Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Slipterid

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Slipterid »

deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:And yet Watson still can't get a job.
Saturated job market for her narrow niche, and many other people already in that market niche are far more talented and have a much better work ethic than her.

She had opportunities. Really good opportunities. And she blew them all. And then they left her.
Oh but it's equality of outcome that matters! Equality of opportunity discriminates against poor victimised lazy lushes.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote:
I recently attended a lecture/discussion series on Milton's Paradise Lost, which I'm ashamed to say I had not previously read. Milton was a true believer, and as he famously wrote, it was intention to 'justify the ways of God to Man.' He did so with some non-canonical additions to the story, such as Jesus living in heaven at God's right hand even before the fall of satan and the creation of earth and mankind. He gives satan the task of arguing that the whole thing was a set-up, that mankind was doomed to fail from the outset and that god knew and either accepted this, or even deliberately designed the game that way (god probably scored rather high on neuroticism in your Big 5 tests). God predicts this in a discussion with Jesus and says that someone from heaven must sacrifice himself to redeem the errant humans, and Jesus volunteers on the spot. That's my boy! says God.
I wasn't a believer before attending, nor afterwards - I just like a good read and a good argument, but I did come away suspecting Milton had given the best arguments to satan, and made a good case for regarding him sympathetically as a sort of celestial freedom fighter.

Anyway, to offer a couple of quotes of the kind you might like, first there's Hitch:
“I find something repulsive about the idea of vicarious redemption. I would not throw my numberless sins onto a scapegoat and expect them to pass from me; we rightly sneer at the barbaric societies that practice this unpleasantness in its literal form. There's no moral value in the vicarious gesture anyway. As Thomas Paine pointed out, you may if you wish take on a another man's debt, or even to take his place in prison. That would be self-sacrificing. But you may not assume his actual crimes as if they were your own; for one thing you did not commit them and might have died rather than do so; for another this impossible action would rob him of individual responsibility. So the whole apparatus of absolution and forgiveness strikes me as positively immoral, while the concept of revealed truth degrades the concept of free intelligence by purportedly relieving us of the hard task of working out the ethical principles for ourselves.”

Richard Lederer:
"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages."

I can't find an attribution for many variations on this one:
"God sent his only son, who is also himself, and sacrificed himself to himself, to forgive humanity's sins"

Ah, the good old days when being an atheist meant a pleasant tingle of moral superiority rather than confused fumblings in elevators....

Since you mentioned Faust - Bedazzled (1967) - came to mind.

But I can't find a clip or a quote from the postbox scene.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY300_.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Really? wrote:What do you think? A new Pepsi commercial? Or useful?

[youtube][/youtube]
I wanna see The Orbit version. 40 people, perfect political lockstep, nothing gets built.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think the 'god sending himself (Jesus) as a sacrifice to himself' is a Bill Maher bit:

[youtube][/youtube]

But someone else may have done it first.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Kirbmarc wrote:Thunderfoot's latest video debunks a pretty stupid video from Prager University on global warming:

[youtube][/youtube]
Way too long. All he needs is 2-4 minutes on the science, then a couple of minutes on the takedown.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I think offering beer is a cheating move.

Let's see if they stay when they offer Coke instead.

The drink, obviously.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Bye Myers, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
And don't slip over the necrose porcupine still lingering on the doorstep lest it ends up in your rear.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

I know there are a lot of anime fans here, so I may be late to the party, but I'm really enjoying One Punch Man on Netflix. My reaction to it is similar to Venture Bros. Initially, both shows seem to be fairly narrow satire, although well conceived and well written satire. But as you move along and the target of the satire broadens, both shows amaze with how unexpectedly intelligent they are. There's a big thematic difference between the shows, though, in that Venture Brothers is implicitly about failure while One Punch Man is more about overachievement through staying true to yourself. Strongly recommended, but particularly for fans of Venture Bros. looking for a respite during the interminable wait between seasons.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Sulman wrote:Regarding Sargon, I've little evidence to back this, but my gut feeling, having occasionally watched him since the inception of Gamergate, is that he is much more right wing than he wants people to believe.

I remember him when that YouTube nutcase woman published some of his private Facebook commentary; there was stuff in there that objectively made him look like a bit of a bigot, in much the same way your old racist uncle might be.
He's just released another video full of pro-tory screed so it's safe to say confirmed 4 rightwing 2k17 @Sargon.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jugheadnaut wrote:I know there are a lot of anime fans here, so I may be late to the party, but I'm really enjoying One Punch Man on Netflix. My reaction to it is similar to Venture Bros. Initially, both shows seem to be fairly narrow satire, although well conceived and well written satire. But as you move along and the target of the satire broadens, both shows amaze with how unexpectedly intelligent they are. There's a big thematic difference between the shows, though, in that Venture Brothers is implicitly about failure while One Punch Man is more about overachievement through staying true to yourself. Strongly recommended, but particularly for fans of Venture Bros. looking for a respite during the interminable wait between seasons.
I've been jonesing for some Venture Brothers myself.

