The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
jet_lagg

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Have I been ninja'd on this? Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali declared anti-muslim extremists by the Southern Poverty Law Center. I knew these guys were clowns after they said Pepe was a hate symbol, but at least that was funny. This is completely fucking outrageous.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Gotta protect those poor, downtrodden Islamic share-croppers of the Mississippi Delta!

And did you know that one in three Appalachian Salafis are victims of hate crime?
I'm too pissed off to laugh about this. Ali is personally named in the death threat pinned with a knife to this guy's chest.

http://www.vkmag.com/sites/fuck/vangoghtelegraaf.jpg

And they just painted yet another target on her back. That the degenerate fuckers can do this while hyperventilating about "violent hate crime attacks" in the same breath defies credulity.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
I'm too pissed off to laugh about this. Ali is personally named in the death threat pinned with a knife to this guy's chest.

http://www.vkmag.com/sites/fuck/vangoghtelegraaf.jpg

And they just painted yet another target on her back. That the degenerate fuckers can do this while hyperventilating about "violent hate crime attacks" in the same breath defies credulity.
Somehow the SPLC cites the death threat against Hirsi Ali as evidence that she's the dangerous extremist...

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote: Somehow the SPLC cites the death threat against Hirsi Ali as evidence that she's the dangerous extremist...
Obviously she's so dangerous that she provokes innocent people to self-defensive murder.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I bought my first Kindle book the other day, and it was Hermann Detering's The Fabricated Paul. I read it overnight. Absolutely fascinating for anyone interested in the history of the early church. And a great bargain at US$3.70. (In contrast, Sticky Dicky wants $25.99 for OHJ on Kindle!)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Carrier's asking hardback prices for his ebook?

I guess it makes some sense. Nobody's going to be picking up a Carrier book as an impulse buy, so he might as well milk the rubes who do read his work for as much as he can.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Sunder wrote:Obviously she's so dangerous that she provokes innocent people to self-defensive murder.
Why not refer to this reaction by its technical name? ... The Bush Doctrine.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The Doctor Strange film does not look all that great:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jet_lagg wrote:Have I been ninja'd on this? Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali declared anti-muslim extremists by the Southern Poverty Law Center. I knew these guys were clowns after they said Pepe was a hate symbol, but at least that was funny. This is completely fucking outrageous.

That is very bad, because the idiot ideologues can now use this "fact" to deny them speaking gigs and undermine the legitimacy of their statements.

Not that it will do any good, but I plan on writing SPLC and then any organization that quotes them.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Sunder wrote:Obviously she's so dangerous that she provokes innocent people to self-defensive murder.
"Next time we get our retaliation in first"

Billie from Ockham

MarcusAu wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
"Next time we get our retaliation in first"
Plus, just because some skinny little dude in a wheelchair with a text-to-speech program says that the arrow of time only points in one direction, that doesn't make it true.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Dog! You back!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Drop what you're doing, NEWS incoming:

http://imgur.com/YU8028V.jpg

Why are the comments open? Does no one care the kid will be traumatized again when his Momma explains them to him?

http://imgur.com/Y7c3bKy.jpg

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/mason-3- ... story.html

Billie from Ockham

If the male child sat to pee and was being rewarded for doing this, then a girl-oriented treat seems entirely appropriate.

Billie from Ockham

Great. I don't bother to quote, because what I'm responding to will be directly above, and what happens? ... new page. Fuck you, God.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Apple has just jumped the shark with the new MacBook Pro.

First, what is this Touch Bar bullshit? Instead of the F-keys, it's a long skinny screen with... touchable buttons... that have different functions for different apps. So, basically fancy F-keys, but you can't feel them, and if something goes wrong then it's more difficult and expensive to fix. Awesome.

I mean, why not replace the whole damn keyboard with a touch-screen? Oh, right, because the touch-screen would just be a more expensive and worse version of a fucking keyboard.

And if that weren't bad enough, they've done away with all ports except the new USB-C and a headphone jack. No normal USB ports, so you can't even use your damn flash drives without buying an adapter. Even the fucking power is USB-C. Why would they do away with the magnetic power cable? Are they mental?

13-inch model starts at $1,800, and it doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card. Almost 2 grand for a 13-inch laptop with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, an i5 processor, and no video card.

:bjarte:

Guestus Aurelius

I guess you can get a new 13-incher without the Touch Bar for $1,500.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

How did the SPLC gain the credibility that seems to be afforded to them? Their declarations seem to make headlines for some reason. I don't get it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Oglebart wrote:How did the SPLC gain the credibility that seems to be afforded to them? Their declarations seem to make headlines for some reason. I don't get it.
The SPLC fights racists and Nazis. That makes them good. Why would anyone oppose an organization that fights Nazis?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Oglebart wrote:How did the SPLC gain the credibility that seems to be afforded to them? Their declarations seem to make headlines for some reason. I don't get it.
PZ Myers and the Horde always quote the SPLC, because they once listed A Voice For Men as a hate group, and SPLC seems to have Grade A status as far as SJWs are concerned.

That's why I reckon FTB and The Orbit will be quiet about calling the SPLC out on their obvious mistake.

Really?

Post by Really? »

It's pretty funny to watch Hillary, who has been an activist for decades, try to relate to the SJW generation of changemakers.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Apple has just jumped the shark with the new MacBook Pro.

First, what is this Touch Bar bullshit? Instead of the F-keys, it's a long skinny screen with... touchable buttons... that have different functions for different apps. So, basically fancy F-keys, but you can't feel them, and if something goes wrong then it's more difficult and expensive to fix. Awesome.

I mean, why not replace the whole damn keyboard with a touch-screen? Oh, right, because the touch-screen would just be a more expensive and worse version of a fucking keyboard.

And if that weren't bad enough, they've done away with all ports except the new USB-C and a headphone jack. No normal USB ports, so you can't even use your damn flash drives without buying an adapter. Even the fucking power is USB-C. Why would they do away with the magnetic power cable? Are they mental?

13-inch model starts at $1,800, and it doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card. Almost 2 grand for a 13-inch laptop with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, an i5 processor, and no video card.

Apple jumps the shark every time they come out with new products. They value design over function. Always have, always will. Now to speak about some of your points.

The touch screen function keys seem like a neat idea. I am going to hold my judgement on that one.

USB C is the future. It's so much better that the older stuff. I am actually shocked they switched to USB C for power. That's awesome. Good on them. Did they drop the ethernet port? That wouldn't be a smart idea.

Price is what is normal for Apple products.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Really? wrote:
The SPLC fights racists and Nazis. That makes them good. Why would anyone oppose an organization that fights Nazis?
Once upon a time, the SPLC did good work fighting genuine racism. Then it lived off its reputation for years and was mostly a fundraising engine. Now, its devolved into a parody of its former self, but many people havent noticed.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I believe I have mentioned these clowns in the past. Go take a look at their financials. Off shore bank accounts in tax havens and net assets of a bit over $300,000,000. Yep 300 million. Also check out the salaries.

https://t.co/eLFQ7iug9V
https://t.co/c3lkCQ6zns

If you believe anything these clowns say without checking it yourself first, you deserve to be scammed.

Basically, they are scammers and they raise funds utilizing scare tactics, and being economical with the truth. But is is all for a higher purpose, which is to provide comfortable incomes in the $300,000 to $100,000 for a chosen few, while the unpaid volunteers do the bulk of the work in telemarketing and fundraising letters etc.

Guestus Aurelius

comhcinc wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Apple has just jumped the shark with the new MacBook Pro.

Apple jumps the shark every time they come out with new products. They value design over function. Always have, always will. Now to speak about some of your points.

The touch screen function keys seem like a neat idea. I am going to hold my judgement on that one.

USB C is the future. It's so much better that the older stuff. I am actually shocked they switched to USB C for power. That's awesome. Good on them. Did they drop the ethernet port? That wouldn't be a smart idea.

Yes, I believe they dropped ALL ports except for USB-C and headphone jack. No ethernet I think.

Also, fuck you for disagreeing with me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

They have done a lot of good work. I mean a lot. They were started around 1970 with the mission to go after the entrenched racist institutions and people in the south.

Where they get in trouble is they have lots of list of extremist groups and people. These tend to get political. They have a lot or money and feel the need to spend it so they hired people to research and make list. The nature of their advocacy attracts extremely left wing people and frankly they often have blinders on.

Oh and they never said A Voice for Men was a hate group. That was a feminist talking point for a long time. They came out and stated that wasn't the case.

One of the things I notice about the Ayaan Hirsi Ali post was the way they report on her FGM. They say "she claims" which is very insulting.

The good thing is there are reasonable people that work there and it's possible that if people attempt to reason with them instead of just being outraged that they will change it. I mean they did for Ben Carson.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
PZ Myers and the Horde always quote the SPLC, because they once listed A Voice For Men as a hate group, and SPLC seems to have Grade A status as far as SJWs are concerned.

That's why I reckon FTB and The Orbit will be quiet about calling the SPLC out on their obvious mistake.
If you have examined the SPLC long enough the correct conclusion is that it is not an obvious mistake. It is consistent with the way they operate.

Whoever is in charge of their propaganda is either a liar, delusional, an ideologue or worse and/or all of the above. The one thing they are not prone to doings is a mistake.

This is a deliberate effort on their part to "sex" up their hate reports. Yes they do have real hate groups and real hate filled people listed, but they keep making up more of the same.

You can not trust them. They lie. Not exaggerate. Lie.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So AndrewV69 are you willfully ignorant or just normally ignorant?

dogen

Post by dogen »

comhcinc wrote:

I don't think MBP's have had a (dedicated) ethernet port for a while. My 13" 2015 model doesn't have one; for wired connections, I stick an ethernet dongle in one of the lightning ports. (Or, when at my desk, I have an external screen, which serves also as the ethernet link).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: Yes, I believe they dropped ALL ports except for USB-C and headphone jack. No ethernet I think.

Lol I love you too. Yeah looked it up and no ethernet. I bet there will be a dongle for that.

I've never been a fan of Apple's products but I where they are going most of the time. I haven't had a chance to look at their new offering, past just checking out the pictures on Engadget, so I am not sure what they are saying about it. I will say I am sure there is a market for these products.

While we are on the subject of Apple shark jumping, I think getting rid of the headphone on their phone is a good idea. At least from the standpoint of pushing tech forward. If you think about it, in ear wearables make a lot of sense, more so than a watch.

What do you, and everyone else think about the new Microsoft Suface Studio?

I am not an artist at all but and I could never justify buying one outside of winning the lottery but I really want one. It seems like they are really trying to change the way we interact with our computers.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

dogen wrote: I don't think MBP's have had a (dedicated) ethernet port for a while. My 13" 2015 model doesn't have one; for wired connections, I stick an ethernet dongle in one of the lightning ports. (Or, when at my desk, I have an external screen, which serves also as the ethernet link).
I haven't seen a MBP in person in forever.

So your 2015 is really like a 2013 because they haven't updated for year.

What do you think about the new MBP?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

SPL wrote:Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a Somali-born activist who says she endured female genital mutilation and fled civil wars and an arranged marriage in Africa. She then moved to the Netherlands and became a parliamentarian for a time. But key parts of the story she told Dutch immigration authorities and the public there turned out to be false — she had never witnessed any civil war, attendees said she was at her wedding despite her claim to have not been present, and her husband paid her way to Europe and later granted her a divorce. Leaving the Netherlands after quitting its Parliament in disgrace, Hirsi Ali became a citizen of the United States, accepting an invitation to join the conservative American Enterprise Institute. Although she now positions herself as an ex-Muslim champion of women’s rights, her anti-Muslim rhetoric is remarkably toxic. In 2007, she told Reason magazine that the West should “defeat” Islam and that “we are war with Islam.” The same year, she said that Islam was “the new fascism” and a “destructive, nihilistic cult of death” in an interview with The London Evening Standard. In 2014, Brandeis University withdrew its offer of an honorary degree for her, saying that it had been unaware of her vitriolic attacks on Islam. While in the Netherlands, she wrote the script for a short and provocative film about women and Islam directed by the Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, who was murdered in the street by a jihadist a short time after its release. The murderer left a note threatening to also kill Hirsi Ali pinned to his victim’s body with a knife.

IN HER OWN WORDS

In her 2007 interview with The London Evening Standard, Hirsi Ali “advo­cated the closing of Islamic schools in the West and said that ‘violence is inherent in Islam,’” according to a later account in The New York Times.

In her 2007 Reason interview, she said, “There comes a moment when you crush your enemy” militarily, and added, “There is no moderate Islam. … [T]here’s really only one Islam, defined as submission to the will of God. There’s nothing moderate about it.” She also told the journal that she had sought to “get rid of” all Islamic schools in the Netherlands while living there.

In a July 11, 2009, essay for the online World Post, Hirsi Ali criticized President Obama for denouncing “Islamic extremism without once asso­ciating Islam with extremism.” She threw cold water on the idea of the U.S cooperating with Muslims in order to battle jihadist extremism.

In an Aug. 18, 2010, Wall Street Journal op-ed, “How to Win the Clash of Civilizations,” Hirsi Ali said that Islam “is at war with America” and wrote that Western civilization “needs to be actively defended” against Islam.

Appearing on the March 23, 2015, edition of “The Daily Show,” she said, “If you look at 70% of the violence in the world today, Muslims are responsible.” Experts said the claim appeared to be bogus, and she later amended it to say 70% of fatalities “were in wars involving Muslims,” including civil wars.
I am kind of amazed that the SPL Center lives in such a bubble that they feel no need to link to proof of their original accusations against her.

I would also like to note she is flagged under the title "Field Guide to Anti-Muslim Extremists."

Hell. I would far rather be a Muslim facing Ali as an "extremist" than to face a Muslim extremist. One uses words, and the other uses guns and bombs.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Steersman wrote: So what that the most recent Muslim depredations have been in Europe? Though I might remind you of Orlando. And 9/11. And we should be precluded from learning from the mistakes of our allies? You think what's happening in Calais, and Nice and Cologne won't or simply can't happen here? Particularly if the percentage of Muslims in the population in the US & Canada increase to that found in Europe. I note that Germany has about 2% Muslims while the US has about 1%, and France has some 5% to 10% Muslims. Never hear of the adage about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure?
We have this little thing called an "ocean" that makes it much harder for Muslims to immigrate here en masse from places like Iraq and Syria. That lets us vet immigrants and refugees from that area carefully, and we do vet them carefully. We don't need your "ounce" of fascism or Donald Trump and his pants-shitting-terror-screeds.

9/11 and the Orlando incident were two incidents in the last 15 years. Both of the organizations who were tied to those people were heavily targeted with US ordinance. That's a better form of prevention than the magical thinking of voting for a blubbering man-child and willing him to make the Muslims go away.
steersman wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Even if we were facing an immigration crisis, Trump's ideas are juvenile and unworkable. We can't just say "Muslims fuck off" and restrict all traffic of them. That would be unconstitutional, and it would be a terrible idea for diplomatic reasons. Trump wouldn't be able to implement his ideas even if he were elected, but thankfully it looks like he'll never have the chance to try.
Horse feathers. Never hear of the population transfer between Greece and Turkey in 1923 that saw some 500,000 Muslims moved from the former to the latter? Know that the principal author of that wound up getting the Nobel Peace prize for his efforts? Know that the US, apparently, deported some 2 to 3 million Mexicans between 1930 & 1954? Hardly what anyone with any knowledge of geopolitics would call "juvenile and unworkable" ideas; they might be unconstitutional, although I think that is decidedly moot. As I've quoted elsewhere (Islam and Islamism thread probably at least), the right to immigrate is not an absolute - countries do have a right to control their borders - and Islam arguably qualifies as a "totalitarian" political ideology which, by the US Immigration and Nationality Act (section 313), precludes naturalization of those subscribing thereto.
Back in 1930 it was legal to run a lunch counter for white patrons only, and women had been allowed to vote for about 10 years. Your examples are from ancient history and neither the law or the societies you are talking about work that way anymore. This paragraph reminds me of the defense that Herman Goering offered at Nuremberg that the US had intentionally genocided the Native Americans, and that people who were aghast at the Holocaust were hypocrites who only cared because Germany did it.

While we are talking absolutes, a precedent is not an absolute defense of a policy. Just ask... Herman Goering.
Steersman wrote:
Old_ones wrote:[.img]http://snappa.static.pressassociation.i ... 00x398.jpg[/img]

^^ Billboard says "Donald Trump can't read this but he's afraid of it anyway". This applies equally well to Steersman.
You think that Churchill and Ibn Warraq, and many others, were given to "attacks of the vapours" when it came to Islam?
You think I give a fuck about your arguments from authority?

Warraq, above, seems to be saying that criticism of Islam is important. That's fine. But you frequently cite him like you did above as a support for your desire to ban Islam, and I doubt he'd even agree with you. If he so much as joked about that off the cuff, you would strip his joke out of context and try to pass it off as a serious quote, because you are intellectually dishonest. You never read the things you cite, so why should I take book recommendations from you, or trust your representations of other people's work?

Finally... Winston Churchill?! :roll:

Yes, if in doubt, mine brainyquote.com. Brilliant Steersman... but I have a checkmate.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -Albert Einstein

Clearly I win, because you know, Einstein. And clearly religion is a good thing because that quote says so.

:lol:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

lol. I developed a hatred of Mac's back in the late 1980s when I was doing GA work for the college of education. (They'd hire accounting students because teacher education students couldn't do the work.). I had, at the time, the most powerful Mac you could get. It was slower than my 25MHz - 396. It shouldn't have been based on the processor. But their shitty operating system bogged it to death.

Over the years my wife's work has required Macs. And it's the same thing over-and-over, except the not only are they slower processor-to-processor to PCs, but they're about 50% more expensive than equally-kitted PC of the same power. And with the PC, you keep your monitor as long as it lasts. My AOC monitor is a decade old and still going strong. Plus you can't really upgrade them very far (if at all).

Oh, and fixing them... For example, the the head-phone jack on her mac died. I bought a USB head-phone jack, but to get it work... It took almost an hour. The she accidently unplugged it and took another half-hour to get it to work again. On a PC... It'd have been plug-and-play and you'd just select you sound output. But the mac, no... They had hide shit... And getting all done in the right order... Oh, fuck...

And, of course, they just decide to fuck you over and obsolete/inconvenience you whenever they decide it's time to move on. Just like they did with the new iPhone and iMac.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

A long time ago they did good work. Now they're a bunch of self-righteous zealots who invent threats and vastly over-hype things to keep the donations rolling in.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think Werleman might be one of the biggest cunts in history.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tribble wrote:

lol. I developed a hatred of Mac's back in the late 1980s when I was doing GA work for the college of education. (They'd hire accounting students because teacher education students couldn't do the work.). I had, at the time, the most powerful Mac you could get. It was slower than my 25MHz - 396. It shouldn't have been based on the processor. But their shitty operating system bogged it to death.

Over the years my wife's work has required Macs. And it's the same thing over-and-over, except the not only are they slower processor-to-processor to PCs, but they're about 50% more expensive than equally-kitted PC of the same power. And with the PC, you keep your monitor as long as it lasts. My AOC monitor is a decade old and still going strong. Plus you can't really upgrade them very far (if at all).

Oh, and fixing them... For example, the the head-phone jack on her mac died. I bought a USB head-phone jack, but to get it work... It took almost an hour. The she accidently unplugged it and took another half-hour to get it to work again. On a PC... It'd have been plug-and-play and you'd just select you sound output. But the mac, no... They had hide shit... And getting all done in the right order... Oh, fuck...

And, of course, they just decide to fuck you over and obsolete/inconvenience you whenever they decide it's time to move on. Just like they did with the new iPhone and iMac.

But tell us how you really feel.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

AndrewV69 wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

If you have examined the SPLC long enough the correct conclusion is that it is not an obvious mistake. It is consistent with the way they operate.

Whoever is in charge of their propaganda is either a liar, delusional, an ideologue or worse and/or all of the above. The one thing they are not prone to doings is a mistake.

This is a deliberate effort on their part to "sex" up their hate reports. Yes they do have real hate groups and real hate filled people listed, but they keep making up more of the same.

You can not trust them. They lie. Not exaggerate. Lie.
Indeed. I'm not under the illusion it actually is a simple mistake. I fear either SJWs or pro-Islamists are behind the decision.

Guestus Aurelius

comhcinc wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote: Yes, I believe they dropped ALL ports except for USB-C and headphone jack. No ethernet I think.

Lol I love you too. Yeah looked it up and no ethernet. I bet there will be a dongle for that.

I've never been a fan of Apple's products but I where they are going most of the time. I haven't had a chance to look at their new offering, past just checking out the pictures on Engadget, so I am not sure what they are saying about it. I will say I am sure there is a market for these products.

While we are on the subject of Apple shark jumping, I think getting rid of the headphone on their phone is a good idea. At least from the standpoint of pushing tech forward. If you think about it, in ear wearables make a lot of sense, more so than a watch.

What do you, and everyone else think about the new Microsoft Suface Studio?

I am not an artist at all but and I could never justify buying one outside of winning the lottery but I really want one. It seems like they are really trying to change the way we interact with our computers.
I think getting rid of the headphone jack on the iPhone is stupid as fuck.

Wow, you're like the anti-me. :x

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: I think getting rid of the headphone jack on the iPhone is stupid as fuck.

Everyone does, but why do you think it's stupid?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

comhcinc wrote:So AndrewV69 are you willfully ignorant or just normally ignorant?
While there appears to be a large discrepancy between Andrew's assertions on the charity's wealth and compensation and what Charity Navigator says https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... orgid=4482 they do list several ex-muslims and organizations that help ex-muslims that should clearly not be listed as "hate groups". Nor do they extend the same courtesy to other religions. Imagine if ex-scientologists or Operation Clambake received the same treatment as the ex-muslims and ex-muslim groups. There is a very clear, prevalent bias going on, which is a very bad thing as the media relies on SPLC quite uncritically.

Guestus Aurelius

Tribble wrote:

Pro tip (because I'm a pro): on Mac, you can quickly change sound input/output by holding option and clicking the volume icon in the menu bar at the top right.

Guestus Aurelius

comhcinc wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote: I think getting rid of the headphone jack on the iPhone is stupid as fuck.

Because, headphones?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think it's about time Apple abolished the screen.

Tell me why that's stupid?

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

I'm not going to get into the plug business. A bag full of dongles being just what I yearn for.

But as far as I'm concerned Apple jumped the shark on laptops a ways back when they decided to stop offering an antiglare screen version. The combination of my sucky eyesight plus often having to work in less than optimal conditions makes a matte finish a necessity.

And spare me the bullshit about how wonderful the retina display is. My retinas probably match up better with CGA resolution at this point.

I'm probably Linux-bound when they drop OS support for the last generation antiglare model. Crap GUI and all.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Because, headphones?
I have had a Nexus 5 for a a couple of years now. Days after I bought the phone it got water damage. One of the speakers and the headphone jack was damaged. So I bought some bluetooth headphones. I never want to go back. I am able to keep my phone in my pocket, or on the charger or fuck in the other room. I never have to worry about tangles. Battery life has never been an issue. I get about 9 hours per full charge.

I think once more people experience a decent pair (and my are not experience at all I think I paid 20 bucks for a refurbished pair off of amazon) of wireless headphones that having a corded pair will no longer be an issue.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:I think it's about time Apple abolished the screen.

Tell me why that's stupid?

You know they don't have a lot of screen in Star Trek. So when the technology gets there I don't think that is necessary stupid.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Because most people don't pay attention. Those that do write stuff like this:

http://cis.org/immigration-splc

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

BoxNDox wrote:
But as far as I'm concerned Apple jumped the shark on laptops a ways back when they decided to stop offering an antiglare screen version. The combination of my sucky eyesight plus often having to work in less than optimal conditions makes a matte finish a necessity.

And spare me the bullshit about how wonderful the retina display is. My retinas probably match up better with CGA resolution at this point.

I'm probably Linux-bound when they drop OS support for the last generation antiglare model. Crap GUI and all.
Apple have always been behind when it comes to accessibility. I have a friend who is legally blind and almost had to sue to use an android based phone for work because apple sucks so hard on that front.

Aneris

Re: SPLC Field Guide to Anti-Muslim Extremists

Post by Aneris »

Shatterface wrote:I think Werleman might be one of the biggest cunts in history.
Interesting how clicquish this all appears. I see in Werleman's timeline, and a favourable quotation on his book by one Max Blumenthal on top, who is equally gleeful about the SPLC list. Mr Blumenthal is also a senior editor at AlterNet. That's the site that publishes Greta Christina (though they also have occasional decent articles). Mr Blumenthal is involved in an AlterNet project called Grayzone Project. Simply following the tweet-crumbs, I find this tweet.
http://archive.is/Ok38W

Now in the SPLC report, you find this passage:
SPLC wrote:But major elements of his story have been disputed by former friends, members of his family, fellow jihadists and journalists, and the evidence suggests that Nawaz is far more interested in self-promotion and money than in any particular ideological dispute.
And this is how the citogensis circle closes. It reminds me of similar cases in atheism and with gamergate, where also a bunch of Regressives circle-quote each other, and aren't even particularily secretive about it.

Basement

Post by Basement »

Really? wrote:
There can be only one reason that someone would oppose an organization that fights Nazis...that the person IS a Nazi!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Pro tip (because I'm a pro): on Mac, you can quickly change sound input/output by holding option and clicking the volume icon in the menu bar at the top right.

Tried that. It wouldn't enable the sound on the jack. So I'd get speakers, no jack. Or no speakers and no jack. It took a lot of messing around deeper in the system properties, but I eventually got it to work.

Meanwhile, it worked fine on my PC. Plugged it in, hooked the headphones up, clicked on my sound-icon and selected the jack and bada-boom, bada-bing sound.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Werleman is now surrounded by a bunch of groupies who often veer into anti-semitism. Also, quite a few of his followers are either fake, or his own sockpuppets.

He is a massive bell-end. One that is infected with an STD.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Oh, and just to complete the shit day for having regressive lefties enable fascists and Islamists, that clown Giles Fraser has done a piece in the Guardian defending CAGE.

Why the fuck can this pro-Islamist, pro-beheading for adultery organisation stuffed with Islamists pull the wool over so many fucking Guardian columnists.

Just fuck the fuck right fucking off, Giles "goat-fucker" Fraser.

Guestus Aurelius

Good news everyone: there's no need to worry about the authoritarian Leftists anymore, at least in academia. Why? Because peer-review, and, well, people with PhD's are smarter than us: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 2972535742

Guestus Aurelius

Hehe, and now he's blocked me (but he had to get the last word in to let me know he was blocking me).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: people with PhD's are smarter than us:
Isn't the real problem that PhDs are suppose to be smarter than use and more and more that doesn't appear to be the case anymore?

Guestus Aurelius

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 2972572243

He still thinks I brought up the topic. He doesn't read very good.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
comhcinc wrote:So AndrewV69 are you willfully ignorant or just normally ignorant?
While there appears to be a large discrepancy between Andrew's assertions on the charity's wealth and compensation and what Charity Navigator says https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... orgid=4482 they do list several ex-muslims and organizations that help ex-muslims that should clearly not be listed as "hate groups". Nor do they extend the same courtesy to other religions. Imagine if ex-scientologists or Operation Clambake received the same treatment as the ex-muslims and ex-muslim groups. There is a very clear, prevalent bias going on, which is a very bad thing as the media relies on SPLC quite uncritically.

You want to take what Charity Navigator says over what the SPLC reports be my guest. I linked the SPLC reports from their own site. This page titled FINANCIAL INFORMATION

You can find their 2015 Annual Report, Audited Financial Statement, IRS Form 990 etc there. Go read them. Or not. Your choice.

Finally, I dunno what or where comhcinc is going on about (he is on ignore) and I do not care. His issue. Not mine.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

What I am going on about is you claim that you examined the SPLC enough to know that they have not made any mistakes which is odd because they made a mistake about Ben Carson and corrected and admitted to it and they have also release a statement about the whole AVFM thing which wasn't even their fault.

You claim they are a bunch of con artist and base this off some tax forms. I don't know how it work where you are from but showing money coming in correctly on taxes is not how con artist work.

You are more than happy to make claims about a group you don't like. Writing them off completely without, and telling others to do so as well without providing any real evidence.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Maybe if AHA received death threats on Twitter they'd be taken more seriously by SJWs than ones delivered at knifepoint on the corpses of people she knows.