There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm
When Pinker claims that SJW's create their own antagonists called the Alt Right he is exactly correct. And Marx would agree with him. It's called dialectics. Guess what disco back in the 70's created? People who hated disco. If you tell me the job is not mine even though I am the best qualified because I'm a white male, guess what you just created? Correct. Another person who hates race-gender based hiring and advocates for merit hiring.
Perhaps PZ's biggest gripe, though, is the statement that those alt-righters may very well be intelligent people.
That's not exactly what Pinker said. He said that some intelligent, literate, media savvy people gravitate towards the alt-right because of some weaknesses of our approach to the alt-right. He didn't say that alt-righters as a whole are intelligent, literate people. It's like saying "some intelligent, literate, media savvy person may be recruited by ISIS propaganda", it doesn't mean that ISIS as a whole is made up of intelligent, literate people, or even that the average intelligence of an ISIS recruit is very high.

Myers can't tolerate any form of nuance, you're either with him or against him, you either consider everyone of your enemies to be not just wrong, but completely stupid and/or selfish, or you're working for the enemy. In doing so he often acts in a stupid way himself. For example he wrote that Pinker's talk is not about fighting the alt-right but only about blaming the left, then in the same paragraph he exposed Pinker's tactic to fight the alt-right, namely countering its narrative about some facts.

I think that PZ' biggest gripe is Pinker blaming academia for fucking up its approach to some themes (in a pretty gracious and non-judgmental way, but still). PZ can't stand the idea that he might have reacted in a different, more mature and clever way to people who criticized him. He hates being exposed as a bumbling asshole whose strategies to fight racism and prejudice in general are counterproductive, because this means he's crapped on his former acquaintances and alienate people for no reason.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

PZ has multiple cognitive problems. Foremost is allowing himself to be dishonest to cover his tracks when he fucks up. Whether this is conscious on his part is open to speculation. He's been doing it so long that it might just be reflex at this point. Second is his ego, which disallows him from the possibility of admitting error. What good is a scientist who can't admit error? Less than nothing. Fundamentally PZ is not a skeptic, so it's natural that he would eventually have a falling out with anyone who takes skepticism seriously. He has True Believer tendencies, which is also fatal to science.

Skepticism means you can never actually believe anything 100% Cognitively, it's very taxing. It's far easier to simply BELIEVE. Especially since society favors the true believer mentality. I'm not sure how many here have followed the Jerry Sandusky controversy. Both Coyne and Myers (and others) have posted about it. It's very disturbing to consider that the justice system could have fucked up that badly (and how in hell would something like that ever be undone?) But you know what? It IS possible. history has shown us that it's possible. I'm agnostic on it, but I'm open to reexamining things like that, things that outrage some people merely in their suggestion. People like PZ base their certitude on blind trust in people and systems that he knows are inherently unreliable, and not based on firsthand knowledge. A skeptic can never do that.

So PZ has Multiple Cognitive Disorder (MCD).

He's dishonest.
He's biased.
He's credulous.
He's prideful. He will dissemble to cover his tracks, and apparently doesn't realize how transparent this is, or how much it damages his reputation.
And yes, I seriously doubt he's the sharpest knife in the drawer. What confirms this is: all of the above. Smart people don't act like that.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm
So what does the pit think of Sargon's new 'Liberalist' movement, is he on a worthwhile crusade or is it just Cringe as Mr Metokur has suggested. Here he is fending off a few Alt-Right critics.

At least here in the UK there is certainly room for some kind of centrist pro-brexit, pro-working class movement. However I imagine it's going to amount to a series of live meetups and maybe some mid-tier activism. I can certainly see Jim Metokur's point about stuff like this being inherently embarrassing, but on the other hand Sargon's point about something needing to be done is also valid.

If Dankula goes to prison there is going to be a solid opportunity to unite a lot of people against modern socjus.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

shoutinghorse wrote:
So what does the pit think of Sargon's new 'Liberalist' movement, is he on a worthwhile crusade or is it just Cringe as Mr Metokur has suggested. Here he is fending off a few Alt-Right critics.

This was certainly a very bad start, It literally had me shouting at my computer monitor.

It seems we have a bunch of people who might have read a few books by enlightenment thinkers, but lack a knowledge of basic history of the UK and US, how our political systems came about and how we differ from continental systems. That discussion about rights was as cringey as fuck, and Uzalu is right, liberal democracies have weaknesses which need shoring up. However, I am sure they will get there in the end.

I think sooner or later, there are going to be divisions between the Brits and the Americans, we already have a cobbled together system which is full of compromises and there is no real reason we shouldn't carry on that way. Pragmatism over principles.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

shoutinghorse wrote:

I am not sure who made this argument, but I think it holds.

"If you don't define yourself, your opponents will do it for you."

Sargon comes from the group that was being mockingly labeled "skeptics," enough though many of them did not define themselves as such.

For the most part, using older labels provides much room for misinterpretation. I suspect he could go for "classical liberal" like Dave Rubin. But the meaning of left-right terms vary significantly between the US and Britain. Also Anti-SJW has the problems of both being negative, and stating what they are against. Better to define yourself as a force for something positive. Or else you will constantly be revolving and reacting to said opponent.

Is it cringey? Yes. Is it catchy? No.

Is it better than letting your opponents define you? Absolutely.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am
I think sooner or later, there are going to be divisions between the Brits and the Americans, we already have a cobbled together system which is full of compromises and there is no real reason we shouldn't carry on that way. Pragmatism over principles.
Agreed. It is only a matter of time before we start tying up and hanging the Brits. Might as well take the short cut and start hanging them.

On a more serious note, I hear it often said that US Democrats are far to the right of the British Torries. While that might be loosely correct. The bigger issue is that some positions are flip-flopped between the parties. It would be more accurate to state which positions are opposite or moderated, than to stick to binary interpretations.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

VickyCaramel wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

This was certainly a very bad start, It literally had me shouting at my computer monitor.

It seems we have a bunch of people who might have read a few books by enlightenment thinkers, but lack a knowledge of basic history of the UK and US, how our political systems came about and how we differ from continental systems. That discussion about rights was as cringey as fuck, and Uzalu is right, liberal democracies have weaknesses which need shoring up. However, I am sure they will get there in the end.

People need to recognize Jim is a massive shit-stirrer. It is all he does, and ever has done. He's a drama pump.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am
Agreed. It is only a matter of time before we start tying up and hanging the Brits. Might as well take the short cut and start hanging them.

On a more serious note, I hear it often said that US Democrats are far to the right of the British Torries. While that might be loosely correct. The bigger issue is that some positions are flip-flopped between the parties. It would be more accurate to state which positions are opposite or moderated, than to stick to binary interpretations.
The problems are going to come with policies... for example Nationalizing the railways. In the UK we have experience, we have ended up with a transport system which isn't very good, very expensive and parts of it are heavily subsidized... if the taxpayer is going to fund it, we might as well own it. I take the view that if something is essential for the health, wealth and security of the nation, it should be nationalized, our transport infrastructure falls into this category along with things like the police, fire service, NHS, etc.
Besides, I have been on trains in Europe and that's what I want here.

I think we can be confident that American Liberals may be likely to favour "the market" sorting out railways even if they are in support of regulation. But in the UK support for Nationalization of the railways seems to come from across the political spectrum.

We may well see a split on nationalized healthcare too.

I think we have the same problem on both sides of the pond. The Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Labour are not what they say they are... and the Liberal-Democrats are the furthest thing from liberal or democratic!
As a conservative, I want to conserve our liberal democracy and I think most conservatives would agree with me, yet the Conservative Party is just as likely to react to SJW pressures as the left and we have a feminist Prime Minister... THIS is why a movement like the Liberalists could not only fill a hole, but be just as likely to draw support from the right as it to rescue the centre-left. It is probably more likely as people on the right don't tend to support political parties as if they are football teams.

I am not expecting Sargon to form a political party, but if he can start a movement, hopefully a new or existing party will decide to tap into it. At the very least, a movement can could promote cultural ideas such as "Sticks and Stones may break my bones". We might even be able to promote some Modernist, Hedonistic ideas from the early 1960s which stressed self reliance, individualism, ambition, authenticity, "work hard, play hard", and yet was incredibly liberal and internationalist while being Nationalist.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Sulman wrote: People need to recognize Jim is a massive shit-stirrer. It is all he does, and ever has done. He's a drama pump.
So far we are seeing lots of agreement. This might not be such a bad idea after all.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sulman wrote: People need to recognize Jim is a massive shit-stirrer. It is all he does, and ever has done. He's a drama pump.
So far we are seeing lots of agreement. This might not be such a bad idea after all.
Jim/Metokur himself has admitted this many times on livestreams. He’s in it for the yuks and the banter.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Pizzy sticks his foot in his beccy’licker and Trump allegedly calls third world shit holes, shitholes... this is shaping up to be an amusing weekend.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Speaking of Youtube drama and lulz-mining, has anyone seen/heard anything from SyeTenAtheist recently? I'm worried about the guy, he's been kicking the goatfucker-nest for a while now and we all know how they respond to that... :cry:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bhurzum wrote: Speaking of Youtube drama and lulz-mining, has anyone seen/heard anything from SyeTenAtheist recently? I'm worried about the guy, he's been kicking the goatfucker-nest for a while now and we all know how they respond to that... :cry:
Funnily enough I was thinking about him the other day along the same lines that I haven't seen anything from him in a while, a quick check on his twatter shows no activity since Nov and no YT vids since Aug.
He hasn't been shut down from what I can tell, I certainly hope all is well, his is one of the funniest satirical accounts on Social Media IMO.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote: It was always obvious that all Trump was ever going to do was change a few laws (if he could), most of which would be aimed at boosting the economy, which is what he has done.
Of what boost to the economy do you speak, and which specific laws has trump changed to effect that?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 am
PZ has multiple cognitive problems. Foremost is allowing himself to be dishonest to cover his tracks when he fucks up. Whether this is conscious on his part is open to speculation. He's been doing it so long that it might just be reflex at this point. Second is his ego, which disallows him from the possibility of admitting error. What good is a scientist who can't admit error? Less than nothing. Fundamentally PZ is not a skeptic, so it's natural that he would eventually have a falling out with anyone who takes skepticism seriously. He has True Believer tendencies, which is also fatal to science.

Skepticism means you can never actually believe anything 100% Cognitively, it's very taxing. It's far easier to simply BELIEVE. Especially since society favors the true believer mentality. I'm not sure how many here have followed the Jerry Sandusky controversy. Both Coyne and Myers (and others) have posted about it. It's very disturbing to consider that the justice system could have fucked up that badly (and how in hell would something like that ever be undone?) But you know what? It IS possible. history has shown us that it's possible. I'm agnostic on it, but I'm open to reexamining things like that, things that outrage some people merely in their suggestion. People like PZ base their certitude on blind trust in people and systems that he knows are inherently unreliable, and not based on firsthand knowledge. A skeptic can never do that.

So PZ has Multiple Cognitive Disorder (MCD).

He's dishonest.
He's biased.
He's credulous.
He's prideful. He will dissemble to cover his tracks, and apparently doesn't realize how transparent this is, or how much it damages his reputation.
And yes, I seriously doubt he's the sharpest knife in the drawer. What confirms this is: all of the above. Smart people don't act like that.
I found this in my copy of the DSM-ipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

PZ's claim, that leftists don't reject unpleasant facts like the rate of crime committed by blacks, is thoroughly undermined by the moronic comments in this FB thread:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: PZ's claim, that leftists don't reject unpleasant facts like the rate of crime committed by blacks, is thoroughly undermined by the moronic comments in this FB thread:

From your description I actually expected a lot worse. Most people who are commenting aren't saying that saying that rates of crime are different between social groups is racist, they're just pointing out that to attribute the differential rates to biological factors is to mistake correlation with causation (which is Pinker's argument, after all: differential rates of poverty/social issues between social groups cause differential rates of crime).

There are a few people with some loony ideas but I haven't seen a lot of them. I think that the biggest problems with the US left are within colleges and groups of social media activists who think that shouting down Charles Murray or saying to all white people, no matter their income, that they're "privileged" are good ideas.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I don't think that the thread is representative of the SocJus, though, there are people posting Thunderfoot's video on differential rates of commission of crimes between social groups. :bjarte:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Bhurzum wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 am
Speaking of Youtube drama and lulz-mining, has anyone seen/heard anything from SyeTenAtheist recently? I'm worried about the guy, he's been kicking the goatfucker-nest for a while now and we all know how they respond to that... :cry:
If the Brit Police pulled a CountDankula on him, he might not cry for help. Otherwise if his name got out the goat fuckers might make a run for him, or even his wife & children.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: PZ's claim, that leftists don't reject unpleasant facts like the rate of crime committed by blacks, is thoroughly undermined by the moronic comments in this FB thread:

From your description I actually expected a lot worse. Most people who are commenting aren't saying that saying that rates of crime are different between social groups is racist, they're just pointing out that to attribute the differential rates to biological factors is to mistake correlation with causation (which is Pinker's argument, after all: differential rates of poverty/social issues between social groups cause differential rates of crime).

There are a few people with some loony ideas but I haven't seen a lot of them. I think that the biggest problems with the US left are within colleges and groups of social media activists who think that shouting down Charles Murray or saying to all white people, no matter their income, that they're "privileged" are good ideas.
Bolded is the problem -- the statement of fact says nothing about causation. The knee-jerk reaction to immediately provide excuses for black crime is YA example of the bigotry of low expectations.

Further, the argument that poverty is the prime motivation behind black crime is merely a specious assumption. Nobody is starving; nobody is freezing on the streets. The Dickensian Aspect* is lacking. The poverty is relative, and nothing like the abject poverty found in much of the shithole countries around the world.

Ingrained lawlessness within black urban culture is a more likely cause.

* h/t The Wire

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: PZ's claim, that leftists don't reject unpleasant facts like the rate of crime committed by blacks, is thoroughly undermined by the moronic comments moron in this FB Pharyngula thread:
https://imgur.com/cIxXFbY.png

https://imgur.com/qmfOReC.png

http://archive.is/cQtSa

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: PZ's claim, that leftists don't reject unpleasant facts like the rate of crime committed by blacks, is thoroughly undermined by the moronic comments moron in this FB Pharyngula thread:

PZ is the poster boy of the SocJus Left. :bjarte: Most of what Pinker says applies to academics like him.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Bolded is the problem -- the statement of fact says nothing about causation. The knee-jerk reaction to immediately provide excuses for black crime is YA example of the bigotry of low expectations.

Further, the argument that poverty is the prime motivation behind black crime is merely a specious assumption. Nobody is starving; nobody is freezing on the streets. The Dickensian Aspect* is lacking. The poverty is relative, and nothing like the abject poverty found in much of the shithole countries around the world.

Ingrained lawlessness within black urban culture is a more likely cause.

* h/t The Wire
Relative poverty IS a problem, though, with effects on access to healthcare, or to good education, or to family stability, which are proximate causes for self-medication (drug and alcohol abuse) and lack of parental/school control over peer pressure, both of which have effects on crime rates.

It's not necessary to risk freezing to death or starving to be motivated to join a gang or sell drugs or mug strangers. You just need a drug/alcohol habit and/or being "educated on the streets" instead of getting a stable family and/or decent schooling.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

deLurch wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 am
If the Brit Police pulled a CountDankula on him, he might not cry for help. Otherwise if his name got out the goat fuckers might make a run for him, or even his wife & children.
Last I heard him and Steersman were booking a trip to the middle east:

https://confusingmiddle.files.wordpress ... .gif?w=400

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote:

Based on a 6% pregnancy per intercourse, PZ has had sex 50 times in his life. No wonder he's so exhausted he's ready to hang up his spurs and concentrate on helping to raise a Cnut.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

A false alarm was sent out to cellphones and social media in Hawaii telling people that a nuclear attack was incoming and they had 15 minutes to get to shelter, this is not a drill.
No doubt there was much soiled underwear in the Aloha State.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Bhurzum wrote: Speaking of Youtube drama and lulz-mining, has anyone seen/heard anything from SyeTenAtheist recently? I'm worried about the guy, he's been kicking the goatfucker-nest for a while now and we all know how they respond to that... :cry:
He might just be tired. He made 2 1/2 videos a month for years, which is a pretty fearsome production schedule, especially at the quality he maintained.

What's a real pity is his Patreon pledges never came close to what useless lumps like Watson, Wu, Harper, or Quinn are taking in. He would've quit his day job for a mere $2000 a month, but never exceeded a quarter of that. The idiots funding Zoe Quinn are giving $1000s to a trust fund baby who probably uses it for cigarette money.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Based on a 6% pregnancy per intercourse, PZ has had sex 50 times in his life. No wonder he's so exhausted he's ready to hang up his spurs and concentrate on helping to raise a Cnut.
:lol: :lol:

It might be 10 times that, if you count the times he nutted before the missus got her clothes off.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

shoutinghorse wrote:
So what does the pit think of Sargon's new 'Liberalist' movement, is he on a worthwhile crusade or is it just Cringe...
Until now, I have been fully on-board with Sargon. Such as when other pitters would criticize his softball interviews/ but I thought his passive interviewing style gave the guest enough rope to hang themselves... without Sargon having to actively clinch the knot.

I also thought Sargon's emphasis on Classical Liberal intellectual traditions were the correct kernel to be defending-- rather-than 'Western Culture' or 'The White Race'.

But this Liberalist move has evicted me from Sargon's bandwagon.

I would compare it to a colonial-american town meeting, where all the villagers had read John Locke & Thomas Paine... and were proposing rebellion from England.... & discussing what might come-after. Sargon stands up & declares himself the heir of Locke & Paine. Ok, fine. But he then declares his faction the ONLY true heir of Locke & Paine. Only his 'federalist'/'hamiltonian' version is valid. The less-statist 'jeffersonian' types are summarily discarded. To say nothing of the full-on AnCap mountain men whose vision for what to do after driving-out the British crown-- is to head for the hills & trap furs off-the-grid with no state-monopoly on government.

Sargon's flavor of Classical Liberal may indeed be more viable or preferable than the jeffersonian small-govt minarchists... or the full-blown AnCaps... but those other options are not in contradiction with Classical Liberal values. Yet Sargon immediately draws the line-- declaring them outside his movement. Refusing to engage with their analysis, such as 'Taxation is Theft' or the Non-Agression Principle.

I'm not sure how well the AnCap label fits me. But I see room for me inside their ideal future. Sargon sez there's no room for me in his movement.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Ingrained lawlessness within black urban culture is a more likely cause.

* h/t The Wire
Relative poverty IS a problem, though, with effects on access to healthcare, or to good education, or to family stability, which are proximate causes for self-medication (drug and alcohol abuse) and lack of parental/school control over peer pressure, both of which have effects on crime rates.

It's not necessary to risk freezing to death or starving to be motivated to join a gang or sell drugs or mug strangers. You just need a drug/alcohol habit and/or being "educated on the streets" instead of getting a stable family and/or decent schooling.
Nobody's stealing loaves of bread or antibiotics. Government subsidies like WiC and Medicare are available to those under the poverty line. (It's the s.g. "working poor" who get left out.) There is simply no evidence to support the assertion that poverty is a proximate cause of crime among blacks, especially not murder.

Alcohol abuse is one of the few areas not disproportionately found among blacks.

Drug use inevitably leads to crime among any demographic. (NB: legalizing drugs will not change this.)

Gangs are a huge factor. Gangs are cultural phenomenon found almost exclusively among blacks and hispanics.

Unemployment is high among urban blacks, but urban blacks are largely unemployable, due to lack of education, lack of skills, patois, and subcultural behaviors at odds with mainstream culture.

You have a subculture where education is not valued, women get pregnant at an early age, drop out of school, continue to get pregnant as single mothers, and struggle to raise a family on a single, low wage income. Where men also drop out of school to either join gangs, work low wage jobs, or simply loaf, and father multiple children with multiple women, rarely domiciling with the mothers to form a stable family unit.

Pumping money into schools or programs or public works is not sufficient. Blaming poverty or slavery or white privilege does nothing. Highlighting the dichotomy between a genetic etiology proposed by a handful of crackpots vs. cultural etiology is but a dodge. Because to solve this problem, the existing black urban subculture would need to be attacked root and branch, and that proposal is anathema to cultural-relativist leftists.

And, because leftists are all fucking retarded, I must note that this is clearly primarily a (sub)cultural problem, not a racial one per se. Nor is it by any means a condemnation of all aspects of black cultural heritage. Because there are blacks outside of the black urban subculture who are thriving in mainstream society, and are not committing crimes at anywhere near those rates.

free thoughtpolice

I had no idea Mike Cernovitch was such a lunatic. Alchemetic magick anyone? :sad-teareye:

free thoughtpolice

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

free thoughtpolice wrote: I had no idea Mike Cernovitch was such a lunatic. Alchemetic magick anyone? :sad-teareye:
From the shit the gold as the saying goes.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Sargon will be better off to just keep doing what he does, make social commentary vids.

This whole trying to start a movement thing has kerfuffle / disaster written all over it.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

free thoughtpolice wrote: A false alarm was sent out to cellphones and social media in Hawaii telling people that a nuclear attack was incoming and they had 15 minutes to get to shelter, this is not a drill.
No doubt there was much soiled underwear in the Aloha State.
You can understand why they killed Captain Cook now if that's how easily they get spooked. :roll:

Guest_3bc53337

Post by Guest_3bc53337 »

At least Sargon's new movement is not called "The Brights".

One of Metokur's points was that Sargon only had a vague definition of Liberalist, one that could apply to (American) conservatives as well as (American) liberals. One of the problems the movement may have is an inability to articulate a clear set of principles.

free thoughtpolice

Chelsea Manning running for office.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... and-339519
The Democrats need more trannies to run if they want to defeat Trumpism.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I'll admit I'm surprised. I wasn't aware that someone who can't legally vote is still allowed to run for office. I guess there's a reason for that.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

To the shock of no one Hemant has nothing to say about Pinker and Peezus, despite it having blown up big enough to merit an op ed in the NYT. He retweeted Jesse Singal's original post, but added no words of his own and seems unlikely to bother with an article.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Chelsea Manning running for office.
Was pleased to see this getting a lot of push back on the gay blogs.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Chelsea Manning running for office.
Manning is trying to primary challenge an incumbent senator. That's really hard to do, and I doubt she wins. Even good candidates don't usually take down incumbents from their own party.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Something I've noticed among SJW haters of EvoPsych: They love to take potshots at pre-agricultural "hunter/gatherer" societies, insisting they were really more like "scavenger/gatherers." I hope they realize they're maligning not merely ancient, long-dead brown people, but lots of modern day out of the way societies of brown people. All because they think it indirectly insults white EP researchers.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Old_ones wrote: Manning is trying to primary challenge an incumbent senator. That's really hard to do, and I doubt she wins. Even good candidates don't usually take down incumbents from their own party.
Wu got a sequel act before her own run even concluded.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Sunder wrote: To the shock of no one Hemant has nothing to say about Pinker and Peezus, despite it having blown up big enough to merit an op ed in the NYT. He retweeted Jesse Singal's original post, but added no words of his own and seems unlikely to bother with an article.
Don't worry. He's got more important things to write about - like about some nameless Southerny Christiany religious leader who has said something silly. You know, the fourth one this week that Hemant has written about......

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Hunt wrote: {snip}

I'm not sure how many here have followed the Jerry Sandusky controversy. Both Coyne and Myers (and others) have posted about it. It's very disturbing to consider that the justice system could have fucked up that badly (and how in hell would something like that ever be undone?)

{snip}
In what way did the justice system fuck up during the Sandusky scandal? My impression is that, as soon as someone (finally) told someone outside of the PSU athletic dept, it was dealt with rather well ... some might even argue that canning Spanier was overkill.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm not sure how many here have followed the Jerry Sandusky controversy. Both Coyne and Myers (and others) have posted about it. It's very disturbing to consider that the justice system could have fucked up that badly (and how in hell would something like that ever be undone?)

{snip}

In what way did the justice system fuck up during the Sandusky scandal? My impression is that, as soon as someone (finally) told someone outside of the PSU athletic dept, it was dealt with rather well ... some might even argue that canning Spanier was overkill.
Sadly, no. This shit was happening back to the seventies and some were reported to the police. With respect to the assaults in the 1990s and later, the accusations went outside of the athletics department and up to Spanier and no one did anything about the anal rape of a little boy in the Penn State facilities. Oh, they gave Sandusky a severance package and access to all facilities. But aside from that, they were totally pissed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_St ... se_scandal

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: It was always obvious that all Trump was ever going to do was change a few laws (if he could), most of which would be aimed at boosting the economy, which is what he has done.
Of what boost to the economy do you speak, and which specific laws has trump changed to effect that?
How about the tax laws? Americans might call them codes or something, we call them laws.
And then there is the very highest form of law, the international treaty. Trump Ripped up the Trans Pacific Partnership... because who wants to be partnered with trans people?

I don't really need to defend Trump, the sky hasn't fallen in and the economy is doing fine.

Billie from Ockham

If Trump gets credit/blame for the tax laws that were just passed, does Trump also get credit/blame for the "nuclear option" being used in the Senate to get Gorsuch on SCOTUS? I get confused sometimes about the different branches of government.

Billie from Ockham

Thanks, Really?, for making me read more about Sandusky. While it doesn't change my opinion that the justice system (outside of PSU) didn't fuck anything up, it made it much more clear why Spanier had to go.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Aziz is next up. And looks guilty as sin.

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

Really?

Post by Really? »

Billie from Ockham wrote: Thanks, Really?, for making me read more about Sandusky. While it doesn't change my opinion that the justice system (outside of PSU) didn't fuck anything up, it made it much more clear why Spanier had to go.
Sadly, I think it is a matter of not enough noise until everything fell down. Shit was known by enough important people, but there was a lack of motivation to stop the raping.

Here's a bonus: the son Sandusky adopted has been diddling kids, too. (Not an excuse, but it's clear Sandusky has been raping boys for decades. I haven't heard any complaints from him like I have with Jared from Subway, who doesn't seem to be taking well to Chomo Lyfe.)

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footb ... ult-021317

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lauren's in South Africa.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Billie from Ockham wrote:

{snip}
Have you read the Skeptic Mag article yet? Bascially a (symapthetic) review of the new Pendergrast book. It gives a better overview than I could.

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/tr ... revisited/

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

re Pinker, I hope someone throws the fact that SJW's - authoritarian lefties - are the reason why so many women do not consider themselves feminists gets thrown in PZ's face. Because 'feminism is the belief that men and women are equal' is just a foot in the door statement to get you onside with Myers and his ilk. Then down the rabbit hole. Turns out 'merit' is fascist, 'hard-work to get ahead' is fascist. Capitalism is fascist. Apparently you must be a critical theory intersectionalist and must always bow down to your superiors, that is the guys in wigs and dresses and purple hair and big black knobby boots and mentally ill retards like Zinnia.

Also, they've made rape and nazi's into joke words. If the Irish guy in the red shirt is a rapist, everyone is a rapist and if you are a nazi if you disagree with anything coming from the commie SJW crazy left then 99% of us are nazi's. Nazi rapists. Everywhere. Love to see that thrown in their faces.

Also, the incoherence of it's mysoginy if a white guy hold a door open for a women, but please do wear a burqua to show support for Muslim women.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

shoutinghorse wrote: Lauren's in South Africa.

Just a matter of time before we see a white farmer with a 'tire necklace' in SA. SA does not stand for Shithole Africa btw. That would be racist.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote: Aziz is next up. And looks guilty as sin.

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355
He chose white wine when she prefers red? Monster.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That Dyatlov book I got. “Journey to ... “

Would not recommend.

The travel bit was more diary entry than analysis. The balance of the book focussed on blobs on photos to prove lights in sky and then two pretty naff third party interviews (quoted in full) with old Russian players to try and hint that the military were involved.

Somehow.

Probably rockets.

Somehow.

The guy is out of his depth as a value adding, publish worthy, specialist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like Amazon is catching the Google flu.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

the first 20 seconds of this vid have been the most unintentionally funny thing to come my way this year.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Brive1987 wrote: That Dyatlov book I got. “Journey to ... “

Would not recommend.

The travel bit was more diary entry than analysis. The balance of the book focussed on blobs on photos to prove lights in sky and then two pretty naff third party interviews (quoted in full) with old Russian players to try and hint that the military were involved.

Somehow.

Probably rockets.

Somehow.

The guy is out of his depth as a value adding, publish worthy, specialist.
I remember somebody on Coast to Coast was on for an hour about a book he wrote on the occurence. Problem for me is, Coast to Coast gave two hours to a 'movie starlet' claiming she had been raped by over 300 reptilian aliens, and gave two hours to a guy who was selling a $500 time travel machine.

People were so into buying the time travel machine that they were sending checks to CtC to send to the time travel guy they were so desperate to buy the TTM. The host told people not to send any money to anyone because the landlord told him the time travel genius skipped out owing major rent money. The CtC audience reaction, the guy disappearing into thin air proved he was a time traveller.