There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

Post by Tigzy »

'He sued The Orbit.'

That just makes me think of somebody putting on a pair of DMs to kick a slug.

Still, I am curious how Carrier is financing all this. If it is indeed the case that he's being supported by one (perhaps more) of his fancy women, along with her cuck husband, then that really has to stick in Myers' craw - that even a petulant, penniless, nebbishy-voiced dwarf hobbit like Carrier has demonstrably greater success with women than Myers could ever dream of.

Wouldn't it be great if it turned out Carrier had fucked Rebecca Watson? Revolting, true, but just imagine what it would do to Myers. He'd probably set fire to the bespectabled, blue-wigged mannequins he keeps hidden in his basement and start eating his own turds.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Was that about deforesting or deflowering?
Easy mistake to make if English is a second language.
The irony was, she'd preserved a thick patch of virgin forest.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tigzy wrote: Wouldn't it be great if it turned out Carrier had fucked Rebecca Watson?
The Skank is only interested in potential meal tickets.
Myers ... 'd probably set fire to the bespectabled, blue-wigged mannequins he keeps hidden in his basement and start eating his own turds.
Why do you assume he's not already engaging in the latter practice?

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote: That doesn't prove the point that I was arguing against which was John D saying that " most psychiatrists are wrong all the time".
Is that a direct quote?... cause if it is then I retract it. It was a typo or something because I do not think most headshrinkers are wrong ALL THE TIME. I don't think they are that bad. Much wore than most professionals... but not almost always wrong. Did I really say that? I mean... they are shitty... many of them.... but they are not complete shit. (I honestly hope that this has not been one big misunderstanding... well...just some stupid fight about the difference between mostly and often... or some such stupidity)

And I still think that anyone claiming to professionally diagnose the president from watching TV should have their licenses removed. I still believe that I said that and I stick with that. YOU'RE FIRED!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'm sure Carrier's legal costs are being underwritten by Amanda 'The Human Cum Rag' Metskas.
Very likely. It's still bitterly ironic to see Myers turn from an atheist/skeptic into a paranoid who sees plots in every corner.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tigzy wrote: Wouldn't it be great if it turned out Carrier had fucked Rebecca Watson?
Myers ... 'd probably set fire to the bespectabled, blue-wigged mannequins he keeps hidden in his basement and start eating his own turds.
Wasn't Svan the coprophage?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 am
Psychiatry is vulnerable to fads just like any other discipline. The implicit attributes test is a biggy at the moment. Nobody wants to just replicate the Stroop test because nobody cares if there's a significant difference between reading words of text are different colours but if you can suggest that it's also a test for racism suddenly you get to go conferences, get cited in journals, etc.
Implicit Bias? That's disputed* within the field of social psychology, but has spread like wildfire among the general public, spread by SJWs.

* inter alia, methodology of the test is crap, at best reveals universal in/out-group bias.
I wrote 'attribution' instead of bias. Thanks for correcting me in bold so I didn't miss it. Next time try CAPS just to be sure.

I don't think Jonathan Haidt is an SJW. He cites the test as evidence when he's discussing liberal bias in academia. It's also used by Paul Rozin and Clarke McCaukey in their work in disgust. But I guess you can keep narrowing the definition of psychologist till it excludes every psychologist who pushes dubious science and ultimately have a purified discipline that never makes mistakes.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Here is an archive link to PZ’s e-beg. He has added a quick exec summary of his POV in the comments.

http://archive.is/lrHMR

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Why is the Pyt getting a hard-on about Peterson? I found the interview boring as fuck.
Indeed.

If anyone cares to watch the following video all the way though I'm sure they will see the error of their ways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDZnSKpnQ8k
7.5 hours? Fuck that.
I skipped to the end. Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly them to Mount Doom in the first place?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well.

It’s Jan 18 in N. America. Not only is that my birthday, it’s also the day FG’s SA video tease promised to deliver.

Riddle me this. Why keep a video public which has as its sole purpose the promotion of something you are not going to deliver?

The only thing that could salvage this mess is if it transpires she combined white genocide war correspondence with a honeymoon. That would be hardcore.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
If I recall correctly, there was a suspicious absence of the dog in the night time during the bout of Shermer accusations. That's some cleaning bill if all the dirty laundry ever gets aired.

With the dog in question not being Indy.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: That doesn't prove the point that I was arguing against which was John D saying that " most psychiatrists are wrong all the time".
Is that a direct quote?... cause if it is then I retract it. It was a typo or something because I do not think most headshrinkers are wrong ALL THE TIME. I don't think they are that bad. Much wore than most professionals... but not almost always wrong. Did I really say that? I mean... they are shitty... many of them.... but they are not complete shit. (I honestly hope that this has not been one big misunderstanding... well...just some stupid fight about the difference between mostly and often... or some such stupidity)

And I still think that anyone claiming to professionally diagnose the president from watching TV should have their licenses removed. I still believe that I said that and I stick with that. YOU'RE FIRED!
The actual quote was:
Actually, I think most headshrinkers are wrong about almost everything they say.
I did get your quote slightly wrong. You said headshrinkers instead of psychiatrists and you did qualify everything with almost. Still, in my opinion, a gross overstatement.
Are they always right about their diagnosis? No, of course not. Neither are medical doctors. Lawyers sometimes make mistakes too. Only automotive engineers get it right all the time. :P
I think they get things right more often than not, in spite of the inherent difficulties and complexities of dealing with mental illness. If you were talking about social psychologists and the racket that is unlicensed therapy than I might agree with your original statement.

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
John D wrote:

The actual quote was:
Actually, I think most headshrinkers are wrong about almost everything they say.
I did get your quote slightly wrong. You said headshrinkers instead of psychiatrists and you did qualify everything with almost. Still, in my opinion, a gross overstatement.
Are they always right about their diagnosis? No, of course not. Neither are medical doctors. Lawyers sometimes make mistakes too. Only automotive engineers get it right all the time. :P
I think they get things right more often than not, in spite of the inherent difficulties and complexities of dealing with mental illness. If you were talking about social psychologists and the racket that is unlicensed therapy than I might agree with your original statement.
Yeah... I was exaggerating some in the original quote..... but not as much as you accused me of. You seem to trust them more than I do, but our disagreement is a matter of degree.

They have some effective models and can help many people. It is quite a crap shoot however. They can do more good than harm... but not always. The idea that anyone would consider a TV diagnoses of Trump is just infuriating to me.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like PZ just added another string to Carrier’s bow.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Why is the Pyt getting a hard-on about Peterson? I found the interview boring as fuck.
Indeed.

If anyone cares to watch the following video all the way though I'm sure they will see the error of their ways...

https://ww.w.youtube.com/watch?v=uDZnSKpnQ8k
7.5 hours? Fuck that.
I skipped to the end. Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly them to Mount Doom in the first place?
Even had they offered, they presented too big a radar profile.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I love the way they feel against my skin

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote: I love the way they feel against my skin

Here you go. You can do one for yourself.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Glad they know how the vikings did it - I assume there was a hairdresser's manual found preserved in mud somewhere?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Those things creep me out - they look like hairy facehuggers from the 'Alien' movies. And not the friendly sort like what was in the 'Predator' films.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Well.

It’s Jan 18 in N. America. Not only is that my birthday, it’s also the day FG’s SA video tease promised to deliver.

Riddle me this. Why keep a video public which has as its sole purpose the promotion of something you are not going to deliver?

The only thing that could salvage this mess is if it transpires she combined white genocide war correspondence with a honeymoon. That would be hardcore.
Happy birthday, you bastard! I'm gonna buy you a present -- Heina Dadabhoy's book is due out any day now.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: Glad they know how the vikings did it - I assume there was a hairdresser's manual found preserved in mud somewhere?
The Vikings learned to braid from all the moslems they peaceably integrated into their society.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote: Looks like PZ just added another string to Carrier’s bow.

I was going to offer to fund Carrier myself but the Jews and the Bilderberg Group got there first.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

:)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

I don't follow this stuff very closely, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are those styles of braids a white nationalist thing now? My daughters and their friends often do elaborate braids, but they would be unaware of any racist signalling that braids would signify. It would be a shame if they had to stop because a bunch of nutters decided it would be a spiffy white nationalist uniform/signal.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Not sure if braids a white nationalist. It's probably a safer bet to go with dreadlocks instead.

free thoughtpolice

Captain FluffyBunny wrote:
I don't follow this stuff very closely, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are those styles of braids a white nationalist thing now? My daughters and their friends often do elaborate braids, but they would be unaware of any racist signalling that braids would signify. It would be a shame if they had to stop because a bunch of nutters decided it would be a spiffy white nationalist uniform/signal.
They are probably just being PC by not appropriating dreads. :drool:

free thoughtpolice

:nin:

Keating

Post by Keating »

That can’t be the 4 women in question anyway. Too many blondes, not enough brunettes.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

I'm sure it's cultural appropriation. White people didn't create anything. Even the ancient Greeks were African. https://squawker.org/culture-wars/kangs/

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I don't follow this stuff very closely, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are those styles of braids a white nationalist thing now? My daughters and their friends often do elaborate braids, but they would be unaware of any racist signalling that braids would signify. It would be a shame if they had to stop because a bunch of nutters decided it would be a spiffy white nationalist uniform/signal.
You don't have to worry about your daughter and her friends until they start taking photos of each other standing in a cornfield.

dogen

Post by dogen »

The Guardian have an unsurprisingly slanted review of Peterson's new book:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... son-review

However, there's strong pushback in the comments, with many references to Peterson's interview with Cathy Newman. This one in particular stood out:
the whole interview:
JP - some mornings I like to start with coffee and toast.
CN - so you're saying men are better than women?
:burn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CN: Jordan Peterson -- thank you for joining us.
JP: My pleasure, Cathy.
CN: Now ravish me, you confident, patriarchal rake!

KenD

Post by KenD »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 am
DrokkIt wrote: Something I'm enjoying in the Peterson/Newman fallout is how everyone on twitter seems to think a strawman is simply the act of mis-characterising an argument.

Newman repeatedly tries to put words in Peterson's mouth, which speaks to her biases, but isn't a strawman in itself. Fun times.

Newmans' case not helped by her boss's "Communications " Head wading in with victim status.
Little or no "abuse , in the comments about Newman, just criticism, and the replies to this tweet agree with me.
Would that qualify as a Strawman?

Criticism is abuse when people are criticising-up against a poor oppressed lady. Of course it's not abusive at all when Peterson gets attacked as a sociopathic alt-right misogynist...

From Newman's behaviour in the interview, to playing the victim afterwards, to her colleague dismissively referring to Peterson as "lobster guy" - their whole reaction just seems so petulant.

Of course this is someone who doesn't exactly set the bar high when it comes to journalistic talent.

I'm more surprised than I should be that even fellow lefty journalists could watch that interview and see it as a victory for Newman, but of course various feminists and progressives like Guardian columnist Zoe Williams thought she did brilliantly.

I'm not Peterson's biggest fan, but it's nice to see anyone challenge feminist ideology in the mainstream media. He does a much better job than a provocateur like Milo when it comes to actually convincing the unconverted.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Peezee wrote:[...]Yet he's burning money on legal expenses as least as fast as a whole group of us combined are.[...]
I'm sure that fathead Meyers looks at Randazza's "discount" bill and would like to think that Carrier is paying out something comparable. But he'd be wrong.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Okay, 'comparable' was a bad word choice. but maybe 10,000 to Meyers' 50k? I'll bet he ghost writes a lot of the drafts.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Cainaji wants you to know that she knows all the backchannel secrets, too:

https://i.imgur.com/9N8S6h5.png

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

As for The Last Jedi reviews, this one is really something. Thirty-five minutes of pretty fine-grained plot review with rapid-fire sarcastic NEGATIVE commentary that holds up high quality throughout, and a lot of low-resolution apparently-bootlegged clips from the film. some lever edits. It might be worth watching with the sound off just for peeks at visuals.
► Show Spoiler

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

As for The Last Jedi reviews, this one is really something. Thirty-five minutes of pretty fine-grained plot review with rapid-fire sarcastic NEGATIVE commentary that holds up high quality throughout, and a lot of low-resolution apparently-bootlegged clips from the film. some lever edits. It might be worth watching with the sound off just for peeks at visuals.
► Show Spoiler

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Is it possible to exile both these topics to the outer darkness?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWhLpSDVAAAo7_m.png

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Is it possible to exile both these topics to the outer darkness?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWhLpSDVAAAo7_m.png
Sigh. I seriously was curious who thought Black Mirror, Season 4, Episode 1, U.S.S. Callister was a bunch of nerd bashing with a retread of ideas first seen in the Outer Limits, ST:TNG and even West World 2017 (which is ironic since WW2017 and the Callister share a major player).

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Oh, and of course the entire show is a reboot of "I have no mouth, and I must Scream".

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

h.ttps://twitter.com/lanalokteff/status/954104114841096193

https.://twitter.com/indiemediaeast/status/954097850161532929
The Nazis liked braids for young girls and buns for adults.

Yulia Tymoshenko popularised the trad-wheatbowl vibe.

I assume the trad-thots are melding Ukrainian peasant with Nazi child for the complete package. Doesn’t have as much traction yet as the “high and tight” does for men.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Would bang <=1940s. Probably not too pointy.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well it’s gone midnight into the 19th and Faith is still MIA.

Almost time to call it.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... eDLh0to8hg

Which leaves the mystery. I now assume Goldy’s mate Lauren picked up the South African pieces/project in good faith but without comment.

A premarital pregnancy followed by nuptials and a breeding badge was a workable narrative. So to was a retirement into Stepford Country. Seems it’s between splitsville+breakdown, shameful infidelity or the bolt from the blue by husband-to-be managed in an inexplicably shit fashion.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This is a very strong argument that America is Great Again.

My eyes have seen the glory ...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Happy belated birthday Brive.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Happy belated birthday Brive.
Thanks (and Matt).

I am counting backwards now.
I didn’t get the promised deliverable.
I’m clearly trapped in a loveless marriage as I haven’t yet received a pass for either Thor or Star Wars.

So your thoughts are treasured.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I'm considering going to Sydney for Peterson's speaking event on March 12th. Anyone interested in doing a Slyme Pit meet up?

Brive1987

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of the

Post by Brive1987 »

What are the logistics - tickets, place, time?

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm
Well.

You are checking the wrong website. Try blacked.com for her South African video release.
-Soylent

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Keating wrote: I'm considering going to Sydney for Peterson's speaking event on March 12th. Anyone interested in doing a Slyme Pit meet up?
Shit kinda yeah maybe. I've been in and out of Sydney twice in the past few weeks and it's not a rough trip.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Doesn't have to be at the Peterson event. I was thinking either earlier in the day on the 12th (a Monday) or sometime on the 13th.

If you want to see Peterson, it's 7pm at the Concourse in Chatswood:
https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/s ... AN18&v=HCN

Tickets are selling very fast, it seems.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Shit that needs me to make some decisions I can't make right now. :/

I'd do Sydney though, it's only about $800 for a round trip and they have Kitchen by Mike in the airport and I FUCKING LOVE KITCHEN BY MIKE.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote: Would bang <=1940s. Probably not too pointy.
seconded

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote: Doesn't have to be at the Peterson event. I was thinking either earlier in the day on the 12th (a Monday) or sometime on the 13th.

Keating wrote: Doesn't have to be at the Peterson event. I was thinking either earlier in the day on the 12th (a Monday) or sometime on the 13th.

some of us have, like, jobs ....

the show wold be sold out if he was doing gender shit rathe than lobsters

im keen but have to check the social diary

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Cainaji wants you to know that she knows all the backchannel secrets, too:

"not only do you know nothing, but we know more"

Well geez, Peez, some people would consider knowing more than nothing to be the bare minimum rather than something to brag about. But I guess in your sordid little bloghole hellscape it's a fucking achievement, an occurrence as rare as a the alignment of the fucking planets.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Sunder wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Cainaji wants you to know that she knows all the backchannel secrets, too:

"not only do you know nothing, but we know more"

Well geez, Peez, some people would consider knowing more than nothing to be the bare minimum rather than something to brag about. But I guess in your sordid little bloghole hellscape it's a fucking achievement, an occurrence as rare as a the alignment of the fucking planets.
Pretty contemptible when you realize that PZ's entire objection is, more or less "We're surprised that person-x has not submitted to realizing the financial helplessness that we were relying on when we had our way with him". Must remind him of old times, pulling the legs off spiders.

Then he has the gall to keep invoking "SLAPP lawsuit". Fuck, SLAPP implies a high power, well-financed client using money to silence free speech, but by his own admission, he considers Carrier too poor to defend himself in court and is mystified by how and why he keeps fighting. Myers is a... well you know.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Non-whites need not apply.
The BBC does not discriminate against non-whites. Some of their best friends are white

https://creativeaccess.org.uk/opportuni ... ournalist/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

SM1957 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 am
Non-whites need not apply.
The BBC does not discriminate against non-whites. Some of their best friends are white

https://creativeaccess.org.uk/opportuni ... ournalist/
I don't really see a problem if they want to fill-in a spot for minorities. Phrasing might have been better.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 am
jet_lagg wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 pm
Obviously anyone who answers yes to these is suffering from mental illness. :bjarte:
No one believes that. If you believe that you are either really misinformed, really clueless or both.
He specifically says people believe that, and that the problem is those people (professionals who ought to know better) routinely conflate screening and diagnosis. If you missed that you lack reading comprehension, or are clueless, or both.

If we could move past the really tiresome snark about one another though, the fact is the replication crisis is widely discussed in psychology and nobody with any credibility denies that. Saying otherwise doesn't make any sense. I'd liken it to climate change denial except it's more like saying climate change isn't even a thing scientists talk about. Your original question to John was whether or not he could give examples of professionals in the field being wrong. Assuming for the sake of argument this wasn't rhetorical and you really wanted examples, Shatterface gave one, I've given another, and the wikipedia article is a primer for anyone who wants to learn about more.

Personally I think people are far too impressed when mental health professionals speak. I was joking about thetans, but I'd honestly give more weight to the opinion of a religious leader than a shrink with a checklist when it comes to saying what is or isn't wrong with the mind of a congregation member.
Did you read when I said:
Firstly, I don't dispute that clinical psychology needs to have more study and that many of the tenets in the practice haven't been solidly proven. It is a relatively young science and it tries to tackle a complex field that is notoriously difficult to test. There are some outliers in the field but there also is careful and rigorous work going, especially compared to social psychology, anthropology, gender studies, etc
Does that statement sound like I deny there is a replication problem in psychology?
When you scoffed at the idea of John being able to list anything psychology gets wrong it certainly suggested you'd never even heard of the replication crisis. If I'm wrong about that then fine. It's still what started this, though you seem to be walking it back now. And it's worse than you say. It's not that many of the tenets haven't been solidly proven. It's that there's good reason to believe a number of accepted ideas might be as wrong as phrenology was. People write gloomily about how the entire field might collapse (this is hyperbole, but it is a common thing to read). It's also well known that the same patients receive multiple contradictory diagnoses from different doctors, so whatever cracks you want to make about me relying on exorcists (which I clearly never said, way to complain about me strawmanning you then engage in the worst of it yourself) falls flat. Every mental health professional I've been to have actually encouraged getting counsel from religious leaders. The point is, I have seen psychiatrists and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if a person clearly needs it, though this has as much to do with them gatekeeping the drugs as anything else.

Anyway, I'm out for the weekend.