free thoughtpolice

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:If UC Berkeley doesn't cooperate with the authorities I'm actually on the side of the Orange Nightmare on this specific issue. If the staff or students of an university support violence against people who have done nothing but be invited there to give a speech or go there to listen to the speech, and if the university does nothing to punish those who have admitted to being a part of a crowd of violent people and have justified the violence then you should cut public funds to that university.
The mayor told the police to stand down. To a certain degree, I can understand that as a tactic in some circumstances. But when it comes to black block, it isn't as if you are confusing innocent protesters with violent thugs.

However, I have my doubts that the police are going to follow up on any of the admissions of assault. The names of one of the the black bloc who is a staff member at UC Berkely is known. And I have yet to hear that either the police or the University have followed up on this.

It appears that both the University administration & the police (they may be following instructions) are complicit and/or following orders.
Has that been confirmed or is that still just speculation? I haven't seen any evidence that this actually happened, and if you have some I'd appreciate it. If she said it, then she needs to be prosecuted.

I'm also curious as to others' conflation with the student newspaper and the administration of the school. Does the administration manage and edit the content of the paper, or have approval of what gets published? The idea of punishing a university for the actions of students (or even employees) is not palatable. Too close to the idea of punishing thought crime. If there were members of the administration or staff who were actively supporting the rioters, then they should be punished. Same for students. Those who are simply agreeing with them are exercising their rights of free speech. Criminal actions should be punished, but wrongthink is not a crime, despite the authoritarian ideologues on the left and right. The only exception that I am aware of are those who might have been involved in planning the actions even if they did not participate - conspiracy to commit a crime IIRC..

free thoughtpolice

Obviously the MSM didn't want you to see this.
[youtube][/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Sorry - since November 1964.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface wrote:Sorry - since November 1964.
This being an amendment to an earlier post, not an apology for my life.

GreenBubble

Post by GreenBubble »

deLurch wrote:OK. GreenBubble. So in essence you agree that increased Carbon Dioxide is affecting climate change. But you are proposing that climate change is a good thing. Right?

yes sir.

we cant affect the main causes of CC eg. solar output , milankovitch cycles , albedo effect... etc. its pure diversion (if I'm being honest i would put CO2 at around 8th to 10th place in reasons , and even then its so negligible with such a massive upside its a travesty to be even talking about it , that's why i get irate , just watching the waste in economic and scientific terms , it hurts.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ween - Push Th' Little Daisies (live)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Badger3k wrote:Has that been confirmed or is that still just speculation? I haven't seen any evidence that this actually happened, and if you have some I'd appreciate it. If she said it, then she needs to be prosecuted.

I'm also curious as to others' conflation with the student newspaper and the administration of the school. Does the administration manage and edit the content of the paper, or have approval of what gets published? The idea of punishing a university for the actions of students (or even employees) is not palatable. Too close to the idea of punishing thought crime. If there were members of the administration or staff who were actively supporting the rioters, then they should be punished. Same for students. Those who are simply agreeing with them are exercising their rights of free speech. Criminal actions should be punished, but wrongthink is not a crime, despite the authoritarian ideologues on the left and right. The only exception that I am aware of are those who might have been involved in planning the actions even if they did not participate - conspiracy to commit a crime IIRC..
Cutting government funds isn't a legal punishment, though. I think that if the university doesn't distance itself from the preaching of illiberal ideas and doesn't sanction them, if only by saying that they don't represent the position of UC Berkeley on freedom of speech, then there's room for justifying cutting federal funds to an institution where ideas that go against the fundamental principles of the US constitution are taught.

If I were an American I wouldn't want my tax money to finance an institution where people are taught that using violence for political means is A-OK. I'm pretty sure that an university where nazis are allowed to teach how to commit genocide wouldn't receive government money.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

GreenBubble wrote:
deLurch wrote:OK. GreenBubble. So in essence you agree that increased Carbon Dioxide is affecting climate change. But you are proposing that climate change is a good thing. Right?
yes sir.

we cant affect the main causes of CC eg. solar output , milankovitch cycles , albedo effect... etc. its pure diversion (if I'm being honest i would put CO2 at around 8th to 10th place in reasons , and even then its so negligible with such a massive upside its a travesty to be even talking about it , that's why i get irate , just watching the waste in economic and scientific terms , it hurts.
What about methane?

I have been holding in one major tuba blast for the past decade. It is starting to get a little painful and my belly is extended. Can I let her rip now? Or should I cover her head with a blanket before the big production?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

GreenBubble wrote:
yes sir.

What about methane?

I have been holding in one major tuba blast for the past decade. It is starting to get a little painful and my belly is extended. Can I let her rip now? Or should I cover her head with a blanket before the big production?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:Cutting government funds isn't a legal punishment, though. I think that if the university doesn't distance itself from the preaching of illiberal ideas and doesn't sanction them, if only by saying that they don't represent the position of UC Berkeley on freedom of speech, then there's room for justifying cutting federal funds to an institution where ideas that go against the fundamental principles of the US constitution are taught.

If I were an American I wouldn't want my tax money to finance an institution where people are taught that using violence for political means is A-OK. I'm pretty sure that an university where nazis are allowed to teach how to commit genocide wouldn't receive government money.
In the US? Are you sure?

The Federal government threatened to cut highway funds unless states enacted drinking age laws which eventually raised to the age of 21. I thought the action was questionable, but I never saw anyone successfully fight it on a legal basis.

free thoughtpolice

deLurch wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:
yes sir.

What about methane?

As methane is many times more damaging than CO2 as a greenhouse gas, it would be preferable to burn it rather than releasing raw methane.
Ideally you could capture the gas and use it to heat your house or ht water. :ugeek:

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

deLurch wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Cutting government funds isn't a legal punishment, though. I think that if the university doesn't distance itself from the preaching of illiberal ideas and doesn't sanction them, if only by saying that they don't represent the position of UC Berkeley on freedom of speech, then there's room for justifying cutting federal funds to an institution where ideas that go against the fundamental principles of the US constitution are taught.

In the US? Are you sure?

The Federal government threatened to cut highway funds unless states enacted drinking age laws which eventually raised to the age of 21. I thought the action was questionable, but I never saw anyone successfully fight it on a legal basis.
Also the Title IX campus kangaroo courts exist solely because the Obama admin threatened to pull Federal funding if colleges didn't reduce due process protections v for students accused of sexual assault.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

deLurch wrote: What about methane?

You should use it to power an impressive Dutch Oven.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... tch%20oven

GreenBubble

Post by GreenBubble »

going out shortly so v. quick reply , will respond further later if required.

Methane is mentioned in the video linked , (trying to choose my words) its quite an active gas to begin with so its life is fairly short , i think in ideal conditions if you can get it to last longer than 10 years its an achievement . in the video i think Dr Christy mentions around 6 days in the wild , burning it as a fuel is one option as freethought mentions and many other processes as a potential feedstock for other chemical processes , but I'm not worried excessively about a molecule that oxidizes into ozone , anything to replenish our main barrier to UV radiation cant be a bad thing.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ween - The Rift

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
Just to clarify the amendment (or amend the clarification) Dr Who first screened on November 23rd 1963 (I remember the date due other things of import happening in the news around the same time).

Are you saying that he has also been in comics since November 1964?

I'm sure that there were comics out by 1966 to tie in with the Peter Cushing movie - but I did not know of any before that.

dogen

Post by dogen »

GreenBubble wrote:

Methane is mentioned in the video linked , (trying to choose my words) its quite an active gas to begin with so its life is fairly short , i think in ideal conditions if you can get it to last longer than 10 years its an achievement . in the video i think Dr Christy mentions around 6 days in the wild , burning it as a fuel is one option as freethought mentions and many other processes as a potential feedstock for other chemical processes , but I'm not worried excessively about a molecule that oxidizes into ozone , anything to replenish our main barrier to UV radiation cant be a bad thing.
I'm eager to learn how methane oxidizes into ozone, and how rising CO2 levels will not cause further ocean acidification. Please therefore rush me my first three issues of New Chemistry For Libertarian EaglesShitbirds without delay, at the introductory price of only $1.99 plus SH.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Badger3k wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:If UC Berkeley doesn't cooperate with the authorities I'm actually on the side of the Orange Nightmare on this specific issue. If the staff or students of an university support violence against people who have done nothing but be invited there to give a speech or go there to listen to the speech, and if the university does nothing to punish those who have admitted to being a part of a crowd of violent people and have justified the violence then you should cut public funds to that university.
The mayor told the police to stand down. To a certain degree, I can understand that as a tactic in some circumstances. But when it comes to black block, it isn't as if you are confusing innocent protesters with violent thugs.

However, I have my doubts that the police are going to follow up on any of the admissions of assault. The names of one of the the black bloc who is a staff member at UC Berkely is known. And I have yet to hear that either the police or the University have followed up on this.

