In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Science is just stories, sez the Not So Foxy Folklorist:

Evolutionary Psychology Is a Story (and Not a Good One)
All scientific knowledge is situated in cultural context....

The point here, however, is that popular narratives saying all men are essentially cavemen, and have license to act as such, is a constructed one.

And anytime a story grants power to a certain population, and disempowers others, we should be paying close attention, whether the story is a pseudo-scientific model, or a fairy tale, or perhaps the point where both converge ....
I'd tell her that she's strawmannirg EP, and an ignorant, homely slag to boot, but I'm banned there.
A/S used to combat this sort of idiotic human exceptionalism.

The whole point of emphasizing that we are fundamentally not that far evolved from our cavemen ancestors (10,000 years is a blip in time) is to acknowledge and combat in-built modes of thinking that no longer serve us well in changed circumstances. It's the goddamn opposite of saying we "have license to act" that way. Fucking. Retard.

These are the same dumb tits who laugh at theists for believing in supremely idiotic stories and pay no heed to psychologists who point out how all people are susceptible to flawed thinking, then end up falling for secular scams. They're so sure they can't be fooled that they will always be the first to be fooled.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hemant yet again displays his ignorance of the very religions he criticizes. Score one for the Apologists:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... otherwise/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: Want ME to say it on your behalf ???
Say whatever you like, man. I'm just trying to carry on in some small way the legacy of the great banned-master, our dear and sorely missed John Greg.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Say whatever you like, man. I'm just trying to carry on in some small way the legacy of the great banned-master, our dear and sorely missed John Greg.

He was a bit of a loner, a one man banned.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

He was a bit of a loner, a one man banned.
That's a BPE, no doubt! :rimshot:

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I kinda sorta did, in a visceral, not so intellectual kinda way.

Mentioned how so many men raised by single mothers, whom one would assume would be immune to the pernicious influences of the evil toxic males, grow up to be some of the most misogynistic POS. Waiting for the "but its the evil society which influences them". Then I will respond

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

I've noticed over the last few pages that between all the Pit Art Masters, Parsehole awards and Best Post Evahs those of us who still have an edit button are a distinct and dwindling minority.

[youtube][/youtube]

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Daughter number #1, who I've not had any contact with for quite some time, appeared on my doorstep (out of the blue) with a female friend in tow. Being absolutely wrapped around the little fingers of both my kids, I ushered the long-haired general out the door (money and the keys to my car as "payment") and asked her to give me some time to catch up with #1 daughter.

Anyhoo, as we chatted and consumed tea/coffee with biccies, #1 kid dropped the bombshell that she's engaged.

She was relatively surprised when I was completely calm, took it in my stride and didn't explode in a fit of Victorian and over-protective dad-rage. After I had congratulated her and offered to support the wedding in any way possible, she asked my why I hadn't asked to whom she was engaged? I told her I assumed she was marrying [insert long-term boyfriend here].

Turns out he'd been dumped a while back (apparently he'd treated her like shit, I'll blacken the fuckers eyes if I bump into him again) and she was getting married to...her female friend.

Once again, I was completely calm, offered her friend a hearty congratulations and proceeded to ask the usual questions you'd expect - how did they meet? Do they plan on getting a place together soon? Do they need a hand with decorations or furniture movement etc?

As I was chatting with [insert female friend here], daughter #1 explodes in a fit of outrage because I'm not upset or angry. It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down during which time I was called a million names (homophobe, bigot, relic, Army bastard, dinosaur, right wing thug etc) and #1 kid produced enough tears (and snot) to drown my hounds.

Fuck it. Long story short: she eventually left with a smile on her face and a fresh opinion of her old dad. The wedding is in December, I'm not invited (my ex-wife's condition - will not budge on it) but to be quite frank, I couldn't be happier - they're a really cute couple, seem to be genuinely happy, both have solid/steady jobs and their heads are screwed firmly in place.

Just wanted to thank everyone here in the 'pit for helping me shed my old and fondly nurtured bigotries - I know I'm a thick cunt and only shit-post but over the years, a lot of what you fine shitlords/ladies say (and link to) has had a definite effect. I'm not saying the old "me" would have gone mental but he'd certainly not have taken it so calmly. So yeah, thanks 'pit, here's mud in your eye. I'm off out to smoke a few cigars and get wasted.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

TheMudbrooker wrote:I've noticed over the last few pages that between all the Pit Art Masters, Parsehole awards and Best Post Evahs those of us who still have an edit button are a distinct and dwindling minority.

[youtube][/youtube]
Best. Post. Evar.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

DrokkIt wrote:Over here in blighty, a lot of fuss is being made about Anthony "Mooch" Scaramucci.

For example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politi ... g_share_fb

I saw this interview and found it hilarious, as did Maitlis (who, btw, is strong enough to deal with this guy easily and I'm sure does not appreciate being portrayed as a victim like this).

Thinking about it, it dawns on me that all the gesticulation is pretty common for someone with Italian family (they call it 'hand talk')- my grandmother was Italian and did this kind of thing, e.g. holding your hands when they want to talk over you and waving in your face to make a point.
Emily Maitlis's dad interviewed me for Sheffield University. He offered me 3 B's.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Bhurzum wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:I've noticed over the last few pages that between all the Pit Art Masters, Parsehole awards and Best Post Evahs those of us who still have an edit button are a distinct and dwindling minority.

[youtube][/youtube]
Best. Post. Evar.
I remember my dad telling me that towards the end of the war the Germans were shovelling medals off of trucks and trains for their troops.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Bhurzum wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Best. Post. Evar.
You bastard, you evil, evil bastard.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

[youtube][/youtube]
I'm holding out for a "Slymepit Lifetime of Mediocrity" Award.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bhurzum wrote:Daughter number #1, who I've not had any contact with for quite some time, appeared on my doorstep (out of the blue) with a female friend in tow. Being absolutely wrapped around the little fingers of both my kids, I ushered the long-haired general out the door (money and the keys to my car as "payment") and asked her to give me some time to catch up with #1 daughter.

Anyhoo, as we chatted and consumed tea/coffee with biccies, #1 kid dropped the bombshell that she's engaged.

She was relatively surprised when I was completely calm, took it in my stride and didn't explode in a fit of Victorian and over-protective dad-rage. After I had congratulated her and offered to support the wedding in any way possible, she asked my why I hadn't asked to whom she was engaged? I told her I assumed she was marrying [insert long-term boyfriend here].

Turns out he'd been dumped a while back (apparently he'd treated her like shit, I'll blacken the fuckers eyes if I bump into him again) and she was getting married to...her female friend.

Once again, I was completely calm, offered her friend a hearty congratulations and proceeded to ask the usual questions you'd expect - how did they meet? Do they plan on getting a place together soon? Do they need a hand with decorations or furniture movement etc?

As I was chatting with [insert female friend here], daughter #1 explodes in a fit of outrage because I'm not upset or angry. It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down during which time I was called a million names (homophobe, bigot, relic, Army bastard, dinosaur, right wing thug etc) and #1 kid produced enough tears (and snot) to drown my hounds.

Fuck it. Long story short: she eventually left with a smile on her face and a fresh opinion of her old dad. The wedding is in December, I'm not invited (my ex-wife's condition - will not budge on it) but to be quite frank, I couldn't be happier - they're a really cute couple, seem to be genuinely happy, both have solid/steady jobs and their heads are screwed firmly in place.

Just wanted to thank everyone here in the 'pit for helping me shed my old and fondly nurtured bigotries - I know I'm a thick cunt and only shit-post but over the years, a lot of what you fine shitlords/ladies say (and link to) has had a definite effect. I'm not saying the old "me" would have gone mental but he'd certainly not have taken it so calmly. So yeah, thanks 'pit, here's mud in your eye. I'm off out to smoke a few cigars and get wasted.
Firstly congrats & good luck to your daughter on her upcoming happy day but surely the decision to invite you or not
is entirely the choice of your daughter and her partner is it not. WTF has it got to do with your ex? Phone your daughter and tell her your going.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down during which time I was called a million names (homophobe, bigot, relic, Army bastard, dinosaur, right wing thug etc)....
That's so untrue. You're not a homophobe.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down during which time I was called a million names (homophobe, bigot, relic, Army bastard, dinosaur, right wing thug etc)....
That's so untrue. You're not a homophobe.
:lol: "Damned by faint praise" ... ;-)

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:Firstly congrats & good luck to your daughter on her upcoming happy day but surely the decision to invite you or not
is entirely the choice of your daughter and her partner is it not. WTF has it got to do with your ex? Phone your daughter and tell her your going.
"Hang on honeypops! Dad's coming to your wedding!"

http://www.watchmojo.com/uploads/blipth ... 30_480.jpg

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

piginthecity wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Over here in blighty, a lot of fuss is being made about Anthony "Mooch" Scaramucci.

For example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politi ... g_share_fb

I saw this interview and found it hilarious, as did Maitlis (who, btw, is strong enough to deal with this guy easily and I'm sure does not appreciate being portrayed as a victim like this).

Thinking about it, it dawns on me that all the gesticulation is pretty common for someone with Italian family (they call it 'hand talk')- my grandmother was Italian and did this kind of thing, e.g. holding your hands when they want to talk over you and waving in your face to make a point.
Emily Maitlis's dad interviewed me for Sheffield University. He offered me 3 B's.
Buggery, Bourbon and Biscuits?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: Mentioned how so many men raised by single mothers, whom one would assume would be immune to the pernicious influences of the evil toxic males, grow up to be some of the most misogynistic POS. Waiting for the "but its the evil society which influences them". Then I will respond
But ... but ... BLADE RUNNER ! Christ, these people were dropped as babies. Oh, and now the 'I was a teenage prude' humble brags are coming.

As Shatterface just pointed out, nobody in EP says anything close to the sorts of things those radfem authors accuse them of. Here's an idea, Miss Interpretive Dance: try citing some actual EP papers.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: Mentioned how so many men raised by single mothers, whom one would assume would be immune to the pernicious influences of the evil toxic males, grow up to be some of the most misogynistic POS. Waiting for the "but its the evil society which influences them". Then I will respond
But ... but ... BLADE RUNNER ! Christ, these people were dropped as babies. Oh, and now the 'I was a teenage prude' humble brags are coming.

As Shatterface just pointed out, nobody in EP says anything close to the sorts of things those radfem authors accuse them of. Here's an idea, Miss Interpretive Dance: try citing some actual EP papers.
The problem with the radfems and Evolutionary Psychology isn't that Evolutionary Psychology is as terrible as the SocJus fans believe. However Evolutionary Psychology DOES provide evidence that the "blank slate/"social constructionist" paradigm is bunk. Evolutionary psychology that women and men are, ON AVERAGE, different not only physiologically, but psychologically. Evidence from EP shows that differences in job preferences, in ambition, in aggression, in thrill-seeking behavior, in competition, in life priorities DO matter, and that not EVERY gender imbalance in the workplace is due ONLY to "sexism" (indeed in the less "sexist" countries, like Sweden, the gender gaps in careers are even more pronounced).

Evolutionary psychology is the nemesis of the radfems because it suggests that human nature isn't infinitely malleable, that men and women are different due to their biology and not just due to social pressure, and that attempts to "deconstruct toxic masculinity" or "cancel gender" or "create a gender spectrum" are destined to produce disasters and fail miserably. This is anathema to those who believe that the right kind of PostModern social engineering will create the Perfect Feminine Society.

Indeed that's the biggest problem with entirety of the SocJus. The epistemology of Critical Theory/Neo-Marxist Dialectics is simply incompatible with the results of many branches of science. Human people are tribal, men and women are different, "human nature" cannot be changed because it's not just a "social construct". The Classless, Genderless, Tribeless Communist Utopia is simply a myth. That's the biggest "sin" of EP in the eyes of the SocJus.

More reasonable leftist people realize this and focus on dealing with more practical issues, like welfare or healthcare or protecting the rights of workers and citizens in general by limiting the power of corporations, lobbies and various "special interests", without dreaming of a Perfect Society. But the SocJus requires the Utopian dream, it's only way to justify having spent your life studying Gender Studies and pontificating about the evils of "sexist" video games and "all drunk sex or bad sex = rape".

Social acceptance of the results of EP would mean the death of the goose the lays golden eggs, of the Media Outrage Machine, of the university SocJus cults, of the cottage industry of feminist newspapers, websites, conferences, entryism that has allowed countless SocJus thought leaders to live by spouting increasingly deranged and provocative bullshit. That's why EP must be demonized.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:But ... but ... BLADE RUNNER ! Christ, these people were dropped as babies. Oh, and now the 'I was a teenage prude' humble brags are coming.

Meternich >> Shatterface • 36 minutes ago

Evo psych was invented by cishetwhitemales to justify rape and oppression.

I suggest you open a proper postmodern book and learn something, you ignoramus.
Ok, whom of you is Meternich?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote:Just a thought - anonymouslurker's argument that trans people demonstrate little in the way of reproductive fitness is also an argument that can be used against gay people. I see his point perfectly, but I doubt he would feel so comfortable using it with reference to that larger and better established subset of people.
Interesting discussion over there - archived link - although it sure looks like many are going off the rails and into the weeds (surprise, surprise, surprise).

But I agree that "transpeople aren't demonstrating much in the way of reproductive fitness", and that one might say the same about gay people, if to a lesser extent. Although, as you suggested in a later comment, one might argue that reproductive fitness for individuals doesn't necessarily correspond to such for a society or a culture or humanity itself. Altruism - "taking one for the team" in particular maybe being a case in point.

However, apropos of the "overloading" post of PZ's, I was somewhat surprised to see the "estimable" H.J. Hornbeck weigh-in with a point of view that at least looked like a repudiation of sorts of his earlier "sex is just a social construct" article of faith. I attempted to raise the question on his own FTBlog ("Reprobate Spreadsheet" ?) but it seems he's still not all that open-minded and has blocked me. However, as he had linked to another FTBlog ("A Trivial Knot") where he had commented, I thought to challenge him there on the issue. Wasn't terribly successful - most of my comment was "redacted" - but I have to commend the blog owner ("Siggy") for at least allowing my preamble to stand - I hope H.J. will rise to the occasion and deal with my argument, not that that is terribly likely. In any case, my comment at "A Trivial Knot" for posterity, if not to put a bit of salt on H.J.'s tail:
Tillerman wrote:Hj Hornbeck @6:

Since you seem to have blocked me on your Reprobate Spreadsheet, I thought to respond here to your “Watch Your Language” post, although Siggy may wish to and is certainly entitled to comment on it as well, particularly on the allusion to the concept of principal component analysis:

Saw your recent comment about the (supposed) differences between “gender” and “gender identity” over on Pharyngula, and thought to check out your elaborations and justifications. However, while there might be some justification for labelling “one’s sense of oneself as male, female, or transgender” as that [gender identity], it does seem somewhat “problematic”.

For instance, just because one “identifies” as one of those classes is hardly any proof that one has any “right” to claim the title. You really think that, for example, Zinnia Jones’ assertion, in a “Gender Analysis” post some time back, that “Trans women are female” holds any water at all? Just because you “identify” as something, that doesn’t make it so. As Cathy Young cogently put it in a tweet of hers several months ago:
Young: #BathroomWars 2020: Otherkin who identify as dogs challenge public urination bans b/c they should be able to piss on fire hydrants
Causes some difficulties if we lose sight of or elide the differences between appearances and substances, between surfaces and essences.

In any case, given your apparent support for the assertion that “Sex” refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women, I wonder, do you still agree with your much earlier assertion that Sex really is a social construct, then, exactly as the Transfeminist Manifesto claims?

No doubt there are a great many attributes that correlate to a greater or lesser extent with whatever principal component might be the essential element of the classes “male” and “female”. But it seems remarkably anti-scientific and anti-intellectual to insist that there isn’t one, that the terms can mean anything anyone wants them to. Apropos of which, you might check out the Wikipedia article on gamete:
In species that produce two morphologically distinct types of gametes, and in which each individual produces only one type, a female is any individual that produces the larger type of gamete—called an ovum (or egg)—and a male produces the smaller tadpole-like type—called a sperm.
Seems rather clear from that, and from Google searches of “female definition” and “woman definition”, that the ability to actually produce ova is what defines, is the essential element or sine qua non of, “female” and, by extension, “woman”. No way in gawd’s green earth that either Jenner or Jones, or their equally deluded ilk, have any claim at all to those terms.

Somewhat analogously and to emphasize the point, while the term “teenager” is “socially constructed”, and while there is a myriad of attributes that correlate to a greater or lesser extent with those inside and outside the denoted class, there is still a single objective criterion – i.e., between the ages of 13 and 19, inclusive – that determines whether one is a member of that class or not. It makes as much sense to expect an affirmative answer to the trans-purity test “do you believe trans women are women, yes or no?” as to expect the same answer to “do you believe trans teenagers are teenagers, yes or no?”
Links added here, not present in original. But sure seems a great many people are making a real muddle of the issue - and riding madly off in all directions - as a result of an inability, or a dogmatic refusal, to adequately define the terms and points of reference.

Basement

Post by Basement »

Bhurzum wrote:Daughter number #1, who I've not had any contact with for quite some time, appeared on my doorstep (out of the blue) with a female friend in tow. Being absolutely wrapped around the little fingers of both my kids, I ushered the long-haired general out the door (money and the keys to my car as "payment") and asked her to give me some time to catch up with #1 daughter.

I don't know a lot about these things, but isn't it a bit strange to change sexual orientation? So was she always a homosexual and didn't know it or did she become a homosexual? And she's coming out of an abusive hetero relationship. The "born this way" has been pushed so hard in media that I tend to buy it - but I don't follow these things too closely - is that not the prevailing wisdom anymore? Politically I think it's an irrelevant question, but it's still a legitimate scientific one. Also I find her negative reaction to your lack of anger a little alarming - what's that about? And you don't get to go to the wedding because your ex says so? Hey, but if you're happy, congratulations!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It's nice to see Lauren has a well thought out, brand affirming, response to her Patreon issue.

One that leverages all the support she has been getting and the bump in visibility.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:But ... but ... BLADE RUNNER ! Christ, these people were dropped as babies. Oh, and now the 'I was a teenage prude' humble brags are coming.

Meternich >> Shatterface • 36 minutes ago

Evo psych was invented by cishetwhitemales to justify rape and oppression.

I suggest you open a proper postmodern book and learn something, you ignoramus.
I love Meternich. Always have.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:Firstly congrats & good luck to your daughter on her upcoming happy day but surely the decision to invite you or not
is entirely the choice of your daughter and her partner is it not
. WTF has it got to do with your ex? Phone your daughter and tell her your going.
Due to the moving parts in play, it would cause all manner of problems if I attended. My ex and her family hate me and even though I'd be on my best behaviour, there are several unpredictable nutters in the family and when you add alcohol to the mix, there's no telling what might happen. No, best if I just bite my lip and observe from a distance - anything to reduce the chance of trouble on the big day.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
feathers wrote: <snip>
I love Meternich. Always have.
LoL. Poe your boat gently down the stream? ;-)

But if he/you is a poe then it seems a pretty coherent and clever one - Patrick over at TransParent Expedition and a few others there certainly seem to have been taken in by him. And I've kind of thought he was the real-meal deal, and have responded accordingly, although partly because he seems an ideal foil, but having second thoughts.

Malky

Post by Malky »

piginthecity wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I'm holding out for a "Slymepit Lifetime of Mediocrity" Award.
That's mine you bastard!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Grade A idiocy from Judith Butler I've found on Twatter:
Understanding Hamas/Hezbollah as social movements that are progressive, that are on the left, that are part of a global left, is extremely important. That does not stop us from being critical of certain dimensions of both movements.
There's so much wrong with this.

A) Neither Hamas nor Hezbollah are even remotely progressive, they're both religious conservative movements (if not outright theocratic).

B) Neither have a global reach, they're against Israel, they don't care about the rest of the world.

C) Neither Hamas nor Hezbollah are "leftist", they're both right-wing populist/ethnicist.

D) The groups are only allied with themselves against Israel, without Israel in the way they'd be at each other's throats (Hamas is Sunni, Hezbollah is Shia).

E) Butler's ideas on "gender as a performative act" are very likely seen as sin and decadence by both Hamas and Hezbollah.

Hamas and Hezbollah are interested in an alliance with the Left against Israel, but that's because they desperately need allies. They'd ally themselves with Neo-Nazis to further their goals, indeed they sometimes already have. Those groups don't give a shit about the western "left" or "right", they care about fighting Israel and establishing a Palestinian state under their control, likely one where Islam (Sunni or Shia) has an important role in shaping institutions and society.

Why is Butler considered to be an intellectual?

pleatherface

Post by pleatherface »

I rarely post but this situation got my blood boiling because it concerns the subject of outsider art, which is something I know a little about. It also features discussion of Henry Darger and his motivations and inspirations, misinterpreted through an SJW lense. The little shits got this professor drummed out of his position at The Chicago Institute of Art.

https://rawvision.com/news/bonesteel-af ... ed-chicago

Malky

Post by Malky »

Hoax paper publisked? Is this actually true?

https://www.livescience.com/59927-midi- ... rnals.html

Can't tell myself (plead ignorance here)

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Basement wrote:So was she always a homosexual and didn't know it or did she become a homosexual?
I've got no idea. She started dating at 14 and as far as I know, this is her first female partner. It's not a line of questioning I'd like to pursue and to be honest, given the fact that she's now her own person, it's not really my business. I'm sure that given enough time, she'll offer an insight to that aspect of her personal life when she's ready to. Or not. I'm fine with either.
Basement wrote:And she's coming out of an abusive hetero relationship.
Sort of. My impression is that of a couple wanting different things - she wanted a relationship, he wanted to booze it up with his mates and see her when he could be arsed. I've already put out feelers (I know lots of his friends/family) and will get to the truth (and him) in due course.
Basement wrote:The "born this way" has been pushed so hard in media that I tend to buy it - but I don't follow these things too closely - is that not the prevailing wisdom anymore?
I'm in the "both" camp. There are undoubtedly folks who're born gay and there's very strong evidence to support the notion of becoming gay later in life. Obviously, there are people who suggest the "later in life" examples were simply living in denial or bisexual or whatnot. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, it's bugger all to do with me and as long as nobody gets hurt, more power to 'em.
Basement wrote:Also I find her negative reaction to your lack of anger a little alarming - what's that about?
Short answer - ex wife filling their heads with shit. I'm the bad guy no matter what I say or do. It's that simple.

When I didn't react like a caveman, it kinda caught her off guard and prompted her confused and emotional outburst. She said it had taken her about a month of soul-searching and panic attacks before she finally worked up the courage to tell me. This was the only aspect of the entire thing which genuinely upset me - the thought of my child being scared to speak to me...I don't know, words fail me. I don't hate my ex but this has pushed me very close to a place I don't want to end up in.
Basement wrote:Hey, but if you're happy, congratulations!
Cheers!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote:
Due to the moving parts in play, it would cause all manner of problems if I attended. My ex and her family hate me and even though I'd be on my best behaviour, there are several unpredictable nutters in the family and when you add alcohol to the mix, there's no telling what might happen. No, best if I just bite my lip and observe from a distance - anything to reduce the chance of trouble on the big day.
[youtube][/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

More "happy family" signalling.
Sound the cuck alarm.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 00-h275-nc

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:More "happy family" signalling.
http://www.highscoresarcade.com
Hi -- do you allow dogs?
Ahh, we do and we don't. If it's a small dog maybe and doesn't disturb any of the kids -- but we prefer you don't. It's a discretion thing.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Really? wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:Funny take down, by a rad? feminist, of a Guardian video featuring a bunch of multi-colour-haired special snowflakes:

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2017/07/ ... m-special/

Here's the vid:

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, see how awkwardly this wiki article reads on one of the subjects. It's the first article I've read there that uses they/them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Lester
Never thought I'd laugh at and enjoy a piece from Feminist Current or that writer.

The people in the video are absolutely insufferable, just like any other insufferable person. None of us give a shit if they want to wear purple lipstick and spout nonsense, but they need to stop expecting us to put up with their personal insanity. No one cares if their coworker is a furry. They just don't want to hear lectures about how HR should allow them to have a litter box in their cubicle...just a small one...so they'll feel more comfortable.
I don't mind anyone wanting or having a litter box. I draw the line when they use it.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sound the cuck alarm.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 00-h275-nc
Our Xmas card? Subtle... NOT. She must be feeling the Christmas Cake heebie-jeebies.

He's probably had more blowjobs this weekend than he'd ever thought he'd get in a lifetime :lol:

http://imgur.com/BJoodW0.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
. WTF has it got to do with your ex? Phone your daughter and tell her your going.
Sounds like the basis of a promising independent film.*

* With subtitles in English, please.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote:
He's probably had more blowjobs this weekend than he'd ever thought he'd get in a lifetime :lol:
Well, she is positioned just right.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lively discussion at TFA on Silverman's call to reclaim the label "atheist".

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ent-label/

(For you John Pieret fans, he's in full moron mode, and getting slammed even by his fellow SJWs.)

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Well done to you, sir.

Here's what I'd do in this situation, provided I could afford it: I'd offer to throw the kids a fully banging engagement party. Dunno what exactly but some kind of super-fun thing that could create some good memories. Sounds like her she's either got the wrong idea about her dad, or a very out of date one.

I'd hate to be frozen out of my own kid's wedding- not that I have any kids.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Malky wrote:Hoax paper publisked? Is this actually true?

https://www.livescience.com/59927-midi- ... rnals.html

Can't tell myself (plead ignorance here)
Hoax.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Sounds like the basis of a promising independent film.*

* With subtitles in English, please.
I'm thinking cam shows.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

pleatherface wrote:I rarely post but this situation got my blood boiling because it concerns the subject of outsider art, which is something I know a little about. It also features discussion of Henry Darger and his motivations and inspirations, misinterpreted through an SJW lense. The little shits got this professor drummed out of his position at The Chicago Institute of Art.

They are a clear and present danger.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Excellent.

My daughter got married at the weekend. One of her bridesmaids is "married" to another woman and they have a young son. Daughter and her new hubby had the celebrant note that she was legally required to say "between a man and a woman" but that they supported marriage equality in Australia. I was very proud of them.

It was a lovely secular ceremony.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

DrokkIt wrote:

Well done to you, sir.

Here's what I'd do in this situation, provided I could afford it: I'd offer to throw the kids a fully banging engagement party. Dunno what exactly but some kind of super-fun thing that could create some good memories. Sounds like her she's either got the wrong idea about her dad, or a very out of date one.

I'd hate to be frozen out of my own kid's wedding- not that I have any kids.
Fuck that: pay for the honeymoon and invite yourself along. I am happy to provide some extremely discrete camera equipment so you can sure their safety at all times within their bedroom. And bathroom.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I know it's Salon, but here's another "new atheism" is full of alt-right Islamophobes, and rapists article.

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/29/from-th ... alt-right/

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Lively discussion at TFA on Silverman's call to reclaim the label "atheist".

(For you John Pieret fans, he's in full moron mode, and getting slammed even by his fellow SJWs.)
Kirbmarc - Can you cast a linguistic eye over my preference for saying that "I am atheist" rather than "I am an atheist" over there? It is a personal preference of mine, and feels right, but others have raised reasonable exceptions. I may be making much ado about nothing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Lively discussion at TFA on Silverman's call to reclaim the label "atheist".

Kirbmarc - Can you cast a linguistic eye over my preference for saying that "I am atheist" rather than "I am an atheist" over there? It is a personal preference of mine, and feels right, but others have raised reasonable exceptions. I may be making much ado about nothing.
Ich bin [ein] Atheist?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

DrokkIt wrote:Here's what I'd do in this situation, provided I could afford it: I'd offer to throw the kids a fully banging engagement party. Dunno what exactly but some kind of super-fun thing that could create some good memories.
Now that's an excellent idea! I'll run it past them through the week and see what they think. Thanks for the suggestion.
DrokkIt wrote:Sounds like her she's either got the wrong idea about her dad, or a very out of date one.
Definitely the latter. I used to have some (mild) paranoia about anything/anyone out of the "norm" - hippies, drug users, gays, gingers, pacifists - all very standard for anyone indoctrinated by HM Forces. In the latter stages of my career, I started to break my asshole programming and realize that it was us, the shaven headed fraternity, who are the oddballs.

It's an understandable situation although I'm convinced my ex has been greatly exaggerating things.

Having said all of that, I'm a bit worried about giving my daughter-in-law (to be) the riot act - normally I'd hint about the nasty consequences of breaking my daughters heart (broken heart = broken legs) but this confuses me. Don't get me wrong, she's not off the hook because she's female, I'll just need to adjust the content and style of delivery.

I guess this makes me sexist?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

KiwiInOz wrote:

The first use is as an adjective, the second is as a noun. Same as Protestant/Protestant, Hindu/Hindu, disgusting pedophile-enabling piece of shit/Catholic.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Ich bin [ein] Atheist?
No, your a jam donut.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

The first use is as an adjective, the second is as a noun. Same as Protestant/Protestant, Hindu/Hindu, disgusting pedophile-enabling piece of shit/Catholic.
https://www.joshsteimle.com/wp-content/ ... repeat.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

pleatherface wrote:I rarely post but this situation got my blood boiling because it concerns the subject of outsider art, which is something I know a little about. It also features discussion of Henry Darger and his motivations and inspirations, misinterpreted through an SJW lense. The little shits got this professor drummed out of his position at The Chicago Institute of Art.

Fucking SJWs ruin everything they can to further their agenda. Reflexive destruction to reaffirm their feelz.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Fucking SJWs ruin everything they can to further their agenda. Reflexive destruction to reaffirm their feelz.
Anarchists without the warm cuddly bits.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Bhurzum wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Here's what I'd do in this situation, provided I could afford it: I'd offer to throw the kids a fully banging engagement party. Dunno what exactly but some kind of super-fun thing that could create some good memories.
Now that's an excellent idea! I'll run it past them through the week and see what they think. Thanks for the suggestion.
DrokkIt wrote:Sounds like her she's either got the wrong idea about her dad, or a very out of date one.
Definitely the latter. I used to have some (mild) paranoia about anything/anyone out of the "norm" - hippies, drug users, gays, gingers, pacifists - all very standard for anyone indoctrinated by HM Forces. In the latter stages of my career, I started to break my asshole programming and realize that it was us, the shaven headed fraternity, who are the oddballs.

It's an understandable situation although I'm convinced my ex has been greatly exaggerating things.

Having said all of that, I'm a bit worried about giving my daughter-in-law (to be) the riot act - normally I'd hint about the nasty consequences of breaking my daughters heart (broken heart = broken legs) but this confuses me. Don't get me wrong, she's not off the hook because she's female, I'll just need to adjust the content and style of delivery.

I guess this makes me sexist?
You can't threaten to fuck her up if she doesn't treat your princess with all due respect.
A sacrifice you made when you joined the somewhat enlightened community.
:ugeek:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Fuck that: pay for the honeymoon and invite yourself along. I am happy to provide some extremely discrete camera equipment so you can sure their safety at all times within their bedroom. And bathroom.
Decorum dictates that I become deeply offended by the suggestion.

My inner squaddie is pissing himself.

:oops:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Hot off the press - Shapiro Vs Uygur debate.

[youtube][/youtube]

I've not watched it yet so cannot vouch for anything.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Congrats on both daughter getting married and stepping outside of the bad people expected of you. For a Scot, you're not half bad. Maybe 3/4 :D

How is her bride's family about it? My cousin (female) married a girl a while back. My extended family showed up for (and helped finance) the wedding in vast number, but nobody from her bride's family showed at all, just a handful of her friends.