In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
free thoughtpolice

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirbmarc wrote:
It's weird that so much money is spent with lousy results. Something is wrong. Is it that incompetent teachers have perfect job security since teacher cannot be evaluated through merit pay due to union rules (which is actually a problem in, say, Italy)? Is it lack of control over local school spending? Lack of transparency? Badly-written syllabi (I evaluate syllabi for a living, believe me when I say that a badly written and programmed syllabus can really lower the quality of education)? Badly written tests, based on badly implemented standardized rules? Or a combination of the above?
Could some of it be priorities? Like high schools having their own football stadiums instead of better labs and industrial shops?
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/speci ... 11927.html

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
These thug kids destroy the opportunities of the rest of the students. Vouchers at least provide a lifeline to the kids who care to learn and the parents who support them.
I'm not saying that I know the solution to that problem other than separating the lost cause from the salvageable, but I'm pretty sure that giving tax money in the form of vouchers to mardrassahs, scientology centers, and other vehicles for religious indoctrination isn't one.
But the reasoning is perfectly clear:

Group (teachers unions') are bad.
Thing makes group upset.
Thing good. Good.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Mr. Condell doesn't make many videos but when he does.

https://youtu.be/ydPZRoLzu-E

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Betsy deVos is a cunt. The End.
GO BETSY!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Was going through my FB feed, and fell upon our friend Dan. I think he's pretty much fucked up in the brain:

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A221DF9

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirbmarc wrote:
It's weird that so much money is spent with lousy results. Something is wrong. Is it that incompetent teachers have perfect job security since teacher cannot be evaluated through merit pay due to union rules (which is actually a problem in, say, Italy)? Is it lack of control over local school spending? Lack of transparency? Badly-written syllabi (I evaluate syllabi for a living, believe me when I say that a badly written and programmed syllabus can really lower the quality of education)? Badly written tests, based on badly implemented standardized rules? Or a combination of the above?
Could some of it be priorities? Like high schools having their own football stadiums instead of better labs and industrial shops?
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/speci ... 11927.html
It could be. I frankly don't know. Online sources contradict each other, there's no general consensus on the subject matter.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Fired Google engineer James Damore was interviewed a few hours ago on Rubin Report. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOSD0XK0r8

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Don't know if this was posted two weeks ago, but this is an amazing realtime record, from the Boston event, of a trainwreck descent from relatively civil political argument to mob violence. The guy starts off asking questions, talks about wanting to hear both sides, disavows the things to disavow, and at first it's ok, noisy but people are talking - but then the mob's monster spirit just grows and grows. Talk about the IQ of a mob being lower than its lowest member ...

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Well you know, the little bastards couldn't be bothered to choose proper parents. They don't deserve a chance in life like a proper education so there really isn't any point in trying to improve public schools. Just shut the fuckers down and convert the buildings into prisons for children.
Not to harp on a point too much, but whenever I find myself disgusting with liberal identitarians and their incredibly flimsily disguised contempt for the working class, I can't help but look across the aisle and see an equivalent amount of completely open contempt for the working class.

And while I never saw Trump as a genuine populist, I thought maybe his success might clue Republicans into the fact that their own base, a lot of them far from rich and privileged, just want a little bit of basic respect that neither party seems to want to give them. Apparently nobody caught on. Republican attitudes are still "fuck the poor" and Dem attitudes are still "fuck the white." The working white poor have no genuine friends.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

MarcusAu wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: It's like Torquemada said - "Nits become lice" (or words to that effect).

Be pure.

Be vigilant.

Behave!
I remember that story. And while (sort of) true in context - the 'real' quote and history of the Sand Creek Massacre is interesting too.
John Chivington wrote: Damn any man who sympathizes with Indians! ... I have come to kill Indians, and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians. ... Kill and scalp all, big and little; nits make lice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chivington

As for Torquey (from memory) :

"With Sword and Axe and Mace we cleanse and purify,

We never show any mercy,

All aliens must die, Die, DIE".
If I recall, Chivington fought for the UNION. Went down to Texas to look for Confederates to kill. Didn't find many, so he went up to Sand Creek in Colorado, and found him some peaceful Indians to kill.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

fuzzy wrote:Fired Google engineer James Damore was interviewed a few hours ago on Rubin Report. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOSD0XK0r8

It's one hell of a schnoz, fair play.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:I guess the guilty (or at least murderers) are damned for all time - at least according to some.

