Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Shatterface

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Shatterface »

So typical FtBer is white, mid-forties, male, no kids.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Could just be PZ by himself refreshing the page over and over to count comments.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

katamari Damassi wrote:Openness to Experience: 54
Work Ethic: 1 (I may have a lower score than Rebecca Watson! How embarrassing.)
Extraversion: 18
Agreeableness: 1
Natural Reactions: 72

My husband came out almost the exact opposite. Still, I dispute these numbers. I think I'm more open to experience, more agreeable, and less prone to stress.
The questions lead me to believe that the natural reactions category is conflating two sorts of stress. I've always suffered from anxiety, so if you ask me at any given moment what my stress levels are I'm going to say high to very high. But I'm also reasonably functional. You have to come up with coping mechanisms for this sort of thing after all. As a result, I find I'm the one in the group least likely to freak out when shit hits the fan and everyone's anxiety levels go through the roof. It's just another day in internally screaming land for me.

I can also simulate agreeableness in moments of dire need. ;)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote:Could just be PZ by himself refreshing the page over and over to count comments.
He has children and is too old.

Latsot, John Morales, Nick Gotts, Tony, GAS and Ogvorbis fit the mold better.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:Did I mention I got a 1 on the agreeable index?

http://i.imgur.com/URVBI4v.jpg
Mate, you fucking Strine! What did you expect?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well, it's one in the eye for the mythicists as first hand sources concerning Jesus' life have come to light.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote: Latsot, John Morales, Nick Gotts, Tony, GAS and Ogvorbis fit the mold better.
That works on so many levels.

http://i.imgur.com/9qb3duw.jpg

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I always disliked the simplistic, almost adolescent portrayal of people in Rand's novels when I read them in my twenties, but fuck me if she isn't sharp as hell in identifying the behaviours, particularly the perversion of scientists in pursuit of an ideology, and the promotion of complete guff as a new reality.

A bit like Marx in that respect, I suppose. Pretty decent in identifying where a system goes wrong, not so hot in proposing how to fix it.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

deLurch wrote:OK. Finished watching that Bill Nye show, episode 9.

25 minutes. Extremely low on information or scientific fact. His primary premise is that everything is confusing and even our scientific definitions don't match.
From what I could tell, this particular episode did not put forth (many) claims which could be scientifically refuted or validated.

It is your "goddamn right" to "sex how you like," masturbating into a fleshlight while Skyping with a sad clown? Probably so, in the States, given the line of cases from Griswold v. Connecticut to Lawrence v. Texas. Not exactly a scientific question, though.

Is it a bad idea to enthusiastically encourage everyone to adopt vanilla heterosexuality? Very probably so, IMO. Does this episode bring up any scientific findings on point? Not so much.

Should we be laid back about letting people make their own choices with respect to sexual partner and gender expression? I'd say so, but this is a moral question rather than a scientific one, for the most part.

Judging by the tone of the show, addressing actual scientific questions around sex and gender would have been too dangerous, given the intended audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

John D

Post by John D »

What the fuck is a fleshlight and what does it have to do with my masturbation preferences?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Now you've done it.

John D

Post by John D »

Oh shit. I did a search and I can officially announce that I plan on sticking with my right hand which I have affectionately named "Rosie Palm".

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I never got around to completing the Big 5 test.
big5.png
LOL, that reminds me of one of my favourite jokes: "I used to be indecisive - but now I'm not so sure."

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

John D wrote:What the fuck is a fleshlight and what does it have to do with my masturbation preferences?
Have fun down that rabbit hole.

In fact, having fun down holes is sort of the point, I suppose.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

In case anyone is feeling nostalgic for Gamergate...

James Desborough (Grim Jim on youtube) - is considering writing a book to present the pro side and in response to Zoe Quinn's take (I think her book is due out shortly, if it's not already).

