Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
CaptainFluffyBunny

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Trump will shortly deliver the evidence involved in the wiretapping allegations, along with proof three million people voted illegally in the election, all for Clinton, Obama's original Kenyan birth certificate and compelling evidence that Trump University was a solid value and Trump steaks were wonderful, just wonderful.
:fpig:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Sem 1 of the next part of my Military History MA has kicked off.

"Genocide"

Lovely topic. I am nervous that a PM SJ layer may be applied. Not sure how or why - but ideological construct words like this give me the jitters.

Looks like Armenia Holocaust Serbia Cambodia and Rawanda are the usual suspect modules.
I believe it was in his Collapse where Jared Diamond observed that in Rwanda, after the initial wave of Hutu-on-Tutsi massacres, most of the deaths were Hutu-on-Hutu. And that the latter victims were primarily: 1) the elderly or infirm unproductive 'mouths to feed'; 2) the more affluent landholders -- both groups often relatives or at least neighbors of the perps. Diamond saw the primary motive economic due to overpopulation, with the anti-tutsi racism just the veneer or spark.

FYI, one reel of the lost RAVISHED ARMENIA (1919) was recently found and is available online.
From a prelim review the issue with Diamond may be that for him every problem looks like a nail. He appears to have a model for social collapse a priori.

Rwanda is complicated by having a side by side civil war raging during and after the killings. As well the loss of (semi) legitimate presidential rule.

Both issues could mitigate against "genocide" given the UN definition requires "intent". The definition also purposely (thanks Russia) leaves out political motivations.

Hmm. Thanks. Maybe I'll do my main paper on this.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Top of page winning streak.

Tiger blood.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Anybody feels like a good cry?

[youtube][/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Anybody feels like a good cry?

[youtube][/youtube]
Paul Kaye is pretty good in this. He's usually - albeit enjoyably - way over the top but this is quite restrained.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

DrokkIt wrote:
Aneris wrote:Also, have you ever noticed how guitar players may use a tuner, but then they instinctively strum a few chords and make minor adjustments?
Same thing happening- adjusting a string a tiny fraction to bring the commonly-used chord shapes to the best approximation of the true notes.
I do it, too. I thought we do this, because playing naturally is ever so slightly different from hitting the string one-by-one for tuning, and the adjustments are made for that reason. You might be onto something, because guitarists often have problems with the G-string, and not just with those of their teenage groupies. The B-string also has the habit of sounding a bit off.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Aneris wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
Aneris wrote:Also, have you ever noticed how guitar players may use a tuner, but then they instinctively strum a few chords and make minor adjustments?
Same thing happening- adjusting a string a tiny fraction to bring the commonly-used chord shapes to the best approximation of the true notes.
I do it, too. I thought we do this, because playing naturally is ever so slightly different from hitting the string one-by-one for tuning, and the adjustments are made for that reason. You might be onto something, because guitarists often have problems with the G-string, and not just with those of their teenage groupies. The B-string also has the habit of sounding a bit off.
I once read a Robert Fripp interview in (relatively high-brow for you non players) Guitarist magazine where he complained about the C barre chord sound crap compared to the C open chord. The interviewer (guitarist staff were very knowledgeable) then explained that this was due to the reasons outlined above.

I think my position is fairly close to fact : even when you have adjusted G open and G barre might not mutually sound 'good', and they would if things were consistent up the neck- but they aren't.

If you have ever recorded in a pro studio you often find that you have to re-tune the axe if using the same one for the solo as you did for the rhythm parts, because the top half of the neck "sounds off" "doesn't ring out" "lacks tone" or any other euphemism for "the pitches created on the high notes are not resonating nicely with the ones from the low notes".

