Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Kirbmarc »

shoutinghorse wrote:Its kicking off in Iran
Just after Iran announced that they were going to allow Qatar to use three of their ports to import food. Suspicious timing.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

gurugeorge wrote:
I can't remember which wag it was who put it this way, but the counter-argument to this whole line of thought is: "Sure, more people are killed by malfunctioning toasters every year than are killed by terrorists, but there's no organization running around trying to mis-wire toasters."

Douglas Murray

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

:nin:

But providing the clip must count for something...

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I have a Firefox addon called "disconnect", which stops tracking stuff loading. It is supposed to make browsing quicker (meh, not noticeably) and more secure, by stopping filthy little weasels nibbling at your bandwidth and info.

I just glanced at the tracker, and got a shock. I was on Meyers's blog, and the number of things blocked just kept on rising. Here are some figures (I was logged on to the Pit, in case that makes a difference):

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=513&start=17220:

https://image.ibb.co/cZHcyF/Screen_Shot ... _08_AM.png

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html:

https://image.ibb.co/n9f5JF/Screen_Shot ... _56_AM.png

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/:

https://image.ibb.co/i5c2yF/Screen_Shot ... _34_AM.png

It's not scientific, and I would love to hear from anyone who knows more about how accurate this is, and what it truly means.

But I still feel justified in saying that FfTB is a cesspit, a website which is provably more evil than the Daily Mail and ridden with code which reaches in and grabs a piece of your soul with every visit.
So I looked up at my toolbar and found, for the Pit:
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 7.17.47 AM.png
(42.78 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
and also for the Pit:
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 7.18.19 AM.png
(29.77 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
So I don't know that one can read too much into those numbers, the Pit being an oddly clean kind of place. Mind you, I have a Hosts file modified with a pair of lists of known advertising domains so that it is now 857KB, meaning that around 20,000 domains resolve to an IP of 0.0.0.0.0 and I rarely see adverts as a result.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

And for those wondering what Screwtape is talking about...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Block-t ... ith-HOSTS/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Thanks to WEIT for this delight:

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
What, good for hedge trimming.

Anyway, it's all a part of living in a big city...
I get the feeling that 'hedge trimming' is an euphemism for something.

But for my own sanity, I'm not going to check
Like when I thought a 'rim job' had to do with tuning a bike wheel :shock:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

gurugeorge wrote:
Linus wrote:Matt Liebman actually is making a decent point here, although he definitely could've gone about it better. I'm speaking mainly from a US perspective, so bear that in mind, but the amount of fear-mongering and over-focus on terrorism as a threat is disproportional to the actual size of the problem. That's not to say it isn't a problem or that no one should care about it, of course, I'm just saying it often gets way over-hyped. A better comparison would be to people murdered by terrorists versus people killed in "regular" murders. The latter vastly outweighs the former, especially here in the US where we have something like 15k+ murders per year.
I can't remember which wag it was who put it this way, but the counter-argument to this whole line of thought is: "Sure, more people are killed by malfunctioning toasters every year than are killed by terrorists, but there's no organization running around trying to mis-wire toasters."

A terrorist threat, regardless of numbers, is a qualitatively different kind of thing from accidents and acts of God, but it's also qualitatively different even from things like murder (there is no unified organization with political aims that's behind all the murders that are happening).

Again, because we're talking about a group of people with aims and objectives who are trying to achieve those aims and objectives by means of terrorism, a) it's actually more amenable to solution than a diffuse threat like murder, it's a relatively informationally/causally less complex thing that government can actually "do something" about, and b) if it's unchecked, it's going to escalate, till eventually the numbers do really start to matter, and c) it's an avoidable problem, particularly in the case of Islamic terrorism coming from foreigners, because there's no reason for those people to be in the country in the first place, it's just an extra problem that nobody needs.

There's also the not inconsiderable moral/emotional argument: it's an insult to a free people and their political constitution, their way of life, etc.
As has already been said murder's so low on the list of things you're likely to die from that it's fair to ask "if I shouldn't worry about terror, why should I worry about ever being deliberately killed by anyone?"

Of course it needn't be said (or maybe it does for some people) that murder doesn't have to even be anywhere near the most common cause of death to completely destabilize a society. Even in the shittiest parts of history this was not the case.

And of course I can't fucking stand this shit coming from a tit like Peez who has compared his opponents to emotionless Vulcans in the past.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hey! Was it a known thing that Comrade "I'm not dead" physiprofe (sic) is a dear departed? He is in real life undoubtedly the most impressive scientist in the A/S arena. Which is of course hugely ironic given his FtB output.

windy

Post by windy »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Paris, Notre Dame Cathedral: 'Man with hammer shot after attack on police'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/m ... html%3Famp

I'm jumping to no conclusions. Could be this guy:

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/am ... 0723032607
Nope, it was a toxic male who had nothing to do with islam,
According to his thesis supervisor the guy was/is woke as fuck:

https://translate.google.fi/translate?s ... rl&act=url
On Tuesday afternoon, a 40-year-old man assaulted a policeman with a hammer on the forecourt of Notre-Dame de Paris before being put out of harm's way. A crazy gesture that can not be explained by Arnaud Mercier, the thesis director of the alleged author of the attack.

(...) Farid Ikken is currently in the hospital, after being neutralized by the teammates of the policeman who attacked this Tuesday with hammer blows on the square of Notre-Dame de Paris. This 40-year-old Algerian, who arrived in France in 2014 and lived in Cergy-Pontoise, was a doctoral student in the humanities and social sciences.

"He graduated from a master's degree in journalism in Sweden and served as a journalist in Stockholm and Algeria," said Arnaud Mercier, who believes that his thesis is "a testament to his democratic commitments." "His topic was to study how the Maghreb media dealt with national elections in other countries, including a very interesting issue: how the media covered these elections to deliver messages implicitly."

Nothing, according to the teacher, allowed the time he attended to detect the radicalization of the suspect. "He just did not drink alcohol," the professor said, "he did not give news since November, which was not in his habit," he said. But "nothing foreshaded such an end".
Clearly, another poor disenfranchised immigrant driven to terrorism by lack of opportunities caused by structural racism :(

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Since Douglas Murray has been mentioned again - here's a review of his book 'The Strange Death of Europe'

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm all fine with cooperating with religious people like Rabbi Sacks implores us to do - (depending on which definition of cooperate is used) - I suspect the devil is in the details, as he does not quite get to what exactly he has in mind.

In fact, as nice as it might be to have a sense of belonging and community - I think that going along with the 'noble lie' is just not going to cut it anymore - and those that advocate for it in one form or another are letting their pessimism get the better of them. I guess the truth's power to set us free has waned a bit over the years.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:SJW's lurch yet again to the dox
My experience has been that once a person starts using "sjw" as pejorative, their snowball keeps rolling until they become pit material. This is the inevitable consequence of the horribleness of how they will be treated as an apostate and the gradual realization that there is no sjw god who will strike them dead for heresy. Laci's journey has just begun.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Hey! Was it a known thing that Comrade "I'm not dead" physiprofe (sic) is a dear departed? He is in real life undoubtedly the most impressive scientist in the A/S arena. Which is of course hugely ironic given his FtB output.
The vacuum left by the Comradde Physioproffe is more than compensated for by HJ Hornbeck, who's filled 11 pages of endless screeds since 2015:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/reprobate/

I promise a virtual beer to anyone who can discover a single comment on any of his posts.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

windy wrote:
According to his thesis supervisor the guy was/is woke as fuck:

https://translate.google.fi/translate?s ... rl&act=url
On Tuesday afternoon, a 40-year-old man assaulted a policeman with a hammer on the forecourt of Notre-Dame de Paris before being put out of harm's way. A crazy gesture that can not be explained by Arnaud Mercier, the thesis director of the alleged author of the attack.

(...) Farid Ikken is currently in the hospital, after being neutralized by the teammates of the policeman who attacked this Tuesday with hammer blows on the square of Notre-Dame de Paris. This 40-year-old Algerian, who arrived in France in 2014 and lived in Cergy-Pontoise, was a doctoral student in the humanities and social sciences.

"He graduated from a master's degree in journalism in Sweden and served as a journalist in Stockholm and Algeria," said Arnaud Mercier, who believes that his thesis is "a testament to his democratic commitments." "His topic was to study how the Maghreb media dealt with national elections in other countries, including a very interesting issue: how the media covered these elections to deliver messages implicitly."

Nothing, according to the teacher, allowed the time he attended to detect the radicalization of the suspect. "He just did not drink alcohol," the professor said, "he did not give news since November, which was not in his habit," he said. But "nothing foreshaded such an end".
Clearly, another poor disenfranchised immigrant driven to terrorism by lack of opportunities caused by structural racism :(
The video is available here:

https://fr.yahoo.com/m6info/video-les-i ... 39949.html

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:SJW's lurch yet again to the dox
My experience has been that once a person starts using "sjw" as pejorative, their snowball keeps rolling until they become pit material. This is the inevitable consequence of the horribleness of how they will be treated as an apostate and the gradual realization that there is no sjw god who will strike them dead for heresy. Laci's journey has just begun.
Nobody joins the pit, you get thrown in.

That's the saying. That said, I'm not actually sure this applies here, but mainly because this is such a weird case. We have someone who largely has been radio silent, but has a history on that side, who basically decided how toxic the SJW culture was. And when she broke radio silence, it confused the fuck out of people.

They never saw it coming.

[youtube][/youtube]

They never had a CHANCE to throw her in the pit. She jumped in, Mary Poppins style. (That imagery fills me with joy for what it's worth)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old but great. Bipedalism is a social construct. :lol:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Elsewhere, it looks like Jen McCreight found a job in Hawaii.
After a year of having nothing to do but pelvic floor, she can now shoot a coconut more than 15 feet. These skills are in demand.
Thank you for that image, Brive, thank you.
Yes, thank you!

:cdc:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

As a general rule, when an irritating, obnoxious SJW says something, an event happens days later which contradicts them....

...so, when Sofie Hagen tweeted this....
It was only a matter of time before a terrorist* attack on a nursery by three women**.

Nursery worker slashed in the street by three women 'who shouted Allah'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... uted-allah

* "terrorist attack" is the SJW definition of terrorist attack, which goes well beyond political motivations.
** as reported in its early states, and I'm not discounting the details may false or a hoax at this stage.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Come on Tuvok - you could have at least tried to work in a reference to SJW's and pedophilia.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Kirbmarc wrote:
I was very happy when I was able to walk again.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I was very happy when I was able to walk again.
Ableist traitor! :lol:

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

facebook com/marilee.talkington/posts/10155051385188961

Marilee Talkington, actor
So, after thinking about this over night, I've decided to share something that happened at the WORLD SCIENCE FESTIVAL yesterday afternoon in NYC that changed me. Or rather made me step into who I am in a larger way.
As some on my feed have seen, I was live-feeding the beginning of the panel discussion on FB. That panel was made up of some of the greatest and most famous minds in the world in Inflationary Cosmology, String Theory, Cosmology and Physics based Philosophy. The panel was made up of 5 men and 1 woman. And the moderator was a science writer and journalist for The New Yorker.
In the first hour of the panel discussion you can see clearly, if watching the video, that Veronika Hubeny, the only woman on the panel is barely given any opportunity to speak. And the Moderator, Jim Holt even acknowledges this.
In the last 20-30 minutes of the 90 minute discussion Jim Holt finally pushes the conversation to Hubeny's field of expertise, string theory, and this is what ensued:
He asked her to describe her two theories of string theory that seem to contradict one another.
And THEN, without letting her answer, proceeded to answer for her and describe HER theories in detail without letting her speak for herself.
We could clearly see that she was trying to speak up. But he continued to talk over her and dominate the space for several minutes.
I should say that this panel was taking place in a large auditorium as it is an extremely high-profile and always sold-out event. And the panel discussion was being live-streamed across the world and they say that millions of people watch these videos after they are made public. (Which they already are).
So at this point, after seeing very clearly that she was not going to be given space to speak and in fact having her own theories described to the audience by the moderator, I am in full outrage. My body is actually beginning to shake. The sexism is beyond blatant. It is happening on stage and NO ONE, not a single other physicist or panelist is stepping in to say anything about it. And I can hear other audience members around me, both men and women becoming more and more agitated with what is happening. Jim Holt, even at one point, asks Veronica a question and she laughs because he has been answering his own questions about her work...and he makes fun of her for 'giggling'.
So at some point while he is Still talking about Her theories, I just can't handle it any longer.
With my hands shaking,
I finally say from my seat in the 2nd row of the audience, as clearly, directly and loudly as possible;
"Let. Her. Speak. Please!"
The moderator stops.
They all stop.
The auditorium drops into silence.
You could hear a pin drop.
And then the audience explodes with applause and screams.
Jim Holt eventually sat back, only after saying I was heckling him
And he let her speak.
And of course, she was brilliant.
-----------------------
So, the panel discussion ends.
My hands are still shaking. I'm still upset by the incredible sexism that has been demonstrated this afternoon. But I also realize that I just spoke up in an auditorium full of people that are listening to people that are considered gods in the international science world. I was just overwhelmed by it all
We get up to leave.
And then it happens.
Person after person come up to me. Both men and women.
The first woman, right behind me, reaches over and embraces me and says, "Oh my god. what you said was the most important thing that was said all day. Thank you. Thank you."
And then people start filing out of their aisles and wind their way over to me:
"Was that you? Thank you so much for speaking up. Thank you."
"Was that you? Oh god, what he was doing was horrific. Thank you. I wanted to do something but didn't know how"
"Was that you? I wish I had the courage to say something, thank you! Thank you so much"
"Was that you? You said what everyone here was thinking. Look I had even been writing in my notebook what you eventually said (shows me his notebook with 'let her speak' written over and over.) But you said it. You said it. Thank you."
"Was that you? Thank you! I felt so powerless to do anything."
And on.
So we were all thinking this.
----
So I walked out. And my friend who was sitting about 8 rows behind me, came up to me with a huge grin and said
"That was you, wasn't it? Of course it was. YES!!!!! I will be telling this story for years."
And the whole time, my hands are still shaking. And I'm felling light-headed. And I just want to scream out into the lobby "WHY IS THIS SEXISM STILL HAPPENING? WHY, does someone like me, with No status in that room, have to be so extraordinarily bold and speak up? And why was it so frightening to do so?"
And I'm thinking. "God, please god let this be an opening for those that were here today and the tens of thousands that watched the live-streaming of the panel yesterday and the hundreds of thousands that will watch the video this year- to speak up when we see this happening. And please let me not be afraid to do this again
...and again
...and again"
Because it was scary.
Please keep giving me courage.
facebook com/marilee.talkington/posts/10155051385188961?comment_id=10155053361413961&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Veronika Hubeny, Physicist
I applaud your heroism in standing up for what you believe in! I know well the shaky feeling and subsequent exhilarated and heartwarmed contentment in the knowledge of having done the right thing, and I think that doing so has become more crucial than ever. Your behavior was inspiring and I’m glad that many of those inspired shared their gratitude with you.

I guess that, being the subject of the incident, it might be worthwhile to offer my perspective, which to my surprise is rather more atypical than I had hitherto realized, but which I hope might perhaps provide some encouragement to all those who feel put off by the present situation — especially to those who feel drawn to science yet dissuaded from following their hearts’ calling. (For posterity I also feel compelled to correct a point about the physics — as a physicist I can’t help myself ;-) — but since I realize that that was entirely beside the point of the post, I’ll only do so at the very end…)

You may be amazed to hear it, but during this panel session I genuinely did not feel affronted or discriminated by the moderator’s behavior. It seemed more amusing to see him try posing a question in a way that at the same time tried answering it. It’s true that this made the question a bit of a moving target for me (and therefore harder to address coherently), but I don’t a-priori assume that the incident was rooted in sexism. Maybe I’m too naive, but I simply gave him the benefit of doubt that he was so excited by the newly-learned idea of the duality that he couldn’t resist, and that the same might have occurred had the panelist been a male instead of me. So it didn’t bother me.

In fact, even though in my entire academic career I was in an environment where women were in striking minority (and as a student often the only woman in the class), I never felt discriminated against or thwarted in my calling. The feeling was rather one of camaraderie: the challenges to unravel the deepest mysteries of the universe, the thrill in understanding another tiny bit of this grand puzzle, and the sheer wonder at how beautifully the physics hangs together, put us all in the same boat, so to speak. In retrospect I think I was fortunate in being amongst like-minded physicists who were not only great but gracious and earnest in their love of science. But when I eventually did start coming across others who were not of the same caliber, they somehow seemed insignificant.

I had early on decided that I like physics so much that I’d be quite willing to give up quite a bit of other comforts for it, but perhaps having made that decision and bracing oneself, then made the actual “discomforts” not only more bearable, but genuinely less discomforting. I think the subjective severity of a lot of these issues can be greatly influenced by one’s mindset, one’s psychology. If you allow yourself to enjoy the beautiful things that really matter, if you don’t let social or peer pressure dissuade you from pursuing a field which appeals to you, then no pettiness or childishness or boorishness that you encounter can harm you so much.

Please understand that I’m not trying to say that sexism in science is a myth. It is real and we should all aspire to diminish it. But I am trying to say that it need not pose as much of an impediment as you might fear and that you might be in more control over its influence yourself than you might think. Just as you put up with long lines to see a great show, or with sore feet or mosquitos to have a great hike etc., the annoyance of otherwise abominable behavior diminishes in the larger perspective of doing something you really enjoy.

OK, so now to the physics (sorry):
First, what you refer to as the “two theories of string theory that seem to contradict one another” are actually two ‘dual’ descriptions of the same physics, which while curiously different in rather amazing ways, are completely consistent with each other (one using the language of string theory, the other of a field theory).
Second, I cannot take credit for inventing this holographic (so-called AdS/CFT) correspondence — I have worked on understanding how it works at a deeper level, but the AdS/CFT was originated by Juan Maldacena in 1997.

Once again, let me stress my appreciation, Marilee, of how you bravely stood up for your principles and values! Well done!

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

If anyone wants to watch, and I haven't, the video is here:

youtube com/watch?v=Er7qPv8jsZo

And the incident seemingly occurs "The moment happens at roughly 1 hour 7 minutes in."

At Hacker News, news.ycombinator com/item?id=14505073 folks say

+ The moderator was interrupting everyone
+ The moderator was only doing this to her
+ If you see sexism everywhere you'll see sexism everywhere
+ If you cannot recognize sexism you'll never recognize sexism
+ The physicist is the sole female physicist precisely because she thinks this way (ie most other women physicists have left their careers by now)
+ Look!, the Physicist agreed with the Actor! She thanked her for being so brave!!

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

Elsewhere at Evergreen...
Meanwhile, over at the White House
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has appointed Adam Kissel, formerly of the Koch Foundation and the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, deputy assistant secretary for higher education programs, the department confirmed Monday. Politico first reported the hiring.

As director of the Individual Rights Defense Program and vice president of programs at FIRE, Kissel was a frequent critic of universities the group has accused of violating the free speech rights of students and faculty. He's also criticized broader "intolerance" on campuses. Kissel has also taken issue with the standard of proof used by colleges in the adjudication of recent sexual harassment and assault cases.
Will liberals and feminists focus on Kissel's solid record support civil rights for all, or will they attack him as a former Koch employee and rape apologizing opponent of Title IX tribunals?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
What, good for hedge trimming.

Anyway, it's all a part of living in a big city...
I get the feeling that 'hedge trimming' is an euphemism for something.

But for my own sanity, I'm not going to check
Like when I thought a 'rim job' had to do with tuning a bike wheel :shock:
There was a giant neon sign in Boston for Ellis The Rim Man.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Our ancestors should never have left the trees and ventured onto the prairies.

Fucking legs - how do they work?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:Will liberals and feminists focus on Kissel's solid record support civil rights for all, or will they attack him as a former Koch employee and rape apologizing opponent of Title IX tribunals?
To ask it, is to answer it.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Via Guest_440911e7's post above - Explosions and broken windows close the biology labs at Evergreen.

http://imgur.com/LldrNc1.png

And look who defended Evergreen yesterday, revealing he wanted to teach there:

http://imgur.com/r2mm4iI.png

http://imgur.com/ZxFFuFK.png

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/05/these ... e-college/

They have INTERDISCIPLINARY teaching at Evergreen! Sign up for the Biology-Homeopathy courses, they're going to be good.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think Mike Paps might have aspirations to be the Nerd or wmdkitty of WEIT.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:
[.img]http://imgur.com/r2mm4iI.png[/img]

[.img]http://imgur.com/ZxFFuFK.png[/img]

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/05/these ... e-college/

They have INTERDISCIPLINARY teaching at Evergreen! Sign up for the Biology-Homeopathy courses, they're going to be good.
God what a brown-noser. He'd join Wicca if his overladies told him to. Frankly I hope that the SocJus brigade will find a suitably POC and womyn-friendly religion, uncontaminated by Patriarchal evidence and toxic objectivity, and leave atheism just like they've left skepticism. Maybe they can worship Mother Earth?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

:lol:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Didn't have the breath, more like. 25 years ago Myers didn't suck enough.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Also, what the fuck is Anita wearing?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote: Didn't have the breath, more like. 25 years ago Myers didn't suck enough.
Oh come on, that's unfair. As a scientist, PZ has always sucked quite a lot.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Didn't have the breath, more like. 25 years ago Myers didn't suck enough.
Oh come on, that's unfair. As a scientist, PZ has always sucked quite a lot.

http://imgur.com/5hPimP6.jpg

As this week-old pic shows, he's attained a breadth that can cover 2 airline seats.

No doubt, his ballyhooed vegetarianism (which includes trips to the fried chicken buffet line) and his daily gym workouts (which also include the fried chicken buffet) were instrumental in this achievement.

Evergreen should reconsider.

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

At Pharyngula and on Twitter, this is the sole acknowledgment from PZ Myers that anything is happening at Evergreen State.

Searches show he has not tweeted or blogged about:

Evergreen
EvergreenStCol
Weinstein
BretWeinstein

He hasn't come out in support of either side, or made any comments or criticism, but the above tweet shows Mr. Feminist Biologist is well aware of what is going on there.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Another problem is that the story’s overt queerness gets sublimated by heteronormativity.
I was shocked to see that this article was written by a slender white woman. Can't otherly weighted WOC speak for themselves? They need a skinny white woman that is obviously privileged to do it for them?
White feminists are worse than Hitler.

Really?

Post by Really? »

"Pedophile" is an unfair term spread by pedophobes. Please refer to them as "MAPs" or "Minor-Attracted People"
[youtube][/youtube]

I can't tell if this Steve Diamond is a Poe.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:If anyone wants to watch, and I haven't, the video is here:

youtube com/watch?v=Er7qPv8jsZo

And the incident seemingly occurs "The moment happens at roughly 1 hour 7 minutes in."

At Hacker News, news.ycombinator com/item?id=14505073 folks say

+ The moderator was interrupting everyone
+ The moderator was only doing this to her
+ If you see sexism everywhere you'll see sexism everywhere
+ If you cannot recognize sexism you'll never recognize sexism
+ The physicist is the sole female physicist precisely because she thinks this way (ie most other women physicists have left their careers by now)
+ Look!, the Physicist agreed with the Actor! She thanked her for being so brave!!
Not sure what this is about but links for the lazy.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14505073

[youtube][/youtube]

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

:hankey:
Suet Cardigan wrote: Also, what the fuck is Anita wearing?
I take it no one has ever told her that not all muslims are brown.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

When it comes to "internment camps" in the UK.

https://www.rt.com/uk/390990-nigel-fara ... terrorism/

I am going to have to agree this seems like an extreme step when other approaches are likely to be more beneficial.

1. Start giving non-citizen terror suspect in the UK the boot. Therisa May claims the human rights laws may have to change for this to happen (after she gets re-elected... why the fuck not do it now).

2. Start jailing people who make threats and calls for violence (otherwise known as incitement to violence).

3. Stop jailing & harassing people just for trying to talk about the problem.

4. Stop government funding of Muslim schools in the UK.

5. Acknowledge the real source of the problem and stop kowtowing to Islam.

6. Hold religious figures just as accountable for calls to violence as anyone else.

7. Find a solution for what allows the prison system to turn into a Muslim/jihadist recruitment ground.

8. Shut down the shira courts. There should only be one court system in the UK.

9. Put a stop to groups trying to enforce shira law on the streets of the UK.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

deLurch wrote:

"Oh, okay..."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tivity.jpg

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

shoutinghorse wrote::hankey:
Suet Cardigan wrote: Also, what the fuck is Anita wearing?
I take it no one has ever told her that not all muslims are brown.
And no one has ever told her that some critics of Islam are brown:

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/ ... -73-42.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:I am going to have to agree this seems like an extreme step when other approaches are likely to be more beneficial.

1. Start giving non-citizen terror suspect in the UK the boot. Therisa May claims the human rights laws may have to change for this to happen (after she gets re-elected... why the fuck not do it now).

2. Start jailing people who make threats and calls for violence (otherwise known as incitement to violence).

6. Hold religious figures just as accountable for calls to violence as anyone else.

7. Find a solution for what allows the prison system to turn into a Muslim/jihadist recruitment ground.

10. Stop supporting Saudi Arabia, or at least don't allow Saudi charities to send funds to UK mosques.

11. Actually, just don't allow foreign governments to send funds or clerics to UK mosques.

12. Promote, instead, home-grown mosque leaders who have liberal-democratic beliefs.

13. Support ex-muslims and liberal muslims in general.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Madrid bans manspreading on public transport.

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/manspre ... on-systems

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Hemant Mehta says welcome to prayers in school, if they're muslim prayers.
At Shenendehowa East High School in New York, Principal Donald Flynt wanted to make sure Muslim students had a place to pray during Ramadan — something essential for them to do during the month-long holiday — so he offered up a room for those students to use during the day.

It’s a perfectly reasonable accommodation and one that allows Muslims to pray when they need without awkwardly trying to do it anywhere else and letting them focus on the rest of their school day without concern.
No, it's not "essential". Just like it's not "essential" to have a room in a public school that is turned into a christian chapel to accommodate to the christian students. Keep faith out of public schools. They can pray when they go back home.
Public schools can make reasonable accommodations for students. Administrators can give Muslims a place to pray. Teachers can give students an extension on a paper if they were out sick. Students with disabilities can get access to a faculty elevator. These are simple requests that make life better for the students and take little to no extra work on the part of the adults
What the hell is this? Being sick or having disabilities isn't the same as requiring special religious treatment. Why is Mehta supporting this? He's supposed to be fighting for secularism for fuck's sake!

There should be no special room for any kind of prayers in publicly-funded schools. Why should muslims get one?

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:1. Start giving non-citizen terror suspect in the UK the boot. Therisa May claims the human rights laws may have to change for this to happen (after she gets re-elected... why the fuck not do it now).
What to do with unwanted foreigners when no one wants them back- not even their native/passport country?

What to do with those who have no passport, so you must guess their provenance?

Both questions are actual in Denmark and other European countries.
So, concentration camps.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Public schools can make reasonable accommodations for students. Administrators can give Muslims a place to pray. Teachers can give students an extension on a paper if they were out sick. Students with disabilities can get access to a faculty elevator. These are simple requests that make life better for the students and take little to no extra work on the part of the adults
What the hell is this? Being sick or having disabilities isn't the same as requiring special religious treatment. Why is Mehta supporting this? He's supposed to be fighting for secularism for fuck's sake!
I think he equates Islam to a disability. Fair enough. :evil:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
So, concentration camps.
Don't let Salafi imams in, that's easier.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Ape+lust wrote: :lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/12 ... d13918.png

As this week-old pic shows, he's attained a breadth that can cover 2 airline seats.

No doubt, his ballyhooed vegetarianism (which includes trips to the fried chicken buffet line) and his daily gym workouts (which also include the fried chicken buffet) were instrumental in this achievement.

Evergreen should reconsider.
PZ Myers prof of Homeopathic Biology Evergreen U. Oh what might have been.

Also, sorry Mr. Ape.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote:I am going to have to agree this seems like an extreme step when other approaches are likely to be more beneficial.

10. Stop supporting Saudi Arabia, or at least don't allow Saudi charities to send funds to UK mosques.

11. Actually, just don't allow foreign governments to send funds or clerics to UK mosques.

12. Promote, instead, home-grown mosque leaders who have liberal-democratic beliefs.

13. Support ex-muslims and liberal muslims in general.
14. Suspend all laws of Space/Time.

15. Everyone gets free Pony.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I think severing the financial ties between mosques and foreign governments will be easier than suspending the laws of space and time...

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Can we still get the pony?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote:Madrid bans manspreading on public transport.

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/manspre ... on-systems
That's incredibly racist - these guys aren't going to be able to ride anymore:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIM-ijCAAA1nbD.jpg

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

jet_lagg wrote:I think severing the financial ties between mosques and foreign governments will be easier than suspending the laws of space and time...
Rewriting English common Law from scratch to keep just the bad people out may not be. Most Sharia law can be placed under contract law.

Magical solution to prison radicalization might be a tad tough too.

Ending dependence on oil... Lots o good stuff.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Can we still get the pony?
PM me.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feathers wrote:
deLurch wrote:1. Start giving non-citizen terror suspect in the UK the boot. Therisa May claims the human rights laws may have to change for this to happen (after she gets re-elected... why the fuck not do it now).
What to do with unwanted foreigners when no one wants them back- not even their native/passport country?
One & done:
* Plane & a parachute?
* The Reverse Refugee. Scoot on off of the coast, throw them in a rubber raft & let them make their way back to land.
Political Pressure:
* Refuse to accept any more entries from that country until they accept their citizen back.
* Trade ban until refugee is accepted back.
feathers wrote:What to do with those who have no passport, so you must guess their provenance?
Both questions are actual in Denmark and other European countries.
Do your best forensic, linguistic, genetic effort to identify country of origin. If the individual is unwilling to aid in identifying their country of origin, they can sit in a hole for all I care, until that individual cares.
feathers wrote:
Delurch wrote:7. Find a solution for what allows the prison system to turn into a Muslim/jihadist recruitment ground.
So, concentration camps.
No. I am pretty much against concentration camps, or as they call them in the UK Interment. Prison is for those who have ALREADY committed crimes. I don't see how a concentration camp is going to break up their recruitment network. Hell, they are prisoners. Restrict their freedom to freely talk & associate as they please. Put a smack down on that shit.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

MarcusAu wrote:Come on Tuvok - you could have at least tried to work in a reference to SJW's and pedophilia.
Next time I will, but only when FT isn't looking! ;)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:facebook com/marilee.talkington/posts/10155051385188961

Marilee Talkington, actor
So, after thinking about this over night, I've decided to share something that happened at the WORLD SCIENCE FESTIVAL yesterday afternoon in NYC that changed me. Or rather made me step into who I am in a larger way.
As some on my feed have seen, I was live-feeding the beginning of the panel discussion on FB. That panel was made up of some of the greatest and most famous minds in the world in Inflationary Cosmology, String Theory, Cosmology and Physics based Philosophy. The panel was made up of 5 men and 1 woman. And the moderator was a science writer and journalist for The New Yorker.
In the first hour of the panel discussion you can see clearly, if watching the video, that Veronika Hubeny, the only woman on the panel is barely given any opportunity to speak. And the Moderator, Jim Holt even acknowledges this.
In the last 20-30 minutes of the 90 minute discussion Jim Holt finally pushes the conversation to Hubeny's field of expertise, string theory, and this is what ensued:
He asked her to describe her two theories of string theory that seem to contradict one another.
And THEN, without letting her answer, proceeded to answer for her and describe HER theories in detail without letting her speak for herself.
We could clearly see that she was trying to speak up. But he continued to talk over her and dominate the space for several minutes.
I should say that this panel was taking place in a large auditorium as it is an extremely high-profile and always sold-out event. And the panel discussion was being live-streamed across the world and they say that millions of people watch these videos after they are made public. (Which they already are).
So at this point, after seeing very clearly that she was not going to be given space to speak and in fact having her own theories described to the audience by the moderator, I am in full outrage. My body is actually beginning to shake. The sexism is beyond blatant. It is happening on stage and NO ONE, not a single other physicist or panelist is stepping in to say anything about it. And I can hear other audience members around me, both men and women becoming more and more agitated with what is happening. Jim Holt, even at one point, asks Veronica a question and she laughs because he has been answering his own questions about her work...and he makes fun of her for 'giggling'.
So at some point while he is Still talking about Her theories, I just can't handle it any longer.
With my hands shaking,
I finally say from my seat in the 2nd row of the audience, as clearly, directly and loudly as possible;
"Let. Her. Speak. Please!"
The moderator stops.
They all stop.
The auditorium drops into silence.
You could hear a pin drop.
And then the audience explodes with applause and screams.
Jim Holt eventually sat back, only after saying I was heckling him
And he let her speak.
And of course, she was brilliant.
-----------------------
So, the panel discussion ends.
My hands are still shaking. I'm still upset by the incredible sexism that has been demonstrated this afternoon. But I also realize that I just spoke up in an auditorium full of people that are listening to people that are considered gods in the international science world. I was just overwhelmed by it all
We get up to leave.
And then it happens.
Person after person come up to me. Both men and women.
The first woman, right behind me, reaches over and embraces me and says, "Oh my god. what you said was the most important thing that was said all day. Thank you. Thank you."
And then people start filing out of their aisles and wind their way over to me:
"Was that you? Thank you so much for speaking up. Thank you."
"Was that you? Oh god, what he was doing was horrific. Thank you. I wanted to do something but didn't know how"
"Was that you? I wish I had the courage to say something, thank you! Thank you so much"
"Was that you? You said what everyone here was thinking. Look I had even been writing in my notebook what you eventually said (shows me his notebook with 'let her speak' written over and over.) But you said it. You said it. Thank you."
"Was that you? Thank you! I felt so powerless to do anything."
And on.
So we were all thinking this.
----
So I walked out. And my friend who was sitting about 8 rows behind me, came up to me with a huge grin and said
"That was you, wasn't it? Of course it was. YES!!!!! I will be telling this story for years."
And the whole time, my hands are still shaking. And I'm felling light-headed. And I just want to scream out into the lobby "WHY IS THIS SEXISM STILL HAPPENING? WHY, does someone like me, with No status in that room, have to be so extraordinarily bold and speak up? And why was it so frightening to do so?"
And I'm thinking. "God, please god let this be an opening for those that were here today and the tens of thousands that watched the live-streaming of the panel yesterday and the hundreds of thousands that will watch the video this year- to speak up when we see this happening. And please let me not be afraid to do this again
...and again
...and again"
Because it was scary.
Please keep giving me courage.
facebook com/marilee.talkington/posts/10155051385188961?comment_id=10155053361413961&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Veronika Hubeny, Physicist
I applaud your heroism in standing up for what you believe in! I know well the shaky feeling and subsequent exhilarated and heartwarmed contentment in the knowledge of having done the right thing, and I think that doing so has become more crucial than ever. Your behavior was inspiring and I’m glad that many of those inspired shared their gratitude with you.

I guess that, being the subject of the incident, it might be worthwhile to offer my perspective, which to my surprise is rather more atypical than I had hitherto realized, but which I hope might perhaps provide some encouragement to all those who feel put off by the present situation — especially to those who feel drawn to science yet dissuaded from following their hearts’ calling. (For posterity I also feel compelled to correct a point about the physics — as a physicist I can’t help myself ;-) — but since I realize that that was entirely beside the point of the post, I’ll only do so at the very end…)

You may be amazed to hear it, but during this panel session I genuinely did not feel affronted or discriminated by the moderator’s behavior. It seemed more amusing to see him try posing a question in a way that at the same time tried answering it. It’s true that this made the question a bit of a moving target for me (and therefore harder to address coherently), but I don’t a-priori assume that the incident was rooted in sexism. Maybe I’m too naive, but I simply gave him the benefit of doubt that he was so excited by the newly-learned idea of the duality that he couldn’t resist, and that the same might have occurred had the panelist been a male instead of me. So it didn’t bother me.

In fact, even though in my entire academic career I was in an environment where women were in striking minority (and as a student often the only woman in the class), I never felt discriminated against or thwarted in my calling. The feeling was rather one of camaraderie: the challenges to unravel the deepest mysteries of the universe, the thrill in understanding another tiny bit of this grand puzzle, and the sheer wonder at how beautifully the physics hangs together, put us all in the same boat, so to speak. In retrospect I think I was fortunate in being amongst like-minded physicists who were not only great but gracious and earnest in their love of science. But when I eventually did start coming across others who were not of the same caliber, they somehow seemed insignificant.

I had early on decided that I like physics so much that I’d be quite willing to give up quite a bit of other comforts for it, but perhaps having made that decision and bracing oneself, then made the actual “discomforts” not only more bearable, but genuinely less discomforting. I think the subjective severity of a lot of these issues can be greatly influenced by one’s mindset, one’s psychology. If you allow yourself to enjoy the beautiful things that really matter, if you don’t let social or peer pressure dissuade you from pursuing a field which appeals to you, then no pettiness or childishness or boorishness that you encounter can harm you so much.

Please understand that I’m not trying to say that sexism in science is a myth. It is real and we should all aspire to diminish it. But I am trying to say that it need not pose as much of an impediment as you might fear and that you might be in more control over its influence yourself than you might think. Just as you put up with long lines to see a great show, or with sore feet or mosquitos to have a great hike etc., the annoyance of otherwise abominable behavior diminishes in the larger perspective of doing something you really enjoy.

OK, so now to the physics (sorry):
First, what you refer to as the “two theories of string theory that seem to contradict one another” are actually two ‘dual’ descriptions of the same physics, which while curiously different in rather amazing ways, are completely consistent with each other (one using the language of string theory, the other of a field theory).
Second, I cannot take credit for inventing this holographic (so-called AdS/CFT) correspondence — I have worked on understanding how it works at a deeper level, but the AdS/CFT was originated by Juan Maldacena in 1997.

Once again, let me stress my appreciation, Marilee, of how you bravely stood up for your principles and values! Well done!
To me this epitomises everything about the SJW/pomo approach to analysing the world.

Benign behaviour = malignant oppression with intent, and the inconveniences of living in the real world = existentialist threat. It must be fucking exhausting.

I used to get pissed off when listening to Phillip Adams talking over his guests on Late Night Live, but then I also got pissed off at Amanda Vanstone talking over her guests on CounterPoint. Which one was sexism?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

feathers wrote:
So, concentration camps.
Definitely not.

Such measures are inappropriate unless the individuals proved to be of Dutch descent.