[youtube][/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

gurugeorge wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I never got around to completing the Big 5 test.
big5.png
LOL, that reminds me of one of my favourite jokes: "I used to be indecisive - but now I'm not so sure."
Wasn't there a Smirnoff ad campaign in the 70's that used that line and which led in turn to a whole range of silly versions usually graffito-ed on toilet walls? I used to stutter - but now I'm c-c-c-ured. I used to be rude - but now you can just fuck off. Etc etc.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sulman wrote:I always disliked the simplistic, almost adolescent portrayal of people in Rand's novels when I read them in my twenties, but fuck me if she isn't sharp as hell in identifying the behaviours, particularly the perversion of scientists in pursuit of an ideology, and the promotion of complete guff as a new reality.

A bit like Marx in that respect, I suppose. Pretty decent in identifying where a system goes wrong, not so hot in proposing how to fix it.
That's because what's actually "wrong" is reality. Rand is great at identifying the troubles with human idealism, with the idea that human nature can be changed and reshaped at will, but terrible at understanding that social, cultural and structural forces DO indeed, shape societies, even though not in conscious way, and that rugged individualism is myth. Marx, on the other hand, is great at understanding the origins of social, cultural and structural forces that shape societies, but terrible when it comes to realizing that those forces cannot be consciously redirected and steered by a social engineer, and that the Rousseauian "state of nature" without oppression is also a myth.

In reality people are neither individual Ubermenschen who forge their own destiny through sheer determination and hard work nor puppets/robots who can be directed and reprogrammed towards a glorious future of sharing and caring by an élite of social engineers. People are neither completely self-supporting nor able to embrace humanity as a whole. People are tribal, their allegiances go to their family (natural or acquired), to their circles of friends and to what they perceive to be the "identity" of their tribe. People don't have complete individual moral autonomy or "class consciousness", they have values which define their allegiance to a side.

Without a common framework of compromise tribes fight each other for supremacy, and the strongest ones subjugate the weaker ones. This has happened countless times throughout the course of human history, and it's still happening in many parts of the world.

Liberal democracy, with all its imperfections, is an attempt to come to a compromise between different tribes by creating institutions that can mediate between different interests. The aim of the liberal democratic state isn't to direct the social game towards the common goal of abolishing differences between tribes but neither to sit by and watch while the strongest tribe trounces the weaker ones. A liberal democratic state enforces equal laws, equal rights, and a fighting chance in the game of life. The Lockean social pact is the core element of liberal democracy. Liberal democracies require a degree of common trust in their institutions and in the possibility of reforming them to address specific issues.

The trouble with the po-mo left is that they think that some tribes deserve special treatment as payback for past exploitation and abuse (slavery or colonialism or The Patriatchy) and assume that liberal democracy shouldn't act as a referee which enforces pacts but actively transform society to fit the needs of those tribes. The influence of the Marxist idea of social engineering is pretty evident. On the other hand parts of the right are rejecting modernity altogether and are back to the pre-Enlightenment idea that their tribe should dominate over others. Trust in liberal institutions institutions is being constantly eroded by the Culture War. The po-mo left disqualifies them as being "the creation of straight white males", while the anti-modern right rejects them altogether.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John D wrote:What the fuck is a fleshlight and what does it have to do with my masturbation preferences?
https://media0.giphy.com/media/vRsbG0Z1CY0i4/giphy.gif

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

For those up for entertainment... well we'll see.

Berkeley rally info: Thursday 4/27 2pm MLK Park. Based Stickman, Gavin McInnes, Lauren Southern, Brittany Pettibone and more will be speaking.

Given the back & forth on Ann Couture canceling, I wonder if that will diminish Antifa's numbers.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:Oh shit. I did a search and I can officially announce that I plan on sticking with my right hand which I have affectionately named "Rosie Palm".
[youtube][/youtube]

BTW, Ivor Biggun was Doc Cox from the delightfully clean Esther Rantzen show That's Life.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey, another terror attack attempt near Parliament!!

(OK, it's only an arrest on SUSPICION of terrorism, but, hey! Surely the BBC wouldn't even use the T word unless the evidence was pretty damn' strong...)

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

MarcusAu wrote:Just thinking about my favourite movies of Jonathan Demme (besides the obvious)

I enjoy most of the stuff he and his contemporaries did when working for Roger Corman in the 70s.
- for example Black Mama White Mama or the classic of the women in prison genre Caged Heat

- Melvin and Howard and Something Wild were also fun too (though Melanie Griffith is way over rated, and no substitute for her mother).

Will raise a glass tonight in memory or time well spent (or wasted) watching much of his work.
I like most of Demme's movies, especially Something Wild, but could never forgive him for the horrifically self-indulgent Rachel Getting Married, my personal worst movie ever, also containing the worst individual movie scene. The second half was like being forced to watch home movies of a wedding of a family you don't know but quickly dislike. I eventually stopped watching during the unending wedding footage when it became clear the movie was more about reveling in how tolerant and multicultural the characters are over stodgy concepts like story and thematic flow. I guess plot is a Western imperialist concept that had no place in a movie celebrating diversity. It's been almost 10 years, yet I still feel the burning hate I had when I first watched it.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Was doing some thinking about things like IQ or athletics or anything for which there's any sort of measured racial/gender variation in performance.

Thing is, for an individualist, these things shouldn't really matter. They're trends, not destiny.

But to groupish thinkers on both the left and right, this is not the case. Identity is everything. The trend of the group is all that matters. Racists use it as a justification to treat whole classes of people as inferior and disregard any individuals who buck the trend because individuals don't matter. Anti-racists deny the existence of the trends in the first place, against all evidence. And on all fronts individualism loses ground.

This is why I'm not optimistic about conservatism riding to the rescue. The primary front rising up to fight against left-identitarians has been right-identitarians. Whoever wins, individualists lose.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Sulman wrote:I always disliked the simplistic, almost adolescent portrayal of people in Rand's novels when I read them in my twenties, but fuck me if she isn't sharp as hell in identifying the behaviours, particularly the perversion of scientists in pursuit of an ideology, and the promotion of complete guff as a new reality.

Like many libertarians, I went through an Ayn Rand admiring period in my teens. I first realized she was full of shit with regards to describing how her ideal society would work when I read an essay of hers touching on taxation. Of course, any kind of coercive taxation would not be allowed, but she was not any form of anarchist and acknowledged the retaliatory-source-of-force government she regarded as legitimate required resources. Uncharacteristically, she admitted she wasn't sure of the solution but seriously suggested a voluntary lottery could be the answer. So she was imagining the hyper-rational, anti-altruistic people that populate her idealized society would be willing to play the lottery to fund the government.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

jet_lagg wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Openness to Experience: 54
Work Ethic: 1 (I may have a lower score than Rebecca Watson! How embarrassing.)
Extraversion: 18
Agreeableness: 1
Natural Reactions: 72

My husband came out almost the exact opposite. Still, I dispute these numbers. I think I'm more open to experience, more agreeable, and less prone to stress.
The questions lead me to believe that the natural reactions category is conflating two sorts of stress.
All five traits are conflations of six 'facets', which are synonyms for the overall trait. Not just synonyms in the thesaurus-- but [as I understand it] they appear as clusters in the data. So Contientious might include 'do you cheat on your spouse?' and 'Do you leave your wet bath towel on the floor?'... which would conflate the moral Responsibility & superficial Orderliness connotations of being Contientious. But there -is- some measurable correlation between the two. Allegedly.

On the survey result page, there's a check-box marked Hide Facets. If you uncheck it-- the subtraits are revealed:
http://i.imgur.com/u6cA7wB.png

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: This appears to be a situation where guilt by association could actually be a thing.

If outsiders see us both as atheists and on that basis are prepared to attribute the badly formed opinions of Carrier et al to me - then it starts to become a problem.

The best thing I can think to do is to get some understanding of whatever it is they are spouting (re Jesus) and draw a line in the sand to strongly distinguish between their position and mine.
When amateur hacks like Fitzgerald, and crackpots like Carrier, are pushed & promoted, it does reflect poorly on not just all mythicists, but all atheists.

And I just called out Neil Godfrey of Vridar for doing so:

http://vridar.org/2017/04/24/jesus-myth ... ment-81563

Godfrey, btw, though technically an "amateur" (& see Carrier's back-handed & completely self-unaware praise for Godfrey), is one of the most well-read, informed, and insightful observers among mythicists. Why he kowtows to ass-cheese merchants like Carrier & Fitzgerald, I don't get.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

We're leaving for Florence tomorrow in order to attend my singer's wedding. Don't be alarmed if I don't post one of my insightful comments until Sunday.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Intersectionality Wars!

Who is oppressing who?... Resting Bitch Face vs. Yellow Face?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32323/

Resting Bitch Face is Real, Scientists Say
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/health/re ... arch-irpt/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:We're leaving for Florence tomorrow in order to attend my singer's wedding. Don't be alarmed if I don't post one of my insightful comments until Sunday.
Which one of the previous 11013 was insightful?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jugheadnaut wrote: I like most of Demme's movies, especially Something Wild, but could never forgive him for the horrifically self-indulgent Rachel Getting Married, my personal worst movie ever, also containing the worst individual movie scene. The second half was like being forced to watch home movies of a wedding of a family you don't know but quickly dislike. I eventually stopped watching during the unending wedding footage when it became clear the movie was more about reveling in how tolerant and multicultural the characters are over stodgy concepts like story and thematic flow. I guess plot is a Western imperialist concept that had no place in a movie celebrating diversity. It's been almost 10 years, yet I still feel the burning hate I had when I first watched it.
I have extreme mixed emotions on RACHEL GETTING MARRIED. On the one (plus) hand, it accurately showed just how inherently selfish mental illness is, and how low co-dependency & facilitation can sink and poison everything. The dad, in particular, was a complete, ineffective pussy.

On the other (vomiting) hand, during the wedding scenes, I felt the urge to gun down all the supercilious regressive leftists, so smugly virtue-signaling how wonderful it was their daughter was marrying a black man, oohing and ahhing at the deepity pseudo-wisdom of the magical negro gramma, all while blatantly culturally appropriating the Hindus. For a brief moment, I thought maybe this was a subtle lampoon, but I suspect not.

And yes, I hate fucking wedding toasts when I suffer through them at weddings, so please don't torture me with extended cinema verité versions that needlessly bog down an already plodding film.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: When amateur hacks like Fitzgerald, and crackpots like Carrier, are pushed & promoted, it does reflect poorly on not just all mythicists, but all atheists.

And I just called out Neil Godfrey of Vridar for doing so:

http://vridar.org/2017/04/24/jesus-myth ... ment-81563

Godfrey, btw, though technically an "amateur" (& see Carrier's back-handed & completely self-unaware praise for Godfrey), is one of the most well-read, informed, and insightful observers among mythicists. Why he kowtows to ass-cheese merchants like Carrier & Fitzgerald, I don't get.
It's worth posting here Dickie's praise for Godfrey:
The Most Clever Man Who Loves Semen Play wrote:Neil Godfrey and Tim Widowfield, who both write at Vridar . . . happen to be some of the most astute and well-read amateurs you can read on the internet on the subject of biblical historicity. I call them amateurs only for the reason that they don’t have, so far as I know, advanced degrees in the subject. But I have often been impressed with their grasp of logic and analysis of scholarship. I don’t always agree with them, but I respect their work.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

I'm skeptical of the value of the test given my numbers:

Openness to experience 94
Conscientiousness 72
Extraversion 62
Agreeableness 59
Natural Reactions 30

(I did try to answer honestly.)

No fucking way am I that nice, let alone that extroverted or that open to new experiences.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Yes, men are trash. It is the truth. Men are indeed trash. Now, don’t come at me with your “Not All Men” bullshit. If you are a man and you think you are not trash, just jog on. However, it doesn’t change the fact that men are trash.
http://archive.is/ILrww

Yemmy is just too gorgeous for her own good. Men, the filthy trash that we are cannot contain ourselves in her presence. :drool:

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:Oh shit. I did a search and I can officially announce that I plan on sticking with my right hand which I have affectionately named "Rosie Palm".
This one?

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Yes, men are trash. It is the truth. Men are indeed trash. Now, don’t come at me with your “Not All Men” bullshit. If you are a man and you think you are not trash, just jog on. However, it doesn’t change the fact that men are trash.

Yemmy is just too gorgeous for her own good. Men, the filthy trash that we are cannot contain ourselves in her presence. :drool:
I love this comment:
chigau (違う) says
April 27, 2017 at 1:06 am
I cannot think of an argument against this.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

In her lovely piece Yemmy humblebrags, and I suspect, makes shit up. My guess is either she couldn't get a date or at least couldn't get a repeat date.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

She's a race traitor, actually. The street harasser on the bike told her so:
I am your African brother and you are feeling too big to talk to me.
You are African, this is how we do in Africa.
And how did she reply?
I told him if he thinks harassing a woman on the street is an African thing, he must have been raised by baboons
Whoa there! Holy racism, Batman! :shock:
Funny how this happened right on the high street and the mostly white population of Chelmsford, Essex were busy giving us space. I mean, it was like ‘Erm, two angry black people going at each other, one a visibly upset woman, the other a…well, black man, better give them space’. Race relations continue to baffle and amuse me, but as we are talking sexism, and sexism knows no race, I won’t let myself be distracted by the race interaction, for now.
But...intersectionality! Doesn't Yemmi realize that the oppressed black man was only expressing what the White Cis Hetero Patriarchy taught him? This stunning lack of empathy he shocked me so much I can't even.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I wonder whether PeeNus has been cracking the whip to try and get folks to post clickbait after seeing the continuing FfTB decline posted earlier.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I didn't know you were male.

Perhaps if your photo was from another angle it would be easier to tell.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote:

I love this comment:
chigau (違う) says
There's something about chigau's comments that sometimes make me think he's taking the piss.

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
But...intersectionality! Doesn't Yemmi realize that the oppressed black man was only expressing what the White Cis Hetero Patriarchy taught him? This stunning lack of empathy he shocked me so much I can't even.
Fortunately in the comments agender points out where brown skinned men learn to behave so badly:
3. NOW, two years after the big numbers of refugees coming, some of them begin to behave like this. When they were new here, they did NOT. Only after getting to know how womanhating German legislation is, they dare. In 2015 it was dialect-speaking or this bad-but-fluent Pseudogerman, with which trash-males had been threatening me since I was very young.

free thoughtpolice

chigua is a little old lady, you misgenderer.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh my...god.

Now, in fairness to Yummy Yemmy, if what she says is the truth (a necessary caveat when it comes to the comely and amply posterior'd poetess of the preposterous), then yes, it's quite understandable as to why she feels this way. She does have the unfortunate habit of attracting the creepozoid squad. However, this:
Funny how this happened right on the high street and the mostly white population of Chelmsford, Essex were busy giving us space. I mean, it was like ‘Erm, two angry black people going at each other, one a visibly upset woman, the other a…well, black man, better give them space’. Race relations continue to baffle and amuse me, but as we are talking sexism, and sexism knows no race, I won’t let myself be distracted by the race interaction, for now.
No, Yemmy. No. Believe me, this particular facet of British culture is not about race. Trust me when I say that I have observed plenty of public shouting matches between men and women of the caucasoid persuation, and neither I nor anyone else present felt it necessary to get involved. What it comes down to is that such displays are extremely embarrasing and really nothing to do with us and if they want to air their dirty laundry like that, then they ought to do it as guests on the Jeremy Kyle show, where they'll at least get a nice stay in a Premier Inn, as laid on by the studio. But it's not about race, Yemmy. Really, it isn't.
And while you are writhing in pain, I might as well just take down your pants and pepper spray your useless, good for nothing dick. Maybe then, you will begin to understand and experience just a fraction of the pain your constant street harassment cause women like me. Don’t you dare come at me bro because you might not have a dick left by the time I finish with you. Considering that your dick is the one thing you build your existence around, you will be as good as dead without it.
Gosh!

But not all men have dicks, Yemmy. Some even go so far as to sport a pair of tits and an ocarina of the ovaries. Tut - such trans erasure there.

Also Yemmy, you once wrote a poem about the sexiness of a tsunami which killed loads of people. Not that this excuses the treatment you have received on account of your irresistably beautiful body, of course, but it's always worth pointing out what a twat you are.

Men,
Men,
Beasts, ahem -
Don't touch me, sir
Don't speak to me,
Or say what you want to do,
With what I have,
Down there.

My ears,
Are like beatiful gears,
But you men will not adjust them,
You insolent bunch of baboons' rears.

Men,
Men,
Beasts, all men,
I want to burn your dicks,
Reduce them to ash,
And -

Ah fuck it, I can't be arsed. You know what I mean, anyways.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirbmarc wrote:
Fortunately in the comments agender points out where brown skinned men learn to behave so badly:
3. NOW, two years after the big numbers of refugees coming, some of them begin to behave like this. When they were new here, they did NOT. Only after getting to know how womanhating German legislation is, they dare. In 2015 it was dialect-speaking or this bad-but-fluent Pseudogerman, with which trash-males had been threatening me since I was very young.
It's certainly true that black culture in the USA always respects women and assigns a high priority to their feelings and making sure they're respected. :whistle:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirbmarc wrote:
:lol:

"Pseudogerman"

This the gift that keeps on giving.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Really? wrote:

I love this comment:
chigau (違う) says
For me, these words by Yemmi are the true gold:
I just moved to Chelmsford Essex and love taking walks to enjoy the beauty of the place. After living in London for many years, I thought I would enjoy the fusion of modern and countryside beauty of Chelmsford by taking walks to appreciate all it offers.
Clearly, she lives in a parallel universe where Essex is a tranquil paradise, and the rest of the world an amusement park for chavs.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Fortunately in the comments agender points out where brown skinned men learn to behave so badly:
If that were true- if!- would it not be an alternative hypothesis that they only dare speak their mind once they've got their permanent residence and know people are generally not prosecuted for being foul-mouthed?

Of course, we have legion accounts of incidents of refugees roaming the area of the refugee centre harassing women all they want.

Really?

Post by Really? »

dogen wrote:
For me, these words by Yemmi are the true gold:
I just moved to Chelmsford Essex and love taking walks to enjoy the beauty of the place. After living in London for many years, I thought I would enjoy the fusion of modern and countryside beauty of Chelmsford by taking walks to appreciate all it offers.
Clearly, she lives in a parallel universe where Essex is a tranquil paradise, and the rest of the world an amusement park for chavs.
In the 2001 census, Chelmsford was 96% white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelmsford#Demographics

It looks like the percentage is dropping, but the stats are hard to find.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Pages behind but:

Visual summary of your results
Openness to experience 61
Conscientiousness 45
Extraversion 29
Agreeableness 79
Natural reactions 10

Not sure I understand what this means though

John D

Post by John D »

feathers wrote:
This one?

[youtube][/youtube]
I was thinking of this song:

[youtube][/youtube]

Guest_41ce1912

Post by Guest_41ce1912 »

If you read this column as satire, it's a pretty funny condemnation of all of the cookie cutter anything Trump is bad media we've been getting. But a history of the author's past columns and tweets, and the comments to the article, all suggest it's not satire.
theguardian com/fashion/2017/apr/27/why-we-should-all-be-afraid-of-ivanka-trumps-mismatched-earrings

> Why we should all be afraid of Ivanka Trump's mismatched earrings

> When the first daughter wore an odd pair of earrings this week, she wasn’t trying to look on-trend – she was trying to make us think she was one of us

> Just when you’re thinking geopolitics can’t actually can’t get any more hostile to progressive values, Ivanka Trump weaponises the mismatched earring. Is nothing sacred? What next, Steve Bannon in a Cos long-sleeved T-shirt and Adidas Gazelles? Kellyanne Conway arriving for a weekend at Mar-a-Lago with a Daunts Bookshop tote bag?

> As a political statement, Ivanka’s earrings go beyond mere glamour. They go beyond dressing on-trend as a device to look in touch with the modern world. They go beyond, even, the ability of an eyecatching look to steer media focus away from Ivanka’s lead-balloon panel appearance earlier in the day, although they did this with aplomb. Statement earrings have always been a conversation piece, this being one of the reasons I love them and am currently obsessively stalking Dolce & Gabbana’s crystal-studded lobster earrings (£504), but Ivanka has taken this to a new level. Her earrings make Lynton Crosby’s “dead cat” manoeuvre look kittenish by comparison.

> But more insidious than all this is that the Picasso-asymmetry of mismatched earrings suggests an independent-minded, creative-thinking outlook, an identity Ivanka Trump deliberately flirts with. We should all be scared of Ivanka’s earrings, because they represent what makes her the most terrifying of all the Trump circle, which is her Bladerunner-replicant-like ability to make you believe – just for a second – that she is a bit like us. Remember when she wore a Hillary-esque white trousersuit to the inauguration, deliberately fuelling dangerous nonsense-talk that she is in some real sense a secret feminist?

Also from the author
The author is a fashion journalist. Should she be the one to tell us what feminist t-shirts and fashion is often about these days is turning feminism into a marketable hugely financially rewarded heavily commercialized brand? Guess not.

Guest_41ce1912

Post by Guest_41ce1912 »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Those fucking fat-shamers!!!
A crematory in Ohio caught fire while burning the remains of an "overly obese" body, according to the owner.

Don Catchen said the corpse caused flames to engulf one of his crematorium units in the city of Cincinnati.

The fat in the body burned at a higher temperature, prompting the blaze, said the city fire chief.

The blog Confessions of a Funeral Director describes a blaze resulting from the cremation of a morbidly obese person as a "grease fire".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Words fail me:

[youtube][/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I find the hype, or worry, about highly heritable intelligence difficult to follow, and assume I'm missing somehing. But lots of people get nature-nurture wrong, and seem to read anything into such numbers. But not so fast.

Suppose intelligence was heritable by 75%. What does it mean? A child to average parents (IQ 100) that receives no beneficial “education” at all (let's define it as the sum of all cultural, parental, social activities that increases intelligence somehow) would be a bit less bright, by some number (such tests have many non-intuitive features built in). Fine. Genius parents have kids that at least aren't imbeciles. Fine. The whole thing is even less clear considering that these numbers are hard to grasp, have a standard deviation of 15 points, and also include the Flynn Effect, plus an age factor. The Flynn Effect alone is about 3 points per decade. An average person from the 1930 would today score merely 80 points, but nobody suggests the genes improved somehow.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Most people from the 1930s would score much lower than 80 today.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

From the big W:

Nye began his career as a mechanical engineer for Boeing Corporation in Seattle, where he invented a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube used on 747 airplanes. In 1986, Nye left Boeing to pursue comedy, writing and performing jokes ...

Nye announced his engagement during an appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and was married to his fiancée of five months, musician Blair Tindall, on February 3, 2006. The ceremony was performed by Rick Warren at The Entertainment Gathering at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. Yo-Yo Ma provided the music. Nye left the relationship seven weeks later when the marriage license was declared invalid. In 2007, Nye received a protective order against Tindall after an incident in which she came onto his property and used herbicide to damage his garden

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

But Rosie, you're all right
(You wear my ring)
When you hold me tight
(Rosie, that's my thing)
When you turn out the light
(I got to hand it to me)
Looks like it's me and you again tonight, Rosie

[youtube][/youtube]