I suspect certain other demographic groups - and one in particular - might have had more to do with that.

That said, blaming Corbyn over Labour's failure to convince their supporters on the merits or Remaining in the EU is nothing more than scapegoating on Khan's part. Like most Labour folks, he's either forgetting or ignoring (I suspect the latter) the fact that significant Labour losses to UKIP were occurring in the traditional Labour heartlands (the very ones which swung it for Brexit) long before Corbyn was leader. True, Corbyn didn't help matters much - but he certainly wasn't the cause. As far as I can see, it doesn't really matter who leads Labour - they're still fucked unless they're willing to confront those issues which UKIP are all to happy to talk about. And Labour are far too chickenshit for that at the moment.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Owen, not Oliver Smith. He's so insignificant and vapid I can't even get his name right. :lol:

The choice within Labour is between an aging communist beloved by terrorist groups and a young idiot who doesn't have a clue about how the world works.

Vote Lib Dem, vote Tory, vote UKIP in a pinch, but if those are candidates never vote Labour. If I were British I'd rather have the blond buffoon Boris Johnson as primer minister than either Smith or Corbyn.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Tigzy wrote:In other news, Burnley striker Andre Gray, who today found his moment of glory in being instrumental in defeating Liverpool 2-0, has had some old tweets unearthed. Social media furore has ensued owing to their paucity of political correctness:
People have already pointed this out, but the number of individuals who find fame, but are then caught out by social media activity they types out years before, usually as a teenager, will only increase.

The question is if the populace will eventually desensitize to it?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

The question is if the populace will eventually desensitize to it?
The general populace? Yes. I believe that many are already desensitized and plainly don't care one way or the other. A football player has said some stupid shit: the horror, the horror.

However you don't need to have the entire populace behind you to create a scandal, you just need a vocal minority of people who care about it and start hashtag campaigns and other protests. The outrage is fueled by the Twitter warriors, and they're very likely never going to desensitize.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/nice- ... 1697080779

How am I supposed to cover my shame now Phil????

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Someone just challenged me to find a single feminist who wants Salman Rushdie dead.

I can't help but think that there must be at least one...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote: I've noticed, and I am not surprised. There was always some distance between Corbyn and Khan. I imagine some Corbynistas are already labelling Khan "Tory scum" or "blue Labour".
Someone's already labelled Khan - of all people - a Zionist as a result. :lol:
(Prolly not a parody account, either - has far too much of a pro-Palestinian, anti-Zionist monomania thing going on there.)
*Sigh* - Everyone is a Zionist. Everyone is in on the Jewish conspiracy. One step further and they are talking about lizard people.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

bovarchist wrote:Someone just challenged me to find a single feminist who wants Salman Rushdie dead.

Like all the Muslim feminist?

Couch

Post by Couch »

VickyCaramel wrote:This is well worth essential watching:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask

This documentary challenges Norwegian government polices which have been influenced by sociology. He interviews various sociologists and ministers about gender, sexuality, education, etc.. Then he asks real scientists what the science shows. Mainly he is asking, nature or nurture.

I found some of the science surprising (and something of a relief), but what is really entertaining is the reactions of the sociologists when confronted with the evidence. One woman in the third episode seems to go through the first four stages of grief then sits there with a quivering bottom lip.

Enjoy.
Just dredging this up from last Tuesday to say I'm three episodes in and enjoying it. It's not perfect but it's a fair stab at questioning and to some extent debunking sociologists' theories; theories which have had a massive influence on public policy when often not backed by any real science.

Episode 3 on gays and straights initially bamboozled me - I didn't realise sociologists ran the line that homosexuality was learned behaviour - as this would align them with the Religious Right. Then I realised admitting a genetic/biological basis for sexuality would leave a crack in their wider artifice that you could drive a bus through. So The Gay gets thrown thereunder for the sake of the larger project of identity politics and cultural Marxism.

They're doing actual harm.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I mean you have to learn how much lube to use.....

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

bovarchist wrote:Someone just challenged me to find a single feminist who wants Salman Rushdie dead.

Heaps!

What part of Kill All Men dont you understand?

For sheer lulz, point them toward Elyse.

free thoughtpolice

There is someone named Elyse Anders in the imdb. There doesn't seem to be much info on her there, and the only credit on the bio is for Huffpost live, but didn't specify anything. When I entered Huffpost live elyse anders in the youtube search I got a short documentary about atheists, but there wasn't an Elyse Anders in it.
Seems a bit odd, I wonder if it's the same Elyse as Skepchick Elyse?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm8196034/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:That said, blaming Corbyn over Labour's failure to convince their supporters on the merits or Remaining in the EU is nothing more than scapegoating on Khan's part. Like most Labour folks, he's either forgetting or ignoring (I suspect the latter) the fact that significant Labour losses to UKIP were occurring in the traditional Labour heartlands (the very ones which swung it for Brexit) long before Corbyn was leader. True, Corbyn didn't help matters much - but he certainly wasn't the cause. As far as I can see, it doesn't really matter who leads Labour - they're still fucked unless they're willing to confront those issues which UKIP are all to happy to talk about. And Labour are far too chickenshit for that at the moment.
Leftists parties everywhere in Europe are losing their appeal with the working class. They've become elitist parties which are more popular with academics and students, civil servants, state employees and identity groups than with people who work in factories or shops. To say nothing of shop owners and people who run family businesses, who are almost overwhelmingly right wing.

free thoughtpolice

trying again for that link:
[urlhttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm8196034/][/url]