In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
gurugeorge

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by gurugeorge »

Shatterface wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Other than 'I'm happy' or 'I'm sad' what does that knowledge amount to?
But as I said, there's a lot more subtlety and variation in feelings than that binary, there's a whole landscape to the inner world; and a lot of literature revolves around evoking those nuances in a way that people recognize in their own experience, and writers can be good or bad at that.

So while there's no measurement here, and no testability (until you start crossing over into psychology), there is the possibility of being right or wrong about something.
I wasn't claiming there was a binary, they were just examples - but even if there is an infinite 'spectrum' of feelings, in what way do those feelings constitute knowledge?

Having knowledge of those feelings might be knowledge but that knowledge is not the feelings themselves. A psychopath might know you are unhappy but they do not share those feelings, and that knowledge is not those feelings; on the other hand someone with alexithymia might experience emotions without any knowledge of what those emotions are.
Bertrand Russell made a handy distinction between "knowledge by acquaintance" and "knowledge by description" (and there are other uses of "knowledge" but these are two main ones, it's the latter that's usually meant by the traditional definition, "justified true belief").

So the person who has a feeling they can't name or understand, nevertheless knows it in the sense of being acquainted with it, whereas the psychopath can know you are having that feeling x (as distinct from other feelings), even if it's not something they're acquainted with themselves.

What literature does, generally, is that that the writer draws on their own acquaintance with their own inner landscape, in order to describe it in such a way (often by artfully juxtaposed analogies to more commonly known things) that others can recognize those thoughts and feelings in themselves. This gives others a name for those subtle, but recurring features, so they can talk about them in a way that others (who are also familiar with the literature) can understand. IOW literature gives a common vocabulary for the inner landscape. In that way, knowledge by description is expanded, we have a larger common stock of ways of talking about and signalling our inner states - and the utility of that is better, more refined co-ordination between people.
I don't think scientific knowledge is the only form of knowledge otherwise there would have been no knowledge prior to science. Experience is a form of knowledge. What science and reason and maths tell us is whether that experience can be generalised to tell us something beyond that experience. That's the difference between rational beliefs and the 'lived experience' SJWs bang on about: they take anecdotal data and assume their particular experience can be generalised.
Yeah, and the thing is, maybe it can and maybe it can't - but where the writer leaves it up to the market to decide, the SJW is trying to force the issue.

I've never had any problem at all about the aspect of SJW-ism that's people sharing their feelings on Tumblr. It's amusing to the hardier, more stoic sort of personality type, but it's not per se a bad thing, and as a minorly psychologically wounded person myself (orphan, then adoptive mother died when I was 12), I have some sympathy for it, even in its crazier manifestations. What's been problematic has been the crossover between that and the "oppressor/oppressed" political analysis/ideology.
To be honest, you are losing me here. If a bird's capability of flight is 'knowledge' encoded in their DNA then gene regulation, cell division, morphogenesis and cancer are forms of knowledge. "Aperiodic crystals of language informing our own actions at a memetic level'' sounds like something from Deepak Chopra. If that's supposed to be an analogy the analogy is more comlicated than whatever you are trying to describe.
Yeah, all those things are forms of knowledge - they are "expectations" that the creature's environment will be a certain way (none of them would proceed in the vacuum of space). e.g. DNA blueprints a creature that will look for what we call "water" and drink it. IOW, it "knows" (i.e. is structured to expect) that there will be such a thing as "water" around somewhere. Its musculo-skeletal system is built to "expect" that there will be such a thing as gravity against which it has to constantly balance when it moves, and in that sense it knows (by description, going back to the above distinction - the description encoded in symbolic form in the DNA) that there is such a thing as gravity. As with all purported knowledge, it can fail and be false depending on how the world actually turns out to be.

The only difference with us is that we can symbolize and discuss our expectations, that's what makes them non-scare-quotes expectations. (IOW, we retrofit our own case back to nature, but actually our own case is just a more sophisticated, self-reflexive version of what nature's already been blindly doing.)

"Aperiodic crystal" was Schrodinger's way of describing what the "code of life" logically must be like in his paper "What is Life?" DNA is like a language, language is like DNA, they're both irregular-but-regular sequences of physical things that physically switch other physical things into different states. DNA blueprinting the production of complex proteins which, in total, amount to an animal with its own funny little ways, is analogous to you looking at ink marks on a page, or hearing patterns of sound vibration coming from someone's mouth, and having your physical state (mostly brain/nervous system state, but also hormonal bath in the body) subtly switched so you approach the world in a certain way, with certain expectations about how it's going to pan out - which includes for example having bits of inner imagery, dialogue, feelings, etc. (Note that it doesn't matter that each person's individual imagery may be different, the thing that's "solid,", the thing that's objective, that crosses over between us, is the actual physical objects that we share access to, the social habit patterns of language use, the marks on paper, the stored digits, etc. Nevertheless there will be some similarities - e.g. most people probably have an image of a cat when someone says "cat", though for one it might be calico, for another ginger, for another just a vague cat-shaped blob.)

Roughly, there are three levels to knowledge (as "expectation" in this sense), the knowledge of the world that's built into us biologically; the knowledge of the world that's stored in folkways, customs, family forms and "metis" (know how); and the symbolic knowledge the individual accumulates in the course of their life (which may be consciously pooled and shared - e.g. a scientist's gauge readings contribute to shared science). Each successive form builds on the previous, and at each level you're zeroing in from broader physical, geological, etc. constants, through slowly shifting geographical and historical constants, down to the moment. (i.e. "Shit, a tiger, RUN!" builds on the previous levels, from the tacitly understood constant of gravity that means you'll actually move when you move your legs a certain way; through village tiger lore you heard since you were a child; to visual cues processed incredibly quickly in the here and now.)

(Sorry for dumping this stuff here, it's just things I've been thinking about a lot recently, and a discussion where knowledge is part of the topic seems like a handy place to let it bounce around the esteemed assembly :) )

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

:lol: http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:We are all going to die.

Far sooner than expected.

:bjarte:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LsgBeCgBGfI/ ... rtel-3.gif
Still Sunday morning here...

[noutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA[/youtube]
And here, too:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:All this Princess Diana shit is really getting on my tits now. Fuck the fuck off with it.
????

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

shoutinghorse wrote::lol:

http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg
Odd. When I do a google image search for 'eid al adha' I get:

http://images.indianexpress.com/2016/09 ... 127824.jpg

Strange that.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:
Shatterface wrote:All this Princess Diana shit is really getting on my tits now. Fuck the fuck off with it.
????
It's not the Pit, it's every time I switch on the TV. It just seems to have been wall to wall Diana for months now. The death of Diana 20 years ago seems to have been the trigger for inleashing the feelz of Brits. Before that we had the famous stiff upper-lip. Now it's emotional incontinence.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
????
It's not the Pit, it's every time I switch on the TV. It just seems to have been wall to wall Diana for months now. The death of Diana 20 years ago seems to have been the trigger for inleashing the feelz of Brits. Before that we had the famous stiff upper-lip. Now it's emotional incontinence.
You guys need a new royal scandal. The old ones are getting boring.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

katamari Damassi wrote:BEHOLD! A Salon article against identity politics.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/02/time
Tom Cruise has an ugly bruise on his arm. He needs to stop doing his own stunts.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Walter Becker of Steely Dan has died.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Prince Harry becomes Princess Harriet? Wants to get married in Diana's wedding dress?
It would show the royals are up with the times.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
????
Does this help?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Diana's death was terrible luck for her, but the best possible outcome for her reputation. Her popularity was crystallized at its height and all we can do is wait for her fanbase to grow old and die off.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

SM1957 wrote:Walter Becker of Steely Dan has died.
Didn't they once write a song about Danielle Muscato ???

Big, Black Lives Matter Cow ???

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

shoutinghorse wrote::lol: http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg
In Senegal the holiday is called Tabaski. Everone who could afford it had a ram tied up with a very short tether to fatten it up. Once ours got his tangled to the point he could barely move. Feeling sorry for him, I untangled his rope and while I was bent over he rammed me right in the ass and I went sprawling. Luckily no one was around to see it. I was with my village family watching the sheep sacrifice, and the former EMT in me couldn't help but asses his symptoms as he bled out. I still ate the meat though.

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:True equality can only be achieved with an all-female version of The Bridge Over The River Kwai, with Chelsea Manning as Alec Guinness.
And Japanese schoolgirls as the camp guards.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc wrote:
No scandal bigger than being a Nazi these days ... 'Punch a Royal'

http://i.imgur.com/cbcKQVF.jpg

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

shoutinghorse wrote:Hide all the kitchen knives before you go to bed tonight Chris :?
The threat collector's cupboard is obviously bare. Does anyone care enough to bite nowadays?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Is it really that much of a scandal when you decide to wear one of your relatives hand-me-downs?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
screwtape wrote:True equality can only be achieved with an all-female version of The Bridge Over The River Kwai, with Chelsea Manning as Alec Guinness.
Clarence approves.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:It's not the Pit, it's every time I switch on the TV. It just seems to have been wall to wall Diana for months now. The death of Diana 20 years ago seems to have been the trigger for inleashing the feelz of Brits. Before that we had the famous stiff upper-lip. Now it's emotional incontinence.
Problem pinpointed

Resolution proposed

http://blog.massscheduler.com/wp-conten ... 9086-4.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirbmarc wrote:
Prince Harry becomes Princess Harriet? Wants to get married in Diana's wedding dress?
It would show the royals are up with the times.
That would force Elizabeth to live another century.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

shoutinghorse wrote::lol: http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg
Well, I look forward to seeing this in the streets of England. You've got to be some real racist bastards not to welcome this "cultural enrichment"

Seriously though, I know there are conversations worth having about how we get our meat in the west, and animal welfare is a big part of that of course. However, I look at that picture and I can't help think " fucking savages "

Amirite?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg
In Senegal the holiday is called Tabaski.
If you plan to Eid al-Adha beef make sure you've got plenty of Tabaski sauce.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Oglebart wrote:
Well, I look forward to seeing this in the streets of England. You've got to be some real racist bastards not to welcome this "cultural enrichment"

Seriously though, I know there are conversations worth having about how we get our meat in the west, and animal welfare is a big part of that of course. However, I look at that picture and I can't help think " fucking savages "

Amirite?
You should be able to see similar things at Smithfield's Market - but you would need to travel back at least 150 years.

It's a bloody shambles, I say.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

In fairness, those goats knew the rules before they committed adultery.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Sunder wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: http://i.imgur.com/T7tFELS.jpg
In Senegal the holiday is called Tabaski.
If you plan to Eid al-Adha beef make sure you've got plenty of Tabaski sauce.
Ffffffffffffuck off :lol: :lol: :lol:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Funniest thing he's ever written.

http://i.imgur.com/pzTVOqq.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Meanwhile in the UK this is happening. Sarah Champion, a Labour MP, is being demonized as a racist for pointing out that Muslim grooming/child sexual abuse gangs exist. She chose the wrong language, though, by talking about "British-Pakistani", and making it an ethnic issue.

This isn't about ethnicity, it's about cultural attitudes fostered by religion. The idea that Western women are all whores and worthless is INCREDIBLY common among muslims because that's what the Qu'ran and the ahadith teach about non-muslim women. Some people with less personal moral boundaries take the muslim negative characterization of kaffir women as good only as sex slaves as an excuse to sexually abuse young girls, or other "western" women.

This is a problem that muslim "communities" need to tackle without whining and blaming Jewish conspiracies or "muh racism". The cultural attitudes towards women fostered by islam are appalling and should have no place in a modern liberal democracy. It's time to spell this out clearly without giving excuses, or engaging in "whataboutism", or perpetuating the narrative of perpetual victimhood.

Muslim men are told by islam that "immodest" women are easy pickings and deserve everything that happens to them. Time to change this, and the sooner, the better.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The Catholic Church has a child sexual abuse problem. This is known and not controversial. Why is it controversial to say that islam also has a child sexual abuse problem?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sunder wrote:Jerry's got some scuffles occurring in a post about Hurricane Harvey.

Short version: Some people hear Texas and think "redneck conservatives, of course, serves you right." Others point out Houston is a liberal city in a blue county which thrice-elected an openly lesbian mayor. People are even pushing back against Jerry by pointing out that there's perfectly valid logistical reasons to decline certain types of aid right now, and that while prayers may not do anything, just sending money is the best option.
Was that our barnowl commenting there? I thought she lived near Houston.
That's our Barn Owl, speaking truth to stupidity.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:Meanwhile in the UK this is happening. Sarah Champion, a Labour MP, is being demonized as a racist for pointing out that Muslim grooming/child sexual abuse gangs exist. She chose the wrong language, though, by talking about "British-Pakistani", and making it an ethnic issue.

This isn't about ethnicity, it's about cultural attitudes fostered by religion. The idea that Western women are all whores and worthless is INCREDIBLY common among muslims because that's what the Qu'ran and the ahadith teach about non-muslim women. Some people with less personal moral boundaries take the muslim negative characterization of kaffir women as good only as sex slaves as an excuse to sexually abuse young girls, or other "western" women.

This is a problem that muslim "communities" need to tackle without whining and blaming Jewish conspiracies or "muh racism". The cultural attitudes towards women fostered by islam are appalling and should have no place in a modern liberal democracy. It's time to spell this out clearly without giving excuses, or engaging in "whataboutism", or perpetuating the narrative of perpetual victimhood.

Muslim men are told by islam that "immodest" women are easy pickings and deserve everything that happens to them. Time to change this, and the sooner, the better.
Indeed; well said - even if you're a bit of an "islamopologist" you do periodically make a lot of sense ... ;-)

But interesting article though, and one gutsy and principled woman; expect it took a lot of courage to do what she did. Interesting article here in The Times - behind a paywall but registering gets you 2 free articles a week - that interviews her and which illustrates the "crisis of conscience" it caused. Interesting too is both the flack and the support she's gotten:
Labour’s equalities spokeswoman was blamed for exacerbating racial tensions in an article she wrote for The Sun after the conviction of a sex-grooming gang in Newcastle upon Tyne who were largely of Pakistani origin.

The loudest howls of protest came from fellow Labour members and supporters. After a brief fight to keep her shadow cabinet role, Ms Champion stood down. It was a sacking disguised as a resignation. ....

There is soon proof of this. We find a table in the corner of a bar room heaving with guests at a Labour wedding reception. For two hours, barely five minutes passes without someone offering the MP their solidarity and sympathy.

They tell her that she has been sacked for telling the truth, that it’s a disgrace, that she has their support and that the Labour front bench will be poorer for her absence.

Ms Champion’s crime was to address a subject that is deeply uncomfortable for many on the left. It was a sin compounded by her doing so in a tabloid newspaper that many in her party loathe. ....
Methinks the Labour Party hardly deserves her, or that she should be replacing Corbyn.

In any case, of maybe some related interest, seems she's started a "Dare To Care" website that addresses the issue of child abuse:
The horror and scale of child abuse in the UK has shocked me to the core. I’ve become increasingly frustrated that we only seem to act once the crime has been committed. I believe we can prevent child abuse from happening and I want to lead the cultural fight-back! ....
However, the whole issue does make me wonder how it is that that many young girls could have been assaulted and abused with so few sounding the alarums. And I also wonder how prevalent the problem is outside the Pakistani/Muslim community.

But, somewhat parenthetically, one might also argue that it's not just Muslim culture that thinks "whores are worthless". Seems far too many in Western "culture" look down their noses at "whores" - who are apparently 7 more times likely to be assaulted and murdered than the next most dangerous profession (taxi drivers) - and on the entire profession of prostitution itself which gets a far worse press than it deserves: https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 0149773313

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

shoutinghorse wrote:Funniest thing he's ever written.

He's slowly turning into the sarcastic priest from Father Ted.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Pitchguest wrote:

He's slowly turning into the sarcastic priest from Father Ted.
He needs to get off Twitter. It has completely rotted his brain.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Pitchguest wrote:

He's slowly turning into the sarcastic priest from Father Ted Father Dougal.
FTFY

http://www.gyg.ie/blog/wp-content/uploa ... QJee5O.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:
screwtape wrote: True equality can only be achieved with an all-female version of The Bridge Over The River Kwai, with Chelsea Manning as Alec Guinness.
But who would play Colonel Saito while maintaining the same sexual tension as the original?
wink_wink.gif
(533.66 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Steersman wrote:But, somewhat parenthetically, one might also argue that it's not just Muslim culture that thinks "whores are worthless". Seems far too many in Western "culture" look down their noses at "whores" - who are apparently 7 more times likely to be assaulted and murdered than the next most dangerous profession (taxi drivers) - and on the entire profession of prostitution itself which gets a far worse press than it deserves: https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 0149773313
So I clicked the twitter feed and unintentionally learned more about Steersman's personal life than I ever desired to know.

I don't feel like I should suffer with this knowledge alone. That said, since everything is consensual, and it floats everyone's boat and it keeps Steersman sane. More power to him.
-Soylent

P.S. What is the going rate for Elyse?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: Is Greta Christina on there for comic relief? Did they see her on stage mental breakdown at Skepticon?
Which one did you have in mind?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

P.S. What is the going rate for Elyse?
5L.
Franzia.jpg
(180.83 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
wink_wink.gif

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Holy crap. As the Burning Man was burnt tonight, someone ran into the fire and died from the burns.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -died.html

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Yesterday night. here's another article. http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... 629576001/
It remains unclear whether Mitchell was trying to run into the fire or tripped and fell into it while trying to avoid security staff.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

fuzzy wrote:Yesterday night. here's another article. http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... 629576001/
It remains unclear whether Mitchell was trying to run into the fire or tripped and fell into it while trying to avoid security staff.
Looked like he ran straight into the fire. Saw it all the way. But I'm not going to post the pics. They are at the link. Not pleasant.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Yesterday night. here's another article. http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... 629576001/
Looked like he ran straight into the fire. Saw it all the way. But I'm not going to post the pics. They are at the link. Not pleasant.
But did the dragon eggs hatch?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
That would be about the most horrorific way to die, matched only by eaten alive by rats. I would imagine drugs are at play (hard deduction, Burning Man and running into a fire to be burned alive.)

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Kirbmarc wrote:
feathers wrote:
Clarence approves.
Due to my hard work, they will probably be well-disciplined, so damn right I do.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Catholic Church has a child sexual abuse problem. This is known and not controversial. Why is it controversial to say that islam also has a child sexual abuse problem?
I don't think either is as big as it is portrayed by the media.
What is happening in Britain with the Muslims is a combination of real primitive beliefs by some Muslim men concerning infidel young girls, some real abuse and some feminist inspired sex hysteria. Victims range from the age of 11 or 12 to 16 or 17. Perps range from 19 to 40 or 50 something. The accusations cover a wide range of stuff, some very bad some not so bad, some arguably harmless. The time span is from the mid or late 90's to 2008 or 2010 or thereabouts (off the top of my head). Some real covering up was done (due to the power of the 'racism' accusation) but so was some sensationalism and mixed in are almost certainly a few downright false reports as well.

In short , it's a mess, but that's because British society is currently in the grips of several mass hysterias,(and y es, some downright witch hunts) mostly involving male sexuality. It's interesting to watch the Witch Hunt atmosphere collide with cultural differences and political correctness.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
Question is, did he check if they all were women first?

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

katamari Damassi wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:It remains unclear whether Mitchell was trying to run into the fire or tripped and fell into it while trying to avoid security staff.
Looked like he ran straight into the fire. Saw it all the way. But I'm not going to post the pics. They are at the link. Not pleasant.[/quote]
But did the dragon eggs hatch?[/quote]

:clap: :lol:

I shouldn't have laughed. But I did.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

rayshul wrote:
He had them piss on a Qu'ran then analyzed the urine.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
:-) "Nominally woman" generally works too - don't need a report from 23andMe before proceeding to the launch pad. But once I didn't - 3 sheets to the wind as I recollect - and got somewhat more than I bargained or contracted for.

But do I detect a note of pique? Not entirely on board with "woman: human female (produces ova)"? Thought a sister-punisher & chill-girl extraordinaire, not to mention being someone more in the science camp, such as yourself might have been a bit more receptive to the idea.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
rayshul wrote:
He had them piss on a Qu'ran then analyzed the urine.
:) Say, that might be a useful Plan B. Kill two birds with a single stone: purity tests for both female and anti-Muslim in one fell swoop in case I want to enlist them in my Crusade - win-win.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Catholic Church has a child sexual abuse problem. This is known and not controversial. Why is it controversial to say that islam also has a child sexual abuse problem?
I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question. :-D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
Steersman wrote:But, somewhat parenthetically, one might also argue that it's not just Muslim culture that thinks "whores are worthless". Seems far too many in Western "culture" look down their noses at "whores" - who are apparently 7 more times likely to be assaulted and murdered than the next most dangerous profession (taxi drivers) - and on the entire profession of prostitution itself which gets a far worse press than it deserves:
[.tweet]https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 0149773313[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 0149773313
So I clicked the twitter feed and unintentionally learned more about Steersman's personal life than I ever desired to know.

I don't feel like I should suffer with this knowledge alone.
[.tweet]https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 9728021504[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/5 ... 9728021504

That said, since everything is consensual, and it floats everyone's boat and it keeps Steersman sane. More power to him.
-Soylent
Thanks. :-) But while the profession may not "float everyone's boat" - many are remarkably bent out of shape by it, it was quite gratifying to realize that an apparently rather large percentage of sexworkers seems to hold views similar to that voiced by "HothenDotCom" in response to my tweet: "Ain't that the truth. Mental health, physical health -- and marriage counseling. Escorts do it all". If you're interested in the issue and the social problems it entails then you might want to look at this post by "The Honest Courtesan" [Maggie McNeill] on the same perspective:
McNeill wrote:While I understand why many activists and allies argue decriminalization from human rights, libertarian or harm reduction viewpoints, ... it’s sad that almost nobody wants to acknowledge another, equally important factor: human society needs whores every bit as much as it needs farmers, soldiers, physicians and builders, and far more than it needs preachers, academic feminists, politicians and 90% of the other control freaks who work so assiduously at rousing the rabble against us. Our ancient ancestors understood this; it’s not accidental that in the Epic of Gilgamesh, the temple harlot Shamhat is the one who tames the wild man Enkidu, turning him from a beast to a man. But in the 5000 years since that powerful myth was first pressed into clay, Man’s world has forgotten its debt to us and has generally succumbed to the hubris of believing it no longer needs us; even in areas where our trade is legalized or decriminalized there is the self-important pretense that we are merely being tolerated as a magnanimous landlord might allow stray cats to eke out a marginal living on his property.
Indeed; well said, lady. Fascinating website, articulate and knowledgeable woman - another post along the same line.

Although "consent" is a bit of a tricky if not problematic aspect to the profession, and one that is generally not much helped by making it illegal. Canada recently went through a bit of madness, moral panic, and hysteria on the topic which resulted in our infamous Bill C-36 which criminalized the purchase of sex while making legal the selling of it - further proof that the law is far too frequently and manifestly an ass.
Guest_84d94f98 wrote:P.S. What is the going rate for Elyse?
Something from another of McNeill's posts:
McNeill wrote:While it is completely true that many of those who enter sex work are only interested in money, the same could be said about those who attend medical school. But this type of person will rarely be among the best in her profession, nor will she be the kind of practitioner who puts clients at ease and makes them feel that she genuinely cares about their welfare. In the case of sex work, those who are purely motivated by money are generally less successful and leave the profession sooner than those who view it as a calling; I reckon the equivalent in the medical field probably goes into administration, research or other areas involving less direct contact with patients. ....
Rather doubt Elyse is really cut out for the job.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Get tired of all the junk email you get. Set filters to spam it out. Greeted by empty inbox several times a day. Get the feeling nobody cares about you.

There's a moral in there somewhere.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Hunt wrote:Get tired of all the junk email you get. Set filters to spam it out. Greeted by empty inbox several times a day. Get the feeling nobody cares about you.

There's a moral in there somewhere.
Maybe in Ovid: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quot ... 43433.html ? Analogously ...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I did not know the reason for the Eid Festival but that's some pretty primitive shit too, never mind the other slaughtering. There's giving yourself up to save the world shit, I get the Jesus martyrdom stuff, but willingness to kill your son is some fucked up shit.
Steersman wrote:But do I detect a note of pique? Not entirely on board with "woman: human female (produces ova)"? Thought a sister-punisher & chill-girl extraordinaire, not to mention being someone more in the science camp, such as yourself might have been a bit more receptive to the idea.
No mate, 'cos it's fucken dumb.

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul wrote:I did not know the reason for the Eid Festival but that's some pretty primitive shit too, never mind the other slaughtering. There's giving yourself up to save the world shit, I get the Jesus martyrdom stuff, but willingness to kill your son is some fucked up shit.
YHWH once tried that too, but pulled out with 'LOL just testing' just before things got greasy.

The guy willing to sacrifice his son to God there later lent his name to the major three branches of world religions.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote: <snip>
Steersman wrote:But do I detect a note of pique? Not entirely on board with "woman: human female (produces ova)"? Thought a sister-punisher & chill-girl extraordinaire, not to mention being someone more in the science camp, such as yourself might have been a bit more receptive to the idea.
No mate, 'cos it's fucken dumb.
Sorry, that's not much of an argument. Particularly in the face of most definitions that are provided in various dictionaries and encylopaedias, medical and otherwise. Care to take a stab at providing your own definition - in 25 words or less, and that don't rely on woo? How about this one?
wom•an (wo͝om′ən)
n. pl. wom•en (wĭm′ĭn)
1. A person who is weak in math, has an inordinate fondness for shoes, and turns on the waterworks at the drop of a hat (preferably with lace & feathers and a fetching yellow ribbon) ….
Lots of stereotypical attributes - some flattering, and some, such as those ones, that aren't - that correlate with the primary one - i.e., "produces ova". But kind of get the impression that most "women" rather object to being defined by stereotypes - kind of thought that was a central premise justifiably held by more rational feminists.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Steers. I'm not playing, 'cos it's fucken dumb.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:Steers. I'm not playing, 'cos it's fucken dumb.
Tisn't, you know. You even look at the links to the dictionaries & encyclopaedias? They won't bite, you know; never known anyone to get a virus from opening one.