The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
sp0tlight

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by sp0tlight »

Gumby wrote:
d4m10n wrote: My favorite bit was where PZ insisted that Ellen DeGeneres must confess and repent the sin of racism.
The DeGeneres kerfluffle is perhaps the greatest nutshell example of SJW idiocy and wrongness I've seen yet.
Usain retweeted it, so I guess he found it amusing, he's pretty fun, down to earth guy, considering his immense position in sport, but that won't stop white, middle class bloggers, to get offended on his behalf.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

sp0tlight wrote:
Gumby wrote:
d4m10n wrote: My favorite bit was where PZ insisted that Ellen DeGeneres must confess and repent the sin of racism.
The DeGeneres kerfluffle is perhaps the greatest nutshell example of SJW idiocy and wrongness I've seen yet.
Usain retweeted it, so I guess he found it amusing, he's pretty fun, down to earth guy, considering his immense position in sport, but that won't stop white, middle class bloggers, to get offended on his behalf.
Yes, the SJWs have no problem educating those poor ignorant POCs about how badly they're treated. For their own good of course.

http://i.imgur.com/fnfx3.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I would like to see your garage. So few even have so much as a timing light anymore.
You really are as old as I am to even think of a timing light. With that said, my garage is boring these days. I always have only one car, selling it before starting the new one, and the latest is just getting started.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

(that was Jan Steen's not mine).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

sp0tlight wrote:
Gumby wrote:
When DeGeneres tweeted it she was being racist.

When Bolt retweeted it he was being sexist by implying men carry women.

So they are both being problematic.

Billie from Ockham

I don't want to google for the stolen pics of Leslie Jones, correct?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I don't want to google for the stolen pics of Leslie Jones, correct?
You know, in your heart of hearts, that you will.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I don't want to google for the stolen pics of Leslie Jones, correct?
I can't trust one of you to re-post them here? Spoons, people!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Billie from Ockham wrote: I can't trust one of you to re-post them here? Spoons, people!
I know you're joking but if anyone did post them here I would be deleting them pronto. Posting those pics isn't "free speech", it's rubbing salt in the wound of someone who has been really fucked with lately.

Of course, the FT thinks I'm too "sensitive", so he might just overrule me on that one. Again.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
I can't trust one of you to re-post them here? Spoons, people!
I'd rather have Mykeru's shit pics.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Don't post stolen naked pics, whoever they show, Lord Satan.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Shatterface wrote: I'd rather have Mykeru's shit pics.
[youtube][/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

gurugeorge wrote:Meh, the French and the Germans never quite got liberalism, even back in the 17th and 18th centuries - they've always been too hung up on the idea of centralized, "rational" ordering of society.

It's like, they have the right idea that reason is the way forward, but they misapply it in politics; they never understood the Burkean idea of "little battalions", ground-up social order, etc. They've always thought that clever people should be in charge and order society according to apriori rational principles, as if humanity were a fucking topiary garden.

Reason, in its rule of society, works most effectively by virtue of the mass of individuals severally applying it to their lives, not by virtue of some clever people ordering others around.

That means, in economics, separation of economics and state, i.e. capitalism strictly understood. The "missing half" of the equation is the necessity for ground-up self-help organization amongst workers and those likely to be affected by capitalist "bad weather", buggy whips going out of fashion, etc. Which is what unions and labour organizations were originally for, until they were captured by Marxist idiots who saw workers as the vanguard of their silly revolution. That's what a true, liberal Left would be going for, encouragement of collective self-help and self-organization - instead, they got the rationalism-in-politics bug, and dreamt of how wonderful things would be if only they were in charge ...

The State has no business being involved with economics, and it has no business being involved with the amelioration of the condition of the poor, the working class, etc. Its sole business, which it should rigorously prosecute, is being a delegated monopoly of force upholding negative rights, and only negative rights, to form a foundation on which spontaneous social order can arise.

Something for the future.
I sit at your feet, Guru George. That is an interesting analysis. I have been thinking about/working with complex systems and self-organisation, and hadn't thought about this particular example as a case study of command-control vs self-organisation. Thank you.

Really?

Post by Really? »

University of Chicago sends a letter to the Class of 2020 stating that the college is a place where ideas can be exchanged freely, even if they make you uncomfortable and they don't like trigger warnings.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog ... afe-spaces

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:
I will say loud and proud, yes, today I hate men blacks, and will tomorrow and the day after. But only the men blacks who perpetrate these crimes against my sisters whites, and those who do nothing to stop it. Are you in either one of those categories? If so, then I despise you.
But I'll let all those blacks have quad bikes when I put them in a camp, so it will be a holiday camp and not a concentration camp.
Wait, are those quads these?
download (10).jpg
'cause those are pretty awesome. Still, my wife and kids would miss me.
No. I'm afraid they are these.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/ ... 34x473.jpg

dogen

Post by dogen »

Gumby wrote:
dogen wrote: Given that the planet's in the habitable zone, it must be very close to the star. Which means its invariably tidally locked -- the same side always faces the star. That's not great for life, but not terrible either. I'd be more worried about the atmospheric activity of the star; flares, CME's etc aren't going to be good for living things.
Wouldn't flares and CME's be reduced in both frequency and intensity in a red dwarf, so that in effect it balances out to be about the same as a planet orbiting in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star (i.e. further away)?
I'm not an expert on K- and M-dwarfs (my specialty is massive stars), but my understanding is that they're often *more* active than the Sun. Something to do with stronger magnetic fields, which may be a consequence of their deeper envelope convection zones.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote: I can't trust one of you to re-post them here? Spoons, people!
I know you're joking but if anyone did post them here I would be deleting them pronto. Posting those pics isn't "free speech", it's rubbing salt in the wound of someone who has been really fucked with lately.

Of course, the FT thinks I'm too "sensitive", so he might just overrule me on that one. Again.
Fuck you I am a rebel!!!

http://i.imgur.com/z9bJgyo.jpg
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Wonder if Gawker have an opinion on the latest leak involving Leslie Jones?

Not exactly sure why she would keep nudes and more intimate shots of herself on her own website.
I understand some actors/actresses need to assess their assets, so to speak. If you're going to be asked to do a scene wherein you'll be showing your bod, it might be a good idea to know what you can show, how to work on it and how it will reflect on you. In Jones' case I have no idea, as I doubt that those sort of scenes would be asked of her. Let alone the sexual acts. Likely just vain, seems to go with the territory.

That being said, it is awful that somebody would violate her privacy like that. WTF does it do, other than reinforce the worst notions of feminism? Why would anybody want to humiliate her like that? The fuckers that did it should be prosecuted. It was wrong when Gawker did it to Hogan, it's just wrong hacking Jones. Although I feel certain Gawker would attempt to justify Hogan because he's a man and patriarchy and feelz.
Not looked into this story at all but I doubt she had nudes on her site. I suspect that her phone was hacked and that is where the nudes were and I bet that is where they got the passwords for her website.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I've seen them. If you haven't you don't know what you are missing. :P

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Well. Went and looked at those Leslie Jones pics.

:shock:

Somewhat more explicit than I was expecting. Call me a callous old victim-blamer if you will...but why would anyone store material like that of themselves on the cloud? Shit gets hacked a lot, and if there's stuff you seriously don't want out in the public, then don't store it in the hacker's equivalent of the fattest cookie jar around.

I'm not buying the theories that she wanted those pics out the for the publicity. Nudes are one thing, those...are way too humiliating. My best guess is that uploading to the iCloud might be automated (I say might be, as I don't use an iPhone, so don't know), and Leslie didn't realise this.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Really? wrote:University of Chicago sends a letter to the Class of 2020 stating that the college is a place where ideas can be exchanged freely, even if they make you uncomfortable and they don't like trigger warnings.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog ... afe-spaces
That is a refreshing read. Gives me some hope that other Universities will follow suit.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

comhcinc wrote: Not looked into this story at all but I doubt she had nudes on her site. I suspect that her phone was hacked and that is where the nudes were and I bet that is where they got the passwords for her website.
From what I can gather, the pics were stored in the iCloud. Both that and her site were hacked, and the pics were posted on her site.

free thoughtpolice

Tigzy is a callous old victim blamer.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

dogen wrote:
Gumby wrote:
dogen wrote: Given that the planet's in the habitable zone, it must be very close to the star. Which means its invariably tidally locked -- the same side always faces the star. That's not great for life, but not terrible either. I'd be more worried about the atmospheric activity of the star; flares, CME's etc aren't going to be good for living things.
Wouldn't flares and CME's be reduced in both frequency and intensity in a red dwarf, so that in effect it balances out to be about the same as a planet orbiting in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star (i.e. further away)?
I'm not an expert on K- and M-dwarfs (my specialty is massive stars), but my understanding is that they're often *more* active than the Sun. Something to do with stronger magnetic fields, which may be a consequence of their deeper envelope convection zones.
After I asked that I read an article that supports your statement - saying that Proxima is very active and that could pose a large obstacle to life forming on the newly discovered planet. But it doesn't rule out life entirely, there are other factors in play. For example, if the planet HSS a magnetic field, that could block a lot of radiation. Also, if the planet spent its formative years farther from its sun, life could have developed and adapted when the planet moved closer. Fascinating stuff.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Tigzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Not looked into this story at all but I doubt she had nudes on her site. I suspect that her phone was hacked and that is where the nudes were and I bet that is where they got the passwords for her website.
From what I can gather, the pics were stored in the iCloud. Both that and her site were hacked, and the pics were posted on her site.
That seems to be the case. Nobody thought she would store them on her website. Even actors have some brain activity. Hacking her website to put them up was just deliberate, unforgivable cruelty.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pizzle sounds like a total dickhead in that Smalley podcast.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/smalleyan ... id-smalley

Smalley wants us to be united and not to disown each other. "Work it out in a more civil manner. But you literally say in your article, Fuck Civility."

And Peez immediately goes into a defense of dickheadery and divisiveness.

Smalley hasn't yet allowed for the possibility that the "offensive" speech wasn't.

Billie from Ockham

free thoughtpolice wrote:
I've seen them. If you haven't you don't know what you are missing. :P
Here's what's weird, given the parallel conversation about K- and M-dwarf stars. When you google "naked leslie jones" you get a bunch of pictures of her running around in the woods with Peter Dinklage. Not pleasant.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:Well. Went and looked at those Leslie Jones pics.

Somewhat more explicit than I was expecting. Call me a callous old victim-blamer if you will...but why would anyone store material like that of themselves on the cloud?
Apparently many people, despite all the scary news stories about hacking, don't get how routinely shit gets hacked. They blindly trust things like Teh Cloud. "Uploading to the cloud" sounds so much safer than "putting your stuff on somebody else's computer". The only things I put on the cloud are photos, and not nudes :lol:

Education is the key, but most people don't want to be bothered with that. All they see is gigabytes of free storage. I know people (seniors mostly), who just think of everything they do online as just being on their computer. They don't know where their computer ends and the internet begins. Trying to teach these people about cloud storage and its vulnerabilities seems a waste of time.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Gumby wrote:
dogen wrote:
Gumby wrote: Wouldn't flares and CME's be reduced in both frequency and intensity in a red dwarf, so that in effect it balances out to be about the same as a planet orbiting in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star (i.e. further away)?
After I asked that I read an article that supports your statement - saying that Proxima is very active and that could pose a large obstacle to life forming on the newly discovered planet. But it doesn't rule out life entirely, there are other factors in play. For example, if the planet HSS a magnetic field, that could block a lot of radiation. Also, if the planet spent its formative years farther from its sun, life could have developed and adapted when the planet moved closer. Fascinating stuff.
And, if the planet is tidally locked, then organisms living on the darkside would have shielding from the star. Of course, the downside is that it would be cold as space (barring heat redistribution by atmospheric circulation); but conditions in the twilight zone may be tolerable.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Gumby wrote:

Somewhat more explicit than I was expecting. Call me a callous old victim-blamer if you will...but why would anyone store material like that of themselves on the cloud?
Apparently many people, despite all the scary news stories about hacking, don't get how routinely shit gets hacked. They blindly trust things like Teh Cloud. "Uploading to the cloud" sounds so much safer than "putting your stuff on somebody else's computer". The only things I put on the cloud are photos, and not nudes :lol:

Education is the key, but most people don't want to be bothered with that. All they see is gigabytes of free storage. I know people (seniors mostly), who just think of everything they do online as just being on their computer. They don't know where their computer ends and the internet begins. Trying to teach these people about cloud storage and its vulnerabilities seems a waste of time.
So what you're saying is that there are millions of seniors out there who have no idea how easy it would be for me to get their nude pictures?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:

That makes sense to me. iCloud has proven to be very unsecure. I don't know but it seems like google's services are more secure. I could be wrong, maybe in Hollywood people only use iphone but I can't think of a major hack of google photos.

