Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: As Marine Le Pen is calling for a frexit from the EU, is she laying a French drain?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tePipe.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Spike13 wrote:
Sulman wrote:How long 'til she's back in NJ?

HEY OOH HEY!, there's about 46 other states that can have that bitch before it's our turn again.
Just glad she doesn't appear to have decided to join all the other loons in the Seattle area...

Which, BTW, is becoming crazy expensive too. Even very well paid people at Amazon are finding it hard to buy - if you have any contingencies in an offer you make on a property, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye.

Aneris

Nothing to Worry About.

Post by Aneris »

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu4MTT ... /giphy.gif

I expressed exasperation that actual Neo Nazism, or Far Right get a fair hearing and fair sharing (Reichsbürger, Daily Stormer) among so-called Skeptics™ and Rationals™, and that this bothers nobody. I learned: It does bother nobody.

I never hold grudges for long, and have no problem with Kirbmarc, either. He wrote many good things, and the "discussion" does not change it. My views, however, have not changed at all. I believe this is a problem, and it will continue to bother me. Other lesson learned: this topic does not belong on the Slymepit. I will not bring it up ever again.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Re: Nothing to Worry About.

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Aneris wrote:https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu4MTT ... /giphy.gif

I expressed exasperation that actual Neo Nazism, or Far Right get a fair hearing and fair sharing (Reichsbürger, Daily Stormer) among so-called Skeptics™ and Rationals™, and that this bothers nobody. I learned: It does bother nobody.

I never hold grudges for long, and have no problem with Kirbmarc, either. He wrote many good things, and the "discussion" does not change it. My views, however, have not changed at all. I believe this is a problem, and it will continue to bother me. Other lesson learned: this topic does not belong on the Slymepit. I will not bring it up ever again.
Even far-right material may be right about some things. Dismissing anything because it comes from a source you dislike is hardly skeptical. Your hypocritical stance in drawing shades of grey on the left and lumping the entire alt-right together hasn't been addressed either.

But hey, go back to name-calling and behaving like a spoiled child having a tantrum.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lsuoma wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
Sulman wrote:How long 'til she's back in NJ?

HEY OOH HEY!, there's about 46 other states that can have that bitch before it's our turn again.
Just glad she doesn't appear to have decided to join all the other loons in the Seattle area...

Which, BTW, is becoming crazy expensive too. Even very well paid people at Amazon are finding it hard to buy - if you have any contingencies in an offer you make on a property, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye.

She used to live in Seattle when she was a hippy and an 'activist' .. possibly the most active she's ever been.

FFW to 09:22

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote:
John D wrote:

...I really should read the Gulag Archipelago at some point...
I have it, but not read yet. Cancer Ward was superb but very, very bleak.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu4MTT ... /giphy.gif

Actually the Daily Stormer thing DOES bother me, now that I've realized what you were talking about and checked the context. It doesn't bother me as in a "oh my god, the nazis are among us!" fashion, but it does bother me since Dave didn't properly qualified the real information he got from there (that a professor argued that a change in the ethnic background of Ireland is imminent and a good thing, which is arguable) to tell it apart from the spin ("OMG white genocide, they're going to replace us all!").

I apologize for my lack of checking, but I'd have checked it earlier if you hadn't been so keen on selling your point about "laying the pipes for nazism" and the Reichsburger livestream (where the guy wasn't allowed to spread his message) or hadn't turned the discussion personal with the "in service of neo-nazi agenda" and instead of offering a confused and conspiracy-looking list of separated items, or a video with a talking cat pushing together several different events had chosen a more somber and calculated approach to the lack of skepticism towards questionable sources.

We're both at fault there: I let your attack get the better of my skepticism, and you've attacked instead of presenting your case. Please understand that people react badly when you accuse them of being what they're not, even if you believe that you can understand secret meanings and "dog whistling" (itself a bad choice for an argument since it's same argument that the A-plussers made).
I believe this is a problem but more in terms of a lack of skepticism in certain people than in the terms of "never giving a platform to certain people because they don't deserve it". It's important to hear what everyone has to say, but you shouldn't simply "Listen and Believe" to anyone, and yes, some people aren't just not trustworthy but also ill-intentioned.

