The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
DrokkIt

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by DrokkIt »

Dave wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:URGH

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/stop-as ... ing-class/
Some Moron Online wrote:This country is getting browner and gayer by the day, and for all they are fighting to get back to the 1950s, lazing in toxic nostalgia isn’t going to change that. The demographics of this country are not on their side. They might want to try understanding the future—in which they are outnumbered and outvoted—because it comes for us all.
Saw that. Found myself thinking "Fine, dont empathize. Enjoy political irrelevancy." The demographics of the country are not changing as much as you would like. 2/3rds of the country are still white, and the working class is the majority of that. Good luck winning elections without them. And I suspect that by the time whites are outnumbered, white working class concerns will be shared by black, asian and hispanic working classes, because resentment of being bossed around and anger at working hard and not getting anywhere are common to the human condition, not specifically white issues.

Yup. Anyone care to bet whether the black working class voted differently to black middle class...

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

MarcusAu wrote:950!

Are we going to make 1000 this time?

If so - does anyone want to get their bets in for the date?
No, we'll get to about 992 and then Lsuoma will break our hearts again. :crying-green:

John D

Post by John D »

DrokkIt wrote:
Yup. Anyone care to bet whether the black working class voted differently to black middle class...
My black female employee voted Trump. She is a college educated single mom who is very "law and order". One data point. When she told me how she would vote I was surprised at first. Makes sense though. The Dems never helped her much. She wants good schools, low crime, and low taxes. She has no sympathy for "thugs" of any kind and has brutal opinions about criminals of any kind.... she would like to see all the lazy thugs locked up. (geee wizzzz.... not all black people are the same... imagine that!)

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

DrokkIt wrote:URGH

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/stop-as ... ing-class/
Some Moron Online wrote:This country is getting browner and gayer by the day, and for all they are fighting to get back to the 1950s, lazing in toxic nostalgia isn’t going to change that. The demographics of this country are not on their side. They might want to try understanding the future—in which they are outnumbered and outvoted—because it comes for us all.
Laughably bad. She's jumping through hoops to make this fit her already existing narrative. If that means shitting on poor people, then fuck 'em. The idea that racial (or gender, or sexuality, or some combination thereof) identity explains everything has her reaching for easy answers and scapegoats. She's completely clueless that she's another coastal elitist dismissing "flyover country." Because fuck self-reflection.

First thing that came to mind.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tigzy wrote:'TOXIC DEMOCRACY' - that's very good. I can honestly see that one taking root.

I can see a buzzword emerging for that whe SJW/regressives might believe to be acceptable violence - ie, violence directed at Trump supporters is intrinsically virtuous because the enemy is so literally Hitler. Something along the lines of 'Right Fight' or 'Goodpunching'.
Punching trump.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

An interesting article on Trump's possible avenues in foreign policy:
If Trump is looking for a unifying concept for his approach to foreign policy, it is the idea that states are responsible for their own territory and citizens and that other states shouldn’t interfere with either. This notion is consistent with Trump’s own “America First” mentality, and it resonates with the sentiment of populist nationalism that has driven everything from the Brexit vote to the assorted European xenophobes who are so jazzed by Trump’s success. And it is hardly a controversial concept; indeed, it still forms much of the basis for existing international law.

In this vision, the United States would of course oppose any government interfering in American affairs. I know, the United States can’t simply evade much of international law, such as useful institutions like the World Trade Organization, but as a rhetorical device, “national sovereignty” is just what his supporters want to hear. Under this mantle, the United States would get out of the business of trying to spread democracy (whether by force or through less coercive means) and would instead adopt a “live and let live” approach toward governments that are different from its own. No more regime change, no “Responsibility to Protect,” and no more trying to tell the world that it has to become like America in order to earn our respect.

At the same time, Westphalian sovereignty takes the sanctity of existing borders seriously, and it recognizes the value of a reputation for a certain degree of reliability and trustworthiness. This approach would therefore permit Trump to adhere to America’s existing alliance commitments. If any current treaty partners were attacked, a Westphalian approach would commit the Trump administration to take action to help them. If commitments need to be modified (or in extreme cases, broken), it should be done in a cautious and measured way. Trump expressed doubts about many existing alliance commitments during the campaign, but reassuring America’s present allies in the short term is a good idea. Even if you think these relations should be recast over time, that process should occur slowly, with lots of mutual consultation, so that the United States doesn’t suddenly face a cascade of panicky responses all over the world.

This approach would also go a long way toward resolving some of our current tensions with Russia, which Trump has said he’ll do. Further NATO expansion would come off the table permanently; Trump would make clear that the United States is not trying to reform Russia’s own government and that he doesn’t give a fig about how Vladimir Putin (mis)manages his own country. This step would reduce Russia’s own incentive to pay us back by interfering in our internal affairs (which is what those Russian hacking operations were all about), and it would open the door to greater cooperation on issues where our interests align. At the same time, Trump would be reminding Russia (and our allies) that the United States would still oppose forcible attempts to alter the existing territorial status quo — especially if such efforts were directed at U.S. allies.

I know what you’re thinking: But what about Crimea? How can that action be squared with a commitment to national sovereignty and territorial integrity? That should be easy for a businessman as slippery as our future 45th president. All he has to do is remind everyone that 1) Ukraine is not a formal U.S. ally, 2) we never promised to defend it, and 3) the whole mess there is Barack Obama’s fault anyway. If Crimea was lost, it was because Obama, Clinton, and Kerry didn’t keep a tight enough leash on the European Union and on Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland and instead tried to give Putin a black eye by wresting Ukraine out of Moscow’s orbit and into ours. It’s too late to get that toothpaste back in the tube now, but Trump can promise that something similar won’t happen on his watch, in part because he’ll respect Russian sovereignty and won’t keep humiliating them.

In short, getting out of the democracy promotion business and respecting the norm of sovereignty are the easiest ways for Trump to keep his quasi-isolationist base happy yet also reassure America’s deeply worried allies. And it even allows him to play the tough guy when dealing with states that hack U.S. websites, steal U.S. intellectual property, or try to tell the United States how to do things here at home. It won’t make liberal interventionists and other global do-gooders happy, but they didn’t vote for Trump on Nov. 8 and probably never will.
Actually if Trump managed to pull this off it wouldn't be such a bad idea and it might allow other countries to focus more on protecting their borders and less on alliances with untrustworthy partners (like the majority of nations in the Middle East) and on wars we can't win. He could even cut the Saudi from American support, which might actually make them understand that their regional power ambitions are a pipe dream without Uncle Sam. Who knows, they might even be forced to stop trying to build the ideology of Muslim supremacy.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

feathers wrote:
Tigzy wrote:'TOXIC DEMOCRACY' - that's very good. I can honestly see that one taking root.

I can see a buzzword emerging for that whe SJW/regressives might believe to be acceptable violence - ie, violence directed at Trump supporters is intrinsically virtuous because the enemy is so literally Hitler. Something along the lines of 'Right Fight' or 'Goodpunching'.
Punching trump.
TrumpThumping

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tribble wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Simple buzzword that leads nowhere due to its very own definition: REVOLUTION.

Those shits have a way to come around.

(partly stolen from Sir Pterry. Really, read Night Watch for a good understanding of revolutionary ideology. Pay special attention to Reginald Shoe, the ultimate SJW prototype until he's given police authority.)
One of Pratchett's better books. The wife and daughter prefer "Monstrous Regiment." We had the inferior US cover, of course:

*Snip image*
Monstrous Regiment is by far one of my favorites. A masterpiece.

You wouldn't want to see the cover of my edition of "Thud!"*. I'm thinking about buying a new copy just because of that awful shit (plus I'm slowly turning my paperback collection into hardbacks...)

*another favorite.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Just saw an ad for the Harry Potter prequel film thing "Fantastic Beasts" and at first glance thought it said "Fantastic Breasts".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

paddybrown wrote:Just saw an ad for the Harry Potter prequel film thing "Fantastic Beasts" and at first glance thought it said "Fantastic Breasts".
That film will never be made - Russ Meyer is dead.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote:Just saw an ad for the Harry Potter prequel film thing "Fantastic Beasts" and at first glance thought it said "Fantastic Breasts".
OMG Muh Soggy Knees!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

When did 'black people are going to outbreed white people' cease to be a paranoid Right-wing fantasy and become a Left-wing cry of triumph?

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

DrokkIt wrote:PCP - Politically Correct Pugilism.
I almost had a heart attack. Thanks god you're not referencing real boxing. On the other hands, im not worry at all about SJW trying to invade and police the mœurs of Boxing (or MMA too i guess) like they did and tried to do with gaming and heavy metal.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I once misread Warhorse as Whorehouse.

I haven't been so disappointed in a Spielberg film since the dinosaurs rumoured to appear in Temple of Doom failed to turn up.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
I almost had a heart attack. Thanks god you're not referencing real boxing. On the other hands, im not worry at all about SJW trying to invade and police the mœurs of Boxing (or MMA too i guess) like they did and tried to do with gaming and heavy metal.
Yeah, about that, they've kind of failed so far. We had progressive associations working for diversity and acceptance long before the SJW invasion. And these associations don't go for the victim-hood tactics. They are proactive, not regressive, and so far it has worked pretty well.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I admit, Fantastic Breasts And Where To Find Them is a much better title. Also good for repeat viewings. :cdc:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So alleged alt-right white supremacist Vox Day made a social experiment on Twitter.

http://voxday.blogspot.se/2016/11/equality.html?m=1

One account that said "I fucking hate white people" and the other that said "I fucking hate black people." Only one of them got suspended. Guess which one.

Anyway, colour me surprised. Or as one user put it, surprise of colour.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Shatterface wrote:When did 'black people are going to outbreed white people' cease to be a paranoid Right-wing fantasy and become a Left-wing cry of triumph?
IMO it was always a left-wing cry of triumph and that's why it became a paranoid right-wing fantasy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Can either group explain how it will make things any better (or worse for that matter) ?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote: Also Hispanics and Blacks are very conservative on average. They side with the progressive because as they're minorities and are swayed through special concessions and quotas, but once they'd become the majority they'd ditch them in heartbeat.

SJWs and many liberals in general seem to think that blacks and hispanics are on the side of progress no matter what but actually black churches and Catholic Hispanic-majority churches aren't less anti-abortion, anti-gay and anti-trans than white evangelical churches.

Trump already got more votes from minorities than Romney. If the GOP becomes progressively more populist and less big business-friendly it can actually attract more and more working class and middle class minority votes along with strong numbers in the white middle and working classes, all while staying as conservative and religious as it is now. If the SJWs/Progressives think that the "browning" of America will always work in their favor they'll be bitterly surprised.

On the positive side the more catholics are there in the US the quicker creationism will peter out since the Catholic church doesn't have so many problems with evolution by natural selection, they're more keen of Teilhard De Chardin's theistic evolution (basically evolution by natural selection is real but god works through it in mysterious ways).
Sorry to go into tinfoil hat territory but my mind also goes the other way. That at the end of the day, the LGBT community will be thrown under the bus by the progressive movement for a number of reasons, basically deference to Blank Slate ideals and cultural stances of ethnic minorities. Not that I think that the Christian Evangelical movement will be receptive to working with them, which is really concerning as I think they'll largely end up on the outside looking in, at least in the short term.

I actually hope I'm wrong on this, because it would suck for a lot of people. But I think it's reasonable to be concerned about it.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

MarcusAu wrote:Can either group explain how it will make things any better (or worse for that matter) ?
That's where your racism and identity politics come into play, believing there's something inherently innate and prescriptive about race.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
Yeah, about that, they've kind of failed so far. We had progressive associations working for diversity and acceptance long before the SJW invasion. And these associations don't go for the victim-hood tactics. They are proactive, not regressive, and so far it has worked pretty well.
I agree. I stopped following the metal scene 10 or 12 years ago but out of curiosity i followed a little bit of what was happening with the sjw entryism and from what i saw, it look like they're not getting serious traction at all.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
I can't see SJWs getting any faction in a sport where black sportsmen have been getting by on merit for decades.

Foxy boxing might be more vulnerable though, once Danielle Muscrat lookalikes start demanding the right to be letched at.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
My black female employee voted Trump. She is a college educated single mom who is very "law and order". One data point. When she told me how she would vote I was surprised at first. Makes sense though. The Dems never helped her much. She wants good schools, low crime, and low taxes. She has no sympathy for "thugs" of any kind and has brutal opinions about criminals of any kind.... she would like to see all the lazy thugs locked up. (geee wizzzz.... not all black people are the same... imagine that!)
Yes, some of them suffer from internalized racism. Or else she was just pretending to be a fellow racist. :think:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Uh-oh, Ben Shapiro swoops down into Peezle's territory!
I wonder if the squid-humper can even?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: My youngest is studying to become an early education teacher. She has a class called "Urban Studies."

The story is that when the kids were talking about "privilege" my daughter said that she had certain privileges for being a woman. Her specific example is how she gets out of speeding tickets by crying. The room went quiet... and then everyone denied that being a woman could ever give you any privileges. ....
The campus 'privilege' fad began with professor Peggy MacIntosh, at the all-female, mostly-white, upper-crust Wellesley College. Year after year, MacIntosh experienced incoming students being oblivious to what charmed lives they led; oblivious to the relative difficulty of others' lives. So MacIntosh devised her critique "Privilege is an Invisible Knapsack" [full of useful tools a privileged person can take for granted]. MacIntosh admonished her students to check their OWN privilege. But, rather than take that message to heart, the Ivy League damsels used their pedestal of power to demand Everyone-Else check OUR privilege.

Funny to see MacIntosh's original message being received as heretical, when expressed by your daughter.

MacIntosh specifically mentioned getting better-treatment from traffic cops, in her original list of privileges!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

feathers wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Russian politics is his area of expertise, but if you send him to Ukraine he's going to he's going to write about how racist Ukraine is and how it relates to racism in America. I'm really serious about seeing racism under every rock. It's all he thinks about all day, every day. He's a nice enough guy. Doesn't stoop to the hysterics driven condemnations and calls to violence you see in so many SJWs. He's still loopy though.
I have a sneaking suspicion he's never been on the receiving end of real racism: refused access to a dancing, being beaten up by nazi thugs etc.
His characterisation of parts of Eastern Europe is pretty accurate, though. The further east from Germany you go, the worse it gets.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Tribble wrote:One of Pratchett's better books.
This, Thud! and Going Postal are my top picks.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bhurzum wrote:Uh-oh, Ben Shapiro swoops down into Peezle's territory!
Please says yes.
Karmakin wrote:Sorry to go into tinfoil hat territory but my mind also goes the other way. That at the end of the day, the LGBT community will be thrown under the bus by the progressive movement for a number of reasons, basically deference to Blank Slate ideals and cultural stances of ethnic minorities. Not that I think that the Christian Evangelical movement will be receptive to working with them, which is really concerning as I think they'll largely end up on the outside looking in, at least in the short term.

I actually hope I'm wrong on this, because it would suck for a lot of people. But I think it's reasonable to be concerned about it.
I think that the progressives are screwed anyway. Ethnic minorities will likely diversify more and more socially and economically as time passes and they're less and less of a minority and they'll no longer to be viable as a reliable block of voters. Many of them, especially very socially conservative Hispanic and middle class/conservative working class blacks will no longer side with the progressives unless the progressive completely retool their agenda. Even just a 10-15% drop in the Democrat minority vote leaves the Democrats' hopes for a presidency pretty much dead in the water.

If I had to go tinfoil hat myself I actually think that what could happen is that Trump is actually the beginning of the post-racial era in US politics, as absurd as it might appear now. If he's able not to go all authoritarian people will see that he was nowhere close to the spawn of Hitler and Satan that the press would have you believe, and later Republican candidates can actually address social issues without worrying about the left playing the race card. The Left can also retool itself by reducing the power of the SJWs anfar d so the Democrat/Republican divide would become centered around income, education, science, religion,etc rather than around race relations.

I think that people everywhere are getting tired of the scaremongering and of the manufactured and exaggerated outrages. I'm feeling optimistic, I've seen many admit thing that would have triggered the fainting couch brigade before the election ith less backlash.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Malky wrote:This story about a woman who call Michelle Obama an "Ape in heels" has intrigued me.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37997700

I am glad the Mayor who endorsed this has been sacked but was also intrigued when I heard on Radio 54 today from a political commentator (didn't catch the name) who was maintaining the Trump win was partly because Older Whites felt they were not wanted in the country anymore and they were being disenfranchised by the identity politics of Hilary etc so voted en amsse for Trump who at least wasn't marginalising them. In this case it gives a thrill of schadenfreude that Hilary and the SJWs by continually berating White Male patriarchy" have brought this on themselves.

Does this P.O.V, make any sense to the USAians among us? I admit I find US politics very difficult to follow.
Yes it makes sense. It is also the primary argument of the SJWs that Hillary lost because of "Angry White Males." But there are also many competing theories being floated about about how more minorities (blacks & Hispanics) voted for Trump this year, than voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. I think also heard someone say 52% of white woman voted for Trump. I haven't had the bones to thoroughly research it to find out who is bullshitting and who is giving it to us straight. It is all a game of where the author of the article sets the goal posts and where the ball lands. Let us face it. The margins were tight across the board. Just about any bump in any demographic might have made the difference.

To be honest with you, gamergate and SJWs aside a few rust belt states flipped Republican than had not gone Republican in decades. They are called rust belt states because they used to be steel industry states. Steal, coal, natural gas, cars, manufacturing. Blue collar jobs. The Democrats have had these blue collar union workers believing that the Democrats supported them and cared about them and that the Republicans would fuck them over. Truth be told, in recent decades both the democrats and the republicans sold out the working class in favor of globalist trade deals.

Trump hit more than the traditional battle ground states. He flipped Michigan, Wisconsin & Pennsylvania over to voting for a "Republican."

Just as a point of curiosity, this is how the various states have voted in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... s_by_state

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

If Trump wants to be a 2-term president, he'll start running for reelection now. What would his first term look like if he does this? He's already sounding way more moderate than his antics would've led you to believe, but I doubt most intelligent people bought into that act.

The scaremongering tactic could bite the Dems in the ass in the next election. Trump could grow in a lot of voter's estimation by simply not being the monster they were warned about, assuming he doesn't fuck up along the way.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Sulman wrote:
feathers wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Russian politics is his area of expertise, but if you send him to Ukraine he's going to he's going to write about how racist Ukraine is and how it relates to racism in America. I'm really serious about seeing racism under every rock. It's all he thinks about all day, every day. He's a nice enough guy. Doesn't stoop to the hysterics driven condemnations and calls to violence you see in so many SJWs. He's still loopy though.
I have a sneaking suspicion he's never been on the receiving end of real racism: refused access to a dancing, being beaten up by nazi thugs etc.
His characterisation of parts of Eastern Europe is pretty accurate, though. The further east from Germany you go, the worse it gets.
Saw this earlier, and while some aspects are deplorable, it also shows how unrealistic expectations are.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/world ... lopaz.html

To give you some idea: there's maybe one percent Blacks in Germany, rather fewer. It is also true that drug dealers are mostly blacks. But reality cannot be racist, and it isn't. The fact that apparently most drug dealers are blacks does not mean that most blacks are drug dealers. And yet, people who think that, in context (they want to buy drugs and there's a lonely black dude) aren't racist, either, they simply go by a good heuristic that apparently works most of the time.

Also, the odds of a black person being born in Germany is vanishingly small. I can understand that it can be annoying that one is not immediately accepted as typical German, but at once what do such people expect? It isn't typical. Sorry. People who ask probably want to be nice and think it's a way to have small talk, and it's not that questions about origin are unusual in big city. A barely different accent can prompt that question.

The danger is that people who expect racism don't know what “normal” is. A relative of mine has a mental condition, but got it under control. Now he says that when he has a bad day, he is of course always wondering if this is “normal”: do other people also feel sleepy mid-day sometimes? Etc. So he goes around and asks to get some idea. I suspect it's like this for this black guy, too. He has no “control” and cannot his experience gauge it against how often other people are being asked where they are from, for example. That's also why “lived experience” is terrible as a “way of knowing”.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Easy J wrote:If Trump wants to be a 2-term president, he'll start running for reelection now. What would his first term look like if he does this? He's already sounding way more moderate than his antics would've led you to believe, but I doubt most intelligent people bought into that act.

The scaremongering tactic could bite the Dems in the ass in the next election. Trump could grow in a lot of voter's estimation by simply not being the monster they were warned about, assuming he doesn't fuck up along the way.
An excellent way to get a sense of a candidate is to look at the person BEFORE they started to run for president and what actions, words and choices they have made.

John D

Post by John D »

Easy J wrote:If Trump wants to be a 2-term president, he'll start running for reelection now. What would his first term look like if he does this? He's already sounding way more moderate than his antics would've led you to believe, but I doubt most intelligent people bought into that act.

I think Trump has an excellent chance of being a two term pres. I suspect he will use some Reaganomics tactics. He will get the Reps to spend more money. This will drive up the debt, but it will also grow jobs and wages. The stock market will also go up due to greater spending and reduced regulation. This bubble can easily last into the next election cycle. He will not make any major social system improvements except, perhaps, reducing health care costs.

The key here is that he will be able to say that people are better off now than they were 4 years ago. This line wins elections.

The trick for us citizens is to watch the bubble and manage our money around it. Right now I am fully in the stock market with my investments (mostly low fee index funds). I may do very well with Trump while he grows (and perhaps even over-heats) the economy. I have to watch closely for when the economic bubble will burst. When do I get out of stocks?... Not now... that's for sure.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think there is still time for the conservatives (if not the Republican party per se) to become disillusioned with Trump (if they were ever illusioned with him in the first place). I can't think of many ways that he could be classified as a 'Pub, rather than a centrist Democrat. He seems to be nationalist, isolationist, and small mindedly vindictive in his personal dealings.

That said, he's the president elect, and the Republican's current election success extends to the state level - so it might be a while before the rot sets in on the right.

Also, I'm not sure if he will be up for a second term given the progeric effects the presidency tends to have (if people are not already sick of him by then anyway).

Really?

Post by Really? »

Bhurzum wrote:Uh-oh, Ben Shapiro swoops down into Peezle's territory!
I hope PZ shows up. He'd act like this.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

sp0tlight wrote:
Tribble wrote:One of Pratchett's better books.
This, Thud! and Going Postal are my top picks.
What did you think of the Going Postal miniseries?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Really? wrote: I hope PZ shows up. He'd act like this.

Fat chance. At least crazy velociraptor kid showed some balls in taking on the big guy. Peez would just shuffle away, head bowed, already dreaming up a pharyngula piece on how he rhetorically eviscerated the two christbots on campus.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

For these are indeed strange days...
While Facebook battles with its fake news problem, Twitter is dealing with a different problem: fake accounts set up by the alt-right.

Gab: alt-right's social media alternative attracts users banned from Twitter
Read more
White supremacist website the Daily Stormer claims that it has already created thousand of what it refers to as “fake black person” accounts to troll Twitter and confuse its users. It is now urging its readers to do the same in retaliation for Twitter suspending high-profile rightwing users.

“We’ve got a big campaign coming up,” said Andrew Anglin, the founder of the Daily Stormer, in a post. “Twitter is about to learn what happens when you mess with Republicans.”

Here are Anglin’s instructions for creating a fake account: “Just go on black Twitter and see what they look like, copy that model. Start filling it with rap videos and booty-shaking or whatever else these blacks post. Read through their posts to get an idea of how they post. You need to be able to post in a manner which is indistinguishable from normal black tweeters.”
If you don't follow such things, the Daily Stormer is the troller's equivalent of Stormfront, which is why they claim to be the true home of the GOP while also being unashamedly neo-nazi to the point of almost being cartoonist.

Which reminds me... There's been a burst of articles on the alt right in main stream publications over the last few days, which I don't think you have to be Breaking to realize is playing right into their hands. I don't really believe the alt.right is a fraction as big and powerful as they or the media would have you believe but they've done an amazing job in getting their message out there through all sorts of mainstream channels.

You'd think some lessons might have been learned post-trump but it seems not.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Having a chat about music earlier when a friend brought up this album - one of the very first vinyl albums I ever bought.

If memory serves me correctly, it was Motorhead "ace of spades" (along with a 12" of AC/DC "Rock 'n' roll") followed by Rush "2112" then "Rising."

It still kicks ass, even by todays standards!

:character-beavisbutthead:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
Really? wrote: I hope PZ shows up. He'd act like this.

[gluetube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOoYxOf92s[/youtube]
Fat chance. At least crazy velociraptor kid showed some balls in taking on the big guy. Peez would just shuffle away, head bowed, already dreaming up a pharyngula piece on how he rhetorically eviscerated the two christbots on campus.
And if he'd been dying, he would have disemboweled them with his teeth...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:Having a chat about music earlier when a friend brought up this album - one of the very first vinyl albums I ever bought.

If memory serves me correctly, it was Motorhead "ace of spades" (along with a 12" of AC/DC "Rock 'n' roll") followed by Rush "2112" then "Rising."

Kill the King!

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Easy J wrote:If Trump wants to be a 2-term president, he'll start running for reelection now.

Please god no! Everyone need a sanity break right now.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Brive1987 wrote:
Hey Yo - nice to see you again!

:dance:
You too!

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

John D wrote:

I think Trump has an excellent chance of being a two term pres. I suspect he will use some Reaganomics tactics. He will get the Reps to spend more money. This will drive up the debt, but it will also grow jobs and wages. The stock market will also go up due to greater spending and reduced regulation. This bubble can easily last into the next election cycle. He will not make any major social system improvements except, perhaps, reducing health care costs.

The key here is that he will be able to say that people are better off now than they were 4 years ago. This line wins elections.

The trick for us citizens is to watch the bubble and manage our money around it. Right now I am fully in the stock market with my investments (mostly low fee index funds). I may do very well with Trump while he grows (and perhaps even over-heats) the economy. I have to watch closely for when the economic bubble will burst. When do I get out of stocks?... Not now... that's for sure.
I'm plunging into building a mini-rental empire, which should be bubble proof as long as the college keeps growing in my town. I'm not sure I'd recommend that for Detroit, though.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Shatterface wrote:When did 'black people are going to outbreed white people' cease to be a paranoid Right-wing fantasy and become a Left-wing cry of triumph?
Aren't white people already around 10% of the world's population and declining?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Now That's What I Call Rape Culture!
British woman who says she was gang raped arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges in Dubai as attackers go free

'Terrified' woman remains trapped in country after authorities seized her passport
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 20616.html

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

gurugeorge wrote:It's quite fun, basically religion-as-MUD, and as a novel form make-believe I think it's given a fair number of people (who aren't Christian or of another religion/ideology themselves) a bit of psychological bolstering and social unity, to punch through the indoctrination. Sort of a "fight fire with fire" tactic - free folks' memetic propaganda vs. globalist memetic propaganda, as it were. The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).
Interesting. Sort of like a mirror image of the regressive left, the yin and the yang. Given the alt-right's esoteric movement, it's seems lost on the regressive left. I came here because I thought you guys would be able to explain it to me without having to waste a bunch of time researching it. You didn't disappoint. Given that I needed it explained to me, their risk of being misunderstood should come as no surprise to them. It's too complicated for people who need to be shielded from the results of the election because they can't cope with the reality of it by an order of magnitude. In other words, what's the point of allowing the regressive left to be the spokespeople for who the alt-right is? Sounds like the angst is what drives them. Lots of similarities to the regressive left. Venn Diagrams do tend to overlap the farther you get from the middle in both directions, IMO.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Easy J wrote: I believe some of this labeling is starting to sink in with the 4chan-ish, trolling online anti-SJW crowd & some of them may be identifying with the label to some extent. I think Milo adopted that label to co-opt that crowd.
Interesting. So, to grow their anti-SJW army?

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Lsuoma wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Having a chat about music earlier when a friend brought up this album - one of the very first vinyl albums I ever bought.

Kill the King!
One of my favourites - album and track.

Though, as any fule kno, KtK is from 'Long Live Rock and Roll'.

Pseudomonas

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

DaveDodo007 wrote:We will also be around after the stupid self loathing cucks have gone. Probably when they all commit suicide by self immolation because of their guilt for being born in the first place.
:lol: :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pseudomonas wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Kill the King!
One of my favourites - album and track.

Though, as any fule kno, KtK is from 'Long Live Rock and Roll'.

Pseudomonas
True. I guess I was thinking of Rainbow - On Stage.

Those were the good old reliable days when you could expect a heavy rock/metal band to do the first two studio albums, then the mandatory double-live.

Life is not nearly so settled now. I find it triggering...

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Keating wrote:
If that's true, at what point do white people stop being privileged?

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Keating wrote:
If that's true, at what point do white people stop being privileged?

Really?

Post by Really? »

That's interesting. They haven't closed comments on the Skepticon videos yet.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:Those were the good old reliable days when you could expect a heavy rock/metal band to do the first two studio albums, then the mandatory double-live.
Last great double-live I bought...

https://maidenrevelations.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=676

\m/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Cnutella wrote:Now That's What I Call Rape Culture!
British woman who says she was gang raped arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges in Dubai as attackers go free

'Terrified' woman remains trapped in country after authorities seized her passport
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 20616.html
So what the fuck is going on there?
Article wrote:When she reported the rape at a police station, she was allegedly arrested for breaking Emirati laws against extra-marital sex, while her attackers have since flown home to the UK.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

yomomma wrote:
Easy J wrote: I believe some of this labeling is starting to sink in with the 4chan-ish, trolling online anti-SJW crowd & some of them may be identifying with the label to some extent. I think Milo adopted that label to co-opt that crowd.
Interesting. So, to grow their anti-SJW army?
I think Milo does it to convince them that they're really on the right, like him. From what I gather, most of the people pushing back against SJWism are left-libertarian leaning.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Really? wrote:That's interesting. They haven't closed comments on the Skepticon videos yet.

Are they pruning them! It said there were 6 comments but only 1 is up.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

deLurch wrote: Yes it makes sense. It is also the primary argument of the SJWs that Hillary lost because of "Angry White Males." But there are also many competing theories being floated about about how more minorities (blacks & Hispanics) voted for Trump this year, than voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. I think also heard someone say 52% of white woman voted for Trump. I haven't had the bones to thoroughly research it to find out who is bullshitting and who is giving it to us straight. It is all a game of where the author of the article sets the goal posts and where the ball lands. Let us face it. The margins were tight across the board. Just about any bump in any demographic might have made the difference.

To be honest with you, gamergate and SJWs aside a few rust belt states flipped Republican than had not gone Republican in decades. They are called rust belt states because they used to be steel industry states. Steal, coal, natural gas, cars, manufacturing. Blue collar jobs. The Democrats have had these blue collar union workers believing that the Democrats supported them and cared about them and that the Republicans would fuck them over. Truth be told, in recent decades both the democrats and the republicans sold out the working class in favor of globalist trade deals.

Trump hit more than the traditional battle ground states. He flipped Michigan, Wisconsin & Pennsylvania over to voting for a "Republican."

Just as a point of curiosity, this is how the various states have voted in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... s_by_state
Romney won whites 59% to 39% over Obama (98% of all white votes went to a major party candidate). Trump won whites 58% to 37% for Clinton (only 95% of white vote went to a major party candidate). In short, it's not that whites flocked to Trump's bandwagon. Rather they fled from both parties, but fled from Clinton in even greater numbers.

Clinton did 5% worse with blacks (88%) than Obama (93%). Clinton was pretty much normal with women -- Clinton over Trump by 54% to 42% but not terribly different than the 2012 results (55% Obama vs. 44% Romney) or 2008 (56% Obama vs. 43% McCain). She also did worse with hispanics than Obama pulling in just 65% of their vote, a few percentage points under Obama.