Anyway I think it's a shitty thing to do. Jones is kinda of a cunt but she doesn't deserve this at all. She was in a shitty movie that she defended, she has some dumb opinions and that's it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Does anyone know if an iPhone defaults to uploading your pics on the iCloud? Because I can foresee a very nasty lawsuit coming Apple's way if that's the case.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:Pizzle sounds like a total dickhead in that Smalley podcast.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/smalleyan ... id-smalley

Smalley wants us to be united and not to disown each other. "Work it out in a more civil manner. But you literally say in your article, Fuck Civility."

And Peez immediately goes into a defense of dickheadery and divisiveness.

Smalley hasn't yet allowed for the possibility that the "offensive" speech wasn't.
Couldn't make it through. Little Paul's voice grates like a wood rasp to the testicles. He sounds like somebody trying to be a voice actor for an obnoxious teenage boy in a cartoon after-school special.

Also PZ's lies and arrogance just bleed through. I'm just sad that Smalley gave time to somebody that needs to forgotten. Instead he is the lingering odor of dog shit on the soles of boots.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Really? wrote: So what you're saying is that there are millions of seniors out there who have no idea how easy it would be for me to get their nude pictures?
That's right! Go get'em, Tiger! A veritable wonderland of wrinkles, hemorrhoids and gray grizzled pubes awaits!

Really?

Post by Really? »

This is funny from the Smalley podcast. Smalley says we might not want to knee-jerkedly reject people if they say one thing we don't like. We should consider people more holistically. Peezle says around 31:00:

"Are you insinuating that I don't research things before I make my accusations?"

:bjarte:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

comhcinc wrote:.

Anyway I think it's a shitty thing to do. Jones is kinda of a cunt but she doesn't deserve this at all. She was in a shitty movie that she defended, she has some dumb opinions and that's it.
This. All this abuse because of a stupid movie. I hope whoever did this gets caught and serves time.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:

While education is important and I agree that people need a better understanding of what they are doing online I think cloud service providers need to do a much better job of providing security.

Apple really has no excuse. They have always been able to convince people that what every they do is the best thing evar. People are not going to give up their iphones if they are required to take more steps to secure their data.

Btw I am still looking but I am not seeing any reports of big google photo hacks. I am looking because that is where my phone backs up all my photos include my choicest filthy nakked pictures of myself.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:Does anyone know if an iPhone defaults to uploading your pics on the iCloud? Because I can foresee a very nasty lawsuit coming Apple's way if that's the case.

Yes it does. Or least it did the last time I looked at one last year.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Really? wrote:This is funny from the Smalley podcast. Smalley says we might not want to knee-jerkedly reject people if they say one thing we don't like. We should consider people more holistically. Peezle says around 31:00:

"Are you insinuating that I don't research things before I make my accusations?"

:bjarte:
Yes, his accusation that Michael Nugent was harboring rapists on his blog was certainly thoroughly researched before he said it. Lying asshole.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:
comhcinc wrote:.

This. All this abuse because of a stupid movie. I hope whoever did this gets caught and serves time.

I am not sure I am quite willing to make that statement because I think there is a good chance this was done by teens.

If the people turn out to be over 25 then I agree with you 100%.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I would like to see your garage. So few even have so much as a timing light anymore.
You really are as old as I am to even think of a timing light. With that said, my garage is boring these days. I always have only one car, selling it before starting the new one, and the latest is just getting started.
In the early 1980's I was stupid enough to buy a Triumph TR7, which events showed to have been one of British Leyland's famous 'Friday afternoon cars.' It wouldn't run in the cold, and no end of garages attempted to adjust the timing without success. One day it stopped in a grotty area of north east London, and I coasted into a backstreet garage staffed by a couple of Pakistanis. Very lucky for me, as they paid no attention to the incorrectly placed timing marks and made it run perfectly. Evidently there is something to be said for learning your trade at the dusty side of a busy road in Bombay. My father showed me how to adjust the points in a distributor and I learned more than I ever wanted about float carburetors from my BSA, and all of that knowledge is now useless thanks to electronic ignition and fuel injection. Can't say I'm sorry though.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:
Really? wrote: So what you're saying is that there are millions of seniors out there who have no idea how easy it would be for me to get their nude pictures?
That's right! Go get'em, Tiger! A veritable wonderland of wrinkles, hemorrhoids and gray grizzled pubes awaits!
http://i.imgur.com/7Ws0N6M.png

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Speaking of Michael Nugent, he has an excellent post up on Islamophobia and The crappy Demos twitter research
The Demos UK Think Tank has produced a well-intentioned report about tweets that express prejudicial dislike of Muslims because of their faith. This could have been a more useful project, if the report had highlighted its findings in a more balanced way, and had not unwittingly used the Islamist propaganda word ‘Islamophobia’ to misdescribe the anti-Muslim prejudice that it was researching.

Instead, the report generates a misleading panic about the extent of even its own flawed definition of ‘Islamophobia’, it fails to highlight that the vast majority of tweets about jihad, terrorism and hijabs do not display anti-Muslim prejudice, and it conflates reasonable and necessary criticism of Islam with anti-Muslim prejudice under the common term ‘Islamophobia’.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/08/24 ... /#comments

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I'm sure there is a story,but I don't know what it is.

http://i.imgur.com/aPYuo6H.jpg

And to think when I was a teenager everyone said people would regret those tribal tats.

Really?

Post by Really? »

comhcinc wrote:I'm sure there is a story,but I don't know what it is.

And to think when I was a teenager everyone said people would regret those tribal tats.
That young woman was killed in Orlando's Pulse nightclub shooting.

http://jasonsvoices.com/funnyguy/wp-con ... Harvey.jpg

And now you know the rest of the story.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

HunnyBunny wrote:Speaking of Michael Nugent, he has an excellent post up on Islamophobia and The crappy Demos twitter research
The Demos UK Think Tank has produced a well-intentioned report about tweets that express prejudicial dislike of Muslims because of their faith. This could have been a more useful project, if the report had highlighted its findings in a more balanced way, and had not unwittingly used the Islamist propaganda word ‘Islamophobia’ to misdescribe the anti-Muslim prejudice that it was researching.

Instead, the report generates a misleading panic about the extent of even its own flawed definition of ‘Islamophobia’, it fails to highlight that the vast majority of tweets about jihad, terrorism and hijabs do not display anti-Muslim prejudice, and it conflates reasonable and necessary criticism of Islam with anti-Muslim prejudice under the common term ‘Islamophobia’.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/08/24 ... /#comments
Yeah, well, it's Demos isn't it. From wiki:
Demos was founded in 1993 by former Marxism Today editor Martin Jacques
In the run-up to the 1997 general election it was seen as being close to the Labour Party, in particular its then leader Tony Blair. It defines itself, however, as independent of any political party.[3] Geoff Mulgan went on to work inside Downing Street in 1997. At that time Demos was seen as central to New Labour's vision for Britain.
The current Chief Executive is Claudia Wood, who joined the think tank in 2009 and previously worked for Tony Blair’s strategy unit.
Basically, another left-wing front group (albeit with a Blairite bent) masquerading as an 'independent' charity. So kiss-assing up to islam is only to be expected.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I'm sure there is a story,but I don't know what it is.

That young woman was killed in Orlando's Pulse nightclub shooting.

http://jasonsvoices.com/funnyguy/wp-con ... Harvey.jpg

And now you know the rest of the story.

Holy fuck that is what Paul Harvey looks like? My mind is rejecting it.

I have seen the president of a large company stop giving a speech to listen to Paul Harvey. I swear you could get away with murder as long as you were willing to do it Harvey was on back in the day.

Billie from Ockham

screwtape wrote:In the early 1980's I was stupid enough to buy a Triumph TR7... {snip}
That car got me a week-long suspension in middle school. They were running that ad that focused on the wedge shape of the body with the tag-line: the shape of things to come. Reminder:

https://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-con ... 7-edit.jpg

Well, in social studies, I drew a penis and added the tag-line: the shape of things that come.

Teachers in the 70s had no sense of humor.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Gumby wrote:I feel really bad for Leslie Jones. She doesn't deserve this shit.
Aw Hell Naw!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Gumby wrote:I feel really bad for Leslie Jones. She doesn't deserve this shit.
Aw Hell Naw!

https://media0.giphy.com/media/pJYYuoyzbYAXS/200_s.gif

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:

No. Don't want that shit here.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Just wait until someone hacks PZ's laptop full of octopus fucking and sea anemone fingering.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:I'm not an expert on K- and M-dwarfs (my specialty is massive stars), but my understanding is that they're often *more* active than the Sun. Something to do with stronger magnetic fields, which may be a consequence of their deeper envelope convection zones.
My 'knowledge' of red dwarves comes mainly from Stephen Baxter's Proxima and in that the star is prone to regular flares, and IIRC, the colonists are highly vulnerable to cancers.

The sun is pinkish white and huge from the day side of the planet. Enough heat is conducted by the planet's atmosphere that the dark side might be barely habitable.

I can't remember offhand the term for the point of the planet surface directly under the sun. The planet doesn't spin so there's no equator: the sun lies directly overhead.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Gumby wrote:
The "intent isn't magic" doctrine is probably the most pernicious part of SJW dogma. I had almost forgotten about it, but PZ reminds me how it fundamentally distorts the SJW view of reality. The guts of IIM philosophy need to be ripped out; it's a prescription for human disaster, a rationale for endless conflict. Just what the world doesn't need. Now, I'm willing to admit that there are boundary conditions where something like IIM might make a little sense, like for instance when someone shows up in black-face. But those are cases where public awareness of the perceptions offense are so high that it can be reasonably assumed that the perpetrator really is intentional, or very very stupid.

Keating

Post by Keating »

To be fair, Apple's iCloud has yet to be hacked. All the 'hacks' on it so far have been social engineering ventures where someone works out a user's username and password.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Keating wrote:To be fair, Apple's iCloud has yet to be hacked. All the 'hacks' on it so far have been social engineering ventures where someone works out a user's username and password.
There is no excuse for what happened to her, but Leslie Jones probably shouldn't have set her password as "awhellnaw".

free thoughtpolice

Shatterface wrote:
dogen wrote:I'm not an expert on K- and M-dwarfs (my specialty is massive stars), but my understanding is that they're often *more* active than the Sun. Something to do with stronger magnetic fields, which may be a consequence of their deeper envelope convection zones.
My 'knowledge' of red dwarves comes mainly from Stephen Baxter's Proxima and in that the star is prone to regular flares, and IIRC, the colonists are highly vulnerable to cancers.

The sun is pinkish white and huge from the day side of the planet. Enough heat is conducted by the planet's atmosphere that the dark side might be barely habitable.

I can't remember offhand the term for the point of the planet surface directly under the sun. The planet doesn't spin so there's no equator: the sun lies directly overhead.
Life underground. Or at geothermal vents? The habitable zone is near the outer edges of the sunlit area. Do they have one of those on NMS?

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Hunt wrote:
Gumby wrote:
The "intent isn't magic" doctrine is probably the most pernicious part of SJW dogma. I had almost forgotten about it, but PZ reminds me how it fundamentally distorts the SJW view of reality. The guts of IIM philosophy need to be ripped out; it's a prescription for human disaster, a rationale for endless conflict. Just what the world doesn't need. Now, I'm willing to admit that there are boundary conditions where something like IIM might make a little sense, like for instance when someone shows up in black-face. But those are cases where public awareness of the perceptions offense are so high that it can be reasonably assumed that the perpetrator really is intentional, or very very stupid.
If it were just a question of, "Come on dude, think what you're saying, don't be an ass", that would be liberal, that would be the amount of the SJW thing that I support. To the extent that "political correctness" started in the 90s as just this kind of recommendation, I supported it then, and still support it to that degree.

IOW, so long as it's a question of politeness and civility, then I'm all for it, and I even think we do still have a way to go. (For example, I found myself being irritated by the causal mention of Theresa May's - British PM's - "trademark kitten shoes" or whatever the fuck they're called, in a newspaper a few months ago. I mean, what is this, the fucking 1970s?)

The tragedy is that this perfectly reasonable and correct thing about civility and politeness is transmogrified by the quasi-religious ideology of intersectional identity politics into very real, and potentially (if it keeps going the way it's going) dangerous speech-policing.

It makes the words themselves sort of magical, taboo things.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface wrote:

The sub-solar point.

Sounds like an interesting book. Is he the dude who did Titan? I enjoyed that very much.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Keating wrote:To be fair, Apple's iCloud has yet to be hacked. All the 'hacks' on it so far have been social engineering ventures where someone works out a user's username and password.
https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6899 ... anshit.jpg

Said the Apple fan boy ;)

iCloud has had a bunch of high profile hacks. Like I said early Google hasn't. Android controls around 60% market share in the US (it's over 80 world wide) so you would assume that they would be subject to this just as often if not more.

Like I said before Apple is king of convincing people so beefing up security shouldn't be an issue for them.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »