There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Kirbmarc »

SM1957 wrote: Bread and dripping was a healthy and expensive food in the 1930s? Chips (French fries) had not been invented?

Didn't Popeye eat spinach while his fat friend ate hamburgers? Hamburgers are not recent.....
Unhealthy food wasn't as cheap during the Great Depression as it is now. Also healthy food wasn't as expensive, comparatively speaking.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OK.

Like, I have been giggling non-stop for 20 mins now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

SM1957 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Personal responsibility and social factors aren't always mutually exclusive, either. Being fat IS something that CAN be dealt with through changes in personal lifestyle. But brushing off an obesity epidemic with "they're all lazy and irrational" obscures things like the fact that cheap food is unhealthy, and that a lot of people eat cheap food because people their choices are limited by their income and lack of cooking skills, or of time to cook.

Saying that society is "fatphobic" and that fat people are poor snowflakes oppressed by the Thinarchy isn't going to help anyone, but neither is sweeping the issues of cheap, fat food under the carpet.
I don't recall many fat people during the Great Depression. Poverty does not cause obesity.

Time to cook and lack of cooking skills are much bigger factors. Women who go out to work don't spend as much time in the kitchen as women who stay at home.
During the Great Depression people ate (or often times didn't eat) and had access to different foods. Anyone who knows me knows I am a diabetic fat ass. Any one who has been keep up with my twitter feed (what's wrong with you) knows that I changed my diet to a ketogenic high fat, low card diet. It's hard to find foods that fit this. When you do find the foods it can get kinda expensive.

Fact of the matter is that most cheap foods lead toward being fat. BTW that can include beans and rice.

Society is not fatphobic. Society is consumed with appearance though. Even I, a middle age guy who doesn't give much of a fuck, feel self conscious from time to time. I can understand how a young woman can feel overwhelmed.

The trick of course is not to view the world with a victim's mentality. That's something that needs to be taught I think.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Salmon is quite expensive.

Why were people not stuffing themselves with dougnuts in the Great Depression and making themselves fat? Were they more expensive than salmon?

Lentils, oats, vegetables in general are cheaper than pizza.

You are correct that unhealthy food is cheaper than it ever was. That is because food in general is much cheaper.

So people eat more.

When I was young, nobody in my area had a fridge. So you couldn't raid the fridge.

And we couldn't store frozen pizzas or frozen beefburgers or cheesecake. So we didn't eat them.

Now, people have freezers and fridges. So they eat more unhealthy food because they can store frozen lasagne.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It might seem like a paradox, but poverty is correlated to obesity in the US and the UK. Poverty in the US or in the UK isn't like poverty in Ethiopia or in Afganistan. Poor people in the States and the United Kingdom still have enough money to eat, since those are rich countries. Not enough to eat well, though.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

AndrewV69 wrote: OK.

Trump brought it on himself when he had his cronies declare that his tweets were official policy.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Kirbmarc wrote: It might seem like a paradox, but poverty is correlated to obesity in the US and the UK. Poverty in the US or in the UK isn't like poverty in Ethiopia or in Afganistan. Poor people in the States and the United Kingdom still have enough money to eat, since those are rich countries. Not enough to eat well, though.
Your report says 'Others have highlighted the fact that eating well invariably involves more food preparation time. '

That , I'm sure, is the biggest factor.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I am not going to become the low carb crusader jackass but here is a short video on how people get fat and why we stay fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7KkyXnyB4

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Guest_3bc53337 wrote: I think Peterson would say it is because of the Judeo Christian tradition that lead to individual rights, so Dillahunty did not really come to those premises by reason alone.
Dogs are usually loving, loyal creatures , many of them that will put their lives on the line just like Jebus died for our sins. In my opinion most dogs have a sense of morality that is sometimes superior to Christian humans. Just about every major religion has some version of the golden rule and I suspect that principle has been apart of non-believers thought as well as that of the superstitious for a very long time.
In short I think the idea that religion is the basis for morality is crap and I'm surprised how many atheists have bought into it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

SM1957 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: It might seem like a paradox, but poverty is correlated to obesity in the US and the UK. Poverty in the US or in the UK isn't like poverty in Ethiopia or in Afganistan. Poor people in the States and the United Kingdom still have enough money to eat, since those are rich countries. Not enough to eat well, though.
Your report says 'Others have highlighted the fact that eating well invariably involves more food preparation time. '

That , I'm sure, is the biggest factor.
That also correlates with poverty. If you are doing shift work or part time cleaning you are unlikely to be home to cook a healthy breakfast or an evening meal for your kids and left to themselves they'll eat crap.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

SM1957 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Speaking of the death of British culture...

...I do not recall when I last saw some one deliberately pour their tea into the saucer and drink it from there.
I can . About 1979. My dad used to do it.
My Nan did this (and sometimes my mum does). So within the last 10 years for me.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Guest_3bc53337 wrote: I think Peterson would say it is because of the Judeo Christian tradition that lead to individual rights, so Dillahunty did not really come to those premises by reason alone.
Unless he can evidence the supernatural origins of said values, they are every bit as arbitrary as he would say Dillahunty's morals are.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote: I am not going to become the low carb crusader jackass but here is a short video on how people get fat and why we stay fat.

<no vid!>
Oh go on with your bad self. We've had threads for exercise and recipes - so if you have weight loss tips and links - it certainly couldn't hurt to start a new thread for them.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote: The right treats social groups like individuals and the SocJus treats individuals like social groups.
I think you might have the catchline of a decent book on modern politics there.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Kirbmarc wrote: Healthy diet costs three times that of junk food
Researchers examined almost 100 popular items of food, which is defined under Government criteria as healthy or not.

They found that 1,000 calories made up from healthy items, such as lean salmon, yoghurts and tomatoes, cost an average of £7.49 in 2012.

The same calorie intake from less healthy items, such as pizza, beef burgers, and doughnuts, could be purchased for an average of £2.50.

The gap between the two 1,000 calorie baskets is now £4.99, the research found, when ten years ago it was £3.88.
Cheap unhealthy food makes healthy food choices much less likely
Scientists from Drexel's Dornsife School of Public Health made this conclusion following an investigation on the effect that price difference has on diet quality in the US.

They examined data from 2,765 people, which was linked to food prices at supermarkets in their neighbourhoods.

The price of groceries was broken down into two groups: healthier and unhealthier. Healthier foods included dairy products, fruit and vegetables, while unhealthy foods included salty snacks, sweets and sugary beverages.

Participants' diet quality was calculated using the Healthy Eating Index-2010 (HEI-2010), developed by the United States Department of Agriculture.

The researchers discovered that, on average, healthier foods were nearly twice as expensive as unhealthy packaged foods, and as the gap between neighbourhood prices increased, participants were more likely to eat unhealthily.

For every 14 per cent increase in the healthy-to-unhealthy price ratio, the odds of participants eating a healthy diet dropped by 24 per cent, even after accounting for factors such as age, sex, income and education.

This impact was particularly strong among people in the middle ranges of income and wealth, and those with higher education.

"We originally expected to find the largest impact among individuals in the lowest wealth/income group. However, given the price gap that we found, healthy food may be too expensive for the lowest socioeconomic status group even at its most affordable," said co-lead author David Kern, PhD.
Years ago when I needed some extra cash, I got a second job working at a grocery store in Baltimore. The store was located at the crux of 3 neighborhoods, the marina-rich people-white and middle eastern, Little Central America-recent immigrants, and my neighborhood-a poor but beginning gentrification-mixed race. I noted that the poor Central Americans spent their money on beans and rice and produce, while the poor Americans-both black and white-spent their money on highly processed junk food. So whenever I hear about how poor people are obese because they're poor, I call bullshit.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Dogs are usually loving, loyal creatures , many of them that will put their lives on the line just like Jebus died for our sins. In my opinion most dogs have a sense of morality that is sometimes superior to Christian humans. Just about every major religion has some version of the golden rule and I suspect that principle has been apart of non-believers thought as well as that of the superstitious for a very long time.
In short I think the idea that religion is the basis for morality is crap and I'm surprised how many atheists have bought into it.
Unlike priests, a dog will stop humping your leg of you tell it no.

I don't buy religion is necessary for morality. If Peterson can draw moral guidance from Dostoyevsky without claiming Crime and Punishment is literally true I don't think we need to believe in God to find Bible stories instructive - but only in the sense we'd find fairy stories instructive.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote: I am not going to become the low carb crusader jackass but here is a short video on how people get fat and why we stay fat.

<no vid!>
Oh go on with your bad self. We've had threads for exercise and recipes - so if you have weight loss tips and links - it certainly couldn't hurt to start a new thread for them.
Low carb works. I've done it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: This is the same thing Matt Dillicunty is saying. Matt claims that reason make his ethics "self evident". This is not true and Dostoyevsky proves this in "Crime and Punishment".
The fundamental flaw in humanism -- at least the formulation thereof by the dipshits running the present American version -- is the total reliance on unestablished, assumed first principles. They don't even bother with a cartesian sleight of hand, much less the sort objective argument Sam Harris makes in The Moral Landscape. They simply declare that 'reason' provides certain fundamental truths which, it just so happens, conveniently correlate precisely to their own a priori socio-political beliefs!! It's no different in principle to the religion-based morals & ethics they seek to replace; the Revealed Truths merely come not from the mind of God, but rather from out their own asses.

free thoughtpolice

shoutinghorse wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 am
free thoughtpolice wrote: I understand that Slavic countries have giant surpluses of hot women that look like god candidates for making beautiful babies.
The Nazis considered Slavs to be a race one step removed from the dirty Jew.
When I was growing up long ago in a much whiter Canada the refugees we had were mostly postwar Europeans. D.P.s or displaced persons as it were. A lot of them were Slavs. You know, Polacks and bohunks. As a mixed Greek/Ukrainian Faith Goldy's parents would have had some good German/Canadians at the border taunting them as they entered like she is doing now to the brown people.
I remember our next door neighbor, an ex German soldier that was a genuine trad life type that worked hard, prayed a lot, and was a strict parent with a stay at home wife to bring up their kids. They would all sit around the dinner table while he would preach God and politics.
I remember one day in particular, I was about 10 years old and just beginning to come to the conclusion that God didn't exist and was talking with one of the kids right after supper time sermon and he said something to the effect of " Did you know that Russians are really horrible people? They don't even believe in God!".
Those were the good old days.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

DrokkIt wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Speaking of the death of British culture...

...I do not recall when I last saw some one deliberately pour their tea into the saucer and drink it from there.
I can . About 1979. My dad used to do it.
My Nan did this (and sometimes my mum does). So within the last 10 years for me.
I had a horse who'd tip over my coffee mug and slurp up the coffee. Does that count?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

DrokkIt wrote:
Unless he can evidence the supernatural origins of said values, they are every bit as arbitrary as he would say Dillahunty's morals are.
It may be like hunting leprechauns - where you can only see them out of the corner of your eye. If people require structure (or at least the illusion of it) - it really doesn't work it there are people going around saying that man is completely naked with his willie out. (None of this is new - we're all familiar with courtiers and emperors by now).

And if you have staked at least part of your repution on the value of free speech - it becomes really difficult to explicitly state that you think other people should shut up because what they have to say is damaging.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

<no vid!>
Beans and Rice are not low carb.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: "We originally expected to find the largest impact among individuals in the lowest wealth/income group. However, given the price gap that we found, healthy food may be too expensive for the lowest socioeconomic status group even at its most affordable," said co-lead author David Kern, PhD.
Years ago when I needed some extra cash, I got a second job working at a grocery store in Baltimore. The store was located at the crux of 3 neighborhoods, the marina-rich people-white and middle eastern, Little Central America-recent immigrants, and my neighborhood-a poor but beginning gentrification-mixed race. I noted that the poor Central Americans spent their money on beans and rice and produce, while the poor Americans-both black and white-spent their money on highly processed junk food. So whenever I hear about how poor people are obese because they're poor, I call bullshit.
Obese cuz they can't afford good food? Yeah, it's bullshit. The poor, especially poor blacks, have atrocious eating & food prep habits. Just this week, I made myself a stew of lamb neck, potatoes, yams, onions & carrots. It was tasty, nutritious, cheap, and simple to make.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Trump brought it on himself when he had his cronies declare that his tweets were official policy.
The natural and utterly predictable next step.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Obese cuz they can't afford good food? Yeah, it's bullshit. The poor, especially poor blacks, have atrocious eating & food prep habits. Just this week, I made myself a stew of lamb neck, potatoes, yams, onions & carrots. It was tasty, nutritious, cheap, and simple to make.
That sounds good except for the potatoes, yams, onions, and carrots. All foods that can make a type 2 diabetic fatter.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

The natural and utterly predictable next step.
Of course.

It'd have been funnier if this happened at the time of the BlockBot.

free thoughtpolice

comhcinc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
That sounds good except for the potatoes, yams, onions, and carrots. All foods that can make a type 2 diabetic fatter.
What can you eat besides meat and green vegetables? Can't eat onions?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
What can you eat besides meat and green vegetables? Can't eat onions?
I try to keep my carb count around 20 carbs a day. That btw has but my diabetus into remission. I stick with high fat, moderate protein, low or no carb foods.

So meats, eggs, green vegs all good. I can eat very little onions, like 1/4 of a small onion. I use onion powder instead. No fruit, no beer (hard liquor is fine). I do intermittent fasting a couple days a week and have even done a couple of 3 day fast.

Keto Coffee is Fucking Amazing.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Lulz are in the offing.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote: Lulz are in the offing.
https://media.giphy.com/media/Bao5PqhWr5tcs/giphy.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....she really is awful.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

<no vid!>
Beans and Rice are not low carb.
Some of you remember that my wife was diagnosed with diabetes two months ago. We have both been eating low carb (as much as we can stand).

Now it happens that I don't enjoy high carb foods as much as my wife. She realllllly realllly likes high carb foods. Say we are having steak, potatoes, and green beans. I will eat much of the steak first, then switch to the beans, then nibble on the potato. My wife will practically finish her entire potato before she eats anything else. This is an interesting test to see what kind of food you prefer.... high fat or high carb.

So, I claim (to myself) that I had an excellent diet day when I keep my carbs below 20. I do this about three times a week I think. A good day is one where I keep below 40 which happens about 3 times a week. About once a week I blow way past 40..... so this is my cheat day. This often results in my getting super tired and wanting to take a nap. You can really tell when your blood sugar spikes... and then your insulin spikes.

My wife almost never stays below 20 grams for one day. She is getting better, but it is way harder for her. We are both losing about a pound a week.

Mostly, we are trying this diet based on the concept in the video above. The trick is to maintain a low glycogene level so the body has low insulin levels so you can burn fat. The other benefit is the lower blood sugar levels reduce the inflammation effect of diabetes and reduce insulin resistance. So, our hope is that my wife's HA1c is much lower at her next checkup.

It doesn't take much to get to 20 grams of carbs in a day. Meats and green veg have zero carbs generally. Other veg like carrots and beets will usually have about 2 grams (maybe more). Potatoes and corn and the like will use the whole 20 grams with one serving. Even fruit can add quiet a bit with foods like apples easily adding 5 grams. One beer is over 20 grams and a glass of dry wine is about 2. So, I still have some wine and booze is free... but I never drink beer anymore. I eat lots of eggs, cheese, meat, nuts, green veg. No bread, corn, rice, potatoes, etc. When I finally do eat a piece of bread it takes like candy... haha.

I think I spend twice as much at the grocery store on this diet. I also spend some time cooking more often.

and finally... a coworker is on a low carb diet and it has helped his diabetes so much he stopped needing insulin. Wow.... that's a big deal.

John D

Post by John D »

This is a good guide to what foods are low and high in carbs. For example, it turns out the berries are much lower in carbs than grapes.... (grapes are the worst!)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Com.... I can't believe we are on the same "diet". haha. Great minds and all.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Awesome John D! I can tell you that supporting your wife is great. Here is a couple of resources for people looking to get more info.

2 Keto Dudes A great podcast that covers keto in a easy to understand way.

The Big Fat Surpise Great well sourced book on the subject on how we got to this point.

Guest_3bc53337

Post by Guest_3bc53337 »

I think Peterson talks about religion because he thinks that religious stories are the ones that have survived over time and have their start in the far (in evolutionary terms) past. I think that's where the Jung connection comes in, but I'm no expert.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Jordan Peterson...Meh. He has some good points, he has some bad points. Mostly he seems about selling himself, which he has figured out to do very well. Make sure you buy his book, take his personality test, and support him on patreon.

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 am

Oh how vibrant we are in thought. “Hate speech”. :bjarte:

Bear, you been moonlighting?
Yup. That was me that got her tossed off patreon. She needs to marry a real white man instead of that mud person she's been seeing, forget her "career" and start pumping out white babies. If she needs money her husband will provide it for her. She's almost 30 already, time to start a litter.
I do have some misgivings about how white she is though so it would be a good thing to give her a DNA test before she is allowed to breed.
There must be a reason she is so afraid of doxing. During a piss up session with some of her fellow "journalists" :lol: she is apparently almost brought to tears when asked why her mystery man doesn't marry her. As a good Catholic girl she has stated that she won't put out until marriage, and as such obviously won't bear any crotchfruit.
http://www.canadalandshow.com/rebel-med ... isemitism/

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote: Jordan Peterson...Meh. He has some good points, he has some bad points. Mostly he seems about selling himself, which he has figured out to do very well. Make sure you buy his book, take his personality test, and support him on patreon.
and clean your room!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote: Jordan Peterson...Meh. He has some good points, he has some bad points. Mostly he seems about selling himself, which he has figured out to do very well. Make sure you buy his book, take his personality test, and support him on patreon.
You had a similar complaint about Sargon. And look how wrong you were there!

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Anyone still think Britain hasn't become a police state? :think:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
You had a similar complaint about Sargon. And look how wrong you were there!
I know right! Like that guy has sooooooooooo many post here and is always bring up the good points made on the pit on his videos....

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Right, and how do most people develop Type 2 Diabetes in the first place?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

shoutinghorse wrote: Anyone still think Britain hasn't become a police state? :think:

We don't have the full facts yet, dude. One of the cops said she was being arrested for perverting the course of justice. This could be about a matter completely unrelated to the park incident.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

John D wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm
This is a good guide to what foods are low and high in carbs. For example, it turns out the berries are much lower in carbs than grapes.... (grapes are the worst!)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Com.... I can't believe we are on the same "diet". haha. Great minds and all.
Hah! Service Dog gave us that info I think in 2016. I lost 40lbs last year.

---sorry for the PSA--

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Thanks so much for returning to the 'Pit to provide us with this thoughtful, in-depth, and well-researched analysis. Now we can all stop wasting our time discussing this obvious grifter, and move on to things like which fad diet works best.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Thanks so much for returning to the 'Pit to provide us with this thoughtful, in-depth, and well-researched analysis. Now we can all stop wasting our time discussing this obvious grifter, and move on to things like which fad diet works best.
I missed you too Matt.

Guest_b8931fdb

Post by Guest_b8931fdb »

followup:

seems to be about an 'assault and homophobic attack" she committed 4 months ago about pushing a guy she said "have a gay day" who then confronted her about it, and when that blew up into a thing, she spoke to a witness about why the witness apparently gave a different story to the police. (perversion of justice, I guess)

Really?

Post by Really? »

Another interesting angle. If Facebook and Twitter are inherent First Amendment public spaces, then the private companies can't keep people out, can they? Private companies can't prevent someone from shouting in Speaker's Corner...only the government can. (At least in the US. Limeys have some strange laws.)

Further, the ruling seems to indicate participation is a right, as anyone can see blocked tweets by going into incognito mode.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Really? wrote: Another interesting angle. If Facebook and Twitter are inherent First Amendment public spaces, then the private companies can't keep people out, can they? Private companies can't prevent someone from shouting in Speaker's Corner...only the government can. (At least in the US. Limeys have some strange laws.)

Further, the ruling seems to indicate participation is a right, as anyone can see blocked tweets by going into incognito mode.
Not really, Trump's tweets are considered public communications from a government official. That puts them in a whole different legal category than a private citizen's tweets.

Guest_b8931fdb

Post by Guest_b8931fdb »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 pm
Not really, Trump's tweets are considered public communications from a government official. That puts them in a whole different legal category than a private citizen's tweets.
I think you're right, but as one lawyer who "called it" months ago, tweeted,

also

I have no idea if Rekieta is right or not, all I know is that I find some of his "lawsplainers with alcohol" videos enlightening.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Tigzy wrote: We don't have the full facts yet, dude. One of the cops said she was being arrested for perverting the course of justice. This could be about a matter completely unrelated to the park incident
Yep, I get that fella, my main concern was how she was treated by the police for what was clearly a misdemeanour or at worse a non violent crime, perverting the course of justice. She was obviously known to them, she is hardly the type of person who was going to violently resist arrest (she needs the use of a walking stick) yet two coppers go round her house and demand she open the door without telling her she was to be arrested even after her clearly asking if that was what they were going to do. She had every right not to open the door without them telling her they had a warrant or her arrest.

I hope she sues their fucking arse off.

Really?

Post by Really? »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 pm
Really? wrote: Another interesting angle. If Facebook and Twitter are inherent First Amendment public spaces, then the private companies can't keep people out, can they? Private companies can't prevent someone from shouting in Speaker's Corner...only the government can. (At least in the US. Limeys have some strange laws.)

But how can I communicate with my public officials if I can't Tweet them? How can I read their communications if I don't have an account?

(Yes, the answer is that I could write letters, send carrier pigeons, etc. But that journalist who couldn't talk to Trump had all of those options, too, and could easily view his tweets.)

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

SM1957 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 am
Bread and dripping was a healthy and expensive food in the 1930s? Chips (French fries) had not been invented?

Didn't Popeye eat spinach while his fat friend ate hamburgers? Hamburgers are not recent.....
Its intersectional & can't be oversimplified like that. Popeye had a fast metabolism & burned lots of calories working on a ship, where he presumably ate lots of clean, healthy seafood.

Wimpy was older & retired & probably didn't do much outside of sleeping in & listening to radio programs. Bluto was an unemployed serial rapist who lived with his Italian or Greek mother who fed him tons of bread & pasta.

Olive Oyl seemed to be an unattached spinster & likely lived close to the margins, overworked & underfed. She stressed herself even thinner worrying about Bluto jumping out & dragging her off behind some dumpster.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Just before I go to bed, I'll leave you this. .. full interview will probs be up in a day or two. :D

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Years ago I heard a dietitian being interviewed on the radio. She had decided to see if she could feed her family in a nutritionally sound way on the budget provided by welfare in 1980's Canada. She reported that she could, but only with enormous effort and time (searching out bargains and cooking everything from basic ingredients) and using her specialised knowledge. The average welfare recipient is likely to buy plastic bread and Kraft Dinner, and thus becomes the modern equivalent of the 19th century Irishman. BTW, you can actually live on potatoes alone, but in order to get enough of some nutrients you will have to eat so much you will be fat, pale and still somewhat protein deficient.
Odd diets have always been a fascination for me - not so much the latest fad for easy weight loss, but what can you eat and be healthy on. I experimented for a few years with rice, beans and corn, and it was certainly possible and cheap, but hard to make it interesting. Prior to that as a student, I was lucky enough to live in the days of grants, which supported you for 30 weeks of the year. Pity that med students worked 48 weeks of the year. I stretched my budget to make it last all 48 weeks, which meant £5 a week for food - this was mid-1970's. I hung around street markets at 5pm on a Saturday when they would be nearly giving away the vegetables that wouldn't make it to Monday. Good times, but I was permanently hungry (and skinny!) It may be that my fascination derived from the fact my mother learned all her cooking during WW2 and the rationing that continued afterwards. Some tricks from those days are still with us - I made a steamed chocolate pudding today and substituted lots of grated carrot for 3/4 of the sugar that would have to be used otherwise. She was very fond of the post-war pudding sensation of whipped evaporated milk and jelly that made 'fluff'. I bet no one makes that any more.
It's amazing what was possible on the restricted diet, and of course people got healthier as they were forced to eat healthy foods given the less healthy were mostly on ration. Two recommendations for those interested:
- search YouTube for episodes of 'The Wartime Kitchen and Garden' to get a hint of the kind of tricks people used to stretch the ration
- the best book I have ever read on the subject is The Taste of War by Lizzie Collingham, which goes into the various ways in which different countries handled food shortages in WW2, what worked, what didn't and so on. It sounds a bit boring, but it's really very interesting.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Easy J wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 am
Bread and dripping was a healthy and expensive food in the 1930s? Chips (French fries) had not been invented?

Its intersectional & can't be oversimplified like that. Popeye had a fast metabolism & burned lots of calories working on a ship, where he presumably ate lots of clean, healthy seafood.

Wimpy was older & retired & probably didn't do much outside of sleeping in & listening to radio programs. Bluto was an unemployed serial rapist who lived with his Italian or Greek mother who fed him tons of bread & pasta.

Olive Oyl seemed to be an unattached spinster & likely lived close to the margins, overworked & underfed. She stressed herself even thinner worrying about Bluto jumping out & dragging her off behind some dumpster.
At least someone is prepared to answer the pressing questions of the day. (If the day is 80 - 90 years ago).

In any case - "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

free thoughtpolice

Easy J wrote:
Judging by his oddly shaped forearms I think Popeye did more than have a healthy diet and haul a lot of crab pots. :think:

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

John D wrote:
and clean your room!
Has J.B. Peterson said anything which is both noteworthy and true? At this point, I don't even care if he cribbed it.