In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Bhurzum »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:How is her bride's family about it? My cousin (female) married a girl a while back. My extended family showed up for (and helped finance) the wedding in vast number, but nobody from her bride's family showed at all, just a handful of her friends.
We didn't really get a chance to have a proper chat but I got the impression her family are ok with things. We're having lunch later in the week so hopefully I'll be able to find out a little bit more about the state of play.

Oh, and that sucks about your cousin's wedding.

No wonder I'm a misanthrope :P

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:Hot off the press - Shapiro Vs Uygur debate.

[youtube][/youtube]

I've not watched it yet so cannot vouch for anything.
Why does Cenk's head look like what comes out of my ass when I don't drink enough water?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

And now for something completely different, the Slymepit officially celebrates the 91st year, 1 week, and 1 day anniversary of Babe Ruth catching a ball thrown from an airplane. A fucking airplane. From 300 feet. It took 7 attempts. And the first attempt was from 1000 feet. I thought a penny thrown from that height could kill you.

http://www.craveonline.ca/mandatory/103 ... om-a-plane

Babe you glorious bastard. You should have been given a man's name and had a chocolate bar named after you. Like, a good chocolate bar. You glorious fucker.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MacGruberKnows wrote:And now for something completely different, the Slymepit officially celebrates the 91st year, 1 week, and 1 day anniversary of Babe Ruth catching a ball thrown from an airplane. A fucking airplane. From 300 feet. It took 7 attempts. And the first attempt was from 1000 feet. I thought a penny thrown from that height could kill you.

Babe you glorious bastard. You should have been given a man's name and had a chocolate bar named after you. Like, a good chocolate bar. You glorious fucker.
There is nothing wrong with a Babe Ruth candy bar. Nothing a little rum can't fix, anyway.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Basement wrote:I don't know a lot about these things, but isn't it a bit strange to change sexual orientation? So was she always a homosexual and didn't know it or did she become a homosexual?
There are those who can ride at both sides of the road.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

feathers wrote:
Basement wrote:I don't know a lot about these things, but isn't it a bit strange to change sexual orientation? So was she always a homosexual and didn't know it or did she become a homosexual?
There are those who can ride at both sides of the road.
Short answer is, she socially reconstructed herself.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MacGruberKnows wrote:And now for something completely different, the Slymepit officially celebrates the 91st year, 1 week, and 1 day anniversary of Babe Ruth catching a ball thrown from an airplane. A fucking airplane. From 300 feet. It took 7 attempts. And the first attempt was from 1000 feet. I thought a penny thrown from that height could kill you.

Great for him, but that's an extremely dangerous stunt. If you ever visit Treasure Island in the San Francisco bay, there was some fair or another held there called the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1939. There are pictures of a guy who tried to catch a baseball dropped from a dirigible. Unsuccessfully. As I recall the guy was knocked out and had teeth knocked out. Note sure what terminal velocity is for a baseball, but it's probably a hell of a lot faster than anyone can throw one.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:Sort of. My impression is that of a couple wanting different things - she wanted a relationship, he wanted to booze it up with his mates and see her when he could be arsed. I've already put out feelers (I know lots of his friends/family) and will get to the truth (and him) in due course.
If that involves a decent talk over a few pints, that might be a good idea. If it involves a dental reworking, not so much.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a Babe Ruth candy bar. Nothing a little rum can't fix, anyway.
Holy holy fuck me. It is not a Babe Ruth bar, it is a Baby Ruth bar. At the time, the Curtiss company used Baby Ruth to get around having to pay Babe Ruth royalties. And even tried to claim it was named after Ruth Cleveland, the daughter of Grover Cleveland. She died at age 12 in 1904, and right, the Curtiss company just happened to rename their 'Kandy Kake' bar to the "Baby Ruth" bar in honor of a dead presidents dead daughter from another generation at the same time Babe Ruth had become the biggest name in America. And the fuckers won the copyright infringement case. The Babe lost. At least when Nestle's bought out the company they came to some kind of a trademark agreement, but fuck me.

That chocolate bar now leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Link for the above information about the Babe getting scewed over:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... babe-ruth/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Bhurzum wrote:Being absolutely wrapped around the little fingers of both my kids, I ushered the long-haired general out the door (money and the keys to my car as "payment") and asked her to give me some time to catch up with #1 daughter.
I am a tad confused. Why did you hand off money and the keys to your car as "payment"?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MacGruberKnows wrote:I thought a penny thrown from that height could kill you.
Mythbusters fired a penny at each other at 64 MPH (their predicted velocity) from the empire state building, and it just stung them.
http://www.businessinsider.com/drop-pen ... ng-2015-12

Other people predict the terminal velecity of a penny is between 30-50 MPH.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... dangerous/

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

deLurch wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:I thought a penny thrown from that height could kill you.
Mythbusters fired a penny at each other at 64 MPH (their predicted velocity) from the empire state building, and it just stung them.
http://www.businessinsider.com/drop-pen ... ng-2015-12

Other people predict the terminal velecity of a penny is between 30-50 MPH.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... dangerous/
Probably correct. But we haven't had pennies in Canada now for a few years, so who give a fuck? What I do need to know is, will a loonie or a toonie kill me?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Om01w_ANL3M/ ... toonie.jpg

Doesn't really matter, even if I ever walk by the Empire State Building, you guys will only be tossing harmless pennies off of it. None of you have loonies and toonies. So I'm safe.

On the other hand, could a Baby Ruth bar tossed off the Empire State Building kill me?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

pleatherface wrote:I rarely post but this situation got my blood boiling because it concerns the subject of outsider art, which is something I know a little about. It also features discussion of Henry Darger and his motivations and inspirations, misinterpreted through an SJW lense. The little shits got this professor drummed out of his position at The Chicago Institute of Art.

https://rawvision.com/news/bonesteel-af ... ed-chicago
This is incredible. And awful. :( I think this is going to happen more and more often.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Congrats on your daughter getting gay married

Further congrats on totally pwning expectations

This is some top kek at dadding

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So the consensus appears to be - no:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

My only regret is not being able to find a clip of Pa Kettle tipping a glass of water on his own head from the Empire State building.

(Obviously mine has been a life well lived).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Lively discussion at TFA on Silverman's call to reclaim the label "atheist".

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ent-label/

(For you John Pieret fans, he's in full moron mode, and getting slammed even by his fellow SJWs.)
Kirbmarc - Can you cast a linguistic eye over my preference for saying that "I am atheist" rather than "I am an atheist" over there? It is a personal preference of mine, and feels right, but others have raised reasonable exceptions. I may be making much ado about nothing.
"I am atheist" uses "atheist" as an adjective, "I am an atheist" uses it as a noun. Most English dictionary definitions of "atheist" state the word is a noun, so "I am an atheist" should be the standard English use (what language prescriptivists would call "the grammatically correct use").

However natural languages (unlike formal languages) aren't shaped by dictionary definitions, but by use. Dictionaries simply collect the most commonly accepted use at the time when they were written. Adjectival uses of "atheist" are actually rather common.

Out of a sample of 100 uses of "atheist" in the COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English) 29 were adjectival uses, where "atheist" was use either to modify the meaning of a noun or after a copula (an use of the verb "to be" which establishes a link between a subject and a complement). Examples include "atheist groups", "atheist thinkers", "China is atheist", etc.

However searching "I am atheist" in the COCA produces no results, while "I am an atheist" produces 11 results. Similarly "you are an atheist" produces 4 results, while "You are atheist" produces no results. The same thing is true for "he is an atheist" vs. "he is atheist" (3 vs. 0), "she is an atheist" vs. "she is atheist" (2 vs. 0) or "they are atheists" vs. "they are atheist" (1 vs. 0).

However while the COCA includes 520 million words, so it's a good sample of the English language, it's not wholly representative of the use of a language can also use the web as a corpus. Searching "I am atheist" on Google produces 84.600 results, while "I am an atheist" produces 459,000 results. The pattern is shown by "you are an atheist" vs. "you are atheist" (429,000 vs. 142,000) "he is an atheist" vs. "he is atheist" (652,000 vs. 139,000), "she is an atheist" vs. "she is atheist" (605,000 vs. 83,800) and "they are atheists" vs. "they are atheist" (301,000 vs. 138,000).

Compare and contrast "I am a Christian" (11,300,000 results on Google, 75 in the COCA) vs. "I am Christian" (411, 000 results on Google, 14 in the COCA) and "I am a muslim" (459,000 results on Google, 19 in the COCA) vs. "I am muslim" (463,000 results on Google, 3 in the COCA).

In general it seems that the form "Subject+Copula+Nominal form of a word which describes religious/non religious affiliation" is more common than the form "Subject+Copula+Adjectival form of a word which describes religious/non-religious affiliation".

We can speculate as to why: Is it because the Nominal describes an individual, and religious faith or lack thereof is perceived to be an individual belief in countries where English is spoken? Testing this hypothesis would require comparing the English use of words which describe religious beliefs of lack thereof to other languages.

Conversely, is it because religious beliefs or lack thereof are perceived to be part of one's personal identity?

However languages are constantly in flux and changing. What is a non-standard form of the language today can become more common in the future. Linguistic experimentation is how changes begin (just like random mutations fuel natural selection).

There's nothing wrong with saying "I am atheist" instead of "I am an atheist" unless one believes that the English language is a fixed, immutable reality, which isn't the case. We can speculate as to what different meaning is conveyed by the two different uses.

Is "I am an atheist" 'perceived to be describing a personal sense of identity, while "I am atheist" only describe a characteristic? If so, are people more likely to use "I am atheist" instead of "I am an atheist" when they don't want to be associated to word "atheist", with all its common connotations?

I hope this answer was useful and interesting to you.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I am agnostic on the topic.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Incidentally there's nothing wrong with trying to change the meaning of a word. The problem with SJWs isn't that they're innovators, it's that they're prescriptivists. LGBT movements changed the meaning of the word "gay" gradually, through promotion of its new use. The SocJus fans don't do that, they want to establish a new meaning overnight and punish the "OldThinkers" as bigots.

That's the root of the Orwellian nightmare. Languages change all the time, and wanting to change the language isn't wrong per se. What's wrong is to force all the users of the language to accept the new meanings or else be punished, be it legally or socially.

Promoting your new use of the word isn't bad, it's what writers, adverts, philsophers and journalists do all the time. After all if the English language had been fixed and unchangeable "hobbit", "coke", "iPad", "New Atheist" or "WaterGate" wouldn't have the meaning that they have now.

However the SocJus fans don't just do that, they relentlessly attack anyone who doesn't accept their new definitions as a bigot. THIS is what people talk about when they're annoyed by the attempts of the SocJus fans to "rewrite the dictionaries".

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:

Great for him, but that's an extremely dangerous stunt. If you ever visit Treasure Island in the San Francisco bay, there was some fair or another held there called the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1939. There are pictures of a guy who tried to catch a baseball dropped from a dirigible. Unsuccessfully. As I recall the guy was knocked out and had teeth knocked out. Note sure what terminal velocity is for a baseball, but it's probably a hell of a lot faster than anyone can throw one.
Terminal velocity of a baseball is 95 miles per hour according to deGrasse Tyson.

Fastest pitch velocity is 106mph. Fastest velocity of a hit ball is 119.4 mph.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

non sequitur

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:Terminal velocity of a baseball is 95 miles per hour according to deGrasse Tyson.

Fastest pitch velocity is 106mph. Fastest velocity of a hit ball is 119.4 mph.
But what if it is carried by a swallow?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

katamari Damassi wrote:I know it's Salon, but here's another "new atheism" is full of alt-right Islamophobes, and rapists article.

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/29/from-th ... alt-right/
Yeah this has been doing the rounds on my social media. Complete guilt-by-association crap.
Pleased that I haven't bitten on it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

DrokkIt wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I know it's Salon, but here's another "new atheism" is full of alt-right Islamophobes, and rapists article.

Yeah this has been doing the rounds on my social media. Complete guilt-by-association crap.
I saw this on Massimo's feed. I shook my head and moved on when I saw the author using the Atheism abuse story from Buzzfeed as a supporting source.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:More "happy family" signalling.
http://www.highscoresarcade.com
Hi -- do you allow dogs?
Ahh, we do and we don't. If it's a small dog maybe and doesn't disturb any of the kids -- but we prefer you don't. It's a discretion thing.
Yeah but Becky's dog is a special therapeutic dog with special powers to make her feel less depressed and as such should be allowed to go anywhere.

(Oh, and 'Mug Friend' is definitely being groomed.)

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Brive1987 wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

I saw this on Massimo's feed. I shook my head and moved on when I saw the author using the Atheism abuse story from Buzzfeed as a supporting source.
Salon is a fucking shite rag. Do not engage.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Passchendaele. 100 years ago today .. Lest We Forget

http://i.imgur.com/GJHp1wE.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:Salon is a fucking shite rag. Do not engage.
Salon allowed a pedophile to write an article where he said he was the real victim and people who didn't like the fact he wrote a previous article about how hard it was for him to live with the "burden" of his condition were the real monsters.

They're in no position to pontificate about other people's associations.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Sunder wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Science is just stories, sez the Not So Foxy Folklorist:

Evolutionary Psychology Is a Story (and Not a Good One)
All scientific knowledge is situated in cultural context....

The point here, however, is that popular narratives saying all men are essentially cavemen, and have license to act as such, is a constructed one.

And anytime a story grants power to a certain population, and disempowers others, we should be paying close attention, whether the story is a pseudo-scientific model, or a fairy tale, or perhaps the point where both converge ....
I'd tell her that she's strawmannirg EP, and an ignorant, homely slag to boot, but I'm banned there.
A/S used to combat this sort of idiotic human exceptionalism.

The whole point of emphasizing that we are fundamentally not that far evolved from our cavemen ancestors (10,000 years is a blip in time) is to acknowledge and combat in-built modes of thinking that no longer serve us well in changed circumstances. It's the goddamn opposite of saying we "have license to act" that way. Fucking. Retard.

These are the same dumb tits who laugh at theists for believing in supremely idiotic stories and pay no heed to psychologists who point out how all people are susceptible to flawed thinking, then end up falling for secular scams. They're so sure they can't be fooled that they will always be the first to be fooled.
What they are saying is basically this. "I'm a fuzzy thinker who assumes that everyone else is just as incapable of divorcing their behaviour from their feelings and derives so-called facts about society from analogies between the ridiculously abstract."

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Basement wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Daughter number #1, who I've not had any contact with for quite some time, appeared on my doorstep (out of the blue) with a female friend in tow. Being absolutely wrapped around the little fingers of both my kids, I ushered the long-haired general out the door (money and the keys to my car as "payment") and asked her to give me some time to catch up with #1 daughter.

Anyhoo, as we chatted and consumed tea/coffee with biccies, #1 kid dropped the bombshell that she's engaged.

She was relatively surprised when I was completely calm, took it in my stride and didn't explode in a fit of Victorian and over-protective dad-rage. After I had congratulated her and offered to support the wedding in any way possible, she asked my why I hadn't asked to whom she was engaged? I told her I assumed she was marrying [insert long-term boyfriend here].

Turns out he'd been dumped a while back (apparently he'd treated her like shit, I'll blacken the fuckers eyes if I bump into him again) and she was getting married to...her female friend.

Once again, I was completely calm, offered her friend a hearty congratulations and proceeded to ask the usual questions you'd expect - how did they meet? Do they plan on getting a place together soon? Do they need a hand with decorations or furniture movement etc?

As I was chatting with [insert female friend here], daughter #1 explodes in a fit of outrage because I'm not upset or angry. It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down during which time I was called a million names (homophobe, bigot, relic, Army bastard, dinosaur, right wing thug etc) and #1 kid produced enough tears (and snot) to drown my hounds.

Fuck it. Long story short: she eventually left with a smile on her face and a fresh opinion of her old dad. The wedding is in December, I'm not invited (my ex-wife's condition - will not budge on it) but to be quite frank, I couldn't be happier - they're a really cute couple, seem to be genuinely happy, both have solid/steady jobs and their heads are screwed firmly in place.

Just wanted to thank everyone here in the 'pit for helping me shed my old and fondly nurtured bigotries - I know I'm a thick cunt and only shit-post but over the years, a lot of what you fine shitlords/ladies say (and link to) has had a definite effect. I'm not saying the old "me" would have gone mental but he'd certainly not have taken it so calmly. So yeah, thanks 'pit, here's mud in your eye. I'm off out to smoke a few cigars and get wasted.
I don't know a lot about these things, but isn't it a bit strange to change sexual orientation? So was she always a homosexual and didn't know it or did she become a homosexual? And she's coming out of an abusive hetero relationship. The "born this way" has been pushed so hard in media that I tend to buy it - but I don't follow these things too closely - is that not the prevailing wisdom anymore? Politically I think it's an irrelevant question, but it's still a legitimate scientific one. Also I find her negative reaction to your lack of anger a little alarming - what's that about? And you don't get to go to the wedding because your ex says so? Hey, but if you're happy, congratulations!
You don't watch much TV drama, do you? These kinds of scenes are accompanied by cliched lines like "You don't get to act reasonable now". Bhurzum was guilty of pissing on the resentment battery.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think that in the right circumstances Bhurzum could be a fairly intimidating individual.

Fem-Offspring #1 - was probably working herself up for the encounter - and was not sure what to do with the emotional churn when things took an unexpected turn.

People are weird!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

deLurch wrote:I am a tad confused. Why did you hand off money and the keys to your car as "payment"?
I gave her my car so she could take the dogs - they were becoming overly excited at the arrival of daughter & friend. Oh, and because my car was running on memories, I asked her to chuck some fuel into it, hence the cash.

The "payment" thing was a joke.

:bjarte:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:I think that in the right circumstances Bhurzum could be a fairly intimidating individual.
To be fair, I'm no Greg Laden.

;)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:I think that in the right circumstances Bhurzum could be a fairly intimidating individual.
To be fair, I'm no Greg Laden.

;)
To be fair, Laden isn't very intimidating, either. Creepy, yes, hilariously inappropriate, yes, but intimidating, not so much.

http://gregladen.com/blog/wp-content/up ... _Falls.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That is a real name from the past.

I wish Mr Laden every success in his quest for obscurity, and wish that more people would follow his example.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:Passchendaele. 100 years ago today .. Lest We Forget
#Passchendaele has a wealth of interesting links and pictures.
GBNF.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:That is a real name from the past.

I wish Mr Laden every success in his quest for obscurity, and wish that more people would follow his example.
You are just begging for a "Best Post Evah", aren't you? :lol:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You know that some reviews have been confusing the events of Dunkirk and D-Day.

But I am grateful that the movie is educating people that Dunkirk is not located in Scotland. (Which is what I first thought).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:You know that some reviews have been confusing the events of Dunkirk and D-Day.

But I am grateful that the movie is educating people that Dunkirk is not located in Scotland. (Which is what I first thought).
How can people confuse Dunkirk with D-Day? Even leaving aside the dates (and it's pretty hard to confuse 1940 with 1944), getting from France to the UK is the exact opposite route of the getting from the UK to France.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

shoutinghorse wrote:Passchendaele. 100 years ago today .. Lest We Forget

http://i.imgur.com/GJHp1wE.jpg
My grandfather was a sergeant in the Royal Engineers at Passchendaele. He was wounded, and when the shrapnel was dug out of him he had a piece the size of a penny engraved with the date and mounted on a pin. I suspect his ghoulish wife, the kind of girl who was generous with the white feathers, actually wore it. My brother has it now. On the other hand, my father extruded bits of shrapnel for the rest of his days after an argument with an FW190 fighter-bomber in Holland and simply threw them away.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:You know that some reviews have been confusing the events of Dunkirk and D-Day.

How can people confuse Dunkirk with D-Day? Even leaving aside the dates (and it's pretty hard to confuse 1940 with 1944), getting from France to the UK is the exact opposite route of the getting from the UK to France.
I was pissed that Nolan didn't show the Canadians huddled against the sea wall opposite the casino.

Worse than Peter Jackson.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

As someone who has since childhood had a keen interest in history and especially British military history I find these statements to be both sad and disappointing.

Dunkirk is arguably (with maybe the exception of the Battle of Britain) the most fundamentally important occurrence of WW2. Without us managing to get nearly half a million troops off that beach Britain would have been completely fucked.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Er...they....both start with D?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

shoutinghorse wrote:

As someone who has since childhood had a keen interest in history and especially British military history I find these statements to be both sad and disappointing.

Dunkirk is arguably (with maybe the exception of the Battle of Britain) the most fundamentally important occurrence of WW2 for the European Western Front. Without us managing to get nearly half a million troops off that beach Britain would have been completely fucked.
FTFY. I'd say that Stalingrad and Kursk were far more important occurrences for the overall development of WW2 in Europe, and Midway was on roughly the same leve for the war in the Pacific.

John D

Post by John D »

Kirbmarc wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

Dunkirk is arguably (with maybe the exception of the Battle of Britain) the most fundamentally important occurrence of WW2 for the European Western Front. Without us managing to get nearly half a million troops off that beach Britain would have been completely fucked.
FTFY. I'd say that Stalingrad and Kursk were far more important occurrences for the overall development of WW2 in Europe, and Midway was on roughly the same leve for the war in the Pacific.
But there were no Sherman tanks at Dunkirk... so who cares?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

John D wrote:But there were no Sherman tanks at Dunkirk... so who cares?
If they had enough Sherman tanks, would the Brits, Belgian and French have been able to stop the Germans and fight back?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7Aypb1MkhFo/U ... mputer.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:I saw this on Massimo's feed. I shook my head and moved on when I saw the author using the Atheism abuse story from Buzzfeed as a supporting source.
Yeah, the posturing meathead links the Buzzfeed article thusly:

http://imgur.com/azYuEKS.png

So he knows Michael Shermer is the alleged rapist. Apparently, that's not reason enough to axe a favorable blurb for his book:

http://imgur.com/zcJr2Fx.png

https://www.risksandreligion.org/

Okay, it was a year ago, maybe he didn't know.

But, wait. He posted this 3 days before his Salon article:

http://imgur.com/fzRjAXg.png

A real pillar of rectitude, that guy.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

I was talking on a British perspective so apologies for not being more specific. I would certainly agree that Hitler invading Russia is what ultimately lost him the war, however Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain came a year before operation Barbarossa and if the Germans had captured the BEF at Dunkirk it would have changed the whole nature of the war Britain. Churchill had only just become PM, there was still some hostility toward him in parliament as well as the military hierarchy. There would certainly have been immense pressure on him to sue for peace and if that had happened Hitler could have concentrated all his might to the east plus the USA would most probably not have entered the European theater.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Bhurzum wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:Firstly congrats & good luck to your daughter on her upcoming happy day but surely the decision to invite you or not
is entirely the choice of your daughter and her partner is it not
. WTF has it got to do with your ex? Phone your daughter and tell her your going.
Due to the moving parts in play, it would cause all manner of problems if I attended. My ex and her family hate me and even though I'd be on my best behaviour, there are several unpredictable nutters in the family and when you add alcohol to the mix, there's no telling what might happen. No, best if I just bite my lip and observe from a distance - anything to reduce the chance of trouble on the big day.
Not trying to incite difficulties, but an idea might be to show up to the ceremony itself, wish your daughter the best in the receiving line while making some excuse why you cannot possibly stay for the reception and leave. The ceremony is, at least theoretically, a public event, often in an environment that is conducive to nutters being on good behavior such as a church or park, alcohol generally does not enter until the reception and theres really no need to interact with anyone during the ceremony.

Skipping is probably the best course, but thought Id offer the thought if you did want to attend.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Salon allowed a pedophile to write an article where he said he was the real victim and people who didn't like the fact he wrote a previous article about how hard it was for him to live with the "burden" of his condition were the real monsters.

If I'm recalling correctly the shitstain said the reason he hadn't had sex with raped a child is because of society isn't understanding of such things. It's not like I held Salon in high esteem before then, but that was the the Texas sized meteor that broke the camel's back.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

If I'm recalling correctly the shitstain said the reason he hadn't had sex with raped a child is because of society isn't understanding of such things. It's not like I held Salon in high esteem before then, but that was the the Texas sized meteor that broke the camel's back.
I think you're confusing the guy with Sarah "I was a Teenage Edgelord" Nyberg.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

shoutinghorse wrote:Dunkirk is arguably (with maybe the exception of the Battle of Britain) the most fundamentally important occurrence of WW2. Without us managing to get nearly half a million troops off that beach Britain would have been completely fucked.
Have you read Kenneth Macksey's The German Invasion of England, July 1940 ?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Have you read Kenneth Macksey's The German Invasion of England, July 1940 ?
Went the day well?

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Todd Nickerson, the pedophile who wrote two Salon articles, claimed he was "oppressed" by negative attitudes toward pedophiles, and that pedophiles who, like him, don't abuse children or watch child pornography are poor, misunderstood people who need intersectional compassion. When the predictable reaction ensued Nickerson wrote an article calling everyone who disagreed with his characterization of pedophilia as an "inclination" rather than a pathology a bigot and a member of the "alt-right".

To Salon's marginal credit Nickerson didn't openly advocate for child sexual abuse if society was "less sex-negative".

On the other hand it was Sarah Nyberg who blamed society for not being more accepting of child sexual abuse. But as we all know, that was just a long trolling con that Nyberg the Edgelord pulled for years. :bjarte:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
John D wrote:But there were no Sherman tanks at Dunkirk... so who cares?
If they had enough Sherman tanks, would the Brits, Belgian and French have been able to stop the Germans and fight back?
Yes. They would've formed an impenetrable defensive barrier.
oops.jpg
(153.58 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Todd Nickerson was his name. I found the quote.
…consensual sex play likely wouldn’t be traumatic or mess kids up so much if society didn’t make a big deal out of it.
The quote is taken from his old forum postings, not the article (which was bad enough). There's more.
Which is why I have stressed time and again that I believe it is imperitave to allow the CHILD to take the lead. In my situation with J, she “came onto” me (in her naive but rather aggressive way) rather obviously and for a prolongued amount of time — I mean over days. She obviously had given her desire alot of thought, and it was both to be touched by me and to touch me in return.
If someone thinks a 5 year old is coming on to them that's evidence their mind is warped beyond repair and they shouldn't be allowed near children ever again. It's not evidence that the 5 year old actually is coming on to them or that there's the previously unknown demographic just waiting to happily engage in sexual relationships with pedophiles. Oh, if only this puritan society wasn't holding them back!

Absolute insanity. The man should be committed to an institution.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Todd Nickerson was his name. I found the quote.
…consensual sex play likely wouldn’t be traumatic or mess kids up so much if society didn’t make a big deal out of it.
The quote is taken from his old forum postings, not the article (which was bad enough). There's more.
Which is why I have stressed time and again that I believe it is imperitave to allow the CHILD to take the lead. In my situation with J, she “came onto” me (in her naive but rather aggressive way) rather obviously and for a prolongued amount of time — I mean over days. She obviously had given her desire alot of thought, and it was both to be touched by me and to touch me in return.
If someone thinks a 5 year old is coming on to them that's evidence their mind is warped beyond repair and they shouldn't be allowed near children ever again. It's not evidence that the 5 year old actually is coming on to them or that there's the previously unknown demographic just waiting to happily engage in sexual relationships with pedophiles. Oh, if only this puritan society wasn't holding them back!

Absolute insanity. The man should be committed to an institution.
Sorry. I didn't know about this, I had only read the articles. I guess I stand corrected, and I completely agree with you that Nickerson is a danger to children and should be committed.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Salon: pedophilia is A-OK, but New Atheists are all racist monsters for daring to criticize Islam.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:So the consensus appears to be - no:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
If they dropped Babe Ruth off the Empire State Building, that'd kill you, though.