Archer is up to episode 3 of series 8 - thought it doesn't quite cut it for me. But the good news is that I completely missed out on the whole Samurai Jack thing - which I have to catch up on too.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

A few hours with Merkel & Lagarde is enough to turn anyone Globalist .. "Ve haz vayz of making you conform, ya?"

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Also 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' animated series (now almost 20 years old!) was a lot of fun.

It took much of it's inspiration from the 1950s comics (think of the 1960's TV series - but even more out there) - using 3rd and 4th string DC characters like Mr Polka-Dot and (I think) the 10-Eyed Man. Bat-Mite and Ambush Bug also made appearances.

They even did an adaptation of the 1950's Mad Magazine parody (as Warner Brother own DC comics and Mad Magazine) and had a story with Lord Death Man - from the 1960's Japanese Batman comics.

"It's a strange world lets keep it that way" as Warren Ellis said.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I don't recall this being posted, Tony the Shoop wrotea poem on punching Nazis.
When the Nazi doth choose
To venture outside
To push for the white man’s
ascension

To his right, he must cuck
his Hitlery head
His heart filled bigly with
tension.

To his left, he must cuck
his jackbooted head
His eyes with a much worried
gaze.

“No danger” “No danger”
He sighs with relief
His mind had been frightened
for days.

“We move from the shadows
to the mount where we stand
Nevermore shall we cower and
hide”

“Now is the time”
he ponders with glee
“To put an END to the white
genocide”

Consumed as he is
with his Master plan,
The nasty alt-fellow
be unaware.

Of the one, no two, no three
who appear.
“Three against one? You know
tis not fair.”

From a distance they stand
brass knuckles in hand
Each of them speaks
as one mind.

” ‘Fair’, you would ask, you foul
scented ass?!
What fairness have you shown
to our kind?”

” ‘Fair’ is a word you Nazi’s know not.
We KNOW of the word that you do.
you knew it then & we bring it now
thru FORCE we will end you.”

From the ashes of ash

and dust of the dust
Though you’ve once more appeared,
Know you this

and know you now
This time tis YOU who shall be afeared.”

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I don't recall this being posted, Tony the Shoop wrote a poem on punching Nazis.
Almost as bad as Yemmi's poetry, but it lacks references to menstrual blood. 2/10 not even so bad it's entertaining.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jugheadnaut wrote:I know there are a lot of anime fans here, so I may be late to the party, but I'm really enjoying One Punch Man on Netflix. My reaction to it is similar to Venture Bros. Initially, both shows seem to be fairly narrow satire, although well conceived and well written satire. But as you move along and the target of the satire broadens, both shows amaze with how unexpectedly intelligent they are. There's a big thematic difference between the shows, though, in that Venture Brothers is implicitly about failure while One Punch Man is more about overachievement through staying true to yourself. Strongly recommended, but particularly for fans of Venture Bros. looking for a respite during the interminable wait between seasons.
Yup enjoyable.

Just finished Attack on Titan and that was really good. It appears that season 2 is not being dribbled out. Tempting to dip into the spoilers, but I have so far avoided it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Yup enjoyable.

Just finished Attack on Titan and that was really good. It appears that season 2 is not being dribbled out. Tempting to dip into the spoilers, but I have so far avoided it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:I don't recall this being posted, Tony the Shoop wrote a poem on punching Nazis.
Almost as bad as Yemmi's poetry, but it lacks references to menstrual blood. 2/10 not even so bad it's entertaining.
So poignant. It's like Wilfred Owen never died. Perhaps we should dig him up and shoot him again.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Lsuoma wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Thunderfoot's latest video debunks a pretty stupid video from Prager University on global warming:

[youtube][/youtube]
Way too long. All he needs is 2-4 minutes on the science, then a couple of minutes on the takedown.
Yes, Moore's argument here is so ill-formed it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Don't know why Tfoot spent so much time refuting that CO2 was odorless or tasteless, which is irrelevent and Moore is arguably right. CO2 is odorless at the concentrations we typically encounter it, and I think what odor and taste it has comes from carbonic acid, which it forms when dissolved in water, so whether CO2 has a taste or smell or not is a semantic distinction. Ditto refuting whether CO2 is the source of food for all living things. He concedes this is true of plants, but ultimately the only source of food for animals is plants, so again Moore is arguably correct on this irrelevant point. Moore is making the clumsy argument that CO2 is an essential trace gas and actually stimulates plant growth, so how could it be considered a pollutant? Of course, pollutants, like poisons, are determined by the dose. If enough CO2 is emitted to increase atmospheric CO2 levels abnormally and potentially create negative consequences, it's a pollutant. As a PhD in ecology, Moore knows this and is being dishonest. Some of his points about CO2 are worth making, but in a much more careful context, not this deceptive one.

However, Tfoot is also being dishonest in using comparisons to nuclear bomb energy yields. Comparing energy that is released effectively in an instant over a small area to energy that is released continuously over a very large area is useless and designed to be misleading. For instance, the cumulative thermal energy radiated by every human being on earth is approximately 15 megatons per day, equivalent to 1000 Hiroshima bombs. Means nothing, of course.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Ape+lust wrote: I have no idea what he's gotten himself into. Take a few deep breaths first, because you might cringe hard enough to break something.

[youtube][/youtube]
Next week he's going to have pit favourites Flanders and Swann with their song:

"Momma's out, Poppa's out let's talk rude !
Pee, poe, belly bum drawers "

And we'll call that "Science" !

free thoughtpolice

jugheadnaut wrote:
For instance, the cumulative thermal energy radiated by every human being on earth is approximately 15 megatons per day, equivalent to 1000 Hiroshima bombs. Means nothing, of course.
Hot chicks don't cause global warming?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Really? wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:The latest filing (2/19/17) in the Carrier lawsuit.

Many thanks, jet_lagg. The whole lawsuit brings me joy.

My non-lawyer thoughts:

The judge is named "Watson." PZ may try to get him into a threesome with a sea slug out of force of habit.

Carrier is such a retard. He proudly proclaims "I am not an employee of Ohio-based Camp Quest or SSA" at the same time he claims that "these accusations hurt my standing with Ohio-based Camp Quest and SSA, which is why the case should be in Ohio."

I love that they point out Carrier's "credibility is in doubt." Durr...

Carrier submitted so many hilarious exhibits that it's only fair to have a bunch of hilarious hearings to ask Carrier question under oath.

I love that they're trying to help him. "What the plaintiff fails to understand and why he should perhaps welcome jurisdictional discovery and an evidentiary hearing, is that he has not met the prima facie standard."

Paraphrase: His only support for his assertion that the Orbit/FTB people knew that Carrier moved to Ohio was that he made a few online postings. He has no evidence they read these posts.
Cannot speak to the other defendants, but it seems likely that readers of FtB were aware of the move to Ohio, since he announced it on FtB.

http://web.archive.org/web/201604210237 ... ives/10017

Maybe PZ didn't read it, though. Best subpoena the backchannel just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

piginthecity wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: I have no idea what he's gotten himself into. Take a few deep breaths first, because you might cringe hard enough to break something.

[youtube][/youtube]
Next week he's going to have pit favourites Flanders and Swann with their song:

"Momma's out, Poppa's out let's talk rude !
Pee, poe, belly bum drawers "

And we'll call that "Science" !
[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:I believe that Robert Price described mythicism as believing that the facts of the life of Jesus (whether fictional, historical or a composite character) have been lost to the mists of history. (Though this might be a somewhat less committal definition than some give).

We simply don't have enough evidence to say much about his life in comparison to other contemporary figures eg Julius Ceasar.

Of course, Price's style might be considered a little juvenile by some too - but he does give credit where it is due even to opposing views such as Bart Ehrman.

And I do take your point about wanting to read something a little more serious - not something I could have whipped up myself by spending two hours reading wikipedia and slipping in as many geek jokes as possible with a sense of 'humour' dialled up to 11.
My definition would be: the Jesus of Nazareth, as depicted in the gospels, is not derived from and does not reflect, a real-life person. That does not rule out the existence of one or more historical messianic claimants who amy have given rise to a belief in a man-god, but there was no 'oral tradition' passed down for decades that led to the writing of the gospels. I would include heterodox research into the historical Paul as well.

There is a need for popularizing authors as well as scholarly ones. I don't find Price too juvenile, and highly recommend his Amazing Colossal Apostle. But Fitzgerald is an absolutely shitty writer who also doesn't seem very knowledgable at all.

Among the atheist slacktivists, there's a circle-jerk where they all reference each other -- Fitzgerald quotes Carrier, who quotes Lataster, who fellates quotes Carrier, who claims to have discovered all these concepts with his thumb like little Jack Horner. And they ignore or fail to mention the scores of serious scholars -- tenured theologians, philologists, classicists, etc. -- who over the past 200 years have produced a mountain of high-quality material on these subjects. So among US atheists, there's this false image that Sticky Dicky is an/the intellectual leader among mythicists. Worse, as his two key positions are: 1) Jesus' non-existence can be mathematically proved; 2) everyone 2,000 years ago believed Jesus was "crucified in outer space", all mythicists end up looking like kooks and crackpots and amateur hacks by association.

And then you have a fucktard like Dave Fitzgerald getting his taint handed to him in debates with christian apologists because he apparently didn't even read the New Testament very carefully.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ok - I've steeled myself for a bit of cringe.

Do you have a recommendation for a youtube vid - to see the worst of Fitzgerald?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Good article on the Seattle Milo shooting & the pressing of charges here.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... nnopoulos/

There is also some new-to-me video of the event.

Kind of funny that the video clip includes a two angle video with one labeled "SJW Crowd Shot video."

One thing is clear. His wife had no where near the amount of training necessary to carry that gun into a volatile situation.

I am not sure if the prosecution can convince a jury that this was a premeditated act. But this is also Seattle. Might be best for the couple to get this decided by an out of state jury.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Terry Firma at FA has joined the baffled chorus of people asking what the hell is going on with Nye's new show.

I might have to get around to watching this trainwreck.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The nearest I have ever come to reading any Milton - was reading Black Easter and The Day After Judgement by James Blish. The language may be too close to Chaucer to be easily digestible.

Though i do plan on taking the Metropolitan (purple) line out to Chafont & Latimer and wandering round the countryside (like a blind man) to visit his cottage - sometime this year.

If I recall he managed to hit the trifecta in surviving the Civil War, the Interregnum and the Restoration - so he must of been doing something right.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

MarcusAu wrote:Ok - I've steeled myself for a bit of cringe.

Do you have a recommendation for a youtube vid - to see the worst of Fitzgerald?
The Zapruder film?

:whistle:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

screwtape wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Can someone provide one of those bits of text which go something like this: "The christian god, who warned us not to eat the apple, knowing we were going to anyway and then had his son murdered but not really because it turned out to be a gag and he's fine"?

Thanks. Search engines are very hard to use for amusing religious quotes because of the signal/noise ratio.
I recently attended a lecture/discussion series on Milton's Paradise Lost, which I'm ashamed to say I had not previously read. Milton was a true believer, and as he famously wrote, it was intention to 'justify the ways of God to Man.' He did so with some non-canonical additions to the story, such as Jesus living in heaven at God's right hand even before the fall of satan and the creation of earth and mankind. He gives satan the task of arguing that the whole thing was a set-up, that mankind was doomed to fail from the outset and that god knew and either accepted this, or even deliberately designed the game that way (god probably scored rather high on neuroticism in your Big 5 tests). God predicts this in a discussion with Jesus and says that someone from heaven must sacrifice himself to redeem the errant humans, and Jesus volunteers on the spot. That's my boy! says God.
I wasn't a believer before attending, nor afterwards - I just like a good read and a good argument, but I did come away suspecting Milton had given the best arguments to satan, and made a good case for regarding him sympathetically as a sort of celestial freedom fighter.

Anyway, to offer a couple of quotes of the kind you might like, first there's Hitch:
“I find something repulsive about the idea of vicarious redemption. I would not throw my numberless sins onto a scapegoat and expect them to pass from me; we rightly sneer at the barbaric societies that practice this unpleasantness in its literal form. There's no moral value in the vicarious gesture anyway. As Thomas Paine pointed out, you may if you wish take on a another man's debt, or even to take his place in prison. That would be self-sacrificing. But you may not assume his actual crimes as if they were your own; for one thing you did not commit them and might have died rather than do so; for another this impossible action would rob him of individual responsibility. So the whole apparatus of absolution and forgiveness strikes me as positively immoral, while the concept of revealed truth degrades the concept of free intelligence by purportedly relieving us of the hard task of working out the ethical principles for ourselves.”

Richard Lederer:
"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages."

"God sent his only son, who is also himself, and sacrificed himself to himself, to forgive humanity's sins"

Ah, the good old days when being an atheist meant a pleasant tingle of moral superiority rather than confused fumblings in elevators....
Cheers Screwy. The Hitchens one will definitely work (he had a lovely way with words). The exact one I was after was a bit more new-atheist, not as classy as The Hitch.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

screwtape wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Can someone provide one of those bits of text which go something like this: "The christian god, who warned us not to eat the apple, knowing we were going to anyway and then had his son murdered but not really because it turned out to be a gag and he's fine"?

Thanks. Search engines are very hard to use for amusing religious quotes because of the signal/noise ratio.

Richard Lederer:

Cheers Screwy. The Hitchens one will definitely work (he had a lovely way with words). The exact one I was after was a bit more new-atheist, not as classy as The Hitch.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Great chat/hangout between Gad Saad and Yasmine Mohammed. People here definitely need to check it out:

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:And yet Watson still can't get a job.
Saturated job market for her narrow niche, and many other people already in that market niche are far more talented and have a much better work ethic than her.

She had opportunities. Really good opportunities. And she blew them all. And then they left her.
My sister has actually carved out a successful career not dissimilar to the one Beckybooze pissed away. She has a steady stream of assignments writing magazine articles for multiple publications, does a little video editing, serves as PR & government liaison and writes grant applications for a couple of regional orgs. It's a great life and she has to turn down work.

Of course, unlike The Skank, my sister is not a lazy, talentless, alcoholic who hates herself.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

http://imgur.com/FyxFYAW.jpg

I dunno, it always seemed Nazis could make any jellyfish stylishly sinister.

http://imgur.com/eeESsFc.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I never got around to completing the Big 5 test.
big5.png
(59.82 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Sunder wrote:Terry Firma at FA has joined the baffled chorus of people asking what the hell is going on with Nye's new show.

I might have to get around to watching this trainwreck.
The sex episode in question is episode 9 entitled "The Sexual Spectrum."
Now available on torrent. I am grabbing it now to view and assess.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:Ok - I've steeled myself for a bit of cringe.

You could read the free Kindle previews of his books, or you could just go to the local dog park and wait until a Irish Setter takes a squat.

Out there somewhere is an audio of him get smacked about by James "Religion Prof" McGrath, in a post-debate debate on the Ehrman-Price debate. Or you could just drop a mouse in front of a cat and let things play out.

I'm sure there are youtubes of him mugging and hamming at Skepticon in front of the giggly co-eds he and Sticky Dicky will later proposition for group sex.

Rumor has it Fitzgerald is nearly as big an arrogant, ad hominem -tossing cunt as his cum-swapping buddy, Dicky. A bit touchy about criticism, so I really hope to meet him in person some day.

free thoughtpolice

Ape+lust wrote:http://imgur.com/FyxFYAW.jpg

I dunno, it always seemed Nazis could make any jellyfish stylishly sinister.

http://imgur.com/eeESsFc.jpg
Nazis are so bad at art they can't even draw a baby rhino. :twatson:

Guest_fc4deb1e

Post by Guest_fc4deb1e »

deLurch wrote:Good article on the Seattle Milo shooting & the pressing of charges here.

seattletimes com/seattle-news/crime/couple-charged-with-assault-in-shooting-melee-during-uw-speech-by-milo-yiannopoulos/

There is also some new-to-me video of the event.

Kind of funny that the video clip includes a two angle video with one labeled "SJW Crowd Shot video."

One thing is clear. His wife had no where near the amount of training necessary to carry that gun into a volatile situation.

I am not sure if the prosecution can convince a jury that this was a premeditated act. But this is also Seattle. Might be best for the couple to get this decided by an out of state jury.
The article says she has been charged with first degree assault:
RCW 9A.36.011
Assault in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:
(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death; or
(b) Administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, the human immunodeficiency virus as defined in chapter 70.24 RCW, or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(c) Assaults another and inflicts great bodily harm.
(2) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.
It's not clear that premeditation matters at all to that charge.

My law degree comes from legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary com/Self-Defense where all my professors gave me a dime and told me to call my mother, but before that, said:
A person claiming self-defense must prove at trial that the self-defense was justified. Generally a person may use reasonable force when it appears reasonably necessary to prevent an impending injury. A person using force in self-defense should use only so much force as is required to repel the attack. Nondeadly force can be used to repel either a nondeadly attack or a deadly attack. Deadly Force may be used to fend off an attacker who is using deadly force but may not be used to repel an attacker who is not using deadly force.
I think she's in a world of shit and at the moment, looks like she should be.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You could read the free Kindle previews of his books, or you could just go to the local dog park and wait until a Irish Setter takes a squat.

Out there somewhere is an audio of him get smacked about by James "Religion Prof" McGrath, in a post-debate debate on the Ehrman-Price debate. Or you could just drop a mouse in front of a cat and let things play out.

I'm sure there are youtubes of him mugging and hamming at Skepticon in front of the giggly co-eds he and Sticky Dicky will later proposition for group sex.

Rumor has it Fitzgerald is nearly as big an arrogant, ad hominem -tossing cunt as his cum-swapping buddy, Dicky. A bit touchy about criticism, so I really hope to meet him in person some day.
This appears to be a situation where guilt by association could actually be a thing.

If outsiders see us both as atheists and on that basis are prepared to attribute the badly formed opinions of Carrier et al to me - then it starts to become a problem.

The best thing I can think to do is to get some understanding of whatever it is they are spouting (re Jesus) and draw a line in the sand to strongly distinguish between their position and mine.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Kirbmarc wrote:Great chat/hangout between Gad Saad and Yasmine Mohammed. People here definitely need to check it out:

[youtube].[/youtube]
I'm only just found out about Yasmine. I'm impressed by her. She also pisses off regressive SJWs just as much as the Islamists, which means she is doing it right!

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

I was conflicted with every questions that seems to relate with "Openness to experience". Do i answer with how i was for most of my life or how i was for the last 6 or 7 years? My behaviours changed a lot on that front after i went through some mental problems (depression and anxiety). Anyway i went with last 6 or 7 years.

Openness to experience 15
Conscientiousness 20
Extraversion 7
Agreeableness 21
Natural Reactions 49

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So after my success with a turkey over the last holiday, I decided to try my hand at roasting a chicken. Extremely tender. The meat is perfectly cooked. I could go for more flavoring, but what I am most looking forward to is the chicken soup I will make with the bones afterwards.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Try shoving a whole lemon up it.

This works for the turkey too.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Sulman wrote:Regarding Sargon, I've little evidence to back this, but my gut feeling, having occasionally watched him since the inception of Gamergate, is that he is much more right wing than he wants people to believe.

I remember him when that YouTube nutcase woman published some of his private Facebook commentary; there was stuff in there that objectively made him look like a bit of a bigot, in much the same way your old racist uncle might be.
He's just released another video full of pro-tory screed so it's safe to say confirmed 4 rightwing 2k17 @Sargon.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Finally got around to watching Dave Chappelle's new special. Lots of great stuff and a conflicted but funny take on the Cosby case.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:Try shoving a whole lemon up it.
This works for the turkey too.
I did that. Of course I was shy on onions.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Jonathan Demme dead of oesophageal cancer.

[youtube][/youtube]

dogen

Post by dogen »

Really? wrote:The MRA shitlord lawyer representing PZ and friends against Sticky Dicky has posted a brief essay on Popehat.
The "March for Science" seemed like a great idea. Science is awesome. Making decisions based on evidence and the scientific method is superior to making decisions based on superstition and emotion. So yay science.

I'm certain (or at least willing to believe) that the organizers were truly motivated by a desire for evidence-based policymaking to conquer superstition and emotion. But, as I review the smug "look at how enlightened we are for marching" pictures and posts on social media, I realize that the leaders and the crowd might not have the same motivations.

Science tells us that the earth is getting warmer and we are probably doing it. Science tells us that this is bad. Therefore, we want science. (Some science also tells us we can fix it).

Now do a thought experiment: Imagine if you showed up to that march with science that supported an anti-abortion position (just as one example) do you think you would have been welcomed? Imagine if science told us that life begins at conception, and thus abortion is actually taking a human life. Imagine if it didn't go that far, but the evidence bore out something less radical, but still some result that kicked at the legs of Roe v. Wade. Yeah, imagine.

How many of the people in the crowds yesterday would still be screaming for science based policymaking?

Pick any pussy-hat-wearing cause, and throw science at its walls. If science breaches those walls, would those within still stay true to their cause? Or would they surrender to the scientific evidence?

We don't need to ask this in hypotheticals. The statistics and the studies show that the "wage gap" is a fabrication. Yay science? Charles Murray may be right, or he may be wrong, but very few people who marched yesterday would want to hear him out. Why? Because when scientific debate makes some people uncomfortable, they don't want science — they want "religion." (example1 ) (example 2) (examples 3-10) No, not "religion" as in hocus-pocus and magic space zombies, but "religion" as in an orthodoxy of thought, and the fate of a heretic for those who challenge the sacred scrolls.

I admit that I have no scientific evidence of this. But, my hypothesis is that more than half of the people marching yesterday would lose their minds if we embraced evidence-based-policymaking and it gored the ox of their identity-politics.

I would love to see a movement for true evidence-based policymaking, where the participants would truly be pleased to let the evidence guide the decision — even if it slays their own sacred cows.

But, we don't have that. I doubt we ever will.
https://www.popehat.com/2017/04/23/randazza-science/

If nothing else, PZ has his dignity and his steadfast adherence to his core values and principles. I fully expect him and his codefendants to drop Marc Randazza like SSA finally dumped Carrier.

The comments are pretty interesting.
Especially those by 'Ann'. She posts lots of graphs showing 'muh wage gap', but in each case the graph shows an earnings gap not a wage gap. Perhaps one of the shitlords on here could set her straight?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. Finished watching that Bill Nye show, episode 9.

25 minutes. Extremely low on information or scientific fact. His primary premise is that everything is confusing and even our scientific definitions don't match.

"You can't identify the gender of a brain just by looking at it."

Cultural Anthropologist: "No such thing as a gay gene."

Noticeable use of laugh & applause track.

Bill Nye tried to explain a version of the Gender Bread man minus the Gender Bread person. The examples he gave absolutely did not match up with his little abacus.

https://imgoat.com/uploads/ab3238922b/13918.png

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

It was a wreak for someone who promotes himself as the "science guy."

He absolutely lumped in gay-bi-straight issues with all the fuckwadary of the transgender crowd. And not just the sane transgenders. If promotions like this continue, I think it might actually start to reverse all of the good effort made into gay acceptance. And all of the true transgenders who have had a tough enough time as it is, are going to get lumped in with the transtrenders. This is not a good thing.

He berates everyone else who just doesn't get it, and get over it. But he just glances past issues such as bathrooms/change rooms.

The world would have been a better place had Bill Nye not made this episode. This is pure ammo for people who want to push back on the gays & transpeople.

Oh, and Phil Plait. You have done harm to the gay and trans communities with this episode. If you have any sense of caring about these communities, pull it down now and burn it. Make sure it never sees the official light of day again.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

dogen wrote:
Really? wrote:The MRA shitlord lawyer representing PZ and friends against Sticky Dicky has posted a brief essay on Popehat.
The "March for Science" seemed like a great idea. Science is awesome. Making decisions based on evidence and the scientific method is superior to making decisions based on superstition and emotion. So yay science.

I'm certain (or at least willing to believe) that the organizers were truly motivated by a desire for evidence-based policymaking to conquer superstition and emotion. But, as I review the smug "look at how enlightened we are for marching" pictures and posts on social media, I realize that the leaders and the crowd might not have the same motivations.
<snip>
We don't need to ask this in hypotheticals. The statistics and the studies show that the "wage gap" is a fabrication. Yay science? Charles Murray may be right, or he may be wrong, but very few people who marched yesterday would want to hear him out. Why? Because when scientific debate makes some people uncomfortable, they don't want science — they want "religion." (example1 ) (example 2) (examples 3-10) No, not "religion" as in hocus-pocus and magic space zombies, but "religion" as in an orthodoxy of thought, and the fate of a heretic for those who challenge the sacred scrolls.

I admit that I have no scientific evidence of this. But, my hypothesis is that more than half of the people marching yesterday would lose their minds if we embraced evidence-based-policymaking and it gored the ox of their identity-politics.
<snip>
https://www.popehat.com/2017/04/23/randazza-science/

If nothing else, PZ has his dignity and his steadfast adherence to his core values and principles. I fully expect him and his codefendants to drop Marc Randazza like SSA finally dumped Carrier.

The comments are pretty interesting.
Especially those by 'Ann'. She posts lots of graphs showing 'muh wage gap', but in each case the graph shows an earnings gap not a wage gap. Perhaps one of the shitlords on here could set her straight?
Seems that wage/earnings gap is a bit of a sticky wicket - people not always comparing apples and apples, different factors and aspects being ignored or discounted.

In any case, quite a good post on the same topic, the March for Science, over at Slate - somewhat surprising in itself - by "Jeremy Samuel Faust [who] is an emergency medicine physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and a clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School" (obviously has some chops), and who advances a similar thesis:
The Problem With the March for Science

Our culture’s understanding of science is very, very broken, and on Saturday, it was impossible to ignore.

Hundreds of thousands of self-professed science supporters turned out to over 600 iterations of the March for Science around the world this weekend. Thanks to the app Periscope, I attended half a dozen of them from the comfort of my apartment, thereby assiduously minimizing my carbon footprint.

Mainly, these marches appeared to be a pleasant excuse for liberals to write some really bad (and, OK, some truly superb) puns, and put them on cardboard signs. There were also some nicely stated slogans that roused support for important concepts such as reason and data and many that decried the defunding of scientific research and ignorance-driven policy.

But here’s the problem: Little of what I observed dissuades me from my baseline belief that, even among the sanctimonious elite who want to own science (and pwn anyone who questions it), most people have no idea how science actually works. The scientific method itself is already under constant attack from within the scientific community itself and is ceaselessly undermined by its so-called supporters, including during marches like those on Saturday. In the long run, such demonstrations will do little to resolve the myriad problems science faces and instead could continue to undermine our efforts to use science accurately and productively. ....

But there is very little indication that what happened on Saturday will counter these misconceptions. Instead, the march revealed the glaring dissonance of opposing that trough of ignorance by instead accepting a cringe-worthy hive-mind mentality that celebrates Science as a vague but wonderful entity, what Richard Feynman called “cargo cult science.” There was an uncomfortable dronelike fealty to the concept—an oxymoronic faith that information presented and packaged to us as Science need not be further scrutinized before being smugly celebrated en masse. That is not intellectually rigorous thought—instead, it’s another kind of religion, and it is perhaps as terrifying as the thing it is trying to fight. ....

I am glad that people believe science is a concept worth marching for. But the reality is that the state of affairs within the scientific community and literacy among its “fans” lies largely in shambles. The March for Science, and the somewhat mindless glee that was on display, is entirely antithetical to the idea of science as a whole. For one thing, scientists are legendary flip-floppers. That’s actually a strength of genuine science, not a weakness. When the facts change, opinions must follow suit, not vice versa. ....

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Just had the pressure cooker fail on me as I was checking it. Thank goodness it failed as designed. Parsley, leeks and broth all over the place. The first time I have ever had to mops the ceiling. I will definitely buy that manufacture of pressure cookers again.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I was heading out of town overnight last nite, so I booked my dog into the local kennel. I asked them about a grooming session for the next morning, and they told me they had a 10:30 a.m. slot open. So I get back into town this early morning, kill some time running errands and stuff, then make my way over to the kennel by noon. They tell me they'd just started bathing my dog and it takes two hours -- wait until they call me.

I've got groceries in the car, so I drive 30 minutes home. Then 20 minutes later they call to say my dog is ready to be picked up. So I drive 30 minutes back.

When I note that all this has inconvenienced me quite a bit, the staff gets all testy about how I should have waited until they called me. I said I had a reasonable expectation that when I booked my dog for a 10:30 grooming appointment, my dog would be groomed at 10:30. 'Oh, that's just an estimate of when the groomer might get around to it,' they say.

The kennel owner then comes out and says, "why don't you keep your money and find yourself another kennel." He then hands me my dog's leash and collar, as he's taken them off of her and let her run loose and panicked up and down their halls. I have to go fetch her.

I'm gonna Yelp-fuck that bastard up the ass until he bleeds. Get all my friends to Yelp-fuck him. Write a letter to the editor too. You do not fuck with one of my animals like that.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I was heading out of town overnight last nite, so I booked my dog into the local kennel. I asked them about a grooming session for the next morning, and they told me they had a 10:30 a.m. slot open. So I get back into town this early morning, kill some time running errands and stuff, then make my way over to the kennel by noon. They tell me they'd just started bathing my dog and it takes two hours -- wait until they call me.

I've got groceries in the car, so I drive 30 minutes home. Then 20 minutes later they call to say my dog is ready to be picked up. So I drive 30 minutes back.

When I note that all this has inconvenienced me quite a bit, the staff gets all testy about how I should have waited until they called me. I said I had a reasonable expectation that when I booked my dog for a 10:30 grooming appointment, my dog would be groomed at 10:30. 'Oh, that's just an estimate of when the groomer might get around to it,' they say.

The kennel owner then comes out and says, "why don't you keep your money and find yourself another kennel." He then hands me my dog's leash and collar, as he's taken them off of her and let her run loose and panicked up and down their halls. I have to go fetch her.

I'm gonna Yelp-fuck that bastard up the ass until he bleeds. Get all my friends to Yelp-fuck him. Write a letter to the editor too. You do not fuck with one of my animals like that.
Not sure if it is fair to get your friends in on the act. But go ahead and go full Monty by posting on facebook, google reviews, the BBB and maybe a few others out there.

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I was heading out of town overnight last nite, so I booked my dog into the local kennel. I asked them about a grooming session for the next morning, and they told me they had a 10:30 a.m. slot open. So I get back into town this early morning, kill some time running errands and stuff, then make my way over to the kennel by noon. They tell me they'd just started bathing my dog and it takes two hours -- wait until they call me.

Not sure if it is fair to get your friends in on the act. But go ahead and go full Monty by posting on facebook, google reviews, the BBB and maybe a few others out there.
Sometimes it is the little irritating shit that get to you. I went to downtown Detroit to watch my daughters choir. I parked in a parking zone. Double checked for no parking signs. I looked at the paint stripe on the ground and I was clearly in a parking area. So.... I pay the $3 for parking at the station... and go to the show Very nice. Then I return to my car to find a fucking parking ticket. God damn those fuckers. There is a shitty little sign turned the wrong way indicating I am parked at a fucking bus stop. WTF. I was really careful to check all the signs. It's like these fuckers put these shitty little signs at stupid angles just so they can give you a $45 ticket. Used to be that a parking ticket in Detroit was $20..... but not anymore. The cops love to steal everyone's money now. Fucking cop whores!

Do not surrender! Fight the man!

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

deLurch wrote:OK. Finished watching that Bill Nye show, episode 9.

25 minutes. Extremely low on information or scientific fact. His primary premise is that everything is confusing and even our scientific definitions don't match.

"You can't identify the gender of a brain just by looking at it."

Cultural Anthropologist: "No such thing as a gay gene."
Is this actually said in the video? I skipped some parts, might have missed it.

For the bain part its still a common position since identifying brains by genders is a recent thing. Add to that that one study that said we cannot do it that came out not long ago was highly publicized but the studies that debunked it were not. Its still false anyway.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"Always name names"

ConcentratedH2O, OM

*snip*
The world would have been a better place had Bill Nye not made this episode. This is pure ammo for people who want to push back on the gays & transpeople.

Oh, and Phil Plait. You have done harm to the gay and trans communities with this episode. If you have any sense of caring about these communities, pull it down now and burn it. Make sure it never sees the official light of day again.
Bill Nye:
There are also bisexual people, who are attracted to two or more sexes.
"Bisexual".

Unicycle, bicycle, tricycle.

You shitty scientist, Bill Nye. You terrible, terrible scientist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bill Nye's recent strutting ......

Remember back when FtB were arrogant cunts who would name names even when they weren't naming names?

http://i.imgur.com/p4gvZIa.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

@pro-boxing-fan. I went back through the video. If you watch the Pirate's version starting around the 12:45 mark with the panel, it is the initial conversation with Dr. Katrina, right after the introductions.

Here is the more contentiously typed excerpt:
Nye: Everybody, just everybody has asked me about this the last few days. Is there such a thing as a gay gene?
Dr. Katrina: No.
(Applause)
Nye: There is no such thing. People have studied it. Have tried to sort it out.
Dr. Katrina: Ya now, basically we have this long standing desire to try and find biological orgins of all kinds of sexual behaviors and desires. We've only been able to think about the idea of gay genes since the category of homosexuality came into being.
Personally, I don't care what the answer is. I just hate when people play both sides of the fence. There is no shame to either truth.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

*snip*

Bill Nye:
There are also bisexual people, who are attracted to two or more sexes.
"Bisexual".

Unicycle, bicycle, tricycle.

You shitty scientist, Bill Nye. You terrible, terrible scientist.
You're surprised that this is what it has come to? In SJW math, 1 + 1 = infinity.