MarcusAu

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by MarcusAu »

Fooking :nin: 's

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tigzy wrote: Also, Ben Kingsley's best ever performance is in Sexy Beast, and if you've not seen it then you really must.
Agreed. As an edgy, hyper-active mobster who says 'cunt' at least 417 times during the course of the film. Also with great work by Ray Winstone (sp??) and Ian McShane.
Somebody should really do mash-up with Ghandi.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
She ... said the fight broke out because she feared Ms MacLachlan planned to out her as transgender online.
They just don't get it, do they?

Check out the photos of the Maclachlan and try to picture this:
She said Ms Maclachlan was shaking her partner "like a rag doll" when she struck her.

She couldn't shake a rag doll like a rag doll.

But the language of the article struck me. Even the Mail is now using TERF as a legitimate label and referring to the defendant as 'she'. 'Gender critical' is in scare quotes. Trans activists have won the battle over language.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

A while back there was some stuff about Stan Lee, 95, being inappropriate with his nursing staff but now there is sometime going on to do with his care and his not so helpful daughter - and some very dodgy characters who possibly have influence or control over him, He lost someone who kept things in order for him when his wife with a marriage of 69 years died last years. All basically very depressing that his last years should be surrendered by such controversy and what will become of his legacy when the inevitable happens.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... or-1101229

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Listening to Any Questions? on R4. My, if doesn't Peter Hitchens sound almost exactly like his dead brother.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Shatterface wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 am
shoutinghorse wrote: Gorgeous George again, this time having a chat with Hitch's little bruv.

What happens when an irresistible shit meets an immovable turd?
Peter Hitchens isn't that bad if you stay away from the religious apologetics. Galloway is pure poison. Should be locked in a room with Stefan Molyneux and the two of them can butt heads to produce the singularity of slimy weasely narcissism.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Shatterface wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 am
shoutinghorse wrote: Gorgeous George again, this time having a chat with Hitch's little bruv.

What happens when an irresistible shit meets an immovable turd?
Peter Hitchens isn't that bad if you stay away from the religious apologetics. Galloway is pure poison. Should be locked in a room with Stefan Molyneux and the two of them can butt heads to produce the singularity of slimy weasely narcissism.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

InfraRedBucket wrote: A while back there was some stuff about Stan Lee, 95, being inappropriate with his nursing staff but now there is sometime going on to do with his care and his not so helpful daughter - and some very dodgy characters who possibly have influence or control over him, He lost someone who kept things in order for him when his wife with a marriage of 69 years died last years. All basically very depressing that his last years should be surrendered by such controversy and what will become of his legacy when the inevitable happens.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... or-1101229
Elder abuse is a genuine problem but unfortunately a lot of its victims are by necessity old people and often nominally "wealthy" but aren't the ones in control of their finances. But that's still more than enough for SJWs to usually not give a shit at best or actively wish them to die at worst.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
His appearance at the Senate hearing way back was quite entertaining at the time but I can no longer salute his courage, strength, or his indefatigability.....

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Update:
Transgender model who punched feminist and smashed her £120 camera in violent brawl at Hyde Park Speakers' Corner protest walks free from court

A transgender model who smashed a feminist's camera as violence flared between activists at a Speakers' Corner rally has walked free from court today.

Tara Wolf, 26, punched Maria MacLachlan, 61, at Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park last year when protesters clashed over the rights of trans women.

She was ordered to pay £430 in fines and costs after a judge declared the language of the transgender debate 'antagonistic to say the least'.

Ms MacLachlan, who describes herself as a 'gender critical feminist', had her £120 Panasonic camera knocked out of her hand by hooded Wolf, who identifies as female.

Wolf claimed she was terrified any footage of her would be used to out her as transgender and acted in self defence.

She denied assault by beating but was found guilty by Hendon Magistrates.

District Judge Kenneth Grant told Wolf: 'I find it matters of sentence this is a case of low culpability and low harm.

'I am ordering you pay a fine of £150 and further ordering you to pay a victim surcharge of £30.

'You will make a contribution of prosecution costs of £250'

As she was convicted feminist Dr Julia Long, who gave evidence in the case, shouted into her phone 'Guilty, guilty, violent. The man is guilty. I don't care.'

Then then went to the court's balcony and shouted: 'Guilty, guilty of male violence!'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... court.html

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Silverman has now been officially sacked as American Atheists President. (He had been suspended)
Still no details as to why.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Silverman has now been officially sacked as American Atheists President. (He had been suspended)
Rumour has it that he sexually mollested PZ.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote: Silverman has now been officially sacked as American Atheists President. (He had been suspended)
Knowing the history of AA... perhaps he is stealing money like Madeline.... hiring criminals like Madeline.... fucking employees like Madeline. He probably just wanted to uphold the proud tradition of the place.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: Knowing the history of AA... perhaps he is stealing money like Madeline.... hiring criminals like Madeline.... fucking employees like Madeline. He probably just wanted to uphold the proud tradition of the place.
It's one hell of a 12 step program when you acknowledge yourself as the higher power (or at least higher than all the little people).

Didn't she hire spiritual advisors too?

Hopefully this will end better than it did for her.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Financial or sex pest, place your bets now!

If it does turn out to be sexual impropriety, then it will appear that the only current group of atheists without members accused of actual sexual shenanigans will be the Slymepit. Irony can be pretty ironic.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Knowing the history of AA... perhaps he is stealing money like Madeline.... hiring criminals like Madeline.... fucking employees like Madeline. He probably just wanted to uphold the proud tradition of the place.
Have you got sources for that? There was a lot of slander thrown around about her, mainly by some rather nasty douchebag xtian types and the embezzlement rumors were included in the Netflix docudrama although I understand there never was any evidence that it occurred.
American Atheists said:
It is, however, important to note that this film is a work of fiction based on Madalyn’s life. It isn’t a documentary and many of the conversations, events, and even people are created for the sake of the story, rather than for accuracy. To be clear, we have seen no credible evidence that there was financial impropriety on the part of the O’Hairs as was implied in the film.
As for hiring a criminal,IIRC she fired him when she found out he was a crook that had stolen $53,000 from AA and 5 years later came back and murdered her and her son and grandaughter after ripping off AA again.

Yanbu

Post by Yanbu »

Tigzy wrote:
John D wrote: Shirlel Maclain as Princess Aouda....haha. They didn't even find an actress with dark hair! It must be easier to darken someone's skin with makeup than to lighten it.... or something... haha... I don't really know. (and let's not forget Ben Kingsley as Ghandi)
Well...Ben Kingsley had an Indian father, and his birth name is actually Krishna Pandit Bhanji. So it's not really whitewashing. Not completely, at any rate.

Also, Ben Kingsley's best ever performance is in Sexy Beast, and if you've not seen it then you really must.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Financial or sex pest, place your bets now!

If it does turn out to be sexual impropriety, then it will appear that the only current group of atheists without members accused of actual sexual shenanigans will be the Slymepit. Irony can be pretty ironic.
I take it we are NOT including Oolon (James Billingham) as a "member" (just someone who briefly logged in and tried to troll), 'cos he is most certainly a sex offender.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

https://www.atheists.org/2018/04/update ... silverman/
The official word on Silverman. The "safe and welcoming " might be a nod to sexual misconduct.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Both.

An Atheist Leader Was Just Fired After Complaints Of Sexual Assault And Financial Conflicts

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/d ... .tiKJ95q5Y

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Galloway is pure poison. Should be locked in a room with Stefan Molyneux and the two of them can butt heads to produce the singularity of slimy weasely narcissism.
Probably the greatest thing I've ever read in the 'pit!

*tips hat*

free thoughtpolice

So Silverman was poly too?
“He physically pressed me to the wall and began to kiss me forcefully, grabbed my breasts, and put his hand into my leggings where there was actual penetration of my vagina,” she wrote.

R. believed Silverman knew she was interested in BDSM and wrote that he began using insulting language, calling her a “dirty little whore.” He then pushed her to her knees, “where his penis briefly made contact with my mouth,” she wrote.

R. got her feet and said “no,” she wrote. Silverman then lightly slapped her face and said, "You don't get to say no to me."

At that point, R. said the BDSM safe word, “red,” which stopped him, and then she left. The next day, R. took photographs of bruises where she said Silverman had grasped her, and these pictures were included in her complaint to American Atheists.
I am disappoint. No poo poo play. Yet

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
John D wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Have you got sources for that? There was a lot of slander thrown around about her, mainly by some rather nasty douchebag xtian types and the embezzlement rumors were included in the Netflix docudrama although I understand there never was any evidence that it occurred.
American Atheists said:
It is, however, important to note that this film is a work of fiction based on Madalyn’s life. It isn’t a documentary and many of the conversations, events, and even people are created for the sake of the story, rather than for accuracy. To be clear, we have seen no credible evidence that there was financial impropriety on the part of the O’Hairs as was implied in the film.
As for hiring a criminal,IIRC she fired him when she found out he was a crook that had stolen $53,000 from AA and 5 years later came back and murdered her and her son and grandaughter after ripping off AA again.
I don't know anything more than you do.... I was just making a joke... but some things do make you go "Hmmmmm".

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

InfraRedBucket wrote: She may have turned into a bit of a fruit cake these days but boy, was she cute in her time.
In the Apartment, in the days women actually hung around lifts as their job, and met men that way.

MACLAINE-22222.jpg
And didn't follow up with 'Guys, don't do that' either.

free thoughtpolice

I wonder who "R" is? Couldn't be Becky. :think:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ has just discovered who is responsible for the alt-right.

Aragorn.

He has found some crticmwhich whom he is performing a reach around:

Critic:
If I were sitting in a tube train and all the people opposite me were reading Mein Kampf with obvious enjoyment and approval it probably wouldn’t disturb me much more than if they were reading Heinlein, Tolkein or Richard Adams. All this visionary fiction seems to me to have a great deal in common. Utopian fiction has been predominantly reactionary in one form or another (as well as being predominantly dull) since it began. Most of it warns the world of ‘decadence’ in its contemporaries and the alternatives are usually authoritarian and sweeping

PZ:
I agree — even Tolkien, who has become even more popular today thanks to that series of wildly successful movies, created a wierdly asexual, regressive, pastoral universe where old traditional values, like aristocracy and kingship, were revered.
Pippen and Horst Wessel. I always suspected as much.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Rose St Clair? Wow.

Everyone remembers Stef McGraw, but Rose is mostly forgotten, though she was the other girl Rebecca shit on for disagreeing with her about the elevator incident.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm
“He physically pressed me to the wall and began to kiss me forcefully, grabbed my breasts, and put his hand into my leggings where there was actual penetration of my vagina,” she wrote.

R. believed Silverman knew she was interested in BDSM and wrote that he began using insulting language, calling her a “dirty little whore.” He then pushed her to her knees, “where his penis briefly made contact with my mouth,” she wrote.

R. got her feet and said “no,” she wrote. Silverman then lightly slapped her face and said, "You don't get to say no to me."

At that point, R. said the BDSM safe word, “red,” which stopped him, and then she left. The next day, R. took photographs of bruises where she said Silverman had grasped her, and these pictures were included in her complaint to American Atheists.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding BDSM but I thought the whole point of a safe word is that everything prior to using it is considered consensual.

That's why they pick a word other than 'No'.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oh, swell. Greta, Ashley, and Heina in an article about sex. Thank god there are no pictures.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+lust wrote: Rose St Clair? Wow.

Everyone remembers Stef McGraw, but Rose is mostly forgotten, though she was the other girl Rebecca shit on for disagreeing with her about the elevator incident.
You bitch. I was just about to claim this one but I did a quick pre niggering word search for “Rose”

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:

You bitch. I was just about to claim this one but I did a quick pre niggering word search for “Rose”
I use too much cranial space to store baboon garbage. If I had a more interesting life I wouldn't remember this stuff :lol:

free thoughtpolice

Ape-Tap into the baboonatron and see if you can find a first initial R that was the BDSM girl.
Inquiring minds want to know. :drool:

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: This is the SocJus / rad trannie bullshit now being force-fed to California school kids:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... 3851937408
While several of the items you listed (from the CHYA) are false (or, at least, enjoy no empirical support), two the items that you listed are true:

* 'Gender' is defined as “[a]ttitudes, feelings, characteristics, and behaviors that a given culture associates with being male or female and that are often labeled as ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’”;

* An infinite number of gender identities exist, including “male, female, neither of these, both, or other gender(s)”;

Do you actually disagree with these?
I do.

Outside of grammar, 'Gender' is a worthless neologism. That definition might hold some water for 'Gender Role', but it's so mealy-mouthed and vague as to be functionally useless.

The term 'Gender Identity' is almost entirely superfluous. Either a person (or any animal, for that matter) correctly identifies its sex, or it suffers from a dysphoria. Infinite permutations of 'gender dysphoria' may well potentially exists, but only three categories exist: Male; Female; Confused.

Note that the mandated policy implementation, a person's sex is determined by their gender identity. Meaning schools in theory must provide a potentially infinite number of toilets and locker rooms to accommodate each & every student's 'sex' (sic).
Being worthless is not the same as being untrue. The quoted bit about gender is the standard definition (also used in psychology) and the second follows from the definition.

As to the mandated policy that places gender above or instead of sex, we agree, which is why I didn't quote such in my post.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding BDSM but I thought the whole point of a safe word is that everything prior to using it is considered consensual.

Yeah, that doesn't make any fucking sense. In that situation "red" is the ONLY word that means "no," so why didn't she spring it immediately? It stopped him like a bullet, the only problem was that she didn't say it sooner.

Billie from Ockham

Bhurzum wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The term 'Gender Identity' is almost entirely superfluous.
I'd go even further and suggest it's entirely useless. [snip]
There are things for which a continuous or multivariate measure of gender is a better predictor than dichotomous sex, even after you correct for the higher number of predictor degrees of freedom. So, from a strictly mathematical point-of-view, you are incorrect.

Note, also, that the above makes the point that, while they are highly correlated, gender and sex are distinct attributes of a person, although it takes a really huge sample size for the distinction to be significant.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 am
Feminism dug it's own grave when it decided gender was a social construct.

Sports, bathrooms, whatever, were never segregated by gender. They were segregated by sex.

Testing testosterone levels in sports, for instance, was to determine the athletes sex, not gender.

We don't have separate sporting events because one 'gender' swears a lot and gobs on the floor, while the other likes to gossip or lez up in the showers.
The error was in trying to replace every application of sex with gender. The idea that gender is a social construct is actually correct; at least, everything that makes gender distinct from sex is a social construct.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Notorious atheist women beginning with "R"?

It can't be. Can it? Silverman wouldn't stoop to bashing that skank, surely.......? If so, PZ will be fuming.

:lol:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I got drunk and let him fuck me up the ass bareback because I was worried otherwise he wouldn't help my career.

I have no respect for you, Ms. St. Clair.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I got drunk and let him fuck me up the ass bareback because I was worried otherwise he wouldn't help my career.

I have no respect for you, Ms. St. Clair.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote: PZ has just discovered who is responsible for the alt-right.

Aragorn.

He has found some crticmwhich whom he is performing a reach around:

Critic:
If I were sitting in a tube train and all the people opposite me were reading Mein Kampf with obvious enjoyment and approval it probably wouldn’t disturb me much more than if they were reading Heinlein, Tolkein or Richard Adams. All this visionary fiction seems to me to have a great deal in common. Utopian fiction has been predominantly reactionary in one form or another (as well as being predominantly dull) since it began. Most of it warns the world of ‘decadence’ in its contemporaries and the alternatives are usually authoritarian and sweeping

PZ:
I agree — even Tolkien, who has become even more popular today thanks to that series of wildly successful movies, created a wierdly asexual, regressive, pastoral universe where old traditional values, like aristocracy and kingship, were revered.
Pippen and Horst Wessel. I always suspected as much.
Did Meyers really say "weirdly asexual"? Firstly, that is the most perfect description of how he looked in that bathtub interview. Secondly, I hope his Herd rip him a new one for that heteronormative hate speech.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Shatterface wrote:

You are understanding BDSM. The reason for a safeword is so that the sub can plead for the dom to stop without consequence, but inform the dom when they've found a true red line. If you are doing a domination or rape fantasy, you need a construct like that. If you think you were violated because the dom didn't stop until you said the safework you either didn't inquire enough before consenting to an experience, or you are deliberately trying to manipulate public opinion. Probably the latter unless you are a complete idiot.

Billie from Ockham

John D wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:42 am
Shirlel Maclain as Princess Aouda....haha. They didn't even find an actress with dark hair! It must be easier to darken someone's skin with makeup than to lighten it.... or something... haha... I don't really know. (and let's not forget Ben Kingsley as Ghandi)
aroundtheworldin80days_sokeenaboutwhist_FC_HD_2997_470x264_012620160539.jpg
My favorite is Eleanor Bron as the Ahme in Help! They really couldn't find an Indian women in Britain in the 1960s?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Ape-Tap into the baboonatron and see if you can find a first initial R that was the BDSM girl.
Inquiring minds want to know. :drool:
I've got nothing. That girl is stupid to have allowed them to use her actual initial, though. She doesn't want to be found out, but she's going to be.

Y'know, there are multiple complainants. Which opens the possibility, miniscule though it is, that Muscato is among them :shock:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ape+lust wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Maybe I'm misunderstanding BDSM but I thought the whole point of a safe word is that everything prior to using it is considered consensual.

Yeah, that doesn't make any fucking sense. In that situation "red" is the ONLY word that means "no," so why didn't she spring it immediately? It stopped him like a bullet, the only problem was that she didn't say it sooner.
It makes a nonsense of safe words if bruises inflicted before they are spoken can be used as evidence of assault.

I'd be pretty worried if I was into BDSM knowing that consent can retrospectively be withdrawn.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Worth noting - there is no "BDSM safeword". The idea is that you negotiate a safeword, and you have an agreed upon one before you start the session. "Red" isn't a good safeword much less a universal one. "Clam-banana" is a far better one, because no one is going to say that ever except as a code word for something.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

For the record, my safe word is 'szczęście.'

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Old_ones wrote: Worth noting - there is no "BDSM safeword". The idea is that you negotiate a safeword, and you have an agreed upon one before you start the session. "Red" isn't a good safeword much less a universal one. "Clam-banana" is a far better one, because no one is going to say that ever except as a code word for something.
Wouldn't work for me. Clam-banana is what I call my penis.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote: I'd be pretty worried if I was into BDSM knowing that consent can retrospectively be withdrawn.
If you delete "if I was into BDSM" from the above, then you could be any male American college student.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote: It makes a nonsense of safe words if bruises inflicted before they are spoken can be used as evidence of assault.

I'd be pretty worried if I was into BDSM knowing that consent can retrospectively be withdrawn.
I'm always astonished by people I thought were smart looking for hookups in the SJW-infested atheist/skeptic pool. It would take David Attenborough a week of television specials to explain the perils and complexities of their mating rituals to normal people.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Our Becky's weighed in (AGAIN) .. Any opportunity hey Becks ;)

Billie from Ockham

Imagine Philippe Petit doing one of his stunts with a net underneath him.

That's BDSM with a safeword.

free thoughtpolice

PZ cautiously drops the bombshell. I'm guessing he and the orbit crew might be a little shy about getting ahead on rape accusations what with the lawsuit and all.
http://archive.is/vyJba
This comment from Mrs. Matt Dillahunty:
bethpresswood
13 April 2018 at 7:18 pm
For those confused, RED is a universal safeword in at least the American BDSM subculture.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+lust wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

I use too much cranial space to store baboon garbage. If I had a more interesting life I wouldn't remember this stuff :lol:
Oh I know her well from EG, I have her video which is rare. I was just searching if any other dick had got there first.

Alas since my one note disaster, I am now reduced to brain alone for these details. :bjarte:

There is something odd about an anti SJW getting raped by a mangina. That takes some parsing.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Working in Liverpool I meet a lot of Blues who would never say 'red' even if you shoved a coat hanger up their urethra.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

So...are there any atheist/skeptic entities that aren't staffed at the top some sort of sexual clique?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John D

Post by John D »

Answer #1 - Yes.... all leaders of atheist and secular groups are narcissistic fucks, most of whom are only atheists so they don't feel guilty pressuring others for sexual favors.

Answer #2 - Owen Benjamin will never use the "N" word again.....

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 pm
BoxNDox wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 am
Quentin Letts of the Daily Mail is being crucified for questioning the casting of black people in 17th century British plays https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/rs ... de-review/

Of course, the RSC is colour-blind.
Really? Did that happen before or after Hugh Quarshie joined a long line of actors, almost all of them black, playing Othello at the RSC?

Hugh Quarshie also had to backpedal a bit on his previous statements that Othello should only be played by white actors, because, you know, the stereotype of murderous black men and all that.
I'm okay with race and gender swapped roles in plays, because theatre requires the audience to exercise its imagination somewhat. In less tolerant when they do that with movies because it takes me out of the experience; "Julius Caesar is black?"
What really bugs me is every time there's a production of say Robin Hood, there has to be black and Asian merry men, and SJW'S will approve* and proclaim that there tons of POC in medieval Britain, but cast white people in a biblical epic or ancient Egypt story and you'll get "REEEEE! There were no white people there until the colonizers came!"

*They won't actually approve. They'll complain that there aren't enough POC, or the roles aren't prominent enough.
It depends on the play, the production, and the context in which it's being done.

I'm a bit old fashioned about this - and no, the doesn't mean I think theater has to conform to the classical unities. Rather, I believe that theater is supposed to transport the audience somewhere, and return then transformed. (If memory serves, this is how Richard Scheckner put it, but Teh Google is being uncooperative on confirming it). It's sufficient to be entertained, but great theater does more than that.

So if you want to put on a musical called The Merchant of Venus, about a conflict between the women of Venus and the men of Mars and based on the obvious source, go for it. Or if you want to walk through all 36 Shakespeare plays over a period of a week using kitchen utensils, I'm skeptical but intrigued.

If you want to do Waiting for Godot with an all-female cast, or End Game set in a subway station instead of an alley, it's fine by me.

And if your version of The Mikado works best set in colonial India, then that's where you should set it.

What matters is whether or the result is any good. With one exception - I've actually all the aforementioned plays done with those liberties taken, and they were all excellent. (The exception is the production of End Game. There was such a production, done in Chicago I think, that Beckett himself famously blocked.)

I've also seen many productions done with strict attention paid to doing it "the right way" that were pure Grade A suckage, to the point where you"d have to pay me $$$ to work on or see another production of A Man for all Seasons, The Trojan Women, or The Cherry Orchard. (Seriously, you have no idea how bad it can be until you see little Tommy More lose concentration in the middle of four pages of monologue and start the whole thing over. For the third time. And since you're the light board operator you can't walk out.)

But please don't try and sell me the line that you're going to be strictly color-blind now and forevermore, because I know PC bullshit when I hear it. A lot of plays have a very strong cultural context that difficult or impossible to break out of. So maybe you could do a great production of Lone Star with a Japanese men followed by stupendous version of Laundry and Bourbon with Korean women, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Billie from Ockham wrote: There are things for which a continuous or multivariate measure of gender is a better predictor than dichotomous sex, even after you correct for the higher number of predictor degrees of freedom.
Such as?

(I'm guessing this will be pointless "gender studies" nonsense, IE: useless faff)
Billie from Ockham wrote: So, from a strictly mathematical point-of-view, you are incorrect.
Strictly pointless.
Billie from Ockham wrote: Note, also, that the above makes the point that, while they are highly correlated, gender and sex are distinct attributes of a person, although it takes a really huge sample size for the distinction to be significant.
In exactly the same way that "favourite colour" is an attribute of a person? It's entirely subjective, utterly pointless and of zero consequence. Unless of course you're an LGBTQ(Batman symbol)9+3/4 fuckwit who wields his/her/its "gender identity" like a fucking club and rams the fact into every conversation they have.

:popcorn: