There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: David 'Moslem Vikings' McAfee addresses the moslem child bride for sale in Texas story. Can't help but get in a dig at christians before calling for us to 'gain a wider perspective.'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -marriage/

I'm sure the comments will soon be filled with tu quoque against Xians.
It seems that you were right. Some people just can't criticise Islam without bringing up Chistianity. But they rarely if ever do they bring up islam when they criticise Chistianity.
What with that pack of cultural relativists, I'd have been lucky to get even money on that bet.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 am
AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 pm
Lsuoma wrote: <snip>

Give it a rest, eh? You've claimed this over and over and over, and haven't demonstrated it. You didn't even answer my question.
Maybe you need to "wonderize" old Kirbmarc? I mean, after all, you'd never catch me flogging a dead horse or belabouring a point ... ;)
:o :o :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
<snip>
:-) Hope that didn't catch you with a mouth full of coffee - I'd hate to think that I might owe you a new keyboard and monitor ... ;-)
Nope. Not this time. A major victory given previous encounters.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: David 'Moslem Vikings' McAfee addresses the moslem child bride for sale in Texas story. Can't help but get in a dig at christians before calling for us to 'gain a wider perspective.'

It seems that you were right. Some people just can't criticise Islam without bringing up Chistianity. But they rarely if ever do they bring up islam when they criticise Chistianity.
What with that pack of cultural relativists, I'd have been lucky to get even money on that bet.
The relativism seems to go only one way.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Are the people who called Donald Trump racist for wondering why America was taking so many immigrants from shithole countries the same people who don't want white South Africans as immigrants?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Just hear Philip Kerr, author of the Bernie Gunther novels and other thrillers, has died. Only 61.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

And I thought Santorum was being mean to the student gun law protesters.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Kirbmarc wrote:

The same people who lambast fundamentalist Christians for believing Noah put two of each animal in the Ark say it is acceptable for Muslims to believe that Noah put two of each animal in the Ark because Christians also believe that.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Ape+lust wrote:
ERV wrote: Arnie is dying. Massive tumor in his abdomen, wasn't there a few weeks ago at his last checkup. Nothing can be done for him.
That's terrible, Abbie, I'm sorry. Keep hugging him.

I've lost 2 dogs in the past 3 years to cancer. I think dogs are some of the closest things to a miracle a human can experience. They just don't live long enough :(
Absolutely .. I had two bitches, Mother & Daughter, I had to get the mother put down when she got cancer of the stomach, she lost so much weight over such a short space (3 weeks) The vet said even an op would kill her considering her age (14) It broke my fucking heart and I don't mind admiting tears flowed that day. .. Five years later her daughter sadly managed to sneak out the house and went missing, after a week of putting up posters we were told she had been run over and taken to the nearest animal hospital where sadly she had died, heart broke again.
I love dogs but I just can't bring myself to get another knowing how awful it is when the enevatable happens.

Chin up ERV.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Bit of good news from vet-- his blood work is totally normal. Hasn't gotten to his liver or kidneys. We might have a bit more time with him (weeks?) than we feared yesterday...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

ERV wrote: Arnie is dying. Massive tumor in his abdomen, wasn't there a few weeks ago at his last checkup. Nothing can be done for him.
I am so very sorry. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you in this difficult time.

windy

Post by windy »

Damn. I'm sorry :cry:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:42 pm
Stankeye wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 am
I keep hearing that “assault rifle” is a made up meaningless word.

I haven’t googled it, but doesn’t that class include shorter barreled weapons, often lighter and with folding stocks, that can fire full or semi auto using full caliber ammunition contained in higher that prev. capacity magazines?

Like the German watsit from the last year of the war. Or even the M1. I thought the line was that the traditional long rifle was never used at its optimum extended effective range. Conscripts couldn’t hit anything too far away. Contacts occurred sub 50 metres as a rule. The 9mm MP40s and Russian Tommy Gun didn’t have even this medium range and didn’t have stopping power.

Ergo “assault rifles” like the AK and M16 while the British remained more old school with the semi auto, 20 round magazine, SLR.
Hopefully someone answered or you googled it, but Assault gun is the meaningless word. AR is as you have described with the addition of select fire, full auto. Since our (USA) semi-auto AR's don't have select fire they are technically not AR's so they came up with the "Assault Gun" ban, which banned various features. Anyways it's one of those silly talking points that comes up when they discuss AR's as the gun enthusiast will declare that it is not an AR since i does not have select fire, and assault guns is a made up word for scary black semi-auto rifle. Don't go down the gun control rabbit hole!
The counter argument is that:

AR15s especially ...

+ can be easily concealed due to their compact assault rifle construct
+ are designed to empty their magazines faster than hunting rifles due to an intentionally light trigger pull
+ have had this feature intentionally leveraged via provision of high capacity magazines
+ are designed to be visually attractive to emotionally challenged individuals. The Rambo effect.
+ are consequently fetishised with mods and bump stocks that indicate an unhealthy affectation
+ are not best of breed for either tradional single shot hunting or classic marksmanship due to shorter barrels and lighter ammo

If my son came home with an AR15 I would be asking questions.

I would argue that removing full auto no more diminishes an assault rifle than a woman is less ladylike for not being able to have children.

ButI could be wrong.
What if he came home with a SKS? (7.62x39mm) Never wanted an AR15 (.223) myself. I was also glad I never got an AK47 (7.62×39mm) when they were legal.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Everywhere they go, any old excuse. Rape Rape Rape

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I am very sorry. There is an innocent purity with dogs which is a good thing. Which also means it’s a very temporary thing. Commiserations. :(

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

SKS? Nah. That would be cool. Cold War cred, used for ceremonial duties still. Wooden stock rather than Batman black plastic. LARPing 1950s Korea rather than Florida nite-clubs.

Standard procedure though. The breach block can go into my safe until there is a legit use requiring a firing range.

I would love to have a decommissioned K98 and WW1 era 303 simply for their historical resonance.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I'm fucking gutted, Abbie. Arnie is the Pit mascot. Can't believe how quickly the past 5-6 years have gone. I have had two dogs, and on both occasions, had to "make the decision".

All the best.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote: Everywhere they go, any old excuse. Rape Rape Rape

Fuck me, I can't believe that shit. There's no what that would be tolerated on the BBC*

*From a white person.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

AndrewV69 wrote:
What if he came home with a SKS? (7.62x39mm) Never wanted an AR15 (.223) myself. I was also glad I never got an AK47 (7.62×39mm) when they were legal.
If he comes home with an SKS, you congratulate on his discriminating taste. More accurate than the AK 47, sturdy and an overall fine firearm. I have a Russian-made 1950 model with all-original bayonet, sling and more.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: Just hear Philip Kerr, author of the Bernie Gunther novels and other thrillers, has died. Only 61.
I just finished The Lady From Zagreb. The Gunther story arc was played out.

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote: SKS? Nah. That would be cool. Cold War cred, used for ceremonial duties still. Wooden stock rather than Batman black plastic. LARPing 1950s Korea rather than Florida nite-clubs.

Standard procedure though. The breach block can go into my safe until there is a legit use requiring a firing range.
I had a WW1 303 that I used for hunting deer. It still had the flip up calibrated sights for long range shots (never used them). I could shoot a 6" group at 100 yds with open sights,(not using scope). Probably wouldn't count as a war collector piece as I believe the magazine was altered.
I would love to have a decommissioned K98 and WW1 era 303 simply for their historical resonance.

free thoughtpolice

Fucked up the quote by inserting my comment into the second last and the last sentence of Brives' post. :drool:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Update after more tests today-- options for what's going on:
1-- massive tumor
2-- he is ELISA positive for a rare-but-becoming-more-common bacteria, lepto. (?) It's a spirochete. Vet couldn't believe it, ran the test on a hunch. 'Tumor' might be spleen flipping it's shit fighting bacteria
3-- both #1 and #2

#2 is treatable with antibiotics. But fuck if we are taking walkies in the woods ever again. It could also be a false positive, so more tests tomorrow.

In the meantime, took today off work. Went on two big walkies. Ate canned food, people food, and junk food all day in front of the TV, and got a car ride in. He is looking and acting a lot more 'normal', and his pee isn't the color of French ontion soup + borsht anymore, so I am cautiously optimistic about #2...

Really?

Post by Really? »

ERV - Neither of us believe my positive thoughts are magic, but I wish only the best for you and your precious canine. It is also interesting to read your perspective on what the vet said, seeing as how you are a super smart science person.

And Fascist Tit, you have my positive thoughts, too. You are valuable to all of us.

And John D, I am pleased you and the wife seem to be making some positive changes. It is not easy to change your life or diet, so your efforts are an admirable start.

Love to all the Pit crew.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Just hear Philip Kerr, author of the Bernie Gunther novels and other thrillers, has died. Only 61.
Agree. I bailed after five or six.

John D

Post by John D »

Really? wrote: ERV - Neither of us believe my positive thoughts are magic, but I wish only the best for you and your precious canine. It is also interesting to read your perspective on what the vet said, seeing as how you are a super smart science person.

And Fascist Tit, you have my positive thoughts, too. You are valuable to all of us.

And John D, I am pleased you and the wife seem to be making some positive changes. It is not easy to change your life or diet, so your efforts are an admirable start.

Thanks for the well wishes "Really?". It is kind of funny.... but when people say "I will pray for you", what it really means is that they care and hope for the best. Your post is sort of the same... which is good. And when I feel generous to my religious family and friends, I understand that what they are saying is that they care. Hmmmm....

I have been seeing a family counselor lately. He is a black man... which is a bit funny considering how many people think I am racist.... haha. He has been helping me sort things out. I tend to over-think things and he pokes me enough to bring out my best.

So.... here is a funny story. My counselor suggested I send my daughter some kind of present in the mail. Just a token that I love her. We have had a rough period as youall may remember. So, I sent some Tibetan Yak bone prayer beads to my daughter, son-in-law, and their "partner".... one bracelet to each. So, my daughter called and said that when they got the gift they thought "Hey... did Dad's therapist tell him to send a gift?" Haha.

Another story if anyone cares. I have been working on a demo truck to prove out some new technology for the last 6 months. Yesterday, during fault injection testing, a weird failure mode popped up and our engineers crashed the truck. No one was hurt, but we may have destroyed a $500,000 test vehicle. Wow... shit. One of our engineers was crying in the office today because he blamed himself.... and engineers don't cry very often. A bad week at work.....and this guy who was crying is a really authentic and smart guy. Really sad. I felt a bit like a therapist because I finally convinced him that this was not his fault (and it wasn't).

Anyway, I feel like I am on a good track in my life. Thanks to you all for you advice and humor.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive,

The AR is as accurate as you want to make it. Even the basic 18" barrel version is extraordinarily accurate; 16" is less common due to legality reasons in most places.

You can buy a variety of uppers in different calibres, like .224 Valkyrie and 6.5 Grendel, and you've got a 1000yd rifle.

Here in PA it's a very popular varmint and coyote rifle. It is not permitted for deer in .223, as it's not powerful enough.

It's far and away the most popular rifle in the US.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Also, trigger pull at standard spec is 4.5.5.5lbs. Just like most other rifles, but quite a bit heavier than many bolt-action guns.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Agree. I bailed after five or six.
Also last month read the 21st?? Bosch. They're all a blur now. Time for him to go bye-bye. Also not sure whether Connelly's virtue-signaling was always there, but it's become annoying of late.

Really?

Post by Really? »

John D wrote:
Really? wrote: ERV - Neither of us believe my positive thoughts are magic, but I wish only the best for you and your precious canine. It is also interesting to read your perspective on what the vet said, seeing as how you are a super smart science person.

Thanks for the well wishes "Really?". It is kind of funny.... but when people say "I will pray for you", what it really means is that they care and hope for the best. Your post is sort of the same... which is good. And when I feel generous to my religious family and friends, I understand that what they are saying is that they care. Hmmmm....

I have been seeing a family counselor lately. He is a black man... which is a bit funny considering how many people think I am racist.... haha. He has been helping me sort things out. I tend to over-think things and he pokes me enough to bring out my best.

So.... here is a funny story. My counselor suggested I send my daughter some kind of present in the mail. Just a token that I love her. We have had a rough period as youall may remember. So, I sent some Tibetan Yak bone prayer beads to my daughter, son-in-law, and their "partner".... one bracelet to each. So, my daughter called and said that when they got the gift they thought "Hey... did Dad's therapist tell him to send a gift?" Haha.

Another story if anyone cares. I have been working on a demo truck to prove out some new technology for the last 6 months. Yesterday, during fault injection testing, a weird failure mode popped up and our engineers crashed the truck. No one was hurt, but we may have destroyed a $500,000 test vehicle. Wow... shit. One of our engineers was crying in the office today because he blamed himself.... and engineers don't cry very often. A bad week at work.....and this guy who was crying is a really authentic and smart guy. Really sad. I felt a bit like a therapist because I finally convinced him that this was not his fault (and it wasn't).

Anyway, I feel like I am on a good track in my life. Thanks to you all for you advice and humor.
Yes, I think we are on the same page. There is no supernatural aspect, but we feel good when others point out that, yes, they care for us. Our humanity is validated in that way. All you can do for your child is show them continued love.

You did the same for that crying engineer. He needed to know that you and your colleagues love him and respect him in spite of perceived failure. He will likely process the experience and will deal psychologically with the failure more easily because of your empathy.

This is normal and healthy.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Sorry to hear that Abbie. He's one of the great dogs.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sulman wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm
Also, trigger pull at standard spec is 4.5.5.5lbs. Just like most other rifles, but quite a bit heavier than many bolt-action guns.
Maybe I’m channeling length of pull or recoi?

In my old ARes days I used early M-16s with cute 20 round magazines vs our standard 7.62 SLRs

The SLR was a beast and newbies got their bruised shoulders. Crazy shooting not recommended.

The M-16 felt like a toy. Light, no kick, you could hear the damn spring go “twangggg” against your ear. I could imagine pulling that trigger all day while yawning.

:think:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ERV wrote: Update after more tests today-- options for what's going on:
1-- massive tumor
2-- he is ELISA positive for a rare-but-becoming-more-common bacteria, lepto. (?) It's a spirochete. Vet couldn't believe it, ran the test on a hunch. 'Tumor' might be spleen flipping it's shit fighting bacteria
3-- both #1 and #2

#2 is treatable with antibiotics. But fuck if we are taking walkies in the woods ever again. It could also be a false positive, so more tests tomorrow.

In the meantime, took today off work. Went on two big walkies. Ate canned food, people food, and junk food all day in front of the TV, and got a car ride in. He is looking and acting a lot more 'normal', and his pee isn't the color of French ontion soup + borsht anymore, so I am cautiously optimistic about #2...
Reprieve for Arnie?

C'moo-o-o-on Arnie, make it so!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm
1-- massive tumor
3-- both #1 and #2

Reprieve for Arnie?

I’m not sure what that all meant but I saw the word “treatable”. That is a good word.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sulman wrote: Brive,

The AR is as accurate as you want to make it. Even the basic 18" barrel version is extraordinarily accurate; 16" is less common due to legality reasons in most places.

You can buy a variety of uppers in different calibres, like .224 Valkyrie and 6.5 Grendel, and you've got a 1000yd rifle.

Here in PA it's a very popular varmint and coyote rifle. It is not permitted for deer in .223, as it's not powerful enough.

It's far and away the most popular rifle in the US.
The old British line for the 303 way an effective (not maximum) range of 500-800 yards. I generally see M-16s placed at an effective range of 4-500 metres.

Add scopes, bipods and sundry and the effective range escalates for both. This was an interesting point in iron sights.
With Iron sights the limit is not how far the bullet will go with sufficent energy to kill or wound or the inherient accuracy of the rifle. The human eye in an average person with 20/20 vision is about 1 MOA http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResou...sualacuity.htm

That means an average sized person dressed in black on a pure white background will appear as a grayish dot at arround 1600-1800 yards.. and only detectable because of height, not width. Less than a full body presentation or less contrast between the body and the background will reduce the range if using open sights.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Another entry in my database of “teachers I never knew”

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Shit, ERV, I hope we're looking at option 2 here for Arnie...

Have to say I'm glad I read this page before I read the page before that... come on weird lepto thingy...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: Another entry in my database of “teachers I never knew”

If she were a man who had sex with a 13 year old girl, everyone would be calling for his head on a spike.

"But gender is just a social construct!"<Yeah, right. "But our society hates women, just hates them!"<A hatred so strong that they'll get away with statutory rape :bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Weird. Tommy Robinson’s twitter account is broken.

:think:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Allah is Gay! :lol:

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Wasn't sure what I was looking at but this tweet helped:

=>

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steven Pinker is currently on the Talk Show circuit (or the Internet version of it) to promote his new book 'Enlightenment Now'

I thought his interview with Nick Gillespie of Reason was interesting (Milo gets name-checked towards the end).

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote: Another entry in my database of “teachers I never knew”

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Works on a number of levels.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Does anyone honestly think that someone with enough screws loose to go on a mass killing rampage will upon not being able to get a gun, just shrug their shoulders, sigh and then decide to live a peaceful life?

No, the lunatic is going to find another way to take as many people with them as possible.

all this talk of guns and not a peep about the state ofmental health services and pass the buck parenting, school administration,social services/ police work.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

shoutinghorse wrote: I'm getting the impression they're enjoying their 15 minutes of fame just a little too much. :think:

https://i.imgur.com/oRZp4L6.png

strange observation, why is the blond young lady not wearing any shoes?

I know its the south and all, but c’mon.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Brive1987 wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm
1-- massive tumor
3-- both #1 and #2

Reprieve for Arnie?

I’m not sure what that all meant but I saw the word “treatable”. That is a good word.
Really?s thoughts and prayers worked!

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

This is the electronic equivelent of men in trliby's bundling you ino the back seat of a Volga.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Spike13 wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: I'm getting the impression they're enjoying their 15 minutes of fame just a little too much. :think:

I think she's dead, like Paul McCartney.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Shatterface wrote:
Spike13 wrote:

Maybe Joss Whedon directed the shoot?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
Nonsense - there is plenty of evidence that Paul McCartney is still alive.

http://www.gopusa.com/wp-content/upload ... nsbury.jpg

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Steven Pinker meets the Blank Slate.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

1-- massive tumor
3-- both #1 and #2

Leptospirosis? AKA Weil's disease? A spirochaete present in rodent piss, and not uncommon amongst sewer workers. At one time it was even odds if you fell in the Thames as to whether you would get it, and that's exactly what happened to the one patient I have seen with it. Dogs in contact with rats, mice, squirrels and chipmunks can get it. Causes jaundice and meningitis in humans, but I don't know how dogs can be affected, Responds well to simple penicillin.
The other 'L' word infection causing a big spleen is (visceral) Leishmaniasis, but I think you have to live in the middle east to get that from a sandfly. At one time it was common enough that there was a popular mode of assassination, by punching someone over the spleen with a rather lumpy knuckleduster, causing the spleen to rupture and death from hemorrhage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hemant posts a simple post about anti-vaxxers and the comments stream is already a shit-storm, with a believer in vaccination -> autism arguing with Spiritual Anthropologist -- who previously argued that acupuncture and ayurveda work. And not a few, including Shem the Penishead, argue it should be illegal to be anti-vax.

i'm liking the Us vs. Them Island idea more & more.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Sometimes parody accounts get way to near the truth.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

So you think you're having a bad day?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43571120
Image5.png
(771.1 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

shoutinghorse wrote: Sometimes parody accounts get way to near the truth.

Sometimes parody accounts can unwittingly get people booted from twitter.