In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
jet_lagg

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by jet_lagg »

FGTOW?

How would you pronounce that I wonder...

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ ... s-sologamy

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Not a parody. Just another justice Whitey who thinks Blacks are enchanting critters from another planet. Probably learned most life lessons from "self-actualization" business seminars.

https://twitter.com/MJB_SF

https://imgur.com/wbnGYlb.png

https://imgur.com/q7MMhLL.png

https://imgur.com/ELMIkBF.png
From the twitter pic, I'm guessing trans?
Not sure about trans, but she's a real SJW doozy:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/08/tech- ... id-people/

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

In 1993, Linda Baker, a dental hygienist in Los Angeles, decided she was sick and tired of "waiting for the chain of events that lead up to feasting on [a] wedding cake." Taking matters into her own hands, she invited seventy-five of her closest friends to watch her walk down a makeshift aisle that ran alongside a bar in Santa Monica. Then, by the power vested in her actor friend Ron Cummins, she took herself to be "her own lovely wedded person."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Would you hire as a social media marketing consultant someone who royally shat her own bed on twitter?

https://www.redstate.com/mickeywhite2/2 ... tter-rant/

Really?

Post by Really? »

Prepare for all of the Trump haters in your social media feeds to have massive orgasms.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jet_lagg wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am
In 1993, Linda Baker, a dental hygienist in Los Angeles, decided she was sick and tired of "waiting for the chain of events that lead up to feasting on [a] wedding cake." Taking matters into her own hands, she invited seventy-five of her closest friends to watch her walk down a makeshift aisle that ran alongside a bar in Santa Monica. Then, by the power vested in her actor friend Ron Cummins, she took herself to be "her own lovely wedded person."
The divorce could be messy. Hope she has a pre-nup.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Shatterface wrote: Happy to report my new office has bullet proof windows.

And troll safe doors?

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

VickyCaramel in post #18128 -
"It isn't like they assumed H-Bombs were magic. Although when the bombs fall cities disappear very quickly, but
they must have been aware that the manufacture of these bombs would be slow and very costly. They would probably
also be aware that the psychological effect works both ways. If the allies had continued to wipe out city after
civilian city this would as genocidal. Considering that Japan had never bombed Western cities, I have to wonder how
many more bombs the Americans could have dropped before an outcry at home. I don't want to explore alternative
versions of history, but these must have been things the Japanese considered."

I guess Darwin (see Wikipedia/cesspool of lies Bombing of Darwin) didn't count as a city then, but it was Oz's
capital of the Northern Territory. Some people down here still remember that episode. If the Japanese Navy had been able to
get in range of Perth I don't think they would have held off.

The influence of the two atomic bombings on the Japanese surrender seemed important to TOSHIKAZU KASE, a member of
the Japanese Foreign Office who was involved with the government surrender/fight to the last toenail debates.
His book "Journey to the Missouri" is an interesting account of the war from (one) Japanese viewpoint.

From that book, the translated text of Emperor Hirohito's recorded speech to the nation:
[Start of Kase text extract]
Page 255/256 JOURNEY TO THE MISSOURI
them anticipated a declaration
of war upon the Soviet Union. Very many people sobbed
aloud and wept bitterly. The Emperor's tremulous voice came
over the air:

To our good and loyal subjects:
After pondering deeply the general trends of the world and the
actual conditions obtaining in our empire today, we have decided to
effect a settlement of the present situation by resorting to an extraordinary
measure.
We have ordered our Government to communicate to the Governments
of the United States, Great Britain, China and the Soviet Union
that our empire accepts the provisions of their joint declaration.
To strive for the common prosperity and happiness of all nations
as well as the security and well-being of our subjects is the solemn
obligation which has been handed down by Our Imperial Ancestors
and we lay it close to the heart.
Indeed, we declared war on America and Britain out of our sincere
desire to ensure Japan's self-preservation and the stabilization of East
Asia, it being far from our thought either to infringe upon the sovereignty
of other nations or to embark upon territorial aggrandizement.
But now the war has lasted for nearly four years. Despite the best
that has been done by everyone the gallant fighting of the military
and naval forces, the diligence and assiduity of our servants of the
State and the devoted service of our one hundred million people the
war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, while
the general trends of the world have all turned against her interest.
[*** This bit ***]
Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel
bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking
the toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, it would
not only result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese
nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.
[----------------]
Such being the case, how are we to save the millions of our
subjects, or to atone ourselves before the hallowed spirits of our imperial
ancestors? This is the reason why we have ordered the acceptance
of the provisions of the joint declaration of the powers.
We cannot but express the deepest sense of regret to our allied
nations of East Asia, who have consistently cooperated with the
Empire towards the emancipation of East Asia.
The thought of those officers and men as well as others who have
fallen in the fields of battle, those who died at their
posts of duty, and

those who met with death and all their bereaved families, pains our
heart night and day.
The welfare of the wounded and the war sufferers, and of those
who have lost their home and livelihood is the object of our profound
solicitude. The hardships and sufferings to which our nation is to be
subjected hereafter will be certainly great. We are keenly aware of the
inmost feelings of all you, our subjects.
However, it is according to the dictates of the time and fate that we
have resolved to pave the way for a grand peace for all the generations
to come by enduring the unendurable and suffering what is unsufferable.
Having been able to save and maintain the structure of the
Imperial State, we are always with you, our good and loyal subjects,
relying upon your sincerity and integrity.
Beware most strictly of any outbursts of emotion that may engender
needless complications, and of any fraternal contention and strife that
may create confusion, lead you astray and cause you to lose the confidence
of the world.
Let the entire nation continue as one family from generation to
generation, ever firm in its faith in the imperishableness of its divine
land, and mindful of its heavy burden of responsibilities, and the
long road before it. Unite your total strength to be devoted to the
construction for the future. Cultivate the ways of rectitude, nobility of
spirit, and work with resolution so that you may enhance the innate
glory of the Imperial State and keep pace with the progress of the
world.

It may be of some interest to the reader that the phrase "the
war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage"
was adopted because of the insistence of the war minister. He
opposed the original draft which had read "the war situation went
daily from bad to worse." In fact the cabinet spent much time in
arguing this point. So extreme was the susceptibility of our "un~
vanquishable" Army, in defeat."
[End of Kase text extract]

At the least, looks like the two bombings were used as a reason to stop.
The translated recorded speech can also be found at Wikipedia (Jewel Voice Broadcast).

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The transgender genetics expert has finally produced xir evidence that there are 2^1600 genders:

The landscape of sex-differential transcriptome and its consequent selection in human adults
Moran Gershoni and Shmuel Pietrokovski
https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/artic ... 017-0352-z

It's fascinating research, and has exactly fuck all to do with the 'gender spectrum'.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 3641433186
First sentence of the abstract:
The prevalence of several human morbid phenotypes is sometimes much higher than intuitively expected. This can directly arise from the presence of two sexes, male and female, in one species. Men and women have almost identical genomes but are distinctly dimorphic, with dissimilar disease susceptibilities. Sexually dimorphic traits mainly result from differential expression of genes present in both sexes. Such genes can be subject to different, and even opposing, selection constraints in the two sexes. This can impact human evolution by differential selection on mutations with dissimilar effects on the two sexes.
Doesn't that negate the transgender genetics expert's argument right there?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The transgender genetics expert has finally produced xir evidence that there are 2^1600 genders:

The landscape of sex-differential transcriptome and its consequent selection in human adults
Uhm...
Abstract

The prevalence of several human morbid phenotypes is sometimes much higher than intuitively expected. This can directly arise from the presence of two sexes, male and female, in one species. Men and women have almost identical genomes but are distinctly dimorphic, with dissimilar disease susceptibilities. Sexually dimorphic traits mainly result from differential expression of genes present in both sexes. Such genes can be subject to different, and even opposing, selection constraints in the two sexes. This can impact human evolution by differential selection on mutations with dissimilar effects on the two sexes.
:nin: Dammit!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

What's a 'morbid phenotype' anyway - a goth?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

katamari Damassi wrote:

It's fascinating research, and has exactly fuck all to do with the 'gender spectrum'.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 3641433186
First sentence of the abstract:
Doesn't that negate the transgender genetics expert's argument right there?
I've seen this before. A Pharyngulite cited a Nature trans-friendly article as "scientific evidence that there is no gender binary" when the article actually argued that even singular cells with XX or XY chromosomes reacted differently to stress, so sexual dimorphism was down to cellular level.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Really? wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 am
Prepare for all of the Trump haters in your social media feeds to have massive orgasms.

I've been skipping this tedious shite on twitter for the past 6 months or so but this actually sounds pretty meaty. So Flyn's done a deal for his country for a lessor sentence and will testify against others?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Science question I've been pondering since reading Andy Weir's Artemis.

Can you smoke cigars on a moonbase?

The atmosphere is pure oxygen in the base so at first I thought it would be like setting off a flare in your mouth but the atmospheric pressure is 20% of that of Earth so am I right in thinking that a cubic meter of this atmosphere would contain the same amount of oxygen as on Earth (ie. the molar volume of the oxygen is the same) so the cigar would burn at the same rate?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Really? wrote:

I've been skipping this tedious shite on twitter for the past 6 months or so but this actually sounds pretty meaty. So Flyn's done a deal for his country for a lessor sentence and will testify against others?
Is "Contacting the Russians" illegal? Don't they have to actually prove some kind of collusion to do something other than chatting about Syria? I suspect this will be a nothingburger.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 am
JayTeeAitch wrote:
Really? wrote:

Is "Contacting the Russians" illegal? Don't they have to actually prove some kind of collusion to do something other than chatting about Syria? I suspect this will be a nothingburger.
Probably, but I'll tentatively get out the :popcorn:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 am
Why has my Kekistani flag disappeared? This is a clear case of victimisation of the oppressed people of Kekistan and a sign of the sheer inherent racism that is sadly still prevalent in pit society. Check your pit privilege people. .. I on behalf of all Kekistani pitters demand a return of the Kekistani flag. :snooty:

#Keklivesmatter.
Quit yer braying, ya fool mule!! I put it back. Everyone else will need to do it for themselves, though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Spike13 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 am
The bombs they dropped on Japan were A-bombs, the H-bomb wouldn’t be developed until 1952 ( if memory serves)
The other problem was that we didn’t have many of them. They used two different types of a- bomb, an implosion device and a rifle device, the reason for this was that they didn’t/couldn’t produce enough plutonium.
Actually, that's not the case - the production of 239Pu was easier than of 235U. They produced both types because they wanted to hedge their bets. There was only on U bomb created because it was pretty certain that it would work. The Pu bomb was a much more difficult engineering task, hence the test at Journada del Muerte.

Richard Rhodes' book The Making of the Atomic Bomb is fantastic. Also fun it plying Trinity, the text adventure from Infocom.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Shatterface wrote: Science question I've been pondering since reading Andy Weir's Artemis.

The atmosphere is pure oxygen in the base so at first I thought it would be like setting off a flare in your mouth but the atmospheric pressure is 20% of that of Earth so am I right in thinking that a cubic meter of this atmosphere would contain the same amount of oxygen as on Earth (ie. the molar volume of the oxygen is the same) so the cigar would burn at the same rate?
Can it be pure oxygen, surely you would have to maintain some kind of humidity otherwise everything would dry out (including you)?
I know that in low pressure, water boils at lower temperatures, but what effects does low pressure have on evaporation in regards to things like solvents in plastics, plasticizers in synthetic rubbers etc?

I can see why running at low pressures would be an advantage, but expect that 20% of atmospheric pressure would cause as many problems as it solves.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am

I've seen this before. A Pharyngulite cited a Nature trans-friendly article as "scientific evidence that there is no gender binary" when the article actually argued that even singular cells with XX or XY chromosomes reacted differently to stress, so sexual dimorphism was down to cellular level.
This isn't the first Hordeling I've seen to refer to the 1600-genes study as 'proving' the gender spectrum. It must be a talking point floating about SJWLand. I'm sure some crackpot transblog (is that redundant?) came up with the idea.

It's hard to tell what they're trying to argue, as no one referring to the study has obviously read & understood it (or actually understands genetics, for that matter). As best I can tell, they think that these 1600 gene expressions are like so many DIP switches that get randomly toggled on or off. So an individual could be 1600-male, 1599-male, 1598-male, etc., all across the spectrum to 1600-female. Except the permutations are more than that, they're immense, as the sequence could go M,M,F,M,M,F,M.... and so on. Only that's not how these genes work at all.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Shatterface wrote: What's a 'morbid phenotype' anyway - a goth?
I'm assuming phenotype where the relationship between the genetic disease and associated gene is known (so maybe a goth?). The paper is about how dimorphism in a sexually reproducing species leads to the state of genetic disorders that we observe, which as noted has fuck all to do with a gender spectrum. Still interesting.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Science question I've been pondering since reading Andy Weir's Artemis.

Can it be pure oxygen, surely you would have to maintain some kind of humidity otherwise everything would dry out (including you)?
I know that in low pressure, water boils at lower temperatures, but what effects does low pressure have on evaporation in regards to things like solvents in plastics, plasticizers in synthetic rubbers etc?

I can see why running at low pressures would be an advantage, but expect that 20% of atmospheric pressure would cause as many problems as it solves.
VickyCaramel wrote:

I'm guessing that there's no point transporting useless gases the the Moon, that 20% pressure puts less strain on the hull, and that you can just put on an EVA suit at 20% pressure and walk around on the surface without having to depressurise. A spacesuit at Earth atmospheric pressure is inflexible.

Weir doesn't mention dehydration but says you can't make a decent coffees because of the low pressure (lower boiling point). This is why Brits will never colonised the Moon. Tepid coffee is one thing but weak tea is another. Our very moral fibre depends on the strength of our tea.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

VickyCaramel wrote:

I'm guessing that there's no point transporting useless gases the the Moon, that 20% pressure puts less strain on the hull, and that you can just put on an EVA suit at 20% pressure and walk around on the surface without having to depressurise. A spacesuit at Earth atmospheric pressure is inflexible.

Weir doesn't mention dehydration but says you can't make a decent coffees because of the low pressure (lower boiling point). This is why Brits will never colonised the Moon. Tepid coffee is one thing but weak tea is another. Our very moral fibre depends on the strength of our tea.
Hmm. Pure oxygen is a bad idea. Very bad. Look up Apollo 1.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Apollo 1 was at high pressure though.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Lsuoma wrote: Hmm. Pure oxygen is a bad idea. Very bad. Look up Apollo 1.
I would think so, but I am not sure it would be any more explosive than air at 20% pressure.

However, thinking about combustion, which is a chain reaction involving heat, surely less heat is going to escape through convection and radiation with low atmosphere, meaning your cigar is going to get REALLY hot, and so.... with no nitrogen you can't create nitrogen oxides, and with no more oxygen than normal, a greater risk of creating carbon monoxides.

I wouldn't want to risk it. I can't wait to here the view of somebody who actually knows about chemistry!

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 pm
Slipterid wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm
Snip
I might have missed someone mentioning it, as I am not fully caught up with the Internet yet. I have had a crazy year with special people and pets dying around me. The cull so far is one husband, one mother, and 5 cats -- and there is still December to go. I wish I could hibernate.
Snip
Jeezus, that is some bad year. I was feeling sorry for myself because I had a cat run away. Condolences can't even begin to cover it...so sorry.
Thanks, I'm a bit shell-shocked but surviving. My husband's death was slow enough to allow for some preparation on practical issues, my mother's was a sudden shock. Two of the cats were no surprise, geriatrics of 20 and 21, but of course they were "family". Three of the cats were unexpected -- 2 fast-acting cancers and one heart failure -- but at least I had closure with them, I knew what was happening and I could say goodbye. Honestly, I feel for you with a runaway cat, that really sucks. I hope you find the wee one.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Steersman wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 am
Slipterid wrote:
Yes, "rank insanity" covers it neatly. If we have 56 trillion sets of pronouns, it completely negates the whole point of having pronouns at all and definitely turns the English language into "incoherent twaddle" (thanks for that one, I treasure it). The whole point of language is to communicate clearly; SJWs use it to obfuscate as much as possible, Like a cat trying to cover poop.
:-) But yea - kind of think it's akin to or based on people being more focused on just the sounds of the words rather than on whether they make sense or hang together in any rational way:
Wikipedia_HumptyDumptyAliceWords_Sctn.jpg
:-D One can't help but wonder if Lewis Carroll had a problem with SJWs even in his day.
Steersman wrote:
Slipterid wrote: I agree about the new features, we need the spinning dancer and I would definitely use "No thanks, we're British", oh yeah.
You've got a friend for life with that supporting comment. :-) Though while "the spinning dancer" is a bit of a Pit jest - as you probably know, I'm quite serious about replacing "gender" with "sex" in our user profiles. Think the whole concept is a muddle, the proverbial "snare and a delusion", and the cause of no end of unnecessary grief and animosity.
Oh yes, I know about the spinning dancer ;-) Doesn't alter the fact that I like sitting watching it... I really do agree on the gender / sex thoughts, gender has been hijacked and is now used as a stick to beat non-U people. Having said that, I object to the SJWs managing to fiddle so with the meaning of words.
Steersman wrote:
Slipterid wrote: Thanks for the kind words; as you say, one day at a time. Currently feels a bit like being tied to a toboggan that's on a massive collision course, but hey.
De nada; kind of know the feeling. Remember a birthday card I received - several decades ago - that "humorously" said "You're not over the hill; you're just picking up speed". The increasing speed is frequently exhilarating, but some of the trim and even some of the wheels are starting to come off, and I'm getting a bit apprehensive about the effects of a sudden stop ... :-)
LOL yeah... Have you seen "Robot Wars"?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I should mention that smoking is banned in the moon and the protagonist is a smuggler. Fire is a real problem. I just wondered when cigars were first mentioned whether they'd blow up like in a Tom and Jerry cartoon or whether it was actually possible to smoke. Since the molar value of another gas is relevant to the plot (I won't spoil more than that) I wondered whether that would explain how a cigar could be smoked. And while I said the atmosphere was pure oxygen obviously that's not entirely true as people still exhale CO2, water vapour, etc, and fart just like on Earth.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Volume, not value.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:
I'm assuming phenotype where the relationship between the genetic disease and associated gene is known (so maybe a goth?). The paper is about how dimorphism in a sexually reproducing species leads to the state of genetic disorders that we observe, which as noted has fuck all to do with a gender spectrum. Still interesting.
Yeah. Since these genes aren't selected for half the time, alleles, that when expressed cause illness or disease, aren't weeded out as thoroughly. Which leads to markedly sex-divergent prevalence of certain diseases -- osteoporosis in women was one example.

It's really amazing stuff, and the study looks very well-put together, and it has fuck all to do with the gender spectrum.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: I should mention that smoking is banned in the moon and the protagonist is a smuggler. Fire is a real problem. I just wondered when cigars were first mentioned whether they'd blow up like in a Tom and Jerry cartoon or whether it was actually possible to smoke. Since the molar value of another gas is relevant to the plot (I won't spoil more than that) I wondered whether that would explain how a cigar could be smoked. And while I said the atmosphere was pure oxygen obviously that's not entirely true as people still exhale CO2, water vapour, etc, and fart just like on Earth.
Smoking in space is a bad thing. In PLANET OF THE APES, Charlton Heston has tucked his crew mates into cryo-sleep and before hitting the cryo-sack himself, records a log entry while smoking a cigarette. He snubs it out -- but obviously not properly cuz when they awake, the female crew member -- the one crew member who would have made the subsequent skinny dipping scene worth watching -- is a decissated mummy.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ape+lust wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:54 am
Not a parody. Just another justice Whitey who thinks Blacks are enchanting critters from another planet. Probably learned most life lessons from "self-actualization" business seminars.

https://twitter.com/MJB_SF

https://imgur.com/wbnGYlb.png
This is how people talk about animals and retarded people.

Holy fucking shit.

This has blown my scale of fucking racism, and I am literally posing as a white supremacist on other forums.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am
I would think so, but I am not sure it would be any more explosive than air at 20% pressure.

However, thinking about combustion, which is a chain reaction involving heat, surely less heat is going to escape through convection and radiation with low atmosphere, meaning your cigar is going to get REALLY hot, and so.... with no nitrogen you can't create nitrogen oxides, and with no more oxygen than normal, a greater risk of creating carbon monoxides.

I wouldn't want to risk it. I can't wait to here the view of somebody who actually knows about chemistry!
Throw the cigar question at thunderf00t. I am sure he is always looking for novel physics questions to explore. He might even light up a fag in a 20% vacuum chamber for you.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Fuuuhk, Slipterid. My condolences fro all your losses. :/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: I have no time for faith.

6cnyPwAuVLo_640x360.jpg
I know. It was punishment. Have we found common ground with Lauren Rose?
Oh no, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Schutzstaffel cosplay.
Common ground has indeed been reached.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/11/30/ed ... ning-body/

How can Eddie Izzard be a transgender when he has always identified as a male?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am
Yeah, but I'm not going to wast 60 minutes grovelling through one of his vids.

Throw the cigar question at thunderf00t. I am sure he is always looking for novel physics questions to explore. He might even light up a fag in a 20% vacuum chamber for you.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

SM1957 wrote: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/11/30/ed ... ning-body/

A girls can change her mind can't she? .. anyway if it walks & quacks like a duck.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Ahh, a proud Kekistani am I!
*sports my lovely new flag*

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I thought he was a transvestite

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

YouTube walked back its crippling of PJW's latest video.

Which kinda just compounds their initial failure with a healthy dose of inconsistency.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I would be prepared to grant that the number of genders is greater than the stars in the sky, or the number of atoms in the universe...

...If and only if, they would reciprocate and grant that my lack of interest in their sex life (or gender expression) is of a similar magnitude.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

MarcusAu wrote: I would be prepared to grant that the number of genders is greater than the stars in the sky, or the number of atoms in the universe...

...If and only if, they would reciprocate and grant that my lack of interest in their sex life (or gender expression) is of a similar magnitude.
Surely Sir, you jest!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Really enjoying the new interface. Maybe I should try uploading some videos....

Ahh, BLISS!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Yeah. Since these genes aren't selected for half the time, alleles, that when expressed cause illness or disease, aren't weeded out as thoroughly. Which leads to markedly sex-divergent prevalence of certain diseases -- osteoporosis in women was one example.

It's really amazing stuff, and the study looks very well-put together, and it has fuck all to do with the gender spectrum.
Well of course, since there's no such thing as a "gender spectrum". There are statistical differences between the two sexes, and then there are outliers. Of course this doesn't mean that the outliers are "not real" or in need of "fixing": to use an example that seems to be understood rather well men are on average taller than women but tall women and short men exist, and actually there are bell curves for height in men and women, they simply don't overlap (there are two different "spectra" of height among men and women).

What the Po-Mo gender theorists do is take the existence of some outliers as evidence that there is no real biological origin of sexual dimorphism, that any statistical difference between the two "gender poles", no matter how strongly defined, is just a social construction, that there's a perfect continuum of overlapping varieties with no "real" relation to any biological phenomena and it's only society that MAKES us think that men and women are any different.

This makes as much sense as trying to say that there is no bilateral symmetry to vertebrates because there are some lateralized organs and because no vertebrate is perfectly simmetrical in its non-lateralized organs anyway.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Interesting that both you and the article refer to Izzard as a he ... Which is actually the most sensible way of dealing with the issue. Likewise with Bruce Jenner who should be forced to return his "Woman of the Year" award - what fucken joke.

The foregoing has been a paid political announcement; we now return you to your regular scheduled programming ...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

rayshul wrote: I thought he was a transvestite
Speaking in a South African nail salon, the comic gave an impassioned speech about why he sees his gender identity as important.

He said of the nails: “I use it as a badge of identity – I am a transgender guy who came out 31 years ago.

“I’ve got boy genetics and girl genetics. We get obsessed by it in humanity. We’ve been obsessed for 5,000 years of civilisation and people are still being murdered – in Uganda they were trying to sentence people to death.

“If you look at a tiger, you go ‘ooh, tiger!’, we don’t go ‘girl tiger’ or ‘boy tiger’. We are obsessed by the genders because we grow up in one gender or another. No other animal is obsessed by our gender – they don’t give a monkeys about our gender.

“No matter what sex or sexuality, how you self-identity, or who you fancy, matters not one whit – what do you do in life? What do you make? What do you add to the human existence? That’s what’s matters.

He added: “It all comes back to Nelson Mandela: Try and put something into the world, and leave something positive.

“The confidence that it has given me, coming out 31 years ago in 1985, is immense – but it was a very hard journey. Very hard.

''I don’t know why, it’s just the genetic cards I’ve been given. A lot of people have said very nasty things to me, have fought me in the streets… but f**k them!

“Because this is real, and this has always been here, so let’s get the truth out, rather than running and hiding.”
So a transgender guy.

Just like Nelson Mandela.

This clarifies everything.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/15/w ... -done/amp/

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

VickyCaramel wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
Really? wrote:

He plead guilty to lying to the FBI, a "nothingburger" that could get him 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He likely will testify against someone else in order to get that sentence reduced. There are other charges he could face too.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... lty-274349

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

b137f095d0cacb32ec99bc1ab9975fd3.jpg
(52.91 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Really loving the new digs and how much easier everything is.

Thanks, Fascit Tit!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Spowl Cheker. Got two remembr too us it.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote: I've been skipping this tedious shite on twitter for the past 6 months or so but this actually sounds pretty meaty. So Flyn's done a deal for his country for a lessor sentence and will testify against others?
He plead guilty to lying to the FBI, a "nothingburger" that could get him 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He likely will testify against someone else in order to get that sentence reduced. There are other charges he could face too.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... lty-274349
Tsk, tsk. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... estigation

Here's the full thing:

The Smoking Gun of the ridiculous Russian Conspiracy Theory this is not.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:11 pm
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Yeah. Since these genes aren't selected for half the time, alleles, that when expressed cause illness or disease, aren't weeded out as thoroughly. Which leads to markedly sex-divergent prevalence of certain diseases -- osteoporosis in women was one example.

Well of course, since there's no such thing as a "gender spectrum". There are statistical differences between the two sexes, and then there are outliers. Of course this doesn't mean that the outliers are "not real" or in need of "fixing": to use an example that seems to be understood rather well men are on average taller than women but tall women and short men exist, and actually there are bell curves for height in men and women, they simply don't overlap (there are two different "spectra" of height among men and women).

What the Po-Mo gender theorists do is take the existence of some outliers as evidence that there is no real biological origin of sexual dimorphism, that any statistical difference between the two "gender poles", no matter how strongly defined, is just a social construction, that there's a perfect continuum of overlapping varieties with no "real" relation to any biological phenomena and it's only society that MAKES us think that men and women are any different.

This makes as much sense as trying to say that there is no bilateral symmetry to vertebrates because there are some lateralized organs and because no vertebrate is perfectly simmetrical in its non-lateralized organs anyway.
The paper isn't about statistical differences or demonstrating dimorphism. It takes those as givens (which is why it's so tragic anyone would try to cite it as evidence those things don't exist). It's about how genes that should be deleterious and get selected against essentially catch a free ride half the time since the male and female genomes are largely identical with the genes in question only being expressed -and thereby having said deleterious effect on fitness- in one gender or the other. This explains why we observe more disorders than the a naive look at evolution would predict, and if I'm understanding how a kind of positive feedback loop can be created where dimorphism based differentiation in gene expression leads to selection pressures for more dimorphism. It's something I'd never even considered before. Don't let it be said SJWs can't be useful, even if accidentally.

Oh, and just for humor.
In all cases, males and females have identical genetic information across most of their genomes, but harbor many distinct sex-specific characteristics.
Human sexual dimorphism has been demonstrated for diverse traits, such as brain anatomy and development [5, 6, 7], behavior [8], mortality, longevity and morbidity [9, 10], and distribution and metabolism of fat biogenesis
Physical performance capabilities and pain response have also been shown to differ between men and women
Gender spectrum!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Oh my. The Beeb has suggested the Queen might make Kate a duchess along with Meghan.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 6.45.28 PM.png
(83.58 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Presumably they are unaware of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote:

Interesting that both you and the article refer to Izzard as a he ... Which is actually the most sensible way of dealing with the issue. Likewise with Bruce Jenner who should be forced to return his "Woman of the Year" award - what fucken joke.
There have been times when an Oscar was awarded to someone that (I think) was not really the best choice. But even, so I don't think anyone needs to be 'forced' to do anything.

Awarding Caitlin (!) Jenner the 'Women of the Year' - did exactly what they wanted it go - it demonstrated their progressive politics, and helped to sell a lot of magazines. It did not turn our understanding of science on it's head any more than the forced return of the award would do.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

screwtape wrote: Oh my. The Beeb has suggested the Queen might make Kate a duchess along with Meghan.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 6.45.28 PM.png

Presumably they are unaware of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?
Kate is already a Duchess, she's the Duchess of Cambridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_of_Cambridge

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Oops! .. didn't see the last bit :oops:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote: fart
CO2, water vapor and farts would be scrubbed out of the environment. C02 for obvious reasons (see Apollo 13), water because eventually it would start condensing on electronics. And farts would have to be scrubbed or else they would be recirculated forever and eventually you would be breathing pure fart. Forget cigars, the really interesting question is how NASA scrubbed farts. There must have been some kind of carbon filter.

free thoughtpolice

Clarence wrote:
The Smoking Gun of the ridiculous Russian Conspiracy Theory this is not.
Did you say you didn't believe that Russia wasn't involved in hacking the DNC emails and feeding them to wikileaks? If so do you still believe that?
Also, why do you thin so many of the Trump gang lie about communications with Russians, even to the degree that they put themselves in legal jeopardy? What reason did they have to do that?

free thoughtpolice

should read Russia was involved