Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:I'd tax money transfers from America to Mexico.
Seems more than a little justification for the idea:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

My husband hated the movie Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. He also thinks Rick & Morty is stupid, and calls it Ren & Stimpy.

This might be grounds for divorce.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Steersman wrote:
screwtape wrote:Do Americans not instantly understand that the 20% tax on Mexican imports means that they are paying for The Wall rather than Mexicans? If this is 'Mexico will pay for the wall' then I need to go and relearn the syntax of my mother tongue.
I'm certainly no pro-from-Dover when it comes to economics - the dismal science (if you took all the world's economists and laid them end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion) - but my understanding is that, at least to some extent, if Mexico wanted to remain competitive, they would have to lower their prices. Ergo, they pay for the wall, or at least a large portion.

But not entirely sure that the wall and, in particular, deportations are the best solution; some justification for arguing that the price of food crops for Americans - and Canadians - is lower because of cheap "undocumented" immigrant labour. Might be wiser to accept higher prices and pay the workers a decent wage. However, there's more than a little justification for the argument that if a country can't or won't defend its borders then it hardly deserves to be called one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 2aaa15.jpg
Is that the same Ronald Reagan that granted amnesty to all sorts of illegals?

Steersman

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:Mexico's leader dude has cancelled his visit after getting Twitter trolled by trump today.
So sad:

Although, as a minor quibble, Americans might not have to spend as much on their war on drugs, and deal with sources in Mexico, if they weren't quite as dogmatic about the market for them in their own back yard. One would have thought they would have learned their lesson from Prohibition.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>

But not entirely sure that the wall and, in particular, deportations are the best solution; some justification for arguing that the price of food crops for Americans - and Canadians - is lower because of cheap "undocumented" immigrant labour. Might be wiser to accept higher prices and pay the workers a decent wage. However, there's more than a little justification for the argument that if a country can't or won't defend its borders then it hardly deserves to be called one:

[.img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 2aaa15.jpg[/img]
Is that the same Ronald Reagan that granted amnesty to all sorts of illegals?
Might well have been - before my time, or at least before I started paying close attention to American politics. You have something to flesh out the accusation? But even if Reagan abandoned the principle, or found "reason" to temper it, not sure that that really refutes it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

katamari Damassi wrote:My husband hated the movie Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. He also thinks Rick & Morty is stupid, and calls it Ren & Stimpy.
Don't take the shit from him. Fuck him in the ass.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Keating wrote:Guess it means new thread, and not reaching page 1488.
Dang! And I was hoping it might provide a pretext to continue an important conversation with Damion on the topic ;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote: :-) A rich vein of "humour", even if of a gallows variety, in mocking and criticising Islam and Muslims: "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions", and Islam is particularly "unintelligible" - being charitable.
I'm currently reading "The people Vs Muhammad" (J.K. Sheindlin) and even though it's billed as a "psychological analysis of the prophet" (diseased dog turds be upon him), it reads more like a troll-fest, is littered with spelling errors (self published y'see) and is actually very funny. It might just be the best accidental-comedy I've read in years!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2662 ... l-analysis
Looks interesting - certainly the bill of particulars against Muhammad is long enough to condemn any mere mortal a dozen times over. Read Ibn Warraq's Why I'm Not a Muslim (highly recommended; PDF available on the Net which is where I saw it though I plan to purchase a copy just on general principles) some time ago, and Warraq makes pretty much the same case: Muhammad was a political opportunist if not a fucking psychotic. Never ceases to amaze me that he's someone any Muslims think should be emulated much less venerated:

Though Wikipedia at least can apparently find no actual source, even if it seems to match closely Atatürk's views.
Bhurzum wrote:Small wonder the "muslim world" are going mental about it!
Good - maybe they'll get the picture that Islam really has no place at all in Western democracies. But I wonder, any particularly descriptive or relevant cases of them doing that? Never miss an opportunity to twist the knife, I say. :-)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Trump has said that "we" should have nicked Iraq's oil while "we" had the chance - but there might be a second opportunity.

I think he needs to understand the concept of "inside thoughts".

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

How come the Women's March wasn't dominated by transwomen like every other feminist cause in the last five years?

Have oppression hierarchies shifted again? I didn't get the memo.

A year ago pussy hats would have been branded transexclusionary if not transphobic for identifying the female gender with front-bottoms.

And why weren't BLM disrupting the event like they did last year with gay pride events?

Keating

Post by Keating »

deLurch wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:My husband hated the movie Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. He also thinks Rick & Morty is stupid, and calls it Ren & Stimpy.
Don't take the shit from him. Fuck him in the ass.
I can't say I know much about the ways of gays, but this seems an ideal way to take shit from him.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Eye saw this earlier. :twatson:

[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Eye saw this earlier. :twatson:

[youtube][/youtube]
Sock it to him!

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Milo's last two lectures were a bit lacklustre, but he's back on form with last night's thunderous offering.

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Great news! FTB is only $126 short of their gofundme goal. Randazza will get paid! Carrier will lose a case that emboldens others to call him a creepy sexual harasser!
19,874 of $20k goal
https://www.gofundme.com/defense-vs-carrier-slapp

Notable comments from donors:
Sandi Spires
1 day ago
Pity that Carrier turned out to be such a jerk! He did some good academic work. Good luck & stay strong.
Barbara Miller
1 day ago
Chipping in to help discourage Carrier from continuing his legal asshattery.
Quentin Long
1 day ago
Streisand Effect is not Carrier's friend.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Really? wrote:Great news! FTB is only $126 short of their gofundme goal. Randazza will get paid! Carrier will lose a case that emboldens others to call him a creepy sexual harasser!
But they're kind of limping across the finish line. Most of the people who were really gung ho to fund it blew their wads on the first day. It's kind of ground down to a trickle from then. Myers was wise to set it at only 20K. He might not have made it to 30. None of this speaks well to the prospect of long term funding when the big money starts flowing.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Something I just read and had not considered: a border wall with Mexico would have to be 2000 miles (3200 km) long, which would have unknown and potentially disastrous effect on wildlife. Something to consider.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Seems not unreasonable; from Wikipedia:
The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99–603, 100 Stat. 3445, enacted November 6, 1986, also known as the Simpson–Mazzoli Act, signed into law by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986, is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law. The Act:
  • required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status;
  • made it illegal to hire or recruit illegal immigrants knowingly;
  • legalized certain seasonal agricultural illegal immigrants, and;
  • legalized illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously with the penalty of a fine, back taxes due, and admission of guilt; candidates were required to prove that they were not guilty of crimes, that they were in the country before January 1, 1982, and that they possessed minimal knowledge about U.S. history, government, and the English language.
At the time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that about four million illegal immigrants would apply for legal status through the act and that roughly half of them would be eligible
But I wonder whether there were any further developments, any extensions - all of those "undocumented migrants" who "arrived" after 1982 are presumably up the creek. In any case, nothing I see there constitutes anything in the way of an indictment of Reagan, nor any repudiation by him of that principle he had asserted.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:
Really? wrote:Great news! FTB is only $126 short of their gofundme goal. Randazza will get paid! Carrier will lose a case that emboldens others to call him a creepy sexual harasser!
But they're kind of limping across the finish line. Most of the people who were really gung ho to fund it blew their wads on the first day. It's kind of ground down to a trickle from then. Myers was wise to set it at only 20K. He might not have made it to 30. None of this speaks well to the prospect of long term funding when the big money starts flowing.

Not "Great News"

Carrier was always going to lose. The question was whether he couple cripple a couple of cripples along the way. This does not bode well.

Still there are lolz to be had ......

http://i.imgur.com/utwaVbC.png

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Hunt wrote:Something I just read and had not considered: a border wall with Mexico would have to be 2000 miles (3200 km) long, which would have unknown and potentially disastrous effect on wildlife. Something to consider.
Your undocumented illegal immigrant foxes and coyotes and other varmints will not be able to come up and rape and kill and eat our innocent rabbits and chickens. And get free veterinary care.

And stuff.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Za-zen wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:[.youtube][/youtube]
Didn't bother watching to the end, on account of the fact that Pakman got suckered by a reversed bit of footage. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh for fuck sake that presenter is an asshole. First off from the camera angle you can't see who it was Trump was addresing. And yes Mrs Trump's face did make a gear shift, who knows what the cause of that was in her head. Perhaps she just realized in that moment, with all the SS bodygaurds she was going to have on her ass for the next four years, she wasn't going to get to fuck her personal trainer anymore.
Indeed. This certainly doesn't suggest anything in the way of an imminent collapse to their marriage:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Not "Great News"

Carrier was always going to lose. The question was whether he couple cripple a couple of cripples along the way. This does not bode well.

Still there are lolz to be had ......

http://i.imgur.com/utwaVbC.png
Little-known woman lies about sexual harassment in prominent publication = 60k

Series of blogs and formerly respectable skeptic convention spread word about sexual harassment = 20k

This is just more proof that we live in a deeply misogynist society in which men are taught to hate women.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Hunt wrote:Something I just read and had not considered: a border wall with Mexico would have to be 2000 miles (3200 km) long, which would have unknown and potentially disastrous effect on wildlife. Something to consider.
Your undocumented illegal immigrant foxes and coyotes and other varmints will not be able to come up and rape and kill and eat our innocent rabbits and chickens. And get free veterinary care.

And stuff.
Speciation++

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

feathers wrote:
Steersman wrote:Not sure how accurate this is but seems like a good idea in general:
[.img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2-IQ5MWIAAqi86.jpg[/img]
That's the problem, Merricuns don't think it's a good idea. Anything that applies "in general" is communism, do you hear? Bad government! Bad bad government!
Yea - bit of hysteria, moral panic over the idea, although the size of government might suggest otherwise. But had a conversation sometime back - just before the election - on the related concept of health care that illustrated a somewhat unreasonable fear of any goverment program for it:

Complex issue, and virtually any system can be scammed or broken. But some justification for consistent and uniform standards and delivery system - seem to recollect reading of the early days of railways in Britain where every company had its own standards, and track widths, with the inevitable disasters.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Here is a chimpanzee fucking a frog in the mouth. Your argument is invalid.

[youtube][/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Shatterface wrote:How come the Women's March wasn't dominated by transwomen like every other feminist cause in the last five years?

Have oppression hierarchies shifted again? I didn't get the memo.

A year ago pussy hats would have been branded transexclusionary if not transphobic for identifying the female gender with front-bottoms.

And why weren't BLM disrupting the event like they did last year with gay pride events?
I think you'll find answers in Harry Frankfurt's "On Bullshit", which distinguishes a lie as being crafted to pass muster as truth, whereas a bullshitter is indifferent to xir poor workmynship being caught-- so long as the bullshitter stays half a step ahead of being caught-up-to.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

fuzzy wrote:Here is a chimpanzee fucking a frog in the mouth. Your argument is invalid.

[youtube][/youtube]
That is some good frogging.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Here is a chimpanzee fucking a frog in the mouth. Your argument is invalid.

[youtube][/youtube]
That is some good frogging.
Leave the French alone!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure that the Mykeru that posts on the Ralph Retort site is the same one that we all have come to know and love.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm not sure that the Mykeru that posts on the Ralph Retort site is the same one that we all have come to know and love.
I doubt it too - wrong logo but links back to mykeruMedia description on disqus.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Islamic Terrorists

Which president described them thus? Trump or Obama ...

"We are fighting sneaky rats right now that are sick and demented. And we’re going to win"

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:Islamic Terrorists

Which president described them thus? Trump or Obama ...

"We are fighting sneaky rats right now that are sick and demented. And we’re going to win"
And you set a sneaky rat to catch a sneaky rat.

Keating

Post by Keating »

This seems to be the humanitarian argument for The Wall:

[youtube][/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote: Indeed. Apropos of Syria, something further from Tulsi Gabbard, hot off the press:
Tulsi Gabbard Discusses Meeting Bashar al-Assad: Syrians Beg U.S. Not To Support "So-Called Rebel Groups" And Terrorists ....
No one there with clean hands but seems rather clear that Assad has the higher moral ground.
He's just the lesser evil, or better yet the lesser threat. No moral high ground, but at least he's not trying to create a Salafi theocracy in Syria. He's a bastard, a real fascist leader (that's what they look like, not like Trump) but he's the only one who can keep the country from collapsing outright or turning into the Islamic State 2: Electric Boogaloo. Even the Kurds are willing to parlay with him. He's not come to power by crushing a democracy hostile to the US, he was always there. Sure it'd be nice if there were some kind of alternative, but as of right now there is none, only salafi nutters willing to exterminate or enslave anyone who's not them.
"higher moral ground ..." But, ICYMI, something hot off the press from "The Middle East Monitor":
Russia’s new Syria to be neither Arab nor Muslim

A leaked document, reported to be a Kremlin-drafted new constitution for Syria, appears to outline a future Syrian state as being neither Arab nor Muslim in character. The draft constitution was handed to representatives of the Bashar Al-Assad regime, as well as the opposition.

The document contains 27 articles within it and changes much from previous constitutions, particularly in terms of identity. Rather than referring to Syria by its formal name of the Syrian Arab Republic, the apparently new constitution has reduced it to the “Syrian Republic”, erasing the Arab identity from the state’s name.

The proposed Russian-backed constitution also describes Syria as a “secular and democratic” republic, and erases the previous article that stipulated that Islamic jurisprudence would be foundation of any legislation passed in the Arab country. ....
Maybe that "secular and democratic" is just window dressing, or maybe Russia has turned over a new leaf, or recognizes that that's the way the winds are blowing. Time will tell but looks encouraging.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Though I think that Trump's policies, even if flawed, might well promote some honesty, some willingness to consider the other side of the fence, to broach some necessary discussions. Something from a post in The Federalist by the Muslim reformer (?), Shireen Quodosi:
That’s where President Trump comes in. He inspires controversy. As a Muslim reformer, I value controversy as a purging fire that forces a civilization to evolve. President Trump has opened up a Pandora’s Box on deep cultural rifts undermining America’s place in the future. .... What matters is that it’s happening.
Well we'll see. I'm not as hopeful as Quodosi. But one thing is clear, the Saudis and their shills and cronies don't like the idea of losing the conflict in Syria and losing ground in "western" circles very much. It's probably no coincidence that an islamist and Saudi shill like Linda Sarsour has infiltrated the leadership of an anti-Trump march.
I geddit that you think that the salafists are the worst of a bad lot but I don't see that Iran's brand of Islam is any more palatable or less problematic; seems to me that they're in there like dirty shirts with the Muslim Brotherhood. Although I'll readily concede that I don't know all the ins-and-outs of all the various sects or their history ("nuke em all; let their gods sort them out").

As for Quodosi, certainly moot how accurate her analysis is. However, it seems there's no shortage of events that certainly seems consistent with it, from the AMA you linked to recently, to the meltdown of the Left and the DNC, to the recently linked Ralph Retort on Trump's Wall, to his rather pointed and damning criticisms of at least ISIS. Although I'm happy to note Milo is apparently leading the charge on Breitbart against Islam in general, and for some time, so I hope Bannon's influence will broaden Trump's scope of criticism. But as I've frequently argued, thither and yon, it seems to be the existential question of the century whether Islam is at all compatible with Western democracies - and the evidence so far is that the answer is a resounding "no", a point that Milo underlines in that Breitbart article.

In any case, all of that seems rather conclusive evidence of the "deep cultural rifts" that are rending the fabric of American - and Western - democracy. So to speak. And Trump has, arguably, been the lightning rod, the little boy who's shown in stark relief the rather thread-bare nature of many of the "conventional wisdoms" clothing our "emperors", and whose pretensions have outweighed their gravitas. But what seems moot is whether "we" have the intellectual and moral integrity to address those honestly. Apropos of which, you might take a look at a quite impressive review of Berman's Flight of the Intellectuals in the New York Times several years ago. And at this quote from a French intellectual, Claude-Frédéric Bastiat, in the early 1800s:

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/ ... -27-61.jpg
http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/ ... -27-61.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Is there anything more fucking bizarre than this?

http://i.imgur.com/K0pNPZO.jpg

Nope. Not until Watson takes a selfie on her early morning commute to the office.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Is there anything more fucking bizarre than this?

http://i.imgur.com/K0pNPZO.jpg

Nope. Not until Watson takes a selfie on her early morning commute to the office.
Remember folks, if some mad scientist ever discovers another universe, we are officially the alternate universe. Not prime, but Earth 2, at best.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Not until Watson takes a selfie on her early morning commute to the office.
The office? Is that a liquor store?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cuck or puppy.

The Watson Effect strikes with equal force.

http://i.imgur.com/dCIfwb6.jpg

h/t @shoutinghorse

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Not until Watson takes a selfie on her early morning commute to the office.
The office? Is that a liquor store?

No, a liquor shop would be a totem / spinning top falling over.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
jimmyfromchicago wrote:Theresa May ("my Maggie") et al. are being compelled to suck up to Donald Trump. Not quite as embarrassing as having elected him president, but still pretty embarrassing.

My favorite sentence from that article:
The Economist wrote:The country is even ready to put the queen within grabbing distance of America’s helmsman: plans are afoot for a summer state visit, in which Mr Trump reportedly wants the monarch to watch him golf at Balmoral, her Scottish estate.
The queen? The queen? How standards drop. That should be Queen. This is not any queen, This is not Elton John.
:-) :flags-wavegreatbritain: But re May and Trump:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:Damn!

Just found a piano cover of one of the best pieces of music ever recorded - personal taste ofc.

"Echoes" (Pink Floyd)

[.youtube][/youtube]
Whoa!
I never tire of listening to this track!
Or freaking out your parents with the psychedelic mid-section :mrgreen:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

From RW's latest video:
Imagine 21,000 women. If that’s difficult, imagine Madison Square Garden, where the New York Knicks play. Imagine every seat is filled with a woman, and imagine it’s an all-woman basketball game being played with female coaches, refs, scorekeepers, and announcers. Okay, that’s about 21,000 women. Now imagine that a bomb gets dropped on the Garden, obliterating everyone. There! That’s basically what Donald Trump just did when he signed an executive order called the Global Gag Rule.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... P2nf9pY9YZ

Brive pic
I don’t really have much of a call to action here. Fuck Donald Trump. Fuck fascism. I hope you marched Saturday if you could, and I hope you are calling your representatives, and I hope you are punching Nazis, and I hope you are safe.
Bastard. Just out of interest, I haven't seen any SM pics of RW at any Saturday march. I'm sure I'm just not attentive enough. However none of her three tweets on the 21st mentioned outdoor activity .... :think:

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Brive wrote:
Clearly China needs to be managed, but it's surely excessive to underwrite the Mexican middle class because the country is not otherwise self-sustainable?

Maybe pocket money can be reinstated after America is great again?
Why not go after Germany instead? Only about 100 billion in exports and a 75 billion deficit. A bigger deficit with only a third of the amount that Mexico buys from the US. They pay top dollar for German crap, like their overrated cars. At least the cars they buy from Mexico are mostly made by Merkin companies. :think:
I know you're joking and shitposting and this is the pit and blah blah. But some things just aren't funny. American car industry has been crushed by globalization because they make absolutely crap cars. Not talking about pick-ups which only Trump voters drive and could be sold outside the US. I dare you to name a single overrated german car. Except for Opel (Vauxhaul/Holden/Buick) which are crap as we all know. So as long as Amercian industry only produce for their homemarket we Europeans will win. And Merkel is bringing in the cheap labor to do it. You guys are building a wall. :lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

feathers wrote:Or freaking out your parents with the psychedelic mid-section :mrgreen:
To be honest, it was my father who got me into Floyd. If I'd been influenced by my mother, I'd be linking country music, Neil Diamond and Tom fucking Jones...I really dodged a bullet there, huh?

Uh-oh, time to put on my tin-toby again!

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdn ... -wall1.jpg

Another favourite Floyd track...

[youtube][/youtube]

There's a hippy buried deep within my psyche and try as I might to suppress him, the fucker keeps popping up :x

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Final Cut.

Best ever.

Especially in 1983.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Milo's doing a bit of doxing of antifa. Not linking but it's on Breitbart.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Final Cut.

Best ever.

Especially in 1983.
I love Southampton dock - very short and to the point.

[youtube][/youtube]

Love the whole album.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Yep Southampton, Gunners Dream. Final Cut ....

"Far from flying high through clear blue skies I'm spiralling down to this hole in the ground where I hide"

"Get your fucking hands off my desert". "What'd he say?"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air. You hear the tolling bell. And touch the silk in your lapel ....

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Yep Southampton, Gunners Dream. Final Cut ....

"Far from flying high through clear blue skies I'm spiralling down to this hole in the ground where I hide"

I've got to say though, this is (for me) their most powerful anti-war track...

[youtube][/youtube]

I get a lump in my throat like a wombat-shell when I listen to it :(

(I'll stop with the vids now, sorry folks)

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Why had I never heard of The Iron Maidens before now?

[outube][outube]
Pretty good.

Check out Tina S (on YT), she's amazing for her age and does lots of cover-vids.

[youtube][/youtube]

My favorite is this (I may have linked it before):

[youtube][/youtube]

Awesome!

:character-beavisbutthead:
I love Rock Chicks.

Nah. Guardian says Womyn cant play guitar cause ....tits
Cate Le Bon: ‘Guitars were inspired by female bodies. Why are they uncomfortable for women to play?’
St Vincent got so sick of her instrument not suiting her, that she designed a new guitar with room for ‘a breast or two’. Good for her, says Le Bon
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... st-vincent

-

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Yep Southampton, Gunners Dream. Final Cut ....

I've got to say though, this is (for me) their most powerful anti-war track...

[.youtube][/youtube]

I get a lump in my throat like a wombat-shell when I listen to it :(

(I'll stop with the vids now, sorry folks)

I was amazed that didn't make it to the Wall. I heard it on the radio back in the day and it blew me away. It was however very effectively cut into the movie.

Fond memories of the 1980s, watching the Wall in the Valhalla Cinema through a cloud of silly smoke.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: Maybe that "secular and democratic" is just window dressing, or maybe Russia has turned over a new leaf, or recognizes that that's the way the winds are blowing. Time will tell but looks encouraging.
It's mostly a way to distance Assad from salafist groups (who are all about "islamic" and "arab") and find a compromise with the Kurds (who aren't Arabs) and the other minority groups (Shia, Alawis, Christians, Druze, etc.). Good strategy in these times, it identifies the enemy
Steersman wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Well we'll see. I'm not as hopeful as Quodosi. But one thing is clear, the Saudis and their shills and cronies don't like the idea of losing the conflict in Syria and losing ground in "western" circles very much. It's probably no coincidence that an islamist and Saudi shill like Linda Sarsour has infiltrated the leadership of an anti-Trump march.
I geddit that you think that the salafists are the worst of a bad lot but I don't see that Iran's brand of Islam is any more palatable or less problematic; seems to me that they're in there like dirty shirts with the Muslim Brotherhood. Although I'll readily concede that I don't know all the ins-and-outs of all the various sects or their history ("nuke em all; let their gods sort them out").
It's not that Iran's brand of Islam is any better. Far from it. It's just easier to deal with since it has a more limited goal and more limited diplomatic and financial means. Iran's first and foremost concerns are survival and containment of the Salafis. They will likely try to interefere with and influence Iranian communities abroad, but they can be told to fuck off and keep out more effectively. Shia are a minority in the west, they're easier to monitor and keep relatively on the straight and narrow (just give support to early anti-Khomeini refugees from Iran, which are the majority of Iranians in many "western" countries).

Iran can be forced to accept a compromise ("keep your hands off my country and we won't finance people who attack yours"). Salafis can't. Lesser of two evils, which means lesser of two threats.
I'm happy to note Milo is apparently leading the charge on Breitbart against Islam in general, and for some time, so I hope Bannon's influence will broaden Trump's scope of criticism. But as I've frequently argued, thither and yon, it seems to be the existential question of the century whether Islam is at all compatible with Western democracies - and the evidence so far is that the answer is a resounding "no", a point that Milo underlines in that Breitbart article.
Well, to a certain extent the answer about "compatibility" of liberal democracy and islam is of course no. Islam as a religion based on a literal interpretaton of the Koran is incompatible with modernity and with rationality, just like christianity based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, or judaism based on a literal interpretation of the Bible.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not defending islam as a religion, I'm defending the human rights of muslims as individual human beings. I care about human rights of people, all people, regardless of and irrespective of what they believe. I don't give a flying fuck about the survival of islam as a religion: if it suddenly disappeared due to a spontaneous mass realization that it's a bunch of bollocks the result would likely be very good for humanity.

However I'm also a realist and know that a sudden worldwide abandonment of islam is incredibly unlikely to ever happen. So I focus on evaluating threats, promoting discussion and reform, promoting education and liberal democratic values, evaluating reforms to immigration, etc. You, on the other hand, seem to have a drastic, draconian approach.
In any case, all of that seems rather conclusive evidence of the "deep cultural rifts" that are rending the fabric of American - and Western - democracy. So to speak. And Trump has, arguably, been the lightning rod, the little boy who's shown in stark relief the rather thread-bare nature of many of the "conventional wisdoms" clothing our "emperors", and whose pretensions have outweighed their gravitas. But what seems moot is whether "we" have the intellectual and moral integrity to address those honestly.
Possibly. We'll see.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Funny how the Germans don't have an equivalent song "when the Shermans smashed through"

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Fond memories of the 1980s, watching the Wall in the Valhalla Cinema through a cloud of silly smoke.
Deeply jealous :mrgreen:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/LHFspGm.jpg

Licensed to carry a concealed weapon? Or just strangely hung?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

InfraRedBucket wrote: snip

Nah. Guardian says Womyn cant play guitar cause ....tits
Cate Le Bon: ‘Guitars were inspired by female bodies. Why are they uncomfortable for women to play?’
St Vincent got so sick of her instrument not suiting her, that she designed a new guitar with room for ‘a breast or two’. Good for her, says Le Bon
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... st-vincent

-
I went from that article to The Iron Maidens. So I am grateful to Cate Le Bon.