Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Kirbmarc »

[quote="DrokkIt]Sure he's an old trot. I don't think Labour is infested with his like, considering it's pulling itself apart trying to resist the few marxists who have any sway in it. Nobody in Labour is trying to bring about communism and the accusation is as lazy and stupid as calling the Conservatives fascists because a few of their mps have far-right tendencies.

I don't like the flappy reactionary-ism of crying about nazis and I am simply applying the same logic here.[/quote]

Fascism and marxism are both functionally dead. Only a few old coots and idiotic nostalgics are still waving those flags.

We're in 2017, not 1917 or 1933. There are new issues now, like corporate politics or the rise of the EU or the issues with islam or the failure of the Po-mo left or the rise of right and left wing populism. Using outdated definitions isn't helping anyone.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote:One of the Migos rappers wore his 8-ball jacket on Jimmy Kimmel... & backstage at the Met Gala last week-- the biggest red carpet event in high fashion-- & the same event as the trendsetting bald supermodel posted above.

http://hw-static.worldstarhiphop.com/u/ ... ehPMpq.jpg

What a slap in the face, to the subway cunt! :rimshot:
HAHAHA! That's sweet, indeed :dance:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote:Amy made a 'tardigrade.

http://imgur.com/yy9szqN.jpg

What is the inspiration for this little beast? It doesn't look much like a water bear. But it does look like something she'd see at a Skepchick party, circa 2008.

http://imgur.com/ELLX1e0.jpg
Amy's version is a retardigrade.

NB: the tardigrade was recently featured on Bill Nye Destroys The World. Surely just coincidence that Amy;s fertile mind cam up with this.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

THIS is fucking hi-larious. An absolute masterpiece. Flagged by Sargon in one of his recent. Unfortunately too big to post as an actual image:-

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 95/d96.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

https://web.archive.org/web/20170508135 ... of-aliens/

Myers will have the privilege of writing his own epitaph (not a death threat):

"...but I am compelled to judge"

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

gurugeorge wrote:THIS is fucking hi-larious. An absolute masterpiece. Flagged by Sargon in one of his recent. Unfortunately too big to post as an actual image:-
Damn you. Why did you link to that. You just turned me into a double-nazi!

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Sure he's an old trot. I don't think Labour is infested with his like, considering it's pulling itself apart trying to resist the few marxists who have any sway in it. Nobody in Labour is trying to bring about communism and the accusation is as lazy and stupid as calling the Conservatives fascists because a few of their mps have far-right tendencies.

I don't like the flappy reactionary-ism of crying about nazis and I am simply applying the same logic here.
Fascism and marxism are both functionally dead. Only a few old coots and idiotic nostalgics are still waving those flags.

We're in 2017, not 1917 or 1933. There are new issues now, like corporate politics or the rise of the EU or the issues with islam or the failure of the Po-mo left or the rise of right and left wing populism. Using outdated definitions isn't helping anyone.
This is quite my point- McDonnell is an old coot who is where he is because he's played the political game long enough an waited his chance. Not because Labour is about to announce a radical communist direction.
Furthermore, attacking Labour as being overtly marxist does rather play into ignoring the problems you point out as being rather more relevant now- corporatism. EU centrism, far right populism.

In my view the cons are going to crush this election, and it does us (sceptical, liberal brits) a lot better to stop worrying about comrade Corbyn and prepare for what post-EU Toryism is going to be like when we don't get a favourable trade deal and our hospitals begin to fully shut down.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Something funny I read about the French elections:
- Feminists voted AGAINST the sole woman
- Communists voted FOR the sole banker
Makes you think, hey?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

deLurch wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:THIS is fucking hi-larious. An absolute masterpiece. Flagged by Sargon in one of his recent. Unfortunately too big to post as an actual image:-
The carpet matches the drapes?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Sure he's an old trot. I don't think Labour is infested with his like, considering it's pulling itself apart trying to resist the few marxists who have any sway in it. Nobody in Labour is trying to bring about communism and the accusation is as lazy and stupid as calling the Conservatives fascists because a few of their mps have far-right tendencies.

I don't like the flappy reactionary-ism of crying about nazis and I am simply applying the same logic here.

This is quite my point- McDonnell is an old coot who is where he is because he's played the political game long enough an waited his chance. Not because Labour is about to announce a radical communist direction.
Furthermore, attacking Labour as being overtly marxist does rather play into ignoring the problems you point out as being rather more relevant now- corporatism. EU centrism, far right populism.

In my view the cons are going to crush this election, and it does us (sceptical, liberal brits) a lot better to stop worrying about comrade Corbyn and prepare for what post-EU Toryism is going to be like when we don't get a favourable trade deal and our hospitals begin to fully shut down.
Yup. And I think that what some people are missing is that the issues with corporate politics are one of the reasons which led to the rise of populism, and more years of corporate politics aren't going to fix those issues.

We need an anti-corporate, anti-identitaria, truly secular left which doesn't give islam a pass because the right wing identitarians exist.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Something funny I read about the French elections:
Makes you think, hey?
Feminism is a sham, all the commies are dead or idiots. The election was between international corporate politics and nationalistic right-wing populism.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Makes you think, hey?
We all know the reason. Ideology trumps their stated and promoted identity pecking order.

If their stated values stood, they would be complaining that Le Penn lost due to misogyny.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

deLurch wrote:
Makes you think, hey?
We all know the reason. Ideology trumps their stated and promoted identity pecking order.

If their stated values stood, they would be complaining that Le Penn lost due to misogyny.
Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think I've seen anything similar to the Hillary campaign regarding Le Pen when it comes to what's between her legs.

Now, nobody get me wrong. Although I think both candidates were piles of shite, I believe Macron is the best choice...for now.

We have to see how it goes and if he indeed will be a repeat of Hollande, or if he's going to be different in any way. As far as I'm concerned, in my everyday life (i.e: the one with me having a Polish wife working in Monaco), I am happy Le pen didn't win. At least if she intended to put into action what she was promising.

I, as always, remain hopeful a politician might do their job efficiently.*

*LOL :lol:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MTV are boasting about their gender feee awards:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... wards.html

So how long before gender free awards become the norm, then someone counts up who's been winning, decides they are unfair, and that women need their own awards?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

deLurch wrote:
Makes you think, hey?

We'll be reelecting - that is, electing properly - our second female PM in the UK next month. She currently has the highest approval ratings of any PM for 40 years. Just goes to show, you don't need feminism to succeed, you just need Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the opposition.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Keating wrote: I have serious doubts about universal basic income being a solution. I think a large number of people get meaning by having a job. It is a necessary duty that forces people to wake up and do a basic amount of "sorting yourself out" in Peterson language. Taking that away and giving people free money will, I think, lead to a huge increase in mental health problems and serious social problems as people use the money to try and generate meaning, but then find they can't feed themselves at the end of the month. If we're not prepared to let people starve now, that'll mean that many social programs will need to be reinstated to prevent death, which will collapse the system under costs. Not hopefully that UBI can work.
Interestingly enough Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld once ran a UBI experiment. They found the men worked an average of one less hour a week. Women, being forced by the patriarchy to conform to harmful gender stereotypes, preferred to spend time with their children and worked 5 less hours a week.

The data isn't solid enough for me to be very confident one way or another, but I have an optimistic view of basic human psychology. We enjoy working. I'm as lazy as they come but give me a month with nothing to do but play video games and by week two I'll be begging you to let me go weed a garden or something. I think you'd wind up with a lot of people working "jobs" like painting or growing local produce that wouldn't generate enough income to be sustainable without UBI.

The second problem is more serious, and not limited to people dying in the streets. Are we willing to enact involuntary sterilization for people who keep cranking out children and piss away what should be their grocery money? I mean, I am. That's a hard sell though.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

John D wrote:
gurugeorge wrote: I still think all this stuff (robots, driverless cars, internet of things, AI, etc.) is overblown and likely to be this age's equivalent of flying cars.

The problem is that so far as I can tell as a layman, the degree of care you need to invest in software to make it bug-free in "mission critical" situations, doesn't have enough ROI in any commercial context.

It's only in military and civil aviation contexts, NASA and the like, in which money can be thrown at the problem, where the standards can be high enough.

In the context of office software, home software and videogames and such, it doesn't matter, you just reboot the damn thing. But in many of these other projected contexts, the stakes are too high for such a cavalier approach.

And I think most people understand this, and have a slightly cynical attitude towards software, borne from experience.
This shit is real. A perfect example is the implementation of AGVs (automatic guided vehicles) in our factory in Indiana. We have about 30 fork-lift drivers. They will all be eliminated. We spent over a million bucks and it paid off in less than a couple of years. The AGVs actually improve safety overall. They are aware of their surroundings with better resolution (and better sensors) than an actual lift driver.

The software and hardware problems regarding safety will be solved eventually. It will just take some hard work and some industry standardization. A great many semi-skilled jobs will be eliminated in the future in all sorts of industries.

Regarding vehicle safety.... well hell... crash and death rates are now climbing due to excessive texting and phone use. Likely, the only solution to this bad trend in more technology.

There are fewer and fewer jobs for people with a 90 IQ. However, there are still just as many people with a 90 IQ.

I fear that as more and more poorly educated people end up permanently unemployed the more the society will stratify. The poor may not starve... hell... they will probably all have cable and cell phones, but they will also not feel like they have status. Solutions, like giving money away will help, but it will not solve the problem that exists in the mind of the poor. The issue with the mind of the poor is that living off of handouts provides a person with no social status.

Identity politics is about negotiating for status as much as it is negotiating for money and policy.
I'm not saying there's no worry at all, I just think it's overblown. And it's not just lower IQ people that are going to be in trouble, expert systems are now encroaching on the lower (more "clerical") reaches of medicine and the law. White collar jobs aren't going to be "safe" either any more.

The economic counter-argument is that when you make something efficient, it leaves more resources (i.e. in this case more basic forms of physical and mental labour) over to do other NEW things (things that weren't done before). At one time, vast armies of people were employed in doing calculations for business. The introduction of pocket calculators and electronic computers made such people redundant as "computers" (which is what they were literally called), but that freed them up for new jobs invented by entrepreneurs.

The difficulty is that we can't predict now what those new forms of employment will take, but you can be sure something will crop up, because there is no conceivable limit to human wants.

And it's not like we need to think that these people, per impossibile, are going to have to re-train to become computer programmers or something like that. For example, the s-f writer Vernor Vinge posited a new kind of software, something like videogames, but something we can't conceive in detail yet, in which the problems people solve intuitively in the "game," as fun, are possible solutions to complex algorithms, translated into graphic form, the "game" solutions then being translated back into mathematical form, and the "employees" paid in microtransactions. This would be hitching on specialized sub-processes in many peoples' brains, linked together as a parallel system.

I think there will be some negative effect in terms of social status like you're saying, but here again at least part of the solution might be virtual worlds. The early designers of MMORPGs actually deliberately intended them to be systems in which people could develop their self-esteem by progressing and showing off their progress to others (things that only "mean something" in the virtual world). This could be combined with an idea I've expressed here a few times: religion as LARP-ing. Or combining this with ARGs (RPGs that have part videogame elements and part real-world elements, like treasure hunts, etc.).

Add to this augmented reality, and the physical element can be included (e.g. large gymnasiums with blocked-out corridors and spaces which might have for example an AR "overlay" of an ancient temple, or a spaceship or whatever - a more snazzy version of paintball, type thing).

The parts of our brains that are related to status are actually quite stupid (or rather, coarse-grained), and can be partly satisfied with substitutes (analogously to how you can fool a baby monkey with a knitted "mother").

And then there's a return to arts and crafts: when machine-produced stuff is cheap and ubiquitous and "satisfices", value will return to hand-crafted objects as symbols of status. You can already see analogous developments in music, where some people go back to using old tape-recording equipment - even though it's actually not much better in absolute terms, if at all, it has its own character and flavour that people like; or with film, when systems like RED are amazing, yet some film-makers still choose various kinds of film stock for their idiosyncratic qualities.

Human ingenuity flows through every opening, every interstice.

Ultimately, as a development of this, I see the mid-term future being more or less like Arthur C. Clarke had it. Come to Earth in say 500 years time, and you'll see people living to all intents as simple hunter-gatherers again, but their mental lives will be incredibly alive, connected to vast, complex virtualized worlds of data and play, with machines and robots underground doing most of the "dirty work").

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Makes you think, hey?
This is probably an illustration of why identity politics will always fail. If you can have Jews for Jesus you can have black white supremacists. We already know there are women MRAs and gays for Trump. "Identity" is very elastic.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Re. the UBI, if someone like Charles Murray is for it, that's actually quite a high recommendation in my eyes. The man knows economics, he's a Right-winger, so ostensibly it should be anathema to him, but he has determined that the benefits outweigh the costs.

The really big problem with welfare is the transition from welfare to work, it's just not rational for most people who are on welfare to make that transition. If you give up on the idea of welfare being connected to some sort of Protestant Ethic moral training, and give people just enough to live on (not comfortably, but about the level of your typical student or artists of a few decades ago), then they will of course enjoy the doing nothing for a while, but eventually they will start to get ideas, and in fact they'll be much more likely to create their own businesses, or do a bunch of different things for money.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Hunt wrote:This is probably an illustration of why identity politics will always fail. If you can have Jews for Jesus you can have black white supremacists. We already know there are women MRAs and gays for Trump. "Identity" is very elastic.
Case and point. Confederate monument protectors (and some black wearing stars & bars not shown in this picture) are protecting a confederate war hero monument from being torn down by antifa.
http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... chool.html

If you do more search on the issue you can find the videos & pics of white boys yelling at the black men for being wrong about this.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

deLurch wrote:
The funniest thing about it is that hidden amongst the amusing stuff, there's actually a skeleton of bits of truth there :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil wrote: Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think I've seen anything similar to the Hillary campaign regarding Le Pen when it comes to what's between her legs.

Now, nobody get me wrong. Although I think both candidates were piles of shite, I believe Macron is the best choice...for now.

We have to see how it goes and if he indeed will be a repeat of Hollande, or if he's going to be different in any way. As far as I'm concerned, in my everyday life (i.e: the one with me having a Polish wife working in Monaco), I am happy Le pen didn't win. At least if she intended to put into action what she was promising.

I, as always, remain hopeful a politician might do their job efficiently.*

*LOL :lol:
I agree that Macron is better that LePen, and Google he'll do fine. However the issues that led to the rise of LePen are still there. I hope Macron won't give up the French principle of strong separation of church and state in a misguided attempt to coddle islam to isolate the terrorists. I hope there won't be any muslim arbitration tribunals or "muslim community councils" in France anytime soon. I hope Macron will distance himself from muslim separatists like Mohammed Saou.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
We'll be reelecting - that is, electing properly - our second female PM in the UK next month. She currently has the highest approval ratings of any PM for 40 years. Just goes to show, you don't need feminism to succeed, you just need Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the opposition.
Not that she'll be getting my vote, but I find her a lot less infuriating than that toffee-nosed bore Cameron. I reckon a lot of people just find her like a manager at work or something- bit of an old dragon maybe, but seems to get on with things. Very 'british values' in that respect.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote: Yup. And I think that what some people are missing is that the issues with corporate politics are one of the reasons which led to the rise of populism, and more years of corporate politics aren't going to fix those issues.

We need an anti-corporate, anti-identitaria, truly secular left which doesn't give islam a pass because the right wing identitarians exist.
It's like that dicks fuck pussies, but they also fuck assholes speech from Team America, right?

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

DrokkIt wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Not that she'll be getting my vote, but I find her a lot less infuriating than that toffee-nosed bore Cameron. I reckon a lot of people just find her like a manager at work or something- bit of an old dragon maybe, but seems to get on with things. Very 'british values' in that respect.
Yeah, that's the nub of it, spot on. She just seems like a reasonably mentally stable old bat who just gets on with stuff. And that's the best option on offer for most people at the present time, I think.

She's a schoolmarmish hobbit. We're all hobbits in this country, as Tolkein pointed out. And our stubbornness re. Brexit may just possibly have saved the world from a great evil :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Yup. And I think that what some people are missing is that the issues with corporate politics are one of the reasons which led to the rise of populism, and more years of corporate politics aren't going to fix those issues.

We need an anti-corporate, anti-identitarian, truly secular left which doesn't give islam a pass because the right wing identitarians exist.
It's like that dicks fuck pussies, but they also fuck assholes speech from Team America, right?
Pretty much. Except that since we're only the Evil Slymepit it's not issues, it's cunts.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

We need an anti-corporate, anti-identitarian, truly secular left which doesn't give islam a pass because the right wing identitarians exist.
I think one of the important things is making the distinction clear between being "anti-corporate" and being "anti-market". Or I guess a better way of putting it, is that it's not even about being anti-corporate per se, but it's about having a sense of skepticism about corporate structures and that what they're doing is always optimal.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

MTV blazes path to gender equality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:MTV blazes path to gender equality

I'm looking forward to genderless Olympics. This can only end well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cna34cLWcAA1sMs.jpg

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Neatly encapsulating rant on the French election from Razorfist:-

[youtube][/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Emma Watson is a bit flat chested for my liking but giving her an MTV Genderless Award is a bit unfair.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:Guess who's making an appearance in the latest Heat Street article.
https://heatst.com/tech/tron-guy-return ... -warriors/
Here's a hint.
...a feminist sci-fi blogger most known as the center of the...
The bit about the person being a sci-fi blogger threw me off. I guess no one knows who the heck she is supposed to be.
What surprises me is that Penguincon don't see that putting on SJW speakers and having SJW consent codes is a controversial thing in itself. They seem to be blind here :think:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:Emma Watson is a bit flat chested for my liking but giving her an MTV Genderless Award is a bit unfair.
As far as Watson's go - she's definitely the best of a bad bunch. (Excluding Nigel Bruce of course).

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Shatterface wrote:Emma Watson is a bit flat chested for my liking but giving her an MTV Genderless Award is a bit unfair.
I really don't understand the fawning over that she gets from the media, she's no great looker IMO, looks like a 12 year old boy half the time plus I've never thought she had anything but a modicum of talent as an actress. I've seen better acting in Australian soap operas.

feathers

Post by feathers »

d4m10n wrote:MTV blazes path to gender equality

This cock trophy identifies as genderless.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY550_.jpg

unfortunately out of stock

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well I hope this starts a trend.

It will definitely save time in awards shows - and also highlight how irrelevant they are.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20170508135 ... of-aliens/

Myers will have the privilege of writing his own epitaph (not a death threat):

"...but I am compelled to judge"
tl;dr: I want more tentacled aliens in movies to to fap to!!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Thought I might drop this here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Visuals are as spectacularly good as hoped for. And I like the fact that this trailer bucks the trend of giving too much of the story away by telling you pretty much fuck all what it's all about. Bodes well, IMO.

Unless the story is shit, and they're just trying to hide it. But nah - fairly optimistic, despite it being a nostalgic cash-grab sequel to a film which never needed one.

John D

Post by John D »

shoutinghorse wrote:
I really don't understand the fawning over that she gets from the media, she's no great looker IMO, looks like a 12 year old boy half the time plus I've never thought she had anything but a modicum of talent as an actress. I've seen better acting in Australian soap operas.
So... if I find Emma quite fuckable does this suggest I secretly like boys? I also find a few famous lesbos (like Rachel Maddow) to be quite fetching. Do I need some Christian conversion therapy?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:Re: : Kitty Werthmann, the woman in those videos,

Check out the entirety of Rational Wiki's entry, which contains one factual line and the rest consists ENTIRELY of ad hom.

rationalwiki org/wiki/Kitty_Werthmann

Kitty Werthmann

Kitty Werthmann is the president of the South Dakota Eagle Forum, an anti-just-about-everything-sensible group founded by Phyllis Schlafly.
Werthmann was born in Austria and lived in German-occupied territory during the Holocaust.

She invariably blames liberals for implementing policies that would send the United States of America down the slippery slope into the Fourth Reich. Her arguments lack historical accuracy.[1][more detail please] That doesn't stop her message from circulating across the internet via email and social media.[2]

Among the boogeymen that she blames for Adolf Hitler's successes include implementing gun control, equal rights for women, removing religious instruction from Germany's public education system, and anything even remotely close to socialism or communism.

That Werthmann, Schlafly and the Eagle Forum preach little more than an American form of Kinder, Kuche, Kirche is an irony completely lost upon them.
You ever notice how the left always does the very things they claim they're against? In this case being irrational. Irrationalwiki. :)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Listening to Bret Easton Ellis' podcast with film director Walter Hill (yes, he's still going!).

Some good rants - as usual - about the snowflakes.

Hill's latest film, The Assignment, about a plastic surgeon (Sigourney Weaver) who performs a sex change operation on her brother's killer, looks like fun.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Malky wrote:
Guest_84d94f98 wrote:snip
The bit about the person being a sci-fi blogger threw me off. I guess no one knows who the heck she is supposed to be.
What surprises me is that Penguincon don't see that putting on SJW speakers and having SJW consent codes is a controversial thing in itself. They seem to be blind here :think:
They believe themselves default good, everything else would be bad and controversial. They see it as a moral imperative to be SJW, not asure a stance per se.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why's that funny? He's really big on reading the details of contracts.
Trump is a salesman, he has lawyers and accountants to read stuff for him. He is a mostly successful salesman but when it comes to other stuff like world history and economics he is mostly clueless. Google "Trump grasp of world trade" and see if you can find any source that thinks he knows what he is talking about.
Some people think that he is a genius because he is rich. The fact is he got a huge step up money wise and connection wise from his father and has had disastrous mistakes and bankruptcy that he was dumb ass lucky to survive because of his connections. Read what his long time accountant and the author (the ghost writer) that really wrote The Art of the Deal.
There are really smart businessmen out there that are self made and have created truly successful and productive businesses without going into bankruptcy or ripping off creditors and business partners. Trump isn't one of them.
He's talked about his love of reading contracts and how most people don't do it. His bankruptcies are a very small percentage of his total businesses, from what I've heard (no citations to give you though). And I'd have to hear all sides of the story before deciding on any creditor/business partner problems. I do know he talked once about not paying a bill because of problems that happened and then they worked something out or something. And I'm not going to google other people's opinion of Trump's grasp on things. I'd rather keep hearing things come out of his own mouth.

Who did you want to win the election?

Malky

Post by Malky »

Really? wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Meanwhile ...

IF THIS IS FEMINISM…

<Snip>

From the comments:
Alastair J Roberts • 11 hours ago
It seems to me that there is an elephant in the room of the academy. It isn't accidental that these sorts of conflicts are most prominent in female dominated quarters of the university, where more female-typical modes of sociality are most pronounced. A traditional male code of sociality celebrates strength, courage, and mastery and expects honour. Properly channelled, this can be conducive to direct engagement in ritual academic conflict, people demonstrating the strength of their intellectual and rhetorical agency, their mastery of ideas, the courage to put themselves and their claims in jeopardy in the realm of public debate, and the honour not to shrink back from or avoid honest and direct engagement.

By contrast, female intrasexual conflict tends to be more indirect in character, involving social pressure and the threat of ostracization, appeals to third parties to intervene, combative networking, sabotaging opponents' reputations, etc. If this isn't tamed and channelled carefully, it will tend to produce an academy dominated by 'mean girls', who avoid direct academic challenge and stress-testing of their ideas, protecting the dominance of their positions through demonizing opponents, freezing them out of the realm of discourse, ostracizing them from the academic community, savaging their reputations through professional gossip and badmouthing, appealing to university administration and other parties to close them down, etc. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly what we are seeing in a number of different areas today.

In talking of the crisis of open debate in the academy today, a number of writers have commented upon the striking gender divides in attitudes towards free speech. However, it is absolutely imperative that we start to wrestle with the sexual differences in sociality that are at play here, sexual differences that can be seen from a very early age.

As an institution, the university has traditionally been built around channelling and taming male intrasexual competition for the service of its ends. We may celebrate egalitarian institutions nowadays, but this doesn't mean that we all start to function as cooperative androgynes. Unless we find some way of channelling and taming female intrasexual competition in a similar manner, the academy faces a very troubling future
Nail - On Head

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Tigzy wrote:Thought I might drop this here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Visuals are as spectacularly good as hoped for. And I like the fact that this trailer bucks the trend of giving too much of the story away by telling you pretty much fuck all what it's all about. Bodes well, IMO.

Unless the story is shit, and they're just trying to hide it. But nah - fairly optimistic, despite it being a nostalgic cash-grab sequel to a film which never needed one.
Looking forward to it, thanks. My wife and I showed the kids the original, and they were impressed, moved even. It will be an expensive night at the movies, hopefully worth it.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Scented: Bernie

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

France is done for!

Macron just flashed the secret "Allahu Akbar" hand signal!
MacronPBUH.jpg
(218.86 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

MarcusAu wrote:Well I hope this starts a trend.

It will definitely save time in awards shows - and also highlight how irrelevant they are.
I don't mind treating men and woman equally for purposes of entertainment award shows, but it does seem to rely on questionable assumptions. Are male and female actors expected to perform similarly, in terms of their dramatic roles? Does it take the same talents to play the Beauty as the Beast?

I would expect feminist scholars to argue that women are expected to display a greater range of emotion both on screen and IRL, on account of a well-known sexist double standard.

But hey, Emma Watson though.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: I also find a few famous lesbos (like Rachel Maddow) to be quite fetching.
Okay, you just made me feel slightly less queasy about my time with Ann.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

John D

Post by John D »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Thought I might drop this here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Looking forward to it, thanks. My wife and I showed the kids the original, and they were impressed, moved even. It will be an expensive night at the movies, hopefully worth it.
I am excited for these two new Scott films (Alien Covenant and Blade Runner). I am sooooooooo tired of stupid super-hero movies. I watched "Aliens" a few weeks ago and said to myself "Self... why doesn't somebody make a movie like this again?" Well, perhaps it is here. I am trying not to get too excited for fear of being disappointed.

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:

I don't mind treating men and woman equally for purposes of entertainment award shows, but it does seem to rely on questionable assumptions. Are male and female actors expected to perform similarly, in terms of their dramatic roles? Does it take the same talents to play the Beauty as the Beast?

I would expect feminist scholars to argue that women are expected to display a greater range of emotion both on screen and IRL, on account of a well-known sexist double standard.

What's that about women being expected to express a wide range of emotion?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_ ... 68x689.jpg
free thoughtpolice wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
How is this not objectification?

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Oh my god! That is awesome. What a couple of fantastic idiot freaks. Milo even said zir was gay! Haha. How can you be asexual and be gay? It's fucking impossible! Milo thinks sex is getting whipped. WTF did I just watch? Does being asexual mean you like being tied up and yelled at?!? Really? How does someone even get the way these two are?

My daughter has introduced me to some real characters, so maybe I have met people with these kinds of opinions and they never felt comfortable talking to me. One of their friends is named "B". Yeah... just the letter. "B" is a MTF trans who is transitioning and has been diagnosed with ass-burgers. Pretty unusual character. My daughter was dating B to see if she wanted to do some poly-sex pan-sex thing. It didn't work out. B was pretty fun most of the time cause she was a good game player.... and she didn't make me use non-gender pronouns.

She did rail on and on about autism NOT being a disease, and that autism was just a different type of mind. My reply to that was that I agree and we should stop all special funding for autism research and special medical funding. Haha.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

d4m10n wrote:

Feminists complain that men get all the best parts. If that's the case they'll win more awards. That's when the #OscarsSoMale protests will start. Ultimately some group will start their own awards just for women. So we get virtue signaling with the abolition of gendered awards followed, a few years later, by virtue signaling when they 'resegregate' the awards.

So this year Watson won the MTV awards. Next year and the year after it's going to be some cute teenage boy because this is fucking MTV. The award isn't ever going to Maggie Smith or Helen Mirren.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Scented: Bernie
Me too, very much actually. He looked like he could have dealt with the Po-Mo left and have a decent approach to foreign policy, which is what matters most to me as a non-'Murrican.

Once the choice turned out to be between a turd sandwich and a giant douche I stopped caring so much and started to wonder who was going to do the least amount of damage to the world. Clinton's victory seemed inevitable so I prepared myself. To my surprise Trump actually subverted all expectations and won, and my reaction was basically "OK, this happened, let's try to see what's going to happen, maybe he'll actually limit the US' involvement abroad and who knows, stick it to Saudi Arabia for a change". Neither thing happened, so I was mildly disappointed but not really shocked.

I really don't like Trump, I think he's a con man, a flaky third-rate celebrity who's basically the male version of Paris Hilton, famous for being famous, and he can't even be trusted to do nothing since he'll change his mind once someone convinces him to do something, just anything. All the flailing and posturing about fascists and nazis made me wonder whether people in the US left have lost their mind, though.

Clinton wouldn't have been incredibly better on practical terms (she wouldn't have gutted the ACA but she would have allowed the TPP to go on, so overall not so great), I think, but if she won we would have had less Antifa drama and less general stupidity and insanity from the US left.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I can't wait to hear feminists complaining when they realise that in every Oscar ceremony for the next twenty years their favourite actress is going to loose out to Idris Elba's magic negro.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: <snip>
Hardly the "predatory trade policies" that fucking blowhard accused us of.

Keep it up and maybe I'll convince my pal Justin to banish you to the other side of the river. :twisted:
Oh wouldn't that be nice! I'd love to be an American with free speech and the right to legally have a gun ready in protective mode. ....

The EU being forced into all sorts of centralized governance that the individual countries have no control of, started with a multilateral trade agreement according to a video I saw. If what the guy said was true, then I'm really glad Trump is dissolving many of these creeping agreements with nasty clauses that sound fine and friendly at first, but later mean horrible things for your country. Think about what North Korea would be like if world-wide. Once communism has been agreed to and voted in, they can do what they like - the sales pitch stage of socialism's false promises is over.
Yea. You might like a Gorbachev quote:
The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.
No doubt there are some good parts to globalism, to a world government of sorts. But it depends on what sets of values & principles undergird it - and the EU and their ilk look more and more like an antidemocratic cancer made more virulent by its pandering to Islam: "What rough beast slouches its way towards Bethlehem awaiting its hour to be born" - so to speak. :-)

But ICYMI, an interesting article by Haidt: When and Why Nationalism Beats Globalism
The important thing is freedom vs fascism, and since the current attempt at globalism is a new form of communism and therefore fascist, I'll take a freedom-embracing nationalism any time over a fascist globalism.

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

What I like about the new BR trailer is the orange dust and the featureless plain comes from the Dick story, which is post-apocalypse.

The story itself, this is just my guessing, seems to lead us to the original paradox. Is Deckard or Ryan Gosling, a replicant, and the answer seems to be no and yes. No, because I think (Scott and) Ford have both said no, but yes for Gosling, as that seems to be where the trailer was heading.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My dear country-peoples, you have chosen of me to give your secrets and I take to you extrude my deep gratitude.