In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Hunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:"Proudly bipolar"

:cdc:
"Polyamorous queer autistic trans lesbian" takes the cake. But your "proudly bipolar" is a nice one too.

The world is going right down the garbage bin.
It's got the word "bi" in it, so it's got to be good, right?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Kelly Ellis is a child.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I don't think the lad claimed he had a PhD, did he? He listed himself as a PhD candidate, which they all do (I know of where I speak on this).

It is the dickheads claiming he said he had a PhD.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Sunder wrote:I fucking hate anyone working in an office or attending a cloistered school campus who says they "fear for their safety" in some of the safest fucking environments on the planet.

You are fucking liars. Not a one of you honestly thinks there's any chance you'll be accosted by fellow employees or students. Eat shit.
Another thing that must be stamped out is the term "survivor" for people who at no time were in any conceivable danger of their life.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Politely articulating a nuanced criticism of identity politics is "violence":

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGsUHNqVwAArrOe.jpg:large
I hope anybody who anybody who took time off over this is treated with the sympathy they deserve.
This is exactly what the term 'crybullie' was invented for.

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:Peezus' own lawyer agrees with much of the Google engineer's opinion:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/07/opinions/ ... index.html
Marc Randazza wrote:Cue the outrage and applause machines -- depending on which political tribe you belong to. Of course, the outrage machine is calling for him to be tracked down and fired. I take the opposite view, but not because I agree with him. In fact, I mostly disagree with him, though I think he makes some good arguments -- but that is beside the point. I categorically oppose the notion that if you have an opinion that deviates too far from that which is considered to be "politically correct," then the appropriate punishment is that you should lose your job -- and preferably not be hired anywhere else, either.
Oh noes, Peez et al. hired someone with a balanced opinion!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Also nuking Oz probably wouldn't make it any weirder than it is now.
Nuking the entire world but Oz would make a good premise for a book.
Oh shute!
If they nuked the middle, would anyone notice?

Actually after discovering the meat fever those little sea bastards have I think Australia needs to be watched very, very closely. After exporting their worst lager, who is to say they won't start sending their killer shrimp?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sulman wrote:I don't think the lad claimed he had a PhD, did he? He listed himself as a PhD candidate, which they all do (I know of where I speak on this).

It is the dickheads claiming he said he had a PhD.
His LinkedIn still lists him at Google and doesn't push the Phd line (unless there has been a hurried edit). Anybody actually seen evidence he claimed a doctorate?

http://i.imgur.com/z4w4CCl.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Sulman wrote:

Actually after discovering the meat fever those little sea bastards have I think Australia needs to be watched very, very closely. After exporting their worst lager, who is to say they won't start sending their killer shrimp?

You mean to say Australia makes something other than Fosters? About Fosters: I love the taste, hate the hangover. There's something enticing and evil and impure about it. Ausie bastards.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Something about sapping and polluting our precious bodily fluids.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I can report that last night The Commander did not have any dreams involving PZ Myers suffering horribly.

I will have to contact my doctor to resolve this problem.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

feathers wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Politely articulating a nuanced criticism of identity politics is "violence":

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGsUHNqVwAArrOe.jpg:large
I hope anybody who anybody who took time off over this is treated with the sympathy they deserve.
This is exactly what the term 'crybullie' was invented for.
To be fair, if one was to listen to the online mob, the whole thing would sound a whole lot more harsh than it actually was. That's why, if I'm going to accept that effect, I 100% blame the online mob who claims to be "helping".

Threat Narratives are a very real thing. It's something we need to be talking about, if you're going to talk about that sort of "violence".

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:
Sulman wrote:

You mean to say Australia makes something other than Fosters? About Fosters: I love the taste, hate the hangover. There's something enticing and evil and impure about it. Ausie bastards.
I'm not even sure you can buy Fosters here any more. It was the cool beer in 1986 but faded into export pretty quick after that.

Back in the day a real Aussie was a Tooheys man in NSW, a XXXX Queenslander or a VB Victorian.

Now it's all hipster shit in the cities.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... TXRas0QR4v

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... 7SL6-Y-kaZ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... ct2lM5mDuA

Honourable mention goes to Swan Lager from WA and Carlton Draught from Vic.

This doesn't look good for young James.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 79-h527-nc

Malky

Post by Malky »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Also nuking Oz probably wouldn't make it any weirder than it is now.
Sort of been done in John Wyndham's The Chrysalids. Difference is that New Zealand is the survivor.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's hail and farewell (or perhaps the opposite) to actor Robert Hardy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 80481.html

I will always associate him with the role of head vet Siegfried Farnon in 'All Creatures Great and Small' but others will more likely recall him pottering about in other endeavours.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Malky wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sort of been done in John Wyndham's The Chrysalids. Difference is that New Zealand is the survivor.
I think he's referring to On the Beach.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:It's hail and farewell (or perhaps the opposite) to actor Robert Hardy

I will always associate him with the role of head vet Siegfried Farnon in 'All Creatures Great and Small' but others will more likely recall him pottering about in other endeavours.
We called it All Creatures Grunt and Smell at my school.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Malky wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Did no one get my (Nevil) Shute - On the Beach ref to Matt?

:(

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Fuck it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My parents had the first edition. I remember reading it in the 1980s without any pre knowledge and being shattered by the ending.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... eBeach.jpg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:It's hail and farewell (or perhaps the opposite) to actor Robert Hardy

Coincidentally ACG&S is being repeated on UK Drama TV at the moment, Hardy was a great character actor and his portrayal as Siegfried Farnon was said by many to have really captured the eccentricity of the characters real life base Donald Sinclair.

Interesting fact, he and the actor John McGlynn (Callum Buchanan) detested each other and this was the main reason McGlynn's character was written out of the series as Hardy threatened to quit if he stayed.

Also I believe he has some kind of record in having portrayed Winston Churchill the most times.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Being bullied doesn't make you a better person.
Proof perfect: Myers.
Generally it''s better for the bullied person mental health to just let it go and enjoy their life without thinking about their past too much. I know this first hand. Revenge is a sucker's game, and thinking about revenge even more so.
I was bullied by a couple of literal neo-nazis in school. Didn't make me a better person, and screwed me up in some ways that probably linger to this day. But beyond the very occasional fleeting thought that if I were to meet those people today I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I rarely think about it at all. And these days when I do, I'm grateful that I didn't end up like Myers et al. I can enjoy life rather than define myself by what I hate. It seems a very sad way to spend your life.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:You pussies must all be asleep or hung over. I owned this page, now I retire in glory to the bedchamber.
So you are being put out to stud.
Live covers only. Don't you be getting any ideas about collectin'.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

TedDahlberg wrote:
I was bullied by a couple of literal neo-nazis in school. Didn't make me a better person, and screwed me up in some ways that probably linger to this day. But beyond the very occasional fleeting thought that if I were to meet those people today I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I rarely think about it at all. And these days when I do, I'm grateful that I didn't end up like Myers et al. I can enjoy life rather than define myself by what I hate. It seems a very sad way to spend your life.
It was probably the stutter that made them have a go at you

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Jordan Peterson interviewed the rogue Googler yesterday. There are some interesting revelations.

His memo was a critique of a "diversity summit" he was required to attend a month ago.

Google's has a policy of openness and transparency for their conferences and meetings; they are usually recorded and publicly available. However, the diversity summit was done in secrecy. Damore thinks this was because the practices taught and encouraged at the meeting are illegal.

The memo was available internally for a month, but Damore couldn't attract interest from upper management. He was hoping for some kind of official response, but no one gave a shit until it leaked out and went viral.

For someone standing in the center of a shitstorm, this kid is surprisingly unfazed.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Damore is apparently claiming that his firing was retaliatory (not for the memo, but for filing a complaint with the NLRB after the memo went public).

Which is very, very illegal in California.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ape+lust wrote: For someone standing in the center of a shitstorm, this kid is surprisingly unfazed.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Brive1987 wrote:My parents had the first edition. I remember reading it in the 1980s without any pre knowledge and being shattered by the ending.

Never read this - so no

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: For someone standing in the center of a shitstorm, this kid is surprisingly unfazed.
:D

Yeah, this guy has a really good attitude. Here's something I saw only because Peez retweeted it:

http://imgur.com/moczU2z.png

https://twitter.com/LAustyanJulian/stat ... 4680060928

https://t.co/98c3HEXoBu

You can see they're trying to paint him as some kind of slacker or corner-cutter, but that's not what he was doing at all. He wanted a tech job so he could do research, and not just get roped into being a lab's bottle washer. He was upfront about it in his applications and it got him the job he wanted. When he left a year later, he had lead authorship on two papers. Plus, the lab's director thought his salary was money well spent.

It's kind of amazing Peez and this other guy think they're spreading dirt on Damore, when the article they link to actually makes him look good. What a pair of maroons.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Police paid convicted child rapist to spy on Newcastle sex abusers

A convicted child rapist was paid nearly £10,000 by police to spy on a network of men who were sexually abusing young women and girls, it can now be reported.

The news comes as seventeen men and one woman were convicted for involvement in a sex grooming network in Newcastle, following a series of trials that ran over more than two years. The trials could not be reported until all were concluded for fear that they would be prejudiced.

The court was told that Northumbria police paid the man – referred to as XY – £9,680 over 21 months to attend parties where girls were being plied with drugs and alcohol, in order to gather evidence for their investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... on-shelter

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The NSPCC said the police’s decision to pay a child rapist and “plant him in the midst of vulnerable young girls” raised serious questions about the force’s approach to child sexual exploitation operations.

The use of the police informant emerged during a pre-trial hearing at Newcastle crown court. Barristers acting on behalf of the defendants attempted to get the cases thrown out because of XY’s involvement.

They highlighted allegations made by XY of police misconduct, particularly against his handler, and argued that he was unsuitable to be an informant.

Robin Patton, representing one of the defendants, said XY, a British Asian man in his 30s, was convicted of raping a child in 2002, having drugged her and invited someone else to rape her after he had. The court heard that XY was also subject to a suspended sentence at the time that he was paid by police.

After he was recruited, XY was arrested in 2015 on suspicion of a sexual offence against an underage girl who claimed a man approached her and made an indecent proposition. The case was later dropped.

Patton said public confidence in the administration of justice would be “substantially diminished” if they knew police had chosen such an individual to help their investigation into the exploitation of young people.

During the course of the hearing, which was open to journalists but not the general public, XY gave evidence from behind a screen. He described how he felt he was “doing good” when he worked for the police and that he enjoyed it.

XY said he was recruited because he acted as an informal taxi driver for some of the defendants. “I would get to know where they pick up their drugs, where the parties were,” he said, adding later: “I was chilling with the boys. I had to make it look like I was their friend.”

During his evidence he made a series of allegations against the police, but the judge, Penny Moreland, dismissed XY’s evidence as “inherently unreliable”, “lacking in credibility” and “clearly dishonest”. XY said his handler was only interested in gathering evidence on Asian males.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

He said his handler ignored him when he told him a complainant had admitted lying when she said one of the defendants had raped her. He also claimed that he was instructed to plant drugs in the home of one of the defendants. Moreland said she judged the claim “like everything else XY said, as wholly lacking in credibility”.

XY said during a trial in 2015 he was encouraged by his handler to listen in on private meetings between defendants and their legal representatives.

Moreland dismissed the application to get the case thrown out based on XY’s evidence, saying in her ruling: “I am not satisfied that there has been any misconduct in this regard on the part of the police … There is no evidence that any of the proper procedures for the handling of informants were breached, or of any improper conduct.”

She said there was no evidence that XY was guilty of any sexual misconduct towards the complainants.

Jon Brown, lead expert on tackling child sexual abuse at the NSPCC, said: “We are appalled to learn that police paid a child rapist and planted him in the midst of vulnerable young girls. You just couldn’t make it up.
“It beggars belief that it would ever have been considered, let alone approved, and serious questions must be asked about the force’s approach to child sexual exploitation operations.
Brown said that, however good the force’s intentions, their misguided actions ran “entirely counter to all current child protection procedures and what we know about sex offenders” and could have compromised the investigation.
He said that it was right that the men were behind bars. “What we mustn’t forget in all this is the victims who were preyed on by a series of despicable men for their own sexual gratification.”

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Malky wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:My parents had the first edition. I remember reading it in the 1980s without any pre knowledge and being shattered by the ending.

Never read this - so no
The movie was good too.

Despite the nagging feeling that the whole cast were going to break into a song and dance routine whenever Fred Astaire was on screen

Brive may appreciate the backup national anthem from that clip.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

She'll probably feel differently about that after a while.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

She'll probably feel differently about that after a while.
https://img.memecdn.com/im-right-there- ... 847064.jpg

:D

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I read it as a kid one Summer at the beach. I was fucking devastated by the ending, but read it again a couple of years later and appreciated it.

Around that same time I read Childhood's End, and thought the ending was fucking retarded.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Shatterface wrote:

A convicted child rapist was paid nearly £10,000 by police to spy on a network of men who were sexually abusing young women and girls, it can now be reported.

The news comes as seventeen men and one woman were convicted for involvement in a sex grooming network in Newcastle, following a series of trials that ran over more than two years. The trials could not be reported until all were concluded for fear that they would be prejudiced.

The court was told that Northumbria police paid the man – referred to as XY – £9,680 over 21 months to attend parties where girls were being plied with drugs and alcohol, in order to gather evidence for their investigation.
http://i.imgur.com/f6Ov95w.png

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Well, we now know what caused that google employee to decide to publish that memo. Dr. Peterson has been encouraging people to follow this path. (While clearly warning them of the risks involved).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

So Patheos now has a new look to go along with its e-begging. Looks a lot like the HuffPo, which is to say, a complete layout & design disaster.

Oh and, it can't seem to decide from click-to-click whether it has an Atheist Channel or a Nonreligious Channel.

Can't wait til the bloggers start turning on each other once El Dorado turns out to be a ghost town.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lauren Southern is still not taking the hint from Youtube yet.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Took a bit of searching, but I finally located TFA. Hemant wants your opinion on the new site design:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... r-with-us/

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

I'm sure Lemmy would approve.

Anyhoo, here's a classic track, the lyrics almost made it onto a really bad tattoo choice I made a few years back. Almost...

feathers

Post by feathers »

You made me google the Bible, you basturd!
2 thessalonians 3:10 wrote:For even when we were with you, we used to give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.

Malky

Post by Malky »

MarcusAu wrote:
Malky wrote:

Never read this - so no
The movie was good too.

Despite the nagging feeling that the whole cast were going to break into a song and dance routine whenever Fred Astaire was on screen

Brive may appreciate the backup national anthem from that clip.
To show even more ignorance never heard of this either :oops:

feathers

Post by feathers »

jet_lagg wrote:I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. It's like when someone goes into a bad neighborhood and gets jumped. I'm angry at the muggers, sure, but also sort of annoyed the person was dumb enough to go there to begin with. Working at Google he would have known how to cover his tracks. His mistake was assuming anything resembling good faith.
Perhaps it was suicide.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Even wearing a niqab can't stop the natural sluttiness of women from distracting men. :(
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.p ... temptation

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: http://i.imgur.com/f6Ov95w.png
Top row, second from right.

Brian Peppers is back??

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Proof the moon landings were faked.
The moon landings were staged by Frank Farian, using actors from Jamaica and Aruba.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

feathers wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. It's like when someone goes into a bad neighborhood and gets jumped. I'm angry at the muggers, sure, but also sort of annoyed the person was dumb enough to go there to begin with. Working at Google he would have known how to cover his tracks. His mistake was assuming anything resembling good faith.
Perhaps it was suicide.
http://i0.wp.com/braindeadradio.com/wp- ... =500%2C208

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Yesterday the 15th child this year was stabbed to death on the streets of London and we're only just into august.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

trigger warning

Guest_43d5d238

Post by Guest_43d5d238 »

Aye, gangs in London, it's all Sadiq Khan's fault, Boris had that shit locked down...

CaughtUpLockedOut.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/f6Ov95w.png
Second row, third from the left has been trouble for quite a while:

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/br ... 1002093651

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Technically, she is.
Hmm, can you be self-unemployed too?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Even wearing a niqab can't stop the natural sluttiness of women from distracting men. :(
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.p ... temptation
The Prophet was distracted by the sluttiness of nine year olds, who are you to think you're more moral than the Prophet? :twatson:

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/f6Ov95w.png
The ITV news report I watched earlier managed to cover 10 minutes without mentioning the words muslim or islam. Just a couple "Asian men" and a "Asian community" sneaked in there. Cunts.

Muslims

They are Muslims

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:Also, what's with all the double and triple posts recently?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/beertourprod/be ... 1391452782
http://www.truebeer.com/assets/images/T ... s-high.png

Problem?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:[img.]http://i.imgur.com/f6Ov95w.png[/img]
Second row, third from the left has been trouble for quite a while:

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/br ... 1002093651
That is not O.K.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I hate to say it, but if Trump takes N. Korea down without high casualties for the US, then he's guaranteed to quell the opposition and ensure reelection. I don't see how it could happen though unless China has completed washed its hands of N. Korea.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:
The British already did that. Where do you think platypus came from?
Erm, a Victorian explorer with a bowie knife and a large bottle of glue?