Anyway I don't hold any grudges, and after this last clarification I'm happy to lay this conversation to rest. Let's move on.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I don't mind putting words in John D's mouth.

But there's no need. Someone else can do it for me...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Yes - no need for ill feeling on anyone's part - it's not like we have posters from the Netherlands

[youtube][/youtube]

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Tigzy wrote:
DrokkIt wrote: Like, is there a way of encouraging the stormer to attack Harris???
I think Sam Harris might be (((Sam Harris))) so I figure the Stormer would probably need little in the way of encouragement.
Christopher Hitchens was also (((Christopher Hitchens))) as he explains in his memoir. No wonder New Atheism is so uncomfortable with الجهاد العالمي

[emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Aneris wrote: I learned: It does bother nobody.
I would say it bothers me enough to have agreed with some of the points you made, and I offered some supporting evidence for those points...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

d4m10n wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
DrokkIt wrote: Like, is there a way of encouraging the stormer to attack Harris???
I think Sam Harris might be (((Sam Harris))) so I figure the Stormer would probably need little in the way of encouragement.
Christopher Hitchens was also (((Christopher Hitchens))) as he explains in his memoir. No wonder New Atheism is so uncomfortable with الجهاد العالمي

[emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I'd day that as atheists they're already potential targets, even without any parenthesis. But yes, parenthesis-hatred is not uncommon among الجهادية (I'd say that it's quote common among الأمة الإسلامية‎‎ in general...but that's just because I'm a dirty, untrustworthy مرتد, right?).

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:Once McWrong had defined the ideology - Myers took the little red book of 'A+theism' and ran with it - using it to define the ingroup and outgroup - and treat anyone who was not following his dictates (eg Silverman going to CPAC) as a non-person.

He's got not excuse to behave like an arsehole - but it certainly suits his temperament.
I don't know about Silverman, but I remember Jamila Bey going to CPAC only to be burned to the ground by the baboons.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:Everyone is mean to me when you're not here...
No we're not, you Scottish baw.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

feathers wrote: I don't know about Silverman, but I remember Jamila Bey going to CPAC only to be burned to the ground by the baboons.
My bias is showing.

There's an old joke about a policeman encountering a dead horse in Karangahape Road and then dragging it round the corner into Pitt St because it was easier to spell.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
John D wrote:
It is certainly clear that PZ needs some kind of morals. He really has no morals currently.
PZ has morals, but they're derived from the vacuous ambient cant (a good rock band name) he gets from the SJW mileu. Ultimately that is as useless as Christian morals or Satanic morals, or any other dogmatic system. If you're not THINKING about what is right and wrong, you're doing it wrong.
PZ has morals, and if you don't like them... he has others you don't like.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:Scented - All of the pitters are getting very low amiability scores. Mine was a 6.
As Gunnery Sergeant Hartman puts it, "You will hate me, but the more you hate me, the more you will learn".

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote:I had no idea what a geoduck was and probably shouldn't have googled it.
And it's pronounced gooey-duck, BTW.
Yes, thank you for adding this plasticity Great Leader.

:bjarte:

CaptainFluffyBunny

It bothered me during GamerGate that the only outlet publishing the truth was Breitbart, but there it was. I didn't become a fan, or a right-winger, but they were publishing the truth about GamerGate in a sea of lies. You dismiss something out of hand because you don't like the source, you are going to miss some things. Nor does admitting an otherwise repugnant organization or news source may be right about something mean that you agree to the rest of their agenda. Suggesting otherwise is dishonest and a smear tactic.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Scented Nectar wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:I don't recall this being posted, Tony the Shoop wrotea poem on punching Nazis.

” ‘Fair’, you would ask, you foul
scented ass?!
What fairness have you shown
to our kind?”

Hey you all! Just dropped by to do a vanity search on the undead thread for "scented", even though you've probably forgotten me by now *sniff*, and this poem keeps tripping me up, lol. Good god! Why do people write these things called "poems"? I don't understand it. :lol:

Speaking of which, I took that personality test that one of you posted at the top of one of the pages which asked me if I liked poems (I glance at the top sometimes to see what's up), and I seem to have scored very low on the amiability part. They seem to think that if you argue with others, even though you are compassionate and empathic about other people's feelings and the homeless etc, that you must be arguing about the wrong things.

Maybe people who hate poems, don't see why people get emotional, and don't understand abstract ideas, must be meanies and nazis.

Also, they probably strongly weight the 2 questions regarding traditional vs progressive politics in a biased way, such as subtracting points from amiability etc.

Also, I should have gotten a great score on work ethic, but they gave me a midrange one. Lying liars.

AM I THAT MUCH OF A CUNT TO ONLY SCORE A 3 ON AMIABILITY??? You fuckers better answer honestly, or I'll fuck your shit up!!! :x :x :x :x :x

Lol, please make sure 'scented' is somewhere in your reply. I look forward to your answers. All the best, love your old pal Scented Nectar. :romance-grouphug:
Still playing No Man's Sky? Did you get to the center?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:Phil the Greek's top kek comments:
[snip]
Phil the Dane sounds like a highly enjoyable fellow. Now he's got more spare time, maybe he could join the Slymepit?

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:I don't mind putting words in John D's mouth.

But there's no need. Someone else can do it for me...
Haha... yeah... a quote fail is claiming that I have read Gulag Archipelago. The truth is that I just bought it and I am only 20 pages in. So far I have to say that the writing is fantastic. Clever and rich but not over-blown. It's about 500 pages so it will take some time.

My son-in-law told me he found the audio version on youtube so I think it is probably easily found. I was considering getting an MP3 audio version but it is really expensive.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Anyone like to conjecture why the explosion proceeds slowly at first (until the cover is a foot or so off the ground), and then goes quickly?
snip some off-topic shit about pipelaying

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:It was ironic that APlus was a failure among justice warriors from day one.
Still, a few of them slipped into the FTB/Orbit like an opportunistic infection. Great American Satan and Ania Bulimia (or so) jump to mind.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha... actually the quote fail didn't claim I have read it... it claims I want to read it. So... really, it is correct. Thanks DroKit for put accurate words in my mouth!

CaptainFluffyBunny

dogen wrote:
Anyone like to conjecture why the explosion proceeds slowly at first (until the cover is a foot or so off the ground), and then goes quickly?
snip some off-topic shit about pipelaying
There's two explosions, a minor one that lifts the cover, and a larger one as the source underground is fed by fresh air,

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:Yes - no need for ill feeling on anyone's part - it's not like we have posters from the Netherlands
Exactly!

Wait a second...

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

feathers wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrsZLXBCYAEDWJT.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

The latest SyeTen is up!

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:It bothered me during GamerGate that the only outlet publishing the truth was Breitbart, but there it was. I didn't become a fan, or a right-winger, but they were publishing the truth about GamerGate in a sea of lies. You dismiss something out of hand because you don't like the source, you are going to miss some things. Nor does admitting an otherwise repugnant organization or news source may be right about something mean that you agree to the rest of their agenda. Suggesting otherwise is dishonest and a smear tactic.
Were there any mainstream outlets publishing the truth about the Schism and what the lying liars said about the Shermer accusation, the Radford accusation, Dawkins' tweets, etc? I don't recall any. Just bullshit after bullshit about how Beckybooze was just trying to give men advice to help them get laid, and then the misogynist atheists put down their burritos, wheezed as they climbed up the basement stairs and left their mother's house for the first time in years to terrorize a female scientist.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:It bothered me during GamerGate that the only outlet publishing the truth was Breitbart, but there it was. I didn't become a fan, or a right-winger, but they were publishing the truth about GamerGate in a sea of lies. You dismiss something out of hand because you don't like the source, you are going to miss some things. Nor does admitting an otherwise repugnant organization or news source may be right about something mean that you agree to the rest of their agenda. Suggesting otherwise is dishonest and a smear tactic.
This is true and I agree that the argument that you should dismiss some publications out of hand sounds hollow. Hence why I criticized it.

However in the case of Dave Computing Forever and the Daily Stormer there's an issue of skepticism. This is the video in question:

[youtube][/youtube]

The part about the Daily Stormer starts about 43:02. Now, it's within a context that suggests that the Daily Stormer might be reliable not in only in reporting the news (which is based on real stats) but on its "white genocide" spin. Or at least Dave didn't point out that there were other, more reliable sources to find the same information, without the white supremacist spin. Also neither he nor others in the stream contradict the stream.

I'm not accusing Dave or others who are in the stream of being Daily Stormer sympathizers, but still, it's bad form and different from simply saying "hey, this time they got it right".

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Aneris, Kirbmarc: shut the fuck up and kiss.

:angry-boxing:
:romance-adore:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Aneris, Kirbmarc: shut the fuck up and kiss.

Pics or it didn't happen. :popcorn:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Really? wrote:
Were there any mainstream outlets publishing the truth about the Schism and what the lying liars said about the Shermer accusation, the Radford accusation, Dawkins' tweets, etc? I don't recall any. Just bullshit after bullshit about how Beckybooze was just trying to give men advice to help them get laid, and then the misogynist atheists put down their burritos, wheezed as they climbed up the basement stairs and left their mother's house for the first time in years to terrorize a female scientist.
Gamergate was just the whole thing writ large, really. I think SJWs made it to the proverbial gates of Moscow, but started fighting each other so much everyone noticed how toxic the whole thing is.

Myers is a joke. A pathetic, angry little man hammering away at his keyboard to take his mind off the numbing mediocrity of his career.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vT462ns9mZQ/hqdefault.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Bhurzum wrote:The latest SyeTen is up!

[youtube][/youtube]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like how, in his conversations with assorted SJW types, the isis jihadi comes across as the voice of comparative reason and sense.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

feathers wrote:
What's this? Seems he was right. :naughty:

Unless, wait a minute... what's a baw? Ok, Urban Dictionary tells me that's a Scottish testicle. So, I'm still unsure if that's an insult.

:think: Unsure whether or not to white knight here.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Scented Nectar wrote:What's this? Seems he was right. :naughty:

Unless, wait a minute... what's a baw? Ok, Urban Dictionary tells me that's a Scottish testicle. So, I'm still unsure if that's an insult.

She took her vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe she sought—
So rested she by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought she stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
She left it dead, and with its head
She went galumphing back.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:The latest SyeTen is up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like how, in his conversations with assorted SJW types, the isis jihadi comes across as the voice of comparative reason and sense.
Yeah, that's so great :lol:

I also like the sing-song voice he affects when he leads them to conclusions, like he's talking to a circle of 5-year-olds.

Which is the same way Stephanie Zvan talks to an audience of SJWs. I still don't know how it hasn't offended anyone enough to throw a bottle at her head.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

dogen wrote:Still playing No Man's Sky? Did you get to the center?
No. I quit after 581 hours. There wasn't the same storylines after the change (shortly before release) from whatever the original ones were supposed to be. And the focus turned towards making bases, taking orders from aliens to go get them minerals, getting freighters, and boring stuff like that. Maybe I should have stuck it out to get to the center, but once it fully sunk in (not until 581 hours) that I was now playing some Sony-approved new storyline, that killed it for me. Those politically correct fuckers probably took out something great and replaced it with a lack-of-storyline with a wavering focus.

The storyline is kind of like talking with a SJW. They burp up a word of this and that and it's all disconnected and all over the place. Maybe there's still secrets to unravel, but I'm not going to trust that, since it's not the same storyline that Sean hinted at before it got replaced. Any secrets at this point would probably just be a SJW moral lesson anyways.

free thoughtpolice

[youtube][/youtube]
Well that's odd. The first time I tried it didn't embed yet it did the 2nd time even though I repeated the same thing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Yeah, shut the kiss up and fuck!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Aneris wrote:I expressed exasperation that actual Neo Nazism, or Far Right get a fair hearing and fair sharing (Reichsbürger, Daily Stormer) among so-called Skeptics™
.... My views, however, have not changed at all.
Aneris performed an Antifa Shitfit Dance, because Sargon's crew gave a speech platform to someone with weird opinions & jokes.

Aneris blocked replies, refusing to hear other perspectives, or admit error when fact-checked.

All this is squarely on-topic for the Pit & relevant to the political climate worldwide.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Bhurzum wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:What's this? Seems he was right. :naughty:

She took her vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe she sought—
So rested she by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought she stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
She left it dead, and with its head
She went galumphing back.
I should galumph more often - been sitting at the computer too much. :dance:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Aneris wrote:I expressed exasperation that actual Neo Nazism, or Far Right get a fair hearing and fair sharing (Reichsbürger, Daily Stormer) among so-called Skeptics™
.... My views, however, have not changed at all.
Aneris performed an Antifa Shitfit Dance, because Sargon's crew gave a speech platform to someone with weird opinions & jokes.

Aneris blocked replies, refusing to hear other perspectives, or admit error when fact-checked.

All this is squarely on-topic for the Pit & relevant to the political climate worldwide.
RIght! All three of you a mandatory extra hour together in the ball pit.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:[.img]https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu4MTT ... /giphy.gif[/img]

Seems like a perfectly reasonable topic of discussion to me - even if some people tend to let their biases get in the way of their rationality & skepticism ... ;-)

And you might note, apropos of which, that many on the right, even some that one (or some) wouldn't normally think capable of it, are pushing back against the "crazies" in their camp:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Not on ServiceDog's watch...

[.img]http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/upload ... uirrel.gif[/img]

...or so he thought.
Big :lol:

CaptainFluffyBunny

https://areomagazine.com/2017/05/03/who ... lence/amp/
I can't recall if this has been posted already or not. Worth a read, IMHO.

free thoughtpolice

Steersman wrote:
Aneris wrote:[.img]https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu4MTT ... /giphy.gif[/img]

Seems like a perfectly reasonable topic of discussion to me - even if some people tend to let their biases get in the way of their rationality & skepticism ... ;-)

And you might note, apropos of which, that many on the right, even some that one (or some) wouldn't normally think capable of it, are pushing back against the "crazies" in their camp:
FFS Steers, PJW and his boss Alex Jones are the right wing crazies and they are in media. :doh:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>

And then put that in the YouTube brackets like:

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKX9wTI8Gpg[/youtube]
And then, Bob's your uncle:

[.youtube][/youtube]

Impressive video though.
Steers, you've taken on the traditional, ancient, teaching of SlymePit youtube embedding. I'm proud of you, son. When I abandoned the post, I felt a bit bad, but I see now that everything's going to be alright. :)
Why, thank you, m'am. Proud to carry on the tradition, the torch that you did with such honour and distinction for so many years. :clap: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-salute: :flags-canada: :-)

But, in other news, I wonder, were you following at all the kerfuffle in Parliament on Trudeau's misguided if not totally deluded motion (#M103) on "islamophobia"? ICYMI, or as a point of reference, a National Post article by Barbara Kay:
Kay wrote:Barbara Kay: Actually, one needn’t be a hysterical bigot to have concerns with M-103

I have serious concerns about M-103, a private member’s motion currently before Parliament that would condemn Islamophobia. But I want to reassure my colleague Andrew Coyne that I’m not nearly as unhinged as he seems to think we critics are.

Here is what Andrew wrote of the critics in his recent column on M-103: they’re a “most extreme voice” on “a most extreme position,” flaunting “a kind of moral exhibitionism” and “populist virtue-signaling,” with the purpose of “say(ing) and do(ing) the most intolerant or ill-considered thing that comes to mind.” Further, they’re “whip(ping)” up a “hysteria campaign.”

The case against M-103 is actually much simpler, and one need not be hysterical to make it. M-103 is troubling for its lack of definition and in particular to its deference to language in petition E-411, which M-103 cites as its raison d’étre, to wit: “Recently an infinitesimally small number of extremist individuals have conducted terrorist activities while claiming to speak for the religion of Islam… These violent individuals do not reflect in any way the values or the teachings of the religion of Islam. In fact, they misrepresent the religion. We categorically reject all their activities. They in no way represent the religion, the beliefs and the desire of Muslims to co-exist in peace with all peoples of the world.”

I’m gratified the petition writer — Liberal MP Iqra Khalid? An Islamic advocacy group? The PMO? — rejects jihadism as un-Islamic, but phrases like “do not reflect in any way” and “misrepresent the religion” are an opinion, not the immutable fact implied by the language and tone. These words are clearly meant as a directive to Canadians concerning the “correct” opinions we are to adopt. The unspoken but very real message is that it would be Islamophobic to think otherwise. One needn’t be a conspiracy theorist to see the thin end of an elephant-sized speech-chilling wedge here. Because the thin edge has morphed into a fat edge elsewhere in the West. ....

I do not wish to be told by a petition or by the recommendations of a study based on that petition what I must think — or say in a considered and thoughtful way — about any ideology or belief system in deference to the sensibilities of a specific group in order to earn a seal of non-Islamophobic approval from agenda-driven advocacy groups and their political allies.

I greatly admire Andrew Coyne for his exegetical brilliance in the hermeneutics of electoral reform, but on the subject of creeping Shariah-based blasphemy laws across the Western world, it grieves me to say that he has revealed himself as an authority of rather lesser stature.
Rather nicely pointed and sardonic shot at Coyne to close. But a real serious problem - "the Muslim problem" - that all too many want to sweep under the carpet - and I don't think there's a carpet that's big enough to hide the rather mephitic mess of it. And something from another Barbara - Amiel - on the topic:
Islamists won’t kill free speech—we will
‘In my view there is no media outlet in Canada brave enough to allow a full and proper discussion of Islam’
Barbara Amiel

It is difficult not to be intemperate in the face of nine murdered journalists, two murdered policemen and a janitor, lying in pools of blood in Paris, the City of Lights: the cold, calculated killing spree a response to journalism that was displeasing. ....

The West has been ready to give up on itself for some time now. We have no idea of what we stand for and seem to have no faith other than lip-service in the superiority of our institutions. If 9/11 can somehow be made to feel like partly the fault of America, then change foreign policy or administrations and the problem will go away. If young Islamic terrorists are created by feelings of “alienation” then the problem will be solved by getting them to like us. It’s so comforting. Fundamentalist Islam is on the march and all we can do is worry about giving offence. When the blood of journalists can only be expunged by denying other journalists the right to say or show what they died for, we are hemorrhaging freedom. I have no children but some coming generation will pay the price for their parents’ cowardice.
Yeah. Indeed. Mecca, nukes, etc. There's another great post by ex-Muslim woman - Anjuli Pandavar - over at, somewhat surprisingly, FreeThought Blogs which more or less underlines the fact that Islam is fundamentally antithetical to the bedrock principles of democracy and Western concepts of human rights:
Pandavar wrote:The UDHR and the CDHRI: Their Ideals and Ours
It is one of the enduring myths of the great liberal delusion that all people aspire to the same values as the values of the Enlightenment. Our ideals, flowing from the Enlightenment, include universal Human Rights and equality for all. So firmly is this ideal built into our psyche that we measure our societal worth by our insistence on pursuing this ideal without exception (barring exceptions, of course). It should not be necessary to point out that these are my ideals, too. I may further add that I hold these ideals to be superior to anything else humanity has hitherto devised.

It is, however, inescapable that Human Rights and equality for all are not ideals that all people share. What is more, significant sections of humanity are actively opposed to them. Indeed, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the ideal of equality for all human beings are so strongly opposed by so many, that no fewer than 45 states signed the Cairo Declaration of Human Rights in Islam (CDHRI), adopted in 1990, expressly to challenge the universality of the UDHR, and specifically its applicability to Muslims, and to instead safeguard the pre-mediaeval and inhuman Shari’a as the framework for human relations and interactions. It is neither a slight nor an insult to say that Muslims do not hold to the UDHR as an ideal, on the contrary, it is an affirmation. ....
Time to #BanIslam, close the borders, deport the effen lot. As Anne Marie Waters succinctly put it:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
[.tweet][/tweet]
FFS Steers, PJW and his boss Alex Jones are the right wing crazies and they are in media. :doh:
All kind of relative, isn't it? Wouldn't you say that Daily Stormer and their ilk are clearly worse, further to the right, than Watson? You might give some serious thought to a recent and rather sensible argument and comment from CaptainFluffyBunny:
CFB wrote:Even far-right material may be right about some things. Dismissing anything because it comes from a source you dislike is hardly skeptical.
Indeed.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Thanks to 20th and 21st century technology modern theocracies have far greater power over their citizens than historical theocracies.

Reform simply isn't possible without the support of outside secular forces. Shutting the borders and telling the Winston Smiths of the world "hey good luck with that Big Brother problem but otherwise fuck you with the rest of them" is consigning them to failure and death.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Having heard all the Thaddeus Russell appearances on School Sucks podcast,
I listened to his most recent appearance on Joe Rogan,
and now Thaddeus Russell's own podcast, Unregistered.

Thad is most appealing on School Sucks, where his ideas are fresh air in a room full of recycled Libertarian hot air.

On Joe Rogan, it's interesting to see how Thad tries to explain his ideas to a regular joe. Joe asks all the right questions. Thad talks circles around Joe. Joe refuses to nod-along when he doesnt believes Thad's intellectual absurdities. But Joe doesnt push-back, if Joe doesnt have the ammo to refute Thad. --Which is great, because a poorly-formed rebuttal from Joe would let Thad win & make him look correct. Better for Joe to expose the holes, let Thad have the last word, & leave it to someone qualified-- to settle the issues, later.

Russell's own podcast provides qualified opponents. Episodes begin plodding-- Russell makes the mistake of going in-depth about his guests' childhoods, before giving listeners enough exposure to who the guests are now-- so we can see why their formative years matter.

In episode 3, Thad tries to tell Kmele Foster, a black libertarian-- who rejects being labelled 'black'-- that Kmele is post-modern. Kmele says that's outside his wheelhouse, Kmele prefers Ayn Rand's Objectivism. Thad po-mo-splains that Kmele is post-modern​, but Kmele just arrived at po-mo entirely on his own, with no po-mo influence. Bullshit! What it really means-- is the things Thad credits as a product of post-modernist traditions arent their product. You dont need to be po-mo to get the good parts of po-mo.

In episode on Michael Malice is sharp tongued & doesn't let Thad get-away with anything.

free thoughtpolice

Steersman wrote:
All kind of relative, isn't it? Wouldn't you say that Daily Stormer and their ilk are clearly worse, further to the right, than Watson? You might give some serious thought to a recent and rather sensible argument and comment from CaptainFluffyBunny:
Ok, I'll try phrasing it in Steerspeak:
Just because a stopped clock is right twice a day doesn't mean it is functional.
Watson and Jones are crazies and just because there are people even crazier than them that doesn't make them sane and they are in the media. This completely contradicts Watson's statement that infers that there are loony left in media but not loony right.
You seem to have missed the point again.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:But, in other news, I wonder, were you following at all the kerfuffle in Parliament on Trudeau's misguided if not totally deluded motion (#M103) on "islamophobia"?
I'm not happy with it. Mind you, it would be a fun one to fight in court. What constitutes a phobia? Etc. :)

I bought this shirt, and while it's legal for me to own it, it's not legal to wear it outdoors as it could be considered "incitement" and if so, it would not be covered under any of the 4 exemptions to the "hate" crime section of our criminal code:

https://vangogh.teespring.com/v3/image/ ... 80/560.jpg
https://teespring.com/shop/refugee-repe ... &sid=front

Lol, it's indoor-wear-only. Pajamas more or less. I can't even answer the door for deliveries in it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Scented Nectar wrote:Hey you all! Just dropped by to do a vanity search on the undead thread for "scented", even though you've probably forgotten me by now *sniff*, and this poem keeps tripping me up, lol. Good god! Why do people write these things called "poems"? I don't understand it. :lol:
The Pit Crew never forgets its brave heroes.

Good to hear from you again.

PS - Are you the only one left playing No Man's Sky. :lol:

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Why were there no English northerners in "Manchester by the sea" ?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

free thoughtpolice wrote:FFS Steers, PJW and his boss Alex Jones are the right wing crazies and they are in media. :doh:
True, but they are not taken seriously by the mainstream. PJW goes bananas quite often, but his tweet there is pretty good. The left's po-mo cultural relativism infects academia (it runs academia, one could argue), much of a MSM, and most of the online media. A lot of western politics became infected by it, and we see as a result, a return of right-wing populist parties doing well in Europe.