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Aneris wrote: Thanks for that! I can understand the transcription somewhat, though it's more applying some basic knowledge I still remember, and intuition of seeing the "Gestalt" of the tune. I am trying to figure out the math and theory part of music, and have the task of placing intuitions on some solid theory. Here's the advanced channel, at least for me. He could be presenting occultist-quantum-mechanics just as well.
[youtube.][/youtube]
Hi Aneris,

Thanks for that video – it was good! And interesting. I would say that the information presented was excellent and quite spot on, however, it is very heavily jazz oriented and requires a pretty good background in jazz theory to follow what’s going on. The process is very much like taking a simple visual image (Basic 12-bar blues) and gradually abstracting it until it become a post-cubist kind of image (the last couple of re-harmonizations). And those last examples are certainly not some people’s cup of tea, but, it all makes sense to me in a modern jazz sense.

Regarding “Chromatic Mediant” chords (eg. Am – Fm) which I mentioned previously, have you seen the same youTuber’s video on Chromatic Mediants?

Aneris wrote: The other thing I still need to understand better is the difference between A# and Bb, or better, the theoretical framework underneath it and why it matters. I know that they are identical on temperament instruments, like the piano. I also suspect that it also doesn't matter on instruments with frets, which act like keys and divide the scale into discrete units. Unless! You take manual tuning into account, which can be done on guitars, but not pianos. Though the trouble is, I never heard of any guitarist doing such a tuning trick to make a difference and I don't know I could hear a difference even if there was one.

Though even without knowing what scale I play, once I settled into one, I hear when it is "wrong", which I suspect works for most people. That's another fascinating spook: even odd scales like in the "gypsy scale" as played by Django Reinhardt, I suspect everyone somehow intuits what fits, and what doesn't. How do humans do that? Nobody ever sat through a seminar.

As far as I know, guitars, bass, even recorders, and any instrument commonly used are temperament making whatever difference between A#/Bb exist disappear. Though it's somehow important in notation. That means, for laypeople like me, we take temperament tuning for granted, which also means that transposing a tune is a matter of aesthetic choice (and the range of the vocals), but doesn't change the tune- -- exept that this naive notion is apparently wrong. While the steps on the keys remain intact when transposing, the intervals in hertz do not remain the same, making for some difference. This is all seemingly very impotant in orchestras, though I don't quite understand why. Is it just tradition, or do orchestras go through this hassle because there are 5 people worldwide with a perfect ear who would hear (and freak out) when the tuning differs by .16 hz in three notes across the movement? That's still a mystery to me, and in the way of understanding better what's going on.
Well, those are very deep questions that you ask - many doctoral dissertations worth of posts to answer… but I will address a few issues in a cursory manner. There are basically 2 different reasons- acoustic and grammatical.

Note: This is from a “western music tradition” perspective – addressing tuning systems from around the world would require a much longer response.

1. ACOUSTICS

In this day and age A# and Bb are, practically speaking, the same pitch. And, on a fretted or keyboard instrument, they are literally the same pitch. Historically though… well, that’s a whole other issue.

A professional choral group or string quartet (for example) would spend much time on precise tuning. Using A# and Bb as an example, (oddly enough) A# is higher in pitch than a Bb, and this can be quite important to the sound. This is especially true if the music changes key a lot; extra especially if the key relationships are very distant.

Consider a piece played on a keyboard with just intonation (tuned to C major). If the piece is played in C Major it will sound fine and you would probably not notice much difference. If you transposed the piece to G Major or to F Major (1 sharp/flat - 6 of the 7 notes would be the same as C Major) the piece would sound OK. If you transposed it to Ab Major or E Major (4 sharps/flats) it would begin to sound warped or odd or slightly “out of tune”. Each key will thus have its own particular flavour/colour or ‘affect’. (In this way different keys were used to express different moods/affects in the old days.)

Equal temperament smooths out all those “out of tune” notes and gives us a uniform tuning system which has its benefits, but of course loses the colouration of traditional tunings.

2. THEORY/GRAMMAR

The other reason is simply to do with the notational system; in music theory it is just “spelling”. They are enharmonic equivalents – things that sound the same but are spelled differently. Just like homonyms to, too and two.

Many kids make spelling mistakes like “kat” for “cat” (and it is a logical mistake); it is technically wrong and looks odd if you are literate, but it also gets the necessary information across.

Example: An Eb Chord:
KAT = Eb G A#
CAT = Eb G Bb

A scale (from the Italian scala meaning steps) does not repeat note names of the same letter, so in the case of F Major, an A# would be incorrect. Consider an F Major Scale, with an A# there is no note with the letter name 'B'. (Or 'H' for those of you who are Teutonic)

F G A Bb C D E F
F G A A# C D E F

Of course, ours ears can’t tell if a note is spelled correctly or not; it is only a grammatical/theoretical concept and utterly irrelevant to the listener.

blah, blah, blah... :twatson:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

DrokkIt wrote: I once read a Robert Fripp interview in (relatively high-brow for you non players) Guitarist magazine...
Damn, I loved that mag back in the day (I see it's still going - Christ on a bike, it's been going some years, ain't it). Phil Hilborne's guitar solo transcripts - luvved em. I once knew a bloke - and very good player himself - who met Phil Hilborne, and he revealed that he's an exceptionally stinky bloke.

I know. Unbelievable, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/nR4KlnF.jpg

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

DrokkIt wrote:
Aneris wrote:
I once read a Robert Fripp interview in (relatively high-brow for you non players) Guitarist magazine where he complained about the C barre chord sound crap compared to the C open chord. The interviewer (guitarist staff were very knowledgeable) then explained that this was due to the reasons outlined above.

I think my position is fairly close to fact : even when you have adjusted G open and G barre might not mutually sound 'good', and they would if things were consistent up the neck- but they aren't.

If you have ever recorded in a pro studio you often find that you have to re-tune the axe if using the same one for the solo as you did for the rhythm parts, because the top half of the neck "sounds off" "doesn't ring out" "lacks tone" or any other euphemism for "the pitches created on the high notes are not resonating nicely with the ones from the low notes".
Yup... gotta re-tune a guitar from a song in G to one in E. As Aneris says, the G and the B string are always in need of slight adjustment - open tuning or in barre positions.

In the key of E the B string in the perfect fifth; in G the B string is the 3rd of the key and they have very different tuning requirements.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bite Me Bagel Boy

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

The guitarists re-tuning thing is probably because even-tempered tuning is different from just tuning.

If you look at the natural major, minor, etc., scales (or modes) based on a given tonic, the intervals with just temperament aren't actually equal semitones.

With older musics and folk musics that didn't present a problem, since they'd be largely in one key with one scale. But as chromatic music became more and more of a thing (where you're changing keys within one piece of music) if you used the semitone intervals from one key, they'd sound off in one of the other keys you were modulating into within a piece, so the need for an even temperament, in which semitone intervals sounded the same in every key, became apparent. This happened around the Baroque period (hence Bach's "Well-tempered Klavier - well temperament was an earlier alternative to the modern even temperament.)

You can see what I'm talking about here. If you go to the bottom of that page there are a couple of wav file examples where you can hear the difference graphically (so to speak! :) ).

So what guitarists are probably doing is basically re-tuning their strings slightly to the E tonic, but they'd be better off sticking to the tuning given by the tuner, because that will make all chords in every key sound roughly right, whereas if they tune their strings to E, some chords will sound a bit off.

Modern synths can of course tune any way you like, and actually do it on the fly if you want, so nowadays there's the possibility of playing a chromatic piece and shifting the tuning to just tuning for the key you're modulating into. I don't know if anyone's done that yet, but it might be an interesting thing to hear.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

DrokkIt wrote:Also, have you ever noticed how guitar players may use a tuner, but then they instinctively strum a few chords and make minor adjustments? Same thing happening- adjusting a string a tiny fraction to bring the commonly-used chord shapes to the best approximation of the true notes.
  • Aneris wrote: I do it, too. I thought we do this, because playing naturally is ever so slightly different from hitting the string one-by-one for tuning, and the adjustments are made for that reason. You might be onto something, because guitarists often have problems with the G-string, and not just with those of their teenage groupies. The B-string also has the habit of sounding a bit off.

I am just a hobby musician, but know this problem too, and thought this was because I have a cheap 7-String, which is downtuned by one half step, and then has drop-tuning, on top. The price for this tuning is that it is overall not very precise. As you'll guess, this is because the strings are looser and thus more wobbly. It's okay for my purposes, where I use them either for rhythm with alot of fuzz, or noisy as in death metal. When I even use higher notes at all, they're lead melody or shoegazy "melodic noise" where the sketchiness is acceptable for an hour jamming and recording.

What kind of music did you do? Care to show some of yours? (if you can, doxing and crap ofc)

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

The future look complicated.

At least for hobbyist musicians like me.

[youtube][/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

dog puke wrote:Hi Aneris,

Thanks for that video – it was good! And interesting. I would say that the information presented was excellent and quite spot on, however, it is very heavily jazz oriented and requires a pretty good background in jazz theory to follow what’s going on. The process is very much like taking a simple visual image (Basic 12-bar blues) and gradually abstracting it until it become a post-cubist kind of image (the last couple of re-harmonizations). And those last examples are certainly not some people’s cup of tea, but, it all makes sense to me in a modern jazz sense.

Regarding “Chromatic Mediant” chords (eg. Am – Fm) which I mentioned previously, have you seen the same youTuber’s video on Chromatic Mediants?

Aneris wrote: [...]
Well, those are very deep questions that you ask - many doctoral dissertations worth of posts to answer… but I will address a few issues in a cursory manner. There are basically 2 different reasons- acoustic and grammatical.

Note: This is from a “western music tradition” perspective – addressing tuning systems from around the world would require a much longer response.

1. ACOUSTICS

In this day and age A# and Bb are, practically speaking, the same pitch. And, on a fretted or keyboard instrument, they are literally the same pitch. Historically though… well, that’s a whole other issue.

A professional choral group or string quartet (for example) would spend much time on precise tuning. Using A# and Bb as an example, (oddly enough) A# is higher in pitch than a Bb, and this can be quite important to the sound. This is especially true if the music changes key a lot; extra especially if the key relationships are very distant.

Consider a piece played on a keyboard with just intonation (tuned to C major). If the piece is played in C Major it will sound fine and you would probably not notice much difference. If you transposed the piece to G Major or to F Major (1 sharp/flat - 6 of the 7 notes would be the same as C Major) the piece would sound OK. If you transposed it to Ab Major or E Major (4 sharps/flats) it would begin to sound warped or odd or slightly “out of tune”. Each key will thus have its own particular flavour/colour or ‘affect’. (In this way different keys were used to express different moods/affects in the old days.)

Equal temperament smooths out all those “out of tune” notes and gives us a uniform tuning system which has its benefits, but of course loses the colouration of traditional tunings.

2. THEORY/GRAMMAR

The other reason is simply to do with the notational system; in music theory it is just “spelling”. They are enharmonic equivalents – things that sound the same but are spelled differently. Just like homonyms to, too and two.

Many kids make spelling mistakes like “kat” for “cat” (and it is a logical mistake); it is technically wrong and looks odd if you are literate, but it also gets the necessary information across.

Example: An Eb Chord:
KAT = Eb G A#
CAT = Eb G Bb

A scale (from the Italian scala meaning steps) does not repeat note names of the same letter, so in the case of F Major, an A# would be incorrect. Consider an F Major Scale, with an A# there is no note with the letter name 'B'. (Or 'H' for those of you who are Teutonic)

F G A Bb C D E F
F G A A# C D E F

Of course, ours ears can’t tell if a note is spelled correctly or not; it is only a grammatical/theoretical concept and utterly irrelevant to the listener.

blah, blah, blah... :twatson:
Useful explanation for me, specially interesting that tuning again (especially the B and G) for a song on a guitar, just after "correct tuning" is indeed due to those nuances. Thanks for the other feedback of others, too, the pit is awesome.

Could it be, you're doing it professionally? Always curious about new stuff, when you have something to share.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

[youtube][/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Story about Japanese man killed by his porn collection faked up (Daily Mail original source, nuff said)

He fell onto his porn collection, it didnt fall on him.
Yes, the man had a huge porn collection. But there’s absolutely no evidence that he died from it falling on top of him, nor that he’d been dead for six months. In fact, the most gruesome bit of evidence from the original story in Japan points to the fact that he fell on top of his porn collection during his heart attack.

http://gizmodo.com/that-viral-story-abo ... 1792986533

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

So it turns out Brooklyn Jewish Cemetery wasn't vandalized by hate-crimers, just neglected.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

So is anybody on this board not a guitarist?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Aneris wrote:
What kind of music did you do? Care to show some of yours? (if you can, doxing and crap ofc)
Yeah it'd be scene-suicide as my entire crowd has moved firmly into pseudomarxism (which is what brought me here in the first place).

Style-wise I've done a number of things, extreme metal, hardcore, doom and also folk and harsh noise music. I've also produced various non-guitar electronic music... I basically like a great deal of different stuff and also like giving it all a go. High trait openness, apparently.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:So is anybody on this board not a guitarist?
Me, I'm a pianist.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

gurugeorge wrote: The big problem with the Russia/Trump idea is that if there were any evidence of a connection, it would have come out by now.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "connection".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Keyboardist here, but I can play a few chords on a guitar if threatened.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Trump will shortly deliver the evidence involved in the wiretapping allegations, along with proof three million people voted illegally in the election, all for Clinton, Obama's original Kenyan birth certificate and compelling evidence that Trump University was a solid value and Trump steaks were wonderful, just wonderful.
And if you believe that, I have tickets for sale on the 50-yard line for the New Jersey Generals next home opener.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I wonder if it would be possible to get the Donald banned from twitter because of him slandering/harassing Obama.
It would take a bit of the drama out of news coverage so I hope not.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Not me - I can't even fake it.

[youtube][/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/02/sj ... lem/23528/

#gamergate related article on SJW male feminists.

I don't think Jian Ghomesi fits in with the others however. He's an innocent who was caught up in the rape accusation train.
Which he richly deserved in my opinion. Not just because he gave a very one sided interview about #GamerGate as I recall. In which basically he threw all men under the bus. Except for Feminist Ally men like himself who really really really respect and celebrate women.

Which is the song he has been singing while he has been banging up till now successive young women. Been doing it a long time actually. Been doing it for what I suspect has been 20 years till it finally caught up with him.

Before the trial, there were allegations that somehow made their way into the "news". Example Number Of Jian Ghomeshi Accusers Now At 15
The latest tally: there are now 15 individuals alleging sexual abuse, plus two claiming sexual harassment. This includes two men who say Ghomeshi fondled them in public without consent.
Anyway, seems to me what happened was he pissed off a bunch of women who had hit the wall hard. He clearly indicated he was not interested in their ridden hard and put away wet selves, but instead would much rather continue to bang hotter and tighter girls.

So three of them decided to put themselves forward and fuck up his life. At the trial the Judge for some strange reason decided to ignore whatever narratives the three accusers out of the 15 or so who actually went forward and had the police lay charges.

The rest is history. They succeeded in fucking up his life. But they were never, to the best of my knowledge, charged or tried for perjury.

Even if convicted I suspect they would not have been jailed for it either. Seems to me they should all have been looking to serve at least ten years.

*shrug*

B E T W E E N :
HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
— AND —
JIAN GHOMESHI
[44] L.R.'s evidence in-chief seemed rational and balanced. Under crossexamination,
the value of her evidence suffered irreparable damage. Defence
counsel's questioning revealed inconsistencies, and incongruous and deceptive
conduct. L.R. has been exposed as a witness willing to withhold relevant
information from the police, from the Crown and from the Court. It is clear that
she deliberately breached her oath to tell the truth. Her value as a reliable
witness is diminished accordingly
[94] Let me emphasize strongly, it is the suppression of evidence and the
deceptions maintained under oath that drive my concerns with the reliability of
this witness, not necessarily her undetermined motivations for doing so. It is
difficult to have trust in a witness who engages in the selective withholding
relevant information.
[118] I accept Ms. Henein’s characterization of this behaviour. S.D. was
clearly “playing chicken” with the justice system. She was prepared to tell half the
truth for as long as she thought she might get away with it. Clearly, S.D. was
following the proceedings more closely than she cared to admit and she knew
that she was about to run head first into the whole truth.
[119] S.D offered an excuse for hiding this information. She said that this was
her “first kick at the can”, and that she did not know how “to navigate” this sort of
proceeding. “Navigating” this sort of proceeding is really quite simple: tell the
truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Worst, im a bass player. Or i used to.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

A certain bespectacled little feminist might be having to give up her recently acquired loloping puppy dog due to neighbourly complaints. Meeting with landlord tomorrow (wed) to see if tiny apartment is suitable, it also appears there is no tenancy agreement for dogs. Certain bespectacled little feminist has also been furiously scrubbing the carpet.

Watch this space. :whistle:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

gurugeorge wrote:So it turns out Brooklyn Jewish Cemetery wasn't vandalized by hate-crimers, just neglected.
I remember visiting the Jewish cemetery in Prague:

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/gravemat ... ary-66.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote:A certain bespectacled little feminist might be having to give up her recently acquired loloping puppy dog due to neighbourly complaints. Meeting with landlord tomorrow (wed) to see if tiny apartment is suitable, it also appears there is no tenancy agreement for dogs. Certain bespectacled little feminist has also been furiously scrubbing the carpet.

Watch this space. :whistle:
Sounds like it's time to pass the hat round once again - if she has to move.

Maybe PZ can rally the troops and pharyngulate Patreon for her.

I'm sure she feels better getting unconditional love from something - but not thinking things through is not really fair to the dog.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Yup. But it's not something that I fret about.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
gurugeorge wrote: The big problem with the Russia/Trump idea is that if there were any evidence of a connection, it would have come out by now.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "connection".
Is that supposed to be responsive?

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

MarcusAu wrote:
John D wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Looks like they are going to try again. :think:
I lost two hours of my life last time I listened to these two. I will not try again. haha.

To be fair, I was listening while cleaning the basement... so it was not entirely lost time.
It will be a conversation between two people who both purchase ink by the barrel.

I'm not sure who will be able to bloviate better, and cannot work up enough enthusiasm to find out.

Sam seems unlikely to have his mind changed about anything - and I'm not sure if there is much new Professor Peterson can add to the conversation at this point.

Oh well - more power to them, I suppose.
Sam Harris is a philosopher so he will never get his hands dirty looking for evidence to support his assertions. Jordan B Peterson is a theist whom evidence is 'problematic' so on the merry-go-round we go. Round and round as the ride never ends.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Interesting theatrical experiment- gender role reversal of the Trump/Clinton debates. Cathartic shock from Democrats (to the effect of "Yikes, she's not the golden girl I thought she was/wow he was actually quite clever"). Interesting from both the political viewpoint and the MRA viewpoint.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Brive1987 wrote:
EMMA Watson has fired back at critics who suggested she was a “fake feminist” and “hypocrite” after posing in a see-through top for this month’s Vanity Fair magazine.

The 26-year-old actress wore a cleavage-baring bolero in an artistic image by British fashion photographer Tim Walker for the cover story.

“Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with. It’s about freedom, it’s about liberation, it’s about equality. I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it,” she said in a fiery BBC interview.

It’s very confusing. I’m confused. Most people are confused. I’m always just kind of quietly stunned (by such reactions).”

Feminism: "It’s very confusing"
If you are going to have standards they might as well be double.

windy

Post by windy »

Billie from Ockham

DaveDodo007 wrote:Sam Harris is a philosopher so he will never get his hands dirty looking for evidence to support his assertions.
Even worse: he's one of those really weird philosophers with a PhD in cognitive neuroscience and publications using fMRI.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:Sam Harris is a philosopher so he will never get his hands dirty looking for evidence to support his assertions.
Even worse: he's one of those really weird philosophers with a PhD in cognitive neuroscience and publications using fMRI.
lol, yeah, I was about to say. Also, he quotes research polls when arguing with overwrought movie celebrities on chat shows.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
EMMA Watson has fired back at critics who suggested she was a “fake feminist” and “hypocrite” after posing in a see-through top for this month’s Vanity Fair magazine.

The 26-year-old actress wore a cleavage-baring bolero in an artistic image by British fashion photographer Tim Walker for the cover story.

“Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with. It’s about freedom, it’s about liberation, it’s about equality. I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it,” she said in a fiery BBC interview.

It’s very confusing. I’m confused. Most people are confused. I’m always just kind of quietly stunned (by such reactions).”
Feminism: "It’s very confusing"
The problem here is that Watson has confused the collectivist aim of feminism with the protection of women's individual rights. She believes that feminism is about giving women more individual rights, when actually it's about a minority of women telling men and women what to do.

Watson is an actress: being glamorous, attractive and posing for the camera is part of her trade. She really doesn't get why other feminists would find the exposure of her body a problem. After all, she reasons, I'm a strong independent woman choosing to monetize my femininity, so what's wrong with that?

She likely hasn't read or even heard anything about "male gaze", "objectification" or other sex-negative feminist tropes.
Watson is a retarded self obsessed limousine liberal, stop trying to give anything she says value. Stupid cunt says stupid cunt stuff, end of.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:You know, there was time not long ago when I would have said physical appearance has nothing to do with ideology.

I now realize I might have been wrong.
At the risk of taking a joke seriously [Hi, Steers!], I have wasted some time on this issue and come to the conclusion that not only is there a relationship between appearance and politics, but that the direction of causation seems to be moderated by sex, such that unattractive men are more likely to move to the left, while left-leaning women become less attractive over time. ....
Hi, Billie! Nice to see that, apparently, you're willing to consider that, sometimes at least, there's some merit in "taking a joke seriously". Don't think it takes much effort or knowledge of human nature to realize that humour is frequently a window onto the soul of humanity - such as it is - and that frequently there's some merit in not being distracted by surfaces while focusing on the essences - so to speak.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

gurugeorge wrote:
Me, I'm a pianist.
I'm an intersectional feminist. :twatson:

Billie from Ockham

Steersman wrote:Hi, Billie! Nice to see that, apparently, you're willing to consider that, sometimes at least, there's some merit in "taking a joke seriously". Don't think it takes much effort or knowledge of human nature to realize that humour is frequently a window onto the soul of humanity - such as it is - and that frequently there's some merit in not being distracted by surfaces while focusing on the essences - so to speak.
"Many a truth is said in jest" [after adjusting for changes in English over the last 600 years]

- Chaucer

Billie from Ockham

I'd think twice before committing to intersectional feminism, dog puke. More and more drivers are saying "fuck it" and running you people over.

[youtube][/youtube]

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I'd think twice before committing to intersectional feminism, dog puke. More and more drivers are saying "fuck it" and running you people over.

[youtube.][/youtube]
I am the Emily Davison of intersectionality. :twatson:

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Oglebart wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ never fails to amaze me with his ability to track weird sexual shit down on the internet and then use it to prove his broad femiturd agenda.
Sorry, guys, your penis is not a claw machine

I’m used to Redpillers/MGTOWs/MRAs/Incels saying stuff that reveals that they don’t understand how vaginas work, but Futrelle has found something unique: a guy who doesn’t understand how penises work. He has a fantasy of extracting ova during sex somehow and implanting them in other women…all with his penis.
What a fucking oddball.
Jesus fucking christ, does this guy even have a wife and do they have sex through a hole in the sheets?

Billie from Ockham

dog puke wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I'd think twice before committing to intersectional feminism, dog puke. More and more drivers are saying "fuck it" and running you people over.

[youtube.][/youtube]
Ah, so you got your feminism from the horse's mouth, eh?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

dog puke wrote:

[youtube.][/youtube]
Ah, so you got your feminism from the horse's mouth, eh?
Yes, Jenn McCreight was instrumental in my tutelage.

Billie from Ockham

DaveDodo007 wrote:Jesus fucking christ, does this guy even have a wife and do they have sex through a hole in the sheets?
Have you ever tried this new thing called Google? Sam Harris' wife is a fox.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to get the Donald banned from twitter because of him slandering/harassing Obama.
It would take a bit of the drama out of news coverage so I hope not.
Any platform that Trump moved to would automatically gain a dramatic sized following. gab.ai or minds.com would explode. It would seal the fate of twitter.

John D

Post by John D »

DaveDodo007 wrote:Jesus fucking christ, does this guy even have a wife and do they have sex through a hole in the sheets?
A very good looking family I would say.
14.jpg
(38.31 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Trump will shortly deliver the evidence involved in the wiretapping allegations, along with proof three million people voted illegally in the election, all for Clinton, Obama's original Kenyan birth certificate and compelling evidence that Trump University was a solid value and Trump steaks were wonderful, just wonderful.
Glad you have seen the light, ho you were joking well to bad you are not funny though enjoy your free one way helicopter ride. :P

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Sem 1 of the next part of my Military History MA has kicked off.

"Genocide"

Lovely topic. I am nervous that a PM SJ layer may be applied. Not sure how or why - but ideological construct words like this give me the jitters.

Looks like Armenia Holocaust Serbia Cambodia and Rawanda are the usual suspect modules.
I believe it was in his Collapse where Jared Diamond observed that in Rwanda, after the initial wave of Hutu-on-Tutsi massacres, most of the deaths were Hutu-on-Hutu. And that the latter victims were primarily: 1) the elderly or infirm unproductive 'mouths to feed'; 2) the more affluent landholders -- both groups often relatives or at least neighbors of the perps. Diamond saw the primary motive economic due to overpopulation, with the anti-tutsi racism just the veneer or spark.

FYI, one reel of the lost RAVISHED ARMENIA (1919) was recently found and is available online.
From a prelim review the issue with Diamond may be that for him every problem looks like a nail. He appears to have a model for social collapse a priori.

Rwanda is complicated by having a side by side civil war raging during and after the killings. As well the loss of (semi) legitimate presidential rule.

Both issues could mitigate against "genocide" given the UN definition requires "intent". The definition also purposely (thanks Russia) leaves out political motivations.

Hmm. Thanks. Maybe I'll do my main paper on this.
>Jared Diamond.
>knows what he is talking about.

Pick one and only one.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

gurugeorge wrote:So it turns out Brooklyn Jewish Cemetery wasn't vandalized by hate-crimers, just neglected.
(((Goyim}}} reported for hate speech.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

I though we were talking about PZ.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John D wrote:
A very good looking family I would say.
14.jpg

She looks like a Muslim.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

So what, he ever gets a STEM degree or he can fuck off.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

DaveDodo007 wrote: Watson is a retarded self obsessed limousine liberal, stop trying to give anything she says value. Stupid cunt says stupid cunt stuff, end of.
Would somebody please tell me who the hell this Emma Watson is?