The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I think that the authorities and staff are mostly afraid of the lawsuits of their moms and dads.

I wonder what will happen when those maladjusted childish pretend-victim bullies will be forced to enter the world after university.
It's an interesting proposition - what would you recommend if you were the guidance counselor for one of these individuals?

I'm thinking they could get a job as a stand-up comedian, HR personnel (for a large company), Pop-cultural critic / Pundit, or Academic. Also they could work in the arts (cf Service Dog) or in left wing politics (eg the DNC or Labour party) as a hanger-on, if not a politician.

Other than that they can either marry or hook-up with a rich partner or go back to living on their trust-fund. Though these options may not be available for everyone.

I'm sure the more historically minded on the pit - will see the SJ movement as not wholely without precedent - so it might be interesting to see how society accommodated such people in the past.
Most of them aren't funny enough to be a stand-up comedian, and pop culture critics and pundits are a dime a dozen. They also don't have the skills to be HR personnel. Academia is pretty much the only field where they could work, but that's not for everyone, either.

I think that for most of them it's retail jobs and McDonald's, or even perpetual unemployment and living on benefits.

I predict a huge growth of unemployment figures among college graduates, especially in the humanities, and even lower birth rates among the next generation.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote: On the other hand, you've also got the phenomenon of adult colouring books, which are apparently a massive seller. The last time I was in Easons (big newsagent in Belfast city centre) I was astounded by the amount of shelf space given over to them, and also adult dot-to-dot books. I suppose adult play-doh can't be far away.
If furries and bronies exist then I guess I can't be surprised.

Malky

Post by Malky »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I don't want to google for the stolen pics of Leslie Jones, correct?
I've seen them. If you haven't you don't know what you are missing. :P
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

comhcinc wrote:The other day I heard a great point about the death of Gawker. A lot of people who are upset with it have made the point that it was a billionaire's money that was behind the Hogan suit.

Anyway the point was made was that Gawker had millions of dollars and it would take a billionaire to take them down. Most people who that harmed and attacked couldn't afford to take them to court.

It just proves that for all his issues in the end Hogan is a real American who is willing to fight for the rights of every man.
[youtube][/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
From the article:
Similarly, many universities are creating “safe spaces” where students can relax free from ideas that might be stressful or anxiety-inducing. Among these is Brown University, which last year created a room “with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies” because a debate on sexual assault was taking place on campus.
:doh: :doh: :doh:
I hope the other colleges drag Brown University out to the playground at recess and beat the shit out of it.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Malky wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I don't want to google for the stolen pics of Leslie Jones, correct?
I've seen them. If you haven't you don't know what you are missing. :P
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Depends :shifty:

I've seen them, and I have to say 'what the fuck was she doing uploading those to her website'. No she doesn't deserve it, but she's also outstandingly dumb.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Kirbmarc wrote: I wonder what will happen when those maladjusted childish pretend-victim bullies will be forced to enter the world after university.
Hopefully the process of natural selection will run its course.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Gumby wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: I wonder what will happen when those maladjusted childish pretend-victim bullies will be forced to enter the world after university.
It's already started http://heatst.com/life/intern-dress-cod ... llennials/

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Guy comes home after a gig and says "Honey, I'm going to play you like my guitar."
She says, "Babe, I'd rather you play me like a harmonica."
She wanted to be put in a little stand and blown into as an afterthought?

Women are weird.
[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Gumby wrote:
It's already started http://heatst.com/life/intern-dress-cod ... llennials/
A petition to end a dress code. Can't see why it didn't work out so well. :lol:

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Kirbmarc wrote:A petition to end a dress code. Can't see why it didn't work out so well. :lol:
Well, at least I can spare some sympathy, I'd never work in a position with dress code. Not that they would hired me, tho. But if you're intern maybe don't start union on your first day. :bjarte:

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Today in 'tumblor false equivalences':

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqfaSyHXEAAzMhq.jpg

It' definitely the same people who think these conflicting points, eh.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tigzy wrote:Does anyone know if an iPhone defaults to uploading your pics on the iCloud? Because I can foresee a very nasty lawsuit coming Apple's way if that's the case.
In fact, the iPhone defaults to undressing its owner and then uploading pics of said person in compromising positions with a strange naked other person to the iCloud. Or so my girlfriend said.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

sp0tlight wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:A petition to end a dress code. Can't see why it didn't work out so well. :lol:
Well, at least I can spare some sympathy, I'd never work in a position with dress code. Not that they would hired me, tho. But if you're intern maybe don't start union on your first day. :bjarte:
I have to wear a shirt at work but it's at least 10 years since I ironed one.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Most of them aren't funny enough to be a stand-up comedian, and pop culture critics and pundits are a dime a dozen. They also don't have the skills to be HR personnel. Academia is pretty much the only field where they could work, but that's not for everyone, either.

I think that for most of them it's retail jobs and McDonald's, or even perpetual unemployment and living on benefits.

I predict a huge growth of unemployment figures among college graduates, especially in the humanities, and even lower birth rates among the next generation.
I was trying to use real life examples:
Jamie Kilstean and Rebecca Watson could be broadly described as comedians.

On second thoughts though - there's not much room for political hangers-on. Such positions are generally held by those with enough connections (or privilege) - others would be the first to be thrown under the bus.

I think within the next 5 years there will be crowd funding fatigue, and competition for scant resources will become fierce.

This may be another reason (even if it is only subconscious) for de-platforming. Attention (or notoriety) in the modern age - is just one step away from an income stream.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Shatterface wrote:I have to wear a shirt at work but it's at least 10 years since I ironed one.
There are few things only noobs do:
  • Ironing shirts

Washing windows

Tuning bass guitar

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:Today in 'tumblor false equivalences':

I'd say that all opinions on the right are those of people who want you to less like the left half.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
I have to wear a shirt at work but it's at least 10 years since I ironed one.
I'm sure they have asked you to wear pants too.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Gumby wrote:Biggest piece of shit car I ever had was a 1982 Dodge Omni 024 hatchback. It was horribly engineered and the carburetor would suck up oil vapors, thereby clogging it up. I had to take it in almost weekly to get the carb cleaned out, but even that didn't stop the tendency to stall at every red light and stop sign. When at a red light I always had to shift into neutral and rev the engine until the light turned green. A practice which eventually made the transmission disintegrate. I ended up junking that car, after spending an obscene amount to keep it running. I hope it's being tortured by car satan in car hell.
I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant for my first car. $100. Slant six, push-button transmission. I ran the hell out of that thing for four years, only repair was fixing a radiator leak. Lotta memories from that old thing. Wish I still had it.
My mom had one too. Couldn't kill it.( she had the column shift)
Those were very good cars. My Dad drove a 72' Valiant for a while. Bought it new. Wasn't fancy, but a very reliable vehicle.( got totaled in 77', the old man walked away without a scratch.)

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Gumby wrote:
comhcinc wrote:.

Anyway I think it's a shitty thing to do. Jones is kinda of a cunt but she doesn't deserve this at all. She was in a shitty movie that she defended, she has some dumb opinions and that's it.
This. All this abuse because of a stupid movie. I hope whoever did this gets caught and serves time.
Just to set the record straight, this wasn't because of the shitty movie. Jones has a history of making racist comments on twitter, not massively black supremacist kill whitey stuff, but definitely the kind of things whites couldn't get away with saying about blacks. She was confrontational and abusive and it was reported that she had several "twitter meltdowns". She certainly didn't go out of her way to avoid the trolls.
According to hacked and leaked emails, it seems that Twitter responded to this by banning over 200 Twitter accounts, including Milo's.

So as far as I can see, the interwebs feel that Twitter didn't behave in an even handed way and showed special and preferential treatment to Jones while punishing Milo and others which is true to form.

The hackers addressed their taunting to @Jack on the hacked page, not to Jones. However, she is not just collateral damage, she is believed to have behaved badly, so it is her hypocrisy which is being punished too.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:I'm sure there is a story,but I don't know what it is.

http://i.imgur.com/aPYuo6H.jpg
I would be ok with that if she added the line "(Leave your religion behind)".

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Jack Wooster wrote:
dogen wrote:
Sounds like an interesting book. Is he the dude who did Titan? I enjoyed that very much.
I really enjoyed Titan and mean't to get round to reading more of his books, so far the only one I have is The Wheel Of Ice and that's beacause it's a Doctor Who story. He does do a good job with the characters of the Second Doctor and Jamie
Alastair Reynold's Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) novel, Harvest of Time, is fun too.

Baxter and Reynolds are hard-SF writers I wouldn't have suspected would be able to write stories set in a fictional universe where the science rarely rises above the level of reversing the polarity of the neutron flow but they manage to sneak in some interesting ideas and Reynold's characterisation of the original Master (Roger Delgado) is spot on.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

They also don't have a single fucking clue about France and its culture. Those things on the right look way more USA. Fucking morons!

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:

I'd say that all opinions on the right are those of people who want you to less like the left half.
It's posted with a kind of smugness that says 'these are the expectations placed upon women's bodies by men', as if those expectations are equal and applied universally. It's boiling down a complicated set of circumstances to make a self-satisfied point about how awful men are.
Never mind that the culture of western beauty standards is not the basis from which people object to islamic dress codes by and large.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For some reason this clip comes to mind:

[youtube][/youtube]

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

screwtape wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I would like to see your garage. So few even have so much as a timing light anymore.
You really are as old as I am to even think of a timing light. With that said, my garage is boring these days. I always have only one car, selling it before starting the new one, and the latest is just getting started.
In the early 1980's I was stupid enough to buy a Triumph TR7, which events showed to have been one of British Leyland's famous 'Friday afternoon cars.' It wouldn't run in the cold, and no end of garages attempted to adjust the timing without success. One day it stopped in a grotty area of north east London, and I coasted into a backstreet garage staffed by a couple of Pakistanis. Very lucky for me, as they paid no attention to the incorrectly placed timing marks and made it run perfectly. Evidently there is something to be said for learning your trade at the dusty side of a busy road in Bombay. My father showed me how to adjust the points in a distributor and I learned more than I ever wanted about float carburetors from my BSA, and all of that knowledge is now useless thanks to electronic ignition and fuel injection. Can't say I'm sorry though.
I owned a number or British 2-seaters, mine ran beautifully through the winter when set up right, (but tended to overheat in the summer).
My local garage used to hook my car up to a big red machine which looked a bit like a heart monitor to try and tune it and they could never get it running quite right. The old boy who I used to take my cars to who could fix them listened to the engine through a length of garden hose. I'm still not sure if this had a practical purpose or was just showmanship, but whatever he did seemed to work.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Shatterface wrote:
Jack Wooster wrote:
dogen wrote:
Sounds like an interesting book. Is he the dude who did Titan? I enjoyed that very much.
I really enjoyed Titan and mean't to get round to reading more of his books, so far the only one I have is The Wheel Of Ice and that's beacause it's a Doctor Who story. He does do a good job with the characters of the Second Doctor and Jamie
Alastair Reynold's Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) novel, Harvest of Time, is fun too.

Baxter and Reynolds are hard-SF writers I wouldn't have suspected would be able to write stories set in a fictional universe where the science rarely rises above the level of reversing the polarity of the neutron flow but they manage to sneak in some interesting ideas and Reynold's characterisation of the original Master (Roger Delgado) is spot on.
That's another book added to my must read list then. I love the original Master, although the new one is pretty good too, anything but Julia Roberts brother.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

DrokkIt wrote:It's posted with a kind of smugness that says 'these are the expectations placed upon women's bodies by men', as if those expectations are equal and applied universally. It's boiling down a complicated set of circumstances to make a self-satisfied point about how awful men are.
Never mind that the culture of western beauty standards is not the basis from which people object to islamic dress codes by and large.
You could more accurately change the text to highlight SJW hypocrisy.

Write 'Such diversity! So modest! Avoids male gaze!' on the left and 'Sex positive! Free the nipple! Go girl!' on the right.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

feathers wrote:Do they still have these ones, or do they use some form of laser-optic distance measuring?

http://www.toolware-gereedschap.nl/images/6547870.jpg
Oddly enough, those are now more important than before, because forced induction makes the gap more important. So, Yes.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

PZ's response post to the Smalley debate is really rich:
No one does what Smalley suggests! This really irritates the pragmatist in me. I am the target of a lot of hate — in fact, the comments on Smalley’s podcast are largely expressions of frustration and irritation with me — and would you be surprised to learn that none of them have called me up or even emailed me to ask what I was thinking, or to chat one-on-one about our shared humanity? Not one! They just go ahead and publicly express their disagreement without consulting me!
Hey PZ, a lot of the people who hate you were once mystified by your curious descent into madness, attempted to intervene on your blog, and were summarily banned. Now you want them to call you? Like you're going to take that call. This is the problem with closing yourself of into your own insular nuthouse. Pretty soon you're only talking with the other patients.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

They also don't have a single fucking clue about France and its culture. Those things on the right look way more USA. Fucking morons!
We all live in America. Especially when we don't.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Re: that planet they have found, Proxima.

It reminds me of another similar story from a year or so ago, and the BBC interviewed some scientist about the implications of discovering these types of "Goldilocks" planets.

The BBC presenter actually asked (paraphrasing) "So, is it possible humans could be living there", obviously displaying a complete lack of knowledge about evolution. Can't remember what the scientist said in response, but he was very polite about it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:PZ's response post to the Smalley debate is really rich:
No one does what Smalley suggests! This really irritates the pragmatist in me. I am the target of a lot of hate — in fact, the comments on Smalley’s podcast are largely expressions of frustration and irritation with me — and would you be surprised to learn that none of them have called me up or even emailed me to ask what I was thinking, or to chat one-on-one about our shared humanity? Not one! They just go ahead and publicly express their disagreement without consulting me!
Hey PZ, a lot of the people who hate you were once mystified by your curious descent into madness, attempted to intervene on your blog, and were summarily banned. Now you want them to call you? Like you're going to take that call. This is the problem with closing yourself of into your own insular nuthouse. Pretty soon you're only talking with the other patients.
If anyone ever did ring Peezus he'd call it harassment and call the cops.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I think that the authorities and staff are mostly afraid of the lawsuits of their moms and dads.

I wonder what will happen when those maladjusted childish pretend-victim bullies will be forced to enter the world after university.
It's an interesting proposition - what would you recommend if you were the guidance counselor for one of these individuals?

I'm thinking they could get a job as a stand-up comedian, HR personnel (for a large company), Pop-cultural critic / Pundit, or Academic. Also they could work in the arts (cf Service Dog) or in left wing politics (eg the DNC or Labour party) as a hanger-on, if not a politician.

Other than that they can either marry or hook-up with a rich partner or go back to living on their trust-fund. Though these options may not be available for everyone.

I'm sure the more historically minded on the pit - will see the SJ movement as not wholely without precedent - so it might be interesting to see how society accommodated such people in the past.

I'm not so sure about that, you know. I think that there's an analogy to the priesthood - there are going to be jobs for these people, jobs usually involving making up rules for other people.

I think the "they'll learn when the get into the real world" argument is missing the point: they are changing the real world and making it over into their own image.

The problem is that all this "priestly" activity is sucking money from the economy. Essentially, it works out that actually productive people are paying off state debt and paying the price of hidden inflation, to fund these idiots' latte-sipping lifestyle, with the horrible irony being that their job is to make up bogus, time-wasting rules for said productive people to follow.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Shatterface wrote:If anyone ever did ring Peezus he'd call it harassment and call the cops.
Mykeru did and Pyt fucked him into ground (the facts in this sentence may be wrong).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sp0tlight wrote:
Shatterface wrote:If anyone ever did ring Peezus he'd call it harassment and call the cops.
Mykeru did and Pyt fucked him into ground (the facts in this sentence may be wrong).
Mykeru didn't call Myers, he called UMM's HR.

The Amazing Atheist called him, though, and his reaction was posted here a couple of days ago.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:
Mykeru didn't call Myers, he called UMM's HR.

The Amazing Atheist called him, though, and his reaction was posted here a couple of days ago.
He was also contacted via email, politely even, and was an enormous asshole. A rectal singularity if you will. :hankey:

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:It's posted with a kind of smugness that says 'these are the expectations placed upon women's bodies by men', as if those expectations are equal and applied universally. It's boiling down a complicated set of circumstances to make a self-satisfied point about how awful men are.

Write 'Such diversity! So modest! Avoids male gaze!' on the left and 'Sex positive! Free the nipple! Go girl!' on the right.
Your wish is my command.

http://i.imgur.com/qJRAoxy.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Not unless they are from about 25 years and 100 less pounds ago.
Considering what's depicted in one photo, I'm surprised she's not more popular with the boys.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

4vP0rtN.jpg
Anyone else think that monkey looks like Christopher Walken?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

DrokkIt wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Your wish is my command.

:clap:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Every response to the Smalley/Peez discussion outside of FTB has been "couldn't finish" or "you [David] are far more patient than I."

Here's hoping this blows up some more because Peez's performance did not do him any favors. In fairness, I don't think PZ could make a convincing case for water being wet.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

paddybrown wrote: On the other hand, you've also got the phenomenon of adult colouring books, which are apparently a massive seller. The last time I was in Easons (big newsagent in Belfast city centre) I was astounded by the amount of shelf space given over to them, and also adult dot-to-dot books. I suppose adult play-doh can't be far away.
MIndfulness coloring books are popular, and are often recommended (prescribed?) in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. The simple concentration involved does seem to have a calming effect on agitated minds prone to runaway, negative thought patterns.

If I'm riding an agitated horse who's starting to boil over and maybe spook or bolt, I'll give it some task, say a little lateral or renvers -- just enough to focus it's mind on the here & now. Works like a charm.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

DrokkIt wrote:Your wish is my command.

:lol:

This makes way more sense than the original because there are many people who do hold both conflicting views.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Your wish is my command.

:lol:

This makes way more sense than the original because there are many people who do hold both conflicting views.
The key thing is that disliking a culture and ordering people how to behave is not the same thing.
I don't like islam, but would never tell people what clothes they should wear.

The kind of people sharing the original meme are the same ones who will actively lecture you on your wrong opinions or because you smoke or eat meat or whatever. It's OK to enforce your views on others when they are the Correct Views.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
MIndfulness coloring books are popular, and are often recommended (prescribed?) in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. The simple concentration involved does seem to have a calming effect on agitated minds prone to runaway, negative thought patterns.

If I'm riding an agitated horse who's starting to boil over and maybe spook or bolt, I'll give it some task, say a little lateral or renvers -- just enough to focus it's mind on the here & now. Works like a charm.
I don't think colouring books compare with safe spaces, ball pits, and all that bollocks. It's no more (or less) childish or pointless than, say, playing solitaire, and it doesn't impose a cost on others.

Billie from Ockham

MarcusAu wrote:I was trying to use real life examples:
Jamie Kilstean and Rebecca Watson could be broadly described as comedians.
Nice Spoonerism.

