There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Old_ones

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Old_ones »

MacGruberKnows wrote: Apparently a poll is out that says the majority of US citizens think Trump is a racist. While watching it being discussed on CNN it struck me that
Trump saying he could not get a fair hearing in front of a Latino judge was him saying that a person of one race/heritage/belief system/ etc. could not get a fair hearing in front of a judge not of his or her race/heritage/belief system/ etc.

But let's just leave it at race. He is then saying that a person not of the dominant race in a country cannot get justice, let's call it social justice, only people of the dominant race in that country can get social justice.

In conclusion, Trump is a SJW.

Prove me wrong bitches.
It's just a garden variety victim complex. It seems like most assholes have them. The fundamentalist Chirstians are big on the victim mentality too. They are being persecuted because people say "happy holidays" and public schools aren't allowed to force kids to pray. Fuck, even the Nazis were professional victims - they had the Jewish conspiracy keeping them down. Heh. If Hitler were rising to power now instead of in the early 30s I bet he would call it "toxic Judaism".

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote: It's just a garden variety victim complex. It seems like most assholes have them. The fundamentalist Chirstians are big on the victim mentality too. They are being persecuted because people say "happy holidays" and public schools aren't allowed to force kids to pray. Fuck, even the Nazis were professional victims - they had the Jewish conspiracy keeping them down. Heh. If Hitler were rising to power now instead of in the early 30s I bet he would call it "toxic Judaism".
Mohammed always felt like a victim, even when he was ordering hits on a poet who made fun of him :bjarte:

Feeling like a victim actually dulls your ability to care about other people's problems, so it's not sure what comes first, being an asshole or having a victim complex. What seems clear is that without a reasonable assessment of the responsibility for a social issue and without a plan about an attempt at a reasonable resolution of said issue even the best intentions aren't enough, and most of the time you end up only with a reason to cast collective blame over a group of people.

People should talk less about "something which must be done NOW" and more about "what can be reasonably done, and how, and when". In other words you need a discussion on some issue BEFORE you can try to look for solutions. Simply feeding into the idea that things are horrible and someone's to blame, without offering any room for a discussion of what exactly is going on and why, is unlikely to lead to good results. Not allowing debate is also unlikely to help.

Keating

Post by Keating »

That’s a real service dog.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I’ll get my coat.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 am
PZ Myers gives a review of Pinker's latest book which he will never read. Fortunately he has seen a quote plucked from it on twitter and is able to discern it is not only an awful book, but Pinker is also a really horrible person.
http://archive.is/VEsRY
James Wilford
1 March 2018 at 8:38 am
I’m sorry but what kind of crap is this? Is this meant to pass for an article or some kind of rational critique of Pinker’s book?
First you declare that you will not read the book, then you pass judgement on it, based on a tweet that someone else wrote about a book you haven’t read. Not even based on the book itself! How do you know the context in which Pinker described the study? You just leap to conclusions based on a second-hand account, then throw in some other irrelevant analogies to give the gullible reader the impression that Pinker’s book is defending unethical practices.
I used to like this blog, but your vendetta against Pinker has crossed the line from pathetic to just plain vindictive. What exactly is your motive?
PZ Myers
1 March 2018 at 8:51 am
Perhaps, Mr Wilford, you can provide the context that excuses that trivializing of the ethical issues in the Tuskegee study. As you & I both noted, I haven’t read the book or even expressed an interest in reading it, so maybe you can share the brilliant context that justifies his statement, and persuade me to change my mind
That's because the tweet was from a female PoC who must be unbedingt believed.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Sunder wrote:
Hunt wrote: He's already preemptively stated that we're all horrible people for looking forward to dancing on his grave when he croaks (even though he's stated his desire to piss on Billy Graham's).
Well then I'll offer Peez some genuine, free advice: Don't have a grave. Get cremated. It's better for the environment and will save your family money.
Also, don't leav it till you are dead. You can't trust your family to follow through on your wishes. Cremate yourself now while you still have a say in the matter.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Perhaps people should get in early and piss on him now.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote: Perhaps people should get in early and piss on him now.
He'd enjoy it too much...

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

The Guardian claims that Africans are less intelligent than white people because they have poor diet and poorer adult literacy.

'Flynn found that the different averages between populations were therefore entirely environmental.'

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/m ... ce-science

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

A bit of snow won't stop us Brits enjoying the weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/5uNAB6W.png

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MWSnap082 2018-03-02, 13_53_14.jpg
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
YouTube last year stopped hiring white and Asian males for technical positions because they didn’t help the world’s largest video site achieve its goals for improving diversity, according to a civil lawsuit filed by a former employee.

The lawsuit, filed by Arne Wilberg, a white male who worked at Google for nine years, including four years as a recruiter at YouTube, alleges the division of Alphabet Inc.’s Google set quotas for hiring minorities. Last spring, YouTube recruiters were allegedly instructed to cancel interviews with applicants who weren’t female, black or Hispanic, and to “purge entirely” the applications of people who didn’t fit those categories, the lawsuit claims.

A Google spokeswoman said the company will vigorously defend itself in the lawsuit. “We have a clear policy to hire candidates based on their merit, not their identity,” she said in a statement. “At the same time, we unapologetically try to find a diverse pool of qualified candidates for open roles, as this helps us hire the best people, improve our culture, and build better products.”
More here:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-hi ... 1519948013

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

InfraRedBucket wrote: MWSnap082 2018-03-02, 13_53_14.jpg
YouTube last year stopped hiring white and Asian males for technical positions because they didn’t help the world’s largest video site achieve its goals for improving diversity, according to a civil lawsuit filed by a former employee.

The lawsuit, filed by Arne Wilberg, a white male who worked at Google for nine years, including four years as a recruiter at YouTube, alleges the division of Alphabet Inc.’s Google set quotas for hiring minorities. Last spring, YouTube recruiters were allegedly instructed to cancel interviews with applicants who weren’t female, black or Hispanic, and to “purge entirely” the applications of people who didn’t fit those categories, the lawsuit claims.

A Google spokeswoman said the company will vigorously defend itself in the lawsuit. “We have a clear policy to hire candidates based on their merit, not their identity,” she said in a statement. “At the same time, we unapologetically try to find a diverse pool of qualified candidates for open roles, as this helps us hire the best people, improve our culture, and build better products.”
More here:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-hi ... 1519948013
Too many Asians, eh?

Boy will they be in trouble when Corbyn gets to power! #changeiscoming

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Apparently that's an old paper by the gay guy who was married to Andrea Dworkin and was her "life partner " for over 30 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stoltenberg

feathers

Post by feathers »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 am
Apparently that's an old paper by the gay guy who was married to Andrea Dworkin and was her "life partner " for over 30 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stoltenberg
Ah yes, the name sounded a bell already. Definitely John 'Issues' Stoltenberg.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Remember folks, black people can't be racist toward whites, just murderous.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

SM1957 wrote: The Guardian claims that Africans are less intelligent than white people because they have poor diet and poorer adult literacy.

'Flynn found that the different averages between populations were therefore entirely environmental.'

I don't know how accurate all the claims in the article are, and the tone is obviously polemic, but the argument that the environment (nutrition, education, etc.) plays a significant role in the developing of intelligence and of differences in results between different social groups seems sound to me, and some of the ideas within the article seem reasonable:
The first claim is that when white Europeans’ Cro-Magnon ancestors arrived on the continent 45,000 years ago, they faced more trying conditions than in Africa. Greater environmental challenges led to the evolution of higher intelligence. Faced with the icy climate of the north, Richard Lynn wrote in 2006, “less intelligent individuals and tribes would have died out, leaving as survivors the more intelligent”.

Set aside for a moment the fact that agriculture, towns and alphabets first emerged in Mesopotamia, a region not known for its cold spells. There is ample scientific evidence of modern intelligence in prehistoric sub-Saharan Africa. In the past 15 years, cave finds along the South African Indian Ocean coastline have shown that, between 70,000 and 100,000 years ago, biologically modern humans were carefully blending paint by mixing ochre with bone-marrow fat and charcoal, fashioning beads for self-adornment, and making fish hooks, arrows and other sophisticated tools, sometimes by heating them to 315C (600F). Those studying the evidence, such as the South African archaeologist Christopher Henshilwood, argue that these were intelligent, creative people – just like us. As he put it: “We’re pushing back the date of symbolic thinking in modern humans – far, far back.”
The theory that cold winters selected for intelligence always seemed pretty flawed to me. Indeed as the article points out Mesopotamia (along with Egypt and China) was one of the first regions where organized city-states and a sedentary, socially stratified and lifestyle appeared. The influence of geography seems relevant, but more in the sense of allowing sedentary cultures to prosper next to sources of water than to weed out the stupids and/or those with a short future history due to cold winters.
A second plank of the race science case goes like this: human bodies continued to evolve, at least until recently – with different groups developing different skin colours, predispositions to certain diseases, and things such as lactose tolerance. So why wouldn’t human brains continue evolving, too?

The problem here is that race scientists are not comparing like with like. Most of these physical changes involve single gene mutations, which can spread throughout a population in a relatively short span of evolutionary time. By contrast, intelligence – even the rather specific version measured by IQ – involves a network of potentially thousands of genes, which probably takes at least 100 millennia to evolve appreciably.
I don't know enough about biology or genetics to be 100% sure that this argument is correct, but it sounds reasonable to me to suppose that intelligence, as a highly polygenetic trait, takes more time to be selected for than skin color or lactose intolerance.
A genuine twin study was launched by the Minneapolis-based psychologist Thomas Bouchard in 1979, and although he was generously backed by the overtly racist Pioneer Fund, his results make interesting reading. He studied identical twins, who have the same genes, but who were separated close to birth. This allowed him to consider the different contributions that environment and biology played in their development. His idea was that if the twins emerged with the same traits despite being raised in different environments, the main explanation would be genetic.

The problem was that most of his identical twins were adopted into the same kinds of middle-class families. So it was hardly surprising that they ended up with similar IQs. In the relatively few cases where twins were adopted into families of different social classes and education levels, there ended up being huge disparities in IQ – in one case a 20-point gap; in another, 29 points, or the difference between “dullness” and “superior intelligence” in the parlance of some IQ classifications. In other words, where the environments differed substantially, nurture seems to have been a far more powerful influence than nature on IQ.
This, if true (I haven't checked, and somewhat irritatingly the article doesn't provide any links), would be a pretty serious blow to the hereditary theory of intelligence.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
SM1957 wrote: The Guardian claims that Africans are less intelligent than white people because they have poor diet and poorer adult literacy.

I don't know how accurate all the claims in the article are, and the tone is obviously polemic, but the argument that the environment (nutrition, education, etc.) plays a significant role in the developing of intelligence and of differences in results between different social groups seems sound to me, and some of the ideas within the article seem reasonable:
The first claim is that when white Europeans’ Cro-Magnon ancestors arrived on the continent 45,000 years ago, they faced more trying conditions than in Africa. Greater environmental challenges led to the evolution of higher intelligence. Faced with the icy climate of the north, Richard Lynn wrote in 2006, “less intelligent individuals and tribes would have died out, leaving as survivors the more intelligent”.

Set aside for a moment the fact that agriculture, towns and alphabets first emerged in Mesopotamia, a region not known for its cold spells. There is ample scientific evidence of modern intelligence in prehistoric sub-Saharan Africa. In the past 15 years, cave finds along the South African Indian Ocean coastline have shown that, between 70,000 and 100,000 years ago, biologically modern humans were carefully blending paint by mixing ochre with bone-marrow fat and charcoal, fashioning beads for self-adornment, and making fish hooks, arrows and other sophisticated tools, sometimes by heating them to 315C (600F). Those studying the evidence, such as the South African archaeologist Christopher Henshilwood, argue that these were intelligent, creative people – just like us. As he put it: “We’re pushing back the date of symbolic thinking in modern humans – far, far back.”
The theory that cold winters selected for intelligence always seemed pretty flawed to me. Indeed as the article points out Mesopotamia (along with Egypt and China) was one of the first regions where organized city-states and a sedentary, socially stratified and lifestyle appeared. The influence of geography seems relevant, but more in the sense of allowing sedentary cultures to prosper next to sources of water than to weed out the stupids and/or those with a short future history due to cold winters.
A second plank of the race science case goes like this: human bodies continued to evolve, at least until recently – with different groups developing different skin colours, predispositions to certain diseases, and things such as lactose tolerance. So why wouldn’t human brains continue evolving, too?

The problem here is that race scientists are not comparing like with like. Most of these physical changes involve single gene mutations, which can spread throughout a population in a relatively short span of evolutionary time. By contrast, intelligence – even the rather specific version measured by IQ – involves a network of potentially thousands of genes, which probably takes at least 100 millennia to evolve appreciably.
I don't know enough about biology or genetics to be 100% sure that this argument is correct, but it sounds reasonable to me to suppose that intelligence, as a highly polygenetic trait, takes more time to be selected for than skin color or lactose intolerance.
A genuine twin study was launched by the Minneapolis-based psychologist Thomas Bouchard in 1979, and although he was generously backed by the overtly racist Pioneer Fund, his results make interesting reading. He studied identical twins, who have the same genes, but who were separated close to birth. This allowed him to consider the different contributions that environment and biology played in their development. His idea was that if the twins emerged with the same traits despite being raised in different environments, the main explanation would be genetic.

The problem was that most of his identical twins were adopted into the same kinds of middle-class families. So it was hardly surprising that they ended up with similar IQs. In the relatively few cases where twins were adopted into families of different social classes and education levels, there ended up being huge disparities in IQ – in one case a 20-point gap; in another, 29 points, or the difference between “dullness” and “superior intelligence” in the parlance of some IQ classifications. In other words, where the environments differed substantially, nurture seems to have been a far more powerful influence than nature on IQ.
This, if true (I haven't checked, and somewhat irritatingly the article doesn't provide any links), would be a pretty serious blow to the hereditary theory of intelligence.
the last paragraph seems to be to be saying that if you take somebody and put them in a poor environment, with no books, no learning culture and poor diet, they will have their intelligence dramatically reduced.

In other words, we should expect a 'huge disparity in IQ' between white people in middle class backgrounds and black children from single parents in urban ghettoes.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ has had other bite at Radford - flush with his Krauss joy. Same bullshit lies.

Let the record show Stollie offered no evidence in his SciAm claims. Her stated narrative was demonstrated to be BS by emails and photos. And she never offered a byte of evidence at any later point before issuing a statement that withdrew her baseless charges.

https://brive1987.weebly.com/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

SM1957 wrote: the last paragraph seems to be to be saying that if you take somebody and put them in a poor environment, with no books, no learning culture and poor diet, they will have their intelligence dramatically reduced.

In other words, we should expect a 'huge disparity in IQ' between white people in middle class backgrounds and black children from single parents in urban ghettoes.
Well, there ARE gaps in IQ and gaps in academic achievements between white and black people in the US, and the factors you specify likely contribute to it. I think it's reasonable to assume that poorer nutrition, lack of good home education, lack of stimuli and probably also lower standards for public education in poor areas are a factor which reduce one's intelligence and educational achievements.

There's nothing racist about this: poor white people in broken families with little in terms of home education or stimuli would equally have lower intelligence and achievements than rick black people in stable families with good home education and plenty of stimuli. I wouldn't be surprised if the children of Barack Obama end up being smarter and doing better in school than the children of a poor white family in Alabama.

For people who are not rabid ideologues with a chip on their shoulders there's nothing controversial in pointing out that gaps between groups exist, what is controversial is attributing those gaps mainly to genetic differences.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Basically this is similar to Pinker's argument about crime, namely that gaps in commission of crimes between different "racial" groups exist, but that their causes aren't genetic.

Of course people like Myers deliberately misunderstand this argument for "providing cover for the alt-right".

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
SM1957 wrote: the last paragraph seems to be to be saying that if you take somebody and put them in a poor environment, with no books, no learning culture and poor diet, they will have their intelligence dramatically reduced.

Well, there ARE gaps in IQ and gaps in academic achievements between white and black people in the US, and the factors you specify likely contribute to it. I think it's reasonable to assume that poorer nutrition, lack of good home education, lack of stimuli and probably also lower standards for public education in poor areas are a factor which reduce one's intelligence and educational achievements.

There's nothing racist about this: poor white people in broken families with little in terms of home education or stimuli would equally have lower intelligence and achievements than rick black people in stable families with good home education and plenty of stimuli. I wouldn't be surprised if the children of Barack Obama end up being smarter and doing better in school than the children of a poor white family in Alabama.

For people who are not rabid ideologues with a chip on their shoulders there's nothing controversial in pointing out that gaps between groups exist, what is controversial is attributing those gaps mainly to genetic differences.
There is nothing at all controversial about this to me. What I find controversial is the claim that equal outcomes are perfectly possible and the fact that black people do not win as many Nobel prizes as white people is due to systemic racism.

The Bell Curve points out that IQ is normally distributed so that a slight change in mean will mean an exponential increase in the numbers above a certain outlier value. So of 19 out of 20 top scientists are white or Japanese or Korean, this is not evidence of racism.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Of course, never one to miss an opportunity to show some more snark the skank weighs in with her tuppenny worth.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: I don't know how accurate all the claims in the article are,
Pretty much every single sentence in that article is wrong.
some of the ideas within the article seem reasonable:

Mesopotamia was settled by the descendants of those Europeans about 38,000 years after. And "evidence of modern intelligence" from 70,000 years ago? Everybody was a sub-saharan africans back then. The argument isn't that blacks don't have "modern intelligence", rather that there are slight but significant differences in the "modern intelligence" among races.

A second plank of the race science case goes like this: human bodies continued to evolve, at least until recently – with different groups developing different skin
Human bodies continue to evolve. All Dutch women now stand at least 2m high. What the fuck's up with that?

No, the polygenic argument is grasping at straws. Rule of thumb: if PZ Myers gives a Skepticon presentation on something, it's almost always definitely wrong.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

shoutinghorse wrote: Of course, never one to miss an opportunity to show some more snark the skank weighs in with her tuppenny worth.

The glob really doesn't grasp the concept of 'making an effort', does she.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Gavin Evans is a former sports writer now lecturing at Birbeck U's Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies. Genetics expert my ass.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

shoutinghorse wrote: Of course, never one to miss an opportunity to show some more snark the skank weighs in with her tuppenny worth.

One of Becky's tardlet followers got Steven Pinker and Daniel Kahneman mixed up and nobody has yet corrected them.

I don't think that crowd is very "into" books.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

SM1957 wrote: There is nothing at all controversial about this to me. What I find controversial is the claim that equal outcomes are perfectly possible and the fact that black people do not win as many Nobel prizes as white people is due to systemic racism.

The Bell Curve points out that IQ is normally distributed so that a slight change in mean will mean an exponential increase in the numbers above a certain outlier value. So of 19 out of 20 top scientists are white or Japanese or Korean, this is not evidence of racism.
It is not evidence of current open racial discrimination, but it might be evidence of the indirect consequences of past racial discrimination. Black people in the US are (on average) poorer and have less strong stable families and access to good education and healthcare. This is because of the consequences of slavery and segregation and discrimination (along with other issues). Blacks who were forced to live in socially isolated neighborhoods with inferior education and less access to institutions ended up not leaving a good future to their children. The cultural drift between whites and blacks (due at least in part to segregation) contributed to the birth of "ghetto culture". Mass incarceration of small-time criminals who had turned to crime due to less economic perspectives led to less stable families and the development of a culture which values "street cred" and belonging to a gang rather than succeeding and building a better future.

The lack of adequate mental and physical healthcare, and of decent educational institutions, exacerbated those problems. Racial discrimination and racialized violence led to a "siege mentality" among inner city blacks, where in-group loyalty is perceived as more important than raising one's position. Lower rates of income and bad education led to poor nutritional habits, passed from generation to generation.

So even after the openly racialized institutions were removed, and segregation was ended, black people in the US were left in dire conditions, and developed as an underclass, with all the bad habits and issues of an underclass.

Poor white people in, say, Alabama have the same issues about unstable families, addiction, lack of interest in getting a better education, a "crab mentality" about punishing those who aren't loyal to the in-group, etc, and this happened only because of income disparity, without the additional factors of discrimination.

What we're seeing is that it wasn't enough to de-segregate and hope for the best to get less inequality between black and white people. Education, healthcare, and cultural reformation were also needed. Instead people in the US simply let the matter drop and celebrated the admittedly impressive successes of exceptional individuals in overcoming structural issues without fixing or at least attempting to fix those issues.

Basically, a color-blind society can still produce racially skewed effects due to the weight of the racialized past.

People interested in Social Justice should be less blinkered by post-modern "deconstruction" bullshit about "microaggressions" or about emotional offense or about the effects of pop culture and more concerned with pointing out income inequality and social issues like lack of good education or good healthcare or the effects of single parenting.

They shouldn't claim that the US of today are a "white supremacist country", but instead clarify that the effects of past racial discrimination still linger on, and more should be done to deal with them by offering better services to poor, socially marginalized people.

They shouldn't try to fight against Halloween costumes, or gush about how Black Panther is a dream society, or debate whether someone is "micro-attacked" by internet trolls, or accuse anyone who doesn't agree with them of racism.

Instead they should make people understand that being a child of a poor family with less access to education, healthcare, and financial and familial stability, drags you down in your attempts to make a honest living, and that insular communities which have less stability and have been more targeted by racial violence in the past have developed distrust for institutions, the glorification of crime or in-group loyalty to counterproductive degrees, and lack of interest in bettering oneself.

They should promote initiatives to win back the trust for education or for civic institutions in marginalized communities, to improve education and healthcare, to fight addiction, to allow people to escape from "welfare traps" and instead promote productivity and gainful employment, etc.

But all of this is hard, requires evidence-based studies, and can't be solved only with Twitter activism. Also it doesn't rely on the po-mo premise that simply by changing language or by acknowledging that a problem exist the problem will fix on its own, and that promoting conspiracy theories is ultimately good because they can be used as a wedge to obtain something.

It's easier to showcase how "Woke" one is through hashtags, twitter dogpiles, outrage machines, and other forms of virtue-signalling and slacktivism.

Also, things HAVE improved for black people in the US, they just need to improve more and in a more systemic way. Barack Obama was elected president TWICE, there is a "black middle class" which is rising above poverty, there are black celebrities, black CEOs, black university teachers, black judges, black politicians. De-segregation HAS been a net good, it's just not been a panacea to all the issues which affect black people in the US.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Amanda Marcotte rehashes Elevatorgate. All the usual suspects appear and the Pit gets a mention.

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/02/for-at ... -too-late/

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Old_ones wrote: It's just a garden variety victim complex. It seems like most assholes have them. The fundamentalist Chirstians are big on the victim mentality too. They are being persecuted because people say "happy holidays" and public schools aren't allowed to force kids to pray. Fuck, even the Nazis were professional victims - they had the Jewish conspiracy keeping them down. Heh. If Hitler were rising to power now instead of in the early 30s I bet he would call it "toxic Judaism".
Mohammed always felt like a victim, even when he was ordering hits on a poet who made fun of him :bjarte:

Feeling like a victim actually dulls your ability to care about other people's problems, so it's not sure what comes first, being an asshole or having a victim complex. What seems clear is that without a reasonable assessment of the responsibility for a social issue and without a plan about an attempt at a reasonable resolution of said issue even the best intentions aren't enough, and most of the time you end up only with a reason to cast collective blame over a group of people.

People should talk less about "something which must be done NOW" and more about "what can be reasonably done, and how, and when". In other words you need a discussion on some issue BEFORE you can try to look for solutions. Simply feeding into the idea that things are horrible and someone's to blame, without offering any room for a discussion of what exactly is going on and why, is unlikely to lead to good results. Not allowing debate is also unlikely to help.
Yeah, I agree. I also think that talk about solutions has to be detailed and address the specifics of the problem, and as free from ideological baggage as possible. This is anathema to most of the SJW plans to end the evils of society. #BLM is a good example of what not to do in this regard. Even if you grant their thesis that the police are getting away with a lot of unjustified killings of black youths, they still don't have any useful policy proposals for dealing with the problem. They seem to think the solution is to natter about racism endlessly until no one is racist anymore. When you try to talk about possible solutions like increased accountability for police, or changes to police training that emphasize de-escalation techniques you get accused of things like "erasing the problem of racism" or being "color blind". The problem is you can't fix systemic problems that lead to racist outcomes unless you identify them and come up with tangible solutions that lead to more equal outcomes. And you can't propose to fix a problem by re-educating everyone into enlightenment. If that could work then the soviet union would be a shining utopia, having succeeded in re-educating the selfishness and corruptibility out of everyone in their country. What actually happened was that Stalin and Lenin imprisoned and mass murdered millions of their own people.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Amanda Marcunt wrote:A massive harassment campaign formed, organized primarily through a forum called the Slymepit, targeting anyone who spoke up against harassment or for feminism with a barrage of online abuse.
"online abuse" links to another Salon turd written by The Skank: I spoke out about sexual harassment among atheists and scientists. Then came the rape threats. Which has nothing to do with the Pit.

Fucking lying evil cunt. I'd comment over there, but they want your facebook or google accounts.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote: Yeah, I agree. I also think that talk about solutions has to be detailed and address the specifics of the problem, and as free from ideological baggage as possible. This is anathema to most of the SJW plans to end the evils of society. #BLM is a good example of what not to do in this regard. Even if you grant their thesis that the police are getting away with a lot of unjustified killings of black youths, they still don't have any useful policy proposals for dealing with the problem. They seem to think the solution is to natter about racism endlessly until no one is racist anymore. When you try to talk about possible solutions like increased accountability for police, or changes to police training that emphasize de-escalation techniques you get accused of things like "erasing the problem of racism" or being "color blind". The problem is you can't fix systemic problems that lead to racist outcomes unless you identify them and come up with tangible solutions that lead to more equal outcomes. And you can't propose to fix a problem by re-educating everyone into enlightenment. If that could work then the soviet union would be a shining utopia, having succeeded in re-educating the selfishness and corruptibility out of everyone in their country. What actually happened was that Stalin and Lenin imprisoned and mass murdered millions of their own people
Also there's absolutely no proposal about "ending racism" beyond accusing everyone who isn't on board with Wokeness of being a racist on social media. There's no attempt to explain to people WHY their beliefs might contain a negative racial bias, or WHY and HOW those beliefs are formed. There's very little in terms of dispelling false assumptions, either. It's all about shouting at people "racist" and to double down when they don't immediately apologize, or don't apologize in a way they like.

This isn't likely to "re-educate" anyone, and it's even counterproductive. The true racists will simply hide their racism publicly, and talk about it in private with people they trust. The people falsely accused of being racist will feel alienated and most likely stop caring about or discussing controversial issues, or even start to see the BLM movement in a negative light.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Protests have a point when they try to convince people that a problem exist and that there's hope for a solution. When they're simply about venting frustrations at someone or something you don't like they're not likely to achieve much.

The Westboro Baptist Church protests were all about shouting how evil the US were for allowing gay marriage, and how God was going to let soldiers burn in hell for that reason. This got the WBC very, very few friends, and a lot of enemies.

Similarly you're not likely to get a lot done if you shout "pig in a blanket, fry like bacon" :bjarte:

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Amanda Marcunt wrote:A massive harassment campaign formed, organized primarily through a forum called the Slymepit, targeting anyone who spoke up against harassment or for feminism with a barrage of online abuse.
"online abuse" links to another Salon turd written by The Skank: I spoke out about sexual harassment among atheists and scientists. Then came the rape threats. Which has nothing to do with the Pit.

Fucking lying evil cunt. I'd comment over there, but they want your facebook or google accounts.
I could be wrong, but it seems like this is the only card left in the SJW hand and they are massively overplaying it. The aftermath of the Cathy Newman "interview" of Jordan Peterson, where they tried to distract from her embarrassing performance by recasting her as a damsel, seemed like a watershed moment to me. People who aren't completely bought into the SJW narrative have to be getting suspicious by now.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I can't imagine just what wonderful advice he she's giving the labour party :doh:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Fat Ed explains low IQ among blacks: it's the lead --

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... l-justice/
Racial minorities are significantly more likely to feel the effects of pollution because their air and water supplies are more likely to be near the plants that produce it. A study conducted by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) scientists found that minority and poorer communities are disproportionately affected by air pollution relative to the overall population.
[....]
We’ve known this for a long time, but no one with any real power ever says or does anything about it. The same is true, and probably to much greater negative impact, with things like lead paint on houses and lead water pipes (poor, minority communities tend to live in older houses and neighborhoods that have this problem, which causes serious degradation of mental faculties and brain development). The tragedy in Flint, Michigan was just the tip of the iceberg. Many inner cities around the country actually have higher lead levels than Flint did.
Except Flint's water supply wasn't exposed to lead until 2014. Before that?
Over the past 4 decades, blood lead concentrations among US children have declined dramatically since the elimination of lead from gasoline, paints, and other consumer products .... From 1976 to 1980, blood lead concentrations among US children declined more sharply than anticipated after the phase-out of leaded gasoline. In 1978, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) restricted the allowable content of lead in residential paint to 0.06% (600 ppm); in 2008, it was lowered to 0.009% (90 ppm).3,4 There have also been significant reductions in tap water lead concentrations since the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgated the Lead and Copper Rule.5,6 Finally, use of lead solder in canned foods and other consumer products was banned. It is difficult to accurately apportion the decline in blood lead concentrations to specific sources, but the combined effect of these regulations clearly led to the dramatic reductions in children’s blood lead concentrations.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e20161493

Now, one could conduct a study to identity & quantify any correlation between lead exposure and racial IQ differences. But why spoil the narrative?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

katamari Damassi wrote: Amanda Marcotte rehashes Elevatorgate. All the usual suspects appear and the Pit gets a mention.

:lol: That is some funny ol shite.
A massive harassment campaign formed, organized primarily through a forum called the Slymepit, targeting anyone who spoke up against harassment or for feminism with a barrage of online abuse.
'Abuse' remains arguable. In any case, it could hardly a barrage, simply because there weren't enough of us.
It was, in many ways, a precursor not just to Gamergate, but to the army of Donald Trump-loving alt-right trolls on social media that followed.
Well, we were Gamergate before it was trendy. That is true. But Trump? Hmmm. Nah. Probably wanna look closer to something like 4chan for that. Except Marcotte won't because she fears alternative views as a more stupid member of the islamic race might fear the Devil's waswasa.
They employed the now-familiar tactics of dogpiling on Twitter
Nope. Didn't happen. The only thing even remotely similar was that the usual array of fuckwits - mostly Hensley, it has to be said - lost their shit over Elevatorgate, who was a) not a member of the Slymepit and b) 'harassed' them by storifying their tweets*. Basically, they played themselves and blamed EG for it - and by extension, the Pit because, y'know, those people are all the same anyway.
creating photoshopped memes to mock their targets
True. Very true. And with the likes of Ape on board, we were - and remain - pretty damn good at it.
doxxing
HAHAHAAA FUCK OFF
ruining people's Google search results to make them unemployable.
Oy Vey. That takes some chutzpah. I say that like a Jew as Manjaw Mandy clearly thinks we have the power of those secret international Rothschild bankers, or something.

In any case, the amusement doesn't begin and end with the Slymepit. For example, I do like this:
"I had something to say. I still do," Dadabhoy said
Well that's a ray of hope for your Kickstarter backers, ain't it Heina. How long has it been overdue now? Five years or thereabouts?

:lol:

*Oh, and calling Melody 'Smellody'.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Fat Ed explains low IQ among blacks: it's the lead --

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... l-justice/
Racial minorities are significantly more likely to feel the effects of pollution because their air and water supplies are more likely to be near the plants that produce it. A study conducted by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) scientists found that minority and poorer communities are disproportionately affected by air pollution relative to the overall population.
[....]
We’ve known this for a long time, but no one with any real power ever says or does anything about it. The same is true, and probably to much greater negative impact, with things like lead paint on houses and lead water pipes (poor, minority communities tend to live in older houses and neighborhoods that have this problem, which causes serious degradation of mental faculties and brain development). The tragedy in Flint, Michigan was just the tip of the iceberg. Many inner cities around the country actually have higher lead levels than Flint did.
Except Flint's water supply wasn't exposed to lead until 2014. Before that?
Over the past 4 decades, blood lead concentrations among US children have declined dramatically since the elimination of lead from gasoline, paints, and other consumer products .... From 1976 to 1980, blood lead concentrations among US children declined more sharply than anticipated after the phase-out of leaded gasoline. In 1978, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) restricted the allowable content of lead in residential paint to 0.06% (600 ppm); in 2008, it was lowered to 0.009% (90 ppm).3,4 There have also been significant reductions in tap water lead concentrations since the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgated the Lead and Copper Rule.5,6 Finally, use of lead solder in canned foods and other consumer products was banned. It is difficult to accurately apportion the decline in blood lead concentrations to specific sources, but the combined effect of these regulations clearly led to the dramatic reductions in children’s blood lead concentrations.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e20161493

Now, one could conduct a study to identity & quantify any correlation between lead exposure and racial IQ differences. But why spoil the narrative?
Flint's water, like all major older cities in Michigan, have relatively high lead levels. The source of the lead are the millions of miles of lead feeder pipes. These are the pipes that attach the main line to the individual house. There is also lead pipe used for some main lines in the system.

Some lead is always mixing with the drinking water as it goes inside homes. Flint became a particular problem when the city switched from water supplied by the Detroit Water Authority to their own treatment plant. The Flint treatment plant had lots of problems with the chemistry of the water. They took water from a river which has high acid variability. The biggest problem was the lack of protective chemicals. These protective chemicals coat the old lead pipe and reduce the lead leeching.

So, Flint had a really big spike in lead that last about a year and a half. There are even criminal prosecutions underway to go after the people who appear to have been negligent in treating the water. But... as a wise man once said... don't assume a conspiracy for a problem when stupidity is also a likely cause. I think there was a mix of stupidity and callousness that caused the problem.

In the wake of Flint, Michigan has been testing the water in the state more thoroughly. And.. guess what..... there is lead in water all over the place that does not meet the Federal standards. The problem is that no one has enough money to replace lead feeder pipes to a half million homes.

Flint will make for a fascinating study. We will be able to do a long term study on the education and success of Flint children over time. I predict that we will see no harmful effects. Flint is getting a bunch of help from the State and charities to help with education. I wouldn't be surprised if Flint kids end up in statistically better shape than other similar cities.

In the mean time.... if you live in an older Michigan city you should put a lead filter on your drinking water tap.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I went to school right next to a motorway and lead didn't do me any harm. I also used to lick lead windows. Fuck off with you lead shit. Lead is one of my five a day.

John D

Post by John D »

Tigzy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Amanda Marcotte rehashes Elevatorgate. All the usual suspects appear and the Pit gets a mention.

Oh Man! Haha! I am laughing so hard I may need to leave my office. Salon.... what a piece of shit. They still accept articles from the likes of Smellody. WTF. Life is so weird. And she talks about the pit like we invented shitposting or something. Wow... haha. Maybe we will get some new members cause we are shitposters extraordinaire! :lol:

John D

Post by John D »

Shatterface wrote: I went to school right next to a motorway and lead didn't do me any harm. I also used to lick lead windows. Fuck off with you lead shit. Lead is one of my five a day.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... like lead babeeeeeee.... bring on the lead.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I hadn't even heard of Watson before I joined the Pit. I came here via Nugent's blog. I thought it was a haven for rapists.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John D wrote:
Shatterface wrote: I went to school right next to a motorway and lead didn't do me any harm. I also used to lick lead windows. Fuck off with you lead shit. Lead is one of my five a day.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... like lead babeeeeeee.... bring on the lead.
Lead is heavy metal. It's gold minus the alchemy.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

In the past I have raised some in depth discussions by sling vital questions like 'Is hypnotism bullshit' and 'is hypnosis bullshit'.

Tonight I'd like to raise the game.

Is Forest Whitaker bullshit?

I mean, the guy is hypnotic. If he's onscreen your entire attention is focused on him. He's never less than entertaining.

But is he bushit?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:10 am

Blacks in America, especially descendants from slavery, have been artificially selected for physical strength and not particularly for their intelligence, from their initial capture in Africa through tens of generations in captivity. I'm pretty certain that contributes to their current state.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Also, in the pub. So above should say 'is meditation bullshit' not just rephrase 'is hypnosis bullshit?' twice.

I've never watched Whitaker fine a performance that I thought was to restrained to ask for a refund. He's never knowingly outperformed. But what he's doing onscreen... is it just bullshit?

John D

Post by John D »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Blacks in America, especially descendants from slavery, have been artificially selected for physical strength and not particularly for their intelligence, from their initial capture in Africa through tens of generations in captivity. I'm pretty certain that contributes to their current state.
Without slavery there would be no NBA. Discuss!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Shatterface wrote: In the past I have raised some in depth discussions by sling vital questions like 'Is hypnotism bullshit' and 'is hypnosis bullshit'.

I mean, the guy is hypnotic. If he's onscreen your entire attention is focused on him. He's never less than entertaining.

But is he bushit?
If no-one sees the bullshit in Forest, does that mean there truly is no bullshit in Forest, young grasshopper?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

John D wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

Oh Man! Haha! I am laughing so hard I may need to leave my office. Salon.... what a piece of shit. They still accept articles from the likes of Smellody. WTF. Life is so weird. And she talks about the pit like we invented shitposting or something. Wow... haha. Maybe we will get some new members cause we are shitposters extraordinaire! :lol:
So Marcotte does a shit piece in Salon and Watson wets her knickers talking to Buzzfeed. Salon & Buzzfeed, does anyone take these two 'News Outlets' seriously?

This bit made me laugh the loudest.
A massive harassment campaign formed, organized primarily through a forum called the Slymepit, targeting anyone who spoke up against harassment or for feminism with a barrage of online abuse. It was, in many ways, a precursor not just to Gamergate, but to the army of Donald Trump-loving alt-right trolls on social media that followed. They employed the now-familiar tactics of dogpiling on Twitter, creating photoshopped memes to mock their targets, doxxing and ruining people's Google search results to make them unemployable.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Another question about the nature of the reality.

Have you found that the universe rewards you for being an asshole?

I've often tried to be good but usually found that the universe rebuts my advaces. On the other hand I've been threatening and sbisive to people and for my way

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

:obscene-drinkingdrunk:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Forest Whitaker IMO is one of the best actors out there, one of his finest performances was in the equally superb (but often overlooked) cop drama 'The Shield'

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 pm
Weren't you a lead engineer?

Thank you, you can hire me for children's parties.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Okay, fuck it. Whatever. You know what I mean. I try to be good but it gets me nowhere.

I trick my line manager into saying something libellous and I get what I want. What's the incentive to being good?

Patience, playing by the rules, whatever, gets me nowhere. Yet I can roll into work 30 minutes every day, I shout at people,

I make up shit I've been doing when I know nobody knows what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.

I know genuinely good people who are being fucked over for doing half as much work as I do.

I'm not bad at what I do. I'm good at it. But what I do is is really easy to me and hard for others. 🎾 what they can do is so far out of my competence I can never emulate it. And because there are dozens of them found it they are measured by each other's achiebemebrz while what I do is only ever measured against what I have done previouslyz

So what's the fuckng point?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

This is all getting a bit wierd for me...I'll think I'll go and watch a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXGhsAynGI

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote: So Marcotte does a shit piece in Salon and Watson wets her knickers talking to Buzzfeed. Salon & Buzzfeed, does anyone take these two 'News Outlets' seriously?

This bit made me laugh the loudest.
A massive harassment campaign formed, organized primarily through a forum called the Slymepit, targeting anyone who spoke up against harassment or for feminism with a barrage of online abuse. It was, in many ways, a precursor not just to Gamergate, but to the army of Donald Trump-loving alt-right trolls on social media that followed. They employed the now-familiar tactics of dogpiling on Twitter, creating photoshopped memes to mock their targets, doxxing and ruining people's Google search results to make them unemployable.
And Zvan complaining about getting treated like meat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is how I know time machines have never been invented. There would've been at least one instance of someone waving this picture and shrieking, "THIS IS WHAT WOMEN LOOK LIKE IN THE FUTURE!!"

https://imgur.com/qBPYGwv.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote: In the past I have raised some in depth discussions by sling vital questions like 'Is hypnotism bullshit' and 'is hypnosis bullshit'.

But is he bushit?
I hope not. He's my role model, now that I'm wonky-eyed. I try to affect his off-kilter intensity, but so far I only manage to look vaguely uncomfortable, like I have potato salad in my shoes.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

But is he bushit?
He's an alcoholic.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Blasphemy! We are all tabla rasa and completely the same until racism.

Except for the Danes. My grandfather was a good Icelander and he warned us about them types.