Old subthreads
free thoughtpolice

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

InfraRedBucket wrote:Looks like Godfrey Elfwick's had a shave and is trolling the masses in plain site (from about 30 secs in the clip) on the BBC

[youtube][/youtube]
Plain sight even. I meant.

feathers

Post by feathers »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:But god forbid I ever have to watch that piece of shit There Will Be Blood ever again.
You and me buddy. Beautifully shot, good performances, well directed but im never watching this incredibly boring shit again.
You two must be of the ADHD generation, because I watched all two-and-a-half hours and damn near forgot to open another beer.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

feathers wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:But god forbid I ever have to watch that piece of shit There Will Be Blood ever again.
You and me buddy. Beautifully shot, good performances, well directed but im never watching this incredibly boring shit again.
You two must be of the ADHD generation, because I watched all two-and-a-half hours and damn near forgot to open another beer.
That was my experiences with movies such as The Godfather 1 & 2, The lives of others and City of God. So id say no.

More seriously, i don't remember ADHD being a thing when i was a kid, don't recall any of my friends or schoolmate taking pills for it, im 40 btw. Did the ADHA phenomenon (not the actual clinical definition, im sure it existed already) only started in the 90's?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

feathers wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
Brain injuries are such a sad subject. Let's keep focused on movies...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote:Looks like Godfrey Elfwick's had a shave and is trolling the masses in plain site (from about 30 secs in the clip) on the BBC

[youtube][/youtube]
Good to see that Dimbleby didn't misgender xir.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

The guy they caught jumping the fence and trying to get into the white house was a pizzagate believer that wanted to brief the president on it.
[youtube][/youtube]
And he still has videos up on his youtube channel:
[youtube][/youtube]

some guy

Post by some guy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: I'll give a shout out to three Kevin Costner westerns .. Wyatt Earp .. Dances with Wolves and at a stretch The Postman The latter is a bit schmaltzy at the end but still an entertaining movie IMO.
Oh fuck, why did I let out Dances With Wolves? ...
Dances with Wolves was vastly inferior to the movie that it ripped-off: Little Big Man.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Brain injuries are such a sad subject. Let's keep focused on movies...
Real brain injuries certainly are, but ADHD is one of those diagnoses which became fashionable in the 90s so parents could give their kids a prescription rather than let them give up one of their two sports clubs and their Saturday job at Walmart, or forbidding them to take their gsm to bed so they can text their mates at night, all the while expecting them to do their homework.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:snip

More seriously, i don't remember ADHD being a thing when i was a kid, don't recall any of my friends or schoolmate taking pills for it, im 40 btw. Did the ADHA phenomenon (not the actual clinical definition, im sure it existed already) only started in the 90's?
Oh, it existed. I've always had the attention span of a gnat, and had such diagnosis existed back then (I'm 50) I'm sure I would have been diagnosed and possibly medicated. Glad I wasn't, really. A lot of things that used to be quirks are now cause for doctors and drugs, and what used to be fun and hijinks are now misdemeanors and felonies.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Brain injuries are such a sad subject. Let's keep focused on movies...
Real brain injuries certainly are, but ADHD is one of those diagnoses which became fashionable in the 90s so parents could give their kids a prescription rather than let them give up one of their two sports clubs and their Saturday job at Walmart, or forbidding them to take their gsm to bed so they can text their mates at night, all the while expecting them to do their homework.
I wasn't talking about ADHD, I was talking about almost forgetting to open another beer. It's the part in italic in your comment I quoted.

I hate to have to explain jokes.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:The guy they caught jumping the fence and trying to get into the white house was a pizzagate believer that wanted to brief the president on it.
[youtube][/youtube]
And he still has videos up on his youtube channel:
[youtube][/youtube]
I love how people jumped on the highly improbable pizzagate and dialed it up to 11, but the very real possibility (investigated by several intelligence agencies) that the current administration colluded with a hostile foreign power to win the election merits a "meh, fake news."

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I wasn't talking about ADHD, I was talking about almost forgetting to open another beer. It's the part in italic in your comment I quoted.

I hate to have to explain jokes.
Merde, I skip-read the quote and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Note, almost forgot!

some guy

Post by some guy »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Little Big Man

[youtube][/youtube]
:nin:, sort of

Basement

Post by Basement »

[youtube]SL5ZGzn53eQ[/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Basement wrote:[youtube]SL5ZGzn53eQ[/youtube]
Tough titty, gringo.

[youtube][/youtube]

Basement

Post by Basement »

feathers wrote:
Basement wrote:[youtube]SL5ZGzn53eQ[/youtube]
Tough titty, gringo.

[youtube][/youtube]
Thank you :oops:

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: But god forbid I ever have to watch that piece of shit There Will Be Blood ever again.

[youtube][/youtube]

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

If we're still doing westerns it just occurred to me that I can't believe no one has mentioned this absolute classic.

[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

[youtube][/youtube]

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Did we forgot this classic? Did someone mentionned it?

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Anjuli has been naughty. Even newly reformed bigot SteveOr is giving her a hard time.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/anjuli/2017 ... en-racist/
Anjuli Pandavar, I think you are better than this, know better than this. Sorry. I don’t mean to pile on – although mea culpa I kinda am doing so I know – and I don’t think you are a bad person but, well, I do ask that you reconsider this please.
Further they are giving her shit for quoting Katie Hopkins, while over time bloggers like Marcus Ranum, Great American Satan, and Mano Singham have repeatedly and uncritically quoted stories from Russia Today, Putin's fave propaganda outlet. Lately they haven't quoted it though possibly because of the support RT has given to Trump.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

While were at it.

This was the shit when i was a teen:

[youtube][/youtube]

This too.

[youtube][/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I mentioned Maverick. And now I want to watch it again.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Well not necessarily the song but the 2 movies. Although Jon Bon Jovi did a good job, ive watched the music video more times than i should admit. Same for You Could Be Mine by G&R for Terminator 2.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

The Young Guns movies were both more than acceptable. The cast and soundtrack were brilliant. Scripts were ok too.

At this rate I'm gonna have to make my list at least a 20-items one.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I like that Western where John Wayne tells Jesus to get off of his cross and drink his milk.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 7cd6a5.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I met an attorney at an art event. She's running a background check on me today, to help me fix my no-valid-IDs problem. Just learned I'm wanted in Colorado for illegal​ swimming, since 1991.

It never occurred! Must be an error in the citation. However I -was- hiking with a friend at Red Rocks mountain park. Old PZ Myers-lookin' dude was standing in the trail ahead, masturbating. So we went perpendicular off the trail, down a rock slope. Cop saw us & gave a ticket for illegal climbing. Or, apparently, swimming.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I met an attorney at an art event. She's running a background check on me today, to help me fix my no-valid-IDs problem. Just learned I'm wanted in Colorado for illegal​ swimming, since 1991.

It never occurred! Must be an error in the citation. However I -was- hiking with a friend at Red Rocks mountain park. Old PZ Myers-lookin' dude was standing in the trail ahead, masturbating. So we went perpendicular off the trail, down a rock slope. Cop saw us & gave a ticket for illegal climbing. Or, apparently, swimming.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Shatterface wrote:I like that Western where John Wayne tells Jesus to get off of his cross and drink his milk.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 7cd6a5.jpg
Being a perfectionist, George Stevens did many takes of John Wayne's single line, "Truly, this man was the son of God." A rumor has long persisted that at one stage Stevens pleaded with Wayne to show more emotion, an overwhelming sense of awe. During the next take, Wayne changed the line to, "Aw, truly this man was the son of God."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059245/tri ... =tr0717098

But he could play John Wayne like no one else. And Genghis Khan :lol:

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:While were at it.

[youtube][/youtube]
Jodie Foster was so hot in that movie, for like the only time ever.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:snip

Oh, it existed. I've always had the attention span of a gnat, and had such diagnosis existed back then (I'm 50) I'm sure I would have been diagnosed and possibly medicated. Glad I wasn't, really. A lot of things that used to be quirks are now cause for doctors and drugs, and what used to be fun and hijinks are now misdemeanors and felonies.
I've been ADD my whole life. It took me 10 years(with gaps)and 4 majors before I graduated college. A couple of years ago I was prescribed Adderall and it's been a life changer.

katamari Damassi

Saw Hidden Figures today. I liked it. It was a little heavy handed with its inspirational speeches and dialogues but given the subject matter and period, I gave it a pass. It had one moment where I silently called out bullshit but otherwise I enjoyed the movie.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The guy they caught jumping the fence and trying to get into the white house was a pizzagate believer that wanted to brief the president on it.
Folks out there need to look into it. See what they see. Decide for yourself. Make your voice heard.
Well after them making all of that racket, I did look into it. The only pedophiles that they had identified had already been arrested and convicted. I searched for their best evidence. One of their supporters told me to 'Google it.' After identifying their main case and wasting my time, it became evident that they are all (aside from the trolling channers taking these nuts for a ride) a bunch of conspiracy nutards running off with the absolute flimsiest of cases. Pizzagate is exactly what they appear on the surface. Fucking insane nuts who have got absolutely nothing.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Service Dog wrote:I met an attorney at an art event. She's running a background check on me today, to help me fix my no-valid-IDs problem. Just learned I'm wanted in Colorado for illegal​ swimming, since 1991.
Likely story. No valid IDs? Folks, I think we's found ourselves an illegals immigrant. Illegal swimming? How did the Rio Grande taste in your mouth. /jk

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Kirbmarc wrote:Incidentally, as a former muslim who has repeatedly said that Mohammed was a pedophile and a vicious warlord (which he was) apparently I'm supposed to be executed twice, once for apostasy the other time for blasphemy. Too bad I only have one neck!
Hanged, drawn and quartered good enough for you?

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/word ... -Death.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:Is Quigley down under still a western?

I'll add:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
Cat Balloo
Go West
Stagecoach
Destry Rides Again
The Wild Bunch
and
McCabe and Mrs Miller

to the list.
Anything with Cheech and Chong Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 387f10.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:Road Movies?

Wonder what people will make of this...

[youtube][/youtube]
Classic movie. Have yet to see the remake.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

InfraRedBucket wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Plain sight even. I meant.
"The woman at the back". LOL

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:Best Western movie ever?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... @._V1_.jpg
What is that fat postillion's fat ass parked in, an aussie poly? Why are his feet jammed so far into the stirrups? Well, at least there isn't anything around that might spook his horse.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

shoutinghorse wrote:Has Rebecca given a thinly veiled hint that she's missing someone? :cdc:

http://i.imgur.com/NWOkOaF.png
https://preview.ibb.co/gfmv3v/Screen_Sh ... _26_PM.png

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Incidentally, as a former muslim who has repeatedly said that Mohammed was a pedophile and a vicious warlord (which he was) apparently I'm supposed to be executed twice, once for apostasy the other time for blasphemy. Too bad I only have one neck!

[.img]http://all-that-is-interesting.com/word ... -Death.jpg[/img]
Meh. It's been done. Today all the craze in ISIS is to make you kneel on a bomb then detonate it.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Kirbmarc wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Meh. It's been done. Today all the craze in ISIS is to make you kneel on a bomb then detonate it.
Bah. No class. North Korea uses anti-aircraft guns for extra playfulness and satisfaction.

CaptainFluffyBunny

KiwiInOz wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:snip Kirbmarc

Bah. No class. North Korea uses anti-aircraft guns for extra playfulness and satisfaction.[/quote]
I liked their use of mortars for executions. Although the open casket funeral afterwards was in poor taste.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So if westerns fit with a certain time and place - there are also other themes that must be included for a story to qualify.

For instance

The Baron of Arizona - not a western
Huckleberry Finn / Tom Sawyer - not westerns (in any of their forms)
An Occurance at Owl Creek - not a western
The Beguiled - not a western

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I'm thinking we're getting close to the time where the pit will be needing a minds and or a vid.me tab.

Is You Tube dying?

[youtube][/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
You didn't even drink your first beer, because I had a long straw. I drank. Your beer! I drank it up!

katamari Damassi

Hunt wrote:
feathers wrote:
You didn't even drink your first beer, because I had a long straw. I drank. Your beer! I drank it up!
:clap:

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Very interesting piece of writing on the influence of postmodernism on the humanities:

https://areomagazine.com/2017/03/27/how ... explained/

We see in Lyotard an explicit epistemic relativity (belief in personal or culturally specific truths or facts) and the advocacy of privileging “lived experience” over empirical evidence. We see too the promotion of a version of pluralism which privileges the views of minority groups over the general consensus of scientists or liberal democratic ethics which are presented as authoritarian and dogmatic. This is consistent in postmodern thought.
It certainly offers some explanation as to why those of us who are rational find ourselves in firm disagreement with seemingly everyone nowadays.

CaptainFluffyBunny

DrokkIt wrote:Very interesting piece of writing on the influence of postmodernism on the humanities:

We see in Lyotard an explicit epistemic relativity (belief in personal or culturally specific truths or facts) and the advocacy of privileging “lived experience” over empirical evidence. We see too the promotion of a version of pluralism which privileges the views of minority groups over the general consensus of scientists or liberal democratic ethics which are presented as authoritarian and dogmatic. This is consistent in postmodern thought.
It certainly offers some explanation as to why those of us who are rational find ourselves in firm disagreement with seemingly everyone nowadays.
Oh, , thank the gawds we can blame the French.

No offense, Phil.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

DrokkIt wrote:Very interesting piece of writing on the influence of postmodernism on the humanities:

It goes around now. I find it perplexing that the world outside is so slow to catch up. All of this, and more, was discussed and explained ad infinitum at the Slymepit ages ago. And there is still a lot more missing. And yet, nobody bothered to look deeper into CRT, Richard Delgado, postmodern censorship and so on.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Aneris wrote:

It goes around now. I find it perplexing that the world outside is so slow to catch up. All of this, and more, was discussed and explained ad infinitum at the Slymepit ages ago. And there is still a lot more missing. And yet, nobody bothered to look deeper into CRT, Richard Delgado, postmodern censorship and so on.
For sure, but I am glad this message is getting more attention now. Hopefully it can go mainstream.

free thoughtpolice

Aneris when are you going to pay up?
[youtube][/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

deLurch wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I met an attorney at an art event. She's running a background check on me today, to help me fix my no-valid-IDs problem. Just learned I'm wanted in Colorado for illegal​ swimming, since 1991.
Likely story. No valid IDs? Folks, I think we's found ourselves an illegals immigrant. Illegal swimming? How did the Rio Grande taste in your mouth. /jk
I have swum in the Rio Grande. One time, I dropped my van off to get a new muffler/ then hopped in the river to be carried a few miles, to a relative's house. It was fresh & delightful.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

...and when I climbed out of the river, the adobe next to my relative's... belonged to an old man who was the nephew of the real-life folk hero, the people's gunfighter & attorney: Elfego Baca.

Give the first 2 minutes of this a try...
[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Info those in the pit with rug rats.

11-year-old girl's hands covered in third-degree burns after making "slime"
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girls-hands ... ing-slime/
“We’ve seen a variety of slime recipes oozing through cyberspace over the past few weeks,” Newell Brands said in a statement to CBS News earlier this mont
Borax sales are also on the rise because it’s a key ingredient in making slime. Doctors, however, have warned parents that Borax can be toxic if it’s not safely diluted, which may have been the case with Quinn.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And then, unexpectedly, a little sugar bubble floated into my mouth.

http://i.imgur.com/ssNzFs2.jpg

all genocides involve a genocidal process, not all genocidal processes lead to genocide.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

You will be relieved to know that Plait took timeout from filming series 8 of "Phil Plait’s Bad Universe." to offer her sympathy and a dobsonian to rotate on.