Most killings are one time only occurrences - and [snip] Van Houten is not likely to kill again.
I wouldn't be so sure.

http://images.entertainment.ie/images_c ... hrones.jpg

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

How do you know if a blog using Disqus has banned you? I can't tell if it's my shitty internet connection or not. My comment is there but grayed out, and if I refresh the page then it's gone.

Barbie's Boyfriend

katamari Damassi wrote:How do you know if a blog using Disqus has banned you? I can't tell if it's my shitty internet connection or not. My comment is there but grayed out, and if I refresh the page then it's gone.
I think it tells you as much.

Whenever I try to leave a comment a Hemnet Fuckface's blog, I get a message that says the Douchbag Atheist has blocked me from commenting.

What I wanna know is how do you know if you are blocked from commenting on a Word Press blog

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Oglebart wrote: I've always thought it had a sort of Milwall Brick feel to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8fv7D6Rb0K8/T ... ksteps.jpg
The Slymepit -- The Milwall Brick of Atheism Since July 2012™.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hemant Mehta is a twat. He's cultivating his own little Horde of foul-mouthed, irrational wing nuts who pounce to shout down any dissenting voice like a school of piranha. It was only a matter of time before he started banning critics to feed his Horde.

Christian-bashing is a pointless, onanistic exercise for smug millennial atheist twats. The irrelevancy and impotency of atheist activism is only growing by the day.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

katamari Damassi wrote:A consequence of my not taking Adderall is that I have music or songs(usually song fragments)playing in a continuous loop inside my head. Usually it's the last bit of music that I've heard, or something that I see or hear reminds me of a song, but sometimes it's something from the distant past that I hadn't thought about in over 20 years. This morning it's this:
Lucky it's not this:

Er, sorry.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Yeah, I'm cruisin' for a bruisin' (ban), too:

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 3507320564

katamari Damassi

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:How do you know if a blog using Disqus has banned you? I can't tell if it's my shitty internet connection or not. My comment is there but grayed out, and if I refresh the page then it's gone.
I think it tells you as much.

Whenever I try to leave a comment a Hemnet Fuckface's blog, I get a message that says the Douchbag Atheist has blocked me from commenting.

What I wanna know is how do you know if you are blocked from commenting on a Word Press blog
It was shitty internet. Took nearly 5 minutes to post.

katamari Damassi

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Hemant Mehta is a twat. He's cultivating his own little Horde of foul-mouthed, irrational wing nuts who pounce to shout down any dissenting voice like a school of piranha. It was only a matter of time before he started banning critics to feed his Horde.

Christian-bashing is a pointless, onanistic exercise for smug millennial atheist twats. The irrelevancy and impotency of atheist activism is only growing by the day.
Yeah it's becoming Pharyngula 2.0. A couple of months ago there was the post about a guy(in Florida, natch) who got a cross tattoo, then against advice went swimming before it healed. He died from an infection of flesh eating bacteria. Now the guy was a dumb ass, but the sadistic expressions of glee in the comments section section was hordelike and creepy.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Yeah, I'm cruisin' for a bruisin' (ban), too:

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/frie ... 3507320564
I may no longer be able to comment, but at least i can upvote all of your comments

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My little ray of sunshine for today:

The whole thing's a hoot, but don't miss his evisceration of postmodernism at 8:53 and women's studies at 11:22.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Yeah it's becoming Pharyngula 2.0. A couple of months ago there was the post about a guy(in Florida, natch) who got a cross tattoo, then against advice went swimming before it healed. He died from an infection of flesh eating bacteria. Now the guy was a dumb ass, but the sadistic expressions of glee in the comments section section was hordelike and creepy.
Awww c'mon, you gotta admit that's a wonderfully ironic and hilariously stupid way to remove yourself from the gene pool. Or swimming pool as the case may be.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Awww c'mon, you gotta admit that's a wonderfully ironic and hilariously stupid way to remove yourself from the gene pool. Or swimming pool as the case may be.
If the words "flesh-eating bacteria" don't sufficiently evoke enough horror, then read up on the story of the girl who got a cut while ziplining and ended up having both hands and feet amputated. That's some fucking awful shit and I'd wish it on no one, not even a real scumbag con artist like Ken Ham.

