In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
SM1957

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by SM1957 »

MarcusAu wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Fun concretization of the mind-boggling rate of technological progress (of some things) under capitalism:-

"Consider the 256 GB memory iPhone X: Implemented in vacuum tubes in 1957, the transistors in an iPhoneX alone would have:

cost 150 trillion of today's dollars: one and a half times today's global annual product
taken up a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
drawn 150 terawatts of power—30 times the world's current generating capacity"
If you are thinking of upgrading your PC - there is a 5MB hard drive available:

https://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item19865/5mbgdd.jpg

State of the art for 1956.
I had a 100Mb drive delivered to the firm I worked for on a fork-lift truck. That makes me feel very old.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

You think you're old, the first floppy disk I used was 56 inches across.

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:[twaat]https://twitter.com/cvanderakt/status/9 ... 9097945093[/tweet]

18 minutes of some pretty catchy music, also, ode to the yoni.
I especially liked the octopus outfit, right after the free-farter. (5 minutes in)

https://i.imgur.com/DRxIrPO.png

Keating

Post by Keating »

Bret Weinstein and his wife settled with Evergreen and have resigned.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:You think you're old, the first floppy disk I used was 56 inches across.

My first computer was the size of the planet's core and unleashed monsters from my Id.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/b6/61 ... bc046d.jpg

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Keating wrote:Bret Weinstein and his wife settled with Evergreen and have resigned.
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

I get it. I really do. I hope they didn't sell for cheap, either.

But settlement is just terrible for everybody who isn't them. Records get sealed away as part of the conditions. The truth is buried and forgotten.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

My poor Krell!

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Speaking of octopus, is that PZ entering at 8:32?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Sunder wrote:
Keating wrote:Bret Weinstein and his wife settled with Evergreen and have resigned.
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

I get it. I really do. I hope they didn't sell for cheap, either.

But settlement is just terrible for everybody who isn't them. Records get sealed away as part of the conditions. The truth is buried and forgotten.
According to that video, they settled for $450,000 plus $50,000 toward their lawyers (from an original figure on the lawsuit of $3.8 million.

The school crows that all its actions were just and correct.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

So basically the crappiest outcome.

I don't know how angry I should be at the Weinsteins. Maybe it's unfair but this feels like a betrayal even though I saw it coming miles away because settlement is the default outcome of such suits.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Sunder wrote:So basically the crappiest outcome.

I don't know how angry I should be at the Weinsteins. Maybe it's unfair but this feels like a betrayal even though I saw it coming miles away because settlement is the default outcome of such suits.
Yeah, but the internet never forgets. Many people have seen the videos, downloaded and saved them; and judging by the regular-as-clockwork news we have of even quite liberal colleges losing customers and finance after such shenanigans, it's probably not going to do Evergreen any good. In fact, once this news gets out I suspect the internet will continue to rub Evergreen's nose in it.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who came away thinking the alt-right concerns about demographic changes have some weight to them. Admitting as much makes me literally Hitler I know, but we crossed that line a long time ago. I wonder if I get any credit for my conviction that the emancipation of women, their unconditional autonomy vis-à-vis childbirth, is the solution?

On the male birth control front, has everyone heard about RISUG? A polymer is injected into the vas deferens which renders sperm inert (I'd read that the polyectrolyte effect was involved, alternating positive and negative charges ripping up the passing cells, but the wiki page says the mechanism is still not understood). An additional injection can be given later to flush out the polymer, making it a non-invasive and reversible procedure. Definitely a game changer if things pan out.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

What's really needed though is a legal precedent. One that will make other schools think twice about trying to follow in Evergreen's footsteps and more easily enable legal challenges if they do so.

This can't happen if every potential challenge ends in settlement before a judge or jury can make a decision.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Shatterface wrote:
Guest_936d3dec wrote:You think you're old, the first floppy disk I used was 56 inches across.

My first computer was the size of the planet's core and unleashed monsters from my Id.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/b6/61 ... bc046d.jpg

Reality:

https://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2 ... peg-3.jpeg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote: I think it is worth keeping in mind that popularity isn't THE key element. The likes of Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland aren't exactly social media superstars either but as jett_lagg also pointed out they're engaged in much of the gruntwork of real atheist and secular activism. The unglamorous but important work that I value far in excess of what most of the Youtube skeptics do. And far, far above the social justice slacktivists.

But yes, it does tell something of a useful story of the fading cultural relevance of A/S. The people who are most popular within A/S now aren't primarily people who focus on that arena exclusively (then again you could say the SJW brigade doesn't really focus on A/S either, they just float around that small pond because they can't compete with bigger names in the larger social justice ocean).
The Four Horsemen had made their fame doing other things, then directed their considerable energies and talents to atheist activism.
Nugent is a very active activist.

