Post by Bhurzum »

Kirbmarc

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Kirbmarc »

OMG you're worse than Hitler.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Sarkod has hit the big time and Pepe the frog is too gay. :P
[.youtube][/youtube]
Jones is nothing if not entertaining, in part because he seems in the throes of apoplexy.

In any case:
Shrimp on Prozac are killing themselves

A study shows that drug traces in our waste can affect marine life behavior, but can crustaceans have feelings?

.... But ecological crisis notwithstanding, is it possible that shrimp could actually become suicidal? Or even more goofily, be so blissfully joyful that they become reckless? Dr. Alex Ford — who conducted the study — pointed me toward other studies that show other fish swim lazily near the surface of the water when surrounded by traces of antidepressants. Are they losing all their anxiety and just happy to hang out and do the backstoke? ....

Ford was clear to point out that, no, these shrimp are technically not suicidal, nor are they so overjoyed they’re looking for the light. “Probably best not using the term ‘anxiety,’ as this suggests fish have conscious thought and would be anthropomorphic,” he wrote to me in an e-mail. Shrimp don’t really have “brains,” as we understand them; their nervous systems are simply too simple. It’s just that, for whatever reason, the hormone serotonin — which fluoxetine bumps up — happens to help control feelings of happiness in people, and in shrimp controls the instinct to swim toward or away from light. Don’t read too much into it. Shrimp are not people, too. ...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

DrokkIt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Happy belated 4oJ pit-people.

And screw, thanks - you are a better resource (and far more accessible) than the Aust War Memorial website.

I spent 10 mins trying to get a simple map of what I had seen, but to no avail.
I'll see your Lauren, and raise you:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD7otcjXsAEcz0B.jpg:large
Couple more like that, and you'll be considered for a Pit Art Master award.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ditto! But you'll have to give back your Parsehole award (and that is harder to come by).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:Can't resist it...

[.img]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5e ... e97301.gif[/img]
:lol:

Sure seems like CNN has a serious predilection for shooting themselves in the feet. And then reloading and repeating. Might be nice to see them follow Gawker into bankruptcy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

All this outrageousness is exhausting.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Coyne's determinism fetish is getting tiresome. In a post on some edgelord 19yo kid who killed endangered birds for kicks, Coyne says:
I’m tired of people getting off for torturing or killing animals that can think and feel, like cats being shot with arrows. Let them go to jail. Why? Because although they couldn’t have done otherwise, their incarceration serves as a strong deterrent to others who torture and kill animals, something that’s far too frequent.
Bolding mine.

Fuck's sake. I get it. You think all people are automata. I think that position makes a lot of what you do seem rather stupid. But I guess you can't choose to do otherwise, even if it is stupid.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ wants to fuck the kid that made the CNN wrestling gif into the ground:
http://archive.is/KeQMq
There are people who have to be anonymous on the internet, who express themselves as decent human beings…and they have to be anonymous to protect themselves from vicious petty bullies like HanAssholeSolo. I’ll be more amenable to accepting that apology when he admits to himself that the middle part of his nom de smear was exactly accurate and describes precisely what he is.
FFS. That gif was a big nothing. Not a call to violence by the kid that posted it. I suppose it can be argued that with Trump posting it there is a possibility that combined with the rest of his anti-media propaganda it could set off some nut, but to blame a 15 year old kid for Trump reposting it is ridiculous.
He's not a 15 year old kid. according to Sargons latest vid HanAssholeSolon posted on reddit several months ago that he was a teenager in 1990.

FFW to 18:06
[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:Coyne's determinism fetish is getting tiresome. In a post on some edgelord 19yo kid who killed endangered birds for kicks, Coyne says:
I’m tired of people getting off for torturing or killing animals that can think and feel, like cats being shot with arrows. Let them go to jail. Why? Because although they couldn’t have done otherwise, their incarceration serves as a strong deterrent to others who torture and kill animals, something that’s far too frequent.
Bolding mine.

Fuck's sake. I get it. You think all people are automata. I think that position makes a lot of what you do seem rather stupid. But I guess you can't choose to do otherwise, even if it is stupid.
Also, even if determinism is true, "he couldn't have done otherwise" is dumb. Maybe he could have if he had been exposed to different stimuli (if, for example, their parents had punished him for other thing he's done before). Coyne is ready to acknowledge the deterrent effect of prison, surely he can acknowledge the deterrent effect of other forms of punishment.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

And over at Hemant's, in another post about FGM, someone mentions circumcision, several other people bitch about people mentioning circumcision, and some bright bulb posts the following:
I'm cut as i'm sure many are. Can confirm that a direct comparison with FMG is offensive and absurd. You really think men would practice something that had a significant detrimental effect on their ability to enjoy sex?
You mean like chastity? Fucking hell.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

He's not a 15 year old kid. according to Sargons latest vid HanAssholeSolon posted on reddit several months ago that he was a teenager in 1990.
Right then. Just Trump supporters posting fake news.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Also, even if determinism is true, "he couldn't have done otherwise" is dumb. Maybe he could have if he had been exposed to different stimuli (if, for example, their parents had punished him for other thing he's done before). Coyne is ready to acknowledge the deterrent effect of prison, surely he can acknowledge the deterrent effect of other forms of punishment.
I really don't see how Coyne could have written anything else.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
So all Trump supporters post nothing but fake news?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I really don't see how Coyne could have written anything else.
I knew you were going to say that ...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I wasn't sure whether to say anything - so flipped a coin to make the decision.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ wants to fuck the kid that made the CNN wrestling gif into the ground:
http://archive.is/KeQMq
There are people who have to be anonymous on the internet, who express themselves as decent human beings…and they have to be anonymous to protect themselves from vicious petty bullies like HanAssholeSolo. I’ll be more amenable to accepting that apology when he admits to himself that the middle part of his nom de smear was exactly accurate and describes precisely what he is.
FFS. That gif was a big nothing. Not a call to violence by the kid that posted it. I suppose it can be argued that with Trump posting it there is a possibility that combined with the rest of his anti-media propaganda it could set off some nut, but to blame a 15 year old kid for Trump reposting it is ridiculous.
PZ v A teenage internet troll? I'll lay $100 on the teenager

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Sunder wrote:Coyne's determinism fetish is getting tiresome. In a post on some edgelord 19yo kid who killed endangered birds for kicks, Coyne says:
Bolding mine.

Not to get the free will debate going again, but what does that mean exactly? He wants to incarcerate people who couldn't help but commit crimes to deter other people from committing crimes, which means said potential future criminals *can* do otherwise?

There are exceptions, but the bulk of people I know who think determinism is incompatible with free will seem perfectly happy to slip back and forth between that meaning fatalism is correct and also that it doesn't mean fatalism is correct.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The horde have come out to play on the PZ CNN debacle.

It's not the meme they are offended by. They have spotted the beast.

"Kill the beast. Cut its throat. Spill its blood."
Honestly? I can’t summon a single shit to give. This guy comes from the same sphere of domestic terrorists that routinely dox people for saying such inane things as “women are people.” The only reason they can routinely get away with it is their anonymity.

So fuck it. Blackmail them. Hold that shit over their head loud and proud. Dog knows they hold the threat of doxxing above the heads of minorities to punish us for speaking.

And if anyone finds that position morally repugnant, all I have to say is tell your legislators to criminalize cyberterrorism. If the law did anything about this bullshit, I wouldn’t be taking the “punch the bully” stance.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

My big complaint against Coyne's determinism is how awkwardly he has to squeeze it into a discussion. And in this instance it really comes across as an ad hoc justification for the more understandable urge to want to someone who did something very bad be punished for it.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Brive1987 wrote:The horde have come out to play on the PZ CNN debacle.

Honestly? I can’t summon a single shit to give. This guy comes from the same sphere of domestic terrorists that routinely dox people for saying such inane things as “women are people.” The only reason they can routinely get away with it is their anonymity.

So fuck it. Blackmail them. Hold that shit over their head loud and proud. Dog knows they hold the threat of doxxing above the heads of minorities to punish us for speaking.

And if anyone finds that position morally repugnant, all I have to say is tell your legislators to criminalize cyberterrorism. If the law did anything about this bullshit, I wouldn’t be taking the “punch the bully” stance.
Oh yes, brilliant.

Let's encourage the Trump administration to crack down on cyberbullies. Fucking no way that could backfire on us.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

:bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The horde have come out to play on the PZ CNN debacle.

Oh yes, brilliant.

Let's encourage the Trump administration to crack down on cyberbullies. Fucking no way that could backfire on us.
You don't understand. They're the GOOD GUYS. Nobody could ever think they're bullies.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:PZ v A teenage internet troll? I'll lay $100 on the teenager
Peez loves getting tough with teenagers. Makes him feel big in his underpants.

You know he's a guy who just seethes and keeps his head down when he passes snickering youngsters on the street. Poor Peez.

http://imgur.com/0hUMk6A.png

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... insinceri/

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

This may seem neither fish nor foul to some - but it still sounds American to me.

Can anyone hear any West Country or Cornwall in the dialect?

[youtube][/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ho-leeee shit, that Sally Jones chick is a fucking monster:

http://imgur.com/N61PqX1.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:PZ v A teenage internet troll? I'll lay $100 on the teenager
Peez loves getting tough with teenagers. Makes him feel big in his underpants.
I see what you did there. :bjarte:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

On Independence Day NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence and received outraged backlash from Trumpies who didn't understand what it was and thought NPR was being seditious.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/n ... rs-outrage

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bolding mine.

Yea, agree with you there - seems he's skirting the line between science and scientism, if not well over it and into the latter. Aneris posted a link to and some criticisms of a public Facebook post about Dr. Michio Kaku [who] has lot to say about physics and free will that I don't think holds a lot of water. My response:
Steersman wrote:Doesn't really look like the good Dr. Kaku is any kind of a flake or charlatan - one might suggest he knows something whereof he speaks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku

But more generally, that "there is currently no explanation how this [free will] is even possible" hardly qualifies as proof that it isn't. Particularly given the history of such bold assertions - did you know that, for instance, Lord Kelvin (William Thomson) argued, in 1900, that "physics was over except for two small clouds on the horizon" which turned out to be quantum theory and the theory of relativity? (The Trouble with Physics; Lee Smolin).

Seems much justification for Kaku's suggestion that we have some limited degree of free will - analogous to degrees of freedom as I've frequently argued - such that we are, in a very limited sense, our own first causes - so to speak. Not entirely implausible as that is entirely consistent with phonons which are "paradigmatic" cases of emergence:

"... whereby larger entities arise through interactions among smaller or simpler entities such that the larger entities exhibit properties the smaller/simpler entities do not exhibit" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence)

You may wish to refresh your memory of Hofstadter's views on the topic (GEB, pg 709):

"My belief is that the explanations of 'emergent' phenomena in our brains - for instance, ideas, hopes, images, analogies, and finally consciousness and free will - are based on a kind of Strange Loop, an interaction between levels in which the top level reaches back down towards the bottom level and influences it, while at the same time being itself determined by the bottom level. In other words, a self-reinforcing 'resonance' [eg phonon] between different levels - quite like the Henkin sentence which, by merely asserting its own provability, actually becomes provable. The self comes into being at the moment it has the power to reflect itself."

Escher:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Escher.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Escher.jpg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:This may seem neither fish nor foul to some - but it still sounds American to me.

Definitely a bit of Cornish in there I reckon .. aaarrrhh

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Hey, any pitizens like the old rock music?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... ebook-post

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

katamari Damassi wrote:On Independence Day NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence and received outraged backlash from Trumpies who didn't understand what it was and thought NPR was being seditious.

In 2017 Idiocracy is a documentary.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:On Independence Day NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence and received outraged backlash from Trumpies who didn't understand what it was and thought NPR was being seditious.

It's odd how I can spend the day getting increasingly mad at people saying dumb things, then come across a story like this with a bunch of people saying even dumber things, and have a good wholesome laugh at it all.

Maybe I implicitly hold these groups to a different standard. I get exasperated when certain people who should know better say absurd things, but I've no better expectations for random conservative Twitter tits. So it's just funny.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

DrokkIt wrote:Hey, any pitizens like the old rock music?

I guess they could hold a separate festival for men at the same time.

In fact when the film Ulysses came out in 1967 - the audiences in NZ were separated by gender:

http://www.censor.org.nz/resources/hist ... 970s/1967/

But I really don't see such segregation catching on in the present day.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sorry for all the T. content Phil.

I guess you should have read the warning - "May contain nuts".

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Bhurzum wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I was too busy looking at her tits while masturbating.
http://www.positivelypowerful.com/Insig ... hifive.png

(make sure you wash your hands first!)
I don't mind if, in the course of things, I end up with some of your jizz on my hands.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote::bjarte:
https://www.chargrilled.co.uk/t-shirts/ ... n_Grey.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ditto! But you'll have to give back your Parsehole award (and that is harder to come by).
Err...that's a clip from Austin Powers!

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Sunder wrote:And over at Hemant's, in another post about FGM, someone mentions circumcision, several other people bitch about people mentioning circumcision, and some bright bulb posts the following:
I'm cut as i'm sure many are. Can confirm that a direct comparison with FMG is offensive and absurd. You really think men would practice something that had a significant detrimental effect on their ability to enjoy sex?
Is the stupid fuck saying that he circumcised himself? And thinks most other men did?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:This may seem neither fish nor foul to some - but it still sounds American to me.

Definitely a bit of Cornish in there I reckon .. aaarrrhh
Yep, I get some Cornish too - a rising nasal sound on some of the terminal syllables.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

[youtube][/youtube]
The only westcountry thing I can detect is the slight tendency to round out i sounds to be oi as per 'loik' or 'whoit'.

Other than that, sounds like rural american to me.

Source: am from the westcountry, with cornish family.

Easy J

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Easy J »

Very cool stuff. Sounds generally British to me. I hear a more British-y way of handling vowels in the east coast accents in general.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
You kill me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 99-h225-nc

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
The idea has appeared in movies going back at least to the 60s.

Unfortunately, Anita has cut short her 'Tropes vs Women' series - so we will never get the in depth analysis that the subject deserves.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:Also, even if determinism is true, "he couldn't have done otherwise" is dumb. Maybe he could have if he had been exposed to different stimuli (if, for example, their parents had punished him for other thing he's done before). Coyne is ready to acknowledge the deterrent effect of prison, surely he can acknowledge the deterrent effect of other forms of punishment.
I think it's the moral posturing of determinists I object to as much as the philosophy: 'It's wrong to punish people for doing wrong because they couldn't help it. But I do think we should punish them as a deterrent to others.'

In other words don't punish someone for what they personally did, punish them for something someone else might do. Oh, fuck off. You could deter someone just as much by punishing the wrong person and just pretending they did it. We have course to determine is someone did it precisely because we all believe that punishment should be inflicted on the guilty, not just some random person, because it's not just about sending a message.

free thoughtpolice

I've heard that the Newfoundland accent is supposed to be very close to the Irish accent of the 17th or 18th century.
[youtube][/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Easy J wrote:
Sunder wrote:And over at Hemant's, in another post about FGM, someone mentions circumcision, several other people bitch about people mentioning circumcision, and some bright bulb posts the following:
Is the stupid fuck saying that he circumcised himself? And thinks most other men did?
It's just more making A/S subservient to feminism by claiming that religion is another one of those ways men oppress women, rather than religion oppressing all its adherents. It gets fucking tiring.

Shit, they might as well be theistic recruiters, because they're pushing the message that if you're a guy, religion is totally a great deal for you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

This seems like a promising development in democracy - perhaps it could be imported to DC?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I don't mind if, in the course of things, I end up with some of your jizz on my hands.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b1c9f774b840 ... o1_500.gif

(Buy me a six-pack and we'll work out the details)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... ab1e7b5c0a

Black female cop murdered by black man in unprovoked execution.

My oppression matrix has borked.

"Weapon fires' weapon stops. Cock, lock, look ..."

:think:

Best to let this one through to the keeper.

free thoughtpolice

Steersman wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
So all Trump supporters post nothing but fake news?
(That is) just Trump supporters posting fake news is not the same as Trump supporters just post fake news.
Having said that Trump and his supporters are more often than not full of shit.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:"Weapon fires' weapon stops. Cock, lock, look ..."
Ah, it warms my crusty old SAA instructor heart to read that...

Are you familiar with the "three point check" (easily remembered by the mnemonic "BBC")? I'm that fucking tragic, I do the "chicken motion" (associated with the three point check) whenever I look into everyday/mundane apertures such as remote control battery housings, my kettle (seriously!), shoes etc.

I think I need help... :bjarte:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

screwtape said
Sunscreen down a coal mine. I am so ashamed.
Got to avoid those radium burns.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:"Weapon fires' weapon stops. Cock, lock, look ..."
Ah, it warms my crusty old SAA instructor heart to read that...

Are you familiar with the "three point check" (easily remembered by the mnemonic "BBC")? I'm that fucking tragic, I do the "chicken motion" (associated with the three point check) whenever I look into everyday/mundane apertures such as remote control battery housings, my kettle (seriously!), shoes etc.

I think I need help... :bjarte:
Some things can never be forgotten.

"During this lesson you will learn ... "
"At the end of this lesson you will be able to ... "
"During this lesson you have worked well. With more practice you will ... "

"Size, shape, straightness of flight, slider down, tangle free"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Or most important.

"Punch, arch, clear"

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I've heard that the Newfoundland accent is supposed to be very close to the Irish accent of the 17th or 18th century.
[youtube.][/youtube]
Shakespeare was from the Black Country.

So if you want to know how they might of sounded at the time - just imagine all the dialogue as read by Ozzy Osbourne.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

DrokkIt wrote:Hey, any pitizens like the old rock music?

My son is off to Wakenat the end of the month. He has long hair. [/non sequiter]

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Some things can never be forgotten.

"During this lesson you will learn ... "
"At the end of this lesson you will be able to ... "
"During this lesson you have worked well. With more practice you will ... "

"Size, shape, straightness of flight, slider down, tangle free"
Hells horses, I'm in squaddie heaven!

"Continue to look this way for a perfect demonstration" (foot drill)

"Rest, rejoin the class" 120mm gunnery (although I've encountered it elsewhere too)

"Good answer, well presented" (sigs, always done with a "karate chop" point to the student in question)

"I cannot answer that question right now however, I'll endeavour to find out and get back to you best speed" (ITGIS)

The old military "isms" always make me smile.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Or most important.

"Punch, arch, clear"
Just noticed this one - sounds very similar to part of an older 120mm loading drill (Chieftain).

http://www.stress-engineering.uk/wp-con ... breech.jpg

Familiar?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:On a happier note I've finished my genocide module with three high distinctions for the three papers. :dance:

I should put that on my CV.
Whites dun it!