In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Billie from Ockham

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote: My understanding is that these days, most (?) PhD programs are basically free, the student is given a tuition waiver (that Congress wants to tax), and probably a low paying teaching job. Is that true?

Is it true for MD or JD/LLD programs? Are these students given tuition waivers? Do they teach undergrads, or paid (somewhat highly??) for doings rounds and the like once they are experienced enough?

If there is a difference, why?
If brief, you are correct that a PhD (in something like psychology, at least) is "free" as long as you TA or your advisor has a grant. You are also correct that you should expect to go deeper into debt if you aim for a MD, JD, or MBA. The standard "explanation" is that the latter prepare you for a high-paying job, so the debt won't be a problem in the long run. One loophole in this is that advanced degrees for people going into industry (e.g., engineers or even some applied psychologists) are both free and the subsequent job pays very well. One of my previous students walked into a job that paid about twice what I get.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

And there was much rejoicing in Beckyland.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSvrpL2udw

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Guys, don't do that:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingt ... -weakness/

(Kiss a woman, or shove your dick into her, before asking and receiving crystal clear verbal consent.)
There is a comment there that I want to respond to but haven't yet decided on how to do it with my normal good taste.
My husband still asks if I mind if he kisses me, although my answer is always yes, please, now. It is sexy as hell.
I didn't know The Trophy Wife posted online.
Enjoy my reply before it's deleted and I'm banned.

(Gosh, it's fun to be back.)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote: You know you're loading Ape + Lust's gun with some very disturbing ammunition don't you? :?
C'mon, Ape+Lust, give us a Jackson Pollock with corn and nuggets in.

[Evil grin]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well some people have an appetite for disgustin'.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

TheMudbrooker wrote: And there was much rejoicing in Beckyland.....
<vid snipped>
Which forces the question, is it:

pee-nalh-ize

or

penn-al-ize ?

In either case Happy Holidays Mudbrooker - whatever country you are in.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: In either case Happy Holidays Mudbrooker - whatever country you are in.
The Mudbrooker is a Cambodian trapped in the passport of a Lithuanian. Hyr are trans*flag.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Really? wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
dogen wrote: Given his recent troubles with Spoogecannon Carrier, I think The SLAPPy Atheist might be appropriate.
How is the lawsuit going? Is there a synopsis somewhere? I thought that it would done by now, but PZ's YouTube begging suggests otherwise.

(Yeah, my love of drama hasn't changed.)
I don't believe we've heard much recently. The last thing I remember is PZ complaining about having to review some documents a month ago. Zvan recently said they've given the lawyer more money than they've taken in.

May as well re-live the lulz.

Fuck me, but that guy has verbal diarrhoeia. He just cannot shut the fuck up saying the same thing again (and again (and again (and again (and again)))). I can't be bothered to type enough to really convey the scope of his repetition.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

MarcusAu wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote: And there was much rejoicing in Beckyland.....
<vid snipped>

pee-nalh-ize

or

penn-al-ize ?

In either case Happy Holidays Mudbrooker - whatever country you are in.
I was in Djibouti but that really guy moved in and the neighborhood went to hell.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Lsuoma wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am
Reviewing the flags that people chosen, I have a suspicion that some folks are actually not being honest about their locations, so I'm going to start restricting the choice available. If your flag goes away, choose another.
No - don't remove the Australian flag!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Lsuoma wrote: Reviewing the flags that people chosen, I have a suspicion that some folks are actually not being honest about their locations, so I'm going to start restricting the choice available. If your flag goes away, choose another.
I am actually living in Palau, these days!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If anyone is thinking of moving - the Pacific is something you might like to consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___lTKpFBrY

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Keating wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Reviewing the flags that people chosen, I have a suspicion that some folks are actually not being honest about their locations, so I'm going to start restricting the choice available. If your flag goes away, choose another.
No - don't remove the Australian flag!
I agree - don't remove it completely - just take two stars off it.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote: ↑
My understanding is that these days, most (?) PhD programs are basically free, the student is given a tuition waiver (that Congress wants to tax), and probably a low paying teaching job. Is that true?

Is it true for MD or JD/LLD programs? Are these students given tuition waivers? Do they teach undergrads, or paid (somewhat highly??) for doings rounds and the like once they are experienced enough?

If there is a difference, why?
If brief, you are correct that a PhD (in something like psychology, at least) is "free" as long as you TA or your advisor has a grant. You are also correct that you should expect to go deeper into debt if you aim for a MD, JD, or MBA. The standard "explanation" is that the latter prepare you for a high-paying job, so the debt won't be a problem in the long run. One loophole in this is that advanced degrees for people going into industry (e.g., engineers or even some applied psychologists) are both free and the subsequent job pays very well. One of my previous students walked into a job that paid about twice what I get.
So basically when Mackenzie Crapapple the botanist complains how unfair it is that fees to five, 5 - 10 year taxpayer paid for room and board and tuition graduate degree costs $700 for people of low income, well she is right, but she leaves OUT how unfair it is to the wage slaves picking up the tab for her, that's a bit of privilege that should be checked, a bit of low income, income appropriation that should be checked, a huge amount of erasure of low income families that needs to be checked.

At what point does grad school become the new college education, and admission to a taxpayer paid grad program become a right (regardless of grades.)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: PZ,has a sad sack video up on YouTube. It's so pathetic it has to be seen and heard to be believed.

He spends the first half explaining how he is not on the platform for money, not like those rascally evil-atheists.

He spends the second half begging for cash to fund his legal woes and to offset going on half pay next year while on sabbatical.
He's also on youtube to counter the moral depravity of all those other evil youtube atheists. :roll: Thank God for giving us PZ, whose moral purity will wash away our sins, that the Internet might be saved.

*snip*
This is actually very true: he describes YouTube commenters and content as "wretched".

Honestly, he's a fucking Calvinist at heart, he'll never be able to rid himself of horsehair shirts and anger-wanks about the inherent degeneracy he sees everywhere in this fallen world.

Billie from Ockham

Well, what she really left out was how most programs waive the application fee for poor people....

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
dogen wrote: Given his recent troubles with Spoogecannon Carrier, I think The SLAPPy Atheist might be appropriate.
How is the lawsuit going? Is there a synopsis somewhere? I thought that it would done by now, but PZ's YouTube begging suggests otherwise.

(Yeah, my love of drama hasn't changed.)
I don't believe we've heard much recently. The last thing I remember is PZ complaining about having to review some documents a month ago. Zvan recently said they've given the lawyer more money than they've taken in.

May as well re-live the lulz.

http.://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvj1eLdYqI
From PZ's e-beg post of today:

http://i.imgur.com/tS0h61F.jpg

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Talking of prodigal posters, I wonder whatever happened to Blue Shift Rhino - and having just looked at the member list (What? Your member never develops a list?) I don't see his name at all. He must have petitioned the FT to delete his account, and I hope it was because he didn't want to be identified as Elevator Guy.

And, for one further thought, could it be that Elevator Guy was so pissed he has no memory of what happened before he stumbled back to his room? That he has spent the intervening years with happy memories of the sober parts of the conference in Dublin, and no memory whatsoever of being the cause of one or two schisms? That the major sexual event in Beckybooze's lifetime is forever sealed beyond the event horizon of someone's blackout-hole?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:
They are supposed to actually reflect our location/nationality?

But Lsuoma, you haven't tasted my meatballs yet!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote: From PZ's e-beg post of today:

It still boggles me it's wankstick Carrier and not Shermer who is trying to visit million dollar vengeance on the Baboons. Crazy world.

Here is Peez suggesting Carrier should be an atheist Horseman:

https://imgur.com/DPbtNPH.png

John D

Post by John D »

Haha... that fucking racist Smiley on the outs! I shouldn't cheer when people lose their job over flirting... but... this fucker... well. I'll take it.

Guest_ded16bec

Post by Guest_ded16bec »

Neither of the tweets in that last guest post show for me. It says tweet loading and has the big blue bird. If I click it attempts to do something then it says it is blocked from loading in this way by content security policy.

CaughtUpLockedOut

John D

Post by John D »

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Ape+lust wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: From PZ's e-beg post of today:

It still boggles me it's wankstick Carrier and not Shermer who is trying to visit million dollar vengeance on the Baboons. Crazy world.

Here is Peez suggesting Carrier should be an atheist Horseman:

https://imgur.com/DPbtNPH.png
Shermer decided that stepping on this particular bug would only serve to dirty his shoes.

In Carrier's case Peez and Co. took away everything. He had a fanbase that was majority SJWs and now they all hate him. Guy's got nothing to lose.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Gillibrand is looking for a rope.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Now here is a blog post that assures you males that if you aren't guilty you have nothing to fear about false accusations because women don't do it.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/foxyfolklo ... qus_thread

The sex positive Foxy Folklorist makes this statement:
We know that false accusations are rare. As classicist Donna Zuckerberg points out, they have a long history in the West, and the furor over them is largely based in social status:
As the article in Jezebel shows, the patriarchy has a history of falsely claiming that women make false rape claims. So there.
As I remarked in the comments, even prominent feminist male allies such as PZ Myers don't think women's claims are necessarily true, as he has said he has had a false claim made against him, and is careful not to get into private encounters with them lest he has his life ruined.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Now here is a blog post that assures you males that if you aren't guilty you have nothing to fear about false accusations because women don't do it.

We know that false accusations are rare. As classicist Donna Zuckerberg points out, they have a long history in the West, and the furor over them is largely based in social status:
As the article in Jezebel shows, the patriarchy has a history of falsely claiming that women make false rape claims. So there.
As I remarked in the comments, even prominent feminist male allies such as PZ Myers don't think women's claims are necessarily true, as he has said he has had a false claim made against him, and is careful not to get into private encounters with them lest he has his life ruined.

From PubMed False rape allegations.
Abstract
With the cooperation of the police agency of a small metropolitan community, 45 consecutive, disposed, false rape allegations covering a 9 year period were studied. These false rape allegations constitute 41% the total forcible rape cases (n = 109) reported during this period. These false allegations appear to serve three major functions for the complainants: providing an alibi, seeking revenge, and obtaining sympathy and attention. False rape allegations are not the consequence of a gender-linked aberration, as frequently claimed, but reflect impulsive and desperate efforts to cope with personal and social stress situations.

From the now discredited David Lisak:

False allegations of sexual assualt: an analysis of ten years of reported cases.
One of the most controversial disputes affecting the discourse related to violence against women is the dispute about the frequency of false allegations of sexual assault. In an effort to add clarity to the discourse, published research on false allegations is critiqued, and the results of a new study described. All cases (N = 136) of sexual assault reported to a major Northeastern university over a 10-year period are analyzed to determine the percentage of false allegations. Of the 136 cases of sexual assault reported over the 10-year period, 8 (5.9%) are coded as false allegations. These results, taken in the context of an examination of previous research, indicate that the prevalence of false allegations is between 2% and 10%.
More related papers here

Anyway, apparently Motives for Filing a False Allegation of Rape.
The list of motives by Kanin (1994) is the most cited list of motives to file a false allegation of rape. Kanin posited that complainants file a false allegation out of revenge, to produce an alibi or to get sympathy. A new list of motives is proposed in which gain is the predominant factor. In the proposed list, complainants file a false allegation out of material gain, emotional gain, or a disturbed mental state. The list can be subdivided into eight different categories: material gain, alibi, revenge, sympathy, attention, a disturbed mental state, relabeling, or regret. To test the validity of the list, a sample of 57 proven false allegations were studied at and provided by the National Unit of the Dutch National Police (NU). The complete files were studied to ensure correct classification by the NU and to identify the motives of the complainants. The results support the overall validity of the list. Complainants were primarily motivated by emotional gain. Most false allegations were used to cover up other behavior such as adultery or skipping school. Some complainants, however, reported more than one motive. A large proportion, 20% of complainants, said that they did not know why they filed a false allegation. The results confirm the complexity of motivations for filing false allegations and the difficulties associated with archival studies. In conclusion, the list of Kanin is, based on the current results, valid but insufficient to explain all the different motives of complainants to file a false allegation.
Most of the papers I have seen peg the false rape claims at 40%. I am of the view that the 2% and 90% false rape claims are edge cases at best.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Now here is a blog post that assures you males that if you aren't guilty you have nothing to fear about false accusations because women don't do it.

User "whatever" built on your good point, equating PZ with a guy who calls his wife "mother" and who thinks "cunnilingus" is a dead language they're studying in the Classics department.
I find it interesting that PZ's rule and the Pence rule are very similar.

Out of fear Pence won't dine alone with women he works with and that hurts his coworkers.
Out of fear PZ won't work in the lab when only one female student is in there and that hurts his students.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Bullshit, AndrewV69. I can find Jezebel, Root and Slate articles by feminists that copy pasted the 2-8% number all day long, so that must be the truth.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

We know that false accusations are rare. As classicist Donna Zuckerberg points out, they have a long history in the West, and the furor over them is largely based in social status
She claims false accusations are rare, and as evidence, cites the mythological tale of Phaedra. :doh:
Phaedra’s story, ironically, shows that male terror of false rape allegations is largely unfounded.... In some ways, not much has changed in 2500 years.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

We know that false accusations are rare. As classicist Donna Zuckerberg points out, they have a long history in the West, and the furor over them is largely based in social status
She claims false accusations are rare, and as evidence, cites the mythological tale of Phaedra. :doh:
Phaedra’s story, ironically, shows that male terror of false rape allegations is largely unfounded.... In some ways, not much has changed in 2500 years.
I guess she is very concerned about mothers killing their children because of Medea.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: Bullshit, AndrewV69. I can find Jezebel, Root and Slate articles by feminists that copy pasted the 2-8% number all day long, so that must be the truth.
So can I. So if that is all you read then I would not be surprised about your beliefs in the tooth fairy etc. etc.

However, I prefer to read papers by researchers in allegedly credible journal where I can learn what the sample numbers, methodolgy etc. etc. are. That way you know to descredit people with an agenda like Mary Koss.

Of course if I had actually read the paper that David Lisak dined out on for years I might have been spared believing misleading bullshit too. I blame myself for that one.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: Bullshit, AndrewV69. I can find Jezebel, Root and Slate articles by feminists that copy pasted the 2-8% number all day long, so that must be the truth.
Just to clarify I belatedly realized that was sarcasm. In any event I do not believe that you believe in the toot fairy etc.

I hope I did not trigger you?

Really?

Post by Really? »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Just to clarify I belatedly realized that was sarcasm. In any event I do not believe that you believe in the toot fairy etc.

No, not triggered. I have PTSD from reading retarded arguments. Did you know a Stanford prof sent around a parody song about how that swimmer finger guy deserves to be beaten because that is what our criminal justice system should be?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:

I certainly wouldn't have called that sarcasm. Although I've heard reports that my [distributed] sarcasm detector is on the fritz ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote: Oh yes he is writing a new book. Intersection of atheism and evolution.

Listen to him as he overacts his absent humanity worse than Steersman's forced laughter at a joke he doesn't get ;)
Memes_FacePalm_Lions.jpg
(119.9 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm
rayshul wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 am
rayshul wrote: Here's a primer you might find helpful.

https://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Sarcasm-in-Writing
Why, Rayshul, why? You've been here since Pit Digging Day +3. You KNOW that the Steersbot has a malfunctioning language module...
Every year around Christmas I have a go at recommending he learns this shit. Like I do think that people can learn language and how it works, they just have to... commit to actually trying.
_https://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif
Yea, I know the feeling - with some people it's just about impossible to beat any horse-sense into them ...

Sure seems that a lotta people don't understand that there's frequently a profound and problematic difference between what they understand of what they say and what other people, with some justification, understand by it. Fer instance, recently ran across this Guardian article on Damore from last month which had this lead-in:
[Damore] was fired from Google for arguing that men may be more suited to working in tech than women.
While the article didn't actually say that all men are more suited to working in tech, that seems to be a plausible interpretation, and it seems to be what a rather large cohort of the "feminist" brigade, particularly those at Google, understood by Damore's "Manifesto". But Damore took great pains, to little avail due to the pigheaded ignorance of that cohort, to emphasize that he was merely asserting that there were probably more men who were suited to tech that there were women. Not a totally implausible argument, particularly as it is buttressed by no shortage of factual & credible research. Not to mention the commonly quoted analogy of the differences in heights between the populations of men and women: there are more men above a particular height but that doesn't obviate the fact that some women are taller than many men.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Not being careful with words, and failing to understand their contexts and referrents sure looks like it's the cause of no end of unnecessary grief and animosity.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm
Lsuoma wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 am
rayshul wrote: Here's a primer you might find helpful.

https://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Sarcasm-in-Writing
Why, Rayshul, why? You've been here since Pit Digging Day +3. You KNOW that the Steersbot has a malfunctioning language module...
Every year around Christmas I have a go at recommending he learns this shit. Like I do think that people can learn language and how it works, they just have to... commit to actually trying.
GMAB. Doubt you even bothered to read what I wrote. Expect you're better than that rayshul ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Woot! Hat trick + one ... We now return you to your regular scheduled programming .....

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Declaring “I am part of the problem,” the 47-year-old documentary filmmaker famous for eating a grotesque amount of McDonald’s admitted in a blog post that he was accused of rape in college, settled a sexual harassment lawsuit and has cheated on all of his romantic partners, including both of his wives.
but wait, there's more
Spurlock said that a woman who entered a one-night sexual relationship with him when they were both drunk indirectly accused of him rape. In his post, Spurlock shared what he recalled of the incident.

“We began fooling around, she pushed me off, then we laid in the bed and talked and laughed some more, and then began fooling around again. We took off our clothes. She said she didn’t want to have sex, so we laid together, and talked, and kissed, and laughed, and then we started having sex.”

The woman then began to cry, and he said he stopped and attempted to comfort her.

“I believed she was feeling better,” he wrote. “She believed she was raped.
??
Another moment of sexual impropriety the filmmaker shared is of a sexual harassment suit that he settled approximately eight years ago. A female assistant brought the suit because he often called her “hot pants” or “sex pants” in the office.

After she quit, she threatened to “tell everyone” if he did not pay her.

“Being who I was, it was the last thing I wanted, so of course, I paid,” the filmmaker wrote. “I paid for peace of mind. I paid for her silence and cooperation. Most of all, I paid so I could remain who I was.”
??

his full blog post http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqc244

Really?

Post by Really? »

Morgan should just have come out as poly.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Oh yes he is writing a new book. Intersection of atheism and evolution.

Listen to him as he overacts his absent humanity worse than Steersman's forced laughter at a joke he doesn't get ;)
Memes_FacePalm_Lions.jpg ;-)
Shame. Have I wounded you?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... PezsMFVXGw

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 am
PZ,has a sad sack video up on YouTube. It's so pathetic it has to be seen and heard to be believed.

He spends the first half explaining how he is not on the platform for money, not like those rascally evil-atheists.

He spends the second half begging for cash to fund his legal woes and to offset going on half pay next year while on sabbatical.
I'm struggling to understand how a grown man can have so little shame. Does he need Fluevogs? This is utterly ridiculous.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 am
PZ,has a sad sack video up on YouTube. It's so pathetic it has to be seen and heard to be believed.

I'm struggling to understand how a grown man can have so little shame. Does he need Fluevogs? This is utterly ridiculous.
Sarcasm, amirite? ;-)

But kind of looks like a bit of (over)indulgence in self-flagellation, a predilection of ancient if not particularly venerable provenance.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Memes_FacePalm_Lions.jpg ;-)
Shame. Have I wounded you?

[.img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... PezsMFVXGw[/img]
If I said that I had been cut to the quick then I would be lion to ya ... ;-)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

OK. Let's play with the SocJus rules of "the standard you walk by is the standard you accept". All SJWs who suggests that false accusations of rape are incredibly rare and so not a concern are White Supremacist lynching apologists.
COMMENTS
From 1882 – 1968, an estimated 4,743 men were lynched in the United States, often after an accusation of rape, prompting the NAACP to claim ‘[w]hites started lynching because they felt it was necessary to protect white women’.

We now know that many of these women lied, and men died.

Emmet Till was only 14 years old when he was beaten to death for the crime of ‘whistling at a white woman’. Many years later, Carolyn Brant admitted that she lied, to protect her husband. They went on to profit financially from the boy’s death. Till was hardly alone. A mob of 1500 beat and hung three Black circus workers in Duluth, after a white woman made an apparently false accusation of rape.
Even today a lot of young black man are dis-proportionally represented in campus rape accusations.:
The archetypal image of the campus rapist is a rich, white fraternity athlete. The case of Brock Turner—the freshman swimmer at Stanford University convicted last year of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman after meeting her at a party, but sentenced to only six months in jail—reinforced this. Petula Dvorak, a Washington Post columnist, wrote, “The brilliant smile of a Stanford swimmer with Olympic dreams, the happy privileged face of a white college kid named Brock Turner … This is what a campus sexual predator looks like.”

Amy Ziering, the producer of The Hunting Ground, a 2015 campus-sexual-assault documentary, has said much the same thing. In a radio interview, she asserted that her movie exposed “privileged” well-off white men and challenged “dominant white male power.” But a close viewing of her film reveals a different reality. Her movie tells four main stories that are primarily focused on assault allegations.* In at least three of the cases, the accused is black.

How race plays into the issue of campus sexual assault is almost completely unacknowledged by the government. While the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), which regulates how colleges respond to sexual assault, collects a lot of data on race, it does not require colleges and universities to document the race of the accused and accuser in sexual-assault complaints. An OCR investigator told me last year that people at the agency were aware of race as an issue in Title IX cases, but was concerned that it’s “not more of a concern. No one’s tracking it.”
Since there are no national statistics on how many young men of any given race are the subject of campus-sexual-assault complaints, we are left with anecdotes about men of color being accused and punished. There are many such anecdotes. In 2015, in The New Yorker, Jeannie Suk Gersen, a Harvard Law School professor, wrote that in general, the administrators and faculty members she’d spoken with who “routinely work on sexual-misconduct cases” said that “most of the complaints they see are against minorities.” For two years I have received a daily Google Alert on college sexual assault. It captures only those cases that make it into the news, and is not a comprehensive or statistically valid measure. But it is illuminating. Usually the reports don’t disclose race, but sometimes it is mentioned, and if the accused is named, it’s often possible to determine his race through photo searches or other online information. Black men make up only about 6 percent of college undergraduates. They are vastly overrepresented in the cases I’ve tracked.
So, given this, not only the feminists who downplay false rape accusations as nothing to worry about are implicitly apologists for lynching, they are (again, according to SocJus rules, in which the standards you walk by is the standard you support) setting up the New Jim Crow system in college campuses.

Fucking white feminists. :twatson:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

PZ's sexual assault post/comment from 2010 are revealing in a number of ways. Personally I think it's one of the most lucid things he's ever written on the topic. First, he wasn't afraid of the investigation result. Remember, PZ is always confident of his sterling moral character. He was afraid of the investigation itself!, the notoriety surrounding it.

Second, by 2010 PZ had been at the game of dealing with university students for quite a while. A person doesn't instigate rule systems like that just for the hell of it. He knows in his heart that there is real danger afoot while dealing in a familiar way with students. Having recently scanned that whole post, I know that he was actually responding to another (gay) instructor who had set up similar rules because, for some reason, he thought being gay made him particularly susceptible. I would not be at all surprised to find that there are a set of unwritten rules that almost all instructors follow in anticipation of trouble.

Third, I'm quite certain that no record was made of the accusation. PZ wanted to sweep this shit under the carpet as fast as he could. Remember, the truth is not what he's afraid of; it's the accusation! This is the opposite of a rape culture. It's a culture that stigmatizes anyone called out for a crime. At minimum, it's one tick toward a behavioral pattern that is later used to condemn the accused. Taken to an extreme it results in a system where any accusation, no matter how vague, moves a person incrementally from innocent to guilty. If five anonymous accusations don't do the trick, just hit the guy with three more, or ten. Eventually people will just say "Well, n women can't be lying". They don't even know if there are n women! It might be five greasy political operatives in a smokey room and a partridge in a pear tree.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am
Guys, don't do that:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingt ... -weakness/

(Kiss a woman, or shove your dick into her, before asking and receiving crystal clear verbal consent.)
Facciani thumbed-up the following comment, likely missing the sarcasm:
Billie from Ockham Matt Cavanaugh • 11 hours ago

Oh, dear. You [Cavanaugh] seem to be one of those people who believes that one either has or doesn't have consent. Well, I'm sorry, Matt, but dichotomies are sooo last year. Consent, like everything else, is on a continuum. And the cut-off for whether you had consensual sex is not only subject to change at any time (before or after said sex), but some of us reserve the right to use a higher threshold when judging the behavior of people that we don't like.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am
Lsuoma wrote: Reviewing the flags that people chosen, I have a suspicion that some folks are actually not being honest about their locations, so I'm going to start restricting the choice available. If your flag goes away, choose another.
Add this one, then:

gadsen_flag.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/69/8c/0f/698c ... s-nemo.jpg

I wonder, are they called Scots Guard because they're invisible, like Scots Tape?

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm

pee-nalh-ize

or

penn-al-ize ?
I always look through the stationery while stationary at the station.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

feathers wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm

pee-nalh-ize

or

penn-al-ize ?
I always look through the stationery while stationary at the station.
But do you bear a beer while bare?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Hunt wrote: PZ's sexual assault post/comment from 2010 are revealing in a number of ways. Personally I think it's one of the most lucid things he's ever written on the topic. First, he wasn't afraid of the investigation result. Remember, PZ is always confident of his sterling moral character. He was afraid of the investigation itself!, the notoriety surrounding it.

Second, by 2010 PZ had been at the game of dealing with university students for quite a while. A person doesn't instigate rule systems like that just for the hell of it. He knows in his heart that there is real danger afoot while dealing in a familiar way with students. Having recently scanned that whole post, I know that he was actually responding to another (gay) instructor who had set up similar rules because, for some reason, he thought being gay made him particularly susceptible. I would not be at all surprised to find that there are a set of unwritten rules that almost all instructors follow in anticipation of trouble.

Third, I'm quite certain that no record was made of the accusation. PZ wanted to sweep this shit under the carpet as fast as he could. Remember, the truth is not what he's afraid of; it's the accusation! This is the opposite of a rape culture. It's a culture that stigmatizes anyone called out for a crime. At minimum, it's one tick toward a behavioral pattern that is later used to condemn the accused. Taken to an extreme it results in a system where any accusation, no matter how vague, moves a person incrementally from innocent to guilty. If five anonymous accusations don't do the trick, just hit the guy with three more, or ten. Eventually people will just say "Well, n women can't be lying". They don't even know if there are n women! It might be five greasy political operatives in a smokey room and a partridge in a pear tree.
You mean that they are aware of the possibility of a false accusation, and that the probability of said accusations warrants preemptive measures?

:o

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Shots fired:

"BREAKING=> Rep. Dan Johnson Commits Suicide Amid Sexual Assault Allegations, Leaves Suicide Note on Facebook"

"Kentucky State Representative Dan Johnson, who was under investigation for alleged sexual molestation, committed suicide on Wednesday evening."

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12 ... -facebook/

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 pm
Bullshit, AndrewV69. I can find Jezebel, Root and Slate articles by feminists that copy pasted the 2-8% number all day long, so that must be the truth.
I'm not a statistician, but even the difference between 2% and 8% seems huge; a factor of four! Can't they be a bit more accurate than that?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:
I'm not a statistician, but even the difference between 2% and 8% seems huge; a factor of four! Can't they be a bit more accurate than that?
Does #YesAllMen fit the bill?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

A couple of possible explanations that have occurred to me about the #MeToo phenomenon.

1. A small number of high-profile men have serious allegations made about them. Flooding the media with accusations, both serious and trivial, about high profile men dilutes those original accusations and diverts attention away. Everybody's thinking about what bastards men in general are, rather than what a bastard Harvey Weinstein in particular may be. The Hugo Schwyzer gambit.

2. The "Listen and Believe" campaign has been pushing the idea that accusation is guilt for some time, but doing it one accusation at a time hasn't worked because when that accusation falls apart it damages the campaign. But if you make lots of accusations all at once it becomes practically impossible to investigate them or distinguish between them. The Jimmy Savile gambit.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:
The 2% was pulled out of her arse by Susan Brownmiller. The 8% is the FBI's figure for unfounded accusations. "2-8%" is essentially "somewhere in between a genuine figure and a completely made-up one".

In any case, the point should always be that how often it happens is not the issue, otherwise we shouldn't punish Josef Fritzl because hardly anyone has ever done what he did. False allegations of rape can happen, and can do a great deal of harm when they do, and so the justice system needs to take the possibility into account. Due process is there for a reason, never mind that tyrants and would-be tyrants find it inconvenient.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

feathers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am
Add this one, then:

gadsen_flag.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/69/8c/0f/698c ... s-nemo.jpg

I wonder, are they called Scots Guard because they're invisible, like Scots Tape?
They are a mercenary bunch. I was offered a Scots Guard fabric protector when I bought new carpets.