In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Kirbmarc »

Pharyngula has since become an unofficial subdivision of CAIR, with people posting hatchet jobs on Maajid Nawaz in the comments, defending Linda Sarsour, ignoring a white muslim professor who argued that muslim slavery was a-OK, and calling anyone who dares to criticize islam as a whole an islamophobe.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Richard Dawkins: 2.41m followers
Sam Harris: 928k
Daniel Dennett: 231k

Shoe: 181k
Armoured Skeptic: 105k
Sargon: [nuked by twitter]

Matt Dillahunty:57.8k
Aron Ra: 20.5k
Seth Andrews 11.5k

Carrier at 3,335 is low enough they give you the whole number when you look at his profile. Hitchens has been dead for over half a decade and still has more than that. What a joke.
YouTube sub figures tell a similar story:

AronRa
156,099 subscribers

Matt Dillahunty
73,526 subscribers

TheThinkingAtheist
236,228 subscribers

Sargon of Akkad
706,020 subscribers

Armoured Skeptic
409,564 subscribers

Shoe0nHead
819,854 subscribers
I think it is worth keeping in mind that popularity isn't THE key element. The likes of Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland aren't exactly social media superstars either but as jett_lagg also pointed out they're engaged in much of the gruntwork of real atheist and secular activism. The unglamorous but important work that I value far in excess of what most of the Youtube skeptics do. And far, far above the social justice slacktivists.

But yes, it does tell something of a useful story of the fading cultural relevance of A/S. The people who are most popular within A/S now aren't primarily people who focus on that arena exclusively (then again you could say the SJW brigade doesn't really focus on A/S either, they just float around that small pond because they can't compete with bigger names in the larger social justice ocean).

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Speaking of the red polo shirted one, when checking his Twitter to confirm the fairly low sub count (~26k), his pinned tweet is a statement about having gone vegan and stuck with it for 2 years (at the time; now nearly 3). And that before that he was vegetarian.

While I am neither, and have some issues with veganism, I can give him kudos, and suspect unlike certain other atheist bloggers I could mention he probably didn't repeatedly violate his own ethical code whenever anyone offered him some chicken wings.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Oh, and they banned Anjuli Pandavar for thoughtcrimes against the SocJus and islamophobia recently. Just like they ganged up on Jamila Bey for daring to speak at CPAC, calling her a sympathizer of (you guessed it) white supremacy. And they've ignored posts after posts of me and others pointing out that Maryam Namazie (one of her old bloggers) had been no-platformed because she had hurt the fee-fees of the islamic society of Goldsmith college (with the LGBT society acting as good dhimmis). Even worse a comment on Pharyngula called Namazie (a leftist) an islamophobe because she sided against the Muslim Brotherhood when they were trying to overthrow Al-Sisi.

I'm pretty sure many of them would agree with the Al-Jazeera article that singled out Bill Maher and other leftist criticis of islam as being worse "islamophobes" than the alt-right.

The Horde is a bunch of Regressives, full SJWs and other assorted nutters (trans-native american Caine, Nerd of Redhead, and others). I'm not surprised that they're still buddy-buddies with Amanda "I deliberately ignore video evidence that exonerates people accused of rape" Marcotte.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:I think it is worth keeping in mind that popularity isn't THE key element. The likes of Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland aren't exactly social media superstars either but as jett_lagg also pointed out they're engaged in much of the gruntwork of real atheist and secular activism. The unglamorous but important work that I value far in excess of what most of the Youtube skeptics do. And far, far above the social justice slacktivists.

But yes, it does tell something of a useful story of the fading cultural relevance of A/S. The people who are most popular within A/S now aren't primarily people who focus on that arena exclusively (then again you could say the SJW brigade doesn't really focus on A/S either, they just float around that small pond because they can't compete with bigger names in the larger social justice ocean).
The A/S movement is dead in the water because, at least in the "West", it has reached its goals, namely to make people unashamed of being atheists. At least in Europe and in many parts of the US being an atheist isn't a big deal.

People like Nugent do a lot of excellent work as supporters of local secular issues and promoters of real humanist values, and they do it as atheists, which is good. But the creationism fad (which was the main enemy of the A/S movement) is waning after it failed to be accepted as legitimate science within educational institutions. Creationists have been blown to smithereens when real scientists like Dawkins have bothered to argue against them, and now even Ken Ham and his Ark Museum are going down the drain.

Furthermore the youngest "Western" generations are more secular than ever: church attendance is at a record low, even for US megachurches, religious hypocrisy in priests and other religious figures is called out loudly, gay marriage is legal and likely here to stay. There's little need to repeatedly bash Christianity, and most of the work of secularist associations is "night-watchman secularism", making sure that what has been gained isn't lost, not active fighting. Christianity is still dangerous but it's under surveillance and more or less caged.

The next logical step would be to target islam, especially islam in the "west", where A/S criticism might matter: criticize its many flaws, point out its many contradictions, call out imams who preach nonsensical or theocratic or even worse violent messages, encourage ex-muslims to come out and give them a platform, etc. etc. Instead more often than not a lot of people in the A/S movement not only refuse to do this, but actively block, smear, de-platform, gang-pile on and falsely accuse those who do criticize islam.

Meanwhile an undue amount of time and attention has been devoted to people being asked out in elevators, fake jewelry, internet drama and trolling, spreading rumors about shady sexual behavior among people in the A/S community itself (and acting like private vigilante kangaroo juries instead of reporting any evidence of crimes to law enforcement), "micro-aggressions", and arguing in favor of woo like Critical Theory and "lived experience".

Is it really surprising that the A/S movement is fading? Anti-SJWs have found new outlets, while the SJWs don't really care about atheism or even secularism anymore, it's all about bashing other atheists for not being on board with the SJW program or for daring to talk about islam as a whole in negative terms. Of course once the goals of the A/S movement had been more or less reached a fading of interest was to be expected, but no new productive secularist goal was possible since criticism of islam constantly ran into accusations of racism and "islamophobia".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The benefit of being in permanent opposition is that you can propose anything and never have your ideas tested.

PZ, Greta, Amanda et al all appear to know what's best for everyone and know the most efficient tactics to use in order to accomplish these goals.

So they really owe it to the 'atheist community' to step up and provide it with the absolute best leadership possible.

These are the superhuman elite that can tear tanks apart with their hands after all.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Shatterface wrote:U.K. threat level had been increased to Critical. No indication of who might be a threat, or what might motivate them.
https://i.redd.it/fh8zjrlcbp0y.jpg

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
Is that Kirbmarc quoting PZ Myers to his acolytes and them effectively arguing against PZ? :D
They called old PZ a dirty islamophobe. And when the truth bomb was dropped some (like Nick Gotts) claimed that they made PZ see the light while the Big Peeze himself deleted his own old comments and claimed that he had been redeemed, so old ideas didn't count (while he's more than willing to dig up old "dirt" on anyone when he wants to post clickbait outrage for the Horde). To top it all off, he passively-aggressively wrote he really wished that I wouldn't bash my head in with a ball-peen hammer (oddly specific :lol: ).
https://i.imgur.com/rkNgfTR.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:The benefit of being in permanent opposition is that you can propose anything and never have your ideas tested.

PZ, Greta, Amanda et al all appear to know what's best for everyone and know the most efficient tactics to use in order to accomplish these goals.

So they really owe it to the 'atheist community' to step up and provide it with the absolute best leadership possible.

These are the superhuman elite that can tear tanks apart with their hands after all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seventeen Tiger Tanks, even! It'd be much easier if those tanks were Shermans.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The cherry on the the cake. In the thread where I posted the old Peezie quotes, someone wrote this:
I have never once punched anyone for insulting me, or any member of my family. Maybe we should start there. It’s obviously wrong to kill people for making insulting cartoons. But it’s also wrong to punch people for insulting you or your relatives. Maybe we all need to start at the root of the macho notions of violent reprisals that so many of us still can’t seem to grow out of. Violence, of any kind, should not be the response to speech, of any kind. There’s no such thing as “fighting words”.
A sensible comment, and at those times it was approved by important Hordelets like Tony!The QueerShoop, zenlike, Crip Dyke and others.

The same hordelets who are now A-OK with punching Nazis.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

PZ's lawyer, Marc Randazza, who co blogs at Popehat these days, is suing Google for Gab.ai for tossing Gab out of the Android play store for supposedly not censoring hate speech. Randazza's angle, Gab's angle is that this is a monopoly violation.
hacker news discussion
Is gab worse than twitter or facebook?
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/908795890877501441

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Google needs a good antitrust bitchslap or several.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Yeah, I'd be okay with seeing various units at google broken up. Google is getting far too evil these days.

At the least, I think "alternate android markets" like f-droid and the amazon android appstore should be listed in google play.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:Meanwhile, Peez and Greta still like to pretend they could be Leader of the Atheists if they felt like accepting the position. And of course infatuated Peez thinks boozehound Rebecca could do the same.

[.img]https://imgur.com/M0Wid0g.png[/img]

[.img]https://imgur.com/TivsvyA.png[/img]
There is grandeur in this delusion.

Also, Sleithsomething, not sure if troll?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Meanwhile the Secular Jihadists and Maajid Nawaz discuss the possibility of a reformation of islam:
You'd think that a discussion of secular ex-muslims and a liberal muslim about the issues of islam and how to deal with them would be at least a teensy bit interesting to atheist/secularist groups...but I guess it's better to bitch and moan about the fact that a Youtuber you don't like was invited to a conference.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Kirbmarc wrote:To top it all off, he passively-aggressively wrote he really wished that I wouldn't bash my head in with a ball-peen hammer (oddly specific :lol: ).
Reference to Theoore Streleski, a story that has American college professors in a col sweat to this day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc wrote:Meanwhile the Secular Jihadists and Maajid Nawaz discuss the possibility of a reformation of islam:
You'd think that a discussion of secular ex-muslims and a liberal muslim about the issues of islam and how to deal with them would be at least a teensy bit interesting to atheist/secularist groups...but I guess it's better to bitch and moan about the fact that a Youtuber you don't like was invited to a conference.

I would imagine that the Youtuber they don't like being invited for coffee and a chat at Nawaz's house recently didn't help either.

UKIP MEP Gerard Batten said on twitter recently that if Muslims had predomnently white skin the left would be shouting from the rooftops for Islam to be shut down; and there is the crux of the matter, the colour of skin trumps everything in SJW la la land.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I'm not really a fan of infowars but I have to say I do like this fella :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I caught this bit of virtue signalling because Peez retweeted it:

https://imgur.com/iLXkpiJ.png

But I missed this tweet shooting it down:

https://imgur.com/4wnP4zA.png

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Holy shit I found this old quote of Peezie. It's a doozy:
I am infested with the fleas of a thousand camels. One unfortunate side-effect of this trip to Ireland and the UK is that I have publicly engaged with Muslim creationists — there’s a bit of a dearth of them in Morris, Minnesota, and the few Muslims I have met there are there for the university, and are educated and intelligent — but now I’m on their radar, and my inbox has a new, exotic stench to it.
"Infested with the fleas of a thousand camels?" "Exotic stench"? You're not just an islamophobe, you're a racist, Peezie! :lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

(Note: I don't think the PZ quote is racist per se, since it's addressed to muslim creationists, not to an ethnicity, but he and his pals have cried racism for far less).

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Surpassed yourself again Ape .. Bravo Sir. :lol: :clap:

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

shoutinghorse wrote:I'm not really a fan of infowars but I have to say I do like this fella :lol:
He's definitely the best of the Infowars bunch, the others vary from entertaining nonsense to just boring, but he talks a lot of sense most of the time, and expresses it with gusto.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Surpassed yourself again Ape .. Bravo Sir. :lol: :clap:
:D Thank you!

It's weird how a retrograde 140-character messaging system turns so many people into frazzled addicts. Zinnia Jones has been teetering on the edge of sanity all week and finally set his account to private yesterday. There probably isn't a friend or foe left he hasn't pissed off.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote: I think it is worth keeping in mind that popularity isn't THE key element. The likes of Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland aren't exactly social media superstars either but as jett_lagg also pointed out they're engaged in much of the gruntwork of real atheist and secular activism. The unglamorous but important work that I value far in excess of what most of the Youtube skeptics do. And far, far above the social justice slacktivists.

The Four Horsemen had made their fame doing other things, then directed their considerable energies and talents to atheist activism.
Nugent is a very active activist.

In contrast, the so-called current crop of 'atheist celebrities' are minor lights, nobodies, green youngsters, or ne'er do wells who saw atheist activism as an easy gig. Their talent ranges from mediocre to non-existent, their work ethic the same.

feathers

Post by feathers »

That this should come as I have the theme of The Love Boat in my head, for some odd reason :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sunder wrote:I'd bet my left arm that if you put Greta and Becky in charge of anything, it would immediately become a race to see who could abdicate the most responsibility, followed by finger-pointing over whose fault it was that nothing got done on time or at all. They would absolutely not get along under such circumstances.
Greta? Ms Greta 'I-could-totally-destroy-your-argument-I-really-could-but-I'm-far-too-busy/tired-right-now' Christina? But where on earth would the flumpy old mare find the time or the energy? :lol:

And fucking Becky. Christ. I still can't get over the fact that she landed the sweetest, most undemanding gig you can imagine in writing regular fluff pieces for Popsci ('Hey guys! Guess what - these ghost detectors don't really work!!') - and she was even too slovenly for that.

TBH, I think both would be too bone idle to even argue over how bone idle the other one is.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

A new meme is born:-

I suspect it's possible people might have the wrong end of the stick though, someone who's offended by Milo "cumming" to Berkeley could easily be a Christian, not a "liberal."

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jet_lagg wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
I found an alien Pepe the Frog on one planet:
https://i.imgur.com/JwAvvvD.png
You fucking racist :lol:

I've since stopped playing as well. I used the black hole roulette to get within 30 jumps of the player hub but shortly (after far too much wasted warp fuel) discovered that the calculations were assuming a fully upgraded jump drive and I was actually hundreds of jumps away. It's just not worth it to continue. I need some sort of player interaction to make me care about the game, and even with the latest developments they err far too much on the side of grinding/lost in space.
Lol, hey, I'm not like that. It's just that planet who were the racist ones. There were Pepe's all over the place! I had to keep quiet about my shock. Can you imagine? An entire green nationalist planet! I was outnumbered. Just to make sure they didn't suspect that I wasn't like them, I only appeared at night (they'd have seen I was non-green under daylight) and I even fed them from my inventory a few times. Then, I went back to my ship and flew far, far away. What a narrow escape!

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

shoutinghorse wrote:I'm not really a fan of infowars but I have to say I do like this fella :lol:
Oh, the paper eater who says depression doesn't exist.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

He's blocked me. What does he want? More t-shirts?

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Some fots coming off of Ben Shapiro's speech last night. This is all very delicate territory of course.

The thing is, there are two ways I observe people are going re. the SJW/Alt Right stuff. One popular way is to say, "A plague on both your houses" and to ditch the idea of the identity politics on both Left and Right. Ben does this. But I'm increasingly persuaded that this is the wrong approach, and that while it's cute and fun to dismisss SJW-ism and the Alt Right entirely, a more Spencerian (Herbert of that ilk) approach that tries to see both positions in the best light and extract whatever genuine insight that both have, would be more fruitful - and in the long run conciliatory too. Over the past few months I've been digging quite deep into Alt Right thought, and I think I've managed to come out the other end with something that makes tolerable sense, without being seduced by the rhetoric. At least, I'm not goose-stepping in my bedroom in front of a portrait of Adolf with a comb on my septum. Yet :)

Ben's emphasis on the central problem being identity politics in both Left-wing and Right-wing directions definitely has some force, a lot of force; but it's a bit simplistic in both directions. There are actually some good points made by SJWs and there are some good points made by the Alt Right.

IOW there's some limited validity to the idea that what group you belong to has influence on your trajectory in life, either in terms of elective affinity, or in terms of what you're born into (either in terms of socioeconomic class or biology).

As per the old Left, class is important, and as per both Left-wing and Right-wing identity politics, race is important too. However, contra the identitarian Left, race is not a social construct but a biological reality, just as gender and sexual dimorphism are biological realities.

The central Alt Right worry in its bigotry-free form (i.e. when you strip away those less savoury aspects of Alt Right expression that really are down to lizard-brain mistrust of the Other) is this:-

It's not that all non-Whites can't dig White ideas and culture (in the sense of culture that originated and was developed primarily by white Europeans) - obviously many can and do. Ideas are ideas that stand or fall on their own merits, logic is logic, and it's possible for any member of any race to dig any idea originating with any other race.

The question is rather at the level of populations and averages - the question is, if Whites become minorities in their own lands (their ancestral European lands, or their long-term settled colonies) as a result of the propagandizing and pushing of multiculturalism and mass uncontrolled immigration by the "globalists" (ultimately, by the "banksters" and crony capitalists in collusion with politicians of both political stripes - incidentally, this is where the dreaded JQ comes in, the very nadir of the Red Pill trip, where it bottoms out, but that's a whole other thing), resulting in a seismic demographic shift over the next few decades, will there then be enough non-Whites who dig Western values to sustain and reproduce through time the nice, classically liberal culture he's talking about, that's so conducive to freedom and prosperity for large numbers of people?

Or will populations in which non-Whites are the majority not rather prefer their own family forms, cultural forms, folkways and political forms, and the White-originated system fade out of use? (To see this, think of the notorious difficulty non-White countries have had implementing liberal democracy; the difficulty they've had of shifting from kin-preference in hiring to meritocracy; of shifting from government and hierarchy based on the system of "baksheesh" to civil service based on abstract ideal of public service, etc.)

Of course this argument is based on premises that are themselves arguable. e.g. how tight is the connection between race and ideology? I myself think there is some connection, mainly through family forms (IOW ancestral environment shaped genes, which shape family forms, which shape culture). Again, ideas are ideas that have their own lego-like logic independent of how and where they originate, but that doesn't obviate the possibility that some ideas are more congenial to, more likely to develop from, some races than in others. Obviously the racial question itself - the biology - is open to doubt. But it's specious to argue that what we're talking about is mere "skin colour" - skin colour is just a superficial manifestation of a whole suite of average differences that run very deep, and throughout the whole body/brain structure across the races. There's a host of traits that are found on a scale that consistently has Asians at one end, Whites in the middle, and Blacks at the other end (and of course there are oddities and outliers all over the place, other ethnic groups that fall in odd places, but the general picture re. the three major human sub-species is highly consistent).

But even granted the arguability of this basic armature of the Alt Right position, and the basic Alt Right worry, it is not prima facie absurd. Any more than the proposition that there are indeed some lingering systemic inequities in society that face blacks, for example, or hispanics, or gays, or transgender people, is prima facie absurd.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Arlington VA police say they have units already on scene.

ArlingtonCountyPDVerified account
@ArlingtonVaPD
Official Arlington County, VA Police Dept twitter feed. Emergencies 911. Non-emergencies 703.558.2222. Not monitored 24/7. Terms of use:

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:Arlington VA police say they have units already on scene.

@ArlingtonVaPD
Official Arlington County, VA Police Dept twitter feed. Emergencies 911. Non-emergencies 703.558.2222. Not monitored 24/7. Terms of use:
Damn, hope he's ok :(

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

gurugeorge wrote:... a more Spencerian (Herbert of that ilk) approach that tries to see both positions in the best light and extract whatever genuine insight that both have, would be more fruitful - and in the long run conciliatory too. Over the past few months I've been digging quite deep into Alt Right thought ...
- A man after my own heart, or to borrow a phrase from Steersman: Good man.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:The question is rather at the level of populations and averages - the question is, if Whites become minorities in their own lands (their ancestral European lands, or their long-term settled colonies) as a result of the propagandizing and pushing of multiculturalism and mass uncontrolled immigration by the "globalists" (ultimately, by the "banksters" and crony capitalists in collusion with politicians of both political stripes - incidentally, this is where the dreaded JQ comes in, the very nadir of the Red Pill trip, where it bottoms out, but that's a whole other thing), resulting in a seismic demographic shift over the next few decades, will there then be enough non-Whites who dig Western values to sustain and reproduce through time the nice, classically liberal culture he's talking about, that's so conducive to freedom and prosperity for large numbers of people?
There might be if those "Western" (read: liberal democratic) were taught consistently and applied. There won't be if the choice is between a left obsessed with how liberal democracy sucks because it's the invention of Evil Whites and a right obsessed with how liberal democracy sucks because it allows Knuckle-Dragging Non-Whites to come in.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The Four Horsemen had made their fame doing other things, then directed their considerable energies and talents to atheist activism.

In contrast, the so-called current crop of 'atheist celebrities' are minor lights, nobodies, green youngsters, or ne'er do wells who saw atheist activism as an easy gig. Their talent ranges from mediocre to non-existent, their work ethic the same.
Just to be completely clear - are you including Sargon, Shoe and Armoured Skeptic in the current crop? Because I think only Armoured would really count as someone having a primary interest in atheism/religion.

Much as I might disagree with them - Matt Dilahunty (and the rest of the Austin crew) and Aron Ra are a cut above Becky, PZ when it comes to establishing a schedule and getting stuff done.

Maybe I'm a bit snooty - but I think the A/S conference scene (which is not the 'community' in general - if such a thing really exists anyway) would do better to get authors, journalists, scientists, teachers, even politicians (in other words people who have accomplished something) rather than youtube 'personalities' which most people can see for free any day of the week.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

...the prev page, re: ...Greta vs. Shoe0nhead...
This is a fine excuse for me to post the much-overlooked debate between Greta & Shoe...

https://youtu.be/Q3sxV3JIoRE

:dance:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

gurugeorge wrote:

@ArlingtonVaPD
Damn, hope he's ok :(
It looked from the Twitter feed that he threatened suicide, then summoned emergency services. Emergency services did arrive. I would add that his account may well have been hacked as unsurprisingly Mykeru has made a few enemies. We will have to wait and see.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

@ArlingtonVaPD
Thank you. I hope he's doing alright
He's blocked me. What does he want? More t-shirts?
Wow, you only needed 1 post to identify yourself as a psychopath.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Erm ... I believe I retweeted something similar a week or so ago. But basically, well ... read it for yourself

Female Viking Warrior
New evidence of Viking warrior women might not be what it seems
It was an exciting story, and headlines about Viking warrior women have been everywhere in the media. But the reality is more complex and probably says more about us than it does about Vikings. Several experts have come forward to question the evidence. Writing on her blog, University of Nottingham professor of Viking studies Judith Jesch says, "I have always thought (and to some extent still do) that the fascination with women warriors, both in popular culture and in academic discourse, is heavily, probably too heavily, influenced by 20th- and 21st-century desires." Today, many of us are eager to find examples of woman leaders in the past who are just as badass as our woman leaders today. And that might lead to misunderstanding history.
(underline is mine)

The link to the Judith Jesch blog post is here

So it sounded credible to me, not that I am all that informed about the culture apart from a reading of some of the sagas (a long time ago I might add).

Some Iceland Sagas for those who might be interested. I am only at chapter 11 of Egil's Saga.
Thorolf then answered angrily:

'So far am I from thinking you legitimate heirs that I am told your mother was taken by force, and carried home as a captive.'

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Po-lent stronk. Sargon in fine form:-

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:The question is rather at the level of populations and averages - the question is, if Whites become minorities in their own lands (their ancestral European lands, or their long-term settled colonies) as a result of the propagandizing and pushing of multiculturalism and mass uncontrolled immigration by the "globalists" (ultimately, by the "banksters" and crony capitalists in collusion with politicians of both political stripes - incidentally, this is where the dreaded JQ comes in, the very nadir of the Red Pill trip, where it bottoms out, but that's a whole other thing), resulting in a seismic demographic shift over the next few decades, will there then be enough non-Whites who dig Western values to sustain and reproduce through time the nice, classically liberal culture he's talking about, that's so conducive to freedom and prosperity for large numbers of people?
There might be if those "Western" (read: liberal democratic) were taught consistently and applied. There won't be if the choice is between a left obsessed with how liberal democracy sucks because it's the invention of Evil Whites and a right obsessed with how liberal democracy sucks because it allows Knuckle-Dragging Non-Whites to come in.
Yeah, I agree. The resolution is of course meritocracy and allowing as immigrants into one's country only those who bring some sort of contribution to it.

IOW, smart people of whatever race don't care about race, they have more in common with each other via their smarts than they have in common with others of their own race who don't understand them.

But if immigration is _uncontrolled,_ at a continually high level, without integration and without the possibility of economic progress, then it's quite possible you are going to get enough knuckle-draggers to make liberal democracy a thing of the past.

On the demographics, I'm of the opinion that ethnic replacement could be a non-negligible worry (even though actually personally I don't care, I'm a high Openness person, I have the "liberal" ant-smell, but if the Alt Right argument is right then it's a worry from the point of view of the death of memes I like), but for one important possible counter-vailing factor:-

Increasing prosperity and female education seems to be linked to the having of less children, and if that works for Whites, it's going to work for (properly immigrated and integrated, high quality) Browns, Yellows, Blacks, etc., who may well start off with the ethos of having umpteen kids, but will soon discover that having one and a half is quite sufficient when that gives you enough resources left over to start pursuing things higher up on Maslow's hierarchy.

(I also think that we're probably going to have a male pill at some point soon - and I agree with Dr. Randomercam that if we get solid male control over reproduction like that, it will be a massive game-changer, probably the most epochal thing since the agricultural revolution. Sooooo many social problems are related to the basic biology of the relatively low value of sperm and the relatively high value of ova. If men are able raise the value of sperm by making it scarcer, that's going to be huge, basically an end to the "war of the sexes," but also to all the social reverberations that flow from that.)

some guy

Post by some guy »

I wish Thunderf00t would learn how to edit videos like this guy does. T-f00t's version of this exact content would probably be 30 minutes long. He's edited it onto a mere 4:30 (the full version, in the link in his tweet).

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Further on my personal tastes wrt questions of race, homosexuality, weird "degenerate" behaviours, etc., FWIW (and partly by way of "coming up for air" after having been immersed in Alt Right literature for a while now).

Fundamentally, I'm as I said above, high on openness, low on disgust. As far as I'm concerned, bearded ladymen - meh, I do get a twinge of disgust, but my larger reaction is just amusement and "you go girl."

Lactatia, etc.- yeah it's creepy if it's the parents insinuating that stuff into the kid's life, fully as creepy as those pedo beauty pageants in the States, in its own way. But if it's something the kid had an impulse to that the parents are just supporting - then, again "you go girl."

My view is that society MUST have BOTH a "mainstream" - a relatively straightlaced, famil-based, blood-and-soil-based, religion-based set of mores that serves the larger gene pool - AND an underground, where the misfits, the damaged, the degenerates, etc., live. I am one of those myself. And I don't care if a bunch of workers with bum cleavages hoot and call me a degenerate, laugh and point. Like Quentin Crisp, I will sally on proudly. Sticks and stones, etc. So there's a whole slew of SJW stuff that's about trying to mind-control thick peoples' lizard brains into obedience, about transforming the mainstream into a giant underground, that's just total bullshit. It serves neither the mainstream nor the underground, it just creates an authoritarian mess and destroys the very pillars of society that hold up both the mainstream and the underground itself, as synergistic halves that need each other to Other.

I think the problem with traditionalist societies was simply that they mixed up social shaming and social sanction (which is fine, I can take it) with legal sanction and the forcing of mainstream mores down degenerates' throats. This led to an equally silly reaction from the Left in the totally opposite direction, of thrusting underground mores by force on the mainstream. That's been wrong and evil.

At the root of it all, we come back to what was discovered by classical liberalism: the experimental idea of politics. Let a thousand flowers bloom (for real this time), let people segregate naturally, let there be many social experiments in an attempt to discover a Good Life that is not known apriori by anyone, and let us learn from each other when others are successful. And let that patchwork be overseen by a skeleton state that has great power, but only to enforce the most basic rights that protect the individual's life, liberty, property and right of exit.

Otherwise, dear "liberals" - let them hoot and holler, let them feel disgust, stop trying to mind control them, it's absolutely counter-productive and won't bring the freedom you think it will bring.

Curses brace, blessings relax.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

some guy

Post by some guy »

Tigzy wrote:
Sunder wrote:I'd bet my left arm that if you put Greta and Becky in charge of anything, it would immediately become a race to see who could abdicate the most responsibility, followed by finger-pointing over whose fault it was that nothing got done on time or at all. They would absolutely not get along under such circumstances.
Greta? Ms Greta 'I-could-totally-destroy-your-argument-I-really-could-but-I'm-far-too-busy/tired-right-now' Christina? But where on earth would the flumpy old mare find the time or the energy? :lol:

And fucking Becky. Christ. I still can't get over the fact that she landed the sweetest, most undemanding gig you can imagine in writing regular fluff pieces for Popsci ('Hey guys! Guess what - these ghost detectors don't really work!!') - and she was even too slovenly for that.

TBH, I think both would be too bone idle to even argue over how bone idle the other one is.
Well, to be fair, Greta actually does regularly write books that actually get published. Not that anyone I know reads them, but IMO it represents an ability to commit to, and execute with sustained effort, a large project over many months, and see it to completion. Becky doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to sustain her interest on something for more than a day or so. (Where is Quizotron, that new pod-cast, and those other exciting projects she said she was going to branch out into?)

Heina Dadabhoy is in the Becky mold: take the free money, and never deliver. I will bet a lot that, not only will "A Skeptic's Guide to Islam" by Heina Dadabhoy not be released by the current projected Dec 2017, (that release date nearly 4 years after she promised it would be released) but it will never ever get released. All those sucker's that gave her money should have known that, if you give money to someone who has never actually accomplished anything before, it's unlikely that they will do so now.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The Four Horsemen had made their fame doing other things, then directed their considerable energies and talents to atheist activism.

Just to be completely clear - are you including Sargon, Shoe and Armoured Skeptic in the current crop? Because I think only Armoured would really count as someone having a primary interest in atheism/religion.

Much as I might disagree with them - Matt Dilahunty (and the rest of the Austin crew) and Aron Ra are a cut above Becky, PZ when it comes to establishing a schedule and getting stuff done.

Maybe I'm a bit snooty - but I think the A/S conference scene (which is not the 'community' in general - if such a thing really exists anyway) would do better to get authors, journalists, scientists, teachers, even politicians (in other words people who have accomplished something) rather than youtube 'personalities' which most people can see for free any day of the week.
I consider Sargon, Shoe and Armoured to be socio-political pundits with skeptical and libertarian leanings, not (previously) directly involved in A/S. And they're just vloggers.

I really know very little about Dillahunty, only that he keeps showing up everywhere. Aron Ra does not impress me beyond a voice made for radio. I find him pedantic and trite and not terribly swift.

A/S activism forgot that conferences and such are meant to serve the cause, not be the cause itself. The cons themselves pretty much suck, and I get to say that, having put on far more formidable events. Lauren Lane is such an inept, talentless hack, Skepticon is forever running out of cash, and they can't even release a speakers list or itinerary 60 days before their upcoming event. The Novella brothers run their own little shin-dig, but of course shat the bed last year. And don't forget the infamous TAM! in Vegas, managed by a 20-something who thought is was okay for her to 'punch the clock' and go out partying and boozing and hooking up during the event.

And yes, it's the same dozen minor lights who get booked again and again. For mythicism, it was always Dicky Carrier and Dave Fitzgerald, two self-published clowns. (Their group grope with the head of Skepticon surely had nothing to do with their repeated gigs there.) Why not René Salm, an highly erudite guy, and expert on the history of mythicism, who's written two books on how Nazareth didn't exist when Jesus of Nazareth supposedly live there?

Surely hundreds of researchers could be found willing to speak on their fields and fascinating findings. Yet it was all Peez, all the time, blathering about his bizarre, unorthodox version of evolution.

And who always gets the call to appear on FOX? Hoary Dan Barker of FFRF, who can't shut up about how the bible is filled with perversion and ultraviolence.

A fucking slag of dross.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I would imagine the ultimate archer would have a bow in each hand.

Matt Cavanaugh

Not Enough Spoons

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

some guy wrote: Well, to be fair, Greta actually does regularly write books that actually get published. Not that anyone I know reads them, but IMO it represents an ability to commit to, and execute with sustained effort, a large project over many months, and see it to completion.
She's written 4 self-published books on atheism, plus a porn "novella", and also edited a collection helpful tips from prostitutes published by an obscure kink press:

Paying For It: A Guide by Sex Workers for Their Clients, (2004) (editor)
183 pages
Greenery Press

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless, (2012)
184 pages
Dirty Heathen Publishing

Coming Out Atheist: How to Do It, How to Help Each Other, and Why, (2014)
439 pages
Dirty Heathen Publishing

Comforting Thoughts About Death That Have Nothing to Do with God, (2015)
120 pages
Pitchstone Press

Bending: Dirty Kinky Stories About Pain, Power, Religion, Unicorns, & More, (2013)
208 pages
Dirty Heathen Publishing

The Way of the Heathen: Practicing Atheism in Everyday Life, (2016)
224 pages
Pitchstone Publishing

1,358 words produced in 12 years, or 236 words p/a.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

How to properly punch a Nazi, in some detail, with suitable caveats and self-defense tips:-

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jerry's got a post up on the upcoming Free Speech Week at Berkley. Several staff are trying to stage a boycott and asking students not to attend, as well as petitioning to cancel regular classes and not compel students to be on campus.

While this clearly smacks of a tantrum and is probably bad strategy, it isn't silencing the speakers nor punishing those who want to attend, so I can't say I'm strongly against it.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Fun concretization of the mind-boggling rate of technological progress (of some things) under capitalism:-

"Consider the 256 GB memory iPhone X: Implemented in vacuum tubes in 1957, the transistors in an iPhoneX alone would have:

cost 150 trillion of today's dollars: one and a half times today's global annual product
taken up a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
drawn 150 terawatts of power—30 times the world's current generating capacity"

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

gurugeorge wrote:Fun concretization of the mind-boggling rate of technological progress (of some things) under capitalism:-

"Consider the 256 GB memory iPhone X: Implemented in vacuum tubes in 1957, the transistors in an iPhoneX alone would have:

cost 150 trillion of today's dollars: one and a half times today's global annual product
taken up a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
Invented in Africa many years ago and stolen and patented by white honky colonialists.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

gurugeorge wrote:Fun concretization of the mind-boggling rate of technological progress (of some things) under capitalism:-

If you are thinking of upgrading your PC - there is a 5MB hard drive available:

https://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item19865/5mbgdd.jpg

State of the art for 1956.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Invented in Africa many years ago and stolen and patented by white honky colonialists.
Mancala is a quantum computer.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

18 minutes of some pretty catchy music, also, ode to the yoni.