Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
dogen

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/EGrNXpa.jpg

Aust Bureau of Statistics: purveyor of fake news?

What's the 101 on the wage gap? Does it exist but "because" or is there no gap or is it that people in shit jobs get the same but more women have shit jobs - "because" (ie a variation on the former).
Forgive me for being dim, but doesn't the graph show that women's earnings as a percentage of men's is at an all-time high? That is, the gap is at its *lowest*?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

What's the 101 on the wage gap? Does it exist but "because" or is there no gap or is it that people in shit jobs get the same but more women have shit jobs - "because" (ie a variation on the former).
No. What that graph shows (even if the numbers are shit - which they are without any context) is that women's wages as a percentage of men's are the highest for 22 years, which means the gap is the narrowest.

Or am I missing summat?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Maths was never my strong point. Maybe they mean "the highest level of lowness"?

That'd make sense.

:think: :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That graphic and it's explanation are so bad it gave me fucking leprosy.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:I wonder if she can explain the difference between an idle trust fund baby and someone whose subsistence and discretionary funds are rewards for getting out of bed.

I'm sure she could if there wasn't an angry Peez harrumphing all over the place every time you ask.

http://imgur.com/01meGXC.jpg
If the new BF pulled up in a shiny Beemer she'd have her surfboard strapped to the roof and racing toward Pacifica beach quicker than you could say feminism is cancer.
Totally not elitist:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... T_wmImBQqQ

Ironic that BMW makes the MiniCooper.

I wonder if Adam's "accident" was passive aggression or a desperate attempt to opt out.

"There was no evidence of braking at the scene of the accident"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The correct response is "shutup pig. There is a fucking gap and your detail-trolling is part of the problem". Here bitch and moan over the whole article. :). http://www.smh.com.au/national/young-wo ... us6bw.html

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Omg omg omg. Someone changed my post. Omg omg omg.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

I don't understand why the wage gap is so controversial. Its obviously caused by all the man checks that we get from our employers for no apparent reason. You guys know the one I'm talking about - its the one that has the penis watermark on it that says "for services not rendered".

Also, using the word "bossy" totally helps, because it confuses women like Emma Watson, and makes them think they shouldn't be bosses. That way we can slide into the executive jobs that society owes them while they are busy being confused.

8-)

Keating

Post by Keating »

So, with Vault 7 release, is there any chance Trump will complete JFK's dream of shutting down the CIA?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

WTF is this? A story on the BBC about big jubblies, and there's not a picture even of any CLOTHED ones, let alone heavy hangers...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39195785

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Ape+lust wrote:I wonder if she can explain the difference between an idle trust fund baby and someone whose subsistence and discretionary funds are rewards for getting out of bed.

I'm sure she could if there wasn't an angry Peez harrumphing all over the place every time you ask.

http://imgur.com/01meGXC.jpg
Must have been an old BMW or she didn't wait around long enough, because those cars have had an auto-shut-off (sleep mode) for more than 15 years.

Alternatively (and more likely): she made up story.

Lastly: does she know what company makes the Mini Cooper? Maybe she should use something other than BMW to be the sign of evil rich people.

Billie from Ockham

On NPR this afternoon, some security expert said that Wikileaks published the code to hack into iPhones, Androids, and Samsung Smart TVs. Then Glenn "only I'm allowed to do that to my boyfriend" Greenwald said that Wikileaks redacted the code so that it could not be used. Can someone who knows enough about hacking tell me who was telling the truth, please?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Feb, 2015:

Australian gender pay gap hits record high

"AMP chief economist Shane Oliver said the construction boom may be to blame for the pay gap blow out.

'Jobs are being created in construction at the moment, that's where the jobs growth is, so that's where the wages growth is, so that could have the effect of increasing the average wage gap,' he said."

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/busi ... SYuQ3.dpuf

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
deLurch wrote: <snip>
Boys can be bossy, but that gets weeded out of them extremely fast.
Reminds me of this little gem. Failing to See, Fueling Hatred.. Not exactly the "banality of evil" but close enough to unearned privilege, entitlement and expectations while pointing out the same in other people.

It still is a decent article but here we get into the fish not completely unaware it swims in water or something. So go ahead and read the whole thing. ....
"Pussy-pass" for the win? Somewhat apropos of which, something courtesy of Cathy Young:

Though I do wish that people would stop using the term "gender" as it is largely if not entirely incoherent twaddle:

If any term needs to be deprecated, it's that one.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:

[img.]http://imgur.com/01meGXC.jpg[/img]
Must have been an old BMW or she didn't wait around long enough, because those cars have had an auto-shut-off (sleep mode) for more than 15 years.

Alternatively (and more likely): she made up story.

Lastly: does she know what company makes the Mini Cooper? Maybe she should use something other than BMW to be the sign of evil rich people.
If that BM didn't exist then it should've. Literal truth subverts mentally lived experience.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Billie from Ockham wrote:On NPR this afternoon, some security expert said that Wikileaks published the code to hack into iPhones, Androids, and Samsung Smart TVs. Then Glenn "only I'm allowed to do that to my boyfriend" Greenwald said that Wikileaks redacted the code so that it could not be used. Can someone who knows enough about hacking tell me who was telling the truth, please?
There is enough detail that relatively unsophisticated people can build attack tools.

Billie from Ockham

So, Greenwald was lying to protect Wikileaks. Quelle surprise. And, thanks, Lsuoma.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:Methods behind the campus madness by Sumantra Maitra:
Maitra wrote:The coup that Western academia experienced from the 1980s onwards has been subtle and did not feature marching jackboots and tanks. But it has been equally dangerous, and has resulted in a specific minority of rabidly ideological academics, who have tried to stifle debate and oppose Enlightenment values including science, and have set the tone of debate from transgender toilets, to books, curiculum and courses, to student sex lives. Postmodernists have tried to hijack biology, have taken over large parts of political science, almost all of anthropology, history and English, and have proliferated self-referential journals, citation circles, non-replicable research, and the curtailing of nuanced debate through activism and marches, instigating a bunch of gullible students to intimidate any opposing ideas.
"rabidly ideological academics", indeed. Case in point:

Seems the "patriarchy!!11!!, the wage gap, and the glass ceiling are little more than received gospel among the true believers of "feminism". Reminds me of "the funniest religious joke of all time!" which certainly seems applicable to the many sects of "feminism". You and ServiceDog in particular may wish to give some thought to it. ;-)
Kirbmarc wrote:
Maitra wrote:So what is to be done? In India, laws were enacted barring campus activism in elite institutions of national importance, and professors who encouraged criminal activity such as vandalism were sacked. However, forces of economics are still the strongest deterrence in society. Western universities need to cut off the scholarships and research funding of postmodernists, and disband departments which promote toxic, divisive, pseudoscientific ideology. Then institutions of higher learning will again be a place for what they were originally meant, the exchange of ideas and verifiable knowledge.
Certainly something needs to be done; the cancer has clearly metastasized and is heading for the heart.

Guest_a45fb5da

Post by Guest_a45fb5da »

Hey guys. Just stopping by. You already know who it is. (Or do you?) Anyway, if you've banned anyone for being me any time recently, I haven't been here in years, so they weren't me. I found out years ago that thinking about SJWs every other day depresses me, so nowadays I couldn't actually regular on this forum even if I was allowed to. I see the forum is still on fire, like it was years ago! I'll be celebrating my 21st birthday soon. How old was I when I first came here and was subsequently banned? 16? Those were the days. :burn:

I noticed A+ forums has fallen. I knew it would. The day forums like that survive for even 5 years will be the day :fpig: , see what I did there? Look at what the DNC and some would say, SJWs, have done now. They've gotten Trump elected. smh.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guest_a45fb5da wrote:Hey guys. Just stopping by. You already know who it is. (Or do you?) Anyway, if you've banned anyone for being me any time recently, I haven't been here in years, so they weren't me. I found out years ago that thinking about SJWs every other day depresses me, so nowadays I couldn't actually regular on this forum even if I was allowed to. I see the forum is still on fire, like it was years ago! I'll be celebrating my 21st birthday soon. How old was I when I first came here and was subsequently banned? 16? Those were the days. :burn:

I noticed A+ forums has fallen. I knew it would. The day forums like that survive for even 5 years will be the day :fpig: , see what I did there? Look at what the DNC and some would say, SJWs, have done now. They've gotten Trump elected. smh.
Eucliwoo? (sp?) Well, well, well. And welcome back if that's the case. ;-)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mayo Clinic wrote:Heart cancer (primary cardiac tumor) is cancer that arises in the heart. Cancerous (malignant) tumors that begin in the heart are most often sarcomas, a type of cancer that originates in the soft tissues of the body. The vast majority of heart tumors are noncancerous (benign).

Heart cancer is extremely rare. For example, one study reviewed more than 12,000 autopsies and found only seven cases of primary cardiac tumor. At Mayo Clinic, on average only one case of heart cancer is seen each year.

Guest_a45fb5da

Post by Guest_a45fb5da »

Eucliwood. Eucliwoo is an insult just for me, but yes. Thanks for recognizing me, Steersy.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guest_a45fb5da wrote:Eucliwood. Eucliwoo is an insult just for me, but yes. Thanks for recognizing me, Steersy.
De nada; blast from the past - "those were the days, my friend; we thought they would never end". :-) But hadn't realized you considered the term an insult - don't recollect you going by any other or that it was other than a self-selected handle.

Guest_a45fb5da

Post by Guest_a45fb5da »

It's not that I consider it an insult, it was meant to be an insult. Eucliwoo, because my beliefs are trash. Woo. Get it?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Keating wrote:So, with Vault 7 release, is there any chance Trump will complete JFK's dream of shutting down the CIA?
Interesting; hadn't realized that was the case. Some apparent corroboration:

Certainly seems to be some justification for it, bit of a loose cannon.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guest_a45fb5da wrote:It's not that I consider it an insult, it was meant to be an insult. Eucliwoo, because my beliefs are trash. Woo. Get it?
Got it. Though there are other constructions on "woo", you know? Maybe you love geometry - Euclid, get it?

Billie from Ockham

Guest_a45fb5da wrote:Hey guys. Just stopping by. You already know who it is.
So far, I've narrowed it down to your being a woman, as they are the people who tell me what I already know (when I don't).

So, tits or get out.

windy

Post by windy »

Old_ones wrote:I don't understand why the wage gap is so controversial. Its obviously caused by all the man checks that we get from our employers for no apparent reason. You guys know the one I'm talking about - its the one that has the penis watermark on it that says "for services not rendered".

Also, using the word "bossy" totally helps, because it confuses women like Emma Watson, and makes them think they shouldn't be bosses. That way we can slide into the executive jobs that society owes them while they are busy being confused.
It has also confused all the strong women scientists studying HIV into chairing very important meetings all the time so they don't have time to publish any papers on HIV. Or something to that effect.
I suggest that journals should collect data at each stage of the peer-review process to help identify the barriers to publication that women face (see also J. Lerback and B. Hanson Nature 541, 455–457; 2017). Author gender needs to be incorporated into data on the numbers of manuscripts sent out for review, resubmitted after revision, and appealed against, successfully or unsuccessfully, by rejected authors.

I conducted a literature survey of my field (HIV) and found that, in 2015–16, less than 10% of papers in Nature (4/17; 24%) and Science (0/24; 0%) together had a woman as the senior corresponding author. Although this sample is small and taken over a short period, the result is surprising, given the large number of women who served as organizer or chair at every major meeting in this field during that time and who represented roughly half of all US National Institutes of Health HIV study-section chairs. There is evidently a significant pool of strong women scientists in the field.
The study she mentions actually found that there's a bias in favor of papers authored by women. Naturally, this is evidence that oppression against women is inherent in the system. :twatson:
The acceptance rate for female first-authored papers was higher than for male ones (61% compared with 57%). Negligible differences have been found by other studies in biology and medicine7. In our data, female first authors had higher acceptance rates across all age groups, and the differences were significant at P < 0.05 for all age cohorts under 60. This difference in acceptance rates pertained (although not always with significance) across papers with any size of author group, including single-author papers. Acceptance rates were similar regardless of the gender of the editor or reviewers.

One might interpret the difference in acceptance rates in two ways. It could imply that female AGU authors are enjoying ‘reverse sex discrimination’, as suggested by recent studies (see, for example, ref. 8). Or — and this is the possibility we favour — the higher acceptance rates reflect the authors’ more considered approach when submitting manuscripts, including better targeting of papers to a journal. Several studies have shown that groups who are expecting obstacles put greater effort into preparation or take fewer risks9. And our data show that women submitted fewer papers than men. A double-blinded reviewing process could shed more light on these factors.

Guest_a45fb5da

Post by Guest_a45fb5da »

If I posted my boobs I think I would just be banned faster.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

It's been so many years since equal pay for both sexes (how very quaint of me to suggest there might only be two!) for the same jobs has been mandated in the western world that it's very hard to believe in the wage gap. An earnings gap is completely believable, as it's plain that women work differently. The majority of medical students have been female for decades, and they are choosing very different work schedules. Lots of part-time, job-sharing, and simple refusal to be on-call all the time. This might be wise, and might go some way to explaining why they live longer than men, but it sure doesn't help physician shortages. It's particularly difficult when there are, say, two doctors in a rural community, each works every day, and every other night and weekend. No vacations are possible (I did once try being the only doc in town for two weeks and nearly went psychotic from sleep deprivation). So you eventually get an answer to your pleading advertisements and find a female candidate who intends to get pregnant as soon as she has a permanent position. And you can't discriminate and say no to her. Fortunately she took a look at our working conditions and ran away.

Another thing that has puzzled me is that there are two specialties that attract a disproportionate amount of female grads, pediatrics and psychiatry. They are also the lowest paid specialties. My wife says that's because they aren't valued because they tend to be nearly all women. I don't quite like to tell her that if pediatricians and psychiatrists worked like other doctors they would quickly find themselves earning as much as other specialists. With vacations and conferences she works about half-time by the end of the year. From 2000 to 2015 when I quit, I took off one week. Not per year. Just one week. Women and men work very differently, even in the same jobs.

Guest_a45fb5da

Post by Guest_a45fb5da »

Ipersonally think any wage gap is something to be tackled per individual company if it has one, rather than across the nation, because it would be a company issue, that varies from company to company, because if a company has a wage gap, it's the particular whoeversetsthesalary's fault, and doesn't exist across the nation.I know that sentence was trash.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Billie from Ockham wrote:So, Greenwald was lying to protect Wikileaks. Quelle surprise. And, thanks, Lsuoma.
To be fair, it sounds like the CIA lost control of its hacking suite some time ago when several former employees took it home. All the worst people would have already had it.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

What are the odds? Lsuoma just gave me a chance to do a "speaking of...." segue.

Speaking of cancer...

I've always been cautious about revealing much about myself online. It's a practice that's served me well for decades.

However, after a 2-month maelstrom of suck, I'm in a situation too perversely poetic to not share. I'm also feeling more ornery than cautious.

So...

Guess who will soon lose an eye to cancer?

Yep. The Pit's GIMP aficionado will officially be a gimp :D

Upside: wearing a pirate patch will no longer be an affectation. Fluevogs ahoy!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote:What are the odds? Lsuoma just gave me a chance to do a "speaking of...." segue.

Speaking of cancer...

I've always been cautious about revealing much about myself online. It's a practice that's served me well for decades.

However, after a 2-month maelstrom of suck, I'm in a situation too perversely poetic to not share. I'm also feeling more ornery than cautious.

So...

Whoa. Sorry to hear about this, dude.

I think a Kickstarter to insure your other eye might be in order.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

free thoughtpolice wrote:gurugeorge wrote:
Again, the thing I'm finding quite ironic about this, is that the evidence that Mark Levin pieced together is partly taken from the mainstream media's very own crowing about "inside sources" from the spy world over the past few months.

And yet none of the evidence has amounted to anything solid ...

And now, suddenly, apparently there wasn't any spying going on after all, oh no ... :lol:
Mark Levin and Trump claimed that Trump Tower had been wiretapped.
Which is true if there was a FISA court request in October as claimed, because that was supposedly the content of it. This is what we don't know for sure, it's just been reported by some media outlets, Right (Heatstreet) and Left (Guardian, BBC), based on "sources".
Media reports showed information taken from the monitoring of the Russian ambassador's phone, not from wiretaps on Trump or his supporters.
Yes, but that's a separate issue.
The evidence showed that, among other things Flynn and Sessions both lied about having contacts.
"Having contacts" is tendentious and unwarrantedly spy-flavoured wording, and Sessions, at least, didn't lie. He did not meet the ambassador as a surrogate in relation to the Trump campaign, which was what Franken asked about in the hearing, but in the ordinary course of his official capacity, which was irrelevant to Franken's question. (Hopefully if there's an investigation, this can be corroborated or not by his aides, who were present at the sit-down meeting - the other, earlier "meeting" was just incidental glad-handing.)

I must admit I'm surprised that you and Mark appear to be falling for the Russia nonsense.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Ape+lust wrote:What are the odds? Lsuoma just gave me a chance to do a "speaking of...." segue.

Speaking of cancer...

So...

Bloody hell, Ape. That sucks the big kumara.

We've been relying on you for a balance, and now all we'll get is a one-eyed perspective.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Tigzy wrote:snip

Whoa. Sorry to hear about this, dude.

Or a kickstarter for one of these for Ape.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ca2263.jpg

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Keating wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:So, Greenwald was lying to protect Wikileaks. Quelle surprise. And, thanks, Lsuoma.
To be fair, it sounds like the CIA lost control of its hacking suite some time ago when several former employees took it home. All the worst people would have already had it.
I don't even think Greenwald was 'lying' to protect Wikileaks - though I wouldn't put him past that when it comes to Islam.
Greenwald is NOT a programmer. I don't know if he's ever written so much as a line of CSS or HTML in his life, even using a webpage (so simple a DOG could do it) creation tool.

His understanding is probably that if you didn't include the lines of source code, you haven't given away the secret of how the program works.
I bet most people think something like that, if they even understand that much.

Apparently (and I am trusting you guys as I have not looked at the Wikileaks dump at all) some indication of the programming methods used was given (sort of like Use algorithm X, do such and such to memory locations, load into this firmware area, blah blah)such that the experienced programmers and Sysops here like The Fascist Tit figured they could reverse engineer it with a program in their language of choice.

So to Greenwald who is a bit naive when it comes to programming Wikileaks didn't post anything dangerous, to Lsouma, the Source Code isn't important because they published enough of the recipe to still make the soup.

Am I right about that, Fascist Tit?

Billie from Ockham

If you listen to the interview, Greenwald insisted that the code was redacted to such an extent as to render it useless. He didn't hedge with any "I'm not a programmer, but...." He made clear assertions and attacked everyone who has said that Wikileaks released information that could be used by "bad actors" to do bad things.

Maybe I should have said "full of shit, as usual," instead of "lying." It really doesn't matter.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Service Dog wrote: <snip>
I dont get out much, when Im not working. So it's novel to me to have co-workers who prattle against Trump all day. Their zingers dont seem to make sense. One woman said, "Did he NOT kill anyone today?!", as if he's killing people on a daily basis. They make weird predictions about impeachment & assassination... utterly unfazed by how all their Trump predictions turned-out, over the last year-plus. "Their plan is for Pence to take-over. That's why he acts presidential. " I say weird shit back... I would rather be the funny weirdo than the Trump Guy. Today I agreed that Pence would be worse: "After all those good-looking gay guys get electrocuted into being straight, it's going to be much harder for regular guys to get women."

A couple days ago, my boss said he didnt care if Milo isnt a pedophile, or Sessions isnt in cahoots with the Russians.... they're bad, so if they go-down for false reasons, Great!

Tonight my neighbor said something similar: if Obama & the FBI spied on Trump to keep him from winning the election-- "Considering how things have turned out, it just shows that would-have been the right thing to do." I said a lot of racist cops who frame or murder blacks-- are killing ones who were actually quite terrible people, too. Neighbor got really mad at the comparison.

He also said that there would be nothing wrong with Obama using FBI wiretap to spy on Trump to win the election, as long as a judge approved the warrant... even if the judge was a Democrat who approved the warrant to help Obama throw the election. "As long as it's not technically illegal, it's not wrong." I didnt think to ask if that applies to the Muslim Ban & everything-else Trump has done in office.

Fucking normies scare the shit out of me.
That's partisan politics to you. Very few people care about truth or principles when it comes to politics. This isn't a result of the "post-truth world OMG", it's always been like that. When strong emotions get into play people follow narrative, not logic. They support their goals and don't care about the tactics. It happens in all parties, churches, movements or simply groups of like-minded people.

There are two dominant narratives about Trump: for Trump haters he's Hitler&Satan combined into an orange skinned mix, for Trump fans he can do no wrong. Reality, of course, is much more complex.

I don't like Trump. There's evidence to be concerned about nepotism and cronyism in his administration and between his administration and other countries (even though there's not enough evidence to be sure that this cronyism, nepotism and connections are illegal). There people he has nominated has a bad track record at dealing with environmental issues (pollution or climate change). And gutting the ACA is dumb.

I don't think that his blanket ban was a good idea, it doesn't address the real issues of Saudi/Salafi infiltration of muslim communities in the west and it was poorly implemented. Whether it's compatible with the US constitution is for the SCOTUS to judge.

And yet there's a lot of derangement and stupidity among the critics of Trump. He's not Hitler, he's not a Nazi, he's not as crazy and stupid as many think. He's uncouth, crass, childish, narcissistic but not the monster of evil and idiocy that most critics try to paint him as. And subverting the rules of liberal democracy to get back at him is much worse than anything he's done or said. Anyone who thinks that a coup, assassination, riots, or violating the law is justified because Trump is Evil is a moron who shouldn't hold an elected office.

He's bad, but not as bad as many deranged people think. Truth to be told he's not worse than Dubya so far. He's gutting the ACA but any other Republican president would have done the same. He's cutting off US government money to international agencies which support abortion but that's what all Republican presidents have done and would do. He's a climate change denier and close to anti-vaxxer, just like pretty much every Republican president or candidate. He has cronies and special interests: all presidents, Republicans or Democrats, do. Trump simply seem to have more sympathies for Russia than for Saudi Arabia.

If he's done anything illegal and it can be proven then he'll face the consequences of his actions, but simply being more Russia-friendly than Saudi-friendly isn't such a big deal. Russia is a corrupt oligarchy where any opposition is violently crushed by the authoritarian oligarchs with ties to Putin and his staff, but the US have worked and supported regimes far worse than Russia (including Saudi Arabia).

It seems to me that there's an attempt from many Republican neo-cons to prevent Trump from normalizing US relations with Russia. Whether this is a good thing depends on which flavor of cronyism seems less threatening to you. Personally, from the disastrous results of US policies in recent years I think that some kind of compromise with Russia to focus more on crushing islamic terrorism isn't such a bad idea.

And hey, so far Trump hasn't waged any new foreign wars, and even seems willing to let the US disentangle from some messes in the Middle east (unlike Dubya). Hell, he killed the TPP, which is something that no other Republican or Democrat president seemed to be willing to do.

Overall he's not worse than most Republican presidents or presidential candidates the US have had in recent years.

Many in the left are willing to support anything or anyone who's anti-Trump: a former Mexican president with lousy track records on human rights, islamists like Linda Sarsour who praise Saudi Arabia and say that Sharia is A-OK, black women who kidnapped a killed a white man, Palestinian terrorists who killed dozens of Israelis, etc. The Women's March and Science March are SJW-led buffoonish jokes. People in the left blame Trump for every stupid, hateful or even suspicious thing that happens in the US, he's become a boogeyman.

For far too many people partisan politics and elections are a game of Good Guys vs. Bad Guys, of Justice vs. Injustice. In reality elections are simply a choice between different ideas within the same framework of liberal democracy, where checks and balances don't disappear just because a candidate says so.

If Trump violates the law or subverts the liberal democratic process by all means remove him from office. If, however, all he does are things which are within the bounds of his office then you can criticize, mock, satirize but you can't violate laws or subvert liberal democracy just because he's doing things you disapprove of.

The Democrats should focus on rebuilding their party, reconnecting with the people who deserted them, understand the impact of their choices and policies, and redraft a new set of proposals to become popular again and win back the presidency in 2020. They should understand that SJW tactics alienated many people from their policies. They should criticize Trump, but a) for the things he actually does, not for what they think he's doing and b) by pointing out WHY what he's doing is harmful and wrong, not simply by shouting thought-terminating cliches like "racist!" or "Islamophobic!" or "sexist!".

The anti-Trump Republicans should focus on rebuilding THEIR party, which was pretty shaken by the Trump phenomenon just like the Democratic party, understand what's really going on, why neocon tactics led to disasters and alienated many people from their traditional policies and led them to support a populist like Trump.

Instead it's all about Trump. There's nothing but Trump. There are no new ideas, no new strategies, no acknowledgment of mistakes, no self-reflection. No, it's all a game of which new thing should we say about Trump. And Trump knows it. He revels in the attention: he's a troll, he likes to trigger people, and people of all kinds feed the troll constantly.

Not a bad post but your last paragraph was just idiotic. Anyone with intelligence knows Trump has his flaws but the left and the liberals are just insane at this point in time. He was the only person to stand up to them and able to cut this insanity off, name me another individual who could have done this? That is why he has complete loyalty and is our best weapon against the sheer stupidity of the lefty/liberal nutjobs.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Speaking of cancer...

So...

Sorry to hear that Ape. :(

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

It's not a wage gap, it's an earnings gap, and women earn less than men for various reasons having to do mainly with aptitudes and preferences. They also spend more than men (the difference is made up by the money men give to women, mainly husbands to spouses).

When you compare broadly, and control for the aptitude and preference factors, there's what might actually be a slight gender wage gap (IIRC around 8% or something, can't remember the exact figure), which could be due to residual systemic inequity in some nooks and crannies. However, when you compare apples to apples (never-married women to never-married men) never-married women actually earn slightly more on the dollar than never-married men (this has been known for decades, Thomas Sowell discusses it in a clip of a early 70s tv show with William F. Buckley on Youtube).

The whole foofaraw about the earnings gap is based on the assumption (which permeates the Left broadly and Feminism specifically): that inequality of outcome necessarily betokens systemic inequity of treatment.

Well, it might do, but that has to be demonstrated separately, because a given inequality of outcome may also be the result of other factors, such as aptitudes or preferences - as is the case with the gender earnings gap. But differing gender aptitudes and preferences based partly on biology is the one thing Feminism can't allow (because of the commitment to social constructionism).

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Ape! Sorry to hear your news. I hope someone will, err, keep an eye on you.

free thoughtpolice

gurugeorge wrote:
He did not meet the ambassador as a surrogate in relation to the Trump campaign, which was what Franken asked about in the hearing, but in the ordinary course of his official capacity, which was irrelevant to Franken's question.
He wasn't asked whether he met as a surrogate, but while he was a surrogate. Further, during one of the meetings, which was at a Heritage Foundation event, Sessions travel expenses were paid by the Trump campaign. Also, you are taking him at his word about what was discussed when he has been vague and not remembery about what they talked about. If it was senate business why would the Trump campaign pay for it?
Sessions has been known as speaking carefully and during his committee work as someone that is a stickler for having people answer his questions carefully and completely. Apparently you don't think he should be held to his own standards?
Kirbmarc is a big Putin fan compared to me. He is a dangerous snake, just look at what he has done to his own country as well as others.
As for buying into the Russia thing, are you one of the few that believe the Russians didn't hack the DNC?

free thoughtpolice

Ape: Awful news. Hang in there, hopefully things will work out as well as possible.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:Whoa. Sorry to hear about this, dude.

Please, no. Thank you, but I won't accept it.

I'm a bit blue, but I'm also very relieved. This was discovered by an exam for a problem I thought was too trivial to bother with. Right now the cancer hasn't metastisized beyond the eye. If I'd passed on the exam, as I almost did, I'd be in serious trouble when my vision degraded too much to ignore. I'm really very lucky :D

free thoughtpolice

Billie from Ockham wrote:If you listen to the interview, Greenwald insisted that the code was redacted to such an extent as to render it useless. He didn't hedge with any "I'm not a programmer, but...." He made clear assertions and attacked everyone who has said that Wikileaks released information that could be used by "bad actors" to do bad things.

Maybe I should have said "full of shit, as usual," instead of "lying." It really doesn't matter.
Greenwald is a slippery weasel. He lies by omission constantly and tells outright whoppers too.

DaveDodo007

Re: RE: Emma Watson

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Aneris wrote:Emma Watson is introduced as having visited Bangladesh, Zambia, and Uruguay. Her committment is cited as reason why she was asked to be "Goodwill Ambassador 2014", and I don't see what's wrong with it, exactly.

For one, let's look at what the Unicef writes on gender.
Unicef, [url=https://www.unicef.org/publicpartnerships/files/2015ARR_Gender.pdf]PDF[/url], Executive Summary wrote:While there has been progress in advancing gender equality in the past 15 years, such as increases in school enrolment, and reductions in maternal mortality and mother-to-child transmission of HIV, important challenges remain. More than 25 per cent of girls are still married before they turn 18, and 20 per cent become mothers before that age. Poor girls in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia are not likely to reach or complete secondary schooling, and girls are 2.5 times more likely to be out of school than boys in conflict situations. Gender-based violence is endemic in family and intimate partner relationships, as well as in emergency and humanitarian settings
  • Bangladesh is 86.6% Islam, and forced marriage is a big problem there, with nearly 30% married before reaching puperty. Human Rights Watch makes it ~30% girls, either way, it's under Islam and if you search, it's huge problem that affects girls. Here's even one from a "Muslim Times" blog. Perhaps Emma Watson needs to also propose sketchy ideas about "nuking Mecca" or "peeing on the Quran" to be accepted by some folks here?
  • Zambia is one of the aforementioned sub-Saharan countries, however women can take a day off when they want, meant to when they have their menses, though the country has plenty of holidays, according to the BBC. This news item fills the search results when you google women and Zambia. But when you look for the reason of Watson's visit, again child marriage of girls comes up. 8.5% children are married before they are 15 years old, and 41.6% before they are 18. Generally, you can see gender inequality in the stats. Again.
  • Uruguay was her first visit as a UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador, to bolster a newly introduced quota giving women a 30% participation in politics. According to "Japan Times", "just 14 percent of Uruguay’s legislators are women." Quotas are useful, for we know from elites research that social circles perpetuate themselves (e.g. people recognize other people socialized the same way, and prefer them. Meritocracy is mythology for adults -- also why elites have their own fashionable sports, way to dress etc. which distinguishes their circle, and that's gendered, too, and not just a matter of class).

Again, the denial of gender inequality on a global scale is ludicrous, comparable to climate change or evolution denial. And while I don't agree with everything she says in the speech, she also disarms the "privilege" part you hold against her, right there in 5:28. It's also perfectly fine to say what you mean by a word like "feminism", and then stick to that, which she appears to be doing. She acknowledges that the term is controversial, but that the ideas (she then explains) matter. She also says that she wants that men "feel invited" to participate in the conversation.

Intersectionalists don't want this, but that's hardly Emma Watson's concern, unless guilty-by-association via the word "feminism" is now acceptable. By 7:30 she says that she feels father's roles aren't valued enough. I thought this is also something MRA people wanted. Then she talks about mental illness of men,then about suicide of men... wait a minute... perhaps in addition to proposing "peeing on Quran", she first needs to join the "honey badger" club to be accepted? But I guess it's in the way for MRA to claim feminists never say anything about such issues. She returns to child-marriage of girls and education of girls in Africa (around min 11), consistent with the topics of her visits in the countries mentioned above. Her core message in that speech is about freedom, emancipation and education, that is Enlightenment by the book.
Lol, feminists support men's rights, do fuck off. She hangs out with man hating Gloria 'cultural Marxist' Steinem FFS. What the fuck is it with you krauts that you always want to destroy Western civilization.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirbmarc is a big Putin fan compared to me. He is a dangerous snake, just look at what he has done to his own country as well as others.
Putin IS a dangerous snake but the world is full of dangerous snakes.

King Faisal is also a dangerous snake, maybe even more dangerous than Putin because at least we in the west openly acknowledge that Putin is a snake and don't trust him, while we're shaking hands with and praising with a man who's knee-deep in involvements with jihadism.

The Democracy Index ranks Saudi Arabia at the bottom of the pile of tyranny, lower than Iran, just after the "Democratic Republic" of Congo and just ahead of Tajikistan. But they're an "ally" and "moderate" (more or less like Dick Carrier is a faithful husband and a man of strong moral principles) so they're OK in the US' books.

Egypt is also ran by snakes, but again, "ally", so they're fine. Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain, all ran by snakes, all best buddies with the US (with only occasionally mumbling about "not being able to control who finances terrorists") and all secretly hating the "decadent west" and financing groups which cause trouble for the "decadent west" (not just through terrorism). Pakistan is also rapidly turning into yet another theocracy too, as well as Turkey. Both allies of the US. Don't tell me the leadership of Pakistan or Recep Erdogan aren't dangerous snakes

At least Putin isn't pretending to be our friend while secretly financing people who wish to strike against us or brainwashed the muslim communities against us and promote theocracy and all the amenities of traditional islam. Putin doesn't really give a shit about what we do in our countries, which religion we have, how we want to dress or which rights we want to protect as long as he has his shady oil deals, his corrupted businesses, Crimea, the Donbass, and less US bases in countries next to Russia. Should we give him all of those things? No, although he already has Crimea and good luck taking it back. Is he more of a threat than islamic terrorism and islamic supremacy movements and the countries which are buddy-buddies with them? Also no.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of cancer...

So...

Holy shit! Peer not into the FtByss, lest it give you EYE CANCER!

Here ya go. You earned it in the line of duty...

http://i.imgur.com/aNarU77.jpg

Arse Gratia Artis!

free thoughtpolice

#Putin's lies matter
#Allliesmatter :naughty:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Who's more dangerous: a known enemy or the guy who pretends to be your best buddy by paying for your drinks while secretly putting poison in your glass?

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Lsuoma wrote:That graphic and it's explanation are so bad it gave me fucking leprosy.
And fucking leprosy is the worst kind of leprosy.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Whoa. Sorry to hear about this, dude.

Please, no. Thank you, but I won't accept it.

I'm a bit blue, but I'm also very relieved. This was discovered by an exam for a problem I thought was too trivial to bother with. Right now the cancer hasn't metastisized beyond the eye. If I'd passed on the exam, as I almost did, I'd be in serious trouble when my vision degraded too much to ignore. I'm really very lucky :D
Fucking hell, that sucks.

You did remind me that I'm a few years behind on an eye exam. I have a higher risk for that shit, too.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Billie from Ockham wrote:On NPR this afternoon, some security expert said that Wikileaks published the code to hack into iPhones, Androids, and Samsung Smart TVs. Then Glenn "only I'm allowed to do that to my boyfriend" Greenwald said that Wikileaks redacted the code so that it could not be used. Can someone who knows enough about hacking tell me who was telling the truth, please?
According to Bruce Schneier, a lot of the actual code has been redacted for now:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... relea.html

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

Kirbmarc wrote:Who's more dangerous: a known enemy or the guy who pretends to be your best buddy by paying for your drinks while secretly putting poison in your glass?
[youtube][/youtube]

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Remember the U.N also hosted Anita Sarkeesian and Zoë Quinn.

And put Saudi Arabia at the head of the Human Rights Council.

Go fucking figure.
The UN like the EU needs to fucking die already.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:#Putin's lies matter
#Allliesmatter :naughty:
Liars are a dime a dozen. All politicians lie. Did Putin finance terrorist groups which attacked the US or the EU? Did he finance preachers who infiltrate Orthodox communities in the west to whip up conservative Orthodox believers into a frenzy about rebuilding the west according to conservative Orthodoxy?

Not as far as I know. What he does is a) lie through his propaganda machine (just like all state actors do, although in a more widespread and arguably more laughable way) and b) (maybe, it's not even completely certain it was him) release TRUE emails which shown Hillary Clinton's dirty tricks with the DNC.

So while he's a clear and present threat for any dissenter in Russia and for the Ukraine, and a potential threat to many other countries which were part of the Good Old Commie Bloc, he's not as big as a threat to us than Salafis and the countries which support them.

But all of this doesn't matter, 'mright? We should totally take down his friend and partner in crime Assad in order to reduce Iran's influence in the Middle East because they're the one and only bad guys, while we're the World Policeman, and the human right abusers on our side are the good kind of human right abusers, you see, even if they nurture the idea that lead some guys to blow themselves up or to run down people with a truck in our cities, and openly finance people who spread nice, lovely messages like "Democracy go to hell" or "Sharia will take over the world".

No, no, no. Putin is the only problem we have, if we removed him and all of his allies from the equation it'd all be peachy. So let's work with freaking Al-Qaeda and other Salafi groups to take down Assad, maybe bomb Iran next, it's all for peace and democracy! USA! USA! USA!

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:Who's more dangerous: a known enemy or the guy who pretends to be your best buddy by paying for your drinks while secretly putting poison in your glass?
Putin never popisoned anyone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Putin never poisoned anyone? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I never said that the known enemy isn't a cunt. He's not pretending to be our friend though.