There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Tigzy »

shoutinghorse wrote: Having said that, if you are going to make a video about historical accuracies then don't say "The Doctor is walking through Regency England, in Victorian times" (5:00) :oops:
Heh. I did a post on this a while back - truth is, the black-folks-in-Victorian-London scenario from those episodes of Dr Who isn't actually that wide of the mark. In truth, there were areas, largely along the banks of the Thames, which did have signficant (albeit declining) non-white populations - and I do recall the episodes being set mostly amongst a Thames-side community. However, I suspect this is more down to accident than by design on the BBC's part, given that it seemed to imply that all of London at the time was socially enriched by all this multiculturalism, which certainly wasn't the case. The odd pocket of diversity aside, the London of that era was quite overwhelmingly white.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

2 days ago, I posted about a comic book crowdfunding campaign. The author is nicknamed 'Zack', also known on youtube as 'Diversity & Comics'.

When I posted, the initial crowdfunding had closed at a healthy $200,000. But another $25,000 has been raised, in 2 days, in response to a harassment campaign by SJWs in the comic book industry.

Antarctic Press had agreed to publish the book, but backed-out of the deal yesterday-- because the publisher's day-job is in the medical profession: SJW harassment had crossed-over from the comicbook side of his life/ threatening the medical services he offers.

'Zach' has announced that he will self-publish, under the name Splatto Comics.

All this is 'drama', of a sort we have come to know well, in recent years.

It's genuinely dramatic-- which is a potent fire to play-with. Emotions are high & there's no vetting of the fanboys on either side-- to assure no-one escalates the next wave of retaliation beyond civility. I can easily see physical attacks occurring.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I've also pointed out WHY assimilation isn't happening, especially in the "muslim communities": the effects of having "community leaders" which are trained and educated by a foreign power with a hostile ideology, and the moronic idea of inviting those same "community leaders" to the table of discussion because they're "representatives" instead of pushing up and promoting progressives, people who are more secular. Also the Regressive denial that islam is in dire need of secularization, and its protection of muslim conservatism as a form of identity politics.

And yes, big numbers of immigrants moving in quickly always find it hard to assimilate. Ibiza has its own German community of tourists/residents who don't mix in.

In Switzerland, where the migration fluxes are regulated, and assimilation is required to stay, things are better, without it being an "ethno-state", whatever Brive may think. Now the "Swiss model" probably doesn't work as well in other parts of the world. The "American model" of a cultural assimilation through selection and through the construction of civil national ideas probably is better in other parts of the world. Or a mix of both. Or some new ideas to promote integration and tear down the power of "local community leaders", especially if they're sent from abroad.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Kirbmarc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: It seems that people need to "distance" themselves from undesirables, which includes not talking to or engaging them. If you actually want to make a difference, that is the very worst thing you can do. That's how the Democrats lost big. Changing minds, especially among the undecided and wavering means steelmanning your opponent, not panicking about laying pipes. It means acknowledging where they're right and pointing out where they're wrong. It means examining controversial positions.

I don't buy the idea that having a friendly exchange with somebody equals endorsement of their ideas. I can have breakfast in my hometown amongst rednecks that think Trump is a liberal and then have dinner amongst Seattle ultra-liberals. I don't endorse either. But ultimately we either have to get along or we're likely to head into an uncomfortable conflict.
The problem isn't about not talking with people, or not examining controversial positions. I've argued A LOT with Brive, and I've conceded when he had a point (immigration needs rules, you need to avoid ghettoization-silos, you need some kind of filter and can't let in everyone, and not at the same pace) many times, although to be fair those were positions I already argued for.

The problem is that some people aren't simply disagreeing about tax reforms or immigration politics or cultural issues. They're calling for action, and for a discriminatory action. I'm not saying you shouldn't argue with them, but you CANNOT simply nod along and agree with everything they say and still call yourself a supporter of liberal democracy.

When Jared Taylor says that segregation is actually good, you should stop him and remind him of the damages of apartheid, of segregation in the US, of why "separate but equal" is never actually equal, of the dangers of social echo chambers, etc. You can be as polite and open as you want, but you MUST take those conversations away from hypotheticals and into the realm of historic reality. Otherwise you're not arguing, you're supporting, you're nodding along. Please, watch the Sargon video with Taylor.

Arguing relentlessly and without compromises is what people here have done with Vicky and GuruGeorge when they pushed for Holocaust denialism. We didn't ban them, we didn't threaten their lives or livelihoods, but we didn't give their ideas a pass, either.

People HAVE heavily challenged creationists, woo-meister, SocJus thinkers and other frauds here, without kid gloves, without holding back. I don't see why suddenly we have to nod along with everything that the "white separatists" argue for, or treat their ideas with any kind of special respect.
So who is nodding along? There's been considerable pushback. Even a couple of flounces. If there is support for extreme views, it is probably best to look at the reason their views are extreme. Aneris wanted to dismiss the symptoms without looking at the disease (nor did his self-righteous, arrogant behavior help.) You can't do that and expect things to get better.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guest_a1118c47 wrote: She made other comments such as, “The kinds of characteristics that can get you stoned to death in other parts of the world are now celebrated on American college campuses.”"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The absolute state of the Pit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who are you? I really wanna know.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: So who is nodding along? There's been considerable pushback. Even a couple of flounces. If there is support for extreme views, it is probably best to look at the reason their views are extreme. Aneris wanted to dismiss the symptoms without looking at the disease (nor did his self-righteous, arrogant behavior help.) You can't do that and expect things to get better.
I'm not talking about this forum per se, I'm talking about Sargon and Dave Rubin, who are much more influential than this place. Rubin is even called part of the "Intellectual Dark Web" along with Harris, Pinker and the Weinstein brothers. Sargon is very influential in terms of the Youtube skeptic movement. And they're both attacking the SocJus (OK) but giving the Alt-Right a pass, even its extreme incarnations like Taylor, without pushback, while still calling themselves "classical liberal" "centrists" etc. (not so OK):

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tigzy wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: Having said that, if you are going to make a video about historical accuracies then don't say "The Doctor is walking through Regency England, in Victorian times" (5:00) :oops:
Heh. I did a post on this a while back - truth is, the black-folks-in-Victorian-London scenario from those episodes of Dr Who isn't actually that wide of the mark. In truth, there were areas, largely along the banks of the Thames, which did have signficant (albeit declining) non-white populations - and I do recall the episodes being set mostly amongst a Thames-side community. However, I suspect this is more down to accident than by design on the BBC's part, given that it seemed to imply that all of London at the time was socially enriched by all this multiculturalism, which certainly wasn't the case. The odd pocket of diversity aside, the London of that era was quite overwhelmingly white.
Docklands have always been ethnically diverse. It's in the nature of trade that people move as well as goods. That Doctor Who episode was about orphans living along the river. Sailors were notorious for having a woman in every port. Some of them are going to have kids. Those kids are going to look like their parents.

People seemed to have more of a problem with this than idea that there was a mile long monster living in the Thames and that everyone just forgot about it.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote: I've also pointed out WHY assimilation isn't happening, especially in the "muslim communities": the effects of having "community leaders" which are trained and educated by a foreign power with a hostile ideology, and the moronic idea of inviting those same "community leaders" to the table of discussion because they're "representatives" instead of pushing up and promoting progressives, people who are more secular. Also the Regressive denial that islam is in dire need of secularization, and its protection of muslim conservatism as a form of identity politics.

And yes, big numbers of immigrants moving in quickly always find it hard to assimilate. Ibiza has its own German community of tourists/residents who don't mix in.

In Switzerland, where the migration fluxes are regulated, and assimilation is required to stay, things are better, without it being an "ethno-state", whatever Brive may think. Now the "Swiss model" probably doesn't work as well in other parts of the world. The "American model" of a cultural assimilation through selection and through the construction of civil national ideas probably is better in other parts of the world. Or a mix of both. Or some new ideas to promote integration and tear down the power of "local community leaders", especially if they're sent from abroad.
That may be true, but I believe that Brive is not just referring to societal assimilation, but the character of the culture. Even if you have excellent assimilation, the nature and character of the culture is bound to change with considerable immigration. Personally, I think that's often a good thing. I don't care if Americans are mostly using chopsticks in ten years, as long as they embrace the Constitution and make an effort to speak English. But that's an American point of view, where we are largely a nation of immigrants. For many countries their national character is being irrevocably changed, and they have a right to be concerned by that. I don't think extremism is the answer, but neither is doing nothing.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_a1118c47 wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 am
Another good talk by Heather MacDonald.

"Following a comment from an audience member that suggested women who wear inappropriate bathing suits (bikinis) share the fault with the male counterpart should they be raped, she said, “What you just did would be referred to as slut shaming.”

“Good for you,” she continued, “because sluts should be shamed as far as I am concerned.”

She made other comments such as, “The kinds of characteristics that can get you stoned to death in other parts of the world are now celebrated on American college campuses.”"

WTF is this regressive shit about men who can't control themselves and women who shouldn't dress in bikinis lest they entice the uncontrollable beasts?

The fact that we celebrate women's freedom to wear bikinis while the muslim world sees them as sluts who must be covered is one of the reasons why the west is better than the muslim world. Fuck the Puritans wherever they come from. Grid girls, cheerleaders, women in bikinis are awesome and have all the rights to do whatever they like without the killjoys blaming them because they make them feel sad for being lardasses or because their boyfriend looked at those "sluts" and they feel envious.

If you're a man and the sight of a woman in a bikini turns you into a rapist, you're the one is deeply fucked up, and who needs a long stay in prison far away from any women.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: So who is nodding along? There's been considerable pushback. Even a couple of flounces. If there is support for extreme views, it is probably best to look at the reason their views are extreme. Aneris wanted to dismiss the symptoms without looking at the disease (nor did his self-righteous, arrogant behavior help.) You can't do that and expect things to get better.
I'm not talking about this forum per se, I'm talking about Sargon and Dave Rubin, who are much more influential than this place. Rubin is even called part of the "Intellectual Dark Web" along with Harris, Pinker and the Weinstein brothers. Sargon is very influential in terms of the Youtube skeptic movement. And they're both attacking the SocJus (OK) but giving the Alt-Right a pass, even its extreme incarnations like Taylor, without pushback, while still calling themselves "classical liberal" "centrists" etc. (not so OK):
Maybe they're just attacking the larger problem as they see it, or perhaps they feel enough attention is already put on right-wing extremists? If you read most western MSM, you know there's already considerable attention on the right-wing, and very, very little on the extreme left. Fuck, who even heard of Richard Spencer before the media thrust him into the spotlights?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
Guest_a1118c47 wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 am
Another good talk by Heather MacDonald.

"Following a comment from an audience member that suggested women who wear inappropriate bathing suits (bikinis) share the fault with the male counterpart should they be raped, she said, “What you just did would be referred to as slut shaming.”

“Good for you,” she continued, “because sluts should be shamed as far as I am concerned.”

She made other comments such as, “The kinds of characteristics that can get you stoned to death in other parts of the world are now celebrated on American college campuses.”"

WTF is this regressive shit about men who can't control themselves and women who shouldn't dress in bikinis lest they entice the uncontrollable beasts?

The fact that we celebrate women's freedom to wear bikinis while the muslim world sees them as sluts who must be covered is one of the reasons why the west is better than the muslim world. Fuck the Puritans wherever they come from. Grid girls, cheerleaders, women in bikinis are awesome and have all the rights to do whatever they like without the killjoys blaming them because they make them feel sad for being lardasses or because their boyfriend looked at those "sluts" and they feel envious.

If you're a man and the sight of a woman in a bikini turns you into a rapist, you're the one is deeply fucked up, and who needs a long stay in prison far away from any women.
The sight of bare woman skin making men into rapists sounds deeply Islamic to me...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: That may be true, but I believe that Brive is not just referring to societal assimilation, but the character of the culture. Even if you have excellent assimilation, the nature and character of the culture is bound to change with considerable immigration. Personally, I think that's often a good thing. I don't care if Americans are mostly using chopsticks in ten years, as long as they embrace the Constitution and make an effort to speak English. But that's an American point of view, where we are largely a nation of immigrants. For many countries their national character is being irrevocably changed, and they have a right to be concerned by that. I don't think extremism is the answer, but neither is doing nothing.
Cultures change, though, all the time. They mix up, influence each other. The idea that you should "preserve" cultures just JUST for the culture's sake is similar to the SocJus argument against "cultural appropriation". Or Steersman's linguistic prescriptive ideas about language.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: The sight of bare woman skin making men into rapists sounds deeply Islamic to me...
Yup, that's what the Salafis and other muslim conservatives argue, this is one of the reasons why they're utter cunts.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It seems that Heather McDonald, for all her hatred of muslim terrorism and islam, is also pretty much on board with many islamic ideas:
When asked by an audience member whether women who wear revealing bathing suits should share fault with their aggressors in cases of sexual assault, Mac Donald responded: “What you just did would be referred to as slut shaming... Good for you, because sluts should be shamed as far as I am concerned.”
Heather would fit right into a Salafi conference. Maybe she secretly yearns to be part of the Caliphate.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: That may be true, but I believe that Brive is not just referring to societal assimilation, but the character of the culture. Even if you have excellent assimilation, the nature and character of the culture is bound to change with considerable immigration. Personally, I think that's often a good thing. I don't care if Americans are mostly using chopsticks in ten years, as long as they embrace the Constitution and make an effort to speak English. But that's an American point of view, where we are largely a nation of immigrants. For many countries their national character is being irrevocably changed, and they have a right to be concerned by that. I don't think extremism is the answer, but neither is doing nothing.
Cultures change, though, all the time. They mix up, influence each other. The idea that you should "preserve" cultures just JUST for the culture's sake is similar to the SocJus argument against "cultural appropriation". Or Steersman's linguistic prescriptive ideas about language.
The direction, nature and degree of that culture's change is, or should be, up to that culture. It is wildly undemocratic and illiberal to say "your culture is gonna change, you don't have a say in how, just lay back and take it." The people involved should ultimately have the final say, it should be a democratic process, and not completely guided as a short-term financial fix.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't see a difference between going apeshit over students in sombreros and going ape over a black girl playing Joan of Arc.

If your history and culture are so weak they can't survive a bit of cosplay they don't deserve to live.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Maybe they're just attacking the larger problem as they see it, or perhaps they feel enough attention is already put on right-wing extremists? If you read most western MSM, you know there's already considerable attention on the right-wing, and very, very little on the extreme left. Fuck, who even heard of Richard Spencer before the media thrust him into the spotlights?
I agree that the media is full of clickbait-mongers who gave Spencer way too much attention, and the moron who punched him played right into his hands. But that's not an excuse for giving certain ideas a pass. Rubin has hosted people who weren't too different in the ideas they expose from Spencer. Maybe less outright insane about "one drop" rules about who's white and who's not, but still along the lines of the Twilight of West and the Great Replacement (Lauren Southern) or supporters of LePen who also gave a nod to the idea of white separatism (Sargon).

There's also far too much attention in "mainstream media" on online idiocy like the Flat Earth Society, it doesn't mean that we have to sit down and nod along with someone who says that it's a vaguely curved disc.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Again, I don't see the "nodding along" bit. Just posting something here does not necessarily indicate agreement. If it does, then visit the Bigfoot thread, where apparently both FtP and I believe in Bigfoot.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote: ...When Jared Taylor says that segregation is actually good, you should stop him and remind him of the damages of apartheid, of segregation in the US, of why "separate but equal" is never actually equal, of the dangers of social echo chambers, etc. You can be as polite and open as you want, but you MUST take those conversations away from hypotheticals and into the realm of historic reality. Otherwise you're not arguing, you're supporting, you're nodding along. Please, watch the Sargon video with Taylor...
Sargon Must Denounce, eh?

According to Kirbmarc,
If someone-else sez something bad or wrong or stupid-- and you, dear reader, remain silent & still-- then you're actively 'nodding along', and 'supporting' the badwrongstupid side.

This is classic SJW nonsense... drawing the battlelines to include within the Nazi label: passive bystanders, impartial interviewers, people with no dog in the fight.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

... and even-those who DO actively-oppose the thing Kirbmarc opposes... just-not to Kirbmarc's satisfaction.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Tigzy wrote:
Did Scots and Irish count as white at the time - or were they 'beyond the pale' ?

CaptainFluffyBunny

The west might be in twillight, torn apart by separatist movements on both sides. The right and the left attack science, push racial separation and further divide people. There is a real problem of college campuses peddling pure propaganda. And we have people on both sides simply dismissing the other side wholesale, without understanding their ideas. If you want to understand SocJus, you have to listen to what they are saying and understand why they are saying it. Even acknowledge when they're right. The exact same thing has to happen to understand the extreme right. And if you happen to nod along to either side, maybe they have a particular point.

CaptainFluffyBunny

You guys done forget the Finland Friday thing. I also think there should be Sapphic Saturday to even things out.

CaptainFluffyBunny

The presence of POCs in ostensibly early European sethings isn't a new phenomenon.
norseman.jpg
(39.29 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
1978 The Norsemen
That said, I was more upset at the time by the armor, helmets and the presence of a crossbow.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Muslim woman refuses to wax tranny's bollocks:
Human rights application launched against Windsor body waxing business by transgender woman

A Windsor business specializing in body hair removal is facing a Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario complaint after the alleged denial of service to a transgender woman.

The complainant seeks compensation in the amount of $50,000 for “immense harm to my dignity,” according to the complaint filed through the tribunal.

A Windsor business specializing in body hair removal is facing a Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario complaint after the alleged denial of service to a transgender woman.

The complainant seeks compensation in the amount of $50,000 for “immense harm to my dignity,” according to the complaint filed through the tribunal.

The complainant indicates in the application that she contacted Mad Wax in Windsor in March to inquire about getting her legs waxed. She says she also asked whether Transgender women were welcome for waxing services. After a conversation with the employee, she was told the manager would follow up.

When the manager, Jason Carruthers returned her call, the complainant alleges he advised that Mad Wax does not provide waxing services to men and that his ‘waxer’ is a Muslim woman who is not comfortable waxing male parts. Carruthers also indicated no other staffwere available to perform the request.

The complainant claims to have offered to educate the manager on his duty to accommodate, then sought waxing services elsewhere.

Carruthers, who is the president and CEO of Mad Wax Windsor Camp Inc., confirmed he has been served with the complaint and has retained legal services from Ray Colautti.

“All clients regardless of sex, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation are welcome,” said Carruthers. “However, we also welcome staff members and respect their religious beliefs and feelings of safety and dignity in regards to the right not to perform waxing services on males or male genitals.”

The application to the HRTO says Carruthers’ “refusal to provide me with leg-waxing services because I am a Transgender woman, and their disclosing my name, gender identity and personal information to various media outlets has left me feeling threatened, exposed, with my rights violated in terms of seeking services as a woman in the Windsor-Essex community.”
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/human ... sc=2lV42Ii

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: The presence of POCs in ostensibly early European sethings isn't a new phenomenon.
norseman.jpg
1978 The Norsemen
That said, I was more upset at the time by the armor, helmets and the presence of a crossbow.
Or full sets of teeth.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Kirbmarc wrote:
I don't follow Sargon or Rubin, but maybe they think there's already tons of people going after the alt-right already, and not nearly enough coverage of the control-left?

katamari Damassi

Shatterface wrote: I don't see a difference between going apeshit over students in sombreros and going ape over a black girl playing Joan of Arc.

If your history and culture are so weak they can't survive a bit of cosplay they don't deserve to live.
I suddenly feel the need to clarify that my post about Hamilton was a joke. Is it me or is the pit getting weird?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Let the title IX games begin...

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/11/cinc ... oe-roe-sex

:lol:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Shatterface wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Docklands have always been ethnically diverse. It's in the nature of trade that people move as well as goods. That Doctor Who episode was about orphans living along the river. Sailors were notorious for having a woman in every port. Some of them are going to have kids. Those kids are going to look like their parents.

People seemed to have more of a problem with this than idea that there was a mile long monster living in the Thames and that everyone just forgot about it.
The point I was making with that particular remark was the narrators obvious historical mistake in time. The Regency period was between 1811-1820 when George III was deemed too mad to serve and the Prince of Wales became ruler as Prince Regent whereas the Victorian era didn't come about until Queen Victoria ascended the throne in 1837. The Regency period and the Victorian period are quite distinctively separate parts in English history.

I don't actually mind if they show black people living in Britain in those times, it's historically correct, there have been black enclaves in places like Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool and Glasgow as well as London for generations, my problem has always been with the disingenuous way they insist that there was some kind of ethnic multicultural utopia and that only the baddies noticed they were black or the portrayal of real historically white people as black. The reverse would never happen. I can remember the stick Michael Bates got for playing an Indian punkah wallah in 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' But we just have to accept a Black Margaret of Anjou and stop being a racist for pointing out the historical inaccuracies.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Aneris has been banging on about pipe-laying at WEIT again.
Problem Two: Severely Underestimating the Influence of the Far Right. You know this when you dive into the trench, follow people, subscribe to channels and get a feel for what is going on. Dave Rubin is an especially weak link. He promoted Alt Right characters, or recommended people (like Carl Benjamin and Lauren Southern) who are part of Faschist YouTube. The former is also listed on the IDW site. If you want to check this, search for identitarian movement, chats with Jared Taylor and Richard Spencer, promoting Front National and that should keep you going (there is much more).
Apparently if you argue with alt-right characters on youtube that makes you a fascist. Aneris is quite fond of the old guilt by association ploy.
Tarring someone with guilt by association really torques my testes. But then again, Aneris is a Kraut, so you would expect it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Shatterface wrote: I don't see a difference between going apeshit over students in sombreros and going ape over a black girl playing Joan of Arc.

I suddenly feel the need to clarify that my post about Hamilton was a joke. Is it me or is the pit getting weird?
I was thinking more of Brive's 'Nobody seems to think it's an issue' complaint about black actors. I rate that that kind of complaint alongside the 'cultural appropriation' of sombreros and the like.

I don't see how we can scoff at people throwing hissy-fits over droopy moustaches, dragon tattoos and kimonos while at the same time crying 'white erasure' over a handful of black actors (usually the same four or five) doing Shakespeare or Doctor Who.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Kirbmarc wrote: I think that the label "fascist" is obsolete and too vague to mean anything concrete right now
George Orwell wrote this in 1941:
It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: George Orwell wrote this in 1941:
Is that the prequel to 1984?

Asking for a friend...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Holy shit, this will rustle some jimmies!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: George Orwell wrote this in 1941:
Is that the prequel to 1984?

Asking for a friend...
No, it's a Spielberg film. I didn't realise Orwell created Wild Bill Kelso.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:12 am
The fact that the SocJus exists doesn't excuse the Alt-Right.
No, SocJus created the Alt-Right. You can't play identity politics for everyone except white men, and not expect white men to start playing by your rules. That's the primary reason they aren't as big a danger. They'll collapse in on themselves once SocJus is stopped.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Going with the movie numbers theme (and also the page)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWE_xhb9OY

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am
The main thing I object to, going down the path we're currently on, is that the obvious outcome of this is that eventually the whole world will have one culture. I think something will be lost when that occurs. I rather think it's completely analogous to wildlife preservation. If rhinos are worth preserving, then so is the uniqueness of (say) Bavarian culture. On the other hand, I have no problem treating some cultures (Islam) like smallpox.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Shatterface wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am
katamari Damassi wrote:

I was thinking more of Brive's 'Nobody seems to think it's an issue' complaint about black actors. I rate that that kind of complaint alongside the 'cultural appropriation' of sombreros and the like.

I don't see how we can scoff at people throwing hissy-fits over droopy moustaches, dragon tattoos and kimonos while at the same time crying 'white erasure' over a handful of black actors (usually the same four or five) doing Shakespeare or Doctor Who.
I'll be interested to see the response when Bollywood releases a movie where an Indian actor plays a Zulu warrior.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Bhurzum wrote: Let the title IX games begin...

You could have added some more bait to the click. Anything from:
Title IX creates a prisoner's dilemma: students have to file sexual misconduct complaints to avoid becoming the accused.
to:
Indeed, if you suspect you are going to become the subject of a Title IX investigation, the optimal strategy may very well be to file the first complaint. For reasons not completely clear to me, Title IX administrators often appear biased in favor of the initial complainant, and presume the other party is the wrongdoer.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:04 pm
File this under "So good it has to be fattening:"
So a grad student at Yale sees a black girl sleeping in the dorm's common area-which is not permitted-so she called the cops. REEEEEE! RACISM! COPS KILL BLACK PEOPLE! NEVER CALL THE COPS ON BLACK PEOPLE! WHITE PRIVILEGE!
The girl turned out to be a grad student who was taking a sleep break from a group all night study session.
Keep in mind that New Haven is a shithole and Yale is in a bad neighborhood- I visited my niece there 10 years ago and was afraid for my car-and the woman who called the cops never met this student before.
Well it turns out the woman who called the cops used to write for Adam Lee's blog. Adam has already made a groveling apology, but his horde isn't having it until he nonpersons her and wipes her blog entries from history.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... qus_thread
It's to late for Adam Lee to get his rep back. He has consorted with racists and given his blog as a platform for their bigotry. That makes him one of them and no amount of notpologies can make him pure again. It is past time to remove him from the social justice movement.
#AdamLeewhitesupremacist. He needs to be tossed from Patheos and permanently deplatformed. Come on gang, we need to get a campaign going!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote: The main thing I object to, going down the path we're currently on, is that the obvious outcome of this is that eventually the whole world will have one culture. I think something will be lost when that occurs.
I strongly disagree with this conclusion. There are unifying forces in cultural terms, but there are also creative ones. People likely thought that the influence of Roman culture would have brought forth One World Culture during the Roman Empire.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote: Holy shit, this will rustle some jimmies!

I has a sad.
Image1.gif
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

[quote=Lsuoma wrote: I has a sad.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:51 am
It seems that people need to "distance" themselves from undesirables, which includes not talking to or engaging them. If you actually want to make a difference, that is the very worst thing you can do. That's how the Democrats lost big. Changing minds, especially among the undecided and wavering means steelmanning your opponent, not panicking about laying pipes. It means acknowledging where they're right and pointing out where they're wrong. It means examining controversial positions.

I don't buy the idea that having a friendly exchange with somebody equals endorsement of their ideas. I can have breakfast in my hometown amongst rednecks that think Trump is a liberal and then have dinner amongst Seattle ultra-liberals. I don't endorse either. But ultimately we either have to get along or we're likely to head into an uncomfortable conflict.
Tim pool made a very good point related to this using an anecdote. He was trying to convince somebody that a public figure had made some extreme remarks at odds with the sanitised presentation he was now giving. Pool's social media searches for incriminating content he knew had existed came up blank, presumably because it had been scrubbed as hate speech, denying Pool an easy way to expose the guy. You get nowhere by "disappearing" controversial opinions or trying to exclude the audiences of the fringes from dialogue. If you exclude them from the mainstream it justifies their feelings of oppression and makes them more determined and strengthens in-group bonds.

katamari Damassi

Simon Pegg, after successfully destroying Star Trek, now wants to ruin the MCU. He wants to play Captain Britain.

http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/05/1 ... superhero/

Can't you SlymeBritters do something about him?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

katamari Damassi wrote: Simon Pegg, after successfully destroying Star Trek, now wants to ruin the MCU. He wants to play Captain Britain.

If he wants to do a superhero film he should do The Boys. Wee Hughie was modelled on him.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Alan Snackbar has been waving his stabby knives around Paris again.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-shot-dea ... s-11369887

Ramadan starts on Tuesday. :think:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

katamari Damassi wrote: Simon Pegg, after successfully destroying Star Trek, now wants to ruin the MCU. He wants to play Captain Britain.

I enjoyed the story where he fought Terry-Thomas and the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:

I enjoyed the story where he fought Terry-Thomas and the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.
I think I ate those mushrooms too.

free thoughtpolice

shoutinghorse wrote: Alan Snackbar has been waving his stabby knives around Paris again.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-shot-dea ... s-11369887

How do you know it wasn't just an angry virgin seething with toxic masculinity?
Ramadan starts on Tuesday. :think:

free thoughtpolice

Oops put the comment in a line too early. :oops:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Islamists are basically uncels anyway. And so are trans activists. They are apexes in the 'can't get a shag' triangle.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Shatterface wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am
katamari Damassi wrote:

I read Brive's point as being EXACTLY what you've said - he makes fun of the the fact these people whinge about cultural appropriation shit and then points out an example of someone doing the same to white people and being like, why is no one whinging about this?

Brive doesn't believe you have to be a certain colour to adapt to a country, either. I don't really understand what people are reading when they read his posts, it's like you're trying to find the most objectionable way of reading what he says.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Bhurzum wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 am
Let the title IX games begin...

That's how PZ got away with it. "Zoom" to the Dean's office, and get your version of events in first. Gets the other person (in the case of PZ, his rape victim) on the backfoot and defensive. What a mess US colleges have got themselves in!

:D