The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Stretchycheese

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Stretchycheese »

I just saw PZ Myers post where he tries to smear Jordan Peterson:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... is-an-ass/

The gap between these two men in integrity, honesty, and wisdom is mind-boggingly astronomical. The image I get at seeing PZ Myers raving against Dr. Peterson is Fred Phelps shaking his fist at Martin Luther King or Bertrand Russell.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Early on, my fondest expressed hope was that PZ had been "freethoughted" by his smiling Chinese overlords.

I wasn't disappointed.
I give you full credit for pointing it out. Any one else I would give a pass, but for PZ to be enchanted by China... He really is one of the great schmucks of our time.
A few generations ago he'd have been the kind of person gushing about Stalin's utopia.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Stretchycheese wrote:I just saw PZ Myers post where he tries to smear Jordan Peterson:

The gap between these two men in integrity, honesty, and wisdom is mind-boggingly astronomical. The image I get at seeing PZ Myers raving against Dr. Peterson is Fred Phelps shaking his fist at Martin Luther King or Bertrand Russell.
If I could request a shoop, I'd love a dinky Myers ranting and raving (in his own words) against a Peterson who fails to notice his presence.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Sunder wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:I just saw PZ Myers post where he tries to smear Jordan Peterson:

If I could request a shoop, I'd love a dinky Myers ranting and raving (in his own words) against a Peterson who fails to notice his presence.
It's a positive sign, however, that PZ's influence and legacy continue to sink further and further into irrelevance:

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?o=lt&y=t ... tblogs.com

By contrast, J Peterson's YouTube channel is getting ~2000 new subscribers every day:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jo ... rsonvideos

It's a good sign and hope for optimism.I think the SJWs/regressive left, in the long run, are going to lose this culture war. :dance:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote: That could be one interpretation.

Of course there are a few glaring points that stand out. Richer communities can afford better schools for their children. School districts with better schools are more expensive to purchase housing in. Since there is a huge difference between race & income in the US, the link is correlated but not necessarily causal. And this will always be the case for public schools. Not to mention, better teachers will want to work for school districts that have better resources, better pay with better behaved students.

A potential way out of this is to even out public student education funding across the nation. Evening it out across a state would be a step up. Evening it out across a county would be a step up.

Of course if you do that, richer parents might tend to start sending their children to private schools and avoiding the public school system altogether.

Perhaps a voucher program is a better option to allow parents who wish for their students to do better a way out of a shitty school system. Competition & choice. Of course local studies of voucher programs reported by the local news say that these voucher schools perform worse that public. I don't know if those studies are skewed or not.
Voucher schools tend to be pretty bad in many other countries, so I'm pretty confident that those studies can be seen as reliable even in the US.

You need to spend more money on education and raise the levels of your public education in general, not even it out. You need to make your public school good enough for well-off upper-middle class people to go there, and give some form of aid to not so well off people who study at the same school. The ultra-rich are always going to exclusive schools, but if you raise the bar high enough people who aren't billionaires but are rich enough to matter are going to send their kids to public school.

I work for the Swiss school system (I review the German and Italian syllabi of Swiss schools and evaluate their performance in those subjects) and I know of many cases where children of well-off entrepreneurs go to the same school of the children of the people who clean their houses or work in their factories.

Of course spending so much on education means either higher taxes or reducing spending on something else, and neither of those choices is very popular with the electorate. They get used to it if the system works, but it's really hard to persuade them if the system is broken.
The reason it's like this in the US is because schools are funded to a much greater extent (compared to other countries) at the local level. Local (town and village) governments can raise taxes for their schools. To my knowledge, in a country like Australia, or in Europe, most of the school funding is done at the state or central govt level. I know in Australia local governments have nothing to do with public schools. Local schools can raise some level of funding via the PTA or its equivalent, but it's icing on the cake, not a major part of the cake itself.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

I see my avatar is up-to-date again.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

This is what PZ Myers said about China:
I'm on my way back! I’ve been completely out of touch for the last few days — it turns out that China has completely blocked Google, Twitter, YouTube, and…FreethoughtBlogs (I think that last one is an accident of our google adserver code), so I’ve had no access to email or FtB since Thursday. You don’t have to wag a finger at me, since my daughter has “tsk, tsk”ed me already for failing to set up a VPN before I left.

But aside from that one little deficiency, I have had a wonderful time in China. I was blown away by Chinese hospitality, and got so much good food, and got to tour the Forbidden Palace, the Great Wall, and the Summer Palace — it was a terrific experience, and I want to do it again.
Tourists have a great time in China. They also have a great time in Saudi Arabia or Qatar or Dubai, especially if they stick to their programmed tours. This doesn't mean that Myers, as a so-called "social justice activists", can call censorship a "little deficiency". A blog on travel can call internet censorship a "little deficiency". A blog on social justice activism should at least pay a little more attention to the issue.

PZ is always ready to wag his finger at any perceived slight of the "West" but seems not to have in himself to criticize some "POCs".

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
While this might be true for people who like to generate relatively complicated explanations for things, when I say that "it's not race, it's poverty" or "it's not race, it's culture," I am doing so based on a hierarchical regression analysis of data. To be clear, the claim that "it's not race, it's poverty" is based on the finding of a significant semi-partial for socio-economic status when controlling for race, but a near-zero and non-significant semi-partial for race when controlling for socio-economic status.

It's important to me that we distinguish between claims based on relatively complicated theories and those based on relatively straight-forward data.

With that said, I probably should admit to the one finding that bugs me as an atheist. There is one (so far) variable that can act as a complete shut-down moderator for the positive relationship between single-black-mom and the male child getting into trouble (either at school or worse): the level of participation of the single-black-mom in her church. As this goes up, the negative prediction for her kids goes down and can be zero.
Churches are pretty much the only relatively stable and balanced social institutions in many black communities, so it kind of makes sense.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:This is what PZ Myers said about China:
I'm on my way back! I’ve been completely out of touch for the last few days — it turns out that China has completely blocked Google, Twitter, YouTube, and…FreethoughtBlogs (I think that last one is an accident of our google adserver code), so I’ve had no access to email or FtB since Thursday. You don’t have to wag a finger at me, since my daughter has “tsk, tsk”ed me already for failing to set up a VPN before I left.

But aside from that one little deficiency, I have had a wonderful time in China. I was blown away by Chinese hospitality, and got so much good food, and got to tour the Forbidden Palace, the Great Wall, and the Summer Palace — it was a terrific experience, and I want to do it again.
Tourists have a great time in China. They also have a great time in Saudi Arabia or Qatar or Dubai, especially if they stick to their programmed tours. This doesn't mean that Myers, as a so-called "social justice activists", can call censorship a "little deficiency". A blog on travel can call internet censorship a "little deficiency". A blog on social justice activism should at least pay a little more attention to the issue.

PZ is always ready to wag his finger at any perceived slight of the "West" but seems not to have in himself to criticize some "POCs".
The sexist, racist West has it all wrong. Countries like China and North Korea are the best! So free! There's sooooooooooooooooooo much good food. Food for everyone! And women are treated like queens!

See! So much of the pizza! They have more food than anyone can eat!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

paddybrown wrote:I'm going to regret this. I have an expressed an opinion about gender matters on Facebook.

One of my female friends shared this article from the Independent about how a trial of a male contraceptive drug was halted after a year because there were too many reported side effects, and that means men are big babies because women put up with worse side effects all the time.

Now as it turns out, as well as the 6.25% who reported "intolerable" side-effects, 32% of the participants experienced mood disorders, 3% experienced depression, one committed suicide and another attempted suicide, and the people conducting the study quite reasonably concluded the risks outweighed the benefits. But who cares, eh? Women have it worse, men are pathetic, any excuse to roll your eyes.
IOW, in inverse to female contraceptives, it gave men periods.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
paddybrown wrote:I'm going to regret this. I have an expressed an opinion about gender matters on Facebook.

One of my female friends shared this article from the Independent about how a trial of a male contraceptive drug was halted after a year because there were too many reported side effects, and that means men are big babies because women put up with worse side effects all the time.

Now as it turns out, as well as the 6.25% who reported "intolerable" side-effects, 32% of the participants experienced mood disorders, 3% experienced depression, one committed suicide and another attempted suicide, and the people conducting the study quite reasonably concluded the risks outweighed the benefits. But who cares, eh? Women have it worse, men are pathetic, any excuse to roll your eyes.
IOW, in inverse to female contraceptives, it gave men periods.
It's amazing and sad how little these people care about male suicide.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I just watched last night's John Oliver. He did a bit on school segregation. You can watch it here.

\

So I don't if it's my inner troll or maybe I got too close to steers but it appear to me that the argument being put forth when it's all said and done is that black people are better off when they are surrounded by more white people and less black people.

Am I off about that? IS that not what they are saying?
That's essentially correct.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arc ... -live-with
God damn... but I really hate John Oliver. He is an unfunny left wing bigot.

A few observations.

1) The problem is not racism. It is poverty. Blacks are poor at twice the rate of whites so every poverty problem looks like a race problem. Black poverty is actually reducing at a slow rate. White poverty has not declined in decades. Blacks now have more opportunities so it makes sense that blacks would be reducing their poverty rate. If we tackle this as a poverty problem more white people will support change.

2) Many of the poorest school districts have the highest levels of per student spending. There is very little direct evidence that funding is the problem (unless the funding is extremely low). Highly funded schools in poor areas still have very poor student performance. Schools spend more and more money on instruction and teachers and student performance does not change.

3) Parents need choice and most parents who value education take steps to help their kids succeed. This is harder for parents who are poor since they have fewer options. Still, I have known many poor families who raise smart and well educated children... because it is a priority to them. You can toss money at poor districts and get no better result, because the families are broken and do not care. I have no proposed solution to this problem.

4) The solution is very tricky. What we need is a policy of diversifying neighborhoods. Every city and town needs to have a certain portion of low cost housing. This will encourage more lower income families to move to high performing school districts. There are studies that suggest a well performing school can absorb 10% to 20% of kids from poor performing schools. The low performing kids tend to rise to the challenge. If a school gets 30%+ poor performing students the overall school performance declines.

5) Michigan changed from local funding to state funding of schools about 20 years ago. This means that rich districts cannot choose to pay more taxes for their local school. This has resulted in high performing districts declining in quality. Poor districts have gotten much more money than before. All our schools have per student spending rates with only a 10% variation between districts. The problem is that student performance does not improve in the poor performing districts. They are getting more money but it doesn't help. Meanwhile, high performing districts actually have to reduce spending and this does appear to harm performance. Michigan's average student test performance has been declining for years. We used to be in the top half of states and now we are near the bottom.

just my 2 cents.
6) Black people smell funny. And the black kids who were bussed into my schools told me white people smell funny. This is a fact of nature that's being ignored, and likely the number one reason integration has failed. :bjarte:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Standing Rock protest against pollution:

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsp ... 14b5db.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Lsuoma wrote:Standing Rock protest against pollution:

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsp ... 14b5db.jpg
Don't worry. Those tires are organic, free-range and gluten-free.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and they've had 1.4 million brave and intrepid supporters "check-in" on Tardbook!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

My understanding is the 2 large trucks the "Water protectors" burned were parked on a bridge on a small creek.

free thoughtpolice

Clarence wrote:
Anyway, what really gets me your is your unmitigated gall to think you are some sort of moral person, better than Steersman. You are perfectly fine with the US undeclared wars and proxy wars all over the world and the various civilian casulties they entail. Why do I say this? Because you know Clinton ain't changing any of our foreign policy, is hawkish (the neocons are supporting her for precisely that reason, and she does have a hawkish past) and is even likely to embroil us in more conflicts (and get our freaking hands even more bloody with innocent blood) but that's cool. Business as usual is cool with you, or you'd be for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. Even though they aren't gonna win, at least your alleged conscience could be clear. In fact, you take Islamic lives less seriously than you take their right to immigrate to the US (which they don't possess). And you've spent far more time bitching about Steersmans hypothetical ideological test (which is actually something one needs if one is importing large amounts of immigrants) of making hypothetical immigrants from Muslim majority country spit on the Koran than you have bitching about the US backed Saudi air strikes on Yemeni civilians, or even the Department of Justices horrible and unjust attacks on the rights of US college men or on the rights of people in the Armed services to get fair trials. Since you've also poopoohed the idea that the SJW's can or could do any real damage to your country (so whats another 4 or 8 years of empowering them under a Hilbitch administration) I leave this as a big spit in your face : https://newrepublic.com/article/138230/ ... y-politics
Fuck sakes you are stupid. You obviously haven't read or understood what I've written and are maintaining I believe things I don't believe.
You are falsely saying I think and say things which I do not. Shameless strawmanning.
As for adhoms, you got the virgin/loser remark because your childish retardation remark. Don't expect to insult people and not have them retaliate. Now you are continuing with the grade 4ish "you're dumb" crap. Don't snivel if you get shit dished back to you.

As for Steersman, he can take care of himself. White knight all you want I doubt he will let you suck his cock.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Clarence wrote:
Anyway, what really gets me your is your unmitigated gall to think you are some sort of moral person, better than Steersman. You are perfectly fine with the US undeclared wars and proxy wars all over the world and the various civilian casulties they entail. Why do I say this? Because you know Clinton ain't changing any of our foreign policy, is hawkish (the neocons are supporting her for precisely that reason, and she does have a hawkish past) and is even likely to embroil us in more conflicts (and get our freaking hands even more bloody with innocent blood) but that's cool. Business as usual is cool with you, or you'd be for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. Even though they aren't gonna win, at least your alleged conscience could be clear. In fact, you take Islamic lives less seriously than you take their right to immigrate to the US (which they don't possess). And you've spent far more time bitching about Steersmans hypothetical ideological test (which is actually something one needs if one is importing large amounts of immigrants) of making hypothetical immigrants from Muslim majority country spit on the Koran than you have bitching about the US backed Saudi air strikes on Yemeni civilians, or even the Department of Justices horrible and unjust attacks on the rights of US college men or on the rights of people in the Armed services to get fair trials. Since you've also poopoohed the idea that the SJW's can or could do any real damage to your country (so whats another 4 or 8 years of empowering them under a Hilbitch administration) I leave this as a big spit in your face : https://newrepublic.com/article/138230/ ... y-politics
Fuck sakes you are stupid. You obviously haven't read or understood what I've written and are maintaining I believe things I don't believe.
You are falsely saying I think and say things which I do not. Shameless strawmanning.
As for adhoms, you got the virgin/loser remark because your childish retardation remark. Don't expect to insult people and not have them retaliate. Now you are continuing with the grade 4ish "you're dumb" crap. Don't snivel if you get shit dished back to you.

As for Steersman, he can take care of himself. White knight all you want I doubt he will let you suck his cock RS-232 plug.
FTFY.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Lsuoma wrote:As for Steersman, he can take care of himself. White knight all you want I doubt he will let you suck his cock RS-232 plug.
FTFY.[/quote]

Oh, com'on. You know that it'll be a DB9 game-port. Or are you suggesting that Steersman is trans*?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Shouldn't the nomination be for Alison Saunders specifically rather than the CPS in general?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

bork bork bork

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Lsuoma wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
As for Steersman, he can take care of himself. White knight all you want I doubt he will let you suck his cock RS-232 plug.
FTFY.
Isn't RS-232 a bit too modern? Besides, saying "be part of his 20mA current loop" sounds so much dirtier.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Bah. Wrong thread. I get easily confused when there's more than one.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Cunties seem a bit dull when the winner is so clear-cut. I guess maybe there's competition for 2nd and 3rd place.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sulman wrote:Oh dear.

http://i.imgur.com/zrPu3Qq.png
The gender pay gap is bullshit. Feminists, spare us. We've heard it all before.

Easy peasy!

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sulman wrote:Oh dear.

http://i.imgur.com/zrPu3Qq.png
Someone on the Facebook thread says:
Silencing opposing views because you don't like what they say is a step away from censorship. Any policy used against those you deem wrong can be used against you in the future.
The official account replies:
Kind of like when men try to silence women's concerns about equality by calling them femi-Nazis and liars? Interesting.
The posts have 189 and 169 likes, respectively.

Maybe AHA deserves a Cuntie for making such an obvious strawman argument.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote: The official account replies:
Kind of like when men try to silence women's concerns about equality by calling them femi-Nazis and liars? Interesting.
The posts have 189 and 169 likes, respectively.

Maybe AHA deserves a Cuntie for making such an obvious strawman argument.
A serious conversation of data on social issues and correlations between them is apparently too much of a hassle for the American Humanist Association.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jet_lagg wrote:Bah. Wrong thread. I get easily confused when there's more than one.
Wasn't that Carrier's excuse?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There can be only one winner this year in the Cunties. Rising from the ashes for a final reel B grade horror movie jump-scare.

Rebecca Watson stampedes Novella into giving Dawkin's a stroke and driving him from Twitter.

free thoughtpolice

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:What the fuck is up with the FBI?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/01/politics/ ... stigation/

Meh, if there is nothing to hide there shouldn't be an issue.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Peez latest said he would like to go back to China because on arrival at USA he spotted a large television tuned (tuned ? WTF) to CNN. [his] welcome back to the USA was Wolf Blitzer (spit) yammering about two things: emails, and polls. "Good god, America, you are being poisoned by the media. "

Yes Peez. They don't have that problem back in your personal food bowl.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Bah. Wrong thread. I get easily confused when there's more than one.
Wasn't that Carrier's excuse?
It's a valid excuse if you're used to situations where you only need to keep track of one thing. Carrier propositions drunken undergrads with the kind of mechanical efficiency most PUAs could only dream of. With that kind of practice there's no reason he shouldn't be able to keep it all sorted.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ either forgot that his students had work due on Friday - or his standard procedure is to have term papers stuffed under his door.

Either way he scores an F. Speaking of which he claims that he would be completely unbiased marking the papers of any students who wore trump tee shirts to class.

I sense a trap.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Peez latest said he would like to go back to China because on arrival at USA he spotted a large television tuned (tuned ? WTF) to CNN. [his] welcome back to the USA was Wolf Blitzer (spit) yammering about two things: emails, and polls. "Good god, America, you are being poisoned by the media. "

https://media.giphy.com/media/EldfH1VJdbrwY/giphy.gif

China is a country where the media is literally state-run. The government literally controls what is and is not seen and heard in the media and on the Internet.

He can't possibly be so far gone down SJW lane that he doesn't understand what he's said. Does he have some form of dementia?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Peez latest said he would like to go back to China because on arrival at USA he spotted a large television tuned (tuned ? WTF) to CNN. [his] welcome back to the USA was Wolf Blitzer (spit) yammering about two things: emails, and polls. "Good god, America, you are being poisoned by the media. "

China is a country where the media is literally state-run. The government literally controls what is and is not seen and heard in the media and on the Internet.

He can't possibly be so far gone down SJW lane that he doesn't understand what he's said. Does he have some form of dementia?

free thoughtpolice

I hear repeating yourself unnecessarily is one of the symptoms of the onset of senility. :ugeek:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Trichinella from too much pig fucking.

He should perfect the skill of "eating" with his mouth closed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:There can be only one winner this year in the Cunties. Rising from the ashes for a final reel B grade horror movie jump-scare.
Rebecca Watson stampedes Novella into giving Dawkin's a stroke and driving him from Twitter.
That is giving her too much credit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

She definitely pushed behind scene outrage buttons even if she didn't pull the trigger. Remember she had a head of stream post RDF / CSI merge.

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

Really? wrote:

Then there's the post where he says he was "blown away" by Chinese hospitality. He includes a picture of Tiananmen, the gate just north of the eponymous square, where the Chinese government massacred pro-democracy demonstrators in 1989. In fact, from the spot where his photo was taken you are either on the northern edge of the square or just across the street, basically right at the sight of the massacre.

"Blown away" seems like a poor choice of words, to say the least...

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

I'm no stranger to professors of linguistics making incoherent political arguments, but this article by Robin Lakoff takes the cake:

Hillary Clinton’s Emailgate Is an Attack on Women

What gets me is that there isn't even the most rudimentary attempt in the article to formulate a rational argument. It's just assertions: Hilary did nothing wrong, and when men do this the same sort of things they face no criticism, so the only possible explanation is that this is just a backlash to a woman daring to communicate publicly. Of course, she's factually wrong on the point about men. When men have played fast and loose with classified information, they have not only been criticized, they get criminal charges.

James Comey's initial decision not to press charges supplies definitive proof to this dimwit that no crime was committed, but when he accuses Clinton of extreme carelessness and poor judgment, he's back in the patriarchy as a bully.

This seems to me an example of Jonathan Haidt's argument that when a field of study loses diversity of opinion, reasoning skills atrophy. Lakoff is probably used to just facing nodding heads when she presents this kind of bullshit to her colleagues, so she doesn't see the need to even try to make a rational argument, and probably has lost the ability to do so.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

The only reason the whole email flap has legs is because the candidate is female. Can you imagine this happening to a man? Clinton is guilty of SWF (Speaking While Female)...
I can't continue, guys. I want you to go on without me.

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

jugheadnaut wrote:I'm no stranger to professors of linguistics making incoherent political arguments, but this article by Robin Lakoff takes the cake:

Melissa McEwan at Shakesville predictably loved that stupid Lakoff article.

SJWs are living in an alternative reality where the establishment and mainstream media were all conspiring against Hillary Clinton in favor of, first, Bernie Sanders and, now, Donald Trump. Other than, perhaps, Bob Dole or George H.W. Bush, Hillary is the presidential candidate in my lifetime most firmly ensconced in the establishment, yet the people who shriek at you if you don't use their made-up pronouns are convinced that her election would be revolutionary.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:I'm no stranger to professors of linguistics making incoherent political arguments, but this article by Robin Lakoff takes the cake:

SJWs are living in an alternative reality where the establishment and mainstream media were all conspiring against Hillary Clinton in favor of, first, Bernie Sanders and, now, Donald Trump. Other than, perhaps, Bob Dole or George H.W. Bush, Hillary is the presidential candidate in my lifetime most firmly ensconced in the establishment, yet the people who shriek at you if you don't use their made-up pronouns are convinced that her election would be revolutionary.
If Trump does win one week from today, I imagine we'll see a storm of articles of this nature and quality. "The debate is over" they will say, "if you were resistant to believing in Patriarcy or rape culture, this election proves it beyond question". Luckily, even if this had merit (which it doesn't), their argumentation skills are so poor, they're not going to convince anyone and it will effectively just be SJW's shrieking inchoately to each other.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Proxy war between the FBI and the Justice Department?

They might be going after Clinton but perhaps the real fight is between two different bureaucracies for reasons of their own. If so, then what would make sense to the both of them, might not be obvious, may even be incomprehensible to the likes of me and you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I see Damion had the courtesy to tell me my "busy bee" video stank.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

jet_lagg wrote:
The only reason the whole email flap has legs is because the candidate is female. Can you imagine this happening to a man? Clinton is guilty of SWF (Speaking While Female)...
I can't continue, guys. I want you to go on without me.
It's instructive that the truth is exactly 180 degrees opposite of what she's saying. Men have gone down for lesser peccadilloes; she has vag immunity.

free thoughtpolice

AndrewV69 wrote:
Proxy war between the FBI and the Justice Department?

They might be going after Clinton but perhaps the real fight is between two different bureaucracies for reasons of their own. If so, then what would make sense to the both of them, might not be obvious, may even be incomprehensible to the likes of me and you.
Maybe Trump and the hardass congressional Republicans have intimated Comey. They have already gone after his underling in the email "scandal".
:think:

free thoughtpolice

FBI has released footage from the Ben Gazarra hearings! Clinton looks guiltier than ever!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:

That reminds me; McEwen is do for her yearly freak out, wherein she threatens to end Shakesville because the regulars don't appreciate her enough, don't understand how difficult it is for her, the sacrifices she makes, how it's her turn to be happy for a change. Then the regulars plead for her to stay and tell her that they love her. Then she says she'll stay, but makes them all take some sort of bizarre oath of fealty(see her famous "All in" post). If Trump somehow pulls it off you can bet this will happen within a week of election day. If Hillary wins then I give her until the end of February.

free thoughtpolice

Has McEwen ever had posts about manspreading?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote:I see Damion had the courtesy to tell me my "busy bee" video stank.
Haha, the fat cunt!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

In spite of what Jerry Coyne has written repeatedly, a Trump victory looks entirely possible. I'm relatively safe in my job (not dependent on federal research grants for most of my salary) and there will always be a need for lowly profs to teach medical and dental students, so I'm not panicking or anything. I suspect that lots of people who support Trump will be in for an unpleasant surprise or two if he wins, though. Surprises about their personal finances and any government support and subsidies they're currently enjoying, in particular. Just sayin'.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Hunt wrote:
Keating wrote:
Hunt wrote:A bit of recap and reflection on "PZ in China". The irony here is so great I think, paradoxically, it's easy to miss. PZ goes to perhaps one of the most brutally repressive countries on the plant, a country shrouded in information opacity, and comes away giving it glowing reviews, wanting to go back for more. Just let that sink for a second. Even the hint that while there he couldn't access his own blog doesn't seem to have clued him in. Or perhaps none of this is much of a surprise. Perhaps it's just business as usual for PZ. He's often reminded me of the atheist Mao. He deals in info opacity, agrees with strict censorship, has a fondness for youthful zealotry and naivete. In many ways I think PZ may have found his home in China.
I'm seeing strangely large support for Mao around recently. One guy was trying to tell me that Mao was largely sympathetic to the West, and was only bad US foreign policy that led to discord there.
I have a feeling that's the type of bullshit PZ might have bought into, especially seeing the comment on his parting post about colonialism. To chalk up all the horrors of PRC to repercussion of colonialism is terribly naive.
Honestly though, I think what's really going on in PZ's mind is that being invited to China is what "famous scientists get to do," and being wined and dined is part of it. That all of it is just the facade of hospitality isn't really a shit he's prepared to give. If somewhere way down his list of priorities is the vague memory that ten prols a day are shot in the back of the neck, it's eclipsed by the thought that China is "reaching out" and western presence make "incremental improvement". Of course, none of that, not an iota, would make a dent in his thinking on western feminism and the status of women.

People are weird, and think what they want to think. And, yes, it's very depressing.
Stop fooling yourself PZ is a pinko commie twat that would love the 'Red Guard' to have free reign in the USA. There is a reason we conservatives don't bother trying to debate the 'regressive left' and that is, it is not worth it. That is why we call them the loony left and mentally ill, also tell feminists they are ugly man hating dykes. Eventually they have to come out of their safe places to defend themselves or get demonized to irreverence. When they do surface it is easy to wipe the floor with them at the market place of ideas, stop thinking you can defeat them from within, you can't because you are playing by their rules. Join us conservatives and help us blow them out of the water then go back to being old school lefties or classic liberals. Imagine the lack of headaches because you no longer have to bang your head against a brick wall of stupidity.

free thoughtpolice

BarnOwl wrote:In spite of what Jerry Coyne has written repeatedly, a Trump victory looks entirely possible. I'm relatively safe in my job (not dependent on federal research grants for most of my salary) and there will always be a need for lowly profs to teach medical and dental students, so I'm not panicking or anything. I suspect that lots of people who support Trump will be in for an unpleasant surprise or two if he wins, though. Surprises about their personal finances and any government support and subsidies they're currently enjoying, in particular. Just sayin'.
Don't worry. After Donald drains the swamp he will reward the populace just he had with his subcontractors,stockholders, and unpaid employees. If you don't like his presidency you can sue. :bjarte:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

WaPo gave Trump 4 Pinocchios for his bloviating about Hillary's e-mail being as bad as Watergate. :lol: : :liar: :lol:

Like all pathological narcissists, he thinks he can just say things over and over and they become true. :liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:

free thoughtpolice

BarnOwl wrote:WaPo gave Trump 4 Pinocchios for his bloviating about Hillary's e-mail being as bad as Watergate. :lol: : :liar: :lol:

Like all pathological narcissists, he thinks he can just say things over and over and they become true. :liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:
Unfortunately it works too often.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

If the e-mail thing blows the election and we end up with Orange Hitler, then yes, it will be worse than Watergate. :shock: