Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
Keating wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea. Lotta people going off the deep end, thinking just because they can come up with a possibility it must therefore be an imminent threat or even plausible
It's not a threat, it's just....very childish and stupid.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Yea. Lotta people going off the deep end, thinking just because they can come up with a possibility it must therefore be an imminent threat or even plausible
It's not a threat, it's just....very childish and stupid.
That might well be true. But when the Fifth Estate has degenerated to such a state, maybe that's the only thing that will get everyone's attention. A more sober exposition on the same theme in The Atlantic:
How the Left Lost Its Mind

Polemicists, conspiracists, and outright fabulists are feeding an alternative media landscape—where the implausibility of a claim is no bar to its acceptance.

Last month, Democratic Senator Ed Markey delivered what seemed like an explosive bit of news during an interview with CNN: A grand jury had been impaneled in New York, he said, to investigate the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with Russia.

The only problem: It wasn’t true.

The precise origins of the rumor are difficult to pin down, but it had been ricocheting around social media for days before Markey’s interview. ....
One kind of quickly gets the idea that The National Enquirer and Infowars are to be taken with liberal doses of salt. But supposedly reputable news organizations like CNN and the BBC and The New York Times? The parable about the little boy who cried wolf once too often springs to mind.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Steersman wrote:

Yea. Lotta people going off the deep end, thinking just because they can come up with a possibility it must therefore be an imminent threat or even plausible:

Just shooting themselves in the feet, further discrediting entire profession of journalism. Which really helps no one.

Bunch of Chicken Littles with neither heads nor wits about them. But even the NYTimes is apparently having to walk back some of their more memorable and untenable claims: New York Times Forced To Retract Longstanding '17 Intel Agencies' Lie About Russian Hacking. No doubt that Trump has told some whoppers himself but that one, which Clinton seems to have first retailed, seems to take the cake.
I wonder who's tweets got those Republicans shot up & set Trump's intended assassins off.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Someone wake Peez & tell him he can stop ignoring the carnage across the pond for a day or so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/avignon- ... ing-2017-7

At least 8 injured after gunmen open fire outside mosque in France

"Eight people were injured after two gunmen reportedly opened fire near a mosque in Avignon, France, on Sunday, local media are reporting.

Muslim worshippers were leaving the Arrahma mosque and gathering in the street around 10:30 p.m. local time when the men, one of whom had exited a car, began opening fire, according to regional French newspaper La Provence.

The men carried a rifle and a handgun, according to the newspaper.

Four people were injured at the scene, and four others in a nearby apartment were wounded from flying shrapnel. One of the victims included a 7-year-old girl, La Provence reported. Two of the eight victims were hospitalized, the paper said.

The attackers are still at large, the newspaper said. Investigators reportedly suspect the incident was sparked by a personal dispute and do not suspect it was related to terrorism."

Well, maybe. Tell him to keep one eye open until the names hit the press.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

On the first episode of the new Bill Nye show there was a debate on energy policy with Mark Z. Jacobson. Jacobson is a advocate for moving all energy production to a mix of solar, wind, or hydropower; (I'm trying to keep this short) a plan known as 100% renewables (typical example). I have not watched the show, but here is some background on Jacobson.

Paper refuting 100% renewables here. The kill shot: Jacobson claims he can bring the existing dams to a power level of 1,300 GW from their current 145.16 GW by installing additional turbines. Usually when confronted with your white paper's crazy assumptions you have a few canned responses.
  • [1]I should have been clearer with my assumptions, but limits on article length restricted how much I could pack in.
    [2]I know that the paper doesn't prove that this particular scenario is viable: that would be too much for any one paper to take on.
    [3]I don't know how viable my assumptions are, and I look forward to them being examined in several forthcoming papers by my team and by our critics.
    [4]Look, I'm banging too busy banging my 24 year old grad student to check their work.
Sadly, Jacobson chose none of the above. Here is a partisan take on the resulting twitter meltdown: http://imgur.com/gallery/JrcEE
&
A slightly less partisan forbes article.

With this in mind, this supercilious twit looks even more idiotic than usual... (HbomberGuy supports Jacobson).
[youtube][/youtube]

This fight(?) between Hbomberguy and Armored Skeptic is a discussion between two people who don't know anything about what they talk about. I understand Tfoot is too busy debunking outright scams to debunk technically feasible but totally impractical plans. Still I wish some youtubers that call themselves skeptics would, ya know, act skeptical. Or at the very least have done some research, or have some background in the field.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

The New York Times published Judy Miller.

For them to even mention fake news is a bad look.

The market for 'real' news may be too small to support anything outside the Financial Times readership.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

I've just watched an interview on the BBC breakfast show with one of the women that uncovered the Rochdale grooming gangs and the CPS prosecutor that finally did something about it. The BBC made a drama about it recently, called "Three Girls". In a 5 minute interview and a clip from the drama guess what words weren't uttered once?

Yep, nothing to do with islam. It's so frustrating, this refusal to criticise the religion of piss has to change. Long way to go though.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

The FTB/SJW anthem has landed...

[youtube][/youtube]

AllanW

Post by AllanW »

Oglebart wrote:I've just watched an interview on the BBC breakfast show with one of the women that uncovered the Rochdale grooming gangs and the CPS prosecutor that finally did something about it. <snip> Long way to go though.
There will be a 90 minute documentary about the grooming gangs shown on Monday night on BBC 1:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xdh9r

My understanding is that while they will say the abuse extends far beyond Rochdale / Rotherham, the true extent and number of victims / perpetrators will not be revealed (over 100 trials in 74 towns / cities to date; 31 major investigations ongoing; at least 50,000 girls - potentially double that). While the religion of peace will not be mentioned that is probably a result of media guidelines operating rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead; there is however no avoiding the factual reporting of the legal results of the cases concluded so far.

Information on concluded cases here;
http://www.pmclauth.com/sentenced/Groom ... ngs-Jailed

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Easy J wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Yea. Lotta people going off the deep end, thinking just because they can come up with a possibility it must therefore be an imminent threat or even plausible:
[.tweet][/tweet]

Just shooting themselves in the feet, further discrediting entire profession of journalism. Which really helps no one.

Bunch of Chicken Littles with neither heads nor wits about them. But even the NYTimes is apparently having to walk back some of their more memorable and untenable claims: New York Times Forced To Retract Longstanding '17 Intel Agencies' Lie About Russian Hacking. No doubt that Trump has told some whoppers himself but that one, which Clinton seems to have first retailed, seems to take the cake.
I wonder who's tweets got those Republicans shot up & set Trump's intended assassins off.
Yea. But sure a lot of crazies on all sides, although Islam clearly taking first, second, third, and all the way down to 75th place (at least):

Not sure about this quite depressing story though; case of white/westerner turning the tables in revenge, or a white Muslim reverting to type?
Muslim man who was attacked with acid wants to know why it's not labelled a terror attack

Mr Muhktar, 37, said he initially thought the attacker, described as white British, was conducting a “practical joke” when he knocked on the car window on 21 June.

“He just squirted this clear liquid over us, which I thought was water until my cousin started to scream,” he added. ....
"This business will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Oglebart wrote:I've just watched an interview on the BBC breakfast show with one of the women that uncovered the Rochdale grooming gangs and the CPS prosecutor that finally did something about it. The BBC made a drama about it recently, called "Three Girls". In a 5 minute interview and a clip from the drama guess what words weren't uttered once?

Yep, nothing to do with islam. It's so frustrating, this refusal to criticise the religion of piss has to change. Long way to go though.
Indeed. Was somewhat surprised, and encouraged, to see Nawaz make some effort to address the problem:
Maajid's Plea: We Must Discuss Rotherham Grooming Scandal - Or The Racists Will Win
Though I seem to recollect some pushback, some evidence that the Pakistani community wasn't all that enthused or supportive.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Rather excellent Spiked article on Orwell that reminds me of something that's cropped into my mind persistently over the years.

I think the fundamental problem is that human beings are accidentally over-engineered.

We are exquisitely sensitive beings in a brutal world.

And while we can fit into the mechanistic roles that both nature and our own societal contrivances thrust us into, we are uncomfortable, we feel we were meant for greater things. Everyone is a lost Prince or Princess, who feels deep down that some terrible mistake has been made in their placing.

I think, as the article discusses, this is the kernel of truth in the Left-wing sense that we are "equal" in some sense. Despite our obvious inequality in terms of capability and potential, we recognize the suffering in each others' eyes, etc.

And I think that so long as the Left has stuck to this core idea, they've always had a hearing, and have generally been able to convince people of the possibility of a kinder, gentler, more inclusive future.

The problem has been when the Left's drifted into grand, synthetic plans. Everyone can smell a mile off that the grand, synthetic plans of the Left are artifacts of repressed status seeking - occasions for holiness spiralling.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Oglebart wrote:I've just watched an interview on the BBC breakfast show with one of the women that uncovered the Rochdale grooming gangs and the CPS prosecutor that finally did something about it. The BBC made a drama about it recently, called "Three Girls". In a 5 minute interview and a clip from the drama guess what words weren't uttered once?

Just watched the same subject being discussed on the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire show which comes immediately after the Breakfast News every morning. One of the guests was 'Laura' a victim of the Rochdale Muslim rape gangs, her identity was kept hidden and in her testimony there was a moment where she stopped herself mid sentence, paused and then said "Asian Men" It was so obvious that she had been primed not to mention the religion. But that's the BBC all over, they will hardy ever mention Islam unless it is in a positive sense, the nearest they came to mentioning the religion was when the presenter said, "Asian men of predominantly Pakistani background"

It isn't just the BBC but all the TV networks here in the UK are very reluctant to name the elephant in the room when reporting on these Muslim rape gangs. Give them a Peado priest though and they're all over it like flies on shit.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

gurugeorge wrote:Rather excellent Spiked article on Orwell that reminds me of something that's cropped into my mind persistently over the years.

I think the fundamental problem is that human beings are accidentally over-engineered.

We are exquisitely sensitive beings in a brutal world.

And while we can fit into the mechanistic roles that both nature and our own societal contrivances thrust us into, we are uncomfortable, we feel we were meant for greater things. Everyone is a lost Prince or Princess, who feels deep down that some terrible mistake has been made in their placing.

I think, as the article discusses, this is the kernel of truth in the Left-wing sense that we are "equal" in some sense. Despite our obvious inequality in terms of capability and potential, we recognize the suffering in each others' eyes, etc.

And I think that so long as the Left has stuck to this core idea, they've always had a hearing, and have generally been able to convince people of the possibility of a kinder, gentler, more inclusive future.

The problem has been when the Left's drifted into grand, synthetic plans. Everyone can smell a mile off that the grand, synthetic plans of the Left are artifacts of repressed status seeking - occasions for holiness spiralling.
Good article on Orwell. I suspect the sense that a terrible mistake has been made is part of consciousness. The universe will have its little joke on us.

feathers

Post by feathers »

A propos of nothing in particular, but I followed this image search as suggested by Jerry Coyne and got...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 8de1fb.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:A propos of nothing in particular, but I followed this image search as suggested by Jerry Coyne and got...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 8de1fb.jpg
All well, shapely and good, but I don't get Coyne's endorsement of Zionism. Zionism doesn't just "support the proposition of a Jewish homeland". It supports the illegal seizure of land in Palestine based on the religious claim that G-d gave Israel to the Jewish people. Very un-Coyne like. Add to that, that Zionism also supports the illegal expansion into Palestinian zones and the bulldozing of Palestinian homes to make way for Jewish settlements. Why does Jerry seem so unquestioningly committed to this? I find it baffling.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:All well, shapely and good, but I don't get Coyne's endorsement of Zionism. Zionism doesn't just "support the proposition of a Jewish homeland". It supports the illegal seizure of land in Palestine based on the religious claim that G-d gave Israel to the Jewish people. Very un-Coyne like. Add to that, that Zionism also supports the illegal expansion into Palestinian zones and the bulldozing of Palestinian homes to make way for Jewish settlements. Why does Jerry seem so unquestioningly committed to this? I find it baffling.
Yeah, I never engage in that discussion but he does have a very blind spot there. As much as I abhor Hezbollah and dislike the vitriolic antisemitic discourse under Palestinians, how does that justify illegal settlements or blowing up houses of presumed terrorists' families?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Really? wrote:Easy link for guest's post about the Evergreen administrator's guest post to the Huffington Post that ordinarily hosts only racist bullshit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/595 ... 78efd98b0e

Ralph Retort post about how Naima Lowe is clearly a terrible racist:

http://theralphretort.com/meet-the-raci ... ts-601017/
The MSM, apart from the odd contrary opinion in HuffPo, are ignoring Evergreen. The reason? It neatly sums up the end point (or more ominously, one of the points on the way to fuck knows where) that po-mo SJWs are taking academia.

Yes, I realise saying "the MSM are ignoring..." is a conspiracy trope, but I searched the Guardian for stories about Evergreen, and it turned up zilch. CNN have hardly covered it, AFAIK. While the online SJW media such as Salon, Buzzfeed, etc. are very quiet.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

This made me giggle. In Blighty, they don't bother giving you massive doses of anaesthetic for having your teeth pulled out. No wonder health costs in the US are so high. Lol.

"Are they going to fix my tongue...."

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:All well, shapely and good, but I don't get Coyne's endorsement of Zionism. Zionism doesn't just "support the proposition of a Jewish homeland". It supports the illegal seizure of land in Palestine based on the religious claim that G-d gave Israel to the Jewish people. Very un-Coyne like. Add to that, that Zionism also supports the illegal expansion into Palestinian zones and the bulldozing of Palestinian homes to make way for Jewish settlements. Why does Jerry seem so unquestioningly committed to this? I find it baffling.
Yeah, I never engage in that discussion but he does have a very blind spot there. As much as I abhor Hezbollah and dislike the vitriolic antisemitic discourse under Palestinians, how does that justify illegal settlements or blowing up houses of presumed terrorists' families?
Tribalism/identity politics. It happens even to the best of us. Even many Turks who hate Erdogan with a passion and are completely secularized hate the Kurds and deny the Armenian genocide.

John D

Post by John D »

CommanderTuvok wrote:This made me giggle. In Blighty, they don't bother giving you massive doses of anaesthetic for having your teeth pulled out. No wonder health costs in the US are so high. Lol.

"Are they going to fix my tongue...."

Have you seen this???

[youtube][/youtube]

John D

Post by John D »

In the "good old days" they only gave a local for most tooth extractions. Even recently I had some work done to extend my gums and this was done with only a local (and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life).

Within the last 10 years or so our docs are putting people "lightly under sedation" for tooth extractions and such. Hell, they used to do colonoscopy with no anesthetic in the "good old days." Thankfully, they knock you out for colonoscopy now. This does give family members and opportunity to witness their loved one behaving in a bizarre fashion.

I think they have gotten really good at light sedation. They can do it with good reliability and almost no risk to the patient. It promotes better outcomes in many ways because of the reduced stress reaction.

There have been studies on sedation. Especially in cases of serious operations, sedation not only provides comfort for the patient, it also dramatically improves recovery.... something related to the biological stress reaction... or some such thing.

PS - our health care is expensive for many reasons... and I doubt it has much to do with sedation. let's see.... overpriced drugs, excessive redundant testing, underutilized facilities, over-paid doctors, excessive paperwork and bureaucracy, reliance on high priced emergency care, no price competition between hospitals, a focus on lawsuits rather than care, excessive "heroic" measures such as giant neonatal costs........

John D

Post by John D »

Wow... shit. This Youtuber "rageafterstorm" is literally Hitler. Youtube took down this post of hers and she is getting lots of coverage from other Youtubers now. Interesting stuff.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Every nation or ethnic group or religion or ideology on Earth has committed its share of atrocities. There are no Good Guys, only evil and lesser evils. And the lesser evil is often the most rational, not the most well-intentioned.

People, even clever, well-read, compassionate ones, find it hard to cope with a universe with no white hats and black hats, but only different shades of grey. It's far easier to identify with a group and make sense of reality according to a black and white scheme.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:Every nation or ethnic group or religion or ideology on Earth has committed its share of atrocities. There are no Good Guys, only evil and lesser evils. And the lesser evil is often the most rational, not the most well-intentioned.

People, even clever, well-read, compassionate ones, find it hard to cope with a universe with no white hats and black hats, but only different shades of grey. It's far easier to identify with a group and make sense of reality according to a black and white scheme.
The unfortunate thing is though, that rational fence-sitting is not really an option, in our social world you have to side with somebody or you get squished, and all you can feasibly do is side with the slightly-less-black hats or slightly-whiter hats.

The real drivers are beneath the surface - status, sex, etc., and most of our mental processing is "just in time" to get to peaks on the fitness landscape wrt those. And often reason is used to rationalize that, rather than to figure out the truth.

But it couldn't really be any other way, since reason takes time (and the luxury of leisure). Not that I wholly agree with some of the philosophical category errors made in the following video, but it speaks to what I'm talking about here:-

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

We haven't heard from Brive in a while.

And there were some complaints about a man's behaviour at a boxing match.

I'm not saying these things are related...but...

John D

Post by John D »

Gad Saad has one of my favorite Frenchmen on his webcast. Pascal Boyer wrote a book that changed much of my thinking... and not too many books do that. The book is "Religion Explained". Anyway..... Boyer is fantastic in my opinion.

[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John D wrote:Wow... shit. This Youtuber "rageafterstorm" is literally Hitler. Youtube took down this post of hers and she is getting lots of coverage from other Youtubers now. Interesting stuff.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
[youtube][/youtube]
Yup, tribalism is totes a black issue. White people don't succumb to tribalism at all. Not oooooone iota.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

What do you know. Women are better able to differentiate colors.
Rods-Cones Hunter-Gather society.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ision-sex/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
John D wrote:Wow... shit. This Youtuber "rageafterstorm" is literally Hitler. Youtube took down this post of hers and she is getting lots of coverage from other Youtubers now. Interesting stuff.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
[youtube][/youtube]
Yup, tribalism is totes a black issue. White people don't succumb to tribalism at all. Not oooooone iota.
Ironically enough believing that your group isn't tribalistic is...tribalism.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Ironically enough believing that your group isn't tribalistic is...tribalism.

My take is that she is a naive kid who has only got any profile because she is cute. Her points were never very smart or original, and it doesn't surprise me to see she has aligned herself with alt-right

This is an interesting response:

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:What do you know. Women are better able to differentiate colors.
So they're all women of colour?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote:Have you seen this???[youtube][youtube]
I absolutely lost my shit at the "chocolate or funfetti" part. I was braying that loud, both of my hounds started to howl in sympathy, we woke my GF and now we're all in the doghouse.

I've got no idea why it's so funny to me but the "funfetti" part is only getting better the more I watch it!

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Is Rage the girl Zinny always wanted to be?

... they could do a reboot of the Patty Duke Show.

Meet Rage, who's lived most everywhere,
From SJ Land to Berlin Square
But Zinny's only seen through sights
A girl can aim from Brooklyn Heights
What a crazy pair!

But they're cousins,
Identical cousins all the way.
One pair of matching bookends,
Different as night and day.

Where Rage adores a minuet,
The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,
Our Zinny loves to rock and roll,
Her hot dog makes her take control --
What a wild duet!

Still, they're cousins,
Identical cousins and you'll find,
They laugh alike, they smirk alike,
At times they even talk alt-reich --
You can lose your mind,
When cousins are two of a kind.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

feathers wrote:
deLurch wrote:What do you know. Women are better able to differentiate colors.
So they're all women of colour?
At the risk of missing the joke, other research (mentioned in the link-to article) has shown that men have greater sensitivity to color, meaning that men are better able to detect when something isn't somewhere between black and white.

Note that the finding of sex differences in color perception is not very surprising, as some of the most important genes for color vision are on the sex chromosome, leading to, for example, the much higher rate of color-blindness in males.

But the sex-linked trade-off between discrimination and sensitivity is new (to me) and rather cool. If you wanted to go full Becky Watson on this, make note that women are biased towards cones (hence, the shape of bras in the 1950s and 1960s), while men, obviously, are biased towards rods.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Billie from Ockham wrote:while men, obviously, are biased towards rods

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:That might be difficult to prove that case.

But it might be OK to start asking if there is a link correlation between such individuals and projection.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/29/male- ... hild-porn/

https://imgoat.com/uploads/3e75ff09dd/27936.png

https://imgoat.com/uploads/3e75ff09dd/27937.png
The Pussy-Grabber-In-Chief wrote:“I’ve known Jeff [convicted pedophile Jeffery Epstein] for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

Really?

Post by Really? »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

She looks like what would result if Becky and Zinnia created a child.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

#32 Rat wrote:Lindy West has an op ed in The New York Times (archive) about the kerfuffle at Vidcon and free speech.

Bolding mine.
Lindy West wrote:...Anita Sarkeesian took the stage for a panel on women’s experiences online, only to find the first two rows of seats stacked with her online harassers, leering up at her, filming her on their phones.
Linda's just jealous no one is leering at her up close. The closest she got was NASA did a fly-by of her.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

#32 Rat wrote:On the first episode of the new Bill Nye show there was a debate on energy policy with Mark Z. Jacobson. Jacobson is a advocate for moving all energy production to a mix of solar, wind, or hydropower; (I'm trying to keep this short) a plan known as 100% renewables (typical example). I have not watched the show, but here is some background on Jacobson.

Paper refuting 100% renewables here. The kill shot: Jacobson claims he can bring the existing dams to a power level of 1,300 GW from their current 145.16 GW by installing additional turbines. Usually when confronted with your white paper's crazy assumptions you have a few canned responses.
  • [1]I should have been clearer with my assumptions, but limits on article length restricted how much I could pack in.
    [2]I know that the paper doesn't prove that this particular scenario is viable: that would be too much for any one paper to take on.
    [3]I don't know how viable my assumptions are, and I look forward to them being examined in several forthcoming papers by my team and by our critics.
    [4]Look, I'm banging too busy banging my 24 year old grad student to check their work.
Sadly, Jacobson chose none of the above. Here is a partisan take on the resulting twitter meltdown: http://imgur.com/gallery/JrcEE
&

With this in mind, this supercilious twit looks even more idiotic than usual... (HbomberGuy supports Jacobson).
[youtube][/youtube]

This fight(?) between Hbomberguy and Armored Skeptic is a discussion between two people who don't know anything about what they talk about. I understand Tfoot is too busy debunking outright scams to debunk technically feasible but totally impractical plans. Still I wish some youtubers that call themselves skeptics would, ya know, act skeptical. Or at the very least have done some research, or have some background in the field.
That paper doesn't say it couldn't be done eventually , just not as fast or as cheap as Jacobson claims. The authors, in fact, have elsewhere proposed an 80% non-carbon target but taking a different approach.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Linda's just jealous no one is leering at her up close. The closest she got was NASA did a fly-by of her.
This is a popular but incorrect claim, probably caused by some overlap in certain names and the agency involved. What really happened is that Lindy West was not in her predicted location on the evening (UTC) of December 8th, 1990, which caused the sling-shot effect on the spacecraft Galileo to be insufficient for the planned trip to Jupiter. This forced NASA to delay and then repeat the process exactly two years later (plus or minus five hours). Fortunately, this time Ms West was in correct location, Galileo gained more than 8000 mph, and the rest is Jovian history.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DrokkIt wrote:This is an interesting response:
[youtube][/youtube]
1. The people that responded flags as skeptics, I don't really view as skeptics. They are more political/social commentators. Mostly of the Anti-SJW variety.

I don't understand why all the Anti-SJWs are now being called skeptics. Maybe because there has been such a vacuum since the fall of the skeptic movement that people are seeking to place the mantels on someone. Perhaps because in a crazy crazy world those individuals are comparatively making the most sense.

2. Taking down the ideology of the "Alt-Right" is useless. The term is very poorly defined. It is fluff. It very loosely consists of people who were not happy with the Republican party as it was. And some white nationalists. And the left, taking advantage of the poor definition of the Alt-Right opted to brand them all as white supremacists.

Taking down the "Alt-Right" is only useful for political banner waving & motivation. If you really want to take down the intellectual failings you see, you have to identify poor stances & arguments and skewer those ideas. Claiming that someone you oppose has dirt on them from the person standing next to them isn't going to get you anywhere intellectually.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Really? wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

She looks like what would result if Becky and Zinnia created a child.
I don't think you can get preggers the way Zinnia likes it...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Open question:
Is the word gender even a scientific term at this point? Or is it being used & defined differently by various fields of study (e.g. biology, psychology, women's studies).

Politically & socially I see movements trying to shoehorn their views of gender into the places where people really want to know what biological sex someone is. As in, what are the genitals of the person you will be sharing a locker room with?

If gender has expanded to 57... 75+ however many categorizations, then it fails to be useful in any way.

You can't use the 57 genders to know what the genitals of the person wanting to use the locker room are.

You can't quickly and easily identify which of the 57 genders a person is just by looking at them.

You can't use the 57+ genders to identify how to great or talk about a person (Salutations & pronouns).

A doctor can't use the 57+ genders to identify if someone needs to see a gynecologist, or needs a different level of drugs for a prescription, or know if they might need a pregnancy test, or estimate if they are in a healthy range of body fat percentage.

Police can't use the 57+ genders to help identify a suspect.

You can't even use the 57+ genders to cut down the selection of swimsuits that would look decent on you in half.

Mega-multi-gender theories are a failed concept because they are useless. They turn simple problems into complex unknowable situations.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. There is one potential value. Knowing who the crazy fuckers are to steer clear of.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Really? wrote: She looks like what would result if Becky and Zinnia created a child.

Fucking Hell !! :? .. Kill them now just in case.

http://i.imgur.com/Je0Nz7W.png
http://i.imgur.com/d4x4hKa.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Interesting interview series from Vanity Fair on various subjects, and a nice break from all the usual politics discussed here:

http://video.vanityfair.com/watch/the-n ... ey-in-2016

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Car driven into crowd near Boston Logan:

No details yet, apart from people injured.

And Happy Fifth Birthday to all you Shitlord Pitlord!

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

#32 Rat wrote:On the first episode of the new Bill Nye show there was a debate on energy policy with Mark Z. Jacobson. Jacobson is a advocate for moving all energy production to a mix of solar, wind, or hydropower; (I'm trying to keep this short) a plan known as 100% renewables (typical example). I have not watched the show, but here is some background on Jacobson.

&

[youtube][/youtube]

Sigh. Unfortunately this entire debate is taking place at an idealized level which completely ignores numerous practical issues - issues which effectively preclude building any sort of grid with such a high percentage of intermittent power generation given the current state of technology.

We're already starting to see grid stability issues with a relatively low percentage of power generation coming from distributed solar. So this is definitely not an academic concern.

Even assuming we are able to solve all the power engineering problems - and it isn't at all clear we can - the only way we could possibly implement such a thing is with the addition of a massive distributed computer network of sophisticated control nodes. Not only is the scale of such a network unprecedented, the speed with which it would have to operate is as well. And even if we could build it, we don't know how to secure it.

This isn't to say that progress isn't being made. For example, one of the key issues that has to be addressed is the potential for catastrophic cascade failures with distributed solar: A branch line cuts out for whatever reason. The loss of load causes voltage to spike. Solar inverters detect this and shut down in an expanding cascade. The loss of capacity causes voltage to drop, causing even more inverters to shut down.

Some fairly new research at NREL has provided a possible solution to this problem: Virtual Oscillator Controls. The basic idea is instead of having inverters blindly push out as much energy as they can, and cut out if they sense the grid is in trouble, have them respond by actively pushing against any instability they detect. This is done through the use of software in the inverters that implements a nonlinear dead-zone oscillator model.

https://www.nrel.gov/grid/virtual-oscil ... trols.html

The idea behind this comes from the observation that weakly coupled oscillators tend to synchronize with each other, and once synchronized, tend to stay in sync. There are lots of videos demonstrating this phenomenon with metronomes and whatnot, e.g.,

The result is that solar systems actually end up stabilizing the grid, rather than destabilizing it.

Two things about this scheme make it especially interesting: First, it apparently can be retrofitted into a significant number of existing inverters via a softtware update. Second, it only relies on local observation of grid conditions by each system; no central control is required. This makes it difficult to attack.

Of course this won't get us anywhere near the elimination of non-renewable base generation sources. But it's a practical step in the right direction, as opposed to these theoretical discussions that solve nothing.

Billie from Ockham

Like most other social categories, "gender" can be useful because it allows us to use social scripts (schemas) to guide our behavior in novel situations. My guess is that I use about six different values for gender when choosing how to interact with a new person.

What isn't useful is the other person's self-professed gender. Luckily, before they've gotten very far in telling me what they are, I've already classified them as a Type-F3 (i.e., nutjob with tits) or Type-M3 (i.e., nutjob with penis), so I'm already running away.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:But the sex-linked trade-off between discrimination and sensitivity is new (to me) and rathhttp://sophisticatedpair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Madonna.jpger cool. If you wanted to go full Becky Watson on this, make note that women are biased towards cones (hence, the shape of bras in the 1950s and 1960s), while men, obviously, are biased towards rods.
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... caster.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Lsuoma wrote:Car driven into crowd near Boston Logan:

No details yet, apart from people injured.

And Happy Fifth Birthday to all you Shitlord Pitlord!
Most cabbies are white Midwesterners, so let's reserve judgment.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Not sure there is a genuine mathematical ability among autistics - people just don't talk about autistics with shitty mathematical skills because crap maths is the least of their problems.

I suspect mathematical ability is a right skewed distribution with a mode lower than the general population and a small number of savants.

Anyway:
Welcome to the Genetics of Mathematical Ability and Autism study

We will ask you to complete a form and a couple of brief online tests.

REGISTER
Thank you for considering taking part in our research project. The aim of this study is to identify changes in the human DNA and how it is read that contribute to autism and/or mathematical ability. This research project aims to understand whether individuals diagnosed with autism have specific variations in their genes that contribute to both autism and mathematical ability.
In order to understand mathematical talent and autism, we must identify the differences between talented individuals with and without autism.
Additional information is available in the Participant Information Sheet. Please read this before continuing.
Who can take part?
Anyone who is pursuing or has obtained a degree in mathematical sciences, theoretical physics, statistics, computational sciences or other mathematically related subjects from specific universities is eligible to participate. We are looking for people who have a clinical diagnosis of autism. We are also looking for individuals with a maths background as described above but with no diagnosis of autism or immediate family history of autism. This group of participants is important to make genetic comparisons.
Important Information
If you agree to participate in this study, we will ask you to register and complete questionnaires. This should take approximately 20 – 30 minutes. We will then send you a consent form and a saliva kit from which we will extract DNA. We ask you to return the packet to us (using the provided prepaid envelope) as soon as possible.
Please allow 2-3 weeks from the moment of registration for the research packet to arrive. If you do not receive the packet by that time, please contact us at maths@medschl.cam.ac.uk

https://maths.autismresearchcentre.net

(Sorry Steers, you need DNA to qualify).

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Like most other social categories, "gender" can be useful because it allows us to use social scripts (schemas) to guide our behavior in novel situations. My guess is that I use about six different values for gender when choosing how to interact with a new person.

What isn't useful is the other person's self-professed gender. Luckily, before they've gotten very far in telling me what they are, I've already classified them as a Type-F3 (i.e., nutjob with tits) or Type-M3 (i.e., nutjob with penis), so I'm already running away.
Strap yourself in, wall of (probable) bullshit off the starboard bow...

"Gender" resides between the ears, is an entirely personal value/descriptor and if the Tumblr/SJW cretins are to be believed, it's as malleable and interchangeable as your underpants. Additionally, just like religion, it has somehow attained an almost unassailable status (a veritable holy cow - not a Lindy West joke, honest!) and god help you if you disagree.

With the above in mind, and this is my personal opinion, who gives two squirts of piss how you identify? You're talking about an abstract concept which you've concocted out of Tumblr posts, unicorn farts and knicker elastic. Go fuck yourself and take your "gender" with you. The holier the cow, the more fun it is to slaughter.

Only two genders.

Deal with it.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/are-there-mor ... 382497.png

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Shatterface wrote:Not sure there is a genuine mathematical ability among autistics - people just don't talk about autistics with shitty mathematical skills because crap maths is the least of their problems.
There's also the possibility that a high-functioning autistic person would just use the time others spend socializing to develop some skill like math. That they're not innately better at it, but they've just got time to burn. Seems plausible to me.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Shatterface wrote:Not sure there is a genuine mathematical ability among autistics - people just don't talk about autistics with shitty mathematical skills because crap maths is the least of their problems.

I suspect mathematical ability is a right skewed distribution with a mode lower than the general population and a small number of savants.

Anyway:
Welcome to the Genetics of Mathematical Ability and Autism study

We will ask you to complete a form and a couple of brief online tests.

REGISTER
Thank you for considering taking part in our research project. The aim of this study is to identify changes in the human DNA and how it is read that contribute to autism and/or mathematical ability. This research project aims to understand whether individuals diagnosed with autism have specific variations in their genes that contribute to both autism and mathematical ability.
In order to understand mathematical talent and autism, we must identify the differences between talented individuals with and without autism.
Additional information is available in the Participant Information Sheet. Please read this before continuing.
Who can take part?
Anyone who is pursuing or has obtained a degree in mathematical sciences, theoretical physics, statistics, computational sciences or other mathematically related subjects from specific universities is eligible to participate. We are looking for people who have a clinical diagnosis of autism. We are also looking for individuals with a maths background as described above but with no diagnosis of autism or immediate family history of autism. This group of participants is important to make genetic comparisons.
Important Information
If you agree to participate in this study, we will ask you to register and complete questionnaires. This should take approximately 20 – 30 minutes. We will then send you a consent form and a saliva kit from which we will extract DNA. We ask you to return the packet to us (using the provided prepaid envelope) as soon as possible.
Please allow 2-3 weeks from the moment of registration for the research packet to arrive. If you do not receive the packet by that time, please contact us at maths@medschl.cam.ac.uk

https://maths.autismresearchcentre.net

(Sorry Steers, you need DNA to qualify).
You might enjoy this blog post by Kevin Mitchell on a possible link between synaesthesia and autism in regard to savantism. Its a 2011 blog post though and i have no idea where is the research on the subject in 2017.

http://www.wiringthebrain.com/2011/06/s ... m.html?m=0

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

For Steersman naturally