In contrast, the so-called current crop of 'atheist celebrities' are minor lights, nobodies, green youngsters, or ne'er do wells who saw atheist activism as an easy gig. Their talent ranges from mediocre to non-existent, their work ethic the same.
What are the combined book sales of Boozy, PZ and TieMeUpandHumiliateMeAndGangRapeMe? Then compare those sales to let's say the sales of Dawkin's worst selling book.

Conclusion? Dawkins is a fascist. Because merit is fascism.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

jet_lagg wrote:I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who came away thinking the alt-right concerns about demographic changes have some weight to them. Admitting as much makes me literally Hitler.
Not to me. I agree with you.
On the male birth control front, has everyone heard about RISUG? A polymer is injected into the vas deferens which renders sperm inert (I'd read that the polyectrolyte effect was involved, alternating positive and negative charges ripping up the passing cells, but the wiki page says the mechanism is still not understood). An additional injection can be given later to flush out the polymer, making it a non-invasive and reversible procedure. Definitely a game changer if things pan out.
I'm surprised that hasn't been included in the list of what NLP can do. :lol: At least not that I've heard. Has it?

Not that I'm sure it couldn't.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

gurugeorge wrote:Fun concretization of the mind-boggling rate of technological progress (of some things) under capitalism:-

"Consider the 256 GB memory iPhone X: Implemented in vacuum tubes in 1957, the transistors in an iPhoneX alone would have:

cost 150 trillion of today's dollars: one and a half times today's global annual product
taken up a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
Building microprocessors out of discrete ttl chips (logic gates in a dip package) is a bit of a thing. Lot's of youtube videos about them. I even downloaded some of the designs into my EDA program Labcenter Proteus and simulated them on my computer in realtime, about 5MHz. Was pissed off to find that there are no boards anywhere that run a DOS computer. I have a FPGA board ($15 from China) that could easily handle an 8086 chip with memory and BIOS and glue logic to make such a system, but nobody has one. There is a ton of software out there for DOS, compilers and assemblers and the like. I can buy a fully pinned out board with a Cortex M3 Arm - one notch below the Smartphone Arms - from STMicroelectronics for $15 and the thing has all the peripheral devices you could hope for AD, DACs, TImers, PWM, PLL, CAN, SPI, I2C, USB etc plus tons of IO pins, with an in circuit debugger programmer built in, screaming away in full 32 bit at 72MHz for a Cortex M3 or 180MHz for a Cortex M4, but damn those clunky old 4.17MHz XT DOS machines were fun.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

MacGruberKnows wrote:

Building microprocessors out of discrete ttl chips (logic gates in a dip package) is a bit of a thing. Lot's of youtube videos about them. I even downloaded some of the designs into my EDA program Labcenter Proteus and simulated them on my computer in realtime, about 5MHz. Was pissed off to find that there are no boards anywhere that run a DOS computer. I have a FPGA board ($15 from China) that could easily handle an 8086 chip with memory and BIOS and glue logic to make such a system, but nobody has one. There is a ton of software out there for DOS, compilers and assemblers and the like. I can buy a fully pinned out board with a Cortex M3 Arm - one notch below the Smartphone Arms - from STMicroelectronics for $15 and the thing has all the peripheral devices you could hope for AD, DACs, TImers, PWM, PLL, CAN, SPI, I2C, USB etc plus tons of IO pins, with an in circuit debugger programmer built in, screaming away in full 32 bit at 72MHz for a Cortex M3 or 180MHz for a Cortex M4, but damn those clunky old 4.17MHz XT DOS machines were fun.
Heh, many of those terms are way over my head, but as someone who pottered about a little bit with circuitry in my youth and has built my own computers, messing around with something like that would definitely be somewhere on my bucket list in an extended lifespan, just behind things like seeing Teotihuacan, hang-gliding, a coked-up ménage à trois, etc. :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who came away thinking the alt-right concerns about demographic changes have some weight to them. Admitting as much makes me literally Hitler I know, but we crossed that line a long time ago. I wonder if I get any credit for my conviction that the emancipation of women, their unconditional autonomy vis-à-vis childbirth, is the solution?
One of the problem with alt-right concerns about demographic changes is that they assume a static situation from the current and project it onto the future. They're fatalistic and essentialist, the counterpart of the SocJus belief that immigrants and "non-whites" in general will always vote progressive and democrat (when actually a conservative party/GOP that wasn't pandering to white identity politics could easily pick up a lot of votes in conservative black and Latino US communities, and muslims are the most conservative demographic of all immigrants).

The trick to deal with demographic concerns is to abandon the race-based identity politics and adopt a national identity based on service/participation/integration. The trick to deal with conservative islam, for example, is to get muslims to integrate by promoting secularism instead of giving platforms and power to "muslim community leaders".

The majority of the issues with immigration come from the facts that the left sees immigration as always a net good or even a moral imperative, and immigrants as groups with "collective interests", while the right sees immigration as always or largely a net bad, and a moral concern, and immigrants as groups with "collective plans". It's time to ditch the collectivist paradigms and see immigration as good or bad according to the specific merits of the specific people you let in, and immigrants as individuals with rights AND responsibilities.

But that's not good for moral posturing, simple slogans and/or scaremongering. It's not good for winning elections, national or local, by appealing to identity politics, either white identity politics or non-white identity politics. It's not good for selling papers or for implementing social engineering plans. So we trudge along with simplistic sweeping interpretations that must be later converted in specific policies, instead of focusing on specific policies right from the start.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

LOL!. 'Freethought Resistance' seems to be withering on the vine. Nothing posted since their 'Call to Resistance' protest for July 15. Anyone miss it? I saw a picture of a dozen angry muppets that day, that was about it. By the logic of the crazy new left, as best espoused by Dan Arel, if you aren't protesting against Trump, you are literally killing black people, and guys in wigs and dresses. Why is Freethought Resistance killing blacks and trannies? And on that vein, Dan has literally not punched a Nazi. Ever. If you are not punching Nazi's you are enabling Nazi's and Nazi enablers are as bad as Nazi's. Why is Dan enabling Nazi's? Why is Dan as bad as a Nazi? Something for Dan to thing about over a Starbucks.

Is it just me or is Dan your favorite new SJW? His lack of irony is a little more obvious than PZ.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Is it just me or is Dan your favorite new SJW? His lack of irony is a little more obvious than PZ.
PZ is boring these days, he's become all about repeating that he sucks and that women, especially Rebecca Watson, are so much better than he is. Arel is properly unhinged, good lolcow material, and carries on seeing Nazis everywhere.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Kirbmarc wrote:The cherry on the the cake. In the thread where I posted the old Peezie quotes, someone wrote this:
I have never once punched anyone for insulting me, or any member of my family. Maybe we should start there. It’s obviously wrong to kill people for making insulting cartoons. But it’s also wrong to punch people for insulting you or your relatives. Maybe we all need to start at the root of the macho notions of violent reprisals that so many of us still can’t seem to grow out of. Violence, of any kind, should not be the response to speech, of any kind. There’s no such thing as “fighting words”.
A sensible comment, and at those times it was approved by important Hordelets like Tony!The QueerShoop, zenlike, Crip Dyke and others.

The same hordelets who are now A-OK with punching Nazis.

sounds more to me like a pussy justifying allowing the cool kids to stick his head in a toilet.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody seen that anarchist professor (not another fucking one!) with the giraffe neck (really, I thought I was shopping in Toys R Us), who has got exposed tweeting about wanting cops dead. You know the usual FTB "we hate pigs" nonsense that anarchist and SJW poseurs trot out. He's now on administrative leave, and the mob online are after his blood.

No sympathy.

But what gets me is just the amount of Marxist and Communist professors in the universities, who are openly advocating violence. Maybe, just maybe, it is time for some of the funding to be cut. Get rid of the some the wasters in these humanities departments.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:The trick to deal with demographic concerns is to abandon the race-based identity politics and adopt a national identity based on service/participation/integration. The trick to deal with conservative islam, for example, is to get muslims to integrate by promoting secularism instead of giving platforms and power to "muslim community leaders".

The majority of the issues with immigration come from the facts that the left sees immigration as always a net good or even a moral imperative, and immigrants as groups with "collective interests", while the right sees immigration as always or largely a net bad, and a moral concern, and immigrants as groups with "collective plans". It's time to ditch the collectivist paradigms and see immigration as good or bad according to the specific merits of the specific people you let in, and immigrants as individuals with rights AND responsibilities.
That does it for me, you have my vote.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

OK, a little reading tells me this thing is centered around an A11.

I would take the A6 over the A11 anyday.

https://www.cstatic-images.com/car-pict ... 021001.png

And the A10 would kick the crap out of the A11:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AtyXkN2pWu4/maxresdefault.jpg

So much for progress.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Sunder wrote:What's really needed though is a legal precedent. One that will make other schools think twice about trying to follow in Evergreen's footsteps and more easily enable legal challenges if they do so.

This can't happen if every potential challenge ends in settlement before a judge or jury can make a decision.
The lack of applications next year will hit them harder than any fine.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

TiBo wrote:
He's blocked me. What does he want? More t-shirts?
Wow, you only needed 1 post to identify yourself as a psychopath.
I'm sorry; I fucked up badly. Didn't take your post seriously. My sincere apologies to everyone.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

FYI - A local police twitter account already confirmed that services were sent 10 hours ago.

I am not 100% sure what happened, but either Mykeru's twitter account was hacked, or he majorly fell off of the wagon and was looking at ending it.
-Soylent

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Sunder wrote:So basically the crappiest outcome.

The crappiest outcome would be they drop the suit with no settlement. The settlement at least indicates that Evergreen's administration didn't think it could win the suit. I'm not sure this was the best outcome for them, though. I understand why they wouldn't want to risk court, but they could ave won more money, and if they were worried about their war chest, they probably could have crowdfunded some of it.

I don't thing Brent is going to to get much more attention for the Evergreen thing now that it's officially over, but I'm not sure he or his wife will be employable in the rest of academia. Also, the way they did this doesn't do much for the wider issue. I think fighting the suit through in court could have advanced Brent's career, if he wanted to change paths and go in a more political direction.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Great bit of Haidt:-

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Tibo:
SOME USA AMERICAN: HELP MYKERU NOW
HIS LIFE IS AT DANGER
CALL 911 NOW
FWIW, I didn't see the bolded, or understand it's significance, and did sort of wonder why you hadn't notified them.

And then I did think about it for a minute or two, and MFW Kitty Genovese, made a phone call.

Also FWIW, I reported it through twitter, showed them the tweet, picked the option "someone is threatening suicide etc", and near as I can tell, all twitter did was block that one specific tweet from ever being seen by me again. Didn't tell me someone would look into it, or give me a ticket number or anything.

Anyway, when I made the call, the police had already been notified, but I am actually very glad you posted it here.

And I hope Mykey is okay. Seems ironic (or maybe obvious) that this takes place after a week of you current pitters describing your various fighs with depression.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:Tibo:
SOME USA AMERICAN: HELP MYKERU NOW
HIS LIFE IS AT DANGER
CALL 911 NOW
FWIW, I didn't see the bolded, or understand it's significance, and did sort of wonder why you hadn't notified them.

And then I did think about it for a minute or two, and MFW Kitty Genovese, made a phone call.

Also FWIW, I reported it through twitter, showed them the tweet, picked the option "someone is threatening suicide etc", and near as I can tell, all twitter did was block that one specific tweet from ever being seen by me again. Didn't tell me someone would look into it, or give me a ticket number or anything.

Anyway, when I made the call, the police had already been notified, but I am actually very glad you posted it here.

And I hope Mykey is okay. Seems ironic (or maybe obvious) that this takes place after a week of you current pitters describing your various fighs with depression.
Know what gets me depressed? Week long fucking discussions of depression. Especially when Steerbot and Jimhugabugger are leading it. Fortunately, both have gone into remission, at about the same time. Now that does make me wonder.

And I will ask this again with regards to Steersbot, a steer does not produce semen, therefore it is not male. And it is not female. And since as Steersbot says, an animal is sexually binary, either female or male and nothing else, what then is a steer?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

As for flouncey bouncy, if he died by being buried under a pile of unsold $35 t-shirts, well,

I would fucking die of death by laughing myself to death.

Sorry but not too sorry, I came onto this board at the time Mykeru was flouncing and I saw him as brittle, snippy and somewhat humorless apparatchnik, all for the cause. An ankle biter.
The campaign to gang-goon the crappy little university where PZ works to get him fired? Fuck me, that's the shit that makes me hate SJW's. Sleep the sleep of champions Mykeryu. You have earned it. Then hopefully wake up and get over the hangover.

And quit the fucking theatrics.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who came away thinking the alt-right concerns about demographic changes have some weight to them. Admitting as much makes me literally Hitler I know, but we crossed that line a long time ago. I wonder if I get any credit for my conviction that the emancipation of women, their unconditional autonomy vis-à-vis childbirth, is the solution?
One of the problem with alt-right concerns about demographic changes is that they assume a static situation from the current and project it onto the future. They're fatalistic and essentialist, the counterpart of the SocJus belief that immigrants and "non-whites" in general will always vote progressive and democrat (when actually a conservative party/GOP that wasn't pandering to white identity politics could easily pick up a lot of votes in conservative black and Latino US communities, and muslims are the most conservative demographic of all immigrants).

The trick to deal with demographic concerns is to abandon the race-based identity politics and adopt a national identity based on service/participation/integration. The trick to deal with conservative islam, for example, is to get muslims to integrate by promoting secularism instead of giving platforms and power to "muslim community leaders".

But that's not good for moral posturing, simple slogans and/or scaremongering. It's not good for winning elections, national or local, by appealing to identity politics, either white identity politics or non-white identity politics. It's not good for selling papers or for implementing social engineering plans. So we trudge along with simplistic sweeping interpretations that must be later converted in specific policies, instead of focusing on specific policies right from the start.
I think that's all true and valid up to a point, but with respect you're still slightly missing the nub of the Alt Right idea. For the "national identity based on service/participation/integration" to be forged, there has to be a majority White population grounding it, because with a majority non-White populace that kind of ideal won't be self-generated, whereas it is self-generated by Whites, who then form a sort of stable population that keeps the ideal refreshed through time, from whom the ideal naturally flows, who exemplify the ideal as something to be emulated. This is so regardless of the fact that there will be substantial numbers (in absolute terms) of non-Whites who are happy to go with the program, who see the sense in it - the problem is simply that if the demographics shift towards non-Whites, there just won't be (in terms of averages and the population as a whole) enough of them, and instead, the majority will establish their former home culture that they brought with them, and insensibly alter the overall tone.

To look at it from another point of view, Whites are a bit odd in the way they glue themselves together socially, they're the odd one out in terms of human beings generally. Whatever the reason may be from our ancestral environment. Some hypothesize it's a combination of archaic Northern European hunter-gatherer egalitarianism, overlaid by a meritocratic/heroic system inherited from Bronze Age Indo-European invaders, who themselves evolved from remnants of even more archaic pre-Ice age Northern European groups who had been pushed South by the Ice Age. At any rate, while most other human racial groups (most importantly for our purposes, Blacks, Semitic types and Asians) co-ordinate primarily by means of kinship or clannishness (hence the thing about difficulties ingraining liberal democracy in non-White cultures), Whites are odd in bonding primarily by means of abstract ideals, deviation from which is altruistically punished by others in the in-group. (This isn't to say there's no sense of clannishness at all among Whites, and no sense at all of being driven by ideals in other ethnic groups - Asians in particular also have a strong sense of being driven by ideals - it's just the overall weighting and overall tendencies in populations we're talking about.)

So "national identity based on service/participation/integration" really sings to the White soul, it sounds like just the ticket. It will also sing to the souls of some non-Whites - but probably not to enough of them for that ideal to be generated and sustained by a majority non-White population. You need the White population to be a reasonably solid majority (probably a bit more than the 60% it is now in the US) to keep the multi-ethnic orchestra focused and on-point, so to speak. Then what you're talking about can be done, then there is something to integrate into. (Note: while the Alt Right proper is more dead set against any immigration, the common or garden Right has no visceral objection to it in principle, provided "they're sending their best people" :) )

All this is made up of the thousand tiny encounters and gestures of the day. For example, in the UK, queuing used to be a thing. It's just obvious that it's the fairest way of sorting out who gets on the bus in what order, given random arrival and no-one's need being held to be more important than anyone else's, particularly (unless it is, e.g. someone with an infirmity, etc.). But now, in majority non-White London, queuing is rarer than it used to be - maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10, at a rough estimate, people just stand around in random positions, and when the bus comes everyone jostles at the bus door - politely enough, but with no order to it, so that the granny who arrived first may well find her nose pressed to the back of some strapping youth who arrived long after she did. I exaggerate and highlight, but this is the general flavour of a subtle change that's come with the shift in the composition of the population, in just this one relatively trivial everyday matter. (Then again, sometimes people do still queue, Whites and non-Whites alike - it depends on the socieconomic class and area often enough. But in days of yore, the British working class would queue too. I'm old enough to remember it, having been born in 1959. Rowdy schoolkids might not queue of course, but then the bus driver would likely call them to order. If you watch old black and white British movies, such as Ealing comedies, life in London really was as generally twee, civil and orderly as they depict, even as late as the late 60s. It's some time in the 70s when things really started to shift noticeably, when manners coarsened. Of course that's also partly the influence of Marcuse et al too, with the Frankfurt School touting of transgression and constant critique, and criminals being viewed as instinctively revolutionary dindus.)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Old_ones wrote:The crappiest outcome would be they drop the suit with no settlement.
Sure, but that outcome was never really on the table. Same with them pressing the suit and then losing. It could happen, but wouldn't have, because they were very clearly in the right. We got the worst outcome of the outcomes that were actually realistic.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I can't complain they settled, there are probably many reasons for that.

I do wish that their settlement was $1M or more, being two professors with 10 - 20 years of a career left, and pensions, etc., I think settling at $225K a piece is a fiscal wash and they deserved much more than that.

So as a signal, it's troubling they settled for so little.

And as a signal to Evergreen, anything less clear and obvious than the court punching their President's face will be lost.

I'm hoping James Damore doesn't settle, but I can't fault people for settling. Lawsuits are nasty shit.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I can't complain they settled, there are probably many reasons for that.

I do wish that their settlement was $1M or more, being two professors with 10 - 20 years of a career left, and pensions, etc., I think settling at $225K a piece is a fiscal wash and they deserved much more than that.

So as a signal, it's troubling they settled for so little.

And as a signal to Evergreen, anything less clear and obvious than the court punching their President's face will be lost.

I'm hoping James Damore doesn't settle, but I can't fault people for settling. Lawsuits are nasty shit.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

gurugeorge wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

I think that's all true and valid up to a point, but with respect you're still slightly missing the nub of the Alt Right idea. For the "national identity based on service/participation/integration" to be forged, there has to be a majority White population grounding it, because with a majority non-White populace that kind of ideal won't be self-generated, whereas it is self-generated by Whites, who then form a sort of stable population that keeps the ideal refreshed through time, from whom the ideal naturally flows, who exemplify the ideal as something to be emulated. This is so regardless of the fact that there will be substantial numbers (in absolute terms) of non-Whites who are happy to go with the program, who see the sense in it - the problem is simply that if the demographics shift towards non-Whites, there just won't be (in terms of averages and the population as a whole) enough of them, and instead, the majority will establish their former home culture that they brought with them, and insensibly alter the overall tone.

To look at it from another point of view, Whites are a bit odd in the way they glue themselves together socially, they're the odd one out in terms of human beings generally. Whatever the reason may be from our ancestral environment. Some hypothesize it's a combination of archaic Northern European hunter-gatherer egalitarianism, overlaid by a meritocratic/heroic system inherited from Bronze Age Indo-European invaders, who themselves evolved from remnants of even more archaic pre-Ice age Northern European groups who had been pushed South by the Ice Age. At any rate, while most other human racial groups (most importantly for our purposes, Blacks, Semitic types and Asians) co-ordinate primarily by means of kinship or clannishness (hence the thing about difficulties ingraining liberal democracy in non-White cultures), Whites are odd in bonding primarily by means of abstract ideals, deviation from which is altruistically punished by others in the in-group. (This isn't to say there's no sense of clannishness at all among Whites, and no sense at all of being driven by ideals in other ethnic groups - Asians in particular also have a strong sense of being driven by ideals - it's just the overall weighting and overall tendencies in populations we're talking about.)

So "national identity based on service/participation/integration" really sings to the White soul, it sounds like just the ticket. It will also sing to the souls of some non-Whites - but probably not to enough of them for that ideal to be generated and sustained by a majority non-White population. You need the White population to be a reasonably solid majority (probably a bit more than the 60% it is now in the US) to keep the multi-ethnic orchestra focused and on-point, so to speak. Then what you're talking about can be done, then there is something to integrate into. (Note: while the Alt Right proper is more dead set against any immigration, the common or garden Right has no visceral objection to it in principle, provided "they're sending their best people" :) )

All this is made up of the thousand tiny encounters and gestures of the day. For example, in the UK, queuing used to be a thing. It's just obvious that it's the fairest way of sorting out who gets on the bus in what order, given random arrival and no-one's need being held to be more important than anyone else's, particularly (unless it is, e.g. someone with an infirmity, etc.). But now, in majority non-White London, queuing is rarer than it used to be - maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10, at a rough estimate, people just stand around in random positions, and when the bus comes everyone jostles at the bus door - politely enough, but with no order to it, so that the granny who arrived first may well find her nose pressed to the back of some strapping youth who arrived long after she did. I exaggerate and highlight, but this is the general flavour of a subtle change that's come with the shift in the composition of the population, in just this one relatively trivial everyday matter. (Then again, sometimes people do still queue, Whites and non-Whites alike - it depends on the socieconomic class and area often enough. But in days of yore, the British working class would queue too. I'm old enough to remember it, having been born in 1959. Rowdy schoolkids might not queue of course, but then the bus driver would likely call them to order. If you watch old black and white British movies, such as Ealing comedies, life in London really was as generally twee, civil and orderly as they depict, even as late as the late 60s. It's some time in the 70s when things really started to shift noticeably, when manners coarsened. Of course that's also partly the influence of Marcuse et al too, with the Frankfurt School touting of transgression and constant critique, and criminals being viewed as instinctively revolutionary dindus.)
I live in the lower mainland or Greater Vancouver district of BC, Canada. I work with Chinese. I am around Vietnamese, East Indians and a lot of other non-Whites. When I go to work I am a minority, in fact, I'm the only white guy in the shop, I can't even talk to most of the people I work with. And I really like the people I work with. Not one of these non-English speaking asians consider themselves a victim of teh great white oppressor. They are grateful to be here and grateful for a shot to make it. They use me as a guy to practice their English on, and I never tire of helping them with it. I corrected a Chinese girl today on eye-color, not eyeball color, my eyes are green (the iris), but my eyeball is not green. She understood the nuance. I am happy to have helped her out with her proficiency at the english language. That SJW's would cry that I was an oppressor of the asian minority by white-splaining the english language to a non-white person and therefor was oppressing them would be completely hilarious to the young women, as it is to me. When I see a unemployed unemployable muslim youth who sneers that he does not speak English because he will never learn the devil's language he will only ever speak the language of the prophet, I mean, WTF, who let this idiot into our country? You do not see this hatred of the West in other immigrants. Only Muslims. And the muslim community in the west is held in thrall to these Islamofascist thugs.

Anyway, if it ever comes, the SJW/Islamofascist coalition will never know what hit them. If your area falls, it's because your immigrants didn't include enough Sikh's in the mix.

I'll add this. My boss is Chinese. Who grew up in North Vietnam. He has flat out told me vietnamese do not see him as vietnamese and chinese do not see him as chinese. And both sides discriminate against him. Who does not discriiminate against him? Whites. Whites don't discrimate against him. I'm not saying that from being around him, that's what he flat out told me, whitey wants the best product for the dollar and whitey don't give a shit about where he was born or what his heritage is. That's not a problem for whitey, but it is a problem for asians. But only whitey can be the racist, for reasons of racist reasoning, My boss is fucking boat-person who back in 1985 was running around on beaches in the gulf islands at whatever time of the day the tides allowed for collection shell-fish to make a buck. He is now worth millions. SJW's hate guys like my boss because he is supposed to be an asian n***er. Who let the house asian out into the fields and then let him make millions once he got out into the fields. This goes against everything the SJW Marxist professors ever taught them. Therefore, in their anti-logic my boss is a fascist lickspittle pawn of the oppressor.

anyway, if you want to win the coming race-wars, get the races who are on your side, on your side. Pretty much all Asians and south asians. The other races and SJW's will be shocked

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

someguy wrote
Becky doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to sustain her interest on something for more than a day or so. (Where is Quizotron, that new pod-cast, and those other exciting projects she said she was going to branch out into?)
She got herself a puppy and a pet meal ticket. What else does the modern girl need? :dance:

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk[/youtube]
His only curse is to be named "Lars Andersen" in Denmark.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Now a cure for cancer.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I had another daft dream last night, in this one my brother revealed that he had secretly kept an old Morris Minor car that had once belonged to our grandfather. He said it was a time machine and that he had visited many hitorical events from the past, he said it had stopped working and that he could only get it fixed if he could figure out a way to get the time machine to the future. That's where I came in apparently but then the dream kind of fizzled out.

Anyway, this has got me thinking so this is a two fold question for you all.

First. What changes to the world would you expect to see if you went say 100yrs into the future? (Politically, Physically & innovatory)

Second. What era from the past would you most like to visit?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm right on board with the demographic concerns. It isn't such a problem if there's a barrier to entry - a citizenship test, a financial outlay, etc. You get smart people then, ideally smarter-than-the-original-people. But the easier it is to travel to different countries, the lower the barrier to entry becomes. So now you're getting low quality people who don't want to adapt or adopt Western values and practices.

So yeah, sucks.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

shoutinghorse wrote:I had another daft dream last night, in this one my brother revealed that he had secretly kept an old Morris Minor car that had once belonged to our grandfather. He said it was a time machine and that he had visited many hitorical events from the past, he said it had stopped working and that he could only get it fixed if he could figure out a way to get the time machine to the future. That's where I came in apparently but then the dream kind of fizzled out.

First. What changes to the world would you expect to see if you went say 100yrs into the future? (Politically, Physically & innovatory)

SJW'son rise. Or on the wane. History damned to repeat itself.

I would like to see robots as a part of the culture. Then perhaps we would all see robots as one race and people as another. It might bring a lot more people together so we could at least iron out "I am gay" "I am transgender" "I am fat" "I am intolerant" etc. Just to stop the micro divisions that we have these days. As a recreational thing, I'd like the ability to become an animal, through my fantastic home entertainment system that I would have.

I'd like to go back in time either to the Middle Ages and try and make people's lives a bit better (and be burned as a witch) or to the 1960's, the era of some of my favourite TV shows. I'd like to be on the set with David Hedison and David McCallum and people like that.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

ARGHH! That should read "SJWs on the rise. WTF happened there?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I kind of hoped that the threat of Islam would unite the left and right seeing a very obvious common enemy, I did not expect the left to jump on board the Islam train.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest_936d3dec wrote: 18 minutes of some pretty catchy music, also, ode to the yoni.
I concluded that the designer hates women. The models looked ridiculous. I gave up after six minutes.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

gurugeorge wrote:He's definitely the best of the Infowars bunch, the others vary from entertaining nonsense to just boring, but he talks a lot of sense most of the time, and expresses it with gusto.
I like him. But I have never learned anything of value from listening to any of his rants.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Sunder wrote:Jerry's got a post up on the upcoming Free Speech Week at Berkley. Several staff are trying to stage a boycott and asking students not to attend, as well as petitioning to cancel regular classes and not compel students to be on campus.

While this clearly smacks of a tantrum and is probably bad strategy, it isn't silencing the speakers nor punishing those who want to attend, so I can't say I'm strongly against it.
It may be a dodge to try and encourage the violent antifa/bamn crowd not to show up.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MacGruberKnows wrote: Building microprocessors out of discrete ttl chips (logic gates in a dip package) is a bit of a thing. Lot's of youtube videos about them. I even downloaded some of the designs into my EDA program Labcenter Proteus and simulated them on my computer in realtime, about 5MHz. Was pissed off to find that there are no boards anywhere that run a DOS computer. I have a FPGA board ($15 from China) that could easily handle an 8086 chip with memory and BIOS and glue logic to make such a system, but nobody has one. There is a ton of software out there for DOS, compilers and assemblers and the like. I can buy a fully pinned out board with a Cortex M3 Arm - one notch below the Smartphone Arms - from STMicroelectronics for $15 and the thing has all the peripheral devices you could hope for AD, DACs, TImers, PWM, PLL, CAN, SPI, I2C, USB etc plus tons of IO pins, with an in circuit debugger programmer built in, screaming away in full 32 bit at 72MHz for a Cortex M3 or 180MHz for a Cortex M4, but damn those clunky old 4.17MHz XT DOS machines were fun.
I've got an old XT and a 486 sitting in storage. Want them?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

shoutinghorse wrote:I had another daft dream last night, in this one my brother revealed that he had secretly kept an old Morris Minor car that had once belonged to our grandfather. He said it was a time machine and that he had visited many hitorical events from the past, he said it had stopped working and that he could only get it fixed if he could figure out a way to get the time machine to the future. That's where I came in apparently but then the dream kind of fizzled out.

Have you considered that the Morris Minor represents the penis?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Guest_936d3dec wrote: 18 minutes of some pretty catchy music, also, ode to the yoni.
I concluded that the designer hates women. The models looked ridiculous. I gave up after six minutes.
I spotted no women in that video.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Have you considered that the Morris Minor represents the penis?

In my case yes. :oops:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Marxist Martin's post on Mythicist Milwaukee's 'Anti-SJW' conference is getting pushback from MM. Also some juicy comments by you lot.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbre ... community/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Marxist Martin's post on Mythicist Milwaukee's 'Anti-SJW' conference is getting pushback from MM. Also some juicy comments by you lot.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbre ... community/
I find it very funny that Martin wrote "I am not Dan Arel" to defend himself from an accusation of de-platforming and censorship. Dan Arel is a buffoon even among people who agree with his ideas.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Guest_936d3dec wrote:[.tweet]https://twitter.com/cvanderakt/status/9 ... 9097945093[/tweet]

18 minutes of some pretty catchy music, also, ode to the yoni.
Yes but, did you fap?

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

I'd like to meet the silly fucker who decided to be the first one to ride an elephant. You just know there was a shitload of alcohol and a desire to impress a woman involved in that decision making process.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

There's an interesting segment on CBC's Sunday Edition this morning: Excommunicate Me from the Church of Social Justice, by self-described QTPOC (Queer Trans Person of Colour) Frances Lee, a Seattle-based activist. The gist is that she recognizes a strong resemblance between the evangelical background she escaped, and the social-justice movement she now inhabits. She speaks of an atmosphere of fear - the fear of appearing impure, of being perceived of as inadequately radical, of being shamed and shunned. Some confirmation from the inside, as if we needed it, that SJWism is a New Religious Movement.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayeditio ... -1.4291383

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I require synthetic thyroid hormone, so my time travel would be limited to eras where it is available. The 1950's. No HIV, or antibiotic resistant STI's. I'd never leave the YMCA. Seriously, I don't think I'd want to visit the past; too much wretchedness, disease, violence, and poverty.

What do I expect a hundred years from now? I believe one of two crackpot theories will prevail. The first is The Singularity. If that happens then I expect advanced tech, AI managing pretty much every aspect of people's lives, people somewhat different due to genetic manipulation, and much reduced war. I expect universal basic income. People being so coddled will be even softer and whinier than today.
The other crackpot theory is Peak Oil. If the singularity doesn't occur and we don't develop the kind of tech that makes fossil fuels unnecessary, then i foresee famines, wars over dwindling resources, a lack of democratic governments, small, protected rich communities and vast poverty-a very small middle class.