(I assume that you were trying to say that Rebecca Watson could be comedically described as a broad.)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:I think that the authorities and staff are mostly afraid of the lawsuits of their moms and dads.
I wonder where this generation parents went wrong. They must be, what, 40-50 years old, so they were studs in the 80s-90s. What happened?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gumby wrote:I feel really bad for Leslie Jones. She doesn't deserve this shit.

I don't. She's an asshole. She's spent years on Twitter bullying, brigading, calling for doxxing while trolling people who don't follow her particular brand of politics. And when they come back she cries 'racism and misogyny.' She's a bully who hides behind her vagina. And when bullies get their comeuppance, I've got no sympathy.

When Selena Gomez got her photos on the Internet, I had sympathy, as with Jennifer Lawrence, Paris Hilton, Christina Aguilera, Kirsten Dunst, Hayley Williams, Scarlett Johannson, etc., etc., etc. And the same goes for the men (except Orlando Bloom who is clearly an exhibitionist).

But the bullying assholes. Nope. No sympathy. Not even a tiny amount.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

gurugeorge wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Most of them aren't funny enough to be a stand-up comedian, and pop culture critics and pundits are a dime a dozen. They also don't have the skills to be HR personnel. Academia is pretty much the only field where they could work, but that's not for everyone, either.

I'm not so sure about that, you know. I think that there's an analogy to the priesthood - there are going to be jobs for these people, jobs usually involving making up rules for other people.

I think the "they'll learn when the get into the real world" argument is missing the point: they are changing the real world and making it over into their own image.

The problem is that all this "priestly" activity is sucking money from the economy. Essentially, it works out that actually productive people are paying off state debt and paying the price of hidden inflation, to fund these idiots' latte-sipping lifestyle, with the horrible irony being that their job is to make up bogus, time-wasting rules for said productive people to follow.
Yep. They are changing the world.And these (seemingly harmless like "safe spaces") policies are springing up everywhere.
Add 40 years of Identity politics FINALLY coming to power, add the decimation of the middle class, add the widespread abandonment of US working people, and people all over are ready to fight.

The US is a failed social experiment, at this point.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Can't quite get behind this as it seems just be typical feminist whining about "everything is political" and "rape culture."

There are better arguments against the burkini that don't give cover to radfems.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think this year's most ironic story will be that Birth of a Nation will be boycotted by black people because it's black director was accused of raping a white woman.

Unless the same happens with the black director of a remake of To Kill a Mockingbird

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Spike13 wrote:
Gumby wrote:Biggest piece of shit car I ever had was a 1982 Dodge Omni 024 hatchback. It was horribly engineered and the carburetor would suck up oil vapors, thereby clogging it up. I had to take it in almost weekly to get the carb cleaned out, but even that didn't stop the tendency to stall at every red light and stop sign. When at a red light I always had to shift into neutral and rev the engine until the light turned green. A practice which eventually made the transmission disintegrate. I ended up junking that car, after spending an obscene amount to keep it running. I hope it's being tortured by car satan in car hell.
I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant for my first car. $100. Slant six, push-button transmission. I ran the hell out of that thing for four years, only repair was fixing a radiator leak. Lotta memories from that old thing. Wish I still had it.
My mom had one too. Couldn't kill it.( she had the column shift)
Those were very good cars. My Dad drove a 72' Valiant for a while. Bought it new. Wasn't fancy, but a very reliable vehicle.( got totaled in 77', the old man walked away without a scratch.)
We were a Valiant family when I was growing up. First the 1961 Red Valiant. Then we traded that to my uncle (plus cash) for his '61 Blue Valiant that he didn't drive because he preferred his El Camino. Then my dad bought the 1972 Valiant (with the 318) and we had that until 78 when he traded it in for a 1978 Thunderbird piece of crap because my stepmother wanted a Thunderbird.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Gumby wrote:
This. All this abuse because of a stupid movie. I hope whoever did this gets caught and serves time.
Just to set the record straight, this wasn't because of the shitty movie. Jones has a history of making racist comments on twitter, not massively black supremacist kill whitey stuff, but definitely the kind of things whites couldn't get away with saying about blacks. She was confrontational and abusive and it was reported that she had several "twitter meltdowns". She certainly didn't go out of her way to avoid the trolls.
According to hacked and leaked emails, it seems that Twitter responded to this by banning over 200 Twitter accounts, including Milo's.

So as far as I can see, the interwebs feel that Twitter didn't behave in an even handed way and showed special and preferential treatment to Jones while punishing Milo and others which is true to form.

The hackers addressed their taunting to @Jack on the hacked page, not to Jones. However, she is not just collateral damage, she is believed to have behaved badly, so it is her hypocrisy which is being punished too.
To add onto it, this has been going on for years. Ghostbusters wasn't the first. It won't be the last. She trolls then cries victim and gets people in trouble. Classic bullying strategy.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

From a commenter on "Jezebel":

"Except ... safe spaces kinda do exist in the “real” world — in the form of the anti-harassment policies in the workplace. Mine, for example, trains us once a year on how we’re not allowed to discuss race, sex, politics, etc. and gives us tons of examples of “things you probably wouldn’t think twice about saying, but that are really NOT OK to discuss in the workplace.” The idea is that you need to create a space where EVERYONE can be comfortable coming in and doing their jobs and collecting their paycheck. The modern workplace is more of a “safe space” than college will ever be. "

People wonder where this came from? It came from when traditionalists and feminists teamed up to write law based on McKinnon's ideas about institutionalized power, male oppression, and etc.

Sexual harassment law COULD have been written with some concern for male sexual psychology , some concern for equality before the law (current standard 'reasonable woman'), some concern for free speech that offends (protecting most jokes, esp ones not aimed at someone) that sort of thing.

Instead we got Orwell.
The adults on here adjusted (including myself) convincing ourselves that we were being 'professional', and I guess the tighter the standard, the more professional we could be.

A whole section of the 'real world' - where men and women had met &dated for over a century, was taken out of the real world and declared to be made a utopia where no woman (esp) would be made to feel any discomfort by any action, saying, demand, or request from her male counterparts. Blurred lines everywhere, and eventually we get what we have today: a legal apparatus that empowers the most sensitive and most virtue signalling, whilst placing the livelihoods of many men (and some women) at jeopardy to chance and popularity. A system that empowers employers(to be fair, with the legal gun to their head and the threat of bad publicity they have little or no choice either) to treat their staff LIKE robots , no wonder they will be replaced BY robots in the next decade or two.

Many people approve of the Sexual Harassment laws. Look!, they cry. It hasn't led to the end of the world! And certainly you don't want vulnerable people (aka women) to be forced to sleep with their bosses do you?

Of course not. As I said, sensible laws and regulations could have been promoted. Instead we get workplace totalitarianism. Sorry, but I disapprove, and I wish more of you did as well.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tribble wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Gumby wrote:

To add onto it, this has been going on for years. Ghostbusters wasn't the first. It won't be the last. She trolls then cries victim and gets people in trouble. Classic bullying strategy.
Yep, "crybully" was invented just for this.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Lsuoma wrote: Yep, "crybully" was invented just for this.
Yeah but of you say 'crybully' then you are clearly altrite. And that is bad because of wrongthought.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:I think this year's most ironic story will be that Birth of a Nation will be boycotted by black people because it's black director was accused of raping a white woman.

Unless the same happens with the black director of a remake of To Kill a Mockingbird
You're the kind of insensitive asshole who still says that The Matrix was written and directed by the Wachowski Brothers, aren't you?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I think this year's most ironic story will be that Birth of a Nation will be boycotted by black people because it's black director was accused of raping a white woman.

You're the kind of insensitive asshole who still says that The Matrix was written and directed by the Wachowski Brothers, aren't you?
Unless someone breaks into my house and overwrites the sleeves of my Blu-ray with a marker pen, they were.