Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find...

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find...

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 pm

More than likely, Satan chose 3 goofy frat boys from each wannabe animal house and were instructed that after they sold their souls they would tell any suspicious people that devil's triangle was either 3 way sex with 2 (probably gay) dudes and one drunken chick. Or a drinking game? :roll:
I mean as a teenager me and my friends had our own stupid words for things. As he is a big fan of beer (he likes beer, maybe he liked it a little too much) It seems plausible that it's a drinking game. 19 year comhcinc spent a lot of his time playing quarters and crazy 8 and while he was getting laid plenty he was into banging chics with other dudes around.
If you were in a job interview and you were asked if you had or have had a drinking problem you would get belligerent and go how about YOU?
Have you had a drinking problem? Think you would or should get the job?
If I was simply asked the question no. If there were was a lot of people online, and in newspapers and on tv all screaming that I was a ranging drunk unfit for office, then yeah I can see being upset and belligerent about it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:

More than likely, Satan chose 3 goofy frat boys from each wannabe animal house and were instructed that after they sold their souls they would tell any suspicious people that devil's triangle was either 3 way sex with 2 (probably gay) dudes and one drunken chick. Or a drinking game? :roll:
I mean as a teenager me and my friends had our own stupid words for things. As he is a big fan of beer (he likes beer, maybe he liked it a little too much) It seems plausible that it's a drinking game. 19 year comhcinc spent a lot of his time playing quarters and crazy 8 and while he was getting laid plenty he was into banging chics with other dudes around.
If you were in a job interview and you were asked if you had or have had a drinking problem you would get belligerent and go how about YOU?
If I was simply asked the question no. If there were was a lot of people online, and in newspapers and on tv all screaming that I was a ranging drunk unfit for office, then yeah I can see being upset and belligerent about it.
I hate to have to tell you Com, but your chances of being elected to the SCOTUS are slim at best.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

ConcentratedH2O OM wrote:
That sounds very much like "hyp-ma-tizing" at 17:21. Horse, where do you find such bullshit? Is there a secret part of the web where they store this kind of moronic "long words not quite used correctly" pseudo-intelligent gobshite? Christ, the kind of hillbilly filth that would listen to this and nod along in sage agreement, it makes me sick to think of them.
:lol: He might have seen it on the Brett Kavanaugh is innocent and anybody that disagrees thinks Stollznow didn't lie thread and was posted by Jeb D. Fear not though, I posted 2 liberal body language experts that proved that Ford is a saint and K is a lying rapist and probably a serial killer.
It's pretty obvious when he crinkles up his nose and blubbers in rage.

free thoughtpolice

commie wrote:
The ultimate question being would you get the job, which I will answer for you. No.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

I hate to have to tell you Com, but your chances of being elected to the SCOTUS are slim at best.
Well they have just got slimmer Com, as someone has come forward with an allegation......

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 am

You know I would be a good candidate. I believe in the constitution and the bill of rights. I enjoy the law. I look good in black. I can seat on high and lord over my superiority with the best of them.

...I am not above taking a bribe for a good cause.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:16 am
]

Well they have just got slimmer Com, as someone has come forward with an allegation......
They are almost certainly true and unlike some assholes I admit and there are probably pictures to prove it.

free thoughtpolice

Ape+lust wrote: Well, Peez has caught whiff of Strumia.

http://archive.is/FpZZR

Did Strumia say anything about race? Right out of the gate, Peez pegged him as a white supremacist.

He's also scorning his grammar, calling his writing incoherent. An Italian guy writing in English. Peez should rebut him in Italian.

The harshest bit -- Peez participated in 3 job searches last year and Alessandro Strumia wouldn't have qualified for any of them.

So, Mr Strumia's career will probably peak in Geneva and not Morris, Minnesota. He'll just have to live with it.
From the comments:
nathanieltagg
1 October 2018 at 12:18 pm

I so do hope he’s punished. We don’t need physicists like him. Up until now, I’ve encountered only the mildest sexism in physics. (Mostly old-guard men who admitted to admiring women student’s bodies. Bad! But not like this guy. Everyone I know in that category has retired.)

This crap is beyond the pale. His appointment at CERN is actually the least of our issues -he’s a professor at an Italian institute, and I fear for those students. He’s a sexist asshole, and should be shamed and fired for publicly supporting these stupid ideas.

Meanwhile, my current experimental collaboration has two women co-spokespeople who have done an awesome job of making the environment welcome and inclusive, and so the experiment has attracted a lot of smart young women physicists.

Strumia is not “one of those physicists”. He’s “one of those MEN” and I can’t wait to be rid of him and his ilk.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Also, somebody clear up this Kavanaugh mystery. https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article ... ssion=true That alone should give anyone pause before supporting this man. Unless, of course, you've already made your mind up.
It's come up already here. He received financial help from his family./quote]
A thin excuse that may or may not be true. My family is fairly wealthy, but if I asked for a couple hundred grand for baseball tickets, they'd probably bust a gut laughing. Then they'd release the hounds. Again.
If it's true then it's not thin. And for him to have received financial assistance from an undisclosed non-family source, which is the only interpretation that impacts his fitness to be confirmed, he would have to have omitted this from a mandatory disclosure, which would be clearly impeachable. Seems an untenable risk especially given that unless the benefactor was an organized crime figure or someone involved in one of his cases, it would have only marginally hurt his confirmation prospects if he/she was disclosed. Also, it would have to have gotten through FBI background checks, and this is exactly the sort of thing they are looking for.

"a couple hundred grand for baseball tickets"!? Yet another egregious example of framing circumstances in the most uncharitable light possible by Kavanaugh detractors. The linked article says nothing of the sort. He had a total debt of $200,000, and the article speculates the amount due to baseball tickets might be in the tens of thousands. And if he's telling the truth about the tickets being for a group and he would soon be reimbursed for most of it, which is completely realistic, this would have been a short-term debt only, with the reimbursement part of what paid back the debt.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote: You know I would be a good candidate. I believe in the constitution and the bill of rights. I enjoy the law. I look good in black. I can seat on high and lord over my superiority with the best of them.

...I am not above taking a bribe for a good cause.
Sold! I'll be voting for you...

...though I'm not sure how much that will help.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

comhcinc wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:
]

They are almost certainly true and unlike some assholes I admit and there are probably pictures to prove it.
Actually I misheard the rumour. They came forward with an alligator...

free thoughtpolice

InfraRedBucket wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:
]

I heard that one too. Isn't commie form somewhere near Florida?

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Lol.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Again, while you have some evidence about the Democrat senators, you're still visiting their intentions. Possibly entirely correctly, but still a presumption. They gave a plausible explanation that may be entirely correct.
No, I have evidence and I'm basing a very strong probabilistic conclusion on the evidence. By your standard, if I don't have a deductively valid argument with unassailably true premises, which is basically always in the real world, I'm open to being accused of mind reading or making some other untenable assumption while reaching my conclusion. And what exactly is the plausible counter-explanation? That Ford wanted privacy despite sending a letter to the Washington Post earlier, and Democrats honored this until BOOM, the accusation magically and mistakenly got leaked from Feinstein's office at the precise time to cause maximum chaos. All while setting up Ford with a lawyer whose main credential is that she's a partisan activist. You think that argument stands up?
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Kavanaugh was chosen because he's pro-life, but most especially because the little toady believes sitting presidents are above the law. That is the main reason he was chosen.
Nope, he wrote in a law review article that he believes the best statutory policy is to defer prosecution until they are out of office, meaning that he believes the best process for dealing with an accused president is first impeachment and removal, or failing that the end of the term, then prosecution, and that this needs to be done statutorially by Congress, not judicially. He stated this in 2009, so with a Democrat in office and obviously not anticipating anything to do with Trump. In context, this was criticism of the Starr independent prosecutor process which he participated in, so it was the opposite of partisan.
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: And complaining about the timing of the Democrats move when Republicans have been sitting on information...hmmm...again, people failing at the Democrats seem entirely complacent about the Republicans. Odd, that.
OK, I give up. What are you talking about? Given your history on this topic I'll assume for the time being that it's something trivially minor and only tangentially related or you're not representing the facts accurately.

some guy

Post by some guy »

Update from The Orbit:

You may recall that only three (of the 24) Orbit blogs put up at least one substantive post in August (8 total posts all together), garnering 0 (zero; zilch; nadda) reader comments. September continues the downward trend. Just 2 blogs had such a post last month, and the overall network total was 4 posts. On the positive side, 2 of those posts managed to garner a single reader comment (so although it's a 50% decline in # of posts, an infinite increase in reader interaction.)

Ania had three posts, which she usually puts up within a short period of time each month so she can collect her $45 in patreon cash. But at least she is helping all the others by getting something up so that all the other bloggers can also get their share of that advertising revenue stream that they all depend on.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:21 am

I heard that one too. Isn't commie form somewhere near Florida?
Atlanta.

But I'm from North Alabama

free thoughtpolice

Jugheadnaut wrote:
Nope, he wrote in a law review article that he believes the best statutory policy is to defer prosecution until they are out of office, meaning that he believes the best process for dealing with an accused president is first impeachment and removal, or failing that the end of the term, then prosecution, and that this needs to be done statutorially by Congress, not judicially. He stated this in 2009, so with a Democrat in office and obviously not anticipating anything to do with Trump. In context, this was criticism of the Starr independent prosecutor process which he participated in, so it was the opposite of partisan.
He has gone past that and said that the president can't be investigated for criminal activities either. Which means the FBI or whatever agency can't investigate the president while he is in office and have to wait until he finishes his term before gathering evidence. From my understanding that is the point that the dems have a problem with, not whether they are able to indict a sitting president.
“With that in mind, it would be appropriate for Congress to enact a statute providing that any personal civil suits against presidents, like certain members of the military, be deferred while the President is in office. The result the Supreme Court reached in Clinton v. Jones — that presidents are not constitutionally entitled to deferral of civil suits — may well have been entirely correct; that is beyond the scope of this inquiry. But the Court in Jones stated that Congress is free to provide a temporary deferral of civil suits while the President is in office. Congress may be wise to do so, just as it has done for certain members of the military. Deferral would allow the President to focus on the vital duties he was elected to perform.

“Congress should consider doing the same, moreover, with respect to criminal investigations and prosecutions of the President. In particular, Congress might consider a law exempting a President — while in office — from criminal prosecution and investigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or defense counsel. Criminal investigations targeted at or revolving around a President are inevitably politicized by both their supporters and critics. As I have written before, ‘no Attorney General or special counsel will have the necessary credibility to avoid the inevitable charges that he is politically motivated — whether in favor of the President or against him, depending on the individual leading the investigation and its results.’ The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis.”

Notice this is couched in terms of things Congress “should

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

free thoughtpolice wrote: From the comments:
nathanieltagg
1 October 2018 at 12:18 pm

I so do hope he’s punished. We don’t need physicists like him. Up until now, I’ve encountered only the mildest sexism in physics. (Mostly old-guard men who admitted to admiring women student’s bodies. Bad! But not like this guy. Everyone I know in that category has retired.)

This crap is beyond the pale. His appointment at CERN is actually the least of our issues -he’s a professor at an Italian institute, and I fear for those students. He’s a sexist asshole, and should be shamed and fired for publicly supporting these stupid ideas.

Meanwhile, my current experimental collaboration has two women co-spokespeople who have done an awesome job of making the environment welcome and inclusive, and so the experiment has attracted a lot of smart young women physicists.

Strumia is not “one of those physicists”. He’s “one of those MEN” and I can’t wait to be rid of him and his ilk.
Jeezus. A day doesn't go by without them wanting someone fired, punched, or pilloried. And that's been a constant for 7 YEARS now :shock:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Maybe it was in part that she reported it immediately rather than wait 35 years. And FFS, a hyperskepticism charge. What is this, Pharyngula circa 2014?
You're right. It is Pharyngula 2014, only instead of believe the victims we automatically disbelieve them. It doesn't even matter that the other person in the room has left town apparently to avoid testifying under oath.
What a complete strawman. Where I have said anything that could remotely lead anyone to believe I'm automatically 'disbelieving a victim'. On the contrary, I said it was very plausible, which I'll upgrade to likely, that she did experience a sexual assault event similar to what she's describing. I gave precise reasons why I believe it's far more likely that her belief in Kavnaugh's participation is a case of mistaken identity or a false memory than it is accurate. That said, I can't rule out it's a straight out lie, with the motivation being she bought into the idiot's pabulum of Kavanaugh's seating on the Court leading to the actualization of The Handmaid's Tale in the U.S. And so now she wants to be a hero. But I think this is less likely than other explanations.

The "person that left town" had already made a statement under oath denying the allegation, and he agreed very shortly after the investigation was announced to participate.
free thoughtpolice wrote: As to his Devil's Triangle being a drinking game, there isn't really a way to disprove this. If he wanted to prove it though, that would be possible. Get several of people he has played the game with to confirm that under oath or at least some media types do some interviews and see if they can find anybody. Or that believed boof meant fart. Or that FFFFFirst of July was about a speech tic. Or that Renate Alumnius beside the picture of the football team meant those fellows were good platonic friends of hers, and not making a joke about her being a slut.
I watched most of the hearings and I have to say there was some other non yearbook related stuff he said that sounded kind of dubious and could very well catch him in a lie or two.
We'll see what happens.
Unless Devil's Triangle is his own private vernacular, his statement that it was a drinking game would be disprovable to any reasonable standard of doubt. He wrote it for his yearbook blurb so clearly it's something he expected his friends to understand and isn't private. So interview this circle, under penalty of perjury, and see if they agree and can describe the exact mechanics of the game consistently. They can do similarly with the other yearbook stuff, but it's all so weak it's barely worth taking seriously, especially given his explanation they were going for a sophomoric Animal House comedic vibe.

Even if the most salacious interpretation of the yearbook language is assumed it doesn't link him to the accusation, just hints that he led a double life and could have been the sort of person to do what he is accused. Of course, it has a life of it's own now because if the salacious interpretation is true, his claim that he wasn't sexually active until well after high school is a lie under oath, emphatically made, which would rightly doom his nomination. I find it exceedingly unlikely he was lying here because it opens up so many more avenues to perjury than previously existed. Now, if he is lying and actually had a wild, sexually active life through high school and college, there are likely a string of women he slept with and if any has a letter he wrote that refers to sex or can even recall a hotel where they stayed together that could be proved from credit card records, it would be game over. I find the odds close to zero that he would open himself up to this vs. just admitting he led a wild life in his youth which he left behind long ago.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dr Warren J. Blumenfeld wonders aloud: Why aren't social justice warriors given the same high regard as military veterans? Are they not veterans too?

I guess he missed the story of Melody Hensley, the Twitter vet who rage-called the commanding officers of soldiers who told her to go jump in a sewer :lol:

https://imgur.com/CPe1kHF.png

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/09/tim ... n-veteran/

He's getting shellacked on Twitter:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

As he should. Fuck.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Notice this is couched in terms of things Congress “should
His mentioning of Congress isn't couching, it's critical to the understanding of the piece. As an originalist, he doesn't believe in legislating preferred policy from the bench. When he says Congress should, the implication is the Court shouldn't. This is a Law Review article, and if he believed there was some Constitutional basis for limiting a sitting President's exposure to investigations, he would have said so, not talked about why it might be good policy and that Congress should do it.

That said, even if he does go crazy and decide to become a super-legislator after installation on the Court, given the clear precedents on the subject from the Nixon and Clinton presidencies, the odds of getting four more justices to go along with curtailing an investigation of the president are zero. If he was selected because Trump thought he would decide in this way, it was completely futile.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Ape+lust wrote: Dr Warren J. Blumenfeld wonders aloud: Why aren't social justice warriors given the same high regard as military veterans? Are they not veterans too?

I guess he missed the story of Melody Hensley, the Twitter vet who rage-called the commanding officers of soldiers who told her to go jump in a sewer :lol:
I bet more than a few SJW's saw the Black Mirror episode Nosedive and thought with the right leadership that sort of system would be a really good thing.

P.S. Thanks for getting me off Kavanaugh-rama.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Vets get way too much respect as it is.

When I asked one for advice concerning my sick cat - they were most unhelpful.

free thoughtpolice

Jugheadnaut wrote:
What a complete strawman. Where I have said anything that could remotely lead anyone to believe I'm automatically 'disbelieving a victim'
If you read it again you might see I didn't say it was you that was automatically disbelieving the victim. Some others here have their minds made up, or at least it certainly looks that way. I might add that I have never said I have completely made up my mind about any of the allegations either. When you bring up the idea that this is anything like the Pharyngula idea that women have to be automatically believed, I have never said that nor to my recollection has anyone else on this thread.
They can do similarly with the other yearbook stuff, but it's all so weak it's barely worth taking seriously, especially given his explanation they were going for a sophomoric Animal House comedic vibe.
If he lied about what this stuff in his yearbook was about it isn't evidence about whether he assaulted these girls but it does mean he lied to the senate, which is a felony and would be enough to have his nomination flushed down the toilet. At this point it would seem impossible or at least to prove or disprove the sex assault allegations but the yearbook stuff and some of the other statements he made may disqualify him.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Nobody posted this, yet?
:whistle:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If it wasn't for the beard - it would be dead-ringer for my mum.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote: If it wasn't for the beard - it would be dead-ringer for my mum.
Your mum's beard was fuller?

free thoughtpolice

A presumably moderate and large Canadian muslim org nicked for sending charity to terrorists.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4490892/cra- ... militants/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Went to the Aust. War Memorial in Canberra yesterday for the millionth time since being a kid.

I’m increasingly interested to see how it is (re?)aligning its foundation mission to our new Australia. Or does it risk becoming a half buried Statue of Liberty?

The AWM was opened during the Second World War as a museum and Shrine to ANZAC. A physical talisman to the Ofiicial Histories (which were unabashedly written with a social agenda). The place absolutely resonates ethno nationalism, it has no other purpose than to extol our unique ANZAC identity narrative within a firm contextualisation comprising place, time and people. It’s far more than a historical museum.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... P_OsDBXEYA

Here is Australia personified in the Hall of Remembrance, an odd Church of Anzac. Taken yesterday by me. :)

http://i.imgur.com/Zc1vPuj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a2gKKwQ.jpg

So. What to do, now the holies of holies is over-run with, well let’s say people with their own cultural origin stories?

Here is a bilious academic from a couple of years ago, asking her rhetorical question:

http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/doe ... l-identity
The question of Anzac's significance for multicultural Australia generated considerable heat three years ago. A report of the official National Commission on the Commemoration of the Anzac Centenary suggested that Australia's military history was 'something of a double-edged sword'. The centenary might provide opportunities for a great sense of national unity but it might also prove 'a potential area of divisiveness'. The community simply did not know what recently arrived Australians thought about the commemorations', but the centenary commemorations should be 'culturally sensitive and inclusive'.
Ah. So what is the new benchmark for relevancy?
So the question perhaps is not whether there is a place for multicultural Australians in the narratives of Gallipoli and other battles of the past, but whether the values that the Anzac legend now enshrines are ones that transcend culture, ethnicity and faith...
:cdc: :bjarte:

Pretty tough to achieve when the Centre anchors courage and sacrifice to empire and (toxic?) white male mateship all set against Bullecourt and Kokoda.

The Memorial itself is rather self consciously poking a stick at the dangerous issue. They have a classroom resource kit hidden away which comprises “case studies exploring the ethnic diversity of the Australian Imperial Force”. Ie they focus on the 200 part Chinese and 800 part aboriginal recruits (out of 420K) with laser like intensity while begging students to:
explore the cultural and ethnic diversity of the members of the AIF; challenge some traditional understandings of who the Anzacs were; and analyse the qualities attributed to the Anzacs as well as how they have become an aspirational model in the national psyche
https://www.awm.gov.au/learn/schools/re ... -diversity

There’s a slippery slope for you.

There is also a PDF “Ancestry, Stories of Multicultural Anzacs”
https://www.awm.gov.au/sites/default/fi ... y_2015.pdf

How crazy a long bow are they prepared to draw? Well check this out. The Hall has a picture of an Aussie sailor per the British naval tradition and an ode to “ancestry”. How is this defused? Its not. It’s fucking co-opted.

http://i.imgur.com/7vOg526.jpg
In the Hall of Memory at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra there are 15 stained-glass windows. Each shows a figure dressed in military uniform, and under each figure is a word which describes a quality displayed by Australians during wartime. One window features a sailor in a gunner’s uniform. He represents all the men and women who have crossed the sea in the service of our nation.

This window bears the word Ancestry.
Someone would have had a good laugh coming up with that bullshit.

I see an interesting battle shaping up for this place of pilgrimage for every Year 6 student.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

“Fucking white male”

http://i.imgur.com/G8tWPCG.jpg

Keating

Post by Keating »

All under the directorship of the "hard-right" Brendan Nelson, former leader of the "conservative" political party.

In the next election, I will be in the electorate of Bean. There was a pretty large push back to get the name of the new electorate changed because Bean was a "fucking white male", who had unacceptable views. I will give them props in calling themselves "Give Bean the flick". Unfortunately, it'll be another solid Labor seat.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well Brive, you must have some idea of the prospect of Australia by now, as you track it from your progenitors down through your progeny.

Based on your own past assessments the fruit of your loins are not quite the ideal raw clay from which to mold your vision of the future.

Though you still may get a second chance with the grand kids.

Let's see if those metaphors are mixed enough to get a rise - cf the duchess and the cake.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Mr Bean was never that funny.

And his attempted assassination of Queen Victoria puts him well and truly beyond the pale.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote: Mr Bean was never that funny.

And his attempted assassination of Queen Victoria puts him well and truly beyond the pale.
Doesn't he die in pretty much every movie or series that he's in?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote: Well Brive, you must have some idea of the prospect of Australia by now, as you track it from your progenitors down through your progeny.

Based on your own past assessments the fruit of your loins are not quite the ideal raw clay from which to mold your vision of the future.

Let's see if those metaphors are mixed enough to get a rise - cf the duchess and the cake.
Meh. A parents job is laying the foundations for the youth to return to when they turn 40.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: A parents job is laying the foundations for the youth to return to when they turn 40.
Did that work with you?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Of course. Though I’m sure it was a school/parent combo thing.

I guess it’s a variation of the quote wrongly attributed to Churchill:
If a man is not a socialist by the time he is 20, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative by the time he is 40, he has no brain.
I do remember my dad rolling his eyes when I did the whole blitz / Dresden equivalence thing.

I noticed in that AWM doc this amazingly diverse embarkation list. Even if the Indian and South Africans were no doubt white proto Nazis.

http://i.imgur.com/WCTilcD.jpg

Then I noticed the fine print. “Recreation of a sample of entries”. Fake news.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

What was it the hippies used to say - "Don't trust anyone under 40" ? Or at least don't take them seriously. Something like that.

You are sounding uncharacteristically optimistic Brive. Do you really think we can wait things until the millennials reach middle-age? And aren't there enough old radical leftists (in academia and other places) to put the lie to old age and conservatism going hand in hand?

nb I thought you were always a rather socially conservative sort - at least going by your position on same-sex marriage - or did you retrench those views after you hit 40 too?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Troll much your Orangeness?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are all being played. :lol: :lol: :lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Well Brive, you must have some idea of the prospect of Australia by now, as you track it from your progenitors down through your progeny.

Meh. A parents job is laying the foundations for the youth to return to when they turn 40.
Whose job is it to lay the pipes?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: What was it the hippies used to say - "Don't trust anyone under 40" ? Or at least don't take them seriously. Something like that.

You are sounding uncharacteristically optimistic Brive. Do you really think we can wait things until the millennials reach middle-age? And aren't there enough old radical leftists (in academia and other places) to put the lie to old age and conservatism going hand in hand?

nb I thought you were always a rather socially conservative sort - at least going by your position on same-sex marriage - or did you retrench those views after you hit 40 too?
I think it was anyone OVER 30. It was a youth movement, so (apparently) they thought that by 30 anyone would be corrupted by the system beyond trustworthiness. It always seemed like an arbitrary cutoff to me, not to mention the fact that hippies in their 20s in the 60s would be obsolete by the 70s by their own dictum.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ape+lust wrote: Well, Peez has caught whiff of Strumia.

http://archive.is/FpZZR

Did Strumia say anything about race? Right out of the gate, Peez pegged him as a white supremacist.

He's also scorning his grammar, calling his writing incoherent. An Italian guy writing in English. Peez should rebut him in Italian.

The harshest bit -- Peez participated in 3 job searches last year and Alessandro Strumia wouldn't have qualified for any of them.

So, Mr Strumia's career will probably peak in Geneva and not Morris, Minnesota. He'll just have to live with it.
It's a little ironic this guy is an Italian professor. I wonder if CERN first showed him the instrument of torture lest he not recant.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote: I think it was anyone OVER 30. It was a youth movement, so (apparently) they thought that by 30 anyone would be corrupted by the system beyond trustworthiness. It always seemed like an arbitrary cutoff to me, not to mention the fact that hippies in their 20s in the 60s would be obsolete by the 70s by their own dictum.
Yes, yes - but only in reality. Which by all accounts is overrated.

I'd heard tell that by the 70's the expression had morphed to: "Don't trust anyone".

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote: A presumably moderate and large Canadian muslim org nicked for sending charity to terrorists.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4490892/cra- ... militants/
People have been pointing out that islamic charities, especially those with ties to theocratic states, have been connected to financing terrorism for quite a while.

Good to see that Canada is doing something about this.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote: What was it the hippies used to say - "Don't trust anyone under 40" ? Or at least don't take them seriously. Something like that.

The saying doesn’t preclude old radicals. It just defines them as having no brain.

I am socially conservative. And I managed to avoid youthful idealism through the grounding of 6 years Army Reserve and early (23 yo) marriage. This probably also locked in an awareness that personal freedom is the dividend of collective strength.

I apologise for my unseemly optimism. I believe you hit an INTJ wall.
A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective. For example, INTJs are simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealists and the bitterest of cynics, a seemingly impossible conflict. But this is because INTJ types tend to believe that with effort, intelligence and consideration, nothing is impossible, while at the same time they believe that people are too lazy, short-sighted or self-serving to actually achieve those fantastic results

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

:o :o :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: I am socially conservative. And I managed to avoid youthful idealism through the grounding of 6 years Army Reserve and early (23 yo) marriage. This probably also locked in an awareness that personal freedom is the dividend of collective strength.
Ah, but there is nature as well as nurture - conservative and liberal dispositions may also have a genetic component.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... and-right/

Which makes arguing on the Internet seem doubly pointless. (Triply so in my case - as I'm a solipsist - though it could be someone else's imagination that I'm a figment of ).

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:32 am
InfraRedBucket wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 am
Eric Morecambe even...
...very Wise.
With Bert and Ernie's putative gayness being in the news again recently, I mused upon those sketches of Eric and Ernie's 'home life' - living in an apartment and often shown in the same double bed. I wasn't aware of any between the lines nod to gaiety there - not even a hint. Was that naivety on my part? The setup could have worked for that kind of humour (such things were considered funny then) - they were like an old married couple, not too happy but not as bad as Andy Capp and Flo', with Ernie definitely the long suffering wife. But they never even hinted at a gay joke, so even Mary Whitehouse laughed and enjoyed the innocent fun. These days they'd be hailed as ground-breaking heroes, even if unintentional.
morecambe_and_wise_in_bed.jpg
(62.6 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

As I understand it - there was some talk about it at the time - but they decided to go with the Laurel and Hardy tradition as it was funny.

You are probably too young(!) to recall it - but it used to be fairly common for people to share a bed.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote: As I understand it - there was some talk about it at the time - but they decided to go with the Laurel and Hardy tradition as it was funny.

You are probably too young(!) to recall it - but it used to be fairly common for people to share a bed.
My maternal grandfather (born in 1896) grew up with 9 siblings, (his mother had 14 children, 5 dying in infancy) in a two up two down east end slum, he shared a bed with 2 brothers until he left home at 17.

And you tell the kids today...... :x

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

We need a Discord Server.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I see backwater Halifax has produced a popular newspaper cartoon:
kavanaugh-cartoon-full-image-graphic.jpg
(91.67 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Nobody posted this, yet?
:whistle:
Mysognistic Boy Literally Kills Brave Transwoman Forcing Her to Deadname and Gaslight Herself !

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Hang on - I mean

Girl's Internalised Mysogeny Forces Her to Deadname and Gaslight Innocent Transwoman. All Men are To Blame.