It appears that both the University administration & the police (they may be following instructions) are complicit and/or following orders.
Has that been confirmed or is that still just speculation? I haven't seen any evidence that this actually happened, and if you have some I'd appreciate it. If she said it, then she needs to be prosecuted.

In not in favor withholding Federal funds or for censoring the student newspaper. That being said, when students brag about their participation in criminal acts in the school newspaper, it indicates that they have no fear of suffering consequences for their actions from the University. Additionally, the Berkeley admin has been claiming that it was only outside agitators, not students that were rioting. Furthermore, Berkeley prof. and former labor sec. Robert Reich has claimed on CNN and other media outlets that the rioters were right wing provocateurs sent by Milo and Breitbart. Yet those op-eds have students bragging about participating in the riots. At least two of those pieces also make the claim that the rioters were mostly students and staff. So we can see from this that the students participated in the riots, support them, unlike what the UC Berkeley admin is claiming. They also show that the mental midget Robert Reich is completely delusional and/or full of shit.

John D

Post by John D »

dogen wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:

I'm eager to learn how methane oxidizes into ozone, and how rising CO2 levels will not cause further ocean acidification. Please therefore rush me my first three issues of New Chemistry For Libertarian EaglesShitbirds without delay, at the introductory price of only $1.99 plus SH.
Methane reacts with ozone.... it does not make ozone. Details.

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-m ... atmosphere

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

As far as the Berkley paper publishing those editorials, I am glad they did. It provides clarification as to who was doing what. And I always fully support people openly admitting to crimes they have committed.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Just to clarify the amendment (or amend the clarification) Dr Who first screened on November 23rd 1963 (I remember the date due other things of import happening in the news around the same time).

Are you saying that he has also been in comics since November 1964?

I'm sure that there were comics out by 1966 to tie in with the Peter Cushing movie - but I did not know of any before that.
'The Klepton Parasites' began in TV Comic November 1964. I was very fond of the Daleks stories which ran alongside the Gerry Anderson strips in TV21 and the Pertwee stories in Countdown but some of the strips in Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly/Magazine have been better than the TV show.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_D ... es#/search

[/nerd]

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:As far as the Berkley paper publishing those editorials, I am glad they did. It provides clarification as to who was doing what. And I always fully support people openly admitting to crimes they have committed.
Berkley rioters as stupid as those kids who brag about stealing stuff on Facebook. "Just rioted bra... and helped do $500k damage!" "Just robbed the Quicky Mart... love me some free money!" I hate people.

dogen

Post by dogen »

John D wrote:
dogen wrote:
GreenBubble wrote: going out shortly so v. quick reply , will respond further later if required.

Right, so GreenBubble's suggestion that methane will replenish the ozone layer is as laughable as his other claims.

Guest_87395744

Post by Guest_87395744 »

Are any pitters lawyers?

sfchronicle dot com/bayarea/article/Anti-Milo-organizer-Window-smashing-Cal-protest-10915758.php
Organizers of the anti-Milo Yiannopoulos demonstration last week at UC Berkeley that ended in $100,000 worth of window-breaking chaos declared it a “stunningly successful” protest — one they’ll happily repeat if the right-wing provocateur tries to return to campus.

“We are happy with the results,” said UC Berkeley Law School alumnus Ronald Cruz of the group By Any Means Necessary, or BAMN. “We were able to meet Mr. Yiannopoulos’ fascist message with massive resistance.”

An estimated 150 “black bloc” anarchists attacked police with rocks and fireworks and used barricades to smash windows at the student union Feb. 1, forcing the cancellation of Yiannopoulos’ appearance.

“We are not affiliated with them, but were united in shutting down the Milo event,” Cruz said.

“Everyone played a part,” he said. “Some engaged in breaking windows — others held signs and made sure that the fascists and the police did not attack anyone.

“This was self-defense,” Cruz said. “Windows can be replaced. People can’t be.”
That guy is a member of the bar. Does his statement violate any bar code of ethics?

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

John D wrote:
dogen wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:

I consulted a peer-reviewed Ph.D organic chemist* on this matter. She says Greenbubble is a twat. Methane helps degrade the ozone layer while increasing atmospheric CO2.

*shes also my daughter :clap:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_87395744 wrote:Are any pitters lawyers?

sfchronicle dot com/bayarea/article/Anti-Milo-organizer-Window-smashing-Cal-protest-10915758.php
Organizers of the anti-Milo Yiannopoulos demonstration last week at UC Berkeley that ended in $100,000 worth of window-breaking chaos declared it a “stunningly successful” protest — one they’ll happily repeat if the right-wing provocateur tries to return to campus.

“We are happy with the results,” said UC Berkeley Law School alumnus Ronald Cruz of the group By Any Means Necessary, or BAMN. “We were able to meet Mr. Yiannopoulos’ fascist message with massive resistance.”

An estimated 150 “black bloc” anarchists attacked police with rocks and fireworks and used barricades to smash windows at the student union Feb. 1, forcing the cancellation of Yiannopoulos’ appearance.

“We are not affiliated with them, but were united in shutting down the Milo event,” Cruz said.

“Everyone played a part,” he said. “Some engaged in breaking windows — others held signs and made sure that the fascists and the police did not attack anyone.

That guy is a member of the bar. Does his statement violate any bar code of ethics?
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/arti ... 915758.php

There are a few, but they seem to be nice enough to let us plebs speculate about legalities.

What do you think that lawyer has done or said that violates the bar code? It does not appear that he has admitted to any crime.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

It appears that the Berkley staffer who admitted to assaulting someone is now being investigated by the FBI and local police per a tweet from the Berkeley university.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/02/07 ... g-in-riot/

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Amazing. Just give these fools enough rope, and they will merrily hang themselves.

Spoiler alert: the chick reveals at the end that she did not vote. :doh:

[youtube][/youtube]
"If you're gay in Syria you get thrown off a roof."

"THAT'S SYRIA!!!"

:rimshot:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:
yes sir.

What about methane?

Methane is in general going to be about twice as potent a greenhouse gas as CO2, since it has nine degrees of vibrational freedom, versus the four degrees that CO2 has. However, it tends to get scrubbed out of the atmosphere rapidly by the hydroxyl radical (HO.), so its effect is not as great ad CO2. Feel free to let it out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:
GreenBubble wrote: yes sir.

What about methane?

Methane is in general going to be about twice as potent a greenhouse gas as CO2, since it has nine degrees of vibrational freedom, versus the four degrees that CO2 has. However, it tends to get scrubbed out of the atmosphere rapidly by the hydroxyl radical (HO.), so its effect is not as great ad CO2. Feel free to let it out.
This is the book you want:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:
yes sir.

What about methane?

This one is great too:

free thoughtpolice

The link in John D's post says methane has 20 times the effect of CO2. IMO DeLurch needs to put a tube up his butt and collect the methane to help solve the energy crisis as well as help combat global warming.
You're not in the pocket of big flatulence are you? :naughty:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Guest_b0ba6b61

Post by Guest_b0ba6b61 »

deLurch wrote:

There are a few, but they seem to be nice enough to let us plebs speculate about legalities.

What do you think that lawyer has done or said that violates the bar code? It does not appear that he has admitted to any crime.
I know less than nothing about the bar.

I believe the bar sets professional standards not just for how you act with your clients, but how you act in society.

So his advocacy of breaking the law, especially using violent means, seems that it might run afoul of the bar. And on top of that is his admission to taking part in the protest to support the actual violent actors.

For you and I that could just be speech, I am curious if the bar's own code restricts bar attorneys (and officers of the court) from this speech (while remaining members of the bar)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I don't think there is anything that lawyer said that could not easily be weaseled out of. He competently left himself plenty of wiggle room.

GreenBubble

Post by GreenBubble »

HunnyBunny wrote:
I consulted a peer-reviewed Ph.D organic chemist* on this matter. She says Greenbubble is a twat. Methane helps degrade the ozone layer while increasing atmospheric CO2.

I got my information from the following , i would love to understand my mistake (hopefully its just my terrible butchery of English), so if you get chance to ask your daughter again, corrections would be highly appreciated.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Featur ... ight3a.php

and

http://www.atmosresearch.com/NCGG2a%202002.pdf

<snip> Intro </snip>
Methane is also the most abundant reactive trace gas in the troposphere and its reactivity is important to both tropospheric and stratospheric chemistry. The oxidation of CH4 by hydroxyl (OH) in the troposphere leads to the formation of formaldehyde (CH2O), carbon monoxide (CO), and, with sufficient nitrogen oxides (NOx), to ozone (O3).

and

http://acmg.seas.harvard.edu/people/fac ... hap11.html

with regards to

11.3.3 Methane oxidation mechanism

thanks in advance.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

One of the very few images I could find of him, although I was using google which seems to provide ever more restricted results. He's the one in a suit.

Suffice it to say, unless he has been hitting the protein shakes pretty hard, then he looks like the usual antifa streak of piss. Catch any one of these rats on their own and you could snap them with a hard stare.

http://i.imgur.com/dgeQFvH.png

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

American Bar Association model rules, rule 8.4, Misconduct states:
It is professional misconduct for a lawyer to: ... (b) commit a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects;
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/profe ... nduct.html

You be the judge.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Shatterface wrote:
'The Klepton Parasites' began in TV Comic November 1964. I was very fond of the Daleks stories which ran alongside the Gerry Anderson strips in TV21 and the Pertwee stories in Countdown but some of the strips in Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly/Magazine have been better than the TV show.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_D ... es#/search

[/nerd]
Dr Who and the Daleks featured in Century TV21 from January 1965. I was a happy subscriber, although my parents disapproved, preferring me to read The Hotspur, but I was seven and had some pocket money. One story even had an emperor dalek, which was gold, and had a large shere for the upper half instead of the usual grill and dome. A couple years back I found a softback collection of all the issues and was surprised to find that I remembered the stories.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guest_b0ba6b61 wrote:I believe the bar sets professional standards not just for how you act with your clients, but how you act in society.
https://media.giphy.com/media/28gl5cd9rWqzu/giphy.gif

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Ape+lust wrote:PSA for pet owners.

http://imgur.com/8wweLnT.jpg
This is going to be with me for a while. I hate you and love your work!

dogen

Post by dogen »

GreenBubble wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

I got my information from the following , i would love to understand my mistake (hopefully its just my terrible butchery of English), so if you get chance to ask your daughter again, corrections would be highly appreciated.

and

<snip> Intro </snip>
Methane is also the most abundant reactive trace gas in the troposphere and its reactivity is important to both tropospheric and stratospheric chemistry. The oxidation of CH4 by hydroxyl (OH) in the troposphere leads to the formation of formaldehyde (CH2O), carbon monoxide (CO), and, with sufficient nitrogen oxides (NOx), to ozone (O3).
So, methane is not oxidized to ozone; rather, its oxidation can indirectly produce ozone in the presence of sufficient NOx concentrations. What is 'sufficient'? From the same article:
Correspondingly the change in ozone for complete oxidation of methane is +3.6 to 3.8 moles for the high NOx case and -1.7 to -1.8 moles for the low NOx case.
Here's the kicker: high NOx environments are synonymous with polluted environments. So, your ozone boost only kicks in when you hit Beijing air quality.

Keep on winning, dude.

Billie from Ockham

katamari Damassi wrote:Any chance of civil suits against the town and the university from those who sustained property damage?
Yes, but state-created danger suits don't succeed very often. You have to show that actual action (not just inaction) directly led to foreseeable harm. If the mayor did order the police to stand down, then he or she is the best target, but don't hold your breath.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

dogen wrote:
GreenBubble wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

and

<snip> Intro </snip>
So, methane is not oxidized to ozone; rather, its oxidation can indirectly produce ozone in the presence of sufficient NOx concentrations. What is 'sufficient'? From the same article:
Correspondingly the change in ozone for complete oxidation of methane is +3.6 to 3.8 moles for the high NOx case and -1.7 to -1.8 moles for the low NOx case.
Here's the kicker: high NOx environments are synonymous with polluted environments. So, your ozone boost only kicks in when you hit Beijing air quality.

Keep on winning, dude.
You should add that the kind of low altitude ozone you've described does not protect against UV radiation, but is instead a harmful inhalant.

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:Good news.

The Feds are now investigating Berkley.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/02/07/ ... y-rioters/

And this vigilante business is shit. Violence begets more violence. It turns into a mess of he/she started it first. The ONLY way out is for the authorities to come in and put some heads on a pike. We are talking 120-150 violent thugs, with some of them admitting their own guilt. I bet the bulk of them will rat out their compadres when placed in a police investigation room to save their own hides.
The key quote from that article, IMO, is this: "Immediately after the protests, which caused $100,000 in damage to the MLK student union, the Amazon store on its first floor, and at least one tree...." Thank His Noodliness that it was only one tree.

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:

In the US? Are you sure?

One difference between these two is how the money gets from the federal gov't to the road project or school ... either directly for the project or indirectly through grants to students and faculty. If Berkeley could somehow be "decertified," then grants could be cut off, but the gov't usually leaves the certification process to what are, in effect, guilds. For example, when a law school lost certification by the American Bar Association, students at the school lost access to Pell grants.

Billie from Ockham

shoutinghorse wrote:The LOL's :D

http://imgur.com/a/s4qbL
Given all the shit that is happening there, I think that a black Snork Maiden is exactly what Sweden needs at this moment.

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:I don't think there is anything that lawyer said that could not easily be weaseled out of. He competently left himself plenty of wiggle room.
Not only that, but the only activities unrelated to work that seem to get lawyers in trouble with the Bar involve sex (esp. child porn). My favorite example: driving a friend who specializes in DUI defense to court because he'd lost his license for DUI.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

The Yeti wrote:I really doubt that UC Berkeley is sincere about cooperating with authorities or trying to identify or punish the rioters. Why do I say this? The UC Berkeley student Paper, The Daily Californian, just ran a whole series of op-eds in support of the violent rioting.
http://www.dailycal.org/2017/02/07/viol ... f-defense/
<snip>
I don't want to see right wingers attacking left wing gatherings, nor do I want to see peaceful protesters being attacked. That being said, its about time that people on the right start defending themselves and fighting back against these violent assholes.
Indeed.

Hope all of those thugs at Berkeley, and the other protest marches, wind up with their asses in a sling.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

A couple of years ago someone joked about Salon-"Where speech is violence and violence is speech," and somehow that has come to pass everywhere and it's no longer a joke.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
deLurch wrote:I don't think there is anything that lawyer said that could not easily be weaseled out of. He competently left himself plenty of wiggle room.
Not only that, but the only activities unrelated to work that seem to get lawyers in trouble with the Bar involve sex (esp. child porn). My favorite example: driving a friend who specializes in DUI defense to court because he'd lost his license for DUI.
This makes perfect sense to me. Would you hire a vegan to be your barbecue pitmaster?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

HunnyBunny wrote: Methane reacts with ozone.... it does not make ozone. Details.

I once saw an article somewhere that since cows introduce lot of methane via farts we should kill all the cows (actually the proposal was to reduce the number of cows allowed to walk this Earth) and just stop eating cow meat because it was better for us anyway (because meat is murder).

*shrug*

I dunno anything about climate science so I avoid all videos, articles etc. pro and con on the subject, because I simply do not have the time to learn the science behind the reasoning. Anyone who tells me that this stuff is simple is going to get a kick in the 'nads BTW for being a moron.

I do have some observations though, but I will limit them to just two and not go on about ideologues, scammers, crooks, crony capitalists and various doofus in the media, government and industry who one way or the other have fucked up the public.

- We have always had climate change. Remember the recent Little Ice Age so well documented a few centuries ago? How about when global warming killed off the woolly mammoth, woolly rhino and giant sloth? Those areas were pretty warm as I recall for a long time after that till the climate changed cold again. We are talking about notoriously cold regions like Siberia.

- Green schemes, solar & wind power, carbon credits, cap & trade etc etc. etc. all wind up being scams that transfer wealth from the poor to the already wealthy via socialized costs and private profits. Latest example is the Ontario Energy crisis. Basically the Government signed a bunch of contracts for green energy at a great price for the energy company. The result is Ontario has more energy than it needs so it sells the excess to the USA, while the Ontario consumers have to make choices on paying the electricity bill or food. Last I heard around 60,000 people have had their power cut off. Most in rural areas.

*shrug*

Climate change is real and inevitable and there will be consequences. Helping us along the way are people who see opportunities to advance their agendas no matter what the costs to other people are, for whatever reason. Malice, incompetence, greed whatever. Pick any two. Take two aspirin. Shove one up your rectum. Hold the other one between your knees. Do not call me. I will call you (ha!)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote: <snip>

These days the fully paid-up neo marxists I know (mostly feminisim-derived) often try to make out that it is they who are the underclass now. But who's fault is it that the mickey-mouse degrees we all did lead to nothing? Certainly not people like my Dad who drives a van.
I think that as long as the po-mo SJ bullshit dominates the discourse on the left more and more people will lean right-wing populist, especially if any right-wing populist actually succeeds at kickstarting some form of even temporary economic progress. If these dynamics proceed as they are now the EU is in serious danger and Germany might find itself surrounded by countries with closed borders which more or less openly send or redirect people who immigrate there to Germany. Also social and ethnic tensions will grow higher and higher.
But seems that that "right-wing populist" movement has been motivated to a large extent by questions of immigration, and the fact that the "elites" have been particularly obtuse about the issue:
Breitbart: 16 European Nations Join Together to Defend Continent’s Borders, Say EU Has Failed

Express (Feb 8, 2017): SCHENGEN CRACKDOWN: Controls extended across EU over terror threat and migration crisis

Though that has certainly not been unique to Europe; from The Federalist, Why Do We Have A Refugee Crisis? Because Of Elite Failures On Foreign Policy And Immigration:
Ben Domenech wrote:There are some Americans inspired when they see sights like a “No Borders” sign waved in protest. There are others who voted for Trump precisely because they believe it’s not anti-Mexican or anti-Islamic to want a border in the first place. “Louise Ingram, a 69-year-old retiree from Troy, Alabama, said she forgave the new administration a few ‘glitches,’ such as widespread confusion over treatment of green card holders, as it moved to protect U.S. citizens from attacks. ‘I’m not opposed to immigrants,’ she said. ‘I just want to make sure they are safe to come in.'” And she is not wrong to want that.
But kind of looks like the EU is more or less toast, at least in its current incarnation, what with the UK Parliament voting "overwhelmingly" to leave; London Evening Standard:
Brexit bill: MPs vote in favour of Article 50 bill triggering Britain's exit from European Union

MPs have voted overwhelmingly to give Theresa May the power to trigger the start of Britain’s divorce talks from the European Union.

The House of Commons approved the Brexit bill at third reading, which allows the Prime Minister to begin withdrawal talks under Article 50 of the EU treaties. ....
Bloody good show. Eh. Seems to me that Hungary's Vicktor Orbán, as quoted in a recent post at Gatestone Europe, hit the nail squarely on the head:
Orbán wrote:The leaders of Europe always seem to emerge from the same elite, the same general frame of mind, the same schools, and the same institutions that rear generation after generation of politicians to this day. They take turns implementing the same policies. (…) large masses of people today want something radically different from what traditional elites want. This is the deep cause of the restlessness, anxiety, and tension erupting on the surface, time and again, in the wake of a terrorist attack or some other act of violence, or when we confront a seemingly unstoppable tidal wave of migration. ....

For decades, the mainstream answer to European problems was ‘more Europe‘. We have to recognize, however, that there are areas where we need more Europe and areas where we need less Europe. We need more Europe when common action at a European level — such as on security and defense — can help member states attain their national objectives. And there can be areas where we need less Europe, less red tape, and fewer regulatory burdens, to allow the member states to flourish through competition. (…) Europe today, is facing four different crises at the same time: crises of economic competitiveness, demography, security and foreign policy. It is time Europe confronts these problems, realize its potential and take action. It is time to make Europe great again.
Indeed.
Kirbmarc wrote:I fear that unless the left (and the moderate right) parties take their heads out of their asses and starts a process of anti-identity politics and anti-corporation reformation then it'd be right-wing populism which will call the shots, in Europe like in the US, and the left itself will collapse in the long run.
Quite right. Interesting post over at the WSJ that elaborates on that theme:
Sharp Left Turn Ahead—Beware

If Democrats have a road back to power, ‘the resistance’ will drive them off it.

[Senate Minority Leader] Chuck Schumer practically lives in the Senate, but these days there’s a lot going on at the house. Leftist throngs have been gathering outside Mr. Schumer’s residence in Brooklyn, N.Y., demanding that the Senate minority leader “get a spine” and oppose President Trump on everything. ....

Mr. Schumer isn’t alone in feeling pressure from the left. His party is deeply divided between pragmatic politicians and an activist base that styles itself “the resistance.” The minority leader may feel his survival depends on adopting the activist approach. But outside the heavily blue coasts, it could consign Democrats to permanent minority status, continuing a trend that has cost the party the White House, both houses of Congress, 13 governorships and nearly 1,000 state legislative seats in the past eight years. ....

If the Democratic Party’s activists cannot accept that victory requires selective cooperation with Mr. Trump as well as protection of their core values, the party itself could be condemned to further weakness, irrelevance and even obsolescence—beginning with the 2018 election.
Amusing memes thereon:

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" seems to be the "philosophy" and modus operandi of the Democrats these days.
Kirbmarc wrote:There's a real risk that some European country might go full Steersman.
That's a bad thing?
I suppose the process of acceptance [of scientific theories] will pass through the usual four stages:
(i) this is worthless nonsense;
(ii) this is an interesting, but perverse, point of view;
(iii) this is true, but quite unimportant;
(iv) I always said so.
;-)

Though I'm hardly the originator of that particular "theory" - been in the wind for a very long time, one of the more recent manifestations of note being Anthony Flew's review of Warraq's Why I'm Not a Muslim in which he argued that "Islam is flatly incompatible with the establishment and maintenance of the equal individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

4h11 minutes of PitKill. The Steersbot steals the all time record!

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Any chance of civil suits against the town and the university from those who sustained property damage?
Yes, but state-created danger suits don't succeed very often. You have to show that actual action (not just inaction) directly led to foreseeable harm. If the mayor did order the police to stand down, then he or she is the best target, but don't hold your breath.
Since you have elected mayors, wouldn't it be more prudent for this mayor to admit to a tactical mistake rather than be replaced by an ultra right-wing carrot lover upon the next elections?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Make Expertise Great Again
Nichols points out three fundamental flaws, none of them new, but each increasingly intertwined and pushing us towards societal collapse. First he addresses the current lack of civility in discussion and discourse across the West, and the broken social contract. Conversation, or debate, are not mere argumentative disputes anymore, they frequently border on open hostilities. People increasingly seem unable to debate without condemning their opponents as idiots, marking them as beneath respect for their views.
While social media driven superficiality is increasing, our education systems are becoming more degraded at the same time. In both the US and UK, universities have wound back the focus on factual knowledge, scientific inquiry, civics, history and ancient philosophy, and have started focusing on feelings, sociology, gender studies, post-colonial studies and other postmodern gibberish. This has naturally left a knowledge vacuum which has inevitably been filled by the superficial sound bytes gleaned from Facebook and Google.
This is having enormous effects. Rationality and wisdom are being discarded, and a quasi-Marxist forced equality — where frankly everyone thinks they are equal to everyone else in everything — regardless of their competence or quality, is resulting in a hyper-chaotic Dunning-Kruger world. It is not elitism or an appeal to authority to point that out, that democracy doesn’t mean everyone is qualitatively equal to everyone else in experience or knowledge. What it means is that everyone has equal protection under the law and is guaranteed some basic freedoms and rights. These are two fundamentally different concepts, but they are being blurred thanks to social media and the widespread lack of genuine education.
Modern universities, according to Nichols, have more or less ceased to be institutions of higher learning, and are nothing more than commercial enterprises, making up random, meaningless degrees with zero real world values, and urging naïve students to spend millions to “chase their dreams” regardless of the laws of demand and supply and future job prospects. As someone who recently started teaching at his second Uni, I wholeheartedly agree. Nothing in this planet is as annoying as self-satisfied undergrads with half-baked knowledge and zero wisdom.
It is less of death of expertise, but rather a dilution of expertise that has led to our current crisis point. And academics more than anyone else are responsible for that. It was academics who created Women’s Studies departments virtually overnight in the 1970s, without any consideration given to the scholarly foundations of such departments. It was academics who have promoted anti-scientific and anti-Enlightenment disciplines within the academy, under the euphemistic umbrella of “Critical Theory.” And it was academics who created self-referential journals, Impact Factor madness, and other research areas with zero policy relevance and real life utility. If our fellow academics receive thousands of dollars of taxpayer’s money to study “Real Vampires“, or “Whiteness of Pumpkin Spice Lattes” we are hardly absolved of blame, are we?
Interesting op-ed.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Gad Saad and Ibn Warraq chat about Islam:

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Did Trump finally manage to perform what FTB, The Orbit, A+ and the usual Twatter suspects failed to do for over 4 years: exhaust the Pyt completely?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:Did Trump finally manage to perform what FTB, The Orbit, A+ and the usual Twatter suspects failed to do for over 4 years: exhaust the Pyt completely?
That fact is that Trump is going to run interference on a lot of weird shit from the Left simply by means of absorbing their attention. Get ready for the campus rape epidemic to disappear into a puff of smoke, and so on. Since the pit isn't exactly geared to handle Trump objections from the Left (most of the time we're going to agree), expect a bit of atrophy and withering.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

(Continued....)

It's almost an exact replay of what happened (in America at least) when W took office. Much odd behavior on the left was distracted by dealing with GWB. In a sense it gave us a ten year reprieve from a lot of zaniness. I predicted a Trump win would have a similar effect.

It's not very good compensation, but I'll take what I can get.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The 'pyt will never die while Phil is here to tweak it's nipples and apply the defibrillators.