In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:James Cameron criticizes the (female) director of the Wonder Woman - for creating a movie which objectifies it's main character (also female).

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/a ... rminator-2

At his point - I'm going to need a diagram to keep the sides straight.
From the director of True Lies

Doesn't count. Jamie Lee Curtis is a dude.

feathers

Post by feathers »

SM1957 wrote:Would Hillary have won if she had reminded the Democrats of their traditions, especially in the South?

Perhaps showing them footage from the 1924 Democratic National Convention?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-swQkUECgU0w/ ... 0/Dem2.jpg
They were just together, expressing their intense desire to send a rocket into space. Ahead of their time, as progressives are.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

I'm Genderqueer, you shaming mop tops. Fuck you. Y'all may have long hair, but y'all are typical White Cishet Males :evil: :evil: :x :evil: :evil:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:The Muslims vs. Christians thing is pretty simple. Even if there are tons of Christians who think the Bible is the literal word of god.... all you have to do is read the most important thing Jesus said. Its the "Sermon on the Mount". You find ANYTHING even remotely similar in Islam and I will leave this line of thought.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV
Actually, the quran does have some good stuff in it, most of it is believed to have been written during the early Meccan years when Mo didn't have any political power and was preaching tolerance, presumably so he and his friends would be tolerated.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/q ... /long.html
After he gained power however, the tone changed and a lot of the good stuff was contradicted. According to most orthodox scholars, were there is a contradiction, the latter statement abrogates the earlier one, so to a large degree, especially among fanatics, the good stuff is ignored.
Remember, not all of the New Testicle is Jesus as hippy either. " I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" or his preaching about hell for example.

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
John D wrote:The Muslims vs. Christians thing is pretty simple. Even if there are tons of Christians who think the Bible is the literal word of god.... all you have to do is read the most important thing Jesus said. Its the "Sermon on the Mount". You find ANYTHING even remotely similar in Islam and I will leave this line of thought.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV
Actually, the quran does have some good stuff in it, most of it is believed to have been written during the early Meccan years when Mo didn't have any political power and was preaching tolerance, presumably so he and his friends would be tolerated.
After he gained power however, the tone changed and a lot of the good stuff was contradicted. According to most orthodox scholars, were there is a contradiction, the latter statement abrogates the earlier one, so to a large degree, especially among fanatics, the good stuff is ignored.
Remember, not all of the New Testicle is Jesus as hippy either. " I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" or his preaching about hell for example.
Thanks. Interesting stuff. So the Muslim leaders nixed any of the internal contradictions in the Koran.

John D

Post by John D »

The Smalley talk is pretty good.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jerry's got up one of those pitiable "you damn kids and your 'music'; when I was young Top40 was GOOD" posts.

I don't very often get off my butt and go looking for new bands to listen to because I'm old enough that I've got a pretty good stockpile already, but I know it's out there to be found if I wanted to.

free thoughtpolice

John D wrote:
Thanks. Interesting stuff. So the Muslim leaders nixed any of the internal contradictions in the Koran.
Allah is so powerful he can even change his mind! :drool:
A clear and detailed explanation of abrogation in islam.http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-ji ... n-in-islam

Really?

Post by Really? »

Cnutella wrote:Dave Smalley has been chumming the waters in all sorts of ways. He gave a talk at the Gateway to Reason conference about the atheist movement eating itself.

Stephonknee Zvann, she no like and has lots to say over on The Orbit.

http://archive.is/5ESMl

TL:DR "We were only obeying orders/the fuhrer was like a god."

SPOILER ALERT: It's all about her.
If you want my cooperation in creating a less divisive movement, start with the dissidents. Show me how you actually intend for everyone to be heard and respected and protected from shunning when they demand accountability. Show me how you’re keeping them from being eaten.

Because me? I stand pretty close to the top of these movement hierarchies. If you can’t even stand up for someone like me, there are huge swaths of people you’re leaving behind. And that’s not a community.
If Zvan is near the top, I fear that gravity will eventually cause harm to the people at the bottom.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Actually, the quran does have some good stuff in it, most of it is believed to have been written during the early Meccan years when Mo didn't have any political power and was preaching tolerance, presumably so he and his friends would be tolerated.
The good stuff in the Qu'ran is mostly about charity. Muslims actually are big on charity within the muslim community, at least as a matter of principle. At least in theory people in the muslim community help each other, and as long as you're a "good muslim" the community is almost always on your side and helps you out economically (well, at least if you can shame them into doing it). The religiously tolerant stuff, as you say, is contradicted with a lot of later stuff, and was probably a ploy to be accepted for a while. There's not a lot of it anyway.

And Christianity isn't better, it's just weaker because early Christians had to come to a compromise with Roman emperors to get accepted (hence why the "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar" bit) while Muslims were in charge of an expansionist political, military and religious entity right from the start.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

"Show me you're standing up for the little people. I'm big an important. Stand up for me first. This will prove your commitment to the little people. Somehow."

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure that the 'atheist movement' is really going to bear the weight (so to speak) of Zvan's expectations.

If she wants a community - then she can join her local church - though I suspect even the most saintly masochist would find her insufferable.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SM1957 wrote: What do Zionists believe that make them such terrible people that they must not be allowed on a university campus?
They support the IDF, which is murdering Palestinian babies almost as fast as those bints can pop them out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Kirbmarc wrote: And yes, the British derogatory slang "bint" for "woman" originates from Arabic. It's not clear when it came into fashion, probably in the '50s among British soldiers who had served in the Middle East, but it's not sure.
Wiktionary says late C19th: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bint

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Most utterances from the Steffalump involve some kind of power fantasy. I think that tells you all you need to know.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:If Zvan is near the top, I fear that gravity will eventually cause harm to the people at the bottom.
If self-importance had a critical mass, all we'd have to do to resolve the ISIS situation is to send Carrier and Zvan to Syria on separate flights, coordinated such that they'd meet at the airport at the same time.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: And yes, the British derogatory slang "bint" for "woman" originates from Arabic. It's not clear when it came into fashion, probably in the '50s among British soldiers who had served in the Middle East, but it's not sure.
Wiktionary says late C19th: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bint
So it was likely a gift from the Mad Mahdi's men to old General 'Chinese' Gordon's boys.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

...or maybe not.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Watched Dave Smalley's talk, and while he talks a fair amount of sense, the feeling of being seventeen in the Youth Fellowship group in the basement of Christian Fellowship Church, listening to a 23-year-old talking about how we need to behave so as not to put non-Christians off Christianity, was pretty overwhelming. He's right that people leave movement atheism when it feels too much like going to church, but I don't think he quite knows what he sounds like.

Also, he's very obviously terrified of saying anything that could be perceived as critical of Black Lives Matter. He fails to point out that, as a statement, "black lives matter" is impossible to disagree with, it is terrible as the slogan of a political movement because it's impossible to disagree with as a statement, which makes it perfect for emotional blackmail and false dichotomies - what, you disagree with Black Lives Matter? Are you saying black lives don't matter? - and in fact, it is expressly designed for that purpose. Much like "social justice", Atheism Plus and so on.

He also makes the mistake I used to make when I used to comment at the Guardian. I assumed the feminists who wrote hateful articles were well-meaning and if I could make them understand they were being unfair they would stop it. In fact, as the "Male Tears" memes show, they are fully aware they are being unfair, and they are knowingly, even gleefully exploiting double standards that allow them to be unfair and get away with it. People who play emotional blackmail games are not going to be swayed by this kind of earnest plea to get along, because they know exactly what they're doing, and they'll play victim if they're called on it, like Svan did.

feathers

Post by feathers »

I keep having that association with a Dutch bint(je):

http://coloradocertifiedpotatogrowers.b ... l-copy.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

"Bint" is a lovely word. Lovely, woody sort of word. Binnnnt.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm not sure that the 'atheist movement' is really going to bear the weight (so to speak) of Zvan's expectations.

If she wants a community - then she can join her local church - though I suspect even the most saintly masochist would find her insufferable.
https://imgoat.com/uploads/416a75f4ce/40045.png

John D

Post by John D »

paddybrown wrote:Watched Dave Smalley's talk, and while he talks a fair amount of sense, the feeling of being seventeen in the Youth Fellowship group in the basement of Christian Fellowship Church, listening to a 23-year-old talking about how we need to behave so as not to put non-Christians off Christianity, was pretty overwhelming. He's right that people leave movement atheism when it feels too much like going to church, but I don't think he quite knows what he sounds like.

Also, he's very obviously terrified of saying anything that could be perceived as critical of Black Lives Matter. He fails to point out that, as a statement, "black lives matter" is impossible to disagree with, it is terrible as the slogan of a political movement because it's impossible to disagree with as a statement, which makes it perfect for emotional blackmail and false dichotomies - what, you disagree with Black Lives Matter? Are you saying black lives don't matter? - and in fact, it is expressly designed for that purpose. Much like "social justice", Atheism Plus and so on.

He also makes the mistake I used to make when I used to comment at the Guardian. I assumed the feminists who wrote hateful articles were well-meaning and if I could make them understand they were being unfair they would stop it. In fact, as the "Male Tears" memes show, they are fully aware they are being unfair, and they are knowingly, even gleefully exploiting double standards that allow them to be unfair and get away with it. People who play emotional blackmail games are not going to be swayed by this kind of earnest plea to get along, because they know exactly what they're doing, and they'll play victim if they're called on it, like Svan did.
Yeah... just because Smalley is generally correct, this does not mean it will make any difference. He also naively assumes the best from everyone. When someone says black lives matter, they also infer that whites are the whole problem. This is why I don't usually join groups. They all break down into petty power struggles between alphas (both men and women) and their beta followers. I don't usually expect too much from people and so I am seldom disappointed. Every time I start to really get into a group it blows up in my face and I end up hating everyone in it.

If anyone cares... here is the latest from that neo-Marxist from AHA, Sincere Kirabo. Shits pretty bleak. Punch a Nazi shit in The Humanist. Not surprised... they can suck a bag of dicks. I can hardly believe I used to donate to those fucks.

https://thehumanist.com/commentary/ther ... s-argument

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote:Here you go Steers - new passports for post-menopausal women.

Canadians to be able to use ‘x’ option for gender on passports
Orwell would be impressed. Or would cry.
screwtape wrote:You should change yours in solidarity.
Why? In solidarity with the anti-science and anti-intellectual crowd/mob?

You might check out a couple of Claire Lehmann's posts from several years ago - before she created Quillette - that more or less pertain to things in your bailiwick:
POST-MODERN ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT GENDER HARM WOMEN

Until last year, women in the US had been unwittingly overdosing on sleeping pills for nearly twenty years. ....

It is the year 2014 and women are at risk of harm from easily preventable biomedical errors. How on earth did we get here? ....

Secondly, medical and health researchers, including neuroscientists and psychologists, avoid studying sex differences out of a fear of being labeled “sexist”. One psychologist consistently name-calls neuroscientists publishing work on sex differences, dismissing such work as “neurosexism” and “neurotrash”. Researchers wanting to enjoy controversy free careers understandably avoid the sex differences arena. ....

Post-modern ideas are often presented in a very complicated language. At their heart however, lies an implicit manifesto of questioning socially received “binaries”, dichotomies hitherto thought to be self evident, such as male versus female, normal versus abnormal, or biology versus culture. Post-modernism tells us that these binaries are arbitrary, that gender is fluid for example, and in doing so has helped many men and women who don’t fit into straight-laced ideals of masculinity and femininity explore sex and gender with an open mind. ....
And:
HOW ABOUT SOME EVIDENCE-BASED FEMINISM?

Contemporary, visible feminism doesn’t seem to get science. This is a trend which does nothing to progress women’s issues, in fact it hinders them.

The distrust towards science and scientific methods is most salient in women’s magazines and news-sites which run such headlines as What science gets wrong about female desire or Everything you’ve ever been told about fertility is wrong, offered up by self-identified feminist writers. Such pieces are usually a concoction of glib arguments taken from fake experts (those without adequate training in scientific areas) to promote specific feminist agendas. ....
Indeed. Of maybe some extra interest, the last article includes some comments by Hornbeck, Matt Cavanaugh, and yours truly.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:And Steersman I figured it's only fair to say I stopped reading the moment I saw you were going to start ranting about ova again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Luv it! This is gonna be my new sig.
:lol: :roll: Another handle, if a tenuous one, on immortality .... ;)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote:And Steersman I figured it's only fair to say I stopped reading the moment I saw you were going to start ranting about ova again. If there was anything after that I missed it.
Shorter jet_lagg: "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up." ....

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Looking for the original offending clip.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. Here is Sargon's cut.
https://www.minds.com/archive/view/646793798914945036

Here is one of the original videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IY9iAlNbPE

I can't say that Sargon's cuts are all that amazing given there is just a before & after clip.

free thoughtpolice

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Pretty sure in college I learned "bint" was first used by Sir Thomas Malory in the 15th Century to describe a system of governance.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Cnutella wrote:Dave Smalley has been chumming the waters in all sorts of ways. He gave a talk at the Gateway to Reason conference about the atheist movement eating itself.

http://imgur.com/XVHIO1Y.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Ape+lust wrote:

http://imgur.com/XVHIO1Y.jpg
Aren't you about to be killed by a hurricane. Or is that fake news?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Stabbing in London, stabbing in Brussels, Trump pardons Arpaio.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Lol. Trump using the old political trick of getting rid of awkward stuff during a major news even (the fucking hurricane thingy).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

[.img]http://imgur.com/XVHIO1Y.jpg[/img]
Aren't you about to be killed by a hurricane. Or is that fake news?
I expect he's probably in the clear - old Harvey is as racist as they come and is targeting just blacks: https://twitter.com/brithume/status/901192432041242625
https://twitter.com/dailykos/status/901150363256016898

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Ape+lust wrote:

[.img]http://imgur.com/XVHIO1Y.jpg[/img]
:lol: :clap: Monty Python's The Meaning of Life?

Haven't read all of her post but the tail end sure looks rather remarkably clueless, and un-self-aware:
I didn’t sign up to nod along to any kind of nonsense because certain people aren’t supposed to be accountable. I’m not here to endorse a new priest class. .... I stand pretty close to the top of these movement hierarchies. If you can’t even stand up for someone like me, there are huge swaths of people you’re leaving behind. ...
Bit of a pretentious twat by the look of it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:Stabbing in London, stabbing in Brussels, Trump pardons Arpaio.
But #NothingToDoWithIslam, amirite?

Even if that is the case, and I expect Islam isn't implicated in at least in one case of the three, I really do wonder when we're going to have an honest and society-wide discussion on the manifest fact that Islam is simply incompatible with democracy and human rights.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

deLurch wrote:OK. Here is Sargon's cut.
https://www.minds.com/archive/view/646793798914945036

Here is one of the original videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IY9iAlNbPE

I can't say that Sargon's cuts are all that amazing given there is just a before & after clip.
He fucked up. It's hard for me to understand how he thinks that clip will count as satire when he didn't add any commentary or do anything to transform it. All he did was cut 3 or 4 snippets from her original work and smash them together - there was no commentary added and no material from anywhere else. IANAL, but from what the lawyer in your video was saying, I think he'll be trying to settle this one.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Aren't you about to be killed by a hurricane. Or is that fake news?
Ape+Lust is being prevented from getting to safety because Trump has the border patrol out looking for illegals at check points.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Was Arpaio convicted or criminally charged with anything?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So Lsuoma, are we going to get a favicon for the slymepit, or was my effort too potato?
viewtopic.php?p=436647#p436647

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Aren't you about to be killed by a hurricane. Or is that fake news?
Uh-uh. I live about as far from water as you can get. However, I was supposed to be in Houston right now for medical appointments, but circumstances forced me to postpone a few weeks ago. Now, I'm a rare idiot who actually likes the epic experience of a hurricane, but I certainly don't like being stranded for days at the airport, so I'm happy to not be there.

Barnowl is the one who lives in Houston. I hope she's somewhere dry and safe with her knitwork, and I hope she's gotten her horse(s) to high ground.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
Was Arpaio convicted or criminally charged with anything?
Convicted of criminal contempt for ignoring instructions to stop targeting immigrants (all, not just illegals).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I didn't follow Arpaio's antics. Was he intentionally targeting legal immigrants too? Or were they just getting caught up an overly broad dragnet?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:So Lsuoma, are we going to get a favicon for the slymepit, or was my effort too potato?
Done. Icon prolly a bit too complex.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:I didn't follow Arpaio's antics. Was he intentionally targeting legal immigrants too? Or were they just getting caught up an overly broad dragnet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpai ... t_of_court

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:So Lsuoma, are we going to get a favicon for the slymepit, or was my effort too potato?
The same could be said of my attempt.
https://imgoat.com/uploads/416a75f4ce/40085.png

Clearly Lsuoma is a domain supremest.

free thoughtpolice

Ape+lust wrote:
Uh-uh. I live about as far from water as you can get. However, I was supposed to be in Houston right now for medical appointments, but circumstances forced me to postpone a few weeks ago. Now, I'm a rare idiot who actually likes the epic experience of a hurricane, but I certainly don't like being stranded for days at the airport, so I'm happy to not be there.

Barnowl is the one who lives in Houston. I hope she's somewhere dry and safe with her knitwork, and I hope she's gotten her horse(s) to high ground.
Ditto, good luck to Barnowl. That sounds like a dangerous event.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Someone went on a baseball bat beat-a-thon at the ANU, my alma mater. It's un-Australian. An Australian would have used a cricket bat.

free thoughtpolice

The darkest parts of the internet have hating on Yvette Falarca, a Antifa BAMN by all means necessary heroine.

Guest_14005393

Post by Guest_14005393 »

I haven't followed the Richard Carrier shitshow since the initial ejaculation of legal filings ~9 months ago (motion to dismiss by Peezus).
I am curious if someone could give a brief update; did the lawsuit get thrown out of court? did sticky buy 1m worth of $5 hookers? is the shitshow somehow still happening?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I think both parties are drawing it out because neither party can afford it.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Ape+lust wrote:

Having lived in Houston for 33 years, all I gotta say about Harvey is Worst Hurricane Ever !!! No flooding,n no wind damage, no nothing

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ape+lust wrote:

Still, you should keep an eye out for that hurricane.

(I regret nothing)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:
There's a strange kind of dark turd in my tab, so I suppose all's well.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The darkest parts of the internet have hating on Yvette Falarca, a Antifa BAMN by all means necessary heroine.
[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SYNdRDdPM[/youtube]
5/10 not quite at Sye Ten level.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

The world today summed up in one photo.

http://i.imgur.com/SSYupUP.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

She's not even prepared to write "fuck"! Suppose you've got to give her credit for standing by her principles, not even allowing herself free speech.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:
Someone went on a baseball bat beat-a-thon at the ANU, my alma mater. It's un-Australian. An Australian would have used a cricket bat.
The ABC was very quick to describe the attacker as "Caucasian" .

Very quick indeed.