Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Bhurzum »

katamari Damassi wrote:I watched the all female helmed horror anthology movie XX because I'm a fan of the genre and it had a 72% rating on Rottentomatoes. It's terrible. Don't bother with it. Four stories with little suspense and zero pay off, bound together by these faux stop motion animation sequences that are some teenage girl who just saw a Tool video's idea of "creepy." These stories would be lesser Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt episodes. It wasn't feminist propaganda it was just dull. Despite last year's Ghostbusters debacle, I still believed that film criticism was not corrupted by PC or fear of the PC mob, but I might have been wrong.
I can't remember the last decent horror flick I watched. The "Evil Dead" reboot was ok(ish) although I'm probably biased because I'm an ED fanboi. I vaguely recall an anthology of horror shorts with seasonal themes (Christmas, Easter etc) and one of them, a story involving a serial killer who uses dating services to snag victims, was pretty good - it had a really fucked up twist and might have been written/directed by Kevin Smith. The rest of the shorts were pretty stock/dull.

Random recomendation (looking at my dvd collection) - "Severance" - group of office workers go into the mountains of an unnamed Eastern European country (Bosnia most likely) to conduct team-building exercises. Trouble is, there's a section of (insane) soldiers "dug in" on the mountainside who don't know the war is over. Blood, guts, jump-scares and tons of grim laughs. An ok film, nothing special but worth a watch if comedy-horror is your thing.

http://www.impawards.com/2007/posters/severance_xlg.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I think blaming this mess on Obama is a bit unfair. He really didn't do anything to interfere other than threatening to do something if Assad kept up his human rights crimes. From the beginning he wanted to do as people were telling him. Stay out of these countries and leave them to sort it out themselves. Stop interfering. The article you quote criticizes him for doing just that.
Bullshit. He was the Goddamn President, and under him the CIA was training and supplying rebel groups. That's interfering.
Timber Sycamore is a classified weapons supply and training program run by the United States Central Intelligence Agency and supported by various Arab intelligence services, most notably that of Saudi Arabia. Launched in 2012 or 2013, it supplies money, weaponry and training to rebel forces fighting in the Syrian civil war. According to US officials, the program has trained thousands of rebels.[1][2] President Barack Obama secretly authorized the CIA to begin arming Syria’s embattled rebels in 2013.[3]

The program's existence was suspected after the US Federal Business Opportunities website publicly solicited contract bids to ship tons of weaponry from Eastern Europe to Taşucu, Turkey and Aqaba, Jordan.[4] One unintended consequence of the program has been to flood the Middle East's black market with weapons including assault rifles, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades.
According to Rachel Marsden writing for The Baltimore Sun, the CIA and Saudi intended for Timber Sycamore to allow independent military forces to drive out Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, install a Syrian leader friendly to US, Saudi and Qatari interests, and weaken Russia's influence in the Middle East.[17]

Reporter Paul Malone wrote that weapons delivered by Timber Sycamore might be acquired by al-Qaeda in Syria, comparing the program to CIA support for the Afghan mujahideen, or American weaponry being seized by ISIS in 2014 in Mosul, Iraq.[9]
Former CIA analyst and Brookings Institution fellow Bruce Riedel has stated that Saudi support for the program has given Saudi Arabia greater say over American policy in the Syrian Civil War.[3]
So it is Obama's fault for not playing world cop? How could he decisively intervene without a huge costly invasion and what are the chances he could succeed in establishing a stable and progressive government? Sounds like imperialism/colonialism.
Right now there are more than 1000 militias in Syria may formed form villages, clans, tribes and many following jigsaw puzzle of little county type entities that were drawn up as millets during the Ottoman times. The division of the land into tiny self sufficient principalities doesn't fare well for a formation of a nation.
It didn't take the US to make Syria a failed state.
Obama should have told the Saudis to fuck off and terminated Timber Sycamore. Not that any other US president seems able to do so.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Predictable as Christmas...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

dogen wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
dogen wrote:
Either side would be -- and was -- fucked over by air power. Already by WW2 the battleship was an obsolete design.
It's my fantasy - I've banned airplanes.

:snooty:
Just imagine if Maginot had been able to ban Belgium...
Or Metaxes Yugoslavia. But what fun being god if you can't ban archers from Agincourt?

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

via huff
huffingtonpost com/entry/queer-kid-stuff-drag_us_594d8816e4b05c37bb768284

and the youtube vid itself

youtube com/watch?v=VhNbGTnA53s
"Lindsay and Teddy talk about what drag is with our new friends Jeff and Ms.Ter! Check out Ms.Ter on Instagram (@mr.mster)!"

I was pretty sure modern day lgbtpotpourri thought drag was problematic....

thesocietypages org/socimages/2015/07/28/are-drag-queens-doing-girlface/
pinknews.co uk/2015/07/21/pride-event-overturns-ban-on-drag-queens-but-only-if-theyre-trans/
"Organisers of a pride event that banned all drag performers have changed their policy – but will still ban “cisgender” drag queens."

Oh look, huffpo again and this time it's Kat Blaque

huffingtonpost com/kat-blaque/performative-blackness-an_b_9545212.html

It could be it's mostly RuPaul they hate, mostly because RuPaul's show is too much enjoyed by mainstream audiences.

thinkprogress org/the-quiet-clash-between-transgender-women-and-drag-queens-297a9da4c5f6

reddit has some problems with drag and not just rupaul
reddit com/r/asktransgender/comments/208nwx/drag_drag_queens_and_that_whole_culture_i_hate_it/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Metaxas. Meh.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:Metaxas. Meh.
Meat axe.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

http://archive.is/3SONa
[PZ's anger at Laci]

LOL! So must salt here from the Baboons.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Guest_936d3dec wrote: ...
People are strange...get used to it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Just heard that ANOTHER SJW, anti-GamerGater, who was a mod at neoGAF (whatever the fuck that was), is a [redacted]. Amir0x was his name. Fucking cunter.

That's one for the fucking list.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:Did anyone see Stephen Colbert's interview with John McEnroe?
[youtube][/youtube]
Colbert (like just about everyone else) does not want to give his own opinion - but seems to frame McEnroe's as entertaining and thus good for ratings.
I have to wonder how long it will be before the SJW contingent decide to have another go at him.
* McEnroe won't role over. SJWs will figure that out fast if they try.
* McEnroe has a book out which is why he is doing these interviews (to help with his book sales)
* The shows interviewing him chastising him for even saying it, are essentially asking him to say it again or recant it. It is "controversial." It is good for the individual shows ratings. And as much as these show hosts virtue signal that he should not even say this at all, they keep bringing it up and bringing him out to say it again. If they really did not want to hear the answer, they would stop asking the question.

It is gravy for everyone involved except for Serena who is pregnant. But perhaps she might get some sponsorship deal out of this, because she handled it with reason and grace and it raised her name profile.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Just heard that ANOTHER SJW, anti-GamerGater, who was a mod at neoGAF (whatever the fuck that was), is a [redacted]. Amir0x was his name. Fucking cunter.

I'm not even surprised anymore. So while the SJW ranks are being decimated by horrible, illegal, amoral stuff, the Pit keeps being pristine (that we know of).

Talk about moral high-ground.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

deLurch wrote: ...
It is gravy for everyone involved except for Serena who is pregnant. But perhaps she might get some sponsorship deal out of this, because she handled it with reason and grace and it raised her name profile.
Wow - way to erase the identity and indeed the very existence of the unborn child.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I'm not even surprised anymore. So while the SJW ranks are being decimated by horrible, illegal, amoral stuff, the Pit keeps being pristine (that we know of).

Speak for yourself Phil.

I'm a cunt.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ is upset a judge let two kids off a rape charge because "boys will be boys"

Alas he trips over that canard of "toxic masculinity" and Schrödinger’s Rapist. I thought men were predisposed to rape? And that's why we had to zip up and listen.
I was once a 15-, 16-, 17-year-old boy. I was never even tempted to sexually assault other boys, black, handicapped, or not. I think I rather resent this idea that because of my sex, I am predisposed to viciously and violently carry out sexual attacks on others ....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No, the roadkill kept young PZ busy in the basement.
http://i.imgur.com/sDxyvwI.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:http://archive.is/3SONa
[PZ's anger at Laci]

Honest to god. That is what PZ thought happened to Laci.

Amazing.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:
[PZ's anger at Laci]

Amazing.
Ultra-progressive, life-long feminist PZ's reasoning for why Laci turned: ladybrains.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

deLurch wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Colbert (like just about everyone else) does not want to give his own opinion - but seems to frame McEnroe's as entertaining and thus good for ratings.
I have to wonder how long it will be before the SJW contingent decide to have another go at him.
* McEnroe has a book out which is why he is doing these interviews (to help with his book sales)
* The shows interviewing him chastising him for even saying it, are essentially asking him to say it again or recant it. It is "controversial." It is good for the individual shows ratings. And as much as these show hosts virtue signal that he should not even say this at all, they keep bringing it up and bringing him out to say it again. If they really did not want to hear the answer, they would stop asking the question.

Now I'm seriously wondering who would win: Old McEnroe vs. pregnant Serena?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Hunt wrote:
deLurch wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

Now I'm seriously wondering who would win: Old McEnroe vs. pregnant Serena?
John McEnroe is 58 years old and continues to run a tennis training program for youth who will beat him.

Serena is 7.5 months pregnant. Fit as fuck. In her prime. Will continue competitively playing after she drops her load.
https://imgoat.com/uploads/3e75ff09dd/27213.jpg

Even so that belly is going to put her off balance. McEnroe isn't that old. I think McEnroe would win even if she went balls to the wall and didn't care what happened to her baby.

Once she drops her load, and has 3-6 months recovery and training, I think she would beat McEnroe.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
[PZ's anger at Laci]

Amazing.
Ultra-progressive, life-long feminist PZ's reasoning for why Laci turned: ladybrains.
That's the standard Marxist approach to the "oppressed" people who don't side with them: false consciousness. It's not they have different goals, values, principles, interests. It's not even that the Marxist methods failed to give valid answer to their issues. It's not that workers look for an improvement of their conditions, not for a revolution.

No, it's the Secret Conspiracy of the Capitalists, who are all Evil, and with which there can be no dialog or compromise.

To be fair the same thing is true in many parts of the RIght. It's not like leftists have different goals, principles, values, interests, or issues to deal with. No, they must be weak sellout traitors/the Evil Antichrist.

People are very good at crafting thought-terminating and dialogue-terminating cliches. Demonizing your rivals and the defectors from your group is just one of the many strategies of tribalism. Curiously enough those who deem themselves to be completely immune to tribalism are often very tribal. I wonder if there's a relationship between this trend and the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

deLurch wrote:
Once she drops her load, and has 3-6 months recovery and training, I think she would beat McEnroe.
OK, that one was easy. How about General Grievous against Stretch Armstrong playing table tennis, but the twist is that General Grievous can only use 3 arms and Stretch Armstrong is high on PCP?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Steersman wrote:
feathers wrote:
Steersman wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]
You mean, we should put a 100 MV lightning through your carcass? Ok.
Shocking! "Number Five Is Alive!"

But who are you referring to, me or Hopkins?
Hopkins of course.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

[youtube][/youtube]

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Im a couple page late but on the martial art bullshit subject, im surprised no one brought up Bullshido, or to be more precise, the debunking forum of bullshido.net

I had to look up if it still exist, i have not been there in a long time. I don't know if its as great as it was when i used to visit but they had some really epic threads (to used a term still annoyingly popular back then).

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

One of the most memorable thread was about a video of a crazy man clearly talking out of his ass about his martial art skills to a couple guy in a dojo. The guy got his ass kicked real bad. Like way too hard. The dojo guys were clearly dicks and the crazy guy showed sign of being genuinely mentally ill. For many on the forum it looked more like assault on a mentally ill guy then a shit talker having his comeuppance. It didn't take long before they find out the crazy guy was indeed crazy and homeless and the dojo guy knew who he was; not just a unknown schmuck showing up for some shit talk. Anyway, at this point everyone wanted to find who those guys were and ... well that is just the start, the rest was pages and pages of fun ... at least to my memory.
Yeah. I'm on Bullshido. "Justice for Kung Fu guy". Bobby Joe Blythe is the redneck scumbag lowlife piece of shit that made that happen in his dojo. Had his top student stomp down an obviously mentally ill guy who wasn't being hostile or violent. They dug up some hazily remembered rumor that Kung Fu guy did live, but nothing solid, especially since they never ID'ed him to be able to confirm it.
(Trigger warning: Ugly assault on mentally challenged man, presided over by living dumpster juice)

[youtube][/youtube]

Interesting backstory: Shitstain Blythe is very possibly the inspiration for the asshole Cobra Kai instructor John Kreese in The Karate Kid:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/ ... ai:1542882

Some closed dojo lectures he gave are on Youtube & it sounds a whole lot like the "weakness does not exist in this dojo" kinda stuff they had Kreese saying in the movie.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote:Metaxas. Meh.
Metaxas:
Metaxas.jpg
(65.84 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That Katie Hopkins clip came from a documentary presented by well known (in the UK) political satirist, editor of Private Eye, panelist on the 'Have I Got News for You' TV show - and wishy-washy, Church of England, Droopy Dog impersonator Ian Hislop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Hislop

Let's see if it's available world wide:

[youtube][/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I haven't watched it yet (waiting for Ali to be home), but it looks really good:

[youtube][/youtube]

And I'm also hoping to get my filthy hands on The Spacewalker:

[youtube][/youtube]

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Bhurzum wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I watched the all female helmed horror anthology movie XX because I'm a fan of the genre and it had a 72% rating on Rottentomatoes. It's terrible. Don't bother with it. Four stories with little suspense and zero pay off, bound together by these faux stop motion animation sequences that are some teenage girl who just saw a Tool video's idea of "creepy." These stories would be lesser Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt episodes. It wasn't feminist propaganda it was just dull. Despite last year's Ghostbusters debacle, I still believed that film criticism was not corrupted by PC or fear of the PC mob, but I might have been wrong.
I can't remember the last decent horror flick I watched. The "Evil Dead" reboot was ok(ish) although I'm probably biased because I'm an ED fanboi. I vaguely recall an anthology of horror shorts with seasonal themes (Christmas, Easter etc) and one of them, a story involving a serial killer who uses dating services to snag victims, was pretty good - it had a really fucked up twist and might have been written/directed by Kevin Smith. The rest of the shorts were pretty stock/dull.

Random recomendation (looking at my dvd collection) - "Severance" - group of office workers go into the mountains of an unnamed Eastern European country (Bosnia most likely) to conduct team-building exercises. Trouble is, there's a section of (insane) soldiers "dug in" on the mountainside who don't know the war is over. Blood, guts, jump-scares and tons of grim laughs. An ok film, nothing special but worth a watch if comedy-horror is your thing.

I liked The Witch, in large part because of the folklore aspect. 17th century New England family is beset by a witch, basically. Found it quite creepy.

Also found Digging Up the Marrow decent. It's a mockumentary kind of thing.

Speaking of mockumentaries, What We Do in the Shadows is pretty damn funny. It follows a household of vampires in New Zealand.

Every October I watch a horror movie a day, and write a very brief blog post about them. So anyone who wants suggestions for horror (and horror adjacent) movies that may or may not be worth watching can check my blog in the signature below.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So a couple of fathers of two young teens who committed suicide found that their daughters had watched Netflix's "13 Reason's Why" about a teen girl who committed suicide and left audio tapes to blame various people. The fathers want Netflix to stop showing it. It now has season 2 out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/netflix-13- ... d-suicide/

The show is rated M-TV (so Mature audiences only over the age of 17, aka adults). Netflix does have a couple of schemes that allows parents to block their kids from watching shows of various ratings.

A psychologist was trotted out to CBS to argue that the show did not induce the suicides.

Unlike video game violence which has been shown to NOT cause real violence, news articles & knowing someone who has committed suicide does have a correlation.

Since the show is properly rated, and there are parental controls, I personally believe the parents should be arguing that parents should USE those controls, not prohibiting the airing of the show.

None the less, an interesting issue.

Basement

Post by Basement »

deLurch wrote: John McEnroe is 58 years old and continues to run a tennis training program for youth who will beat him.

Serena is 7.5 months pregnant. Fit as fuck. In her prime. Will continue competitively playing after she drops her load.

Even so that belly is going to put her off balance. McEnroe isn't that old. I think McEnroe would win even if she went balls to the wall and didn't care what happened to her baby.

I agree with this assessment, but I'm more sure McEnroe would beat prego-Serena than that post-baby Serena would beat McEnroe.

If it ever happens, then we will have the proof that Serena can beat the number 1 ranked men's player. (never mind the ranking was 30+ years ago). It will prove once and for all that girls are better than boys at tennis and everything else.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:So a couple of fathers of two young teens who committed suicide found that their daughters had watched Netflix's "13 Reason's Why" about a teen girl who committed suicide and left audio tapes to blame various people. The fathers want Netflix to stop showing it. It now has season 2 out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/netflix-13- ... d-suicide/

The show is rated M-TV (so Mature audiences only over the age of 17, aka adults). Netflix does have a couple of schemes that allows parents to block their kids from watching shows of various ratings.

A psychologist was trotted out to CBS to argue that the show did not induce the suicides.

Unlike video game violence which has been shown to NOT cause real violence, news articles & knowing someone who has committed suicide does have a correlation.
However fictional accounts of suicides have a far less strong correlation with suicides than news articles or knowing someone who committed suicide.

Also there are usually warning signs to suicide, even in teenagers, that parents should be able to spot. I don't want to be an insensitive cunt, but I think that parents should pay more attention to their children's mental health rather than spend time trying to ban TV shows.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

This happening just ONCE is bizarre, but this woman has been convicted of pretending to be a man, and raping a friend with a fake penis, for a SECOND TIME!!!. WTF.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-into-sex

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CommanderTuvok wrote:This happening just ONCE is bizarre, but this woman has been convicted of pretending to be a man, and raping a friend with a fake penis, for a SECOND TIME!!!. WTF.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-into-sex
Actually, now that I have my reading glasses on, she has been found guilty of raping the same woman, after a retrial.

:lol:

How on earth did the victim not realise?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

My company has just started up an LGBTQetc allyship scheme and invited us to join up.

Will the madness never end ?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

TedDahlberg wrote:Speaking of mockumentaries, What We Do in the Shadows is pretty damn funny. It follows a household of vampires in New Zealand.
I love that movie!

("we're werewolves, not swearwolves")
TedDahlberg wrote:Every October I watch a horror movie a day, and write a very brief blog post about them. So anyone who wants suggestions for horror (and horror adjacent) movies that may or may not be worth watching can check my blog in the signature below.
Thanks, Ted, I'll check it out!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Just heard that ANOTHER SJW, anti-GamerGater, who was a mod at neoGAF (whatever the fuck that was), is a [redacted]. Amir0x was his name. Fucking cunter.

Not downloading child porn is an awfully low bar for "pristine."

We're saints next to the social justice crowd though, that's for sure.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

TedDahlberg wrote:

I liked The Witch, in large part because of the folklore aspect. 17th century New England family is beset by a witch, basically. Found it quite creepy.

Also found Digging Up the Marrow decent. It's a mockumentary kind of thing.

Speaking of mockumentaries, What We Do in the Shadows is pretty damn funny. It follows a household of vampires in New Zealand.

Every October I watch a horror movie a day, and write a very brief blog post about them. So anyone who wants suggestions for horror (and horror adjacent) movies that may or may not be worth watching can check my blog in the signature below.[/quote]
I really liked The Witch. I just wish they left out the actual scenes of the witches before the climax of the film. I love unreliable narrator stories and removing the appearance of the witches until the end would've lent it that quality.

katamari Damassi

piginthecity wrote:My company has just started up an LGBTQetc allyship scheme and invited us to join up.

Do you need me to write you a reference?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Dunno why I suddenly thought of this, but since it's well and truly summer now, how's Peez coming along with his promise to Do Something about the FTB ads?

katamari Damassi

MarcusAu wrote:
Guest_936d3dec wrote: ...
People are strange...get used to it.
I think that tweet is hilarious!

I checked out that youtube thing not long ago-saw it on Huffpo, I guess it gets featured a lot. I think it's well intentioned, but useless and in some cases just wrong-the one I saw was on the gender assigned at birth nonsense. I can't really see who this is made for. It looks like it's aimed at the Sesame Street age group, but I doubt even little gay kids would watch this and if they did I doubt they would relate or get anything out of it. As someone who was once a little gay kid I can't imagine it working for me, but I was fairly boyish. The only people I can imagine using these videos are radical lesbians or trendy ultraliberal parents who are excited at the thought that their toddler might be trans.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:Yamato and Musashi vs Bismarck, Tirpitz and let's throw in the Scharnhorst / Gneisenau as bait.

That would be a cage match worth watching.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... eships.jpg
Yamato's favored, having undergone some recent upgrades.
Space_Battleship_Yamato.jpg
(667.06 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/6/28/1 ... -asia-news

The latest in the MMA v Tai Chi rivalry in China LOLOLOL

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

I also heard he was a pipe-to-pipe bushman as well.

feathers

Post by feathers »

TedDahlberg wrote:Speaking of mockumentaries, What We Do in the Shadows is pretty damn funny. It follows a household of vampires in New Zealand.
And takes the royal piss on those MTV reality soaps on youth culture. I won't give any spoilers, but there is a scene where I nearly exhaled beer through the nose.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So decision time for me. I got side swiped by a hit & run driver the other night.

2006 Toyota Corolla, I paid $16,650 cash for in 2005. So I have had the vehicle for 11.7 years. In essence I paid $1,423 for each year of service (not adjusted for interest, inflation, or opportunity cost of investments). 60,000 miles.

I am not familiar with auto body repainting & collision touch up costs. But these websites suggest the range will be between $1,000 to $3,500. With the average being a around $2,000.
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/how ... nt-car.htm
http://cars.costhelper.com/auto-painting.html

Given that my car has recently broken out with a fair amount of rust in the past year, in addition to the full right hand side side swipe of all the panels, I am going to expect the costs to be on the higher end of the scale. And then there are items like peeling plastic on side items like door handles & bumper.

Then looking at new cars (My prioritization is reliability, safety features, followed by cost savings).
After doing a mashup of the IIHS and Consumer reports, narrowing down the options I strongly suspect that the 2017 Toyota Corolla will be the winner again.

Price estimated by Consumer Reports will be $16,916 for the 2017 Toyota Corolla LE. All the key safety features are standard.

OK. Longish post, but putting this in writing has really helped me to narrow down my choices and help kill my analysis paralysis.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

DrokkIt wrote:

I also heard he was a pipe-to-pipe bushman as well.
As is the #3 in the Vatican, apparently...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

piginthecity wrote:My company has just started up an LGBTQetc allyship scheme and invited us to join up.
It would be interesting to see who all signs up, and how long they last in the company.

They might be alright with just a few LGB people in the mix, but throw in one self-obsessed internet Trans (most Trans are OK) or one RadFem Lesbian (most Lesbians are sane) and they will all be out on the curb.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

deLurch wrote:So decision time for me.

{snip}

Price estimated by Consumer Reports will be $16,916 for the 2017 Toyota Corolla LE. All the key safety features are standard.

OK. Longish post, but putting this in writing has really helped me to narrow down my choices and help kill my analysis paralysis.
I can't fault your decision, but, if and when you go to try a Corolla, also try the new Yaris. It's a tad less safe, but more fun to drive and the new nose is cool. With an after-market front sway-bar, it handles well for wrong-wheel-drive.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirbmarc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:I think blaming this mess on Obama is a bit unfair. He really didn't do anything to interfere other than threatening to do something if Assad kept up his human rights crimes. From the beginning he wanted to do as people were telling him. Stay out of these countries and leave them to sort it out themselves. Stop interfering. The article you quote criticizes him for doing just that.
Bullshit. He was the Goddamn President, and under him the CIA was training and supplying rebel groups. That's interfering.
Timber Sycamore is a classified weapons supply and training program run by the United States Central Intelligence Agency and supported by various Arab intelligence services, most notably that of Saudi Arabia. Launched in 2012 or 2013, it supplies money, weaponry and training to rebel forces fighting in the Syrian civil war. According to US officials, the program has trained thousands of rebels.[1][2] President Barack Obama secretly authorized the CIA to begin arming Syria’s embattled rebels in 2013.[3]

The program's existence was suspected after the US Federal Business Opportunities website publicly solicited contract bids to ship tons of weaponry from Eastern Europe to Taşucu, Turkey and Aqaba, Jordan.[4] One unintended consequence of the program has been to flood the Middle East's black market with weapons including assault rifles, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades.
According to Rachel Marsden writing for The Baltimore Sun, the CIA and Saudi intended for Timber Sycamore to allow independent military forces to drive out Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, install a Syrian leader friendly to US, Saudi and Qatari interests, and weaken Russia's influence in the Middle East.[17]

Reporter Paul Malone wrote that weapons delivered by Timber Sycamore might be acquired by al-Qaeda in Syria, comparing the program to CIA support for the Afghan mujahideen, or American weaponry being seized by ISIS in 2014 in Mosul, Iraq.[9]
Former CIA analyst and Brookings Institution fellow Bruce Riedel has stated that Saudi support for the program has given Saudi Arabia greater say over American policy in the Syrian Civil War.[3]
So it is Obama's fault for not playing world cop? How could he decisively intervene without a huge costly invasion and what are the chances he could succeed in establishing a stable and progressive government? Sounds like imperialism/colonialism.
Right now there are more than 1000 militias in Syria may formed form villages, clans, tribes and many following jigsaw puzzle of little county type entities that were drawn up as millets during the Ottoman times. The division of the land into tiny self sufficient principalities doesn't fare well for a formation of a nation.
It didn't take the US to make Syria a failed state.
Obama should have told the Saudis to fuck off and terminated Timber Sycamore. Not that any other US president seems able to do so.
Timber Sycamore wasn't launched until the conflict was well underway. It was already a giant mess, the country was already flooded with arms, and al Qaeda and IS already had a foothold. Factions in the GCC already were interfering and rebel groups were also self funding by smuggling oil and other activities.
If Obama stayed out of it there would still be a giant mess. He could have told the Saudis to fuck off all he wanted and they would continue interfering.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I can't fault your decision, but, if and when you go to try a Corolla, also try the new Yaris. It's a tad less safe, but more fun to drive and the new nose is cool. With an after-market front sway-bar, it handles well for wrong-wheel-drive.
Yes, I am fully aware that Corollas are not the super sportiest or funnest cars to drive.

The Yaris iA has an extremely good reliability rating & safety rating.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... door-sedan

And cheaper with an estimate cost of: $16,178

But it according to this it lacks:
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-safe ... y-systems/
* Autobraking Highspeed
* Forward-Collision Warning
* Lane warning-departure prevention

Outside of trampoline work, driving is the most dangerous activity we engage in. Good health can be impossible to get back after a bad accident. I would rather sacrifice reliability than safety features.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
This is how you teach kids about drag culture:

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, fuck the internet. Google drag race and 99% of it is blokes in dresses.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Severence is excellent. Danny Dyer's finest work.

[youtube][/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I can't fault your decision, but, if and when you go to try a Corolla, also try the new Yaris. It's a tad less safe, but more fun to drive and the new nose is cool. With an after-market front sway-bar, it handles well for wrong-wheel-drive.
Yes, I am fully aware that Corollas are not the super sportiest or funnest cars to drive.

* Autobraking Highspeed

Outside of trampoline work, driving is the most dangerous activity we engage in. Good health can be impossible to get back after a bad accident. I would rather sacrifice reliability than safety features.
I'm not a huge fan of "nannies" (with the exception of ABS, as long as I can turn it off), so those things weren't on my radar. If you've ever had the auto-brakes kick in on a Subaru when doing something fun (read: stupid), then you might agree with me. It can be more dangerous than helpful. In general, modern "nannies" are designed for idiots and people who won't put down their cell-phones. They are not useful for people who take driving very seriously. But, if you tune out for a moment, they can save your life, so I'm not going to argue this point any harder.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
deLurch wrote:

* Autobraking Highspeed

I'm not a huge fan of "nannies" (with the exception of ABS, as long as I can turn it off), so those things weren't on my radar. If you've ever had the auto-brakes kick in on a Subaru when doing something fun (read: stupid), then you might agree with me. It can be more dangerous than helpful. In general, modern "nannies" are designed for idiots and people who won't put down their cell-phones. They are not useful for people who take driving very seriously. But, if you tune out for a moment, they can save your life, so I'm not going to argue this point any harder.
How about seats that wipe your ass for you?

I mean, seriously, fuck. I do not want my car deciding to brake when I've decided to jump into the next lane to go around the imminent pile-up. And if you can't stay in your lane while toodling along, either put down the iPhone or take the fucking bus.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:So decision time for me. I got side swiped by a hit & run driver the other night.

2006 Toyota Corolla, I paid $16,650 cash for in 2005. So I have had the vehicle for 11.7 years. In essence I paid $1,423 for each year of service (not adjusted for interest, inflation, or opportunity cost of investments). 60,000 miles.

I am not familiar with auto body repainting & collision touch up costs. But these websites suggest the range will be between $1,000 to $3,500. With the average being a around $2,000.
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/how ... nt-car.htm
http://cars.costhelper.com/auto-painting.html

Given that my car has recently broken out with a fair amount of rust in the past year, in addition to the full right hand side side swipe of all the panels, I am going to expect the costs to be on the higher end of the scale. And then there are items like peeling plastic on side items like door handles & bumper.

Then looking at new cars (My prioritization is reliability, safety features, followed by cost savings).
After doing a mashup of the IIHS and Consumer reports, narrowing down the options I strongly suspect that the 2017 Toyota Corolla will be the winner again.

Is your insurance willing to total the car for you? That should work out to more than the blue book + repairs.

If there's any chance the frame got bent, ditch the bitch.

Since you obviously like the handling responsiveness equivalent of driving on novocaine, I'd stick with Toyota.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Since you obviously like the handling responsiveness equivalent of driving on novocaine, I'd stick with Toyota.
Hey, Matt. Have I mentioned recently how much I love you?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

My bike has ABS (kinda mandatory these days). It hasn't activated even once. Yes, I'm that good!*

*or there's a problem with my ABS...