I think laughing at a random religious dude who may have done nothing harmful to anyone is bordering on sociopathy. But that's how baboons and increasingly Hemant's crowd act. You don't even have to be a particularly vile or hateful Christian to merit their hatred and derision. Any believer at all will do. Fuck the lot of them.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Another story that comes to mind was the family who, one snowy morning, cranked their car then went back inside to, according to the story, pray before they left (or maybe it was just cold as shit and they wanted to wait a few minutes, as I've done on more than one occasion). Their car was stolen from their driveway and their insurance refused to cover the theft. No end of chuckles to be found at the Friendly Atheist. Middle class families being robbed of thousands of dollars of property and uncaring corporate institutions pouring salt in the wound is just a barrel of yuks. They deserved it. Cuz Jesus.

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote:A consequence of my not taking Adderall is that I have music or songs(usually song fragments)playing in a continuous loop inside my head. Usually it's the last bit of music that I've heard, or something that I see or hear reminds me of a song, but sometimes it's something from the distant past that I hadn't thought about in over 20 years. This morning it's this:
I saw Peter Gabriel in Frankfurt Germany in 1987ish. Fantastic... tons of drunken Germans... stacks of empty beer cans.

Probably saw Lauri Anderson around the same time. Fuck... I'm old... and I apparently hate the poor.

John D

Post by John D »

Sunder wrote:Another story that comes to mind was the family who, one snowy morning, cranked their car then went back inside to, according to the story, pray before they left (or maybe it was just cold as shit and they wanted to wait a few minutes, as I've done on more than one occasion). Their car was stolen from their driveway and their insurance refused to cover the theft. No end of chuckles to be found at the Friendly Atheist. Middle class families being robbed of thousands of dollars of property and uncaring corporate institutions pouring salt in the wound is just a barrel of yuks. They deserved it. Cuz Jesus.
Fuck... seriously... I like almost every Christian more than almost every atheist these days... present company excluded.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Sunder wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
If the words "flesh-eating bacteria" don't sufficiently evoke enough horror, then read up on the story of the girl who got a cut while ziplining and ended up having both hands and feet amputated. That's some fucking awful shit and I'd wish it on no one, not even a real scumbag con artist like Ken Ham.

I think laughing at a random religious dude who may have done nothing harmful to anyone is bordering on sociopathy. But that's how baboons and increasingly Hemant's crowd act. You don't even have to be a particularly vile or hateful Christian to merit their hatred and derision. Any believer at all will do. Fuck the lot of them.
Having nursed my wife through a bacterial infection (and its aftermath) that left a wound in her lower back/upper ass big enough to fit both my large fists, I'm well aware of the horrors of bacteria.

As for the dead guy, fuck him. I've spent my life doing work where even a split second's worth of stupid can be fatal to both me and anyone nearby. When someone who has had the dangers explained to him and been warned against an action does it anyway, I rejoice in the fact that he was the only one killed.

Sociopathic? Yes. Any sympathy I may have once felt for that kind of stupid was crushed out of me decades ago by the weight of responsibility for my own life.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Hemant Mehta is a twat. He's cultivating his own little Horde of foul-mouthed, irrational wing nuts who pounce to shout down any dissenting voice like a school of piranha. It was only a matter of time before he started banning critics to feed his Horde.

Jordan Peterson talks about how the loss of meaning provided by religion often leads people to become nihilistic or fall into totalitarian ideologies. To me it's kind of funny seeing the latter observation play out on the internet, with ideologically steeped blowhards like PZ accumulating little hordes who want to establish echo chambers and stamp out thoughtcrime.

Here's to the alternative!

https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress. ... 1140&h=611

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

H/t a certain citrus plantation, some people are starting to suss out Wu's con job:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Old_ones wrote:Jordan Peterson talks about how the loss of meaning provided by religion often leads people to become nihilistic or fall into totalitarian ideologies. To me it's kind of funny seeing the latter observation play out on the internet, with ideologically steeped blowhards like PZ accumulating little hordes who want to establish echo chambers and stamp out thoughtcrime.
Meant to mention this when there was a discussion of Hitchens a few pages back. Much as I like the man, it's clear his brazen attitude had very negative and long-lasting effects on organized A/S. Even as he was recast as a villain after his death, his influence on people like Peez was still obvious. You could say they threw out the baby and kept the bathwater to stew in.

Meanwhile the remaining living Horsemen are all polite to a fault and hard to imagine doing something so crass as publicly posting fantasies about stabbing priests in the street.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote:
Sunder wrote:Another story that comes to mind was the family who, one snowy morning, cranked their car then went back inside to, according to the story, pray before they left (or maybe it was just cold as shit and they wanted to wait a few minutes, as I've done on more than one occasion). Their car was stolen from their driveway and their insurance refused to cover the theft. No end of chuckles to be found at the Friendly Atheist. Middle class families being robbed of thousands of dollars of property and uncaring corporate institutions pouring salt in the wound is just a barrel of yuks. They deserved it. Cuz Jesus.
Fuck... seriously... I like almost every Christian more than almost every atheist these days... present company excluded.
Expect more than a few here - even nominal atheists - are kind of willing to keep an open mind on the question, to consider that there may well be a credible third alternative to the rather narrow and limiting set of {"anthropomorphic gawd", "no anthropomorphic gawd"}.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Sunder wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Jordan Peterson talks about how the loss of meaning provided by religion often leads people to become nihilistic or fall into totalitarian ideologies. To me it's kind of funny seeing the latter observation play out on the internet, with ideologically steeped blowhards like PZ accumulating little hordes who want to establish echo chambers and stamp out thoughtcrime.
Meant to mention this when there was a discussion of Hitchens a few pages back. Much as I like the man, it's clear his brazen attitude had very negative and long-lasting effects on organized A/S. Even as he was recast as a villain after his death, his influence on people like Peez was still obvious. You could say they threw out the baby and kept the bathwater to stew in.

Meanwhile the remaining living Horsemen are all polite to a fault and hard to imagine doing something so crass as publicly posting fantasies about stabbing priests in the street.
:lol: Nice analogy ... ;-) But quite an accurate one.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:My little ray of sunshine for today:

[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEcV5XnuVU[/youtube]

The whole thing's a hoot, but don't miss his evisceration of postmodernism at 8:53 and women's studies at 11:22.
Awesome, possum. Guy has his head screwed on right - more or less in any case. Seems he's kind of stuck on the horns of a dilemma, although he seems to have an inkling of a way off of it. Apropos of which, something from his My New Year’s [2016] Letter to the World:
Peterson wrote:The central problem of human beings isn’t religion, as the New Atheists insist. It’s tribalism. We know this in part because chimps, our closest biological kin, go to war, and they are not religious, although they are tribal. ....

One alternative to fragmentation is union under a banner – a collective ideal, cause, or purpose. The problem with uniting under a banner, as the postmodernists who push identity politics rightly point out, is that to value something means simultaneously to devalue other things. Thus to value is an exclusionary process. But the alternative is valuelessness, which is equivalent to nihilism – and nihilism does not produce freedom from exclusion. ....

Human beings have been wrestling with this problem since the beginning of civilization, when our capacity to form large groups, for all its advantages, also started to pose a new threat: that of the hyper-domination of the state, collective or purpose. But without the state, there is just fragmentation into smaller groups. The group itself cannot be done away with because for better or worse, human beings are social animals, not loners, like sharks or tigers. ....

We need to wake up, individual man and woman alike, and we need to do it now. Each of us must take the world on our shoulders, insofar as we are capable of that, and adopt individual responsibility for the horrors and suffering its existence entails. In that we will find the Meaning without which Life is merely the suffering that breeds, first, resentment and then the desire for vengeance and destruction. We need to take responsibility, instead of incessantly insisting on our rights. We need to become adults, instead of aged children. We need to tell the truth. We need justice and compassion, conjoined; not judgment and pity, which crush and devour. ...

Until we can imagine better than that, that is Meaning and Purpose enough.
"Amen" to that.

Changing gears somewhat, and to kill the proverbial two birds with a single stone, and not that I wish to "egg" anyone on, but my latest comment over at Mehta's post on "The Nashville Statement" on the sadly perennial questions of what is "woman" and what is "female". ;-)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Interestingly kiwi's got a thread for Muskrat now, and the first page has more than one person who's solidly convinced he's a high(or low)-effort troll/satirist before additional information slowly drives home the point that no, he's very serious.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote:Education Secretary Betsy DeVos gave a speech in which she went against the "Dear Colleague" rape culture witch hunt bullshit.
In a major speech assailing the deprivation of due process protections under the Obama administration, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos will vow to rein in the federal guidance compelling colleges to adjudicate sexual assault disputes between students.

Reason has obtained excerpts from her prepared remarks, which DeVos will deliver at George Mason University this afternoon.

No one could accuse DeVos of pulling punches. Her speech accuses her predecessors of "weaponizing" federal regulations and turning them against students.

"The era of 'rule by letter' is over," her speech says, referencing the Obama-era Education Department's infamous "Dear Colleague" letter, which fundamentally changed the way schools handle sexual misconduct issues. "Through intimidation and coercion, the failed system has clearly pushed schools to overreach."
http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/07/betsy ... -ix-campus

As you might expect, the left is lying and/or stupid about saying that DeVos wants each woman in the country to be raped at least twice and by at least two different men. (I'm slightly exaggerating.) #StopBetsy. (Stop her from what, exactly.)

College Rape Accusations and the Presumption of Male Guilt
Inbox
x
Goldman, Arthur <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.gov>

9/9/11

to me

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting the Office for Civil Rights in the United States Department of Education. We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts.

Arthur R. Goldman

Office for Civil Rights

Customer Service Team Leader

***********************************************************************************************

From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: Ali, Russlynn

Sent: Thu Aug 25 13:06:54 2011

Subject: College Rape Accusations and the Presumption of Male Guilt

Dear Ms Ali,

Are you aware of the article in the Wall Stree Journal?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... on_LEADTop

I am a parent with one boy in College and another due to start in

another year, and I am appalled that if my son were to be falsely

accused of rape that he would be subjected to the kind of kangaroo

court that you appear to be advocating.

I have advised my son to have nothing to do with any woman while on

campus, in the hope that this will minimize the risk to his current

and future well being that your policy represents.

Quite frankly, I wonder how you can conceivable justify this complete

and utter travesty of due process except by assuming that a male, any

male is automatically guilty of any accusation if it is made by a

female.

Have you no male relatives or friends in college?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I mention that none of my kids went to a college in the USA after all?

Fun fact. One of my boys concealed from me for an entire term that he had been assigned a female room mate because he believed I would have freaked out been unreasonably concerned.

I had to explain that this is Canukistan where it is completely unremarkable. In fact I then told him about my experience at York University where the washrooms/showers are co-ed.

(Later on I realized that most women went to the showers in pairs. Even so, I recall being a little startled the first time while I was shaving, two women casually wandered in and got into the showers. I was completely ignored. Judging that this was the protocol, I likewise did the same).

Whatever man. Fuck (Die Antwoord)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

John D wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
The kids with bad parents will just end up in prison anyway... so who the fuck cares.
Well you know, the little bastards couldn't be bothered to choose proper parents. They don't deserve a chance in life like a proper education so there really isn't any point in trying to improve public schools. Just shut the fuckers down and convert the buildings into prisons for children.
Did anyone ever tell you that you are a lovely person John? No? It's because you aren't.
Most urban schools are little prisons where the students feel threatened and scared. There are maybe 10-15% of students who are essentially hard core criminals.... fighting, robbing, and drugging. Excuse me if I hold out little hope for these criminal delinquents. If there was any proof that we could save these kids using traditional methods in public schools then I would be all for it. But, nothing has worked and nothing is working for these dropouts.

These thug kids destroy the opportunities of the rest of the students. Vouchers at least provide a lifeline to the kids who care to learn and the parents who support them.

I am no fan of throwing good money at a fucking punk who just need to get locked up. Warehouse the little fuckers.

Yep... I'm a complete dick!
I have long argued that the secret to success in life is to choose your parents carefully.

Just saying.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Really? wrote:Education Secretary Betsy DeVos gave a speech in which she went against the "Dear Colleague" rape culture witch hunt bullshit.
In a major speech assailing the deprivation of due process protections under the Obama administration, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos will vow to rein in the federal guidance compelling colleges to adjudicate sexual assault disputes between students.
<snip>

"The era of 'rule by letter' is over," her speech says, referencing the Obama-era Education Department's infamous "Dear Colleague" letter, which fundamentally changed the way schools handle sexual misconduct issues. "Through intimidation and coercion, the failed system has clearly pushed schools to overreach."
http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/07/betsy ... -ix-campus

As you might expect, the left is lying and/or stupid about saying that DeVos wants each woman in the country to be raped at least twice and by at least two different men. (I'm slightly exaggerating.) #StopBetsy. (Stop her from what, exactly.)

[.tweet]https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/9 ... 0832884736[/tweet]
<snip>
(Later on I realized that most women went to the showers in pairs. Even so, I recall being a little startled the first time while I was shaving, two women casually wandered in and got into the showers. I was completely ignored. Judging that this was the protocol, I likewise did the same).

Whatever man. Fuck (Die Antwoord)
Nice that some on the Left - apparently - are ready to read the writing on the wall, although it might have been nicer if more had been willing to do so before Trump's election. One might reasonably ask whether that situation would have changed if Clinton - gawd forbid - had been (will ever be) elected Prez: https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/9 ... 2059100160
https://twitter.com/clayroutledge/statu ... 7262138369

Sure a lot of slow learners in the Democratic camp - sadly starting with Clinton herself.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Some people aren't looking for anything logical, like protecting civil rights, defending separation of church and state, or criticizing harmful aspects of religion. They can't be reasoned, or negotiated with. Some people just want to watch the people they hate burn.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Richard Carrier appears to be trying to edge himself up to the cliff of being Mr. Middle Ground Guy.

http://archive.is/IRVdD

It is a word vomit reminiscent of a far less logically consistent Steersman circa 2014.

This guy has some serious rose colored glasses on when he reflects about what he has engaged in. It is understandable. No one wants to see themselves as the bad guy.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote:H/t a certain citrus plantation, some people are starting to suss out Wu's con job:
Since Wu looks like a giant rotting preying mantis, contact with voters would surely not help. I think anyone would cringe just at the thought of a 'congress with Brianna Wu'.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Who did you lose to again, Bernie?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Who did you lose to again, Bernie?
To someone who struggled against a self-declared socialist (usually political poison) so much that she had to ask the DNC to help her out? :lol:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote: Awesome, possum. Guy has his head screwed on right - more or less in any case. Seems he's kind of stuck on the horns of a dilemma, although he seems to have an inkling of a way off of it. Apropos of which, something from his My New Year’s [2016] Letter to the World:
Peterson wrote:The central problem of human beings isn’t religion, as the New Atheists insist. It’s tribalism. We know this in part because chimps, our closest biological kin, go to war, and they are not religious, although they are tribal. ....

One alternative to fragmentation is union under a banner – a collective ideal, cause, or purpose. The problem with uniting under a banner, as the postmodernists who push identity politics rightly point out, is that to value something means simultaneously to devalue other things. Thus to value is an exclusionary process. But the alternative is valuelessness, which is equivalent to nihilism – and nihilism does not produce freedom from exclusion. ....

Human beings have been wrestling with this problem since the beginning of civilization, when our capacity to form large groups, for all its advantages, also started to pose a new threat: that of the hyper-domination of the state, collective or purpose. But without the state, there is just fragmentation into smaller groups. The group itself cannot be done away with because for better or worse, human beings are social animals, not loners, like sharks or tigers. ....

We need to wake up, individual man and woman alike, and we need to do it now. Each of us must take the world on our shoulders, insofar as we are capable of that, and adopt individual responsibility for the horrors and suffering its existence entails. In that we will find the Meaning without which Life is merely the suffering that breeds, first, resentment and then the desire for vengeance and destruction. We need to take responsibility, instead of incessantly insisting on our rights. We need to become adults, instead of aged children. We need to tell the truth. We need justice and compassion, conjoined; not judgment and pity, which crush and devour. ...

Until we can imagine better than that, that is Meaning and Purpose enough.
"Amen" to that.
Peterson has his own axe to grind against atheists (new or otherwise) and is not above using apologetics when it suits his purposes.

Meaning? Purpose? Life? What's with all the capitalisation - is a new definitional bifurcation happening like with 'Truth' and 'truth'?

Does he provide a link to any of the new atheists insisting that the central problem of human beings is religion? And surely there is at least some overlap between tribalism and religion?

As to religion in chimpanzees, who knows? Perhaps Robert Sapolsky would have more to say on the subject (though he studies baboons, rather than chimps).

nb I'd ask the deists to step up to the plate and provide more evidence that a prime mover was involved in the creation of the universe - but I suspect that would be missing the point.

nb 2 I've noticed that Dawkins, Hitchens & Harris seem to be appreciated more in the ex-muslim circles these days.

So, no amens from me.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:Richard Carrier appears to be trying to edge himself up to the cliff of being Mr. Middle Ground Guy.

http://archive.is/IRVdD

It is a word vomit reminiscent of a far less logically consistent Steersman circa 2014.

This guy has some serious rose colored glasses on when he reflects about what he has engaged in. It is understandable. No one wants to see themselves as the bad guy.
He misrepresented the status of his academic publishing house. Knowingly and with intent.

That is all you have to know.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Wham bam ....

feathers

Post by feathers »

Sunder wrote:H/t a certain citrus plantation, some people are starting to suss out Wu's con job
If you think about the same plantation as I do, I don't think it's citrus they're growing, but rather a type of oversized berry.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Looks like there's been some backwash from Tricky Dicky's brain into the pure, clean air of Bayes Theorem.

HOW DO WE GET BREASTS OUT OF BAYES THEOREM?

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

My wife and I are playing Guild Wars 2 now, because World of Warcraft lost its charm for us. Right now we're both locked out of our games, after buying both expansions, possibly because we bought hers and mine with the same PayPal account.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote:Wham bam ....

Is that her tweet or one she's 'reworked' ? :whistle:

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

The Guardian confirms that if the victims of rape are 100% of one race, then race is not a factor

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

SM1957 wrote:The Guardian confirms that if the victims of rape are 100% of one race, then race is not a factor

Almost all the perpetrators were of Asian Muslim descent, and it is right that the serious case investigation should consider what shared values, background, employment or interests brought these men together, whether there was a criminal culture that “normalised” this abuse, and how that culture was formed. I will be writing to the investigating officer to ensure he does so.
Yes, what could be the common factor, what could it be???

John D

Post by John D »

Hunt wrote:
SM1957 wrote:The Guardian confirms that if the victims of rape are 100% of one race, then race is not a factor

Almost all the perpetrators were of Asian Muslim descent, and it is right that the serious case investigation should consider what shared values, background, employment or interests brought these men together, whether there was a criminal culture that “normalised” this abuse, and how that culture was formed. I will be writing to the investigating officer to ensure he does so.
Yes, what could be the common factor, what could it be???
Why!? Why do you send me to the piece of shit "Guardian"?!?! Fuck me.... when I read that rag I feel like the world is going to come to an end at the hands of evil progressives. It does remind me however that I am happy Hillary lost.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote: Meant to mention this when there was a discussion of Hitchens a few pages back. Much as I like the man, it's clear his brazen attitude had very negative and long-lasting effects on organized A/S. Even as he was recast as a villain after his death, his influence on people like Peez was still obvious. You could say they threw out the baby and kept the bathwater to stew in.

Are you blaming Hitchens' sharp, withering critique of ideas for the base, misanthropic vitriol of worms like PZ? Peez' is a miserable, hateful, resentful shit and has been since childhood.

Matt Cavanaugh

Bernie Ist Eyn Alter Kvetch

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Who did you lose to again, Bernie?
To someone who struggled against a self-declared socialist (usually political poison) so much that she had to ask the DNC to help her out? :lol:
Is that excuse from Bernie's book, What Happened to Me? Those DNC Mamzers is what Happened!

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote: Meant to mention this when there was a discussion of Hitchens a few pages back. Much as I like the man, it's clear his brazen attitude had very negative and long-lasting effects on organized A/S. Even as he was recast as a villain after his death, his influence on people like Peez was still obvious. You could say they threw out the baby and kept the bathwater to stew in.

Are you blaming Hitchens' sharp, withering critique of ideas for the base, misanthropic vitriol of worms like PZ? Peez' is a miserable, hateful, resentful shit and has been since childhood.
PZ, David Silverman, Becky, and others think they are following in the tradition of Hitchens. They think they are clever and funny so they have taken on an aggressive style in communication. The problem is that Hitch was a genius. The Hitch wanna-bes are just angry and stupid. I do think that some of the most vile and repulsive new atheists see themselves as following in Hitch's footsteps. In reality, they are not even a cheap imitation. They are simply ignorant hypocrites.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I guess I'm still enough of a believer in free will that I think a persons words and actions are their own responsibility. If they don't get the credit they don't get the blame either.

Though listening to the Sam Harris / Robert Sapolsky interview is causing me to moderate this view somewhat.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/ ... d-and-evil

So at this point I'm probably less free will-y.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Sunder wrote:H/t a certain citrus plantation, some people are starting to suss out Wu's con job:
Is kiwi a citrus fruit now?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:Wham bam ....

Perhaps she'll now turn to porn to bring in the dough?

:whistle: