The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
CommanderTuvok

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Another shooting - familiar response on Twitter.

The alt-right are convinced he is a Muslim convert, 'cos he apparently downloaded some "Jihadi videos" once (how they found this out, I don't know) and he once lived near a Mosque. Don't know about you guys, but when I drive past my local mosque, I always feel like converting! :)

Meanwhile, the SJW, regressive left are convinced that this Hispanic suspect is in fact a "white Hispanic", as opposed to a "black hispanic" or "Chinese hispanic", or something.

Yup, you've guessed it - people have their pre-prepared narratives already written up and raring to go.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Nobody mentioned the Nigger Navy yet?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1dgHBrUUAAMSbc.jpg

Possibly the most embarrassing racist typo since the Australian cookbook that called for "salt and ground black people".
That one really sucks for whoever wrote it. B is next to N on most keyboards, spellcheck sees a perfectly valid word, and at first glance, my "mental autocorrect" read that as "bigger navy", so a cursory re-read may not even have caught it.
So Trump actually wants a nigger baby?

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Well, someone located the shooter's social media accounts, which I won't be linking to (because dox and more dox), but it sounds like he may have been talking to/about ISIS (or at least been nutters and thought he was talking to ISIS).

https://i.sli.mg/o9CheW.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CNN has been reporting that the shooter had voluntarily checked in to a mental health facility recently. Watch the baboons for fury about smearing mentally ill people because of the actions of testosterone poisoning in a privileged cis het white male.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Getting very strange

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Watson is under the delusion her gaming is a job complete with sick leave. A job moreover people give a shit about.

http://i.imgur.com/9ziyMMs.jpg

She's not even a Twitch partner and has under 500 Twitch followers. She's basically taking a sick day from the street corner where she often panhandle.

At least her job brings satisfaction.

http://i.imgur.com/XxvNgLq.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Wild Zontargs wrote:Well, someone located the shooter's social media accounts, which I won't be linking to (because dox and more dox), but it sounds like he may have been talking to/about ISIS (or at least been nutters and thought he was talking to ISIS).

The image on the right appears to have him giving the one finger 'there is only one god and that is Allah" salute, so perhaps the religion of peace has offered him some guidance? Not to mention the stylish scarf.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:Well, someone located the shooter's social media accounts, which I won't be linking to (because dox and more dox), but it sounds like he may have been talking to/about ISIS (or at least been nutters and thought he was talking to ISIS).

The image on the right appears to have him giving the one finger 'there is only one god and that is Allah" salute, so perhaps the religion of peace has offered him some guidance? Not to mention the stylish scarf.
Yeah, he was apparently interested (at least tangentially) in jihadi videos, and he apparently told the FBI he was "forced to fight for ISIS", so one does have to wonder about that.

free thoughtpolice

Coincidentally, this guy had been working as a security guard, the Pulse shooter in Orlando was too. He had reported that he was hearing voices that were coming from ISIS, had checked in for mental health assessment, yet was still able to not only own a gun but check it on to a plane.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I wouldn't worry so much about that in the cases of arrested mass murders. He is already arrested so justice will be served one way or another. And I believe pretty much everyone one here in the Pit understands that leaving any nasty messages on a mass murder's social media account is a futile act. And we are all going to be investigating anyway.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote: <snip>

Regardless, Osama bin Laden wasn't pushing for world-wide domination or European conquest, just the diminishing of the west Western and an end to their influence in the Middle East. It is fairly safe to take bin Laden at his word. Spreading Islam in the west was not the goal.
Maybe it wasn't his goal - moot - but it seems to be a salient if not defining one for a rather large percentage of Muslims. Which is the essence of Islamism which seems to have gotten its start with the founding of the Muslim Brotherhood in the 1920s by Hassan al-Banna. And which seems to be the motivation behind Hamas, and behind the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who, in the 1930s & 40s was all hot to trot for genocidal extermination of the Jews. From The Flight of the Intellectuals (highly recommended) by Paul Berman:
The Brotherhood wanted to subsume local nationalisms of every sort into a broader idea of Islamic unity everywhere, encompassing every par of the world that used to be ruled by the ancient empire and the early Muslim Caliphs, together with any further zones that later on converted to Islam. ....

And, in this manner, al-Banna and his followers created the original institutional model for what has come to be known as "Islamism" - with the suffix "ism" trailing after Islam to distinguish al-Banna's political and more-than-political twentieth-century renewal movement from the ancient religion itself. ....

The number of people all over the world who have come to look on the Muslim Brotherhood and its Islamist legacies with ardent veneration has by now become immearsurably large, and this is true nowadays even in Western Europe. ....

[Sheik Yusuf] Qaradawi [in his Islamic Education and Hassan al-Banna] explains that al-Banna taught the Muslim Brotherhood to engage in Islamic education, to be followed by a massive struggle or jihad, to be followed, ultimately, by worldwide domination. .... [pgs 32-43]
The fucking barbarians are at the gates, and in a rather large number of fifth columns inside them (Berman suggests 20 million Muslims in Europe). If "we" - our fearless leaders - don't start reading the Riot Act, and get their heads out of their arses then Europe at least is going to be toast. Although there are some hopeful signs:
'Time to act' Italy calls for mass migrant deportations as half a million refugees arrive

TERROR attacks across Europe have sparked a new push to see illegal immigrants sent home from Italy as the police are told to toughen up on refugees in 2017. ....
The only solution - apart from: Mecca, nukes, from orbit, just to be sure - is to ban Islam, to close all of the mosques and madrasas - to start with, wholesale deportations if the "virus" isn't eradicated. As Bhurzum quite reasonably noted, we are at war with Islam - if a defacto one; in which case it might be wise to respond accordingly.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Blow Fl. This is the saddest thing in the world.

http://i.imgur.com/bdjqJIk.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Is Becky trying to go the Pew Die Pie route?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

What's the female equivalent of blue balls? Blue labia? This is the second time that McEwen. Has posted about a mass shooting, all moist at the thought of ranting about white privilege and toxic masculinity only to be denied.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For some reason Sandy Hymen comes to mind.

Don't know why I'm thinking about Jewish comediennes though.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

katamari Damassi wrote:What's the female equivalent of blue balls? Blue labia? This is the second time that McEwen. Has posted about a mass shooting, all moist at the thought of ranting about white privilege and toxic masculinity only to be denied.
Blue Bean:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... lue%20Bean

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brietbart reminds us how mental they are:
Site of Ft. Lauderdale Airport Shooting a Gun-Free Zone

On January 6 a passenger from an Air Canada flight allegedly pulled a gun from a checked bag in baggage claim and opened fire, shooting numerous innocents inside the passenger terminal.

Florida law designates an airport “passenger terminal” as one of the many places that law-abiding citizens are not allowed to carry a gun for self-defense.

The Florida Senate’s list of Florida Statutes states that a “[concealed carry] license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into…the inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft.”

In other words, it is legal to have a gun with you if it is “encased” for travel–say, for the purposes of a hunting or shooting trip–but it is not legal to have one otherwise. This mean law-abiding Floridians with concealed carry licenses were barred from having their guns on their persons for self-defense while at the baggage claim where the January 6 attack occurred. The Crime Prevention Research Center notes that “Florida is one of only six states that completely ban concealed carry at airports.”
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... free-zone/

katamari Damassi

Question for our resident physicists: suppose you had a device that could make dark matter "sticky". You place a bunch of these around the core of Mars. You turn on the machines and any dark matter passing through their fields, accumulates. After many years once the gravity of the planet has doubled, you shut them off. What are the effects on the planet's orbit? What happens to its moons?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:"Don't mention Islam", an article on the denial of the common muslim supremacist motivation and support for terrorism.
The data show that the “politically correct” regressive-leftist refusal to speak forthrightly about Islamist terrorism played a powerful — in fact, probably decisive — role in sending Trump to the White House. Last summer, a Pew Research Center survey found that eight out of ten registered voters considered terrorism “very important” in their decision about how to vote in November. Hillary Clinton’s stubborn obfuscation and puerile remarks on the subject surely did nothing to assuage their fears. Trump easily (and crudely) exploited this issue — indeed, made it a signature issue of his campaign — and defeated her.
Great post at Quillette. And I see that Jerry Coyne discusses it in one of his own. So I expect, or at least hope, that the author of the article and The Washington Post get an earful - for emphasis, y'all may wish to let them both know that you're not at all amused:

But, en passant, great post taking down Hornbeck over his dispute with Coyne over evolution; might even get a chance to read all of it myself. :-) But you might consider posting it, or an abbreviated version of it, over at Sinmantyx (curious name for a blog and may suggest some problematic aspects of Melby's outlook), although I might suggest adding a TL-DR/abstract. Seems rather important to confront ignorance and dogma wherever it manifests itself; "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil" - and all that.

And, somewhat along the same line, as you seem somewhat knowledgeable about or interested in the topic, you might be interested in Hornbeck's latest wherein he attempts to take Stephen Pinker to task (Steven Pinker, Crank) through his somewhat credible use of thermodynamics.

katamari Damassi

BTW-I'm currently in Fort Lauderdale on a cruise ship-my honeymoon. Our departure time is delayed several hours due to the incident.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Steersman wrote: Maybe it wasn't his goal - moot - but it seems to be a salient if not defining one for a rather large percentage of Muslims. Which is the essence of Islamism which seems to have gotten its start with the founding of the Muslim Brotherhood in the 1920s by Hassan al-Banna. And which seems to be the motivation behind Hamas, [snip]
They have a pledge/charter/covenant type thing where they state they are a branch of the Muslim brotherhood.... however they also state they are an Anti-Zionist, Nationalist, humanist organization, who are tolerant of all religions including Jews, who wish to live in Islamic Palestine. And they state their sphere is strictly Palestine.
Steersman wrote: and behind the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who, in the 1930s & 40s was all hot to trot for genocidal extermination of the Jews.
...well, if you look at who he associated with, you can see that you don't have to be muslim to be hot for the genocidal extermination of the Jews!
Thankfully, the Palestinians didn't pay much attention to him and remained loyal to Britain, as did the Egyptians... and in French colonies, it was the native units who were first to come over to de Gaulle. But frankly Arabs had very little understanding or European politics (nor did most Europeans for that matter, it wasn't like anti-semitism was a talking point till the war was over), Islam wasn't much of a feature of their aspirations either, it was various forms of nationalism. After that, many dabbled in communism.

free thoughtpolice

This is how the fake news conspiracies get going. One of Alex Jones "investigators" is listening to the "MSM" and finds an inconsistency in the original reports and decides there is a conspiracy behind it. The shooting happened at a desk that Air Canada shares with Delta Airlines so some reports concluded he came in from an Air Canada flight. Sloppy.
Apparently he came in on a Delta flight from Alaska and that is why Air Canada denied he was a passenger, but this jackass takes the contradiction as evidence of a giant gubmint conspiracy.
[youtube][/youtube]
Speaking of sloppy news, a few minutes ago CNN just contradicted itself again by saying he was on an Alaskan Airlines flight. A combination of making statements before the facts are in and witness reports have been checked and making insinuations grounded on mistake or receiving a poorly worded message is the culprit, not the Illuminati.

free thoughtpolice

Vicky Caramel wrote:
.well, if you look at who he associated with, you can see that you don't have to be muslim to be hot for the genocidal extermination of the Jews!
Yes, al-Husayni, Yasser Arafat's uncle was buddies with Hitler and agreed with extermination. Not surprising that the Jews wanted their own country with assholes like that representing many if not most of the arabs in the region.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

katamari Damassi wrote:Question for our resident physicists: suppose you had a device that could make dark matter "sticky". You place a bunch of these around the core of Mars. You turn on the machines and any dark matter passing through their fields, accumulates. After many years once the gravity of the planet has doubled, you shut them off. What are the effects on the planet's orbit? What happens to its moons?
Not a physicist but the planet's orbit around the sun is dictated by the sun's gravitational field not Mars's mass, so it would carry on in the same orbit.

Mars's moon's orbits are dictated by Mars's gravitational field and that would increase so - I think - they'd fall to the planet.

I could be totally wrong.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

So is it ISIS or is it a nutter.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Shatterface wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Question for our resident physicists: suppose you had a device that could make dark matter "sticky". You place a bunch of these around the core of Mars. You turn on the machines and any dark matter passing through their fields, accumulates. After many years once the gravity of the planet has doubled, you shut them off. What are the effects on the planet's orbit? What happens to its moons?
Not a physicist but the planet's orbit around the sun is dictated by the sun's gravitational field not Mars's mass, so it would carry on in the same orbit.

Mars's moon's orbits are dictated by Mars's gravitational field and that would increase so - I think - they'd fall to the planet.

Not a physicist either, but I'm unsure about your first assertion. If Mars's density and mass were suddenly doubled, how could that not affect some aspect of its orbit? Speed, orbital diameter, something surely changes?

free thoughtpolice

rayshul wrote:So is it ISIS or is it a nutter.
If he was "hearing voices" to tell him to go on jihad it suggests it is a real mental illness, possibly schizophrenia and his deluded behavior is influenced by ISIS. The facts keep on changing on this though so..

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Not a physicist either, but I'm unsure about your first assertion. If Mars's density and mass were suddenly doubled, how could that not affect some aspect of its orbit? Speed, orbital diameter, something surely changes?
If the Earth suddenly vanished beneath your feet I'm pretty sure you'd carry on in the same orbit around the sun even though you are far lighter than the Earth.

Strictly speaking a planet orbits around the barycentre - the centre of gravity - of the system which isn't exactly at the centre of the sun but the sun's mass is so huge compared with that of Earth of Mars that doubling the planets mass would only alter the orbit by a few minutes.

Mars has a smaller radius than Earth so if you increase the mass without altering the radius the escape velocity would be greater and Matt Damon would be fucked.

free thoughtpolice

If the Earth suddenly vanished beneath your feet I'm pretty sure you'd carry on in the same orbit around the sun even though you are far lighter than the Earth.
Wouldn't the moon influence it and given it wouldn't be orbiting the earth have it's orbit changed?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Wouldn't the moon influence it and given it wouldn't be orbiting the earth have it's orbit changed?
I think the Moon would carry on orbiting the Sun at the same distance.

I'm not sure what catastrophe could remove the Earth like this though. It was really just a random thought.

IIRC, in the BBC radio show Earthsearch the last survivors of a space disaster return to the solar system and find the Earth gone but the Moon still orbiting the sun. I can't remember what had happened though.

Mutant Star Goat maybe.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

If he was "hearing voices" to tell him to go on jihad it suggests it is a real mental illness, possibly schizophrenia and his deluded behavior is influenced by ISIS. The facts keep on changing on this though so..
I suspect what this will boil down to is that the guy has a real mental illness (Walking into an FBI office and telling them that ISIS voices in your head are telling you to do things). But at the same time, a guy doesn't get a scarf like that unless he in interest in Arab culture. So it will probably be a bit of both. Not an either/or situation.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

An orbit is basically falling but missing the Earth/Mars/Sun.

It is a matter of acceleration.

A feather would fall at the same rate as a canonball if it wasn't for wind resistance so I think orbits would be the same: a more massive object would have the same acceleration as a less massive object.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Acceleration being a change in velocity, and velocity being a vector quantity defined by direction as well as speed.

An orbit is a parabola so the direction is changing even if the speed remains the same and thus the object is accelerating.

I think.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Stop making me think.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

free thoughtpolice wrote:This is how the fake news conspiracies get going. One of Alex Jones "investigators" is listening to the "MSM" and finds an inconsistency in the original reports and decides there is a conspiracy behind it. The shooting happened at a desk that Air Canada shares with Delta Airlines so some reports concluded he came in from an Air Canada flight. Sloppy.
Apparently he came in on a Delta flight from Alaska and that is why Air Canada denied he was a passenger, but this jackass takes the contradiction as evidence of a giant gubmint conspiracy.
[youtube]...[/youtube]
Speaking of sloppy news, a few minutes ago CNN just contradicted itself again by saying he was on an Alaskan Airlines flight. A combination of making statements before the facts are in and witness reports have been checked and making insinuations grounded on mistake or receiving a poorly worded message is the culprit, not the Illuminati.
Yeah, but these Alex Jones-style conspiracy loons always admit when they make an error. Don't they?

:lol: :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:
No way. I remember some equation involving G, M1, and M2, so the mass of both objects is important (Sun and Earth+me versus Sun and Me-Earth). If the Earth were suddenly removed from existence, I just believe (in a religious way, would be happy to have it explained that I am wrong) that I would go flying off on my current vector of rotational movement relative to the Earth. So I could be flung towards the Sun, away from it, or an infinity of directions in between.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

deLurch wrote:
I suspect what this will boil down to is that the guy has a real mental illness (Walking into an FBI office and telling them that ISIS voices in your head are telling you to do things). But at the same time, a guy doesn't get a scarf like that unless he in interest in Arab culture. So it will probably be a bit of both. Not an either/or situation.
Schizophrenics seem to interpret voices in their head according to the dominant myths of the day.

It used to be God, then aliens, now maybe it's ISIS.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:If the Earth suddenly vanished beneath your feet I'm pretty sure you'd carry on in the same orbit around the sun even though you are far lighter than the Earth.
Angular momentum from the earth's rotation would eventually push you either towards or away from the sun, unless you happen to be standing on the north or south pole when it happened.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface wrote:
No way. I remember some equation involving G, M1, and M2, so the mass of both objects is important (Sun and Earth+me versus Sun and Me-Earth). If the Earth were suddenly removed from existence, I just believe (in a religious way, would be happy to have it explained that I am wrong) that I would go flying off on my current vector of rotational movement relative to the Earth. So I could be flung towards the Sun, away from it, or an infinity of directions in between.
I was ignoring the rotation of the Earth for simplicity.

The example of the Earth vanishing was just to make the point that an object the mass of the Earth would orbit at the same distance as an object the mass of a single human.

Think of a rocket traveling to the moon: it already has the same orbital velocity around the sun as the Earth does even though it has achieved escape velocity from the Earth.

You can largely ignore the sun in your calculations because Earth, Moon and rocket can be treated as if they are one system since we are all orbiting the sun together.

For the rocket to achieve escape velocity out of the solar system it would have to go a lot faster. The Earth doesn't spin fast enough to fling you into deep space even if it suddenly vanished.

free thoughtpolice

I'm guessing you'd get sucked into a giant goalpost. :ugeek:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
I was ignoring the rotation of the Earth for simplicity.

For the rocket to achieve escape velocity out of the solar system it would have to go a lot faster. The Earth doesn't spin fast enough to fling you into deep space even if it suddenly vanished.
Unless you got seriously luck and "used" the planets to slingshot you, like we did with Voyager.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Speed of the Earth at the equator is about 460 m/s.

Orbital velocity of the Earth around the sun is 30 km/s.

IIRC, the escape velocity at a particular point of is the same as the orbital velocity.

So even if the Earth vanished while you were standing at the equator and you were flung out at a tangent at 460 m/s you would have nowhere near the velocity needed to fly off into deep space.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Someone give dogen a poke. This is his field, isn't it?

free thoughtpolice

Shatterface wrote:Speed of the Earth at the equator is about 460 m/s.

IIRC, the escape velocity at a particular point of is the same as the orbital velocity.

So even if the Earth vanished while you were standing at the equator and you were flung out at a tangent at 460 m/s you would have nowhere near the velocity needed to fly off into deep space.
It wouldn't change the orbit at all?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Vicky Caramel wrote:
.well, if you look at who he associated with, you can see that you don't have to be muslim to be hot for the genocidal extermination of the Jews!
Yes, al-Husayni, Yasser Arafat's uncle was buddies with Hitler and agreed with extermination. Not surprising that the Jews wanted their own country with assholes like that representing many if not most of the arabs in the region.
Arafat is of the al-Husseini clan in Gaza, NOT the al-Husayni clan of Jerusalem -- same name, different people. They aren't even of the same clan, let alone tribe, let alone family. If you get all your information from zionist propaganda, you are going to make mistakes like that.

If you are thinking that Grand Mufti of Jerusalem is some esteemed position that gave al-Husseini some kind of authority, it doesn't. Elections were held for the position in which al-Husseini came 4th out of 4. The British appointed him to the position anyway because they had given the position of mayor of Jerusalem to somebody from a rival clan and wanted to avoid inter-clan rivalry.

Mohammed Amin al-Husseini was NOT particularly representative of even Jerusalem Palestinians (being as he was from a minority clan), let alone "most Arabs" (despite claiming he represented " Iraq, Syria, Palestine, and Transjordan"). He only managed to recruit a handful of Arabs to his cause, and most of them only joined out of fear that their families would end up in the concentration camps. This is why his legion was filled with Bosnians and Germans wounded on the Russian front. He couldn't muster support in either Palestine or amongst European Muslims despite pressure on those communities by the Germans who quickly realized al-Husseini was somebody of no importance. He should have faded into obscurity ...but he became a lazy way for knuckleheads to try to link Muslims to the Nazis around in 2003.

We only really know about al-Husayni from his own postwar memoirs, and there are a few problems with those. While he is proposing to solve the Jewish question in the Levant in the way it was solved in Germany... and while claiming to answer Germany's call to answer the Jewish question... he seems to be reporting this with hindsight of knowing what the top secret "final solution" was. Of course, it suits the Israelis nicely to take this to mean that the Final Solution was all his idea, and that it was a filthy Muslim who whispered the idea of death camps into Hitler's ear. Those of us who are a bit more skeptical tend to believe that the Grand Mufti is full of shit.

And if Jews wanted their own country after the Nazis had been dealt with in Europe, why the hell would you pick a place surrounded by the only people left who want to kill you?

free thoughtpolice

And if Jews wanted their own country after the Nazis had been dealt with in Europe, why the hell would you pick a place surrounded by the only people left who want to kill you?
Why would arabs care if Jooze moved into their neighborhood and refused to pay jizya? It was for religious reasons, not nationalist ones as some people assert. :P

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

katamari Damassi wrote:BTW-I'm currently in Fort Lauderdale on a cruise ship-my honeymoon. Our departure time is delayed several hours due to the incident.
Time to get some Santorum going!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

100% column A, 100% column B.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Why would arabs care if Jooze moved into their neighborhood and refused to pay jizya? It was for religious reasons, not nationalist ones as some people assert. :P
So a significant number illegal immigrants move into your country posing as refugees despite the countries they come from being safe, they can't even speak the language, threatening your culture and identity, wanting to turn it into a religious state. A sizable number are religious extremists, a minority are terrorists, although a significant minority. They are committing acts of terror and are funded by a foreign state... And the authorities just open the doors and do nothing.

Who would object to a situation like that?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

But as I said, you could get lucky and have a slingshot effect from the giant planets.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

It doesn't really matter, the left will say he's a nutter, the right will say he's ISIS, there will be another attack in a few days and they will have the same argument all over again.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Shatterface wrote:
Force of Gravity = (G * M1 * m2) / r^2 where G is some universal gravitational constant and M1 is mass of sun.

For a stable orbital system the gravitational force must equal the centripetal force of the orbiting mass: F = m * v^2 / r

So (G * M1 * m2) / r^2 = m2 * v^2 / r where m2 would be the earth in a Sun/Earth system.

Things cancel out and we get:

G * M1 / r = v^2

v = square root of( G * M1 / r)

or

r = G * M1 / v^2

So doubling an objects mass does not affect that objects orbit around another mass since it's mass increases it's centripetal force and it's gravitational force equally, so Mars' orbit around the sun would not be affected in a doubling of it's mass but that increase in mass would affect the orbit of it's moons. With the new mass of Mars the gravitational force would double while the Mars moons would still have the same centripetal force it had at equilibrium. Therefore, a net force of the moon towards Mars. It would fall towards Mars in an ever decreasing orbit.

If I missed something, sorry, my Physics 100/101 courses were a long time ago.

free thoughtpolice

Some one that tried to exterminate the people they hated and lost the war?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

But as I said, you could get lucky and have a slingshot effect from the giant planets.
You'd need to reach the giant planets first and the 460 m/s you'd get from being flung from the equator if the Earth vanished isn't going to get you there.

free thoughtpolice

You'd need to reach the giant planets first and the 460 m/s you'd get from being flung from the equator if the Earth vanished isn't going to get you there.
Would the momentum generated by the earth just disappear? If not it would alter the orbit around the sun to some degree?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote:
So a significant number illegal immigrants move into your country posing as refugees despite the countries they come from being safe, they can't even speak the language, threatening your culture and identity, wanting to turn it into a religious state. A sizable number are religious extremists, a minority are terrorists, although a significant minority. They are committing acts of terror and are funded by a foreign state... And the authorities just open the doors and do nothing.

Definitely a bit of a sticky wicket, although one might suggest, somewhat tentatively, that there really wasn't a country there at the time of all of that immigration, being just a British Protectorate, more or less from the time of the Balfour Declaration to the time when Israel was created as a state. Although I note from Wikipedia on that Declaration that it "was seen as a betrayal of British understandings with Arabs".

But, on the topic of your previous post, particularly your statement that "Arafat is of the al-Husseini clan in Gaza, NOT the al-Husayni clan of Jerusalem", while you seem quite knowledgeable on the topic, and I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, you might wish to check your facts. According to Wikipedia the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, and the one in bed with Hitler - a friendship that was a beautiful thing, was Mohammed Amin al-Husseini - as you suggested - while his predecessor had been Kamil al-Husayni.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:

Ah, okay, I see now.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Force of Gravity = (G * M1 * m2) / r^2 where G is some universal gravitational constant and M1 is mass of sun.

For a stable orbital system the gravitational force must equal the centripetal force of the orbiting mass: F = m * v^2 / r

So (G * M1 * m2) / r^2 = m2 * v^2 / r where m2 would be the earth in a Sun/Earth system.

G * M1 / r = v^2

or

r = G * M1 / v^2

So doubling an objects mass does not affect that objects orbit around another mass since it's mass increases it's centripetal force and it's gravitational force equally, so Mars' orbit around the sun would not be affected in a doubling of it's mass but that increase in mass would affect the orbit of it's moons. With the new mass of Mars the gravitational force would double while the Mars moons would still have the same centripetal force it had at equilibrium. Therefore, a net force of the moon towards Mars. It would fall towards Mars in an ever decreasing orbit.

Thanks. I'm on my phone so flipping between posting and calculating would be a pain in the arse, and I'd forgot I could use a ^ symbol for powers when I googled the equations.

I suspect dogen might quibble over 'centripetal force' being a 'pseudo-force' and refer to inertia instead.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Force of Gravity = (G * M1 * m2) / r^2 where G is some universal gravitational constant and M1 is mass of sun.

G * M1 / r = v^2

or

r = G * M1 / v^2

So if Mars suddenly doubled its density and thus mass, nothing would happen to its orbit? Changes in its own axial rotation speed either wouldn't happen or wouldn't do anything to alter its solar orbit, the orbital route would not change, and its speed along that orbital route would not change?

I find that frigging amazing. What if the sudden change was to 4 times its density/mass? 8 times? 1,000 times? At what point would a change do anything to its orbit?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Some one that tried to exterminate the people they hated and lost the war?
It may have escaped your attention but The Egyptians and the Turks were actively hindering the Axis while secretly helping the Allies. Over half a million muslims fought for the Allies, from places like Palestine, Syria, Transjordan, Algeria, Morocco, Chad, Nigeria, Ghana, Sudan, Abyssinia and of course India. I think it's fair to say that Muslims were on the winning side.