In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Shatterface

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Shatterface »

Postmodernism rejects the 'hermeneutics of depth'. All objects are therefore two dimensional surfaces. A hand might be several inches away from a breast in three dimensional space but if we collapse that third dimension then a hand between the observer and a breast is touching that breast. It's basic postmodern geometry.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Seacrest out.

Cable channel E! is conducting an internal investigation into an allegation of misconduct against Ryan Seacrest.

The allegation stems from an alleged incident reported by a former stylist who worked at E! News when Seacrest worked there. The incident, the details of which are unknown, is alleged to have occurred roughly a decade ago.

Recently, someone that worked as a wardrobe stylist for me nearly a decade ago at E! News, came forward with a complaint suggesting I behaved inappropriately toward her,” Seacrest said in a statement Friday. “If I made her feel anything but respected, I am truly sorry. I dispute these reckless allegations and I plan to cooperate with any corporate inquiries that may result. I treat all my colleagues with kindness, dignity, and understanding, as this is a principle that’s core to who I am. Throughout my 25 years in the entertainment industry, the majority of my co-workers have been women, and I’ve endeavored to foster a positive work environment of mutual respect and courtesy, as that’s how I believe it should be. I’m distraught that anyone or any situation would call that into question. I’m proud of my workplace reputation, and believe my track record will speak for itself. I’m an advocate for women. I will continue to support their voices.”
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/ryan-se ... 202618069/

Keating

Post by Keating »

I got involved with an acting group, trying to improve myself by practicing extroversion. There is a festival this weekend, with some theatre sports. It's weird being the most conservative person in such a large group (and I don't even consider myself conservative). I've had to bite my tongue a lot, as it isn't worth starting a fight over. I think I've managed to move at least one persons moral indignation to a better location. (It isn't racist to state aggregate facts, it is racist to assume an individual has certain properties based on no information other than skin colour). One more day.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

VickyCaramel wrote:
I'm certainly not going to deny there are sex differences, but this door can swing both ways.

I have a brother who is in education and used to be a secondary school teacher. As a handsome young chap, he lived in constant fear of false accusations of sexual impropriety from the dozens of 14-16 year old girls throwing themselves at him. He logged every incident from girls jumping on his lap and trying to kiss him, to 'proving' to him that they weren't wearing underwear, to writing him explicit love letters.

I don't remember things being quite this way when i was at school, maybe because we didn't have any hot male teachers, but I can certainly tell you stories of 14 year old girls throwing themselves at men more than twice their age.

You could make the argument that young boys are more interested in sex and girls interested in romantic love... I think you could also make the argument that girls mature more quickly and are more manipulative. However, I believe we should all have equality under the law.
Reading My Secret Garden and Forbidden Flowers by Nancy Friday has been an eye opener for this male. Women have written in about their fantasies, and of their desires and experiences as young girls, and many are quite explicit and illegal. They were written in the 70s, so the language and naivety was interesting. It seems that as adults we forget our sexual awakenings as children. Yes, some people will take advantage of that, while others will be part of it, and the female will not see themselves as a victim. Quite interesting.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Meanwhile, in Sweden...

"Incest and necrophilia 'should be legal' according to youth branch of Swedish Liberal People's Party"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 91476.html

Necrophilia has always been a minefield for consent issues & I think we're due for a public conversation about this. Also, if anyone's into me & up for it after I kick the bucket, make me a reasonable offer (PayPal preferred).

some guy

Post by some guy »

Kirbmarc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
some guy wrote:A pretty fair assessment from the responsible right:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... nce-virtue
But particularly damning is that he was photographed squeezing her breasts while she slept on a plane. The picture tells a story that Franken can’t deny.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... nce-virtue
Is that the same photo where he isn't actually touching her? Apparently not even the responsible right can get their facts straight.
Nobody can. We live in the Po-Mo post-truth world, where interpretations matter more than facts, especially if they support a narrative. Understanding things beyond a surface level is even harder. Franken has been photographed with his hands near the woman's breasts, she says he touched her, so the photo is evidence that he squeezed her breasts, even if he's not actually touching them in the photo. People see what they want to see, and simple stories are easier to understand that what's not so simple.
Well, that it's an arguably important factual issue about what Franken did (although disproving that wouldn't really exonerate him), but in any event it is not essential to the point of the article. What I thought was "pretty fair" about it was it's analysis of the tribal-like behavior on both the left and right with these sorts of stories; in particular bringing up the contrast in the regressive right's response to the recent Judge Moore allegations vs those against Franken (and also their response to Pres Clinton's problems vs their response to the Trump stories from last fall).

KenD

Post by KenD »

Easy J wrote:Meanwhile, in Sweden...

"Incest and necrophilia 'should be legal' according to youth branch of Swedish Liberal People's Party"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 91476.html

Necrophilia has always been a minefield for consent issues & I think we're due for a public conversation about this. Also, if anyone's into me & up for it after I kick the bucket, make me a reasonable offer (PayPal preferred).
Slightly surprising considering the adult branch's support for Sweden's rather illiberal prostitution laws - they even campaign for tougher sentencing of people who pay for sex.

I'm not sure if the youth branch hold the same views. Maybe it's OK if the prostitutes are dead?

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Kevin Spacey still has his blue Twitter tick, unlike Tommy Robinson.

Who knew that Spacey was one of the good guys - the kind that Twitter approves of?

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

I can't double post.

I feel so inadequate.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

some guy wrote:

Well, that it's an arguably important factual issue about what Franken did (although disproving that wouldn't really exonerate him), but in any event it is not essential to the point of the articl
There is a legal difference between squeezing her breasts and not touching her. That's more than "arguably different". If you can't prove he touched her or have any testimony to that, or if you could disprove that he touched her that would exonerate him of sexual assault. He still did something distasteful but not something criminal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault
The kissing thing is a different matter, but accusing him of fondling her chest and claiming it as proven is basically falsely accusing him of a crime in that instance.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote:
some guy wrote:A pretty fair assessment from the responsible right:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... nce-virtue
But particularly damning is that he was photographed squeezing her breasts while she slept on a plane. The picture tells a story that Franken can’t deny.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... nce-virtue
Is that the same photo where he isn't actually touching her? Apparently not even the responsible right can get their facts straight.
Nobody can. We live in the Po-Mo post-truth world, where interpretations matter more than facts, especially if they support a narrative. Understanding things beyond a surface level is even harder. Franken has been photographed with his hands near the woman's breasts, she says he touched her, so the photo is evidence that he squeezed her breasts, even if he's not actually touching them in the photo. People see what they want to see, and simple stories are easier to understand that what's not so simple.
Don't trust your lying eyes. He's clearly groping a bare-breasted woman with heiling Hitler at a Klan rally.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I meant to say "while" but "with" is no less improbable.

some guy

Post by some guy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:some guy wrote:

Well, that it's an arguably important factual issue about what Franken did (although disproving that wouldn't really exonerate him), but in any event it is not essential to the point of the articl
There is a legal difference between squeezing her breasts and not touching her. ...
I agree, but IT IS NOT REALLY RELEVANT TO THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE!

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote:
rayshul wrote:
I'd have fucked the shit out of my Year 10 Legal Studies teacher.

I'm sure you can find videos of that sort of thing on the net - if your tastes run in that direction.

Usually they do a couple of enemas the night before though.
Don't we all...

free thoughtpolice

So the point of the article was the Dems should immediately fire Franken because he kissed a woman without asking consent and what the hell lets throw in something he didn't do which isn't relevant to the point of the article.
My takeaway on what the point of the article was is that in order for the Dems to not be hypocrites they need to toss Franken. What point did you think they were trying to make?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jet_lagg wrote:People don't appreciate just how fucking horny you are as a teenage boy.
I hope (I really do) that most of you have at some time in your life have had experience of the kind of situation where, given reciprocated limerence, the rate limiting factor becomes a race between frictional damage to the genitals of both parties, the ability of the seminal vesicles to refill (damn women and their multi-orgasmic abilities!), and opportunity. I shall always find Camden Town, Tufnell Park and Crouch End rather arousing as a result, despite the decades intervening.

some guy

Post by some guy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:So the point of the article was the Dems should immediately fire Franken because he kissed a woman without asking consent and what the hell lets throw in something he didn't do which isn't relevant to the point of the article.
My takeaway on what the point of the article was is that in order for the Dems to not be hypocrites they need to toss Franken. What point did you think they were trying to make?
It was much more than that. That if the Dems wanted to be consistent with their stated principles (giving the accusers a fair hearing, taking their allegation seriously; not smearing the accusers or rationalizing away the behavior of those they have accused, etc), then they should censured Franken (or at least state that if the accusations are true, then he should step down). As they should have done to Bill Clinton; but didn't do, although many defenders now have now express regret for not doing so recently. So here is an opportunity to "do the right thing" according to their principles, as recently emphasized by their new found regret for defending Clinton (which was expressed before the Franken allegation came to light when it was just Weinstein and Moore etc that were in the public eye).

But the author goes on to point out that this hypocritical behavior of many on the left is also shared by many on the right: attacking Franken (and Clinton) but not Moore and Trump; rationalizing the behavior of "us", smearing "them". Behavior that is motivated more by whether the outcome benefits them in a way unrelated to the truth or falsity of the accusations.

So it's not a one-side attack from the right; it is as much a commentary on the behavior of elements on both sides as it is specifically about what Franken did or did not do. (And in a way, your response seems to illustrate the author's point.)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:On another note, I don't know how Lindy West's legs work. It looks like they've gone down and the sideways but it doesn't look like she's bending her knees. WTF is going on there?
It's what you get when you combine knock knees with thunder thighs.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:On another note, I don't know how Lindy West's legs work. It looks like they've gone down and the sideways but it doesn't look like she's bending her knees. WTF is going on there?
It's what you get when you combine knock knees with thunder thighs.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

screwtape wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:People don't appreciate just how fucking horny you are as a teenage boy.
I hope (I really do) that most of you have at some time in your life have had experience of the kind of situation where, given reciprocated limerence, the rate limiting factor becomes a race between frictional damage to the genitals of both parties, the ability of the seminal vesicles to refill (damn women and their multi-orgasmic abilities!), and opportunity. I shall always find Camden Town, Tufnell Park and Crouch End rather arousing as a result, despite the decades intervening.
Yeah. Narrow window for that stuff. Maybe 3 or 4 years. I was kinda out of touch with what was normal & though I was gifted or oversexed, based mostly on standup comedy references to poor performing adult men. Caused a lot of anxiety, too. I'd wear long, baggy t-shirts to school to hide random, unwanted pop-ups as I walked the halls & carried my books braced in front of me at hip height. I'd be zoning out in math class with some Zvan-esque teacher boring me to death &...bam! I'd be racking my brains, wondering what the hell could possibly be tripping the switch. It was actually a big issue to me at the time & there was no one but a few girlfriends I could go to with it. Mixed blessing then, but I'd give anything to have that back.

free thoughtpolice

So it's not a one-side attack from the right; it is as much a commentary on the behavior of elements on both sides as it is specifically about what Franken did or did not do. (And in a way, your response seems to illustrate the author's point.)
My response of calling out the author for making a false accusation illustrates the author's point how? You say giving the accusers a fair hearing?
Like the 15 accusers of Trump he said he would sue? Franken didn't attack her and she has even said she doesn't think he should resign over it.
He has asked for an ethics hearing.
That article makes a serious allegation that the "victim" didn't make and there is no evidence. That is slander bucko. It also if claimed to be true would elevate Franken's "crimes" to a more serious degree. Hardly not relevant to the point of the article. :snooty:

Guest_9f275cf4

Post by Guest_9f275cf4 »

It's very convenient for him to say Franken should resign and very convenient for Democrats to say Franken should resign when actually all Franken may have done is in a he-said-she-said kissed a woman, and as he said he's open to investigation on this, but otherwise says he doesn't recall it happening as she recalls it.

So the Democrats are doing this for cynical reasons, to show that they are tough on crime, and for cynical reasons, to get rid of a Democrat, he's agreeing with the Democrats.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Danielle Muscato, sack of stupid. Just another indication he's more attention-seeker than "activist."

https://imgur.com/TyNFTAS.png

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Ape+lust wrote:Danielle Muscato, sack of stupid. Just another indication he's more attention-seeker than "activist."

would love to see the local police tweet back... Sending a car by so you can answer questions in our own little interview...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'll retweet the fuck out of Muscato if he'll just take his lithium.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Uh-oh.

https://imgur.com/8pGSAWS.png

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/morris ... 201898925/

This pinhead named his son after Morrissey. Where will he go now that his home is unsafe?

https://imgur.com/v3zCOwP.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ape+lust wrote:Uh-oh.

https://imgur.com/8pGSAWS.png

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/morris ... 201898925/

This pinhead named his son after Morrissey. Where will he go now that his home is unsafe?

https://imgur.com/v3zCOwP.jpg
I have full confidence Arel will denounce his son as a Nazi child rapist and will help the child understand she is transgender.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Did someone slip stupid juice into the water supply?

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/361070 ... al-history

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Did someone slip stupid juice into the water supply?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Really? wrote:I have full confidence Arel will denounce his son as a Nazi child rapist and will help the child understand she is transgender.
There's a step missing, since Dan is a snarling advocate of punching Nazis. His kid looks to be about 8 years old, Dan shouldn't have any problem blasting him (his first Nazi!) into orbit.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Did someone slip stupid juice into the water supply?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote:
Please do not make light of these serious medical conditions.

I've been suffering from Crouch End for some time, and have also had recurring instances of Pratt's Bottom.

Really?

Post by Really? »

His mistake was welcoming fellow Ohioan and polyamorist Richard Carrier onto his PR team. If not for the backlash, the candidate would have revealed his semen fetish.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ape+lust wrote:Danielle Muscato, sack of stupid. Just another indication he's more attention-seeker than "activist."

I keep forgetting Danielle is actually wayyy younger than she looks (33) and I guess that's something people with shitty lives at that age would wanna do. I just.... why would you like.... put it online.... what are you doing there.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I wouldn't vote for anyone who had banged less than 50 women. If you can't talk women into bed how can you run a government? Fuck the puritans. Before I send anyone in to negotiate with Vladimir Putin I want to know they are prepared to teabag him and post it to YouTube if they don't get what they want.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

rayshul wrote:

I keep forgetting Danielle is actually wayyy younger than she looks (33) and I guess that's something people with shitty lives at that age would wanna do. I just.... why would you like.... put it online.... what are you doing there.
Watching someone on LSD is funny. Listening to them isn't. I don't want to see Muscato's talking head on YoyTube. I want to see him try leaping from roof using an umbrella as a parachute.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Danielle's pinned tweet from yesterday I wonder if Danielle actually believes this is why people may dislike her.
Sure, people who already dislike trans people would use that, but I think a high percentage of them hate atheists as well, so not a big issue.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Surely she sees that there is no way this can go well for her

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote:Watching someone on LSD is funny. Listening to them isn't. I don't want to see Muscato's talking head on YoyTube. I want to see him try leaping from roof using an umbrella as a parachute.
What would really be funny is if, instead of "tripping", he explored his gender dysphoria and talked his way out of it.

The shrieking would be epic. Zinnia Jones would have 20 researched position papers on the dangers of hallucinogens before morning. Plus, online petitions beseeching Jeff Sessions to step up the War on Drugs.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

I guess that is one way to look at it

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Such a click bait tweet.
If you wanna do something, you just do it. You don't wait for people to retweet your tweet to their followers (in hopes you get new followers)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I think that Franken was just the beginning and it's going to get worse. Expect an intense scrutiny of the sexual lives of every important candidate, and a lot of people coming out of the woodwork with juicy stories for the media. Now that the Reps have figured out how to use SocJus campaigns against the Dems anything will be added to the great cauldron of accusations of "ungood sex": kisses, lewd comments, jokes, bragging about having had lots of sex, eventually even "stare rape" ("he looked at me and I felt threatened") and unwanted compliments ("I like your hair" "I like your skirt").

Also in the SocJus system all sexcrimes are equal in requiring resignation: an unwanted kiss of an adult woman is Just As Bad as statutory rape, soon a joke or an intense stare will be Just As Bad as sexual harassment, etc. etc.

The "rape culture" model of the slippery slope starting from jokes and unwanted stares right down to rape and murder is now accepted as completely mainstream, and after the Weinstein scandal pretty much nobody dares to question it, and many are trying to exploit it,

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

HoneyWagon wrote:Danielle's pinned tweet from yesterday
https://twitter.com/DanielleMuscato/sta ... 2815948800

I wonder if Danielle actually believes this is why people may dislike her.
Sure, people who already dislike trans people would use that, but I think a high percentage of them hate atheists as well, so not a big issue.
I don't buy it. There was a time I thought better of Muscato, but he's since shown he's just another showboating grifter. Being the victim of unreasonable hate is too useful to forgo.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

My guess is that attention will eventually turn onto JFK and feminists will go back in time and terminate him from the grassy knoll.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

HoneyWagon wrote:

Such a click bait tweet.
If you wanna do something, you just do it. You don't wait for people to retweet your tweet to their followers (in hopes you get new followers)
But of course it's click bait. All online "activism" on all sides is pure click bait. It's the dominant business model, the most efficient way to get followers, re-tweets, attention and money from e-begging. Why would anyone act any differently, if their goal is to try and support themselves?

Attention is the most valued currency on the Internet. If you get enough attention you can support yourself by doing nothing but posting videos, tweets, posts and streams. Everybody who "counts" is a view whore and act accordingly.

Online newspapers do the same thing with their click-bait titles. And it's not just the small ones, it's the big hitters, too. The Internet has created a system where what counts the most is to get attention from as much people as possible, little else matters.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:My guess is that attention will eventually turn onto JFK and feminists will go back in time and terminate him from the grassy knoll.
I fully expect that someone will write click-bait, poorly researched, highly ideological articles on the sexism and rape-y attitude of JFK. But maybe not many, since people's attention spans are short and Kennedy is old news.

The social media masses need juicy, juicy scandals on people who are alive and famous, that's where the drama lies. Outrage frenzies on dead figures don't last as long, even if they're iconic ones like JFK.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote:My guess is that attention will eventually turn onto JFK and feminists will go back in time and terminate him from the grassy knoll.
:lol:

I did see a youngster denying her yet-to-be-born vote to scumlord JFK yesterday.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Although now that I think about it some people could use the outrage about JFK or MLK's sexism to call for the removal of their names from streets and of their statues. That'd be good click-bait-y drama. Imagine feminists protesting before the JFK airport, calling for it to be renamed, because "rapists shouldn't be honored" and "we need to fight rape culture", etc.

I'd be a goldmine for both left and right wing click bait machines, an opportunity that the feminists would never miss, and great for drama. I'm surprised anyone hasn't thought of it yet.

free thoughtpolice

There you go Ape, or fuzzy, or... put PZ, or Becky, or... on the grassy knol

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

There you go Ape, or fuzzy, or... put PZ, or Becky, or... on the grassy knol
Haha, right. Drunk Rebecca on the grassy knoll...

"Feminist takes aim at Patriarchy, Jackie and 8 bystanders killed."

free thoughtpolice

Killing Jackie, I don't know' isn't that bad?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

"income inequality". Also known as: unlike you, I work for a living.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Maybe Danielle should ply her services to drunken sailors like a proper lady.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

When the fuck is Trans Week supposed to be anyway? It seems to have been going on at least five fucking years.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt seems to have lost his double post privileges.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:Maybe Danielle should ply her services to drunken sailors like a proper lady.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 20704a.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:When the fuck is Trans Week supposed to be anyway? It seems to have been going on at least five fucking years.
It started off as a week - but is now in the process of becoming a completely different period of time.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

All the kerfuffle about Franken admitting/not admitting what he was accused of and the picture showing/not showing evidence reminded me of the Carrier situation here, when some people thought that Carrier admitted to the Amy Skiba accusations when he actually had admitted to a different sort of wrongdoing, and when people speculated about "hush money" to Skiba.

I guess that the 'Pit isn't less prone to simplifying complex things and trying to set up narratives than the media.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

We should set aside one week a year when we talk about nothing but trans issues and then they shut the fuck up about it for a year. Just like women and black people do.