The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
dogen

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by dogen »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The burkini is a symbol of radical islam, nothing to do with the moderates. It is used as a propaganda tool.

Case in point, before the attack, there were seldom any burkinis at the beach in Nice (rarely a few would be seen at the public swimming pool). They started showing up on the beach right after the attack.

Anyone wonder why?

And anyone care to take a second and wonder what that says to a city that is still strongly traumatized?
All that you said is true. But since the burkini is a propaganda tool of radical Islam, making it illegal only feeds into radical Muslim propaganda about a "war on Islam" and "Muslim oppression". There's no practical reason to ban burkinis, it's just an emotional reaction to a series of terrorist attacks.
But is there much doubt that we are at war with Islam?

StarIconGreen
LangIcon
Armageddon Days (Are Here Again)

This song is by The The and appears on the album Mind Bomb (1989).
They're 5 miles high as the crow flies
Leavin' vapour trails against a blood red sky
Movin' in from the East toward the West
With Baclava helmets over their heads, yes!

But if you think that Jesus Christ is coming
Honey you've got another thing coming
If he ever finds out who's hi-jacked his name
He'll cut out his heart and turn in his grave

Islam is rising
The Christians mobilising
The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

It's war, she cried, It's war, she cried, this is war
Drop your possessions, all you simple folk
You will fight them on the beaches in your underclothes
You will thank the good lord for raising the union jack
You'll watch the ships sail out of harbour
and the bodies come floating back

You'll watch the ships sail out of harbour
and the bodies come floating back

But if you think that Jesus Christ is coming
Honey you've got another thing coming
If he ever finds out who's hi-jacked his name
He'll cut out his heart and turn in his grave

Islam is rising

If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
He'd be gunned down cold by the C.I.A.
Oh, the lights that now burn brightest behind stained glass
Will cast the darkest shadows upon the human heart

But God didn't build himself that throne
God doesn't live in Israel or Rome
God doesn't belong to the yankee dollar
God doesn't plant the bombs for Hizbollah

God doesn't even go to church
And God won't send us down to Allah to burn
God will remind us what we already know
That the human race is about to reap what it's sown

Islam is rising

(The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds)

Armageddon days are here again
Armageddon days are here

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

feathers wrote:But is there much doubt that we are at war with Islam?
At the risk of missing your deeper point ... yes, there is doubt because you can't be at war with a religion. You can only be at war with those who follow the particular religion and I don't see any reason to believe that telling people what they can and can't wear to the beach is going to help you win said war. In contrast, I can give you at least one reason why telling people what they can and can't wear to the beach could help you lose a war with the followers of a religion: namely, the added motivation from the feelings of repression.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The burkini is a symbol of radical islam, nothing to do with the moderates. It is used as a propaganda tool.
So what? How does that come close to justifying making it illegal to wear one?
The same way it's illegal to walk down the streets dressed as Hitler.
Not in the US, it ain't.

But the burqua is a tool of oppression against women. it needs to be declared as such, and banned if possible. We must neither accept nor tolerate Islamic mores that clash with our Western ones. Moslems who embrace the former should be ostracized, called-out, told in no uncertain terms that their 9th century bullshit won't fly.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If you are prepared to give a little latitute, then I'm prepared to say that you can be at war with a religion or a philosophy or any set of beliefs.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... nglish/war

It's not an armed conflict but certainly could be described as a sustained campaign or competition of ideas.

If we are to take peoples feelings into account - then I'm sure there are plenty of liberal or non-muslims that have feelings of oppression from being forced to dress to a particular style. And what of the feelings of the general public who feel that this choice is a particularly distasteful one at this time?

If there is an emotional reaction to this - then it is a perfectly understandable one.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

I've just logged in to a building society account, which I hadn't used for a while and was horrified to see that addressed me as "Xir".

I started writing a snarky eMail about political correctness, and then after one sentence remembered that it was me. I'd previously set the settings to make it call me "Xir" as a joke !

Hmmm ... maybe I should get some pills or something !

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

feathers wrote:
You are very licky I hoppened to be pissing by.
A flawless accent they'll never spot you, now to find the portrait of The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

deLurch wrote:Here is the Watson explanation:
https://archive.is/X628y
Rebecca Watson wrote:The total funds raised were $9,606. After 3% + $0.30 per transaction payment processing fees totaling $356.58, the final sum was $9,249.42.
Rebecca Watson wrote:The bill totaled $4,984.22.
Rebecca Watson wrote:After deducting the cost of my legal fees, I’ll be left with $4,265.20 from the fundraiser. I’ll have to pay taxes on the full $9,249.42 that I collected, which I estimate to be $2,312.36 for federal and $739.95 for state, so $3,052.31 total. Yikes.
Rebecca Watson wrote:Still, that leaves a total of $1,212.89 that I’ll have leftover to donate as soon as I get a solid indication that Radford has left me alone for good. As I mentioned previously, all leftover money will go to either anyone else Radford has threatened or the EFF. I’ll post an update once I’m able to do that.
To the best of my knowledge, she never posted a further update about donating that $1,212.89.
You would pay taxes on the NET, not the GROSS, ie, the lawyers fees would be TAX DEDUCTIBLE. As would be any other expense (The remainder she allegedly donated to whatever). Maybe next time, she should also consult an accountant ???

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Dafuq?
Mankini Charity Walkers Branded ‘Paedophiles’ And Pelted With Eggs

Steven Ellis, 41 and brother-in-law Jason Hendry, 22, had planned to walk eight miles from Solihull to Birmingham city centre to raise money for Birmingham Dogs’ Home - but had to be joined by officers after they were attacked as they passed through the Sparkbrook area of the city.

The pair say the police told them their skimpy outfits had caused offence to locals during Ramadan, and that tensions were high due to an upcoming EDL march.
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3713613

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Billie from Ockham wrote: There are now several good studies that show that exposing someone to an intervention that they don't need causes harm. For example, if you (bother to) add a pre-measure to an anti-racism/anti-sexism orientation for college freshmen, you'll find that, while the measures of racism and sexism go down for those who initially scored unacceptably high, the scores go up for those who scored very low. (The current theory is that the intervention is giving the non-racist and non-sexist the signal that they would be more normal if they were racist and/or sexist, so they actually become more of these things during the intervention.)
I'd like to see some data in support of this theory, because my intuition says there are other factors in play which could easily be more important.

The obvious objection is that this effect might have less to do with conformity/authority and more to do with fairness. I know false accusations make me angry in a way that almost nothing else does - and there's a false accusation lurking at the core of any mis-targeted intervention.

And for better or worse, a common response to perceived unfairness is to want to "balance the scales". Indeed, what's in a schadenfreudegasm other than delight at seeing this happen vicariously?

Maybe my intuition here is due to 15+ years of being compelled to undergo annual anti-bias/sensitivity training where, to quote Dennis Leary, the main lesson always seems to be that, "Only white people can be racist." But as bad as this training has been - in one case I actually filed a complaint that the "correct" answer to one of the examples was in fact a serious ethical breach - I think it has tried to actively shied away from presenting racism or sexism as a norm, even when doing so actually sounded pretty silly.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

More on that mankini story above:
Ellis’s wife, Victoria, 36, had followed the pair’s journey in a car along with their five children.

She said: “We had stopped at a supermarket car park to give the dogs a drink as it was a hot day, and we were suddenly surrounded.

“The men were taking off their jackets and threatening to fight Jason. I have seen nothing like it in my life before. The children were terrified as within minutes a crowd of 30 or 40 men assembled and began throwing stones and eggs at us.

“They were shouting at Jason saying that he was a pervert and a paedophile, and one of them called me a ‘dirty white slag’.

“They told us that they hated dogs and told us to get out of the car park. The children were petrified and asked why these people were calling me a slag and what was a pervert.

“One egg narrowly missed hitting my 12-year-old son, Jason, leaving him petrified and even passing cars ended up being hit by the eggs and stones.

“The abuse was appalling. We called the police and they came straight away. I asked the police what they were going to do to help us but they just said it was because of sensitivities over an EDL march and Ramadan.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
deLurch wrote:Here is the Watson explanation:
https://archive.is/X628y
Rebecca Watson wrote:The total funds raised were $9,606. After 3% + $0.30 per transaction payment processing fees totaling $356.58, the final sum was $9,249.42.
Rebecca Watson wrote:The bill totaled $4,984.22.
Rebecca Watson wrote:After deducting the cost of my legal fees, I’ll be left with $4,265.20 from the fundraiser. I’ll have to pay taxes on the full $9,249.42 that I collected, which I estimate to be $2,312.36 for federal and $739.95 for state, so $3,052.31 total. Yikes.
Rebecca Watson wrote:Still, that leaves a total of $1,212.89 that I’ll have leftover to donate as soon as I get a solid indication that Radford has left me alone for good. As I mentioned previously, all leftover money will go to either anyone else Radford has threatened or the EFF. I’ll post an update once I’m able to do that.
To the best of my knowledge, she never posted a further update about donating that $1,212.89.
You would pay taxes on the NET, not the GROSS, ie, the lawyers fees would be TAX DEDUCTIBLE. As would be any other expense (The remainder she allegedly donated to whatever). Maybe next time, she should also consult an accountant ???
There's something fishy about her calculations. If she's paying $2,312 on income of $9606, then she's in a 24% tax bracket. For a single person, she'd have to have a total income in the six figures to be in that kind of tax bracket. Does anyone think that Watson makes at least $100,000/year? :liar:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Shatterface wrote:More on that mankini story above:
Ellis’s wife, Victoria, 36, had followed the pair’s journey in a car along with their five children.

She said: “We had stopped at a supermarket car park to give the dogs a drink as it was a hot day, and we were suddenly surrounded.

“The men were taking off their jackets and threatening to fight Jason. I have seen nothing like it in my life before. The children were terrified as within minutes a crowd of 30 or 40 men assembled and began throwing stones and eggs at us.

“They were shouting at Jason saying that he was a pervert and a paedophile, and one of them called me a ‘dirty white slag’.

“They told us that they hated dogs and told us to get out of the car park. The children were petrified and asked why these people were calling me a slag and what was a pervert.

“One egg narrowly missed hitting my 12-year-old son, Jason, leaving him petrified and even passing cars ended up being hit by the eggs and stones.

“The abuse was appalling. We called the police and they came straight away. I asked the police what they were going to do to help us but they just said it was because of sensitivities over an EDL march and Ramadan.
Imagine if the situation had been reversed and it was a Muslim family attacked. Might get a touch more press.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:But the burqua is a tool of oppression against women. it needs to be declared as such, and banned if possible. We must neither accept nor tolerate Islamic mores that clash with our Western ones. Moslems who embrace the former should be ostracized, called-out, told in no uncertain terms that their 9th century bullshit won't fly.
Et tu, Brute?

Com'on. Pass new laws (if they are needed) to prevent people from ordering adult women to wear or not wear certain clothes, but don't waste your time banning specific pieces of clothing because of their history or associations. The latter is just silly, not to mention a violation of the Establishment Clause when the item in question gets its association from a religion.

Really?

Post by Really? »

feathers wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
It's been just over a year, no lawsuits in sight. Any idea what happened to the legal defense fund?
http://pluckmagazine.com/blog/wp-conten ... ottles.jpg
[youtube][/youtube]

Becky was gonna donate the balance of the funds she collected because she defamed Ben Radford...

But she got high.

She was gonna set up a Quiz-O-Tron...

Then she got high.

Now she's buying a St. Bernard and I know why...

Because she got high.
Because she got high.
Because she got high...

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
The same way it's illegal to walk down the streets dressed as Hitler.
Not in the US, it ain't.

But the burqua is a tool of oppression against women. it needs to be declared as such, and banned if possible. We must neither accept nor tolerate Islamic mores that clash with our Western ones. Moslems who embrace the former should be ostracized, called-out, told in no uncertain terms that their 9th century bullshit won't fly.
Seriously? You support the ban?

Billie from Ockham

BoxNDox wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote: There are now several good studies that show that exposing someone to an intervention that they don't need causes harm. For example, if you (bother to) add a pre-measure to an anti-racism/anti-sexism orientation for college freshmen, you'll find that, while the measures of racism and sexism go down for those who initially scored unacceptably high, the scores go up for those who scored very low. (The current theory is that the intervention is giving the non-racist and non-sexist the signal that they would be more normal if they were racist and/or sexist, so they actually become more of these things during the intervention.)
I'd like to see some data in support of this theory, because my intuition says there are other factors in play which could easily be more important.
The best person to read is Scott Lilienfield. I can look for specifics, if you wish. If you can find a talk on this topic on YouTube, he's a good speaker.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
Rebecca Watson wrote:The total funds raised were $9,606. After 3% + $0.30 per transaction payment processing fees totaling $356.58, the final sum was $9,249.42.The bill totaled $4,984.22.
Rebecca Watson wrote:After deducting the cost of my legal fees, I’ll be left with $4,265.20 from the fundraiser. I’ll have to pay taxes on the full $9,249.42 that I collected, which I estimate to be $2,312.36 for federal and $739.95 for state, so $3,052.31 total. Yikes.Still, that leaves a total of $1,212.89 that I’ll have leftover to donate as soon as I get a solid indication that Radford has left me alone for good. As I mentioned previously, all leftover money will go to either anyone else Radford has threatened or the EFF. I’ll post an update once I’m able to do that.
For heaven's sake no, then she'd also exaggerate the accountant's fees by 100% to get to a rest sum of $200 or so.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

deLurch wrote:
d4m10n wrote: It's been just over a year, no lawsuits in sight. Any idea what happened to the legal defense fund?
I believe she made a post somewhere partially accounting for the money. She claimed some of it went to her lawyer and the bulk of it was consumed by taxes. There was still a remainder that she had claimed she would donate, but I don't recall if she ever posted any proof, much less personal confirmation of a donation.
I heard that her funds when up in smoke.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Heh.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq0EYl1WIAA1aF3.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

You can't expect Myeres to remember the title of a book he spent half an hour assembling from blog posts.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Myers is getting more and more moronic, I see. Anyway, the simple irony of the title compared to the raging lunatic author is a reward in itself.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface wrote:You can't expect Myeres to remember the title of a book he spent half an hour assembling from blog posts.
It's the bit about well meaning good people with whom he shared a culture that cracks me up.

No, Myers, you don't share that culture, because you are a foul, despicable human being despised by all but a diminishing number of hate-fuelled baboons.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Meant to quote Phil, not me.

Now I look like a raging egotist.

I didn't want it to be so obvious.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Jeezus. Burned by one of the two atheists who blurbed his book :lol:

Keep buttfucking yourself, Peez. It's brilliant entertainment.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:Meant to quote Phil, not me.

Now I look like a raging egotist.

I didn't want it to be so obvious.
Are you capable of writing a sentence without "me" or "I" in it? Just askin'.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Shatterface wrote:You can't expect Myeres to remember the title of a book he spent half an hour assembling from blog posts.
and apparently it all was nothing to do with him.
What an Idiot.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

So not only did PZ lazily slap together his book out of recycled blog posts, but he didn't even come up with the name? Don't authors generally get to name their books? I understand reporters generally don't write their own headlines, but book titles? Does Stephen King get to name his books?

Or is PZ just trying to wriggle out of Hemant's brilliant slam? :think:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Peez, busily reliving his schooldays by having no friends.
But face it, Peez. It's over now. You're just a lolcow.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
What an Idiot.
Evidently nobody told this to Greg Laden:
Greg Laden wrote:Atheists come in many varieties. For example, they can be angry like Greta Christina, or they can be Friendly, like Hemant Mehta, or they can be Positive, like all the Atheists in Minnesota. PZ Myers, it turns out, is The Happy Atheist, and all the other Atheists should be happy that he’s about to publish a book by that name.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Did Myerees even select the blog posts, it was that the editor's job?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I didn't know all the atheists in Minnesota were positive. I blame the poly lifestyle.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

mick.png
(30.4 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
:P
Attachments
smile.png
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Gumby wrote:So not only did PZ lazily slap together his book out of recycled blog posts, but he didn't even come up with the name? Don't authors generally get to name their books? I understand reporters generally don't write their own headlines, but book titles? Does Stephen King get to name his books?

They can certainly object to a book title. Wasn't PZ a decade ago proudly calling himself a "new" atheist?

PZ just doesn't want to admit that he is part of a faction because he knows that not many people want to opt into his faction. On the other hand if he owns 'Atheist' he gets to kick people out.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tigzy wrote:Peez, busily reliving his schooldays by having no friends.
But face it, Peez. It's over now. You're just a lolcow.
Nuge doesn't even have to say anything these days, he owns Myers' ass so much.

A retweet and a smiley is all it takes.

If they were in a TV debate all he'd have to do is look at the camera and raise an eyebrow. He's like Eddie Murphy in Trading Places

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I would like to suggest that Slympit add Nugent's face to the smilies.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Gumby wrote:So not only did PZ lazily slap together his book out of recycled blog posts, but he didn't even come up with the name? Don't authors generally get to name their books? I understand reporters generally don't write their own headlines, but book titles? Does Stephen King get to name his books?

He got the Horde to suggest a title.
http://i.imgur.com/AbladJF.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... u-call-me/

http://i.imgur.com/3mybxqA.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... y-atheist/

http://i.imgur.com/1wxaKWw.jpg
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/?s=happy+atheist

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
What an Idiot.
I bet the cunt will actually write a blogpost 'splainin why the book title wasn't actually his idea, and conclude that the last laugh is on him.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

So what? How does that come close to justifying making it illegal to wear one?
I've seen quite a few in Australia. Usually warn by younger women, it means that they can enjoy the water rather than bake in their hot clothes and not get into trouble with their family. I also see it like a gateway drug - the more they taste freedom the more they want.

That's not to say that I can't understand the French sensitivities.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote: He got the Horde to suggest a title.
:lol:

'It wasn't me, it was, uh...Nerd of Redhead.'

Billie from Ockham

VickyCaramel wrote:I would like to suggest that Slympit add Nugent's face to the smilies.
Wouldn't it be better to Photoshop a red polo shirt onto a sea-lion?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Oglebart wrote:
I agree, I'm glad that the French are making a stand against islam's antiquated social rules, they seem to be the only country with any balls at all at the moment. This issue is nonsensical though, there are many better targets and this is a bit of a clusterfuck unfortunately.
I'm surprised that Germany or Sweden hasn't made burkinis mandatory beachwear so as not to alienate their muslim guests.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

InfraRedBucket wrote:

He got the Horde to suggest a title.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... u-call-me/
But he still proposed a "The <blank> atheist" template. There's no wiggling out of this one: PZ Myers admitted that he's secretly an alt-right goon! :lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Tigzy wrote:The burkini ban on the beaches is pure heavy-handedness, and definitely needs to be overturned. ...
The burkini ban is simply politics, showing to your electorate that you're "doing something" against the issues with Islam. It's illiberal, a gift to victimhood narratives and a huge waste of money and of police resources.
<snip>

Those activities require a lot of money and manpower, so even if the arguments about the principles of liberal democracy or about avoiding backlash don't sway you (here's looking at you, Steersman) it's easy to see that by harassing women who are dressed conservatively you're losing time and money that could be devoted to tracking down seriously dangerous people like Anjem Choudary and his ilk.
Eggs and omelettes. Your position looks rather like appeasement. Just finished reading A Man Called Intrepid, the story of the "secret diplomacy and decisive intelligence operations of WW2" by William Stevenson - highly recommended, that included the tale of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich and the subsequent Lidice massacre perpetrated by the Nazis in reprisal. Seems to have been many such cases, several detailed in the book, where the Allies knew that those types of reprisals would be a likely consequence of various guerilla activities, but which were deemed necessary and worth the cost.

War is hell and all that, but rather hard to dispute that that condition is precisely what is the case with Islam and Western secularism (laïcité): a clash of "civilizations". Although the term is hardly applicable to the Islamic world what with Islamic countries generally having the worst human rights ratings. But trying to sugar-coat that fact with blathering about "principles of liberal democracy" - Sir William Stephenson (Intrepid) said "there's a considerable difference between being high-minded and soft-headed" - really only makes the costs that will have to paid to rectify that situation all that much more bloody; ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure, WW2 being a rather stark and relevant example of that.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sister in Law died today. Or maybe yesterday; I can't be sure.

Not even PZ-LOLcow is cheering me up.

Oh well.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote:I would like to suggest that Slympit add Nugent's face to the smilies.
Wouldn't it be better to Photoshop a red polo shirt onto a sea-lion?
:lol: +1 Internets.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:Sister in Law died today. Or maybe yesterday; I can't be sure.

Oh well.
Sorry to hear it; condolences. Life's a bitch and all that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:

"Scott" in the comment #99 actually:
Scott 7 September 2011 at 7:16 am Happy? Content? Bearded?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Tigzy wrote:The burkini ban on the beaches is pure heavy-handedness, and definitely needs to be overturned. ...
The burkini ban is simply politics, showing to your electorate that you're "doing something" against the issues with Islam. It's illiberal, a gift to victimhood narratives and a huge waste of money and of police resources.
<snip>

Those activities require a lot of money and manpower, so even if the arguments about the principles of liberal democracy or about avoiding backlash don't sway you (here's looking at you, Steersman) it's easy to see that by harassing women who are dressed conservatively you're losing time and money that could be devoted to tracking down seriously dangerous people like Anjem Choudary and his ilk.
Eggs and omelettes. Your position looks rather like appeasement.
Yup. Because asking the police to investigate imams is appeasement. What we really need is go after the women in swimsuits. That'll teach'em!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: Eggs and omelettes. Your position looks rather like appeasement. Just finished reading A Man Called Intrepid, the story of the "secret diplomacy and decisive intelligence operations of WW2" by William Stevenson - highly recommended, that included the tale of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich and the subsequent Lidice massacre perpetrated by the Nazis in reprisal. Seems to have been many such cases, several detailed in the book, where the Allies knew that those types of reprisals would be a likely consequence of various guerilla activities, but which were deemed necessary and worth the cost.
Funny that you mention Reinhard Heydrich, a Nazi leader, just after I wrote about targeting leaders and not the common folk...

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Several suggested in the comments , "John" being the first
John
7 September 2011 at 1:22 am
I attempted to read through them all, but gave up. Still, I was surprised to see in the few hundred or so I did see, that: The Happy Atheist had not been suggested. Think of the book The Happy Hooker for one connection, but also PZ’s usual atheistic theme.
Scott
7 September 2011 at 7:16 am
Happy? Content? Bearded?
Will E.
7 September 2011 at 8:01 am
I also submit THE HAPPY ATHEIST, as it hearkens back to something Nabokov said, that one of the great taboos of American publishing was about “the happy atheist who lives a happy and useful life, and dies in his sleep at the age of 106.”
Duckorange
7 September 2011 at 9:06 am
The Happy Atheist
As a bonus, also doubles up as a pub name.
Nemo
10 September 2011 at 3:54 am
“Happy” is my new favorite, especially for the Nabokov reference, but it will work even for those who don’t know it. “Irreducible” is my second choice now.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

"Scott" in the comment #99 actually:
Scott 7 September 2011 at 7:16 am Happy? Content? Bearded?
"John" @ #24 actually.
I attempted to read through them all, but gave up. Still, I was surprised to see in the few hundred or so I did see, that: The Happy Atheist had not been suggested. Think of the book The Happy Hooker for one connection, but also PZ’s usual atheistic theme.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

fucking ninjas.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Maybe they shouldn't have tried to kill Heydrich, they should have tried to ban the swastika, that would have surely helped the Allies to win World War Two much faster.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: <snip>
<snip>
Eggs and omelettes. Your position looks rather like appeasement.
Yup. Because asking the police to investigate imams is appeasement. What we really need is go after the women in swimsuits. That'll teach'em!
Maybe because you're Swiss you have a slightly different perspective from Frenchmen like Phil on egregious and shamelessly manifested symbols of human rights abuses, barbarism, and savagery.

Wonder if you ever looked at that MEMRI TV video clip from a woman Saudi journalist who kind of knocked into a cocked hat the idea that "moderates" aren't culpable, to a not insignificant degree, for the depredations of the "extremists":
Nadine Al-Budair: Whenever terrorism massacres peaceful civilians, the smart alecks and the hypocrites vie with one another in saying that these people do not represent Islam or the Muslims. Perhaps one of them could tell us who does represent Islam and the Muslims.

We witness people competing in an attempt to be the first to prove that everything that is happening has nothing to do with the Muslims, and that the terrorists are highway robbers and homeless alcoholics and drug addicts. We all know that the number of the homeless in Europe is very high. They sleep in the streets and beg for alms, and some of them are alcoholics or drug addicts, but we do not expect these addicts or criminals to even consider coming here and blowing up a mosque or a street in our city. It is we who blow ourselves up. It is we who blow up others.

Why do we shed our own conscience? Why do the sheikhs, the pundits, the journalists, and all the Arab officials insist upon [not] using their conscience when they point to the perpetrators? Don't these perpetrators emerge from our environment? Don't their families belong to our society? Didn't anyone you know - someone from your city, a neighbor, someone from your street, a relative, a nephew, a grandson, a father, or a mother - go to Syria or Iraq to wage Jihad? ....
http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/5436.htm
http://www.memritv.org/clip_transcript/en/5436.htm

Delenda est

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Kirbmarc wrote:Maybe they shouldn't have tried to kill Heydrich, they should have tried to ban the swastika, that would have surely helped the Allies to win World War Two much faster.
http://i.imgur.com/At0F6zM.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

If Myers 'The ______ Atheist' hasn't been tweeted to Hemant is ought to be.

I'm a novice Twatter: I don't know how to link a pic to a retwat but that 'What would you call me?' has to be linked to the 'horrible alt-right' tweet.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The Leslie Jones doxx and privacy violation was ethically messed up. I don't care how hateful someone is, or how much of a crybully they are, if they're not threatening anyone or falsely accusing anyone they don't deserve to be punished, and even those who do those things (which isn't the case with Jones as far as I know, all I've read from her are dumb ideas) should be prosecuted by the justice system, not dealt with by Internet vigilantism.

Doxxing is wrong, people, with no "ifs" or "buts".
Oh yeah? So if you could go back in time and doxx Hitler as a baby, you wouldn't do it?
No, do you honestly believe anyone of us would exist if we changed history that much. Also on a non selfish note progress after the war was quite rapid.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oh well.
Aw, fuck.

I'm sorry, Brive, that's terrible.

Sad days :(

Really?

Post by Really? »

Oh well.
I'm sorry about your sister-in-law. It's not guaranteed to cheer you up, but here's something that always makes me forget my troubles for a minute or two.

